8.4

1. Oct 31, 2012
    Based on a 10 year old Half-Life 1 mod, the developers set out to create a standalone sequel, company, and their own engine (The Spark Engine) to one of the most popular Mods ever created. No small feat. What they have accomplished has been nothing short of incredible. Not only is the game more fun and more accessible to new players than the first game was, but their source code & tools come with the game, so ANYONE can make their own mods in a simple scripting language called Lua. Teamplay is encouraged by the game mechanics themselves, which forces players to play together, encouraging a friendly vibrant community. With the community's backing, the amazing game and technology you get for such a low price, this might just make NS2 one of the most important games of recent times. Not just for how amazingly fun the actual gameplay is, but for what it could mean for Modders and total conversions in the future. This game might just spawn the next Dota. A truly spectacular achievement for such a small company. Expand
  2. Nov 5, 2012
    I used to be a fanatic old school gamer, with games like TFC and NS1 being played daily. But ever since i got addicted to WoW for 5 years and lost my interest in every game that got released within 5 minutes.. until NS2! What a great game, fresh gameplay, actual teamplay, and moddable, can't wait for total conversion mods to pop up ( Warcraft fps/rts mod anyone ? ). Great bunch of developers, dedicated to update the game for years to come! Expand
  3. Oct 31, 2012
    Great game, but for some reason crashes my computer quite frequently (twice in an hour) when BF3 on ultra doesn't. Very fun, very innovative, tons of replay value.
  4. Oct 31, 2012
    Amazing game where teamwork is not an option. FPS/RTS design forces cooperation in order to improve your own loadout as well as others. Your play is not completely dictated by the Commander as each person has personal resources to buy weapons with once they have been. Excellent gaming community which discourages trolls. Graphics are good and fast spawns, high movement speed and teleportation buildings make for low downtime. That said there is a high learning curve and the maps are complex especially the ventilation system used by the alien side. Can be unforgiving and cause you to lose your heavy weapons quickly. If you play games to become GOOD, don't mind working with a team towards team based goals and not just to get high K/D and unlock awards then this game is a must. Expand
  5. Oct 31, 2012
    I played the original Natural Selection back in the days of CAL and I'm glad to see the developers succeed with NS2. Unlike remake failures like CS:Source and CSGO, this game was actually developed by people with passion - and it shows. The controls are intuitive and the engine is gorgeous (*bad dum ching*). It may take a bit of time to learn how to play and com but you won't regret it.

