8.4

1. Dec 25, 2012
    Fantastic job of expanding and improving, while still maintaining the feel of the original. Few developers have the guts to take on the challenge of building a team vs team gave with a non-mirrored playstyle. While the balance is delicate, and a competent team is required to get the most from games, it's a ton of fun, and well worth the wait. With a price tag at half of what big developersFantastic job of expanding and improving, while still maintaining the feel of the original. Few developers have the guts to take on the challenge of building a team vs team gave with a non-mirrored playstyle. While the balance is delicate, and a competent team is required to get the most from games, it's a ton of fun, and well worth the wait. With a price tag at half of what big developers charge for comparable content, it's a deal. Expand
  2. Jan 2, 2013
    I applaud the effort put into making this game, and the risk the developers took starting a new company and going with some new ideas. I didn't play NS1 Half Life mod, so I was turned on to this game by a friend. As soon as he said "FPS/RTS combo" I was sold. It really is a neat concept, but it is very poorly executed. On the surface, it seems like this should be a game of possibilities:I applaud the effort put into making this game, and the risk the developers took starting a new company and going with some new ideas. I didn't play NS1 Half Life mod, so I was turned on to this game by a friend. As soon as he said "FPS/RTS combo" I was sold. It really is a neat concept, but it is very poorly executed. On the surface, it seems like this should be a game of possibilities: the two sides being different, the team play, the RTS/FPS combo effect, the individual purchases and group upgrades. The end result, unfortunately, is a game of limitations. You will spend most of the game using either an ineffective assault rifle or spamming the space bar, trying not to lose proper perspective while biting. There is little variety in what you are allowed to do and the few things you can do you will not really spend much time using. Marines die quickly, so purchased weapons will be lost, aliens get greater variety but it isn't much to speak of. The levels are all the same, a function of the aliens being only melee, which gets stale quickly. The RTS as commander is a bit hard to get used to but solid once you figure it out. However, commanders don't get too many options for things to do. The game is very rigid in the build/research paths and there isn't a lot you can really do to customize the force available. With aliens you get a bit more than marines, but you can't really follow a research tree to anything unique or amazing. All in all, the limitations on what is available, and with the high prices of evolving/buying coupled with the short lifespan inherent in corridor combat games makes it a pretty unremarkable experience. Expand
  3. Oct 25, 2014
    Easily my favorite Multiplayer. Its really a shame that this game is losing players (dont get me wrong, there's still plenty of people who play - die hards at that). Unknown Worlds really dropped the ball by letting this opportunity slip away. I know people don't like microtransactions, but that could have kept the studio releasing updates consistently instead of abandoning the game andEasily my favorite Multiplayer. Its really a shame that this game is losing players (dont get me wrong, there's still plenty of people who play - die hards at that). Unknown Worlds really dropped the ball by letting this opportunity slip away. I know people don't like microtransactions, but that could have kept the studio releasing updates consistently instead of abandoning the game and giving reigns to the community. They're a great studio with a great game on their hands - Its the most organic tactical gameplay in a team based online shooter. However, considering the asymetrical teams (aliens vs humans) constant patching and balancing is necessary. Its mostly balanced, but there are times when that doesn't seem to be the case. All in all, the fact remains that I can't play any other game but NS2. Its that good to me. Precisely why, I'm so dissapointed at the Dev not capitalizing on the opportunity to really make this game big. Unkown Worlds, Please return to NS2! Enable ingame microtransactions so you folks can maintain revenue for bug fixes and new maps. Expand
  4. Feb 6, 2013
    If you like teamwork-heavy strategic gameplay, shooters, and strategy games, you should like NS2. If you also used to like playing AvP, you should love NS2. The game loses a point for occasional performance issues, but gains it back in essentially free updates and new features for life.
  5. Aug 5, 2014
    It's a unique game, with asymmetrical teams, personal resources and team resources, jetpacks, exosuits, aliens that can teleport, fly, take a tonn of damage and more. It's not the easiest game to get into if you haven't looked at any guides or something beforehand but its unusual gameplay is what makes it worthwhile. The gameplay is pretty fast paced and twitchy. You need to play as a teamIt's a unique game, with asymmetrical teams, personal resources and team resources, jetpacks, exosuits, aliens that can teleport, fly, take a tonn of damage and more. It's not the easiest game to get into if you haven't looked at any guides or something beforehand but its unusual gameplay is what makes it worthwhile. The gameplay is pretty fast paced and twitchy. You need to play as a team to succeed. If you try to go lonewolf you will die a lot, and every time you die all upgrades that you've paid for with you personal resources are lost, so you really have a strong incentive to stay alive. The game also have mod support so this means community created maps, skins etc all free content which is great. Expand
  6. Apr 28, 2013
    This is a fantastic concept, I never played NS1 but I'm very glad that they developed it into NS2.

I'm not a massive FPS fan, or a skilled FPS player, but the fact that there are definite strategic elements to this game, means that even if I can't win a certain fight, I can gain a strategic victory in some way, either by scouting for others, supporting others, building items, or simply slowing the enemy down.
    and when a game has a good commander it becomes that much easier and more fun to support your team.

Marines are fun, but I thoroughly enjoy playing as the aliens, they are very distinctive and each have their own style of play.
    The base alien unit, the "Skulk" is by no means the weakest, played properly a single skulk can zip from one side of the map to another, can ambush marines easily, and can quickly close the distance to meelay range against the better armed marines.

This game has made multiplay FPS's fun again.

Things that aren't great:

Random teams, is not random, this could be improved so easily.
    If no-ones talking then the game becomes much less fun.
    The lobby is OK but it could be better, would be nice to have a system for chatting with players outside a specific server.

A couple more game variations on gameplay would be nice, and maybe some larger "open air" maps would provide some variation.

Overall this game is a solid 8, and I am being conservative with my rating.
  7. Jan 3, 2014
    Out of most strategy games, this one is best. Unlike Dota 2, you cannot just rush in and kill; Dota 2 gives that permission. Here in Natural Selection, you actually have to lead and take charge commanding your allies to win the game; you cannot just run in and kill. I was in a 2 hour game against my friend who was on the Marine side, and I was on the Alien side, and I beat him, and he andOut of most strategy games, this one is best. Unlike Dota 2, you cannot just rush in and kill; Dota 2 gives that permission. Here in Natural Selection, you actually have to lead and take charge commanding your allies to win the game; you cannot just run in and kill. I was in a 2 hour game against my friend who was on the Marine side, and I was on the Alien side, and I beat him, and he and I thought it was a lot of fun. I would highly recommend this game to people with a taste in strategy, command, and fight. I'm not sure if the graphics are good, since I had to lower them to improve my computer's performance, but I'm pretty sure the graphics, fighting (PvP), commanding, and the way strategy plays a significant role makes this game completely awesome. Get this game and play with others, I will assure you will have a lot of fun! Expand
  8. Apr 25, 2013
    With its blend of action and strategy coupled with non-linear teams and diverse roles this game is one of the best experiences in online FPS coop to be found.
  9. Nov 16, 2012
    Great team based competitive FPS/RTS hybrid that deserves your attention. Based on the original Half-Life mod with updated features and some interesting but refreshing gameplay changes. With all the generic modern FPS shooters competing for your gaming dollar this holiday season, Natural Selection 2 is a great value. I promise you will put more hours into this game than most otherGreat team based competitive FPS/RTS hybrid that deserves your attention. Based on the original Half-Life mod with updated features and some interesting but refreshing gameplay changes. With all the generic modern FPS shooters competing for your gaming dollar this holiday season, Natural Selection 2 is a great value. I promise you will put more hours into this game than most other flavor of the month FPS that are rarely worth the full retail price you're forced to pay. Check it out! Expand
  10. Nov 2, 2012
    Natural Selection 2 game play has a unique personality, which is rare in titles today. Sure there are other games that are Hybrid RTS/FPS, but they don't offer the same level of quality and depth. The game is simple, but offers a lot of strategy and each game feels different. Playing as a gorge (combat engineer), skulk (sneaky fighter), fade (quick medium assault fighter), lerk (combatNatural Selection 2 game play has a unique personality, which is rare in titles today. Sure there are other games that are Hybrid RTS/FPS, but they don't offer the same level of quality and depth. The game is simple, but offers a lot of strategy and each game feels different. Playing as a gorge (combat engineer), skulk (sneaky fighter), fade (quick medium assault fighter), lerk (combat support), or onos (siege and heavy combat) on the alien side all feel different. Playing as a marine or exo-suit (GOLIATH ONLINE) are fun experiences. If you enjoy team game play, you'll love Natural Selection 2 since each role benefits the team in a unique way.

