6.7

1. Aug 1, 2013
    Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit is a very cool racing game. It looks great, the engine sound and the music are good and the tracks are well designed. The tuning is not extensive, the KI is not surprising and the control of all cars is almost the same.
  2. Nov 3, 2013
    Pros: gorgeous graphics, nice music, night/day cycle.
    Explorable mode (free roaming) this feature really saves the game for me. It's really nice to travel across the beautiful landscapes (especially at night whit lights off or during a cloudy day).
    Mixed: driving is only somewhat interesting. Cons: IA cheats disgustingly (for example, cops can catch up very fast even when you're at max
    Pros: gorgeous graphics, nice music, night/day cycle.
    Mixed: driving is only somewhat interesting.
    Cons: IA cheats disgustingly (for example, cops can catch up very fast even when you're at max speed and using nitro oO) Engine noise is awfull and sounds like crap. Pc port is badly optimized (hiccups and lags on a 2500k/560ti, no AA support). You're forced to do every single race to unlock the next tier of races too bad if you don't like one kind of race. No dynamic weather (it's tied to the race). Dumb cut scenes that are not skippable. No snow or fog effects.
  3. Aug 14, 2012
    Read the negative reviews, they are basically true. I did not expect much from this game, and I had my share of fun with it. Multiplayer can be quite challenging, and you get bounty points for multi as well. So there is no need and point grinding trough the single player, only for practice or because of the nice locations.
  4. Nov 11, 2011
    "Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit" is a great racing game with clean, smooth graphics and solid gameplay. However, the controls are kinda buggy for PC and if you're not playing online there really isn't much to do with the single player. If you want a solid racing game, NFS: HP might be your best choice....for now.
  5. Dec 2, 2010
    Flashy, loud, fast paced, and annoying. The game has many flaws. Graphics are bad and I really hate how the AI works. NFS titles don't rely on how well you're lapping, but rather, a AI will decide to overtake you and somehow get +100hp and zoom by you when you're at top speed. It's annoying. The story is really just dumb for lack of a better word. However, there is a nice car selection andFlashy, loud, fast paced, and annoying. The game has many flaws. Graphics are bad and I really hate how the AI works. NFS titles don't rely on how well you're lapping, but rather, a AI will decide to overtake you and somehow get +100hp and zoom by you when you're at top speed. It's annoying. The story is really just dumb for lack of a better word. However, there is a nice car selection and there are some exciting times. I would recommend this if you find it for $5--$10 for a cheap thrill. Expand
  6. Dec 1, 2010
    Just wanted to express my disappointment about this game. I expected NFS not Burnout. Constant over-steering in corners, unstoppable catch-up AI and a steering that's reacting so slowly that one might think they brought this game out just to annoy people. Cant say anything against graphics and sound. Also haven't had any technical problems. But the contrast to SHIFT is just immense. CantJust wanted to express my disappointment about this game. I expected NFS not Burnout. Constant over-steering in corners, unstoppable catch-up AI and a steering that's reacting so slowly that one might think they brought this game out just to annoy people. Cant say anything against graphics and sound. Also haven't had any technical problems. But the contrast to SHIFT is just immense. Cant recommend it to any racing gamer. Expand
  7. Dec 26, 2010
    Hot Pursuit offers wonderful scenery and cars, nice graphics, good soundtrack and good audio sampling of the engines. Hot pursuit modality is funny (using both policeman or racer) and finally cars can be damaged. Gameplay is fast and easy, while car dynamics are completely unreal.
    But Hot Pursuits lacks in variety. It is very repetitive after the first hour and it is very easy.
    Another
    Another lacks are the abscence of a minimum customizzation and **** view.
  8. Jan 19, 2011
    Its a solid experience until you eventually race on all like... 12 roads in total over a hundred times. I wouldn't call this game god awful, because it starts off cool, but like Howard Dean in 2004, it shines, then fizzles out really quick. Multiplayer can be cool, but queuing takes longer than you would certainly like, and well, if you played it, you could find the rest of the issues inIts a solid experience until you eventually race on all like... 12 roads in total over a hundred times. I wouldn't call this game god awful, because it starts off cool, but like Howard Dean in 2004, it shines, then fizzles out really quick. Multiplayer can be cool, but queuing takes longer than you would certainly like, and well, if you played it, you could find the rest of the issues in one or two races easily, thats how blatantly obvious some of them are. Autolog is a good idea, if you have friends that have this too. Ill be nice to it and give it a 5, just for the sake of the 6 hours of fun I had with it. Collapse
  9. Mar 21, 2011
    How do I protect myself from bad games if I'm determined to not pirate? How does this game have a Metacritic score of 85? Where do I go to get true reviews? I need to start relying on the user scores instead.

