5.6

1. Nov 15, 2011
    first of all, the pc version is capped at 30 fps
    secondly, there is no AA
    thats what we get for the "exclusive pc version" ea and black box - hello? frostbite engine in dx 11 with 30 fps cap and no AA? you call that 3 years of development?
    at the start of the game it tells you to press LT & RT on the keyboard. where is that on my keyboard? i cant find it. OH wait its on the controller. how
    are we meant to press controller keys on the damn computer keyboard???

and last but least, the singleplayer is 2 hours short, including cutscenes and retries 3 hours

2 hours singleplayer and **** console port and asking us for $60 ($90 for aussies)?
  2. Nov 16, 2011
    I would love to for once buy a ea game and don't feel being scammed after I've done with it. It took 2 hours to finish main story, cant modify cars-even colors ... enough said. Driving is fake, it seems nothing like in reality.
  3. Nov 16, 2011
    One word can describe this game, bullsh&t! The race structure is bs, you can't change cars at the beginning of each stage unless there's a gas station. The rubberband AI is bs, I'm driving 150mph and the police catches up at 300mph in their Ford Taurus, wtf?! The story is bs, this has a worse story than Undercover. The car's handling is bs, they are either on rails or slide all over the place, even fwd and awd cars.The only reason it got a 3 is for the graphics, the graphics is amazing, and it runs well on the PC. I would say this game is not even worth a rental. Just avoid. Expand
  4. Nov 16, 2011
    EA Black Box can't make good games anymore. NFS Undercover - FAIL, NFS World - Fail, NFS The Run - a third fail from this company (why won't EA fire them?!). Plus, they totally killed the game by not adding the AA option (while Frostbite 2 supports quite a few interesting AA modes). I spent ~1 hour on playing this game and the story is very dumb and boring although the cut scenes look quite decent and that makes me wanna see them (I'm talking about graphics).
    Driving - terrible thing about this game again. This game was purely made for consoles because I couldn't even set my driving to right arrow, left arrow and up arrow (these weren't set by default).
  5. Nov 16, 2011
    This game is locked at 30fps. That's right, the PC version is a console port as usual but this time EA did not even bothered to unlock the fps so even if you have a super rig you will be stuck at 30fps. EA shows once more how much they care about PC gamers. DO NOT BUY THIS GAME!!!
  6. Nov 16, 2011
    Why for the love of god can't they remove the cap from thees games when they do the porting. I mean honestly leaving fps caps in games is so zero effort on the devs part that its not even funny. Not only does the game look choppy @ 30FPS but the way thees games are made it cause the input lag to go through the roof :/
  7. uah
    Nov 17, 2011
    Pros: - Scenery is nice - Racing is fast and reliable - Overall graphics are good (but expected better) - Feels like NFS Cons: - Game is capped at 30 fps - No AA options - Can't use custom game-pad - The Plot is trash, who would pay 25 million $ to the winner of an illegal race? - Cut-scenes are boring like hell - Can't change controls while in a game - No fast race option just "story" - They didn't give PC users a demo (guess why?)