Natural Selection 2 is basically a delicious cheap wine that will only taste better as it ages. For $25, this game is already a bargain and the developers have committed themselves to improving it post-release. Additionally, mods can provide additional content for no cost to the purchaser.

There are a few issues that need work including networking and performance. If it were a $40 or $60 game I might be a bit more strict on the performance of the engine. The developers have committed themselves to improving performance after release.
  11. Nov 9, 2012
    Natural Selection 2 is one of the best Tactical Shooter Games of the Year... Because no other one use a so likely concept... Good Work Unknown Worlds Entertainment!
  12. Oct 31, 2012
    Amazing game, sticking to it's roots as a PC mod and asymmetrical shooter. Refusing to dumb down their game and create a work of art independently this company developed it's own engine with a group of 5 or so people and the work they've done is ASTOUNDING, better then some supposed triple A titles with a huge budget and staff. This is one of the defining reasons why PC gaming is not deadAmazing game, sticking to it's roots as a PC mod and asymmetrical shooter. Refusing to dumb down their game and create a work of art independently this company developed it's own engine with a group of 5 or so people and the work they've done is ASTOUNDING, better then some supposed triple A titles with a huge budget and staff. This is one of the defining reasons why PC gaming is not dead and why it remains the best for real, raw and intense gameplay that is unique and not a retextured mess of everything sold to the kiddies on Xbox already. I tip my hat to Unknown Worlds and what they've been able to do. Expand
  13. Oct 31, 2012
    This is a fun multiplayer game that has a lot of potential, it contains a team element not often seen in games of this generation. You feel a connection to your team and when your team and your commander are working together there is nothing more satisfying. I would say that you should get this game if you plan to play it while working with people. no lone wolf crap. my only complaint isThis is a fun multiplayer game that has a lot of potential, it contains a team element not often seen in games of this generation. You feel a connection to your team and when your team and your commander are working together there is nothing more satisfying. I would say that you should get this game if you plan to play it while working with people. no lone wolf crap. my only complaint is the lack of tutorial for the commander mode, and i always felt intimidated to get in it since it could ruin the game for my team. Expand
  14. Nov 1, 2012
    This is an excellent example of an FPS that doesn't compromise to "compete" with games like COD or BF3. It sticks to its rots and remains largely the same game it was 10 years ago, only this time with actual production value. The shooting is solid, the teamplay is tight, and brings all of the asymmetrical gameplay [that made the original mod stand out] back to the table, with all theThis is an excellent example of an FPS that doesn't compromise to "compete" with games like COD or BF3. It sticks to its rots and remains largely the same game it was 10 years ago, only this time with actual production value. The shooting is solid, the teamplay is tight, and brings all of the asymmetrical gameplay [that made the original mod stand out] back to the table, with all the balance of the original. I'm not sure this is a game that will appeal to the "War Shooter" fan, but should stick out to anyone that's looking for a change of pace from the same old yearly releases we've been seeing over the last 5 or so years. There's a reason that we're all gushing praise for this game, because it's one that deserves it. Expand
  15. Oct 31, 2012
    An amazing sequel of the Half-Life mod Natural Selection. The developers have done an outstanding job and really pushed the limits of indie game design. This game deserves a 10 for many reasons, but the biggest has to be the perseverance and skill shown by the developers.
  16. Jan 6, 2013
    Marvelous game, every bit as entertaining as Natural Selection was years ago. The most important thing to understand about this game is that everything was made by a handful of dedicated people with an ENORMOUS modding community behind their back every step of the way. New content will be continuously released (including combat mode from ns1) on a monthly/weekly basis including: maps,Marvelous game, every bit as entertaining as Natural Selection was years ago. The most important thing to understand about this game is that everything was made by a handful of dedicated people with an ENORMOUS modding community behind their back every step of the way. New content will be continuously released (including combat mode from ns1) on a monthly/weekly basis including: maps, models and skins, game types, etc.
    As with any mixed-genre game, getting a grasp of ns2 can be a challenge. Marines/aliens with sub-par FPS skills will be worse off than the counter-strike gods, and commanders that breathe Red Alert will be tactical masters in just a few games. There is variety of playing styles to suit you, whether its being a scout for your team to warn of incoming threats/enemy positions, supporting by building or protecting valuable ground, or endlessly assaulting the enemy base, you can sink hours at a time into this game without even knowing you've killed half of your free day.
    Sadly, as with most online games (mostly the PC versions), teamwork is a HEAVY requirement. For some people this may make the game, for others it will break it, but regardless playing with friends and communicating with your team is HIGHLY ENCOURAGED. Remember, you could easily kill a few marines and look cool, or you could strategically kill the power and prevent many more from spawning.
    Now for the reason it can't be a 10, and maybe never will be... Latency scripting. No matter how 'professional' or 'godlike' or 'stronk' you may be, having a ping above 100 will ALMOST ALWAYS ruin your gameplay. You might hear things like "wall hacker" and "godmode" and such, when in reality you're shooting 2 feet behind the skulk lagging like a b*tch, or biting where the marine was nearly a second ago. Sure, your damage drawer might shot -420 on a skulk, but that guy dodged every shot on his screen, and he happened to roll a 6 this time around while you got a 5. For this, all I can say is to bear with UWE until they can polish their coding. Until then, for everyone's sake, don't join a server if your ping is gnarly.
    Anywho, if you played the first NS, you owe it to yourself (and possibly your childhood) to buy this game. Great remix of classic NS1, with a few additional key elements to balance it out once and for all, as well as some added quirks, tech tree elements, and skills.

P.S. currently $10 on steam until 1/7/13
  17. Nov 9, 2012
    This game is deep and fun but overall is very original, having played the original mod all those years ago, its been created as a standalone game masterfully and has embarrassed the CoD clones in how the game plays and its intelligent design, ignore the haters its a masterpiece of MutiPlayer gaming.
  18. Jan 17, 2013
    Brilliant sequel of good old NS which was... legendary, it took best part of it and added some new awesomeness. It is stongly tied on a teamwork, good commander can do the match, and weak one fails it at the start. So don't try to jump to the console if you don't know what to do.
  19. Oct 31, 2012
    This game is stupendous. It manages to mix RTS and FPS, which alone is ridiculous, but it also has two completely different sides that are both a ton of fun to play... and it's balanced! Holy cow. The graphics are amazing and climbing on walls as aliens or flying around or teleporting is tons of fun. Easily one of the greatest multiplayer games since the original Natural Selection.
  20. Nov 3, 2012
    The first time I jumped into NS2 I was shocked that this game is so polished and enjoyable. It's amazing to see an indie studio coming from a mod doing such a great job. It's worth every penny and I know it will be a title to plays for months / years to come. Especially with the large amount of Modding and eSports support released with it! My only wish is that the Gamer Media would writeThe first time I jumped into NS2 I was shocked that this game is so polished and enjoyable. It's amazing to see an indie studio coming from a mod doing such a great job. It's worth every penny and I know it will be a title to plays for months / years to come. Especially with the large amount of Modding and eSports support released with it! My only wish is that the Gamer Media would write more about it to get more players in! Expand
  21. Nov 14, 2012
    We (the fans of NS1) have been waiting for a long time for this gem. This game has it's own in-house developed engine, it's not an eye-blow, but it's cool ! The infestation is spreading dynamically, power loses can be really spooky. I love this game, it's both good for causal and competitive gaming ! A legend. 10 out of 10.
  22. Nov 20, 2012
    Natural Selection is one of the most innovative games I have ever played in my life.

The sheer value of this game is astronomical. What a neat idea of incorporating RTS with FPS. If you like team based multiplayer games, this one is for you. The team of 7 people did a phenomenal job of truly making this a sequel of Natural Selection 1. Highly Recommend this to everyone!
  23. Dec 16, 2012
    If you don't own NS2, I highly recommend you pick it up. The game is absolutely GORGEous! The game play is addicting and with FPS and RTS elements you simply can't go wrong spending hours in this game.

The game balance is a little off and that's the only reason I've deducted a single point from this title. When they come back and address this, I'll rewrite this review. Anyway, the

Anyway, the fact that they've opened it to the Steam community with the workshop has brought a LOT of custom content including the old school game type, Combat, as well as maps from the previous game (NS1) and re-skins for just about everything. This fact alone helps push this community and the game to another level.