9/10 - only reason is that there needs to be improvement in what was called 'interp' in NS1 but could also be called netcode.. Being killed when your character is 5 meters around a corner is an irritating and unnecessary part of the gameplay.
  6. Oct 31, 2012
    Amazing game, sticking to it's roots as a PC mod and asymmetrical shooter. Refusing to dumb down their game and create a work of art independently this company developed it's own engine with a group of 5 or so people and the work they've done is ASTOUNDING, better then some supposed triple A titles with a huge budget and staff. This is one of the defining reasons why PC gaming is not dead and why it remains the best for real, raw and intense gameplay that is unique and not a retextured mess of everything sold to the kiddies on Xbox already. I tip my hat to Unknown Worlds and what they've been able to do. Expand
  7. Oct 31, 2012
    This game is stupendous. It manages to mix RTS and FPS, which alone is ridiculous, but it also has two completely different sides that are both a ton of fun to play... and it's balanced! Holy cow. The graphics are amazing and climbing on walls as aliens or flying around or teleporting is tons of fun. Easily one of the greatest multiplayer games since the original Natural Selection.
  8. Oct 31, 2012
    This is a REAL PC game created by an indipendent studio consisting of around 10 members of staff.
    It is an online, team based FPS/RTS which blends the two styles of game play flawlessly! The game is fully moddable and comes with all the tools you could ever want to make mods, maps, cinematics or even your own completely new game.
    What I like best about the title though, is the
    aforementioned development team. They gave out 45,000 free copies for goodness sake. I think major games development companies should step up, take note and learn! Expand
  9. Oct 31, 2012
    An awesome mash-up of RTS and FPS. For an independently developed game it easily puts many of the big AAA titles to shame. With constant updates through-out BETA and with continued support promised for a long time to come, NS2 is not only a great game getting better, it's got a great community behind it, pushing it further with mods and tons of support.
  10. Oct 31, 2012
    Great game, it retains many features of the mod and adds a few more which I think make it better, the addition of an alien commander is nice and the fact that marines can now buy their own weapons from their personal resources instead of begging the commander every time they respawn which gets annoying, the map design and graphics are great though as well as the sound, despite the fact I'm loving this game there are still issues to be aware of, the pre-cache one Is being fixed at the moment I'm sure and I wouldn't worry about that, the main one bothering me is the stuttering and teleporting that seems to appear at the most inappropriate times but the engine is actually great despite those facts and I'm sure they are working on those bugs. bunnyhopping is absent though but I gotta say I prefer the skulks movement in this than in HL Mod, you stick to walls much better and transitioning from wall to floor/ceiling is easier and more fluid, get this game you won't regret it. Expand
  11. Oct 31, 2012
    It was a long way of evolution..** First of all, sorry for my bad English. I played the game since the early alphas and i played part 1 as well. The positive aspects of the game are the big difference between the classes, (teams, weapons, attacks, tactics,..), the fine graphics, the complex maps and, of course, the combination of RTS and FPS. I don't know how long it takes new players to get used to all the game mechanics. It took me very long when I started playing beta after a long pause but its it's was easier now with all the help that found into the game in the last months.

**..and finally they released a great sequel of a great half life 1 mod.
  12. Oct 31, 2012
    This game isn't easy, it has a high learning curve, getting used to the differences between marines vs aliens can be tough for new players, I stuck with it and got the hang of it after a few hours(I was still no ace) each side has a much different approach to win the game, and it doesn't have to be the same approach each time! with the Multiple upgrades. The Unknown Worlds Entertainment is so good to their community, the community is so good to them and new players, the steps they made to make this game is incredible it feels like a multimillion dollar game title but it was only made by a group of 7 and help from the community. If you're tired of the same old Call of Duty copy and paste from year to year, you can buy two copies of NS2 for you and a friend for less than 1 copy of Call of Duty Black Ops 2, and I guarantee you're going to have way more fun, especially if you enjoyed AVP, NS2 blows both out of the water. Expand
  13. Nov 4, 2012
    I have played this game for about 3 hours so far, and I've been having a blast with it! I think I prefer the marines over the aliens though, which does sometimes present a problem when joining a server that is full on marines. The graphics are good, it is on a fresh engine, NOT a recycled IW engine, Quake engine, UT engine, etc... what a refreshing experience. The combination of strategy and FPS is a great combination. As a long time CoD and Starcraft player, I think I will love this game. Expand
  14. Oct 31, 2012
    Amazing game, I've been looking for a game that I won't get BORED of (pretty much most games out there right now), and NS2 is it. The shooting mechanics are more fun than any modern military shooter out there, and playing as an alien is a refreshing ton of fun. The strategy element is amazing if you are into RTS, because you have to use voice communication to be an effective commander.
  15. Oct 31, 2012
    Simply put, I have never had more fun online than I've had with this game and it's predecessor. Unless you play games competitively, you've probably never experienced what it's like to play with a coordinated team, and NS2 through the subtleties of it's design accomplishes that with every pub game.
  16. Nov 2, 2012
    Buy this game. Not just because it's a cheap, beautiful, independently developed game, but it because it it so much damn fun. I go into fits of laughter quite often. It's a ****ing hoot.
  17. Oct 31, 2012
    Surpasses the first game in most ways, beautiful visuals and fantastic modding abilities / community. For one of the best Multiplayer games around, its well worth it!
  18. Oct 31, 2012
    This is a fun multiplayer game that has a lot of potential, it contains a team element not often seen in games of this generation. You feel a connection to your team and when your team and your commander are working together there is nothing more satisfying. I would say that you should get this game if you plan to play it while working with people. no lone wolf crap. my only complaint is the lack of tutorial for the commander mode, and i always felt intimidated to get in it since it could ruin the game for my team. Expand
  19. Oct 31, 2012
    An amazing sequel of the Half-Life mod Natural Selection. The developers have done an outstanding job and really pushed the limits of indie game design. This game deserves a 10 for many reasons, but the biggest has to be the perseverance and skill shown by the developers.
  20. Oct 31, 2012
    Apologies in advance for the horrible writing.