My first experience in the NFS series came in 1999 with High Stakes. And have been looking out for an update to that game play in recent years. I thought this 2010 version of Hot Pursuit may be it. To some extent, the graphics captured the style of that 1999 version in regards to the environments, but the similarities end there.

The two biggest disappointments are, 1) No manual transmission and 2) very limited graphics options. First, how can you have a racing game using high performance, exotic cars with automatic transmission? Does such a thing even exist in the real world? And why does the HUD even have a tachometer if there's no shifting?

Second, this game is fairly pretty, but on my rig, I have higher expectations than this game supports and I'm running a 1.5 year old Radeon 4890. I realize this is a console port, and now I realize just how dated the PS3 and Xbox360 hardware must be. I wish there was at least Anti Aliasing support. Seeing angles in the yellow stripe going around the curve is so '90s.

As for the game play, once you get over the reality that this is not a racing sim but rather an arcade game, it can be fun. You certainly don't need a speedometer, and you don't really need to spend much time learning the courses. After 1 or 2 runs, any course is perfected because you can drive reactively. Go into a turn too hot? No problem, just drift. Still too fast? Hit the e-break and get a little better angle. Still too fast? No worries, you'll just bounce off the rail and get back into the race. The outsides of the courses have fences to keep you from running off the road. And you just rub or bounce right off of them.

The cars can take quite a bit of damage. I've yet to wreck one to the point that I can't complete the race. Oh and smashing head on into on coming traffic at 100+ MPH triggers a pretty cool 3rd person slow motion view of the action, but as far as what it does to your position in the race, no worries, you'll only loose 1 or 2 spots and easily gain them back if you have more than a mile to go to the end.