A tip for people playing as marines... disable atmospherics. This will allow you to see clearly when other players are using their flashlights. If it doesn't bother you, it really adds a realistic lighting effect to the entire game and looks absolutely beautiful, I just wish they would tone it down a bit so it doesn't hinder visibility. All in all, if you like FPS and RTS games, this is a must own and a no-brainer.
  24. Dec 23, 2012
    The most fun I've had in a long time! I have got all my friends hooked on it. Definitely worth the money! Do not hesitate to buy this! You won't regret it!
  25. Dec 19, 2012
    I played Natural Selection mod for Half-Life and it absolutely thrilled me. As I heard about Natural Selection 2 is in developement I was following every single step from the dev-team regarding NS2 and when it came out I did not get disappointed. To me it is the game of the year and one of the best games ever created.
  26. Mar 8, 2013
    Unless all the fanboys, I see that game with different eyes. The most upsetting part of this game is the still existing unbalance between the Marines and the Aliens. Most of the time the Aliens win the Mid/Late game, because they have their Über-Unit (Onos) that stomps everything in the ground. So that game is fun for a shot time on the Aliens-Side, but after they get their Über-Unit it'sUnless all the fanboys, I see that game with different eyes. The most upsetting part of this game is the still existing unbalance between the Marines and the Aliens. Most of the time the Aliens win the Mid/Late game, because they have their Über-Unit (Onos) that stomps everything in the ground. So that game is fun for a shot time on the Aliens-Side, but after they get their Über-Unit it's getting quite boring and lacks in long time motivation. Expand
  27. Jan 16, 2013
    Absolutely amazing what Unknown Worlds has done. This game is great and a lot of fun too. Pair up with some friends and it gets even better. I'm always a fan of watching the competitive matches in this as well. It seems as though less and less games have a competitive atmosphere nowadays.
  28. Jan 24, 2013
    Natural Selection 2 deserves your attention!

Natural Selection 2 deserves your attention!

NS2 is a fantastic blend of FPS/RTS and this mixture makes for unique gameplay you wont see anywhere else. The developers 'Unknown Worlds' are progressively supporting their title and have introduced a great many fixes and changes to ensure it makes an impression. I am particularly impressed with their level design, which offers a diversity that both parties (Marines/Aliens) can adapt to and use to turn the tide of a match.

I have seen previous negative reviews with regards to the battles in NS2 and for the most part, they're biased. I have seen both Marines and Alien parties coordinate with one another to create strategies that ultimately win the match. Such as aliens running in packs of 3, focusing power nodes (very important power supply) to harass Marines or Marines splitting in to groups of two to harass two main Alien 'bases' to split the opposition up.

NS2 is a breath of fresh air and with the way the developers are backing this game, I would suggest that anyone remotely interested give it a try, it will only get better and that's not mentioning how mod friendly it is.
  29. Mar 3, 2013
    Bought it yesterday and all I can say is fantastic! It's the best FPS I've played since TF2. The gameplay is unique and really enjoyable. It has such good controls that I am able to play the Skulk (Standard Alien) pretty decent now. It doesn't encourage teamplay every player is forced by the mechanics to be a teamplayer. The community seems pretty nice there are some scumbags not talkingBought it yesterday and all I can say is fantastic! It's the best FPS I've played since TF2. The gameplay is unique and really enjoyable. It has such good controls that I am able to play the Skulk (Standard Alien) pretty decent now. It doesn't encourage teamplay every player is forced by the mechanics to be a teamplayer. The community seems pretty nice there are some scumbags not talking english in team chat getting upset if nobody understands them) but all in all this game is nearly perfect. Expand
  30. Feb 11, 2013
    I'm a fan of this game. It reminds me a lot of other team based first person shooters (such are Team Fortress) where you can pick from different roles and get an entirely different game play experiences. This is especially nice if you're having an off day in one aspect of the game, just jump to something else. It's also a little bit arcadey in that there's not precise aiming. I keep tryingI'm a fan of this game. It reminds me a lot of other team based first person shooters (such are Team Fortress) where you can pick from different roles and get an entirely different game play experiences. This is especially nice if you're having an off day in one aspect of the game, just jump to something else. It's also a little bit arcadey in that there's not precise aiming. I keep trying to pull up the cross hairs to score head-shots, forgetting that it's just not that kind of game. With so much going on, you really need to spend time honing skills before moving on. Trying to be a jack of all trades too early and you'll stink at everything indefinitely. Instead, practicing with the basic marine and skulk first is a good way to get a firm understanding of what's going on in a way that's always going to be helpful to your teammates because: You are heavily reliant on teammates. A good commander or a good team can overcome deficiencies in other areas. Inversely, strong deficiencies can tank a whole team. Doesn't matter if you're the best FPS in the world. Without upgrades and backup, your skills will be moot against the enemy. It's this that makes it truly a team game. When you win, it feels like everything aligned and you were part of some hand-picked dream team. When you lose, it's fun too, but for different reasons.I'd highly recommend it if you've enjoyed similar team games. One odd side point: the RTS part of this game tends to draw out the Star Craft nerds while the FPS tends to draw out COD jocks. It's a strangely diverse gaming environment (especially when people start getting upset). Reminds me of high school. Expand
  31. Nov 23, 2013
    Very steep learning curve, but there is so much depth to this game. The blend of RTS and team-based shooter is unique, and it is fantastic. Difficulty and necessity of teamwork weeds out all the young and annoying gamers, there is a real level of maturity to the players in this game. I've never played a competitive multiplayer game where hostility was so pleasantly absent. The community isVery steep learning curve, but there is so much depth to this game. The blend of RTS and team-based shooter is unique, and it is fantastic. Difficulty and necessity of teamwork weeds out all the young and annoying gamers, there is a real level of maturity to the players in this game. I've never played a competitive multiplayer game where hostility was so pleasantly absent. The community is somewhat small, but I selfishly hope it stays that way, because I don't want to see it spoiled. Expand
  32. Aug 18, 2013
    battlefield 1942 and natural selection 1 2 are the games with the most gametime i have in. its so much fun you can decide to play strategy when you go commander or you play as a skulk for more action. when you want a little slower gameplay you choose the gorge and build hydras( turrets) or block entrances to defend a specific location. there so many ways you can play it never gets boring.battlefield 1942 and natural selection 1 2 are the games with the most gametime i have in. its so much fun you can decide to play strategy when you go commander or you play as a skulk for more action. when you want a little slower gameplay you choose the gorge and build hydras( turrets) or block entrances to defend a specific location. there so many ways you can play it never gets boring. there was already a free dlc and the next is coming on 30th august with a new map, female marine and much more. Expand
  33. Nov 27, 2013
    Natural Selection 2 is a asymmetrical FPS/Strategy hybrid. The game consists of 2 teams; marines and aliens and both sides have a commander. The thing I like most is the map design and the graphics are pretty decent. However, if you’re thinking about picking this up, I wouldn't bother due to the humble bundle, steam sales, patches, the game has not only changed significantly, the communityNatural Selection 2 is a asymmetrical FPS/Strategy hybrid. The game consists of 2 teams; marines and aliens and both sides have a commander. The thing I like most is the map design and the graphics are pretty decent. However, if you’re thinking about picking this up, I wouldn't bother due to the humble bundle, steam sales, patches, the game has not only changed significantly, the community has gone downhill. This game was perfect upon release with the community being the highlight but it has now passed it's golden age, the regulars are long gone with the “balance test” patch. I usually play as commander now I keep getting ejected over extremely trivial things like: not having a mic and not building specific things early in the game. People also don't follow orders and blame it on you for things not going well. The gameplay changed significantly due to map modifications and game breaking nerfs and buffs. The hitboxes on aliens isn’t great especially for lerks. If you're looking for a decent RTS game, there are better games out there like the total war series. If you're looking for a FPS game, there is counterstrike. However, if you are still interested, I would recommend either getting a mic or playing this with a bunch of friends, otherwise be prepared for endless amounts of frustration Expand
  34. Dec 6, 2013
    A bit overrated but still a good game. When i bought this game on steam i wasent expecting much, just a typical online shooter and that's more or less what i got. The game has strategic elements as well but all you do is build structures on territory's you have captured. You get to play as either the aliens or the marines and i found that playing as the aliens was much more fun. you get toA bit overrated but still a good game. When i bought this game on steam i wasent expecting much, just a typical online shooter and that's more or less what i got. The game has strategic elements as well but all you do is build structures on territory's you have captured. You get to play as either the aliens or the marines and i found that playing as the aliens was much more fun. you get to climb on walls and tag enemy players so that other players know where they are. There are about 5 classes on the alien team and all are fun to play as. Now negative things about the game, the game has no xp or leveling up, no customization of characters, no leaderboards or stats so you cant compare scores with friends, which should be in a multiplayer game. Games like CS GO and Planetside 2 have these features and Planetside is free. So why buy this game, because its fun and i enjoyed playing it for a while. But quickly it got a bit repetitive and dident really care if i won or lost. Also there is one game type, no team deathmatch no capture the flag no free for all. The only game type is building up your base and taking the whole map which is a great mode but i want more variety. If you like sci fi shooters then get this game, it only cost me about £4 so you get a good game for the price. Expand
  35. Nov 6, 2014
    I have never felt the need to write a review for metacritic until I discovered this game. I wanted to share this masterpiece of a game with the world! Natural Selection 2 is by no means a perfect game, but it is extremely enjoyable, addicting, and just plain fun. This game mixes strategy, first person shooter, and RTS elements all into one game. If shooters aren't your thing, then youI have never felt the need to write a review for metacritic until I discovered this game. I wanted to share this masterpiece of a game with the world! Natural Selection 2 is by no means a perfect game, but it is extremely enjoyable, addicting, and just plain fun. This game mixes strategy, first person shooter, and RTS elements all into one game. If shooters aren't your thing, then you can jump into the hive (yeah ALIENS!) or the command chair. Teamwork leads to victory and having a strong and cooperative team will bring you far. Both sides, the Frontiersmen (marines) and the kharaa (aliens) have unique strategies and combat options. If you're a fan of the alien franchise you'll probably love this game. NS2 is what Aliens Colonial Marines should have been like- fast paced and full of alien destruction. NS2 has a great rookie-friendly community all of who are always available to help out. So please, buy this amazing game! Expand
  36. Nov 2, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Buy this game if you like:

