6.5

1. Feb 25, 2013
    Very disappointing that the PC version isn't supported by 2k and is missing a lot of things that come in the console versions.

2. Mar 23, 2013
    Ugh. This game is love/hate for me. I love the MyPlayer mode, and it's super addicting building up your player into a beast, but for all the awesome 20 pt/25 board games I get there's those games where 2k13 reveals it's flaws, such as non-sensical animations ruining a good play, or the fact that boxing out is at times hit and miss, it shouldn't be THAT hard to get your guy to stick to his man and BOX OUT, but too often he ends up nowhere near where you would want him to be (such as boxing out the air under the basket) the controls in this game are awful. Just awful. If you're not fancy dribbling/dunking, then it all just falls apart. But I guess that's fine for most people who don't care about anything else when it comes to basketball. They need to quit it with the 3 second long pre-canned animations that completely screw you over multiple times a game. I shouldn't jump to block a shot and get locked into a performing some long drawn out performance piece for my entrance to Julliard. It's nonsense. I sometimes wonder if these guys have ever SEEN a basketball game. Because I'm pretty sure Larry Sanders doesn't start flopping around after attempting a shot block.

Come on Live, the door is wide open here, just make a basketball game that actually plays half-way decent.

Also, Ronnie2k looks like a douche in his fake Twitter photo, so I subtracted 2 points off the score. LOL
  3. Jul 29, 2013
    The gameplay is great, the my player and career modes are addictive, the graphics are wonderful, but I have to rate the game a pretty low 5 for two reasons: One keyboard controls suck, but that's not surprising for a pc sports game. Get a control pad for pc and it's a non issue.

Two, there are crucial features missing from the pc version. There is no virtual currency system like in xbox
    version. This makes me so angry. On xbox version you can build up a bunch of currency playing games or 1on1 matches or doing shooting drills, then go start a career and instantly have an all-star level skilled player. Not so on pc. You can only get skill points by playing games in career mode. Makes everything a grind and tedious. Very disappointing that such a crucial feature was left out. Expand
  4. Oct 30, 2012
    This game is beautifull! 2k is doing a good job. On platform pc is better of xbox360. You can have a more power graphics! the joipad controll is very good and there are very command options while you played. well done 2K!
  5. Oct 31, 2012
    Wow, something told me not to buy this after last years fiasco. But I put some faith in 2k Games to not make the same mistakes they did last year........and they did. Bugs and crashes right off the bat, especially in My Player mode. Enjoy waiting like 6 months for a patch and very horrible customer support like this did MLB2k12 and NBA2k12. This year I was smart and bought a physical PC copy that I will be getting a refund for. Fool me once......well you know the rest. Expand
  6. Feb 6, 2013
    Best sports game on the PC to date. NBA 2k13 is better played online or vs a friend. AI can be a tad weird. However I don't think many people buy it intending to solely play the CPU. Otherwise this game is polished to the max in the other areas. Soundtrack is excellent and game play and momentum is very deep and rewarding. The game looks better on PC than consoles and plays better too, a lot more fluent and responsive. Nothing better than slamming the ring with that reverse dunk at home to light up the crowd! Expand
  7. Feb 12, 2013
    First off, yes, this game is missing things the console version has. Second, there ARE bugs (social media going away, de-leveling from starter to 6th man no matter how great you're doing, etc). However, I still feel this game is worth of an 8. I play with a 360 controller (don't even attempt with a kb/mouse). MyPlayer mode is fun and addicting. If you're a fan of the NBA, and can't get the console version, then this game should make you happy. Expand
  8. Oct 2, 2013
    game is a joke, pure arcade game no simulation what so ever. it is aimed for kids who like science fiction basketball not to basketball fans. very bad release. nba 2k12 was much better in terms of gameplay and the best player winning the game using basket ball strategies. i remember i had so much fun using the wizards to play against top ranked users online using miami and lakers. it was fun, with nba 2k13 and 14 there is no intelligence in the game and no tactics required. with the score reaching 100 and 130 points per game of 6 minutes a quarter that is crazy thats a joke not basketball Expand
  9. Jan 25, 2013
    Its excellent. Graphics top notch and the gameplay is fun. Reasons its not a 10 is that the PC version doesn't include the dunk contest and 3pt shootout (baffling, to be honest) and the AI sometimes does some pretty weird stuff. Long gone are the days that you can just throw up any pass and it goes to your intended target and long gone are the days where you can bulldoze your way to the basket...forcing you to think about what you are doing which is only a good thing. It's a fine balance between a sim and arcade. Well worth the price if you're a fan of Basketball. Expand
  10. Apr 3, 2013
    La vraie mise jour du 2K11 part des graphismes inférieurs).
    Toutefois, des mode de jeux ont disparus, une présentation made in jay-z horrible la hauteur de son talent) et l'IA moins réaliste font qu'il reste inférieur sa version 2011.
  11. Oct 6, 2012
    There was never so much cheese from CPU in any of the 2K games. It is impossible to enjoy while playing against CPU on superstar or hall of fame difficulty. And if you want to make it enjoyable, you will need to try many game sliders combinations which takes time or you will need to play with Heat, Thunder or Lakers (I am sure fans of other teams also play this game). Another issue is that the game has so many bugs. One of the examples is from MyCareer mode which is almost unplayable if you are not point guard because play vision doesn't work correctly or there is a bigger problem in scripting if CPU teammates do not run plays at all. The bug is well known by now and there is still no solution (not all of the users have this bug). Rebounding is atrocious as it was in previous games. Too much contact layups, speed problem is still present, magical moves (read: magically disappearing in defense, CPU goes straight through you) from CPU are still there, magical spawning and going in contact layups from CPU even if they are not close to you is still there. I played 2K11 and 2K12 and there were some bad first impressions, but not as bad as they are now. On the other hand, game has some positive sides. Overall presentation and bunch of new pre-game and in-game animations area big plus. Commentary is good and on time. Music is enjoyable, but there is too much Jay Z tracks. I am not sure what they meant to do with "executive produced by Jay Z". Who gives a damn about who "executive produced" soundtrack. Also, I need to mention online games - there is no lag, some online features from 2K11 are coming back and that's very good. Except for invisible scoreboard bug.
    I will give this game a solid 6, it deserves no more than that, at least not until the patch comes out which will, hopefully, fix some major bugs.
  12. Jul 3, 2013
    In a basketball game (or any sports game), the AI is extremely important. I can control 1 player out of 10 players on the court at any given time. 9 players are 100% controlled by 2K13. This is where the game begins to fail. Those 9 players are just stupid by default. If you're playing superstar mode and you can only control a single player, sometimes you just have to sit back and watch your teammates do some really dumb stuff. Then the next trip up the court, they try the same dumb things. Rinse and repeat. It just sucks the fun out of any single player experience you can have with this game. Its a shame because some of the career management and menu interfacing is nice. None of that matters when the gameplay is bad though.

