3.4

1. Nov 20, 2013
    The PC version. graphically is very disappointing low resolution textures, a lot of aliasing (saws everywhere), poor lighting, very few configuration options ...

This does not look like a "NextGen" game.. I think EA has sabotaged the PC version in favor of the new consoles if this is true EA really is the Cancer of this industry...
  2. Feb 14, 2015
    First off i find it utterly retarded that you are not able to pause the game, even though you are playing single player. This is for 2 reasons. First off you wont be able to leave your computer unless you're in a hideout or ready to throw away your bounty, because even if you're not in a pursuit trying to escape from the cops, they will still try to take you out if they drive by you, evenFirst off i find it utterly retarded that you are not able to pause the game, even though you are playing single player. This is for 2 reasons. First off you wont be able to leave your computer unless you're in a hideout or ready to throw away your bounty, because even if you're not in a pursuit trying to escape from the cops, they will still try to take you out if they drive by you, even when you're not moving. Secondly, you are not able to mark a route to either a hideout (to bank your money), or a garage to fix your vehicle while you're in a pursuit. This is really damn annoying because the cops can wreck you hella fast, and you can do nothing but hope that your drive by a garage to fix your vehicle. You can see the nearest garage on your map, however you cannot see what road to take in order to get down there.
    When this has been said, i find most of the reviewers in here to be crybabies and give the game a way lower score than it deserves for stupid reasons. This game have some problems of course, like any other game, specially when they're from EA. I wouldn't pay the release price for this game either, but i picked the game up for €8 and i find it to be worth my money for sure.
    This game reminds me a lot about Hot Pursuit in many ways; Controls, Racer+Cop Campaign, and the landscape in general. Only this games also have Car upgrades which was one of the only things i REALLY missed in Hot Pursuit.
    Not the best Racing Game ever, but indeed very decent - A well deserved 7/10!
  3. Dec 30, 2013
    No Steering wheel support is the clincher for me. You can't seriously enjoy a driving game with out a wheel IMO. The new PS4 controller feels a bit sluggish to me. A good race car should have tight, precise steering. But the controller seems to float a bit like a boat with some cars.
    I have played through both story lines and think NFS:R could be an awesome game were it not for the No Wheel Support issue.
    The graphics and cars are great with minimal lag issues. Physics are totally arcade but many people like that. It is quicker to drift a tight hairpin at 220 kph than to brake and corner like a simulator. Unrealistic but fun all the same.
    You will finish the story and even unlock the Platinum trophy pretty quickly. The real fun is PVP taking down other Players, especially hunting in a pack with friends. Although you will search a bit as there are only 6 people allowed per session, but you can quick travel to any event/base once you have located your prey on the world map.
    I would give this game an 7 if there was Wheel support, so until then it gets a 5.
  4. Nov 25, 2013
    I believe there may be a good game hidden somewhere inside, but it's hidden by all the BS:
    30 FPS, in theory should be enough for the human eye, but in practice it is not, especially if you have a normal "work & game" PC setup and are sitting close to the monitor. It's Headache time gents.

Next comes the tutorial. An unskippable tutorial with unskippable cutscenes that tell me things a five yeat old could have figured out by himself. Except for the Keyboard controls, of course, "Page up"?? Are you f**ing kidding me? Btw. in the tutorial videos it is constantly referred to as "the button". I don't know if I should call that cheap or annoying. Probably both.

Anyway, back to the game. Car handling feels good, except for the fact that the tires where apparently stolen off of a Prius or something. If I wanted crazy drifing I would play Dirt or something.

So lets head to the garage and install better tires. Oh I can't, i can only buy a "handling" upgrade. Seriously? This may sound nitpickingish, but why for heavens sake can't I buy new tires or a new engine? I could do that in Street Rod I, 25 years ago! But apparently the guys at EA want do destroy the immersion as much as possible. To drive the point home they also included EMP weapons and more such nonsene as well as ridiculous amounts of nitrio.

One thing they chose to give more realism is car strength. So the police can get you really quickly, especially with the help of all the crazy toys. I guess this makes sense, given the multiplayer nature of the game, but being a single player fan myself I find it rather annoying.

Well I guess I'll leave it here: Rivals is not a bad game, but it does nothing new and some things rather badly so I don't see a reason you should pay full price for it. Wait a bit or just stick with any NFS game you already enjoy.
  5. Nov 23, 2013
    Great game.