- Natural Selection 1
    - Nuclear Dawn
    - Savage series
    - Left 4 Dead series
    - Alien vs Predator series
    - Gloom(Quake 2)
  37. Sep 4, 2013
    It's so awesome, but as the thunder bolt goes, its bar is too high for normal FPS players. Its graphic is credibly nice, but the system requirement is also very high too. The reason why the game isn't hot enough is its high skill requirement and its system requirement. The game is marvelous. Also, it harms your graphic card.
  38. Oct 31, 2012
    Amazing game, I've been looking for a game that I won't get BORED of (pretty much most games out there right now), and NS2 is it. The shooting mechanics are more fun than any modern military shooter out there, and playing as an alien is a refreshing ton of fun. The strategy element is amazing if you are into RTS, because you have to use voice communication to be an effective commander.
  39. Nov 6, 2012
    Possibly the best multiplayer game I've ever played. Strategy and teamwork are absolutely crucial to winning a round, and the feeling of satisfaction you get when your team moves to victory like a well-oiled machine is intensely gratifying. This, combined with frantic, fast-paced alien combat, makes for an absolutely fantastic multiplayer experience.
  40. Nov 15, 2012
    Extraordinary game. Brings me great joy to see UWE as an indie developer being able to ship a AAA-title. I believe there is something for everyone who is a fan of either genre in this game, go get it!
  41. Nov 1, 2012
    This game is a mint fresh breath in the gaming world. It's very innovative and a blast to play. What i like the most about the game is the way it supports and encourages MODS.
  42. Oct 31, 2012
    Based on a 10 year old Half-Life 1 mod, the developers set out to create a standalone sequel, company, and their own engine (The Spark Engine) to one of the most popular Mods ever created. No small feat. What they have accomplished has been nothing short of incredible. Not only is the game more fun and more accessible to new players than the first game was, but their source code & toolsBased on a 10 year old Half-Life 1 mod, the developers set out to create a standalone sequel, company, and their own engine (The Spark Engine) to one of the most popular Mods ever created. No small feat. What they have accomplished has been nothing short of incredible. Not only is the game more fun and more accessible to new players than the first game was, but their source code & tools come with the game, so ANYONE can make their own mods in a simple scripting language called Lua. Teamplay is encouraged by the game mechanics themselves, which forces players to play together, encouraging a friendly vibrant community. With the community's backing, the amazing game and technology you get for such a low price, this might just make NS2 one of the most important games of recent times. Not just for how amazingly fun the actual gameplay is, but for what it could mean for Modders and total conversions in the future. This game might just spawn the next Dota. A truly spectacular achievement for such a small company. Expand
  43. Oct 31, 2012
    This is a REAL PC game created by an indipendent studio consisting of around 10 members of staff.
    It is an online, team based FPS/RTS which blends the two styles of game play flawlessly! The game is fully moddable and comes with all the tools you could ever want to make mods, maps, cinematics or even your own completely new game.
    What I like best about the title though, is the
    What I like best about the title though, is the aforementioned development team. They gave out 45,000 free copies for goodness sake. I think major games development companies should step up, take note and learn!
  44. Oct 31, 2012
    Simply put, I have never had more fun online than I've had with this game and it's predecessor. Unless you play games competitively, you've probably never experienced what it's like to play with a coordinated team, and NS2 through the subtleties of it's design accomplishes that with every pub game.
  45. Oct 31, 2012
    Amazing game where teamwork is not an option. FPS/RTS design forces cooperation in order to improve your own loadout as well as others. Your play is not completely dictated by the Commander as each person has personal resources to buy weapons with once they have been. Excellent gaming community which discourages trolls. Graphics are good and fast spawns, high movement speed andAmazing game where teamwork is not an option. FPS/RTS design forces cooperation in order to improve your own loadout as well as others. Your play is not completely dictated by the Commander as each person has personal resources to buy weapons with once they have been. Excellent gaming community which discourages trolls. Graphics are good and fast spawns, high movement speed and teleportation buildings make for low downtime. That said there is a high learning curve and the maps are complex especially the ventilation system used by the alien side. Can be unforgiving and cause you to lose your heavy weapons quickly. If you play games to become GOOD, don't mind working with a team towards team based goals and not just to get high K/D and unlock awards then this game is a must. Expand
  46. Oct 31, 2012
    Natural Selection 2 is a fantastic game that blends first-person shooting with RTS elements. The dynamic map control reflected through growing/receding infestation helps to reinforce the atmospheric nature of the game. Probably the friendliest, most enjoyable community that I've ever seen in gaming, the mechanics of the game actually encourage helpfulness and cooperative teamplay. I'm notNatural Selection 2 is a fantastic game that blends first-person shooting with RTS elements. The dynamic map control reflected through growing/receding infestation helps to reinforce the atmospheric nature of the game. Probably the friendliest, most enjoyable community that I've ever seen in gaming, the mechanics of the game actually encourage helpfulness and cooperative teamplay. I'm not sure what else to say -- if you don't like this game, maybe team-based first person shooters just aren't for you. Expand
  47. Oct 31, 2012
    The game is really great! The graphics are awesome with plenty of colors (compared to today
  48. Nov 14, 2012
    First of all I played the first one and god I played it a lot and had good times, so I was expecting a lot from NS2, and well...Unknown Worlds did a great job. The teamplay what ever the side you choose makes the gameplay really good. The sound and the visuals are perfect, specially the light effects. Sadly there's some performance issues, but they're still really small problems and theFirst of all I played the first one and god I played it a lot and had good times, so I was expecting a lot from NS2, and well...Unknown Worlds did a great job. The teamplay what ever the side you choose makes the gameplay really good. The sound and the visuals are perfect, specially the light effects. Sadly there's some performance issues, but they're still really small problems and the game is easily playable for a normal computer. For a small team, they achieved something really big that some big companies can't even make that perfect. Great game, obvious buy for 25$. Expand
  49. Oct 31, 2012
    Apologies in advance for the horrible writing.

Apologies in advance for the horrible writing.

For me, this game is an extremely impressive feat, and a game I will be playing for a very long time. It's a fun team-based shooter that seems like a horrible gimic at first, but reveals itself to be an incredibly deep strategic game. The gameplay is wonderful and fresh. The aliens are fast and fun to play and have a variety of unique abilities, especially the fade with its ability to blink across the map at incredible speeds and slash down marines with its scythe-like arms. The marines are quite enjoyable as well, with their well designed weapons and tools. Mixing an RTS and a shooter doesn't sound like it would work at first, but is incredibly well implemented, with obvious care from the developers that really took care to make into solid game mechanic, rather than a horribly implemented gimic tacked on to a generic shooter.

The graphics are very impressive for an indie game, holding up quite well compared to even AAA titles, and are a surprisingly colorful getaway from the mottled grey-brown of modern military shooters. For the most part, the animations are very fluid and nice to look at, and the game feels very smooth in general. The game has an immense replayability as well, not only for its incredible mod support. Though there are only five, the maps are very large and conducive to a large number of strategies, and the random spawn points for each team add a great variety. What really impresses me is the game's ability to constantly surpise you with new things, even after playing for a while. The game naturally opens up to you piece by piece as you play, far more preferable to me than the standard "level-up" progression system. You start as a simple unit following the commanders orders, and eventually become experienced enough to dominate the field with a jetpack and shotgun as a marine or a fade as an alien. Once you realize the nuances of the strategy, you can assume the position of the commander and lead your entire team.

