7.7

1. LaurenceC.
    Dec 5, 2002
    This is a step backwards from the previous 2 NFS games. The main attraction to me was owning, tuning and lovingly taking care of the cars I could afford. This is just a cheesy ramfest, with no damage system, no depth, questionable handling, and no purpose other than to line EA's pockets with undeserved cash. Sya needs to have his eyes checked mind, this game looks gorgeous.
  2. LeviF.
    Mar 10, 2003
    This game has one major flaw you would easily find in NFS IV. Career Mode. There is a point system which can be used to unlock tracks and cars, but it's just not the same. And EA still hasn't implemented Hot Pursuit mode online yet, something I was hoping they would add in the second installment of 'Hot Pursuit. But there is only Single Race and Lap Knockout for internet This game has one major flaw you would easily find in NFS IV. Career Mode. There is a point system which can be used to unlock tracks and cars, but it's just not the same. And EA still hasn't implemented Hot Pursuit mode online yet, something I was hoping they would add in the second installment of 'Hot Pursuit. But there is only Single Race and Lap Knockout for internet play. Not impressed. Expand
  3. CaioO.
    Dec 25, 2002
    It is still pretty fun. But I agree with Laurence: it is much worse than the previous 2 versions. No more career mode, no more tuning cars, no more damage... NFS Porsche was very good. They could have kept much of it, just adding other manufacturers. Now, the variety of cars is really good, but everything else is disapointing.
  4. MoriczB.
    Apr 14, 2004
    This game is lame, all the fun and the car management fromthe NFS5 was dropped for a arcade style game. Lame :((
  5. JoeBob
    Mar 6, 2003
    This is a great game single player, but they really should have added the police in mulitplayer, cause racing around is just boring. They could have done a lot more..
  6. SyahrulN.
    Nov 22, 2002
    This game is great . Nice new added cars and tracks . However the graphic is yieks... to be compared to NFS 5 : Porche Unleashed.
  7. Nov 1, 2013
    This game isn't all that great. Porsche Unleashed is much better. The graphics are nice but the tracks and races are boring. The two cons are that some races are way too long and get frustrating when you're just about done and crash, and the tracks don't have enough stretch to go fast. What's the point of simulating a 500hp+ car when there's not enough room to max it out? Just when you'reThis game isn't all that great. Porsche Unleashed is much better. The graphics are nice but the tracks and races are boring. The two cons are that some races are way too long and get frustrating when you're just about done and crash, and the tracks don't have enough stretch to go fast. What's the point of simulating a 500hp+ car when there's not enough room to max it out? Just when you're about to pass 200mph there's a sharp turn and you have to go back to 80mph. I found that very disappointing. Also there's a chase camera which is underdeveloped, it hurts your eyes when you play in that mode. The cars never get damaged and there are no ramps to jump off. Play Porsche or Underground instead. Expand
  8. Nov 28, 2013
    Going to good graphics, Moderate to excellent cars, moderate realistic car damage and good driving physics. but has a bad gameplay and bad police chase that can boring the player.
  9. Nov 16, 2011
    Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit 2, I love this game, and not just because of childhood memories. I've never played the console version of the game, so I can't make that comparison, but I'll say the PC version is no doubt the best NFS game I've played, and I've played everyone to date that was available on the Xbox or Xbox 360 (Besides The Run) including some of the older PC titles. I'mNeed For Speed: Hot Pursuit 2, I love this game, and not just because of childhood memories. I've never played the console version of the game, so I can't make that comparison, but I'll say the PC version is no doubt the best NFS game I've played, and I've played everyone to date that was available on the Xbox or Xbox 360 (Besides The Run) including some of the older PC titles. I'm actually ashamed of the newer games butchering the Need For Speed franchise by catering to larger audience by putting in explosions and on foot sequences, which is totally not true Need For Speed. I mean, I think all was going well for Need For Speed up until Undercover, which took the series into a new direction in a bad way. Hot Pursuit 2 features 3 basic modes plus multi-player (which doesn't appear to feature cops at all). There's Hot Pursuit which is a non-story based career mode, where you complete challenges in increasingly faster cars, including circuit, knockout and point to point races. Timed challenges and then Be The Cop where you must ram and arrest a minimum number of racers to succeed. Best of all, unlike the newer games, you don't need to place first, eliminating a lot of the frustration. If you're having trouble getting first, no problem, you can pass with 3rd. Worth mentioning is that in Hot Pursuit mode, all of the challenges have cops somewhere, whether it's the AI or you. There's then Championship mode, which is basically the opposite, a bunch of races with absolutely no cops anywhere. Then there's just the plain race mode, where the game's points system comes in. You gain points both for playing in the custom races mode, or by completing challenges in the career mode. You then spend these to buy new cars and tracks for race mode. In Race mode, you can choose Single Race, Be the Cop, Knockout, Tournament and Free Run. Most of which you can toggle settings like police, traffic and number of racers. However, there is a lack of the "Time of day" option, which was featured in previous games. A couple of tracks take place at night, but most take place during various times of the day, which is disappointing. There's also a new wanted system, as you are in a race and get in multiple pursuits, you will get more stars in the next pursuit. And these affect how the cops behave, not only increasing the pursuit length, but the cops will begin calling in backup including an extra cop to pursue, helicopter and roadblocks/spikestrips (all of which you can use in Be the Cop mode). Also, unlike previous games, there's a larger variety of cop cars, as the majority of the game's cars (but not all) have police variants. All of the cop cars are the same however, they all have this very generic logo and black and white finish, and same lightbar. Luckily though (best part about the PC version, most likely) is mods! Download new skins including mods that make the cop cars headlights flash and even entirely new police cars. Beware however, I would recommend only using skins or modified versions of the cars already in-game. I have seen many issues with downloading entirely new cars such as Dodge Charger for example, which isn't already in game, which usually results in you having to re-install the game. There's also modded tracks and more, all of which are fairly easy to install assuming you can follow instructions. Anyway, that concludes my review of Need For Speed Hot Pursuit 2. Buy? Yes. Sad thing is this game is nowhere to be found, probably only way is to pirate it and send an apology letter to EA. Excellent game, buy nao. Collapse

1. PC Gamer
    A moderately entertaining, albeit retrograde, arcade driving experience. [Jan 2003, p.112]
  2. The game has an all around solid polished look, and still manages to retain a steady frame rate without any slowdown.
  3. The sad thing is that even when you use high res modes such as 1280*1024, you still don't get anywhere near the feeling of a true photo-realistic ambience...All things considered, NfS: HP2 is one heck of racing experience.