Play it on a console if you can, because it's capped at 30 fps. In my opinion, that's the only thing holding it back from being the best PC racing game to come out in years. Gameplay is incredibly addictive, story is okay and could be better, cops are aggressively fun, cars rule.
  6. Dec 4, 2013
    If PC gamers ever want to shake their stereotype as wealthy spoiled brats, they need to stop posting poorly written, whiny reviews.

If you read the hordes of trolling reviews (not recommended), you'll see almost every last one of them mentions the same two things and do not talk about the gameplay, story, multiplayer, or even graphics at all. If you are the kind of person that can make a decision based SOLELY on an FPS cap and unskippable cut-scenes, then you don't want this game, stop reading here.

For the 5 of you still reading, Need for Speed Rivals is basically Hot Pursuit 4 it draws as much as possible from the 2010 game while thankfully avoiding last year's disaster. This means that like the 2010 title, it's all fun and no substance. Most of the same types of events are here race, interceptor, hot pursuit, etc.

However, the focus of Rivals isn't what's the same, but rather what's different. The mere presence of cut-scenes MUST mean there's a story, right? Well... no. There is no story. There are no characters, no rival gangs, no crooked cops, and none of the awesome story from Most Wanted (2005) or Carbon. Just a narrator giving background information about a feud between cops and racers that is never seen in game.

The funny thing about this game is it has no multiplayer. It also has no singleplayer. When you start a game while on the internet, you are connected to a room with up to 5 other people. While you are progressing as a cop or racer, so are the other players as well as AI cops and racers. Basically, every player in the room is playing a 1 player game at the same time. If player 3 starts a race, that race also exists for the other players any cop, human or AI can bust not only player 3, but also their opponents. Your race checkpoints might take you right though another racer's interceptor, and you might wind up helping or hindering other players and vice-versa. I have personally shutdown every racer in a hot pursuit event without actually busting any of them myself, because another player and two AI cops got them all for me. Also, I once crashed head on into a racer during a rapid response while they were in an interceptor. The crash both wrecked me and busted him, costing both our events.

This concept is awesome, and it works quite well. But it has two main flaws first, AI are not allowed to repair. If you're chasing a group of racers or being chased by a group of cops, there is little reason to bust/wreck anyone but the human first, as they are the only ones that can refill their health and items. Most Need for Speed titles let the AI do things players cannot (*cough*rubberbanding*cough*) but this title does the reverse. The other flaw is that in each 'room', one player is the 'host'. When that player quits, the room is reset and any objectives you completed must be done again. UGH.

Overall, Need for Speed Rivals is a very fun game, but it's not too deep. You will be entertained, but don't expect longevity from this title.
  7. Jan 1, 2014
    My eyes started bleeding when i saw that 30cap... Thats it, last game from nfs series i'll ever buy!!
    It has good graphics but that handling arghhh! I'm def gonna buy a ps3 and stick to GT series or Codemasters games.
  8. Dec 2, 2013
    I love this... look at all the zero scores saying all the ten scores are fake, and yet just as many zero scores are one login, one review people (simply signing up to sl@g EA off)

In a nutshell... EVERY version of this game is 30FPS next gen consoles included not ideal but hardly the woeful game-breaking issue everyone is crying about.. Graphics are lovely, controls are arcadey

In a nutshell...

Graphics are lovely, controls are arcadey as ever it's basically a revamped Hot Pursuit (the one before the horrible Most Wanted and The Run) no bad thing at all...

It is what it is fun, glossy, disposable a perfect little arcade racer to get you through the festive season... just don't expect it to last much longer after that!
  9. Nov 20, 2013
    First of all, the FPS being capped at 30 is bad, but saying that the game is absolutely awful because of that is silly, and I bet that the game wouldn't be getting half as many rants if people didn't know it was locked. I'm not saying people can't tell 30 from 60, but I am saying the game looks awesome at 30 and the difference between locked 30 and unlocked [most likely less than 60] doesFirst of all, the FPS being capped at 30 is bad, but saying that the game is absolutely awful because of that is silly, and I bet that the game wouldn't be getting half as many rants if people didn't know it was locked. I'm not saying people can't tell 30 from 60, but I am saying the game looks awesome at 30 and the difference between locked 30 and unlocked [most likely less than 60] does not make the score drop from 7-9 down to 0.