Above all, what I really respect about this game is the fact that it dared to deviate from the endless stream of modern shooters. The developers made it as a multiplayer game, and didn't waste resources tacking on an unnecessary campaign just to raise the price. They refused to add ironsights so the gameplay would be better, and didn't try to become a "me too" shooter. Unknown Worlds made an ambitious game with a clear identity and a clear purpose, and after almost six years of beta development they clearly care about their game. This game is a perfect example of quality over quantity. Hopefully Natural Selection 2 will set an example for shooter developers in the future. All in all, a highly recommended game that you can enjoy for a long time.
  50. Nov 1, 2012
    At last a PC multiplayer game that isn't a load of consolised trash, have a stupid unlock tree and xp system, and isn't a bunch of free to play ****

The game combines FPS and RTS seamlessly and there are fewer more satisfying victories in gaming than succeeding as a commander.
  51. Nov 2, 2012
    What can I say about this game other than it really took me by surprise. The game seamlessly blends RTS and FPS elements which ends up producing rounds that have isolated, but intense firefights in the beginning, followed by all out team fights later in the rounds. Playing either side, marines or aliens, proves to be balanced and fun given all the different unit customizations the gameWhat can I say about this game other than it really took me by surprise. The game seamlessly blends RTS and FPS elements which ends up producing rounds that have isolated, but intense firefights in the beginning, followed by all out team fights later in the rounds. Playing either side, marines or aliens, proves to be balanced and fun given all the different unit customizations the game offers. The game randomizes where the players start in the beginning, which makes for increased replay value since every round plays out differently.

Having never played the original HL1 mod this game is based off of, I was really impressed by the fact that this game was developed independently. This game has a sort of "old school" feel to it, apparent right from the very moment you start the game with a complete lack of branding before the main menu screen. I think they did a great job at capturing what players want out of a strategy-based FPS game: fast-paced action mixed with intelligent, strategic elements and great replay value. Would be 10 of 10 if they included some sort of way to track your player's game statistics and compare against others.
  52. Nov 4, 2012
    I really enjoy real time strategy games, I can certainly enjoy a good first person shooter. I love teamwork. This game rolls these ideas extremely well into one. I loved the first natural selection and I have very much enjoyed this one. This game is heavily team work oriented, it isn't likely that two or three really good players are going to carry a team in a large game.

However,

However, there is an aspect I honestly wish for. An MMO aspect to this game. I don't mean the BS lobby version either. An MMOFPSRTS game based around this concept would be pretty amazing. In any case, this game is pretty fantastic. Counter strike source+starcraft 2 with a healthy dash of team work mechanics. Delicious.
  53. Nov 4, 2012
    Natural Selection 2 is a game that you will want to show to all your friends. Anyone interested in a new multiplayer experience rich with teamwork and strategy should check it out.

The game is also going to be supported and updated well beyond it's release, so there is more content to come and common issues will be promptly addressed.
  54. Nov 4, 2012
    I have played this game for about 3 hours so far, and I've been having a blast with it! I think I prefer the marines over the aliens though, which does sometimes present a problem when joining a server that is full on marines. The graphics are good, it is on a fresh engine, NOT a recycled IW engine, Quake engine, UT engine, etc... what a refreshing experience. The combination of strategyI have played this game for about 3 hours so far, and I've been having a blast with it! I think I prefer the marines over the aliens though, which does sometimes present a problem when joining a server that is full on marines. The graphics are good, it is on a fresh engine, NOT a recycled IW engine, Quake engine, UT engine, etc... what a refreshing experience. The combination of strategy and FPS is a great combination. As a long time CoD and Starcraft player, I think I will love this game. Expand
  55. Nov 5, 2012
    I used to be a fanatic old school gamer, with games like TFC and NS1 being played daily. But ever since i got addicted to WoW for 5 years and lost my interest in every game that got released within 5 minutes.. until NS2! What a great game, fresh gameplay, actual teamplay, and moddable, can't wait for total conversion mods to pop up ( Warcraft fps/rts mod anyone ? ). Great bunch ofI used to be a fanatic old school gamer, with games like TFC and NS1 being played daily. But ever since i got addicted to WoW for 5 years and lost my interest in every game that got released within 5 minutes.. until NS2! What a great game, fresh gameplay, actual teamplay, and moddable, can't wait for total conversion mods to pop up ( Warcraft fps/rts mod anyone ? ). Great bunch of developers, dedicated to update the game for years to come! Expand
  56. 6ix
    Nov 5, 2012
    Excellent RTS/FPS hybrid, based on the original Half Life mod. Almost 10 years in development and it shows. A team of seven guys (only 3 the first few years) were able to put out something more refined, balanced, and enjoyable than most triple-A multi-million dollar titles. Incredibly unique gameplay, brilliant art direction, and jaw-dropping visuals. There are a few minor kinks with theExcellent RTS/FPS hybrid, based on the original Half Life mod. Almost 10 years in development and it shows. A team of seven guys (only 3 the first few years) were able to put out something more refined, balanced, and enjoyable than most triple-A multi-million dollar titles. Incredibly unique gameplay, brilliant art direction, and jaw-dropping visuals. There are a few minor kinks with the initial launch, but the dev team is constantly on top of things, gathering community feedback, keeping everyone informed, and releasing tweaks & updates. Do yourself a favor, check this one out, and support an indie team of less than 10 guys that dedicated a decade of their lives to make this happen. Expand
  57. Nov 6, 2012
    The game is really good, but it is a little uneven & is only partially baked. UWE is planning to use a TF2 model & continue to support the game with additional tweaks and content, so the question is whether the current experience will drive & sustain enough sales to make that happen.

++ art, modeling, environment -- the vision obscuring effects are overdone & are too stackable ++

++ art, modeling, environment
    -- the vision obscuring effects are overdone & are too stackable

++ asymmetric playstyle, roles - provides a lot to learn & if you want to specialize & avoid certain parts of the game you can do that & still contribute
    -- into the fire learning - no tutorial, can lead to frustration. game really needs some rudimentary bots & scenarios to extend the explore mode.
    ++ fantastic moments in both individual and team play, possibility for some fun sandboxing
    -- overly extended games on pubs when the outcome is a forgone conclusion - either with turtling Or an attacking team that doesn't close the deal & drags it out too long

++ extendable platform: mod tools, game source, steam workshop
    -- performance: uwe has done some miracles here considering the game architecture, but it is still lacking for low/mid level machines. tools are ok, but need a pass to improve them. API doc is pretty much read the code.

++ marine experience is familiar and is fairly complete - tech paths across games are quite similar though, varying a bit in timing depending on available res.
    -- aliens are playable & are sitting around a 50% win rate, but they still need a fair amount of work & UWE is working on doing this: improved movement, scaling, lifeform viability, tier3 abilities

++ community - passionate & ihere is a sense of ownership so opinions run high. the game is benefiting greatly from contributions so I think it will improve/grow much faster than if uwe was doing it alone.
    -- sometimes UWE listens to the wrong people :)
  58. Nov 6, 2012
    In it's current state the game is a ton of fun but rates an 8/10. With future development and for its groundbreaking genre it could be a 10/10. The game play is a ton of fun, the community has been awesome, and win or lose me and my friends always have a good time. There is work that needs and will be done on the game, it can only get better. If you enjoyed AVP you will LOVE this game.
  59. Nov 7, 2012
    Yes! After years of waiting i finally get to play NS2. For me it's hard to imagine what new players might be thinking of NS2 judging from the launch trailer and some game play videos on You Tube. Since this page is already filled with great reviews i will try to give you a subjective impression of why NS2 is so special:

1. Team play and communication: To me NS1 has always been the only

1. Team play and communication:
    To me NS1 has always been the only sufficiently intellectually satisfying MP-game. And so is NS2! I've tried many great source mods. I am thinking of mods like "Dystopia", "The Hidden: Source" and the shamefully under-appreciated "Eternal Silence". Great games, but i always missed the kind of communication and teamwork i knew from NS. You simply have to work as a team if you want to stand a chance!

2. Versatility: even as a lone wolf with great aim you can make a difference (here i disagree with most reviewers. You still h. Taking out 3 unsuspecting Skulks can be a big blow to the alien team during the early stages of a match. But you better be an excellent shooter if you are going to try moving out alone. And if you aspire to aggressively fight back against Fades and the mighty Onos you better master your Jet Pack! For players like me sticking with a squad or defending an outpost is the more suitable task. Is the action outside of that 2. Hive location too hot for your skill level? Are you feeling like the most useless canon fodder? Move to the far end of the map and kill 2 or 3 resource towers. Your team will actually see the results in a reduction of the pressure put to the front line by the opposing team.

3. The community and the developers: even as a socially awkward bystander you can feel it! They gave away a free key of their game to every player who had purchased it during the beta just to celebrate the launch (and of course further spread the title). It's just incredible to see what these guys have achieved. I can only thank Unknwon World Entertainment for thousands of hours of fun both in the past and and in the future.