Another issue with the game is the "momentum". There are times when you just cant make a shot. It is literally impossible to make a shot and you expect not to make a shot. This usually happens when the score gets too far apart. The winning team gets bad and the losing team gets better. It happens every game where there is large separation and it can be expected. The game is deeply scripted. Even online, the game makes sure the score stays close regardless of skill level.

This is the best NBA game you can get right now but that's more because it doesn't have any real competition. Its starting to sink into that Madden mindset where they dont feel the need to improve the actual core game. They just add a feature every year.

I hope i'm not the only person who doesn't care about 2K14's mouth animations. Show me some improved AI!
  13. Mar 26, 2013
    2K needs to stop treating the PC gamers like a red head step child. This game is just a bone thrown in for some extra income. This developer does not care, please stop paying for roster upgrades and fixes that never come or show up at the end of the season. Except for the new control, I think last years patched version is better.
  14. Oct 5, 2012
    Heavily scripted, plays make no sense most of the times, and only shines in a few spots (ignore the garbage reviewers say about looking `realìstic``, thats absolute bs, that`s marketing $$ talk), still enjoying the fact that there's no real competition out there for it. Oh and the GM talk, roflmao, what a joke. Gj 2k, this will be my last copy.
  15. Nov 25, 2012
    NBA 2K13 is a really good basketball game that should be given a try by all. The iso-motion controls are much better. The game's presentation is really good. My Player has some new additions, most of them are good. The PC version does have some missing features, most notably the vc system found in the console versions. The addition of the dream team is a good choice.
  16. Dec 7, 2012
    Besides a few good things, this game gets old pretty fast. A person who knows how basketball works will not enjoy this game as it could not be much further from the real thing.

GAMEPLAY

OFFENCE: First of all, teammates are blithering idiots. I've come across many occasions where a player had a completely open shot, which he decided not to take, only to drive into four players taking
    a stupid looking contact shot. I've yet to see one of those go down. Another problem is when you call for screens. For a dozen times at least, my teammate literally ran into me, leaving me no place to go but into the defender.

Passing system (or the lack thereof) NEEDS A COMPLETE OVERHAUL. Can't stress this enough. No matter what I try, if a defensive player wants to steal a pass, he will. Leading a player as you pass does not work in the slightest. Passing needs a dedicated stick (for those like me, who use an XBOX 360 controller on the PC). Here's an idea; left stick dedicated to dribbling like in the previous year's game and right stick for passing.