You are offered no race replays. I've had some moments that I wouldn't mind seeing again, but too bad, I'll just have to remember it. And there's no tracking of your times, only the best time on each course and which car you used. Bottom line, if you're looking for a good racing seem with lots of features and car customizing. Look elsewhere. This title doesn't live up to the legacy of the NFS series.
  10. Dax
    Mar 28, 2011
    First thought: This is worse than the GTA4 port. My system is mega fast, but cant play NFS hot pursuit.
    The game looks good. Gameplay is fun. BUT what is wrong with EA? I have a lot of problems playing the NFS series. Hot Pursuit is choppy and slow, while Crysis 2 plays perfectly on extreme settings. I managed to do patches and resource settings(switching 2 of my 4 cores off) and it runs a bit better. The same happened to me when I played NFS Underground.
  11. Dec 30, 2011
    Ok, this game didn't really set out to be a driving simulator. It is fun though there are problems. Controls and graphics have been compromised when being ported to the PC and it can get repetitive. Still, seeing a Bugatti police car crash is quite satisfying.
  12. Mar 31, 2013
    Solid 5 for graphics and car models, nothing more, because everything else is junk. An lazy remake of NFS: Hot Pursuit 2. Game fully supports Xbox 360 controller on PC, but it works really poor. Doesn't matter what you drive, all cars drive the same way. And... oh well, drift can make car faster on curves... Are you serious But the most irritating things, are car accidents cut scenes. CutSolid 5 for graphics and car models, nothing more, because everything else is junk. An lazy remake of NFS: Hot Pursuit 2. Game fully supports Xbox 360 controller on PC, but it works really poor. Doesn't matter what you drive, all cars drive the same way. And... oh well, drift can make car faster on curves... Are you serious But the most irritating things, are car accidents cut scenes. Cut scenes in racing game This is the worst decision, which ruins the rests of fun left. EA publications, such as this game, can be only reconsider as bad jokes, not worth any money. Expand
  13. Nov 25, 2010
    When i saw the good critic reviews i looked forward to playing this game, but when i played it disappointed me. The graphics are nice, but i feel like there isn't a story, and how the cars feel is really bad. I play Racedriver Grid a lot, and i think that game has the right balance between fun and realism in the handling. I can imagine that a lot of people will enjoy this game, but for meWhen i saw the good critic reviews i looked forward to playing this game, but when i played it disappointed me. The graphics are nice, but i feel like there isn't a story, and how the cars feel is really bad. I play Racedriver Grid a lot, and i think that game has the right balance between fun and realism in the handling. I can imagine that a lot of people will enjoy this game, but for me the fake driving just kills the fun. I'm not going to give it a really low score, because except the game-play it looks good, and you can have a bit of fun with it, but i would give it a 6.5. A 7 is too high in my opinion, so my score is a 6.
    You could have fun with this game if you don't mind the driving, but for me this just isn't the game.
  14. Dec 17, 2010
    It's not so bad. Granted, when you first start, it's horrible.
    You have to sit through an ad then you have to connect the the "autolog".
    Honestly, though, these are temporary distractions and really don't need to be done again. They just don't add to the game's initial impression one bit. However, playing the game's career mode is pretty good fun. It seems like criterion researched the
    It's not so bad. Granted, when you first start, it's horrible.
    You have to sit through an ad then you have to connect the the "autolog".
    However, playing the game's career mode is pretty good fun. It seems like criterion researched the original Hot Pursuit and tried to reproduce it with their own Burnout Paradise kind of twist.
    It does occasionally feel like the original game, and it comes across that they did try hard to keep the player feeling carefree about game progression and upgrades, while still giving the free-roaming that NFS has included with almost every release for many years (barring SHIFT and Pro Street).
    This Free Roam is a failure, as there's nothing to do but drive in the car you select.
    For some odd reason, I can't help but feel like I'm playing a great DLC for Burnout Paradise.
    That said, the car control isn't as refined as BP, and I've heard that using a wheel is nigh on impossible.
    Which is just plain stupid. It's a racing game.Wheels add to the realistic feel of the game, therefore, there will always be players wanting to use wheels.
    So, Ratings...
    Graphics: 7. It's not revolutionary, but they look ok.
    Sound: 6 Decent music if you like that kinda thing, nice SE but the engines just don't come through for me, no matter how much I tweak. EG, Even in the in-car camera modes, the engine is barely audible. That bites, and you can't adjust engine volume.
    Gameplay: 8. A great try to remake something that many people played and loved. Not many are going to see it the same way, but I did catch glimpses of the old HP in this game, and they were nice memories.
    Overall, I reckon it's in for a 7.
    A good game, but introduces itself in the most irritating way possible. The meat of the game is great fun, and quite similar to the game it's based on. Still, something tells me that Criterion could have done much better.
  15. Jul 27, 2012
    Stunning graphics, physics and scenery. The game play was good at first, but Hot Pursuit's linear game play eventually gets boring. There's nothing that is distinguished from anything else, it seems all about just racing. I know the Need for Speed franchise is focused almost entirely on racing, but at least you could actually do something to your car. And the lack of customization from theStunning graphics, physics and scenery. The game play was good at first, but Hot Pursuit's linear game play eventually gets boring. There's nothing that is distinguished from anything else, it seems all about just racing. I know the Need for Speed franchise is focused almost entirely on racing, but at least you could actually do something to your car. And the lack of customization from the previous NFS games I find very disappointing; as a racer you could only choose the colour of your vehicle, and with the cops you can't customize it at all. But although all of these features it lacks, the graphics are stunning, the vehicle models are stunning, the physics are too. But I think all Criterion are trying to do is keep that Burnout feeling in their games: The destruction when you take down a vehicle is very much like Burnout. I did enjoy Hot Pursuit, but it does not belong in the NFS genre.

Thanks Criterion, but no thanks.
  16. Oct 11, 2011
    never a fan of DLC games! I just find it unfair! after buying an expensive game...we need to buy more to maximize the fun of the game?! did we bought a demo game? I just hope someday, EA will just sell a game that has everything for us buyers to explore, not to swipe before we explore
  17. Nov 16, 2011
    decent game, graphic is good, crashes looks cool. If you're bored try it or grid, bot very decent games. specially good time to test it now since price dropped significantly.
  18. Apr 6, 2012
    Great graphics and the feeling of the original Hot pursuit series with a plus: Nitrous, Powerups and the great fun of a Burnout title (thanks Criterion). The choice of let Criterion Games to try to save de Need for Speed series was a great idea because they have created an awesome game. The car models are highly detailed, you can even see the animation of the Air break of the BugattiGreat graphics and the feeling of the original Hot pursuit series with a plus: Nitrous, Powerups and the great fun of a Burnout title (thanks Criterion). The choice of let Criterion Games to try to save de Need for Speed series was a great idea because they have created an awesome game. The car models are highly detailed, you can even see the animation of the Air break of the Bugatti Veyron.