And now for a last round before i go to sleep...
  60. Nov 7, 2012
    Excellent game. This game easily competes (and exceeds) with AAA titles graphically and game-play wise. If you are looking for a game that doesn't cater to console gamers and puts the skill back into FPSs this is your game. No levels or achievements here, your reward after hours of game-play is sharpened skills and better strategies. In NS2 teamwork is crucial but finds away not to forceExcellent game. This game easily competes (and exceeds) with AAA titles graphically and game-play wise. If you are looking for a game that doesn't cater to console gamers and puts the skill back into FPSs this is your game. No levels or achievements here, your reward after hours of game-play is sharpened skills and better strategies. In NS2 teamwork is crucial but finds away not to force it. The game as a whole will only continue to get better with free content updates and patches. If this product is just the beginning i cant wait to see what Unknown Worlds does next. Expand
  61. Nov 8, 2012
    Fantastical concept, fantastical execution, fantastical game.
    I loved NS1, so I may be biased, but I really like this game and I have spent all free time I have playing it. It's really a great successor to the original and it does what it sets out to do, for sure.
    Fantastical concept, fantastical execution, fantastical game.
    It needs some polishing, some balancing and maybe a couple of performance-fixes - But the potential is just oozing and it is a game that is already awesome in spite of the rough edges.
    For only 22
  62. Nov 8, 2012
    --- After more than 300 hours in the game, I can safely say this is an incredible game with a ton of replayability and amazing value at $25. It has a few issues, particularly technical glitches, but I would say they're minor, and don't take away from the main experience.

--- The game has many ideas that are either new or rare in video games: -1- Distinct races, RTS + FPS: Each team

--- The game has many ideas that are either new or rare in video games:

-1- Distinct races, RTS + FPS: Each team has team resources, and each player has personal resources. Each team has one commander that guides the rest of the team. For marines, there is a very direct relationship; the commander places blueprints for buildings (such as resource extractors) that the marines themselves have to build (in first person view). The marine commander also drops medpacks and ammo to help his team during the intense battles, scans cloaked areas for them, and researches new technology that makes the marines fiercer in battle. On the alien side, the relationship is more passive; the commander still directs the team and the expansions to some degree, but there is more autonomy, and there are even some aliens that can build defensive structures using their personal resources. Distinct races are not entirely new (e.g. Starcraft 1/2 had distinct races) in RTS games, but quite rare in FPS games, and even more rare is it being this distinct, yet well balanced and fun.

-2- Fully dynamic lighting/shadows in a multiplayer game. Marines build power nodes to power their structures and their lights, and aliens can destroy those power nodes. In the dark, the marines can use their flashlights (severely affecting peripheral vision, primarily), and aliens can turn on their own unique vision, which makes the marines and structure easy to see (but makes the environment harder to navigate, because it's a little harder to recognize in alien vision mode).

-3- All the game logic/code is available. ALL OF IT! Okay, not the barebones graphics and physics stuff, but everything on top of that is available when you buy the game, and can be modded. So you can make a completely unrelated single player game with it, or add a third race, or whatever. There are already tons of mods for the game, and hopefully more to come. Yes, there are many games that you can mod in some way or another, but it's very rare that the entire game logic is available with the game, and very rare that modding would have this much support in an indie title.

--- Biggest issue I've seen people have trouble with is framerate... the things is, you are likely to have trouble getting the game to work well until you play with the graphics settings in the game (and there are many). As you change the settings, you can see your FPS change in real time, so at least it's easy to do once you know. Also, based on prior experience (and so far, true since launch), Unknown Worlds will continue to fix and improve the game, add more maps, optimize performance, etc, so this game has a long lifetime ahead and will only get better with time.

--- Do yourself a favor and give it a shot. At $25 (that's less than $0.10 an hour for me at this point), it's a bargain. Just expect to die a lot at first. :) Stick to your teammates and listen to your commander, and prepare to enjoy the best team game on the market!

PS: It's a shame that GameSpot tarnished the game with its review, but at least the review has been pulled since then: http://www.gamespot.com/news/natural-selection-2-review-pulled-6399748
    Hopefully MetaCritic will remove that 6/10 critic review and add the new review by GS.
  63. Nov 9, 2012
    I used to be a big fan of NS1, so of course I got exited for the sequel. The beta wasnt that much fun mainly because of the poor performance, but UWE has done great job optimizing the game just before the release and now it runs very well. And it is as much fun as NS1 used to be.
  64. Nov 9, 2012
    This game is absolutely amazing. Community is great. Game is asymmetrical but still balanced. Kill are difficult but rewarding. Initial loading times are long but worth it. Commanding is hard but rewarding. Love playing every time. Really the best part of this game is the people. when you get a good talkative group together its less about winning and more about having fun. That'sThis game is absolutely amazing. Community is great. Game is asymmetrical but still balanced. Kill are difficult but rewarding. Initial loading times are long but worth it. Commanding is hard but rewarding. Love playing every time. Really the best part of this game is the people. when you get a good talkative group together its less about winning and more about having fun. That's why i love this game. I recommend it for anyone who wants a real and challenging FPS or a interesting new type of team work based RTS. Mod support is really good too. Expand
  65. Nov 9, 2012
    This game was/is created by the community. It is a complex, but rewarding game. The learning curve is steep, but worth it. The game is open source as well, meaning you can do whatever you want (modding wise). There are consistency checks when you log into a server, so there are not hackers all over the place. 95% of the people I have talked, and played with are very helpful, and wouldThis game was/is created by the community. It is a complex, but rewarding game. The learning curve is steep, but worth it. The game is open source as well, meaning you can do whatever you want (modding wise). There are consistency checks when you log into a server, so there are not hackers all over the place. 95% of the people I have talked, and played with are very helpful, and would take the time to explain any questions to a new player. I can't write enough about how the game plays, feels, looks, because it has to be seen/experienced for yourself.

I gave this a perfect score because even now, post-release the developers are improving the game play, the maps, the art, the load times, and putting new things into the game (more buildings, more abilities)
  66. Nov 10, 2012
    Bad design choices, bad performance, bad movement mechanics. A downgrade from Natural Selection 1 for sure. A disappointement after preordering back in May 2009.
    Nov 12, 2012
    Awesome sequel to NS 1- team gaming at its best with select changes from NS1 in my opinion all more or less positive with the gorge role (now a defender/healer/support rather than builder, on the other hand the bellysliding rocks!) being an exception and on edge whether i liked the old model better.

Big changes from 1 is heavy armor becoming Exoskeleton (with manliness points off the scale with power fist & minigun), siege turrets now siege tanks, marine base requirements and alien commander and infestation/power grids.

Only required add to serverside would be a autodump after 2 mins from round start so no queues to winning team. Note also that the GameSpot review (which is the only negative one by critics so far) was PULLED BY GAMESPOT because of blatant inaccuracies and slack job, so the actual critic score is at least 10 points higher as soon as metacritic corrects the issue.

strongly recommend this as a early christmas gift to everyone out there.
  68. Nov 13, 2012
    Funniest and most original game of the year. ****************************************************
    ********************** 10/10***********************
  69. Nov 13, 2012
    I didn't like NS1, I found it too difficult. But when I randomly decided to buy NS2 I was pleasantly surprised. The game is absolutely amazing, and I have been hooked on it since I bought it. It's like a combination of Left 4 Dead 2, StarCraft, Aliens and Counter Strike which just works perfectly. Pros:

+ 2 completely different teams that are both fun to play as + Helpful and friendly

+ 2 completely different teams that are both fun to play as
    + Helpful and friendly community
    + Game that encourages teamwork and it actually works
    + It's challenging to learn to play every class (and especially commander), but very rewarding once you do
    + Every game plays out differently
    + Some really badass moments (running into alien hive and killing spawn eggs with flamer-thrower anyone?)

Cons:
    - Some players might be put off the fact that you have to learn to play this game (you will constantly get killed at start)
    - Dependance on teamwork (but 90% of games have it)
    - Dependance on a good commander (you can learn to play commander offline and do it yourself)
  70. Nov 14, 2012
    I'm not going to talk about what this game it, that has been covered enough. How this game makes me feel?

This game evokes such extreme emotions while you play. Not many games are able to illicit this kind of response these days and for a multi player game to do it? Simply amazing. Fear, Hope, Exhilaration. As a marine while heading to an important location that your commander has asked you to capture. You cross over into alien territory, its already dim but then you hear the aliens take one last bite on the power node and the lights go out. You gulp as you flick on your flashlight, look at your team mate to make sure he has not run away in fear. You hear the pitter patter of skulk feet some where above you, looking around frantically you finally see it as it drops down onto you. You manage to blast it clean in the face with your shotgun. Pure Exhilaration! You hear chomping and you realize that your team mate is under attack and the first skulk was a distraction. Its too late, you are both dead.