DEFENCE: Locking someone down is near impossible. Your controlled player moves like he has a walking stick somewhere lodged in him. Changes direction like a truck. I should be able to control my momentum more effectively, without having to wait a full second each time I want to change my direction. Also, stealing mechanics are absolute GARBAGE. The times I've been called a reach-in foul for no reason are numerous. Forced me to stop going for on-ball steals. That is just wrong. Which actually does not matter much because anyone can turn into a GOD OF STEALS by playing the passing lanes. A random player could make Gary Payton look like a terrible defender.

Teammates, again, are morons. Forget about a 1 on 1 stop, anywhere, they will just get out of the way. The only stops I have seen are a few blocks, and the times the offensive player dribbles like a 10 year old kid into the defender, dropping the ball.

MODES

The "My Career" mode feels life playing numerous exhibitions as the game tries to suck up to you, pampering you in a few different ways. No late 1st round pick should be labeled "FUTURE OF THE NBA" after a handful of games. A GM or a fan should be able to tell me "You're a useless player, shut up and get out". And the interviews, absolutely pointless. Development system could be much more realistic. Playing Blacktop games shouldn't earn you SP (which allows you to upgrade your statistics). And most importantly, you should get some SP from the sponsorship deals, magazine covers etc.

Other modes, I can't say much about. I did not have enough time to play them.

One more thing to say would be the lack of an All-Star weekend on the PC. One of the most exciting events to watch in real life, 2K decides to leave out.

DESIGN

A basketball game being produced by Jay Z does not mean much for me. I prefer a good basketball game produced by......Big Bird to a bad basketball game produced by Jay Z. In-game presentation graphics could be better. I think 2K should consider making it more like a TV broadcast.

OTHER POINTS and POSITIVES

I really like the commentating. Besides a few occasions they did not annoy me, which is all I can ask from game commentators these days. Pre-game introductions are okay, could be improved by adding player-by-player introductions like before real NBA games. Shoe creator is an interesting but welcome addition.

OVERALL

I love basketball but this game fails to reflect the beauty of the game, it just tries to. I can appreciate the effort given to detail. You can tell people in 2KSports have really tried to make this as detailed as possible, but failed to deliver in the most important parts. Maybe they need some competiton?
  17. Aug 6, 2013
    Scripted game, it's frustrating to play something like this, bad controls, A.I. it's poor, teammates do stupid things all the time, only good things in this game are the dream team and the graphics.
  18. Aug 23, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. its an amazing game, the only bad thing i think it have, it´s the punctuation of the match, its very unreal, and, of course, Justin bieber, why is she in the game?? Expand
  19. Nov 13, 2012
    well this is still the best basketball game for pc. however 2k really could pay attention to bugs. there is literally too many of them for me to type here. if pc patch will come as late as for nba 2k12 i will be seriously pissed. have anyone even tested this game before release? its not like these bugs are hidden or anything, my first game and i already had half of them happen to me :S