Pure arcade gameplay, it feels good with a Gamepad. Don't expect for many camera angles or for manual transmission shifting (both available with modifications). If you want to use a Steering Wheel, you have to look for a non-official modification, because the original game just can't work with a Steering wheel.

I purchased this game on a "Steam Daily Deal" expecting a great racing game to play with my friends on LAN parties... It was a very bad idea, because all the stuff on this game is Online. EA introduced the Autolog feature to stay in touch with your friends and compare your records, also offered to connect with facebook to make easier the way you find friends, BUT, the autolog feature is unique in the Need for Speed Series, so i couldn't use Autolog because Need for Speed: The Run uses Autolog, so I cannot find my friends in Facebook, making it a disposable multiplayer game if you buy it nowadays, unless you like to see that the 1st and unique records on the leaderbords are yours.

It could have beed great to play this "Cops vs. Bandits" game in a LAN party, but that will never happen. If you want a good LAN party game, you could look at GRID, Dirt 2/3 or Blur.

I don't know if it really worthed for 15 USD i payed for it.
  19. Nov 19, 2013
    Single Player/Multi Player (2/2)

(If the single player is better than the multiplayer, review this section as if it had no multplayer) (If the multiplayer is better than the multiplayer, review this section as if it had no single player) Gameplay (1/2) Visuals/Story (1/2) (If the visuals are better than the story, review this section as if it had no story) (If the story is
    Single Player/Multi Player (2/2)

Gameplay (1/2)

Visuals/Story (1/2)

Accessibility/Longevity (1/2)

Pricing (0/2)

Wildcard (0)

20. Dec 27, 2014
    This here a glorified Facebook game with AAA values thrown in.

All kinds of licensed cars? Yes. Any kind of tuning? No. No manual transmission either. Two careeers? Sure. Any kind of plot/reasoning? No way. Good graphics and FX? Yes, sort of. Good soundtrack? Eh... Um... There is not one, not really. There are some... tracks, but to call them a soundtrack would be a disgrace
    This here a glorified Facebook game with AAA values thrown in.

All kinds of licensed cars? Yes.
    Any kind of tuning? No. No manual transmission either.

Two careeers? Sure.
    Any kind of plot/reasoning? No way.

Good graphics and FX? Yes, sort of.
    Good soundtrack? Eh... Um... There is not one, not really. There are some... tracks, but to call them a soundtrack would be a disgrace to NFSU, for example. The music is bad and so quiet you can't hear it over the engine. It's for the best, though.

And this game is tightly wrapped around around multiplayer. Sure, you can play alone all you want, but it's so much more fun to read news and updates from your friends on their racing careers and to compare your results on the speedwall and why not join them for a friendly race, too? Please! We built and entire dashboard for all your multiplayer needs!

The Facebook game is real and sad.
  21. Nov 13, 2012
    race design aside, the game was really hindered by the awful (or nonexistent) driving physics. Every car drives the same, and it's not very good. I was a fan of the old skool NFS games, even the more arcade ones, because even though they felt "arcade-y", they still displayed relatively accurate driving physics, giving each car a different personality and driving style. Not possible here
  22. Jul 13, 2013
    Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit was half and half for me. I have been a huge fan of playing as a police officer in the previous games however I was disappointed with the campaign for cops this time around. The racer campaign was good, however it was filled with an annoying amount of drifts, way too much traffic, and at times outrageously lengthy races. The cop campaign was filled with bugs,Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit was half and half for me. I have been a huge fan of playing as a police officer in the previous games however I was disappointed with the campaign for cops this time around. The racer campaign was good, however it was filled with an annoying amount of drifts, way too much traffic, and at times outrageously lengthy races. The cop campaign was filled with bugs, and civilians who shouldn't have their licences (will explain).

When I started the game I was expecting the cop campaign to be interceptor, and hot pursuit missions however I was surprised by the preview and rapid response missions. Rapid response requires you to be almost perfect giving you a 2 second penalty for touching a wall and a 3 second for a civilian, not only is this difficult but it doesn't make sense. Everyone and their mom knows to pull over when they hear a siren or see the flashing lights however the civilians in rapid response choose to ignore it and continue driving. This makes rapid response missions almost impossible to play on highways due to the three lane traffic and 90 degree turns, to conclude the rapid response and preview missions were poorly thought out and are almost certain to disappoint (4 rapid response missions are the only gold medals I have left before 100%). The only other complaint I had about the cop campaign was hitting a suspect car head on does cause damage to them (it should cause the most) causing me to lose at least 3 gold medals.

Finally the racer missions. The racer missions were thought out a little more, the only complaint I really have is the poor level design. It seems like I spent the majority of the gaming drifting around sharp bends and dodging traffic. I would like to see some more hot pursuit missions, the best part of the racer campaign were the hot pursuits.

In conclusion I would not suggest buying this game unless it is less than $6 (wait for the steam shop to put it on.) Besides the disappointing times in game play, and the repetitive missions, the visuals live up to EA Dices horrible reputation of adding ridiculous lens flares making the road and traffic hard to see at times. Buy this game if you are desperate or it is on sale.
  23. Nov 1, 2013
    I have never liked the Hot Pursuit series from NFS, so this one is just another bad game, at least, for me. From recent years, NFS The Run is the only who made me fall in love again with NFS.
  24. Mar 10, 2014
    NFSHP is a good game for me even though i prefer play underground-like games with modification features, playing as law breaker driver or police was good. There aren't so much weapons in game and i think it's good for me. If i wanted more weapons, i might be playing Blur. Driving mechanics are good, but it's not a smiulation don't forget it. For an arcade racing game with runners andNFSHP is a good game for me even though i prefer play underground-like games with modification features, playing as law breaker driver or police was good. There aren't so much weapons in game and i think it's good for me. If i wanted more weapons, i might be playing Blur. Driving mechanics are good, but it's not a smiulation don't forget it. For an arcade racing game with runners and chasers, that's a great game. Expand
  25. Nov 16, 2014
    Play cop and only way it can cause damages to the suspects' cars is to ram them from behind, as sharp braking ahead of them and letting it crashed into your back bumper has no effect at all.

Suspect can go wrong way and then turn into other roads, so suddenly you've no idea what's going on, not until you figured out that they has alternative destinations on different triggers and elements.

Difficulty level is not in specific order (on the same class of unlocked races), as on some races it's almost impossible to win the race unless you gained more XP points/awards to unlock a better performance car, then driving the unlocked car gives higher winning rate on the same race track. Some races are too easy, so are so hard and almost impossible to win the best result/award, unbalanced as the races and game modes has been unlocked 'near approximate'.

Finding new shortcuts gives you points in the final finishing time to reach a destination?! No wonder no matter how fast I've sped, I couldn't win the highest mark/score, unless I've taken the shortcut in the race track to gain discounts in the final result.

As much fun as GRID ... a rather confusing game. But than nothing new!
  26. Nov 29, 2014
    Easy to pick up and not much learning curves. As with most racing games, I play this one on chase view (behind car). It's pretty exciting to play, or may be I've never played any Burntout games?
    Simply use the keyboard to play.
    Control keys remapped: Arrow up: accelerate. Left/right arrows: steering. V: brake. C: handbrake. X: turbo/nitro. Z: look back. Arrow down: change driving
    Simply use the keyboard to play.

Control keys remapped:
    Arrow up: accelerate. Left/right arrows: steering. V: brake. C: handbrake. X: turbo/nitro. Z: look back. Arrow down: change driving view.
    D, F, B and spacebar for other "weapons" use.

My best time on Memory Valley - Precision Pursuit is 2:26.58 (driving one unlocked XKR white police car). Other not so good time records before getting the best time are 2:32.64 and 2:33.64 (driving the smaller car at the far left among a selection of cars). I bet of a lot of you die hard "skaters" can beat my record by driving through the shortcut through a tunnel. I use used the shortcut to the right soo passing under that (highway crossover) bridge with red lights. This game only requires a finish time of 2:35.00 on this race ... not much hopes for those playing with Xbox 360 gamepads?
  27. Jan 19, 2011

1. Jan 29, 2011
    Intoxicating. [Jan 2011, p.104]
  2. Jan 12, 2011
    Criterion Games hits the old and trusty NfS-Series with a welcome and refreshing blast from the past. It offers fast and furious oldschool-action, plenty of mileage and an overall good ride. A lack of modes, some rather bland racetypes, the always present rubberband-A.I. and a lack of challenge bothered us. But overall we liked what Hot Pursuit had to offer. A lot!
  3. Jan 12, 2011
    NFS Hot Pursuit will not reinvent the genre but it is great fun and perfect for quick races inbetween. If you aren't the competetive type however the game starts to lack soon.