The unskippable cut scenes that everyone are referring to are in the first few minutes of the game.. after the first 10-15 minutes you can skip cut scenes to your hearts content. In other words, people who have been citing that as a reason for low scores has played 10 minutes or less before ranting here.

I like this game.. it's a good arcade racer. The scenery is beautiful and varied ranging from coastal areas to snowy mountains and deserts. The handling is awesome and it really feels like you're going fast. Music is still a downside for me and I would love to see some sort of user-created playlists or support for your own mp3s.
  10. c3p
    Jan 22, 2014
    It would be nice if you could pause when you are only playing with bots.
    FPS is not that bad, but it is worth 1 point in my opinion.
    What i dislike most is that the map is pretty useless, i would like to zoom it out much further.
  11. Nov 22, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Love the new weather system, especially when raining and single player mode not the best but cop career is more fun then racer. If technical issues are fixed then it will be great.
    Personally I liked most wanted 2012 more because of finding cars instead getting them by rank.
  12. Nov 28, 2013
    Amazing Gameplay,Graphics,and all you'd expect from a racing game. though it lacks of gameplay (only 4 available) and such a big pack of bugs came with this game. Fps lock to 30, Vehicle Debris still messed up,etc. but the graphics amazing with the frostbite 3, the dynamic weathering system *nerdgasm*. but it still needs development, until then i'd give this game a 7
  13. Dec 15, 2013
    1) to play this game properly on pc you need a directx11 compatible GPU.
    2) you need to install the directx update.exe
    3) net framework for game most recent 4) and all the visual c++ 2005 to 2012(86) and the 2012(64) update When i first installed the game it looked very poor and the pop up was unbelievably terrible (unplayable) after installing what i needed from the above list,
    1) to play this game properly on pc you need a directx11 compatible GPU.
    2) you need to install the directx update.exe
    3) net framework for game most recent
    4) and all the visual c++ 2005 to 2012(86) and the 2012(64) update

When i first installed the game it looked very poor and the pop up was unbelievably terrible (unplayable) after installing what i needed from the above list, the game ran very well with no pop up and better graphics quality.

My system is an i7 2nd gen 16mb ram asus gtx560ti 433cores 1.28gpu (mediocre) directx 11 compatible. And the game runs very well.

The 30fps is an issue because it makes the game hard on the eyes and after playing grid2 the 30 fps rate was a deal breaker for me. It does detract from the enjoyment a lot.

A lot of the scores are unfair on this page, because I believe most of the problems people are getting with this game are because they have not set up their computer properly to play it.
  14. Apr 7, 2014
    Yes you have to do a little tweaking to make the game actually work decently but it can work in the end.
    Just add -GameTime.MaxSimFps 60 -GameTime.ForceSimRate 60.0 to put it in 60 fps (but you need a really high end PC).
    If you have a monster of a PC, you can even add " -Render.ResolutionScale 2.0" to render in 4k and downscale to full hd. You can even remap gamepad button by editing
    You can even remap gamepad button by editing Ghost GamesNeed for Speed(TM) RivalssettingsPROFILEOPTIONS_profile under your my documents folder.

What bothers me though is that the driving is awkward. Sometimes the car just won't turn, like if it were on a railroad. Though not completely frustrating, it gives way less pleasure then driving in NFS Hot pursuit.

It's a pity because the game is otherwise enjoyable and has stunning graphics.
    Decent purchase for less then 30$/€ but if you don't have NFS Hot pursuit (2010) I'd suggest you buy it instead.
  15. Feb 13, 2016
    I played the PC version once it was released, and, to be honest, it looked amazing, but at 60 fps, the experience would have been muuuuch better... Anyway, fun game with amazing graphics.
  16. Jul 19, 2014
    this game have no story u just drive a car not do anything else and on pc this game hard locked at 30 FPS !! but graphics and gameplay is great !! if this game have story well be a great game
  17. Aug 2, 2014
    the FPS was awful and i didn't enjoy the game but visuals was perfect and give me a real sense of driving and i prefer that i didn't bought it because it was so boring
  18. Aug 13, 2014
    I think this game is really maded just for the fans of the series. This game miss something important, graphic from engine works pretty, but its sooo boring on first look. You cant even skip cutscenes, tons of boring moments and even coops do sometimes really weird job. As i say, try this game if you are really big fan, not even hardcore gamer or gamer, what likes taste of great game..I think this game is really maded just for the fans of the series. This game miss something important, graphic from engine works pretty, but its sooo boring on first look. You cant even skip cutscenes, tons of boring moments and even coops do sometimes really weird job. As i say, try this game if you are really big fan, not even hardcore gamer or gamer, what likes taste of great game.. Because this is dissapoiment. Expand
  19. Mar 7, 2017
    *sigh*
    I actually enjoyed this game, I didn't mind the graphical downgrade that the PC version sadly recieved. BUT.....
    I don't see how I couldn't play the game on the absolute lowest and wasn't able to keep constant 30 fps(note that my PC meets the minimum requirements, sure the PC version is awfully optimized even today but the game plays amazing but looks meh in this PC port.
    *sigh*