The feeling of power as you hop into a dual minigun exo suit! Amazing! Time to go get revenge and push back the alien scum.

Evolve as an ono's and charge into a Marine base. Amazing. Teamwork, Emotion, Unlimited replay-ability, Community mods, New Engine (Spark), Updates for the foreseeable future? All for $25(NZD)

BUY THIS DAMN GAME!
  71. Nov 15, 2012
    I created an account just for reviewing this game. The one ' yellow ' review was a mistake and cannot be corrected due to metacritic policy. I hope people see this and will not let them stop from buying the game.
  72. Nov 15, 2012
    450hrs in beta and continuing to add now its released, this game is addictive. My only problem is the high system requirements. This has a tough learning curve, I would strongly suggest going into "explore mode" and learning the alien classes. Buy a microphone, this game actually requires team work. The blend of RTS and FPS means commanding troops is often stressful but also rewarding.450hrs in beta and continuing to add now its released, this game is addictive. My only problem is the high system requirements. This has a tough learning curve, I would strongly suggest going into "explore mode" and learning the alien classes. Buy a microphone, this game actually requires team work. The blend of RTS and FPS means commanding troops is often stressful but also rewarding.

If your bored of the CoD and Battlefield rehashes every year, give this a try. Its unique.
  73. Nov 15, 2012
    One of the Innovates games Out there!

Wall-running as a Skulk like an Alien in AvP, deep Strategic elements like in Starcraft, true Requirement of Team-play and a Fascinating Replay Value.

As a Pure Multiplayergame, this Indie Title from Unknown Worlds Entertainmant is a Masterpiece of its own Genre/s!
  74. Nov 16, 2012
    The best word to describe this game is simply "Amazing." Natural Selection 2 has great graphics, awesome game play mechanics , and a good RTS/FPS mix. On top of that there are many mods you can download for it which really helps with re playability. Natural Selection 2 is also only 25$. There is no reason to not get this game!
  75. Nov 17, 2012
    This is that classic alien vs humans game you've been waiting for with an element for ever type of player with great graphics it can over power computers that are not up to date but its actually built to run on a lower range graphics card a gtx450 so anything high should. fly i know mine does. I love the true team base play of this game as it brings players together to play as a teamThis is that classic alien vs humans game you've been waiting for with an element for ever type of player with great graphics it can over power computers that are not up to date but its actually built to run on a lower range graphics card a gtx450 so anything high should. fly i know mine does. I love the true team base play of this game as it brings players together to play as a team quite quickly and if your new just try asking a couple of questions in game and follow the others around the commander will help you out if there a good one. over all this game is a must play for team based shooters. Expand
  76. Nov 19, 2012
    Great game. I play the NS1 and it was a great game and the squeal is better. It's very balance game. The developers team said that more maps are comming. I would like my friends play too.
  77. Nov 20, 2012
    I am a dedicated player, with an overall "experience" of nearly 20 years of gaming, not concentrated on one single genre. I had a lot of favorite games during this time and natural selection 2 is the best online team based and action oriented gaming experience seen so far in my opinon.
    The start itself could be a bit hard for beginners, if you are new to this concept of first person shooter combined with real time strategy. so there are some learnings in the beginning: you shouldnt finally judge the game during the first played games. but if you invest some time to understand the differences of the alien creatures, the techtrees, general gameplay mechanics and maps, you will be rewarded with one of the best long-term motivating, innovative games ever created!

a well designed atmosphere, superb gameplay, exciting matches, good balancing, an active community and a developer with real passion for his title. nothing missing for me...
  78. Nov 20, 2012
    This is what all gaming should be like. You feel like you're in a science fiction action movie--crawling through vents and leaping onto soldiers as an alien in a hunting pack, mowing down invaders in a marine in an armored suit, or making your last stand as the enemy closes in. The game runs at 60fps on even my MacBook Pro laptop (under Windows) and is gorgeous. The air is filled withThis is what all gaming should be like. You feel like you're in a science fiction action movie--crawling through vents and leaping onto soldiers as an alien in a hunting pack, mowing down invaders in a marine in an armored suit, or making your last stand as the enemy closes in. The game runs at 60fps on even my MacBook Pro laptop (under Windows) and is gorgeous. The air is filled with smoke, metal objects realistically reflect the environment, and you become splatted with gore during melee attacks. Teamwork is tight and essential. Because it is all-multiplayer on sprawling maps, every game is unique and I can't wait to jump back in at the end. This is the strongest game of the year, even though it is an indie title. Expand
  79. Nov 20, 2012
    amazing upgrade from the first! still thrilling and fun, wish gamespot weren't screw ups and messed the score up because it definitely is not 7.9 being the fact that the users score it 9.3 out of 10 shows the fan based. The one thing I love about the game is the community, the fact that there not just immature teenagers playing a cod or halo is a blessing to this game... Fun RTS playingamazing upgrade from the first! still thrilling and fun, wish gamespot weren't screw ups and messed the score up because it definitely is not 7.9 being the fact that the users score it 9.3 out of 10 shows the fan based. The one thing I love about the game is the community, the fact that there not just immature teenagers playing a cod or halo is a blessing to this game... Fun RTS playing as commander but also allows individuals the ability to choose what weapons they want as oppose to NS1 where the commander would have to drop weapons .... bottom line is great game! Expand
  80. Nov 21, 2012
    Anyone looking for some more strategy and sophistication in their online game should look no further than NS2. It's a refreshing change of pace from Call of Duty. Sure, there are problems and balance issues to work out, but the game is addictive, polished, and just a ton of fun. This is a team game through and through, so hot head rambo need not apply.
  81. Nov 25, 2012
    This is a must have for players who are looking for a challenge in First Person Shooters. After all this years there is a game which fits in what I was searching for. A game with brain and fast reaction which brings you to your limit. Only the huge hardware hungry engine is what feels unplaced in this genre but the netcode feels so right. I guess they will fix the performance in the future.
  82. Nov 30, 2012
    This game has the same vibe and feel of the first one, a game which I spent days of my life playing years ago. There is some room for optimization in the engine (it is brand new). I feel like the engine just needs a bit of work to make everything appear smoother, but the game-play is there, and I'm just as excited as I used to be to launch Natural-Selection 2.
  83. Nov 30, 2012
    Great game but gamespot ruined metacritic score :(. Not as good as NS1 but still great enough. This isn't helpful review but neither isn't first from gamespot. The real score is like 89/90 but I will still give 10 ;) In my opinion this game needs constant tweaking like NS1.. Game isn't fully ready and it does miss some features, game engine need some optimizing and balance tweaks in many years..
  84. Dec 5, 2012
    Never heard of natural selection, until the day before it was released. I thought i looked pretty damn cool so I bought it, only like 200 swedish kr. And I played it, at first I didn't understand so much, and because of my **** pc it ran pretty bad. But after about 10 hours, i fell in love. This game is one of my favorites, it's addictive as hell and I can't stop playing it. And the lag isNever heard of natural selection, until the day before it was released. I thought i looked pretty damn cool so I bought it, only like 200 swedish kr. And I played it, at first I didn't understand so much, and because of my **** pc it ran pretty bad. But after about 10 hours, i fell in love. This game is one of my favorites, it's addictive as hell and I can't stop playing it. And the lag is not as bad as it used to, i have a stable 50-40 fps now all the time, except i massive battles ofc. But otherwise it runs pretty smooth. It's only 22 euro on steam so you should go out and buy it! Even if your pc is **** you can play as a commander! Expand
  85. Dec 5, 2012
    The concept for this game is fantastic! I have always been a big fan of the RTS and FPS, and having that freedom to switch between what is essentially two different games as commander or grunt is incredible. Have it be known that this game is by no means easy. A sense of team-building being absolutely necessary really starts to dawn on you as you begin to figure out the game. The only wayThe concept for this game is fantastic! I have always been a big fan of the RTS and FPS, and having that freedom to switch between what is essentially two different games as commander or grunt is incredible. Have it be known that this game is by no means easy. A sense of team-building being absolutely necessary really starts to dawn on you as you begin to figure out the game. The only way a team succeeds is communication. The commander must direct his or her grunts, whilst the grunts must equally provide crucial information to the commander. I highly recommend this game! Expand
  86. Dec 6, 2012
    My favorite game right now. If you do go out and buy it the game is pretty balanced, but aliens are not like most FPS so it may feel like they are horribly unbalanced. Marines play pretty straightforward FPS style. While aliens starting form is very squishy melee attacker. This means in a shootout you will always lose. But if you learn to jump around when fighting, and hide in goodMy favorite game right now. If you do go out and buy it the game is pretty balanced, but aliens are not like most FPS so it may feel like they are horribly unbalanced. Marines play pretty straightforward FPS style. While aliens starting form is very squishy melee attacker. This means in a shootout you will always lose. But if you learn to jump around when fighting, and hide in good locations (since you can cling to walls/ceilings) you can usually start the fight up close, which is where the aliens do well. The game is basically a tug of war / map control game where you try to take control of resources on the map and hold them while taking/disrupting the enemy. Resources allow your team to generate more powerful weapons and equipment for marines, or more advanced lifeforms and upgrades for aliens. The ultimate goal is to push the other team off of the map. Expand
  87. Dec 17, 2012
    This game is awesome. It just goes to show what can happen when a small developer can rally a loyal fanbase. The Good - Graphics: Just awesome. I can't believe a small developer pulled this off, with their own house-made engine to boot.
    Gameplay: Two great asymmetrical factions with dynamic upgrades and counters.
    Sound: Best sound design I've hear in a while. From the music to
    Gameplay: Two great asymmetrical factions with dynamic upgrades and counters.
    Sound: Best sound design I've hear in a while. From the music to growling aliens to the yelps of dying marines, this game has the best atmospheric sound compared to any other new release.
    Community: I feel like a lot of newer multiplayer games have a toxic community right from the start. Not so in NS. Yeah, you have some tryhards, but I have yet to have obscenities thrown my way or screamed at. Also, this game is extremely open to mods. There's already quite a few good ones made by some very talented community members.

