6.7

1. Oct 6, 2012
    There was never so much cheese from CPU in any of the 2K games. It is impossible to enjoy while playing against CPU on superstar or hall of fame difficulty. And if you want to make it enjoyable, you will need to try many game sliders combinations which takes time or you will need to play with Heat, Thunder or Lakers (I am sure fans of other teams also play this game). Another issueThere was never so much cheese from CPU in any of the 2K games. It is impossible to enjoy while playing against CPU on superstar or hall of fame difficulty. And if you want to make it enjoyable, you will need to try many game sliders combinations which takes time or you will need to play with Heat, Thunder or Lakers (I am sure fans of other teams also play this game). Another issue is that the game has so many bugs. One of the examples is from MyCareer mode which is almost unplayable if you are not point guard because play vision doesn't work correctly or there is a bigger problem in scripting if CPU teammates do not run plays at all. The bug is well known by now and there is still no solution (not all of the users have this bug). Rebounding is atrocious as it was in previous games. Too much contact layups, speed problem is still present, magical moves (read: magically disappearing in defense, CPU goes straight through you) from CPU are still there, magical spawning and going in contact layups from CPU even if they are not close to you is still there. I played 2K11 and 2K12 and there were some bad first impressions, but not as bad as they are now. On the other hand, game has some positive sides. Overall presentation and bunch of new pre-game and in-game animations area big plus. Commentary is good and on time. Music is enjoyable, but there is too much Jay Z tracks. I am not sure what they meant to do with "executive produced by Jay Z". Who gives a damn about who "executive produced" soundtrack. Also, I need to mention online games - there is no lag, some online features from 2K11 are coming back and that's very good. Except for invisible scoreboard bug.
    I will give this game a solid 6, it deserves no more than that, at least not until the patch comes out which will, hopefully, fix some major bugs.
  2. Nov 13, 2012
    well this is still the best basketball game for pc. however 2k really could pay attention to bugs. there is literally too many of them for me to type here. if pc patch will come as late as for nba 2k12 i will be seriously pissed. have anyone even tested this game before release? its not like these bugs are hidden or anything, my first game and i already had half of them happen to me :Swell this is still the best basketball game for pc. however 2k really could pay attention to bugs. there is literally too many of them for me to type here. if pc patch will come as late as for nba 2k12 i will be seriously pissed. have anyone even tested this game before release? its not like these bugs are hidden or anything, my first game and i already had half of them happen to me :S

im not one for violence but this game made me thrown my pad at the wall screaming curses for all neighbours to hear. get a grip 2k. really.
  3. Dec 7, 2012
    Besides a few good things, this game gets old pretty fast. A person who knows how basketball works will not enjoy this game as it could not be much further from the real thing.

GAMEPLAY OFFENCE: First of all, teammates are blithering idiots. I've come across many occasions where a player had a completely open shot, which he decided not to take, only to drive into four players taking

GAMEPLAY

OFFENCE: First of all, teammates are blithering idiots. I've come across many occasions where a player had a completely open shot, which he decided not to take, only to drive into four players taking a stupid looking contact shot. I've yet to see one of those go down. Another problem is when you call for screens. For a dozen times at least, my teammate literally ran into me, leaving me no place to go but into the defender.

Passing system (or the lack thereof) NEEDS A COMPLETE OVERHAUL. Can't stress this enough. No matter what I try, if a defensive player wants to steal a pass, he will. Leading a player as you pass does not work in the slightest. Passing needs a dedicated stick (for those like me, who use an XBOX 360 controller on the PC). Here's an idea; left stick dedicated to dribbling like in the previous year's game and right stick for passing.

DEFENCE: Locking someone down is near impossible. Your controlled player moves like he has a walking stick somewhere lodged in him. Changes direction like a truck. I should be able to control my momentum more effectively, without having to wait a full second each time I want to change my direction. Also, stealing mechanics are absolute GARBAGE. The times I've been called a reach-in foul for no reason are numerous. Forced me to stop going for on-ball steals. That is just wrong. Which actually does not matter much because anyone can turn into a GOD OF STEALS by playing the passing lanes. A random player could make Gary Payton look like a terrible defender.

Teammates, again, are morons. Forget about a 1 on 1 stop, anywhere, they will just get out of the way. The only stops I have seen are a few blocks, and the times the offensive player dribbles like a 10 year old kid into the defender, dropping the ball.