For me, this game is an extremely impressive feat, and a game I will be playing for a very long time. It's a fun team-based shooter that seems like a horrible gimic at first, but reveals itself to be an incredibly deep strategic game. The gameplay is wonderful and fresh. The aliens are fast and fun to play and have a variety of unique
    abilities, especially the fade with its ability to blink across the map at incredible speeds and slash down marines with its scythe-like arms. The marines are quite enjoyable as well, with their well designed weapons and tools. Mixing an RTS and a shooter doesn't sound like it would work at first, but is incredibly well implemented, with obvious care from the developers that really took care to make into solid game mechanic, rather than a horribly implemented gimic tacked on to a generic shooter.

The graphics are very impressive for an indie game, holding up quite well compared to even AAA titles, and are a surprisingly colorful getaway from the mottled grey-brown of modern military shooters. For the most part, the animations are very fluid and nice to look at, and the game feels very smooth in general. The game has an immense replayability as well, not only for its incredible mod support. Though there are only five, the maps are very large and conducive to a large number of strategies, and the random spawn points for each team add a great variety. What really impresses me is the game's ability to constantly surpise you with new things, even after playing for a while. The game naturally opens up to you piece by piece as you play, far more preferable to me than the standard "level-up" progression system. You start as a simple unit following the commanders orders, and eventually become experienced enough to dominate the field with a jetpack and shotgun as a marine or a fade as an alien. Once you realize the nuances of the strategy, you can assume the position of the commander and lead your entire team.

Above all, what I really respect about this game is the fact that it dared to deviate from the endless stream of modern shooters. The developers made it as a multiplayer game, and didn't waste resources tacking on an unnecessary campaign just to raise the price. They refused to add ironsights so the gameplay would be better, and didn't try to become a "me too" shooter. Unknown Worlds made an ambitious game with a clear identity and a clear purpose, and after almost six years of beta development they clearly care about their game. This game is a perfect example of quality over quantity. Hopefully Natural Selection 2 will set an example for shooter developers in the future. All in all, a highly recommended game that you can enjoy for a long time.
  21. Nov 2, 2012
    Awesome game, the original was fun and this is even better. They are allowing mods for the game, which I can only imagine that will take this game far.
  22. Oct 31, 2012
    Can be fun but seems horridly unbalanced. For being a game that doesn't have the epic action, expanse and visuals of Battlefield 3 and other games like it, it sure requires a lot more power to run. The game seems to have the optimization of an alpha build and runs like complete garbage. Constant crashes and frame lag destroys what could be a pretty fun experience.
  23. Nov 1, 2012
    This is an excellent example of an FPS that doesn't compromise to "compete" with games like COD or BF3. It sticks to its rots and remains largely the same game it was 10 years ago, only this time with actual production value. The shooting is solid, the teamplay is tight, and brings all of the asymmetrical gameplay [that made the original mod stand out] back to the table, with all the balance of the original. I'm not sure this is a game that will appeal to the "War Shooter" fan, but should stick out to anyone that's looking for a change of pace from the same old yearly releases we've been seeing over the last 5 or so years. There's a reason that we're all gushing praise for this game, because it's one that deserves it. Expand
  24. Nov 1, 2012
    Game is fantastic. Requires a lot of teamwork, has a decent learning curve especially for commanders, graphics are great and I have not had any of the issues with crashing on highest performance. buy this game if you enjoy FPS, strategy or RTS
  25. Oct 31, 2012
    Great game that is a team player base and requires some skill. Aliens are so fun I enjoy the Fade going to the speed of light is a great escape move when I found myself in trouble. Marines jet packs and Exos is also fun to play. Been playing for 8hrs straight and enjoy every minute. NS2 developers added a great feature too called Mods. Mods in a server can change the game play with endless possibilities, like for example, Marines vs Marines or Aliens vs Aliens and so on. The game has great replay and with new MODS ideas making this game have so many possibilities of game play. I am tired of these AAA game developing companies that bring poor content with a huge price behind it, unknownworlds is indie company not even close to AAA level, but they made a great game with half the cost. highly recommended. Expand
  26. Nov 2, 2012
    Natural Selection 2 game play has a unique personality, which is rare in titles today. Sure there are other games that are Hybrid RTS/FPS, but they don't offer the same level of quality and depth. The game is simple, but offers a lot of strategy and each game feels different. Playing as a gorge (combat engineer), skulk (sneaky fighter), fade (quick medium assault fighter), lerk (combat support), or onos (siege and heavy combat) on the alien side all feel different. Playing as a marine or exo-suit (GOLIATH ONLINE) are fun experiences. If you enjoy team game play, you'll love Natural Selection 2 since each role benefits the team in a unique way.