Overall: 4/10
  8. Nov 22, 2011
    Well, First of all the level design look great, it would be veeeery nice if they will let you free roam it, it's amazing how you can get a glimpse of USA in game. The selection of cars also much much better than in other NFS titles.
    BUT ... If you consider this a racing game that's more inclined towards arcade, why put that idiotic reset function, what was wrong with pressing R like in
    the old times. Let me explain, you are racing through a village and you have 250km/h and you hit a bump in the road, you jump straight into a telegraph pole, reset from 2km back. You are racing at high speed and a police car pushes you into incoming traffic, reset again... that is incredibly annoying and i can't understand why no one is saying that here. You take a wider curve and you go off-road, if you stay there for more that 1 second you get reset again. You have a limited number of resets per race (5 or 10 depending on difficulty) Also you can't modify your cars at all performance wise. You can change color and you have 3-4 tuning kits BUT (again yes) you can only change your vehicle while visiting a gas station during the race and there are gas stations only on certain tracks (you don't know in advance which). So if you can seldom change your car why such a big selection of cars ? Another thing that i find it incredible is that you can't see the track shape before the race. Of course there are the regular things for NFS titles like opponent catch up, police targeting only you and while computer drives cars they are faster than while you're driving them but i got used to that.
    About the story there is nothing to say (from me) same old bad acting and 3d actors that have no message. ( i really liked Maggie Q in Undercover).
    My advice is try it at a PC store or at a friend, no idea if a demo is out.
  9. Nov 18, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. As it is conversion from consoles the only things which Frostbite 2 achieves is The Run are higher requirements and low performance. Only few locations look really good, but I'm sure this could be done with old engine. You can't even change your car when you want, you have to drive into a gas station (and by the way lose few positions) which sometimes is even in the end of race. And this police Nissan GTR - WOW. It has to be an AMS Alpha 12 version with 1500bhp as it goes from 200-300km/h faster than my McLaren MP4-12c with nitro. Racing is enjoyable, but even on hard difficulty the game is easy. Whole The Run is about 300 miles not 3000 as game can be finished in 2 hours. I've had Xbox buttons in qte, but as I removed my gamepad there are keyboard keys. Generally game is not worth buying. Expand
  10. Nov 28, 2011
    Another hard-scripted console crappy game-like movie with lame plot and a bunch of unexplainable idiocity. The parts where you had only push one button, when asked, were done fine. Everything else is just a train-racing game. There are invisible rails for opponent cars, there are rules that apply only to the player, and never to opponents, there are trees you can fly through, and there is a constant line 3 meters away from the road that forces a "rewind" action, no matter what the situation. Everything is hard-scripted, just like the COD:MW3, but there it was done correctly. Here it is nothing more but an obvious idiocity and lazyness of game developers. And so this review would not an all-talk, here's few things that prove my point. The reason this game could not be called a racing game is that no real racing rules apply to it. Every event is timed. Be it an opponent move or some cutscene, whatever. And to run all those events correctly a lot of things gets ignored. Opponents position, speed, situation, player's actions - none of it matters. The game will show you an awesome opponent crash scene, and won't give a f*ck if you already wrecked him into a cargo container 100 meters before. The cop on some low-tier car with a 304kmph top speed WILL get before you the moment your 350kmph nitro ends and will do an instant-stop in your face. The game will reset you if you go more than 3 meters into the flat field, and won't give a f*ck to the fact that you can easily go back to the track and keep going. The game will show a nice "WRECKED" message for *scraching* your car to pedestrian side walk or another car, but the same time will completly ignore some street poles and even trees. And this only applies to the player's car. Opponents are TANKS ON RAILS. They don't care. Even if those rails leat to obstacles. The game is confined into simple rules, that make everything in a game nothing more than a decoration behind a "press ENTER to win" text, thus making player nothing more than a dumb ape. Another half-assed arcade racing console game that puts NFS series into deeper sh*t than it already is. But I'd still give this game a mark of 3 for nicely done "on-foot" scenes and "good-enough-for-a-console-port" graphics. "Most Wanted" is still the best. Expand
  11. Nov 18, 2011
    I have been playing the NSF games since I was a kid and you know what? I'm getting tired. The newest installment offers too little, too late. The PC version is terribly laggy and buggy. The FPS rate is slow, which is a killer for a racing game. The cars are mostly unresponsive. The gameplay is 2 days (if you have a job). What annoyed me to high heaven was the restart system which takes you back to the latest checkpoint if you so much as go one meter off the road. If that sounds stupid and ridiculous to you, believe me, it is. The bugs are everywhere. Sometimes the game freezes, sometimes the sound will go weird, and the cutscenes let's say presenting a hidden cop in the bushes can only be problematic - when the camera is back to the car, it turns out the car has hit the tree because you didn't have enough time after you regained control over the car.

I also had a big problem with the sense of reality - the cars, as mentioned, seem heavy and tank-like almost - but give them a smallest crash and they go literally flying into high heavens, spinning like crazy as if they're made of paper. Overall, I think NFS should be wise to just shut down while they are somewhat ahead - it's clear they don't know how to make a good racing game.
  12. Nov 30, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The only reason I hadn't lost faith in Black Box after NFS World was because I thought EA wasn't giving them enough time to meet their demands.

After trying out The Run however it became crystal clear that Black Box ether don't care about games anymore or are just complete f*****g morons. Nearly three years of development and assistance from DICE and they still haven't managed to deliver a decent (not good, decent) game.

I could easily write a three page review with all the problems this game has. I am however struggling to find something good in it...

The graphics and optimization are complete failure. DICE pride themselves on having an engine that can render life-like graphics but forget two things: 1st off life-like doesn't necessarily mean it looks good, both The Run and Battlefield 3 lack any kind of style, and 2nd off any engine can render high quality graphics at the cost of hardware. Frostbite isn't revolutionary in any way, considering that it requires Dexter's computer to run and display everything as it should. I ran NFS The Run with everything set to Ultra at 1024 x 768, not the highest resolution, but games can look brilliant on it, unfortunately The Run looked worse with everything set to Ultra at 1024 x 768 than Undercover with everything set to minimum at 800 x 600...

In terms of gameplay, The Run is as basic as it can get. Not a bad thing, Hot Pursuit was basic but yet awesome. Unfortunately The Run only has enough gameplay elements or content to be considered (at best) a demo. One that takes up around 16 GB of HDD space.

I played it for about 2 hours hoping to get a good enough opinion on it... and to my surprise I actually finished the game...

The challenge series are the same thing as ''The Run'' / Career, not even worth mentioning...