MODES

The "My Career" mode feels life playing numerous exhibitions as the game tries to suck up to you, pampering you in a few different ways. No late 1st round pick should be labeled "FUTURE OF THE NBA" after a handful of games. A GM or a fan should be able to tell me "You're a useless player, shut up and get out". And the interviews, absolutely pointless. Development system could be much more realistic. Playing Blacktop games shouldn't earn you SP (which allows you to upgrade your statistics). And most importantly, you should get some SP from the sponsorship deals, magazine covers etc.

Other modes, I can't say much about. I did not have enough time to play them.

One more thing to say would be the lack of an All-Star weekend on the PC. One of the most exciting events to watch in real life, 2K decides to leave out.

DESIGN

A basketball game being produced by Jay Z does not mean much for me. I prefer a good basketball game produced by......Big Bird to a bad basketball game produced by Jay Z. In-game presentation graphics could be better. I think 2K should consider making it more like a TV broadcast.

OTHER POINTS and POSITIVES

I really like the commentating. Besides a few occasions they did not annoy me, which is all I can ask from game commentators these days. Pre-game introductions are okay, could be improved by adding player-by-player introductions like before real NBA games. Shoe creator is an interesting but welcome addition.

OVERALL

I love basketball but this game fails to reflect the beauty of the game, it just tries to. I can appreciate the effort given to detail. You can tell people in 2KSports have really tried to make this as detailed as possible, but failed to deliver in the most important parts. Maybe they need some competiton?
  4. Mar 23, 2013
    Ugh. This game is love/hate for me. I love the MyPlayer mode, and it's super addicting building up your player into a beast, but for all the awesome 20 pt/25 board games I get there's those games where 2k13 reveals it's flaws, such as non-sensical animations ruining a good play, or the fact that boxing out is at times hit and miss, it shouldn't be THAT hard to get your guy to stick to hisUgh. This game is love/hate for me. I love the MyPlayer mode, and it's super addicting building up your player into a beast, but for all the awesome 20 pt/25 board games I get there's those games where 2k13 reveals it's flaws, such as non-sensical animations ruining a good play, or the fact that boxing out is at times hit and miss, it shouldn't be THAT hard to get your guy to stick to his man and BOX OUT, but too often he ends up nowhere near where you would want him to be (such as boxing out the air under the basket) the controls in this game are awful. Just awful. If you're not fancy dribbling/dunking, then it all just falls apart. But I guess that's fine for most people who don't care about anything else when it comes to basketball. They need to quit it with the 3 second long pre-canned animations that completely screw you over multiple times a game. I shouldn't jump to block a shot and get locked into a performing some long drawn out performance piece for my entrance to Julliard. It's nonsense. I sometimes wonder if these guys have ever SEEN a basketball game. Because I'm pretty sure Larry Sanders doesn't start flopping around after attempting a shot block.

Come on Live, the door is wide open here, just make a basketball game that actually plays half-way decent.

Also, Ronnie2k looks like a douche in his fake Twitter photo, so I subtracted 2 points off the score. LOL
  5. Jul 29, 2013
    The gameplay is great, the my player and career modes are addictive, the graphics are wonderful, but I have to rate the game a pretty low 5 for two reasons: One keyboard controls suck, but that's not surprising for a pc sports game. Get a control pad for pc and it's a non issue.

Two, there are crucial features missing from the pc version. There is no virtual currency system like in xbox version. This makes me so angry. On xbox version you can build up a bunch of currency playing games or 1on1 matches or doing shooting drills, then go start a career and instantly have an all-star level skilled player. Not so on pc. You can only get skill points by playing games in career mode. Makes everything a grind and tedious. Very disappointing that such a crucial feature was left out.

Thanks to the online features that work flawlessly, the magnificent commentaries and perfect gameplay, as well as the variety of historic rosters and Olympic teams, NBA 2K13 is undoubtedly a classic hit in the sports games genre. [February 2013]
  2. Jan 29, 2013
    NBA 2K13 is very smart game that offers so many tactical possibilities.
  3. Dec 12, 2012
    Gorgeous, immersive and packed with game modes, NBA 2K13 is one poorly designed keyboard setup away from b-ball glory.