Natural Selection 2 is basically a delicious cheap wine that will only taste better as it ages. For $25, this game is already a bargain and the developers have committed themselves to improving it post-release. Additionally, mods can provide additional content for no cost to the purchaser.

There are a few issues that need work including networking and performance. If it were a $40 or $60 game I might be a bit more strict on the performance of the engine. The developers have committed themselves to improving performance after release.
  27. Nov 2, 2012
    Absolutely fantastic. I have had a lot of fun with it so far, and I highly recommend. My only issue is the game's crosshairs, but I tend to dislike most game's crosshairs, and this game is moddable enough to allow for custom crosshairs to be out.

Also, if you're a fan of the classic NS, people have already begun releasing more classic NS Maps, as well as a Combat Mode mod.
  28. Oct 31, 2012
    The game is really great! The graphics are awesome with plenty of colors (compared to today
  29. Oct 31, 2012
    Definately one of the most exciting multiplayer game of period. At gameplays' wise, designs' wise, the game is almost flawless. I remember me complaining about making so stupidly bad game at the early stage of Natural Selection 2, when the game had nothing but just lag without reason. Now it has become to a game, which has great potential being so popular and famous, and be one of the best title of the game history(already as a user count it's hugh). But still the problem is optimization and animation. As the dev team seem to have great success now(6k players), i'd like to see much more improved animations and flawless optimization. Then they will surely keep maintaining those 6k online players, and even grow.. Ah and again, the color of the game is just so aesthetic. Regardless of some animation issues, this game must have also one of the greatest eye candy. Definately one of the best looking game without being so realistic as a reality like Crysis or Battlefield 3. Anyway congratulations Unknownworlds and Charlie and others. You are genius. Expand
  30. Nov 1, 2012
    At last a PC multiplayer game that isn't a load of consolised trash, have a stupid unlock tree and xp system, and isn't a bunch of free to play ****

The game combines FPS and RTS seamlessly and there are fewer more satisfying victories in gaming than succeeding as a commander.

1. Jun 10, 2013
    Certainly not for newcomers in the genre; but it’s a blast for hardcore gamers that crave for action instead of the classic FPS mechanics and want matches that last something between a Counter-Strike and Battlefield 3 battle. [March 2013]
  2. Feb 15, 2013
    Natural Selection 2 is unquestionably a unique title, but its bar to entry is incredibly high for the average FPS player. For the hardcore strategist, it has its appeal, but its complexity severely limits the enjoyment in matches that aren’t significantly populated by experts at the game.
  3. Feb 6, 2013
    I am sure Natural Selection 2 will gather a group of devoted fans. After all it’s a good, surprisingly original game. [CD-Action 02/2013, p.50]