The Bad:
    Gameplay: This game has a fairly high learning curve, and I see a lot players who are not familiar with the first game struggling. You are also punished very hard for having a bad commander, but I'm not sure what could be down about that.
    Stability: I've had this game crash and freeze on me quite a few times, but it seems to be getting better with each patch.
  88. Dec 22, 2012
    The game itself is very cool: good mechanics and playability. The problem are the bugs: I can't play an evening without having 10 to 15 crashes. Every night! Fells like more of a beta game than a real release.

We have the "pure virtual function call" error, the rendering error where blue squares appear instead of itens, and others. All that in windows 7 32 bits, which by the way did not even work on the first days after the release, for the frustration of those who bought it on pre-order. Even the error handler fails to send the devs the message containing the crash data in some bugs, so most likely they won't be fixed soon.

My piece of advice: wait 1 or 2 years before buying this game. Perhaps it will be less unstable by then. Or be very very patient with the crashes when playing.
  89. Jan 6, 2013
    I loved the original and I love this even more. Standard NS mode is great for RTS/Strategy lovers and FPS fans alike. CO mode provides casual gamers with some simple, standard play with quicker rounds and have an experience based more on individual performance.
  90. Dec 29, 2012
    Natural Selection 2's game design is amazing. a seamless blend of RTS and FPS pits marines versus aliens in a fight to destroy the opposite teams command center/hive. While the game does suffer from the occasional crash or lag spike, it isn't very often and you'll hardly care because you will be having so much fun. One thing to note is that the Alien team does generally require a bit moreNatural Selection 2's game design is amazing. a seamless blend of RTS and FPS pits marines versus aliens in a fight to destroy the opposite teams command center/hive. While the game does suffer from the occasional crash or lag spike, it isn't very often and you'll hardly care because you will be having so much fun. One thing to note is that the Alien team does generally require a bit more skill to play effectively then the marines but after playing the Aliens for a day or two you will have mastered the tools you need to be an effective killing machine. Expand
  91. Dec 30, 2012
    I created an Metacritic account for this game alone, for such careless Reviewers causing the game to orginally get a score of under 80%, which inturn put off at least 6 people i know not to buy the game despite my temptations. Savege 1 and 2 were both great games ahead for its time and exactly the same formular RTS/FPS
    Now that Natural Selection 2 has been released the Type of game
    Now that Natural Selection 2 has been released the Type of game hopfully will mature to all walks of life.

Quickly sum it up:- Star Craft like RTS + Counter Strike/Team Fortress 2 Class FPS system + Quirky Combat from Alien Vs Pred that synagies really well is a game that will mature and survive, not to mention fully open source modding, to allow endless creations and fully Game Conversion Servers for Years to come!

A True Game, Made by Gamers, for Gamers!
  92. Jan 2, 2013
    Natural Selection 2 is one of the best online multiplayer on PC but it still has some minor problems PRO
    Awesome Combat good game for teamwork
    Big maps Large difference between Alien combat and Frontiersman combat.
    CON only 4 maps bad FPS (the most i got was 25FPS )
  93. Jan 7, 2013
    I could have never imagine that the predecessor of the Natural Selection 1 Halflife-Mod, which i played many many hours, could be even more competitive! But it's true. The new elements especially the Expansion of your base is very well improved and well thought through. I love this game.
    For new players the game will be disconcerting and complicated at first. But the learning curve is rising fast.
    Don't forget to use a microphone. To get the full fighting and competitive experience it is absolutely necessary to communicate with your team!
  94. Jan 10, 2013
    Absolutely fantastic game,I purchased it the day ti came out and have put in at least a couple hours everyday. I cannot get enough,the game speaks for itself, buy it... you will not regret it
  95. Jan 29, 2013
    a small development team and years of hard work producing THE greatest competitive fps game I have ever played. Battles are legendary, every round is unique, strategy and skill twine together to form a brilliant climax of a gaming experience. Slightly hard for new-comers, but impossible to stop playing once attuned to the game-play. the only game that has ever made my heart race froma small development team and years of hard work producing THE greatest competitive fps game I have ever played. Battles are legendary, every round is unique, strategy and skill twine together to form a brilliant climax of a gaming experience. Slightly hard for new-comers, but impossible to stop playing once attuned to the game-play. the only game that has ever made my heart race from action. note: reaction times mean life or death and you need to think outside the box. Expand
  96. Feb 16, 2013
    I have been an NS fan for 10 years now and NS2 which has been built on their own engine is beyond all expectations. Updates are weekly and the game play is unrivaled, with just over 100 hours in game, I would have given it 10 if my progress was stored and accessible somewhere. Fun, exciting, scary and so addictive.
  97. Feb 28, 2013
    Never played NS1 but NS2 is really a great game. It's great fun to play with your team and the in-game voice-chat makes it perfectly doable to actually work as a team and to coordinate towards victory. Its totally worth to buy it! Enjoy!
  98. Feb 28, 2013
    I was apprehensive about buying this initially when my friend described it to me. However, his power of persuasion was good and he talked me round. I must say I was very pleasantly surprised and the game offers something for both RTS and FPS fans, personally I like munching on fresh marine flesh as a skulk! It really is a fantastic game and well worth the money. It continues to beI was apprehensive about buying this initially when my friend described it to me. However, his power of persuasion was good and he talked me round. I must say I was very pleasantly surprised and the game offers something for both RTS and FPS fans, personally I like munching on fresh marine flesh as a skulk! It really is a fantastic game and well worth the money. It continues to be supported by the developers with new features and items constantly being updated or added. Expand
  99. Mar 3, 2013
    I don't like giving this game a low score because the structure of the gameplay and the structure is very fun. I played the first NS and enjoyed it. This new installment has much the old feel. There are issues with weapon damage calculations instantly killing aliens in one hit or doing practically no damage. I can not say for sure that these two issues are one in the same however the alienI don't like giving this game a low score because the structure of the gameplay and the structure is very fun. I played the first NS and enjoyed it. This new installment has much the old feel. There are issues with weapon damage calculations instantly killing aliens in one hit or doing practically no damage. I can not say for sure that these two issues are one in the same however the alien side will typically feel underpowered and you are guaranteed to see players aimbotting on marine side. Fortunately, like LFD2, the special race abilities make it easier to recognize and combat cheating players. I would still recommend the game because it is similar to Left For Dead 2, where once you get a server locked with legit and honest players it can be really fun and competitive. I am surprised the game is available for only twelve dollars that's really cheap for a game like this. Expand
  100. Mar 10, 2013
    NS2 is one of the most fun FPS/Strategy games out there. This is a game that will keep you going for hours, and something to fall back on when new games suck. Great game play and back story its worth more then the $25 asking price on steam.

1. Jun 10, 2013
    Certainly not for newcomers in the genre; but it’s a blast for hardcore gamers that crave for action instead of the classic FPS mechanics and want matches that last something between a Counter-Strike and Battlefield 3 battle. [March 2013]
  2. Feb 15, 2013
    Natural Selection 2 is unquestionably a unique title, but its bar to entry is incredibly high for the average FPS player. For the hardcore strategist, it has its appeal, but its complexity severely limits the enjoyment in matches that aren’t significantly populated by experts at the game.
  3. Feb 6, 2013
    I am sure Natural Selection 2 will gather a group of devoted fans. After all it’s a good, surprisingly original game. [CD-Action 02/2013, p.50]