im not one for violence but this game made me thrown my pad at the wall screaming curses for all neighbours to hear. get a grip 2k. really.
  20. Oct 7, 2013
    [spanish] Realmente lamentable que 2K subestimaran a tal punto a los usuarios de PC, con este juego que no tiene ni un tercio de lo que trae en las consolas. Modo Online Un Asco!
  21. Oct 4, 2012
    This game is the worst waste of money that you can waste. Don't buy it, it sucks. Play the last year's one because this one is a waste of 60$ that you will never get back.
  22. Oct 13, 2012
    This game feels like nba live. heavily disappointed and a big step backwards from stellar 2k12 and 2k11. I like my 2k just fine without jay z. on HOF defensive play is crap. As i have said this is far from a 2k game. this is like something EA games would make.
  23. Nov 1, 2012
    This game is absolutely horrendous so far compared to 2k11. Menu layout is extremely poor, actual attribute customization of your own player doesn't exist. There's just a ton of useless fluff appearance stuff. Actual controls in the game are also complete garbage. Why combine bounce pass with the same effing button as dribble moves. Which leads me to passing in general. If there's a way for your player to pass it straight at an opponent instead of to the guy you want the game will do it. All the extra cut scenes and little music videos are also not needed. I want to play the game not watch a bunch of extraneous **** Dunno what crack the official reviewers are smoking. Expand
  24. Nov 1, 2012
    DO NOT BUY THE PC VERSION IF YOU WISH TO PLAY ONLINE, EARN POINTS, ETC YOU CAN'T EVEN PLAY A FRIEND ON ONLINE....WTF 2K The PC Version of NBA 2K13 is currently missing the following features and modes included in the console versions of the game. Click Read More to see what they are. Game Modes MyTEAM Preorder All Star Weekend (dunk contest, 3pt contest) Game Features MyCloset for MyPLAYER VC Currency System (the game uses the console Collapse
  25. Jan 6, 2013
    For me, the biggest problem in this game is the lack of attention to keyboards' users. Some things are impossible to do with a keyboard. It is a PC game, why do I have to use a controller to play well, and not my keyboard? If I want to play to a game with a controller, I buy a console.
  26. Jul 24, 2013
    I think all the game parameter are in a high level, gameplay, sound, graphic all of them are amazing, but the little problem is that in the PC version we see lack of facilities, I hope in next versions it becomes more and more better.
  27. Aug 22, 2013
    The game is absolute and utter crap. Piece of PC version ofcourse. Playvision dont work, opponent jumps like crazy and get every ball, tactics most of time dont work so its very fckin hard to do some play. Opponent AI is retarded, also your team mate AI is uber retarded. My carrer is simply said bad and full of crap and yes broken like all in this crap game. Online play lags as 1 out of 10 online matches will not lag. Game cant remember some settings so You must always turn them on. I have played all basketball games and I must say that 2k every year make crapier basketball game and they dont even show some desency to make patch to fix all they do. Expand
  28. Sep 14, 2013
    I have been watching and playing (up to a semi-pro level) basketball since I was a little kid. NBA 2K13 is not an accurate representation of basketball. Dumb-as-rocks AI, false mechanics, a joke of a physics system makes this game infuriating to play. Below are a few negative points:

-The PC version is missing many features that are on the console.

-MyCareer mode feels like a 2K let
    a 10 year-old kid decide everything about it. What kind of a sick coach would put in his 6'3 point guard to guard Tim effing Duncan for 10+ minutes? The kind of coach that is in NBA 2K13.

-AI feels retarded at many occasions. They take dumb layups, leave men open. Man this AI is stupid!

-One simple thing: JUMP SHOT MECHANICS ARE FALSE, 2K! In real life, if you spent any time at all after you've reached the end of your jump before releasing the ball, that is a LATE RELEASE, not a perfect release like this game thinks it is. Every proper shooting coach will teach you to release before you waste any energy. Maybe the 2K staff needs a shooting coach?

-There is a button for bounce passes but the game might choose to dish a bounce pass even if it would be a stupid thing to do (and you did not use the bounce pass buttons).

-Physical mechanics are a JOKE. Sometimes players feel less athletic than sloths. It does not take anyone a full second to start sprinting or change direction. That is the case in NBA 2K13, when I press forward and sprint, my player takes a full second to initiate a long dribble and starts running.

I lack the energy to bash this game any further, I've just played it for ~50 hours. This series should've come a lot further in the last 4 years. I do not think 2K14 will be much different.

On the bright side, very good presentation elements and control scheme (if only the players did things realistically).

CONCLUSION: I doubt anyone in 2K payed any attention to the important details. They got it to work and said "that should do it". That's what this game feels like.
  29. Dec 4, 2013
    Alright, let me get started with: I'm a big fan of basketball. I absolutely love seeing Lebron dunking and all these great three-point shooters out there. Now back to the game. No matter how late this is, for those who prefer the cheaper NBA 2K game, this is probably the game to get. I am speaking from over hundreds hours of game play. This game has a variety from playing team against team, to playing with a career created by yourself. You can even select your favorite play in NBA and play with his career. This variety gives the game an excited push. I have read so many of these reviews on this game and I have to say, I probably would disagree with many of them. This graphics are classic and and game play seems to be rather smooth besides a couple of lag glitches that a player can receive. Other than that, the flashy dunks, shot stick timed shooting, and even the dribbling moves makes the game really realistic. Those who claim that they love basketball and then turns around saying that this game is bad should really rethink about what they like. Again, for those who can't afford to buy the console version or even the new 2K14 and enjoy using PCs, this game is perfect for you! Expand
  30. Nov 1, 2012

Thanks to the online features that work flawlessly, the magnificent commentaries and perfect gameplay, as well as the variety of historic rosters and Olympic teams, NBA 2K13 is undoubtedly a classic hit in the sports games genre. [February 2013]
  2. Jan 29, 2013
    NBA 2K13 is very smart game that offers so many tactical possibilities.
  3. Dec 12, 2012
    Gorgeous, immersive and packed with game modes, NBA 2K13 is one poorly designed keyboard setup away from b-ball glory.