The multiplayer is the same as the challenge series, but on multiplayer :P Speedbook... Autolog is back but unlike in Hot Pursuit it's just an excuse for the multiplayer being complete and utter s*it.

The story, while no-one was expecting an Academy Award winner, it's probably the worst in any game I've ever seen. Jack's voice actor is a combination between Batman (TDK 2008) and Adam Jensen both with d*cks in their mouths.

Bottom line The Run doesn't even feel like a 6 month game, let alone a 3 year one. As a PC game it's nothing more than an benchmarking tool that doesn't even work... not to mention it costs 60$ more than it's really worth.
  13. Jan 24, 2012
    This is not a typical NFS game. It is a Fast'N'Furious cross country game and is restricted to the USA. How about equality? I have never seen any tracks set in Australia (my home country) except maybe NFS2. Silly plot, short plot, crap plot, you name it. Very casual. Can't setup cars, can't choose track, stupid rubber-band AI (cars driving faster than you even if you are driving a very fast car), loving to drive you off road, loving to drive right in your face. I want a real NFS game. NFS: High Stakes is what Need for Speed means to me. Expand
  14. Nov 23, 2011
    Just saw and i know now. No buy for me. 30 fps cap!!!!! 30!! Everyone knows that 30fps feels like moving through a pudding, it wont let You feel any speed and thats what NFS series was about, am i rite? Unless they will fix that with some patch i recommend not to buy Need For Pudding: The Run.
  15. Nov 29, 2011
    What was everyone expecting?

So here's what you get in this game - NFS:HP with a awful story and quicktime events. Like most EA published games, this is nothing more than a cash grab on a popular series.

Using a Xbox controller on PC, the game is playable even on more moderate PCs. The graphics are average, but that's about the only static part of this game. Everything else is
    constantly changing - the controls are responsive, then the game won't even let you downshift. The AI is typical EA/BB fare, with rubberband competition to make the game "exciting". What's exciting about dominating an event to have a VW Golf GTI pass me .6 seconds from victory? Or to have a cop magically alter the laws of physics to turn a tap into a punt?

I haven't completed the story and I probably won't, its simply not worth the frustration. There are a few fun moments ingrained in a sea of awful aggravation. I'd say rent it, but that would support the company that bought the game, so I can't even recommend that.

Save your money, avoid unless you're a masochist.
  16. Dec 5, 2011
    Pretty simple but fun arcade racer. Been plowing through the campaign all day and its been pretty fun or at least it was. For the first 2/3rds of the run I had no issues and it was a pretty smooth ride for the first 2000 or so miles. However after hitting Chicago the game goes to crap. The reason its gone to crap is my game dies on me 4-5 times every race. It seriously takes me about 30-40 minutes per race now before i manage to get all the way through it without crashing. Game is also a complete port feels horrible without a 360 controller and there are very few graphical options. On another note for anyone wondering about the on foot sections they are cut scenes with mediocre quick time events and they don't really add much to the game. Finally this has to be activated through Origin which is extremely touchy and will crash your game anytime you lose internet connection. Altogether this game has issues and im glad that i only paid $20 for it. Expand
  17. Jan 27, 2012
    No AA, locked at 30FPS, many bugs. The game randomly forgets my keybinds and theres no way to change it during a race, causing you to exit then change then reload. Extremely SLOW loading times (over a minute) even with a SSD + i7 2600K + GTX570. Everytime you start the game it forces you to watch their logos, no skipping allowed like in every other game. Game goes to a crawl with SLI enabled. At 1080p you still see jagging everywhere, AA desperately needed. Sky flickers like mad unless I run in windowed mode. Voice, subtitle, and animations do not sync up. Low quality cut scenes (come on now, in game looks better than that pre rendered crap). Car is randomly unresponsive which causes you to crash into things. Driving is very arcadie, with many driving assists, ex turning causes you to automatically "drift" around a sharp turn, no handbreak required. Crappy cars can out run you easily even when you're already doing 180MPH. Races are extremely short. I think I have spent more time loading than racing. Save your money. This game isn't even worth $5. Expand
  18. Jul 21, 2014
    The NFS game i liked the most was Most Wanted (the one released in 2005). It was challenging, had great customization options, and even the story wasn't half-bad. It was developed by Black Box, the same developers who made this game. So i expected something similar to that title.

Unfortunately, it doesn't come close. It's not very challenging. The races are fairly easy and the cop
    chases aren't that difficult either (just roadblocks; no spikes or the other crazy stuff that was in Hot Pursuit). It has a very short single-player campaign (like 3 hours at most). It has absolutely no customization, and a very very weak story.

The only redeeming qualities of this game are the diversity in the environments, the very good graphics and great visuals, as well as the gameplay that happened outside the car. That was a nice touch, though nothing groundbreaking.

Also, a final thing that i liked in this game is the races when there would be a mountain collapsing, or stuff exploding, and you have to evade this stuff while trying to win the race. I know it was done before; but still, it added a certain degree of excitement to an otherwise stale racing experience.

Some people are bashing this game, because the driving doesn't feel real. While that's true, it didn't bother me. I know that this is arcade-style racing, so i didn't expect it to mimic reality. But i at least expected the game to be longer in duration, have some car customization in it, and more exciting cop chases. I was very disappointed that it has none of these.

I'll probably be ignoring Black Box from now on, and just stick with the good folks in Criterion Games.
  19. Mar 1, 2013
    It is average at best. The storyline is average, the cliches are average, the controls are... bad compared to a game like nfs hot pursuit. The game is very linear and if you can get past the average and overused concept then it can be moderately enjoyable with a bit of a lengthy story mode. The game suffers from terrible controls, lack of a lot of different cars, and as many people have said, very linear. I do not mind these things but its just not as good as other racing games. 4 out of 10 Expand
  20. May 7, 2014
    **** YOU, EA !!! **** YOU, ORIGIN !!! YOUR **** GAME CAN'T BE PLAYED !!! THE GAME CAN'T DETECT MY WIRELESS XBOX 360 CONTROLLER. I SUBMITTED AN ERROR REPORT TO YOU, BUT YOU DID NOT REPLY TO HELP ME OUT. EVEN WHEN I SET THE CONTROLS TO "KEYBOARD", THE BLOODY ON-SCREEN INSTRUCTIONS STILL INVOLVES THE PRESSING OF A CONTROLLER BUTTON. THERE'S NO WAY IN HELL I CAN PLAY YOUR LOUSY GAME !!! NEVER, EVER AM I GOING TO BUY ANOTHER GAME FROM ORIGIN !!! MY ORIGIN ACCOUNT WAS HACKED A WHILE BACK. TOOK ME 1 MONTH OF EMAILS TO YOU BEFORE I GOT IT BACK. TODAY, MY PASSWORD HAS BEEN COMPROMISED AGAIN !!! UNBELIEVABLE !!! I WILL ONLY BUY STEAM GAME FROM NOW ON. Expand
  21. Apr 6, 2013
    Pros: Fun and well done for single player playing in the easiest mode... for the car driving and stuff.
    Cons: The reload time takes HOURS even in a gamer PC. In the extreme, the game is unplayable. Even if you do everything perfectly, the game will put a "ghost car" coming from nowhere to hit you.

In overall, I would suggest to NOT buy this game.
  22. Jul 2, 2012
    Terrible port, Not very realistic, VERY Short. Action scenes are boring and are about 30 minutes of the already depressingly short 2 hour story line, No car customisation, Game sounds are dull, Very little Wheel support, RWD cars seem to go crazy out of control if you use the handbrake. Last but not least, voices are out of sync and There is too much controller lag(Games responses are slow). The NFS series needs to go back to the Free roam customisation games that made them popular, Hopefully Criterion make Most Wanted 2 the sequel racing fans have been waiting for!

Not to mention, the game crashes every 10 minutes for me! Waste of £35!
  23. Jul 20, 2012
    Pros: really good graphics, awesome music, car sounds and sound effects are good.

Cons: really bad car controlling (maybe the BMWs, some Nissans and some Porsches are somehow controlable), boring story, irritating mafia, racers and police and mafia are cheating (how can the police and the mafia running as fast as a BMW M3 or a Porsche 911), short single player campaign (2 hours long),
    30 fps cap, no AA, sometimes crashes

The worst NFS of all time, worse than Underground (all two made by BlackBox).
  24. Jul 17, 2012
    It's the worst game of the Need For Speed franchise. Totally disappointing story and game-play. Graphics quality isn't that good either! They only focused on the cinematic scenes not in the game. Total disappointment to me!
  25. Mar 2, 2014
    The surroundings and the effects of nature playing a role is pretty nice (also I think I fell in love with the girl at the beginning - but don´t tell my mom!). What makes this title mediocre is the rubber band AI and the feeling that you aren´t really connected with the street but rather hover over it. This game on normal mode is way way longer than 2 hours. People who pretend that they made it in about 2 hours are just bragging with fiction. For an average Gamer like me (and I play the nfs series since the 1998 nfs hot pursuit came out) this takes for 2 hours only to finish the first stage. Maybe because I encountered a terrible sand-glitch near to the beginning ... basically the car begins to jump backwards and all you can see for seconds is a sandy-colored screen...then for a short period of time you see some cars...and so on. They also could´ve left out the scripted action-elements where you just klick a key several times and that´s it - you don´t even need to do it hastily...plenty of time...even if you´re about to get crushed in your car (as in the very first scene of the game). Of course I could overlook all these errors if the