Nevertheless if you want to play the PC version for the gameplay and not looks get it.
    Till then this receives a 6 out of 10
  20. Feb 23, 2017
    This game constantly hijacks your gameplay with unskippable tutorials. It takes about 45+ minutes of intros and tutorials before you can actually play they game on your own. Then the game cheats like crazy. For instance, youll be racing someone and they will get in an accident or be forced off the road and crash and they will disappear from your radar and you think you're winning. The gameThis game constantly hijacks your gameplay with unskippable tutorials. It takes about 45+ minutes of intros and tutorials before you can actually play they game on your own. Then the game cheats like crazy. For instance, youll be racing someone and they will get in an accident or be forced off the road and crash and they will disappear from your radar and you think you're winning. The game will wait until you get near the finish line and will spawn the enemy racer on a side road right before the finish line and the guy will nitro out in front of you faster than he ever drove before and steal the win. They will spawn him literally 5 seconds before the finish line, unbelievable! If you want to deal with this kind of cheating go ahead, but I cant stand it. Expand
  21. Oct 29, 2016
    One of the most ruched out games with one oft he worst PC ports ive even experienced. To get good things out of the way, game looks pretty sweet on maxed settings and cars sound almost as in real life, but one thing about the sound that angers the hell out of me is that devs were so lazy that they put Porsche Panamera V8 sound samples and applied them on Carreta GT which suppose to have aOne of the most ruched out games with one oft he worst PC ports ive even experienced. To get good things out of the way, game looks pretty sweet on maxed settings and cars sound almost as in real life, but one thing about the sound that angers the hell out of me is that devs were so lazy that they put Porsche Panamera V8 sound samples and applied them on Carreta GT which suppose to have a V10, Considering thats one of my dream cars i was pissed off quite a lot. Theres finaly some customization options back, but you cant change body parts or anyhting, just mostly decals, vynils, more body paint and performance.

On the bad side game runs like a$$ with a 30 fps lock and modding it to unlock it can mess up the game. Driving doesnt feel nearly as good as it did n Hot Pursuit or Most Wanted, it feels too stiff and driving physics can take a nose dive nd overall feel very poor. If youre driving too fast game can even freeze for several seconds in certain game world areas. YOU CANNOT PAUSE THE GAME !!! Even if youre playing solo and offline game cannot be paused, in an arcade game like this just doesnt make any sense. Cops are overly agressive and overpowered, like youre going down highway in a Veyron at 400 kmh but cop in Gallardo catches up out of nowhere and gives your car major damage. Oh yeah damage system really sux, you got way too little hit points before you go down making you an easy prey for 5-0 and safe houses can be way too scattered leaving you screwed. Also whole cops avs racers narrative is cringe enducing. Theres also lots of sound bugs.

Unless you can get this for 5 $ or less, dont bother with it, even if youre a die hard NFS fan.

1. PC Gamer
    Jan 31, 2014
    One good idea--the racer's scoring system--spoiled by a thuddingly dull cop campaign and dumb design decisions. [March 2014, p.68]
  2. CD-Action
    Jan 10, 2014
    EA managed to end the bad run of Need for Speeds released in odd years. But even if it’s the best NFA in a long time, it could have been better. Rivals looks and plays really good but it could use a properly working multiplayer or a real single player mode. And if you remember Most Wanted, Rivals looks quite familiar. [01/2014, p.38]
  3. Games Master UK
    Dec 19, 2013
    A scintillating return to form that's all style...and no little substance. Blistering arcade racing. [Jan 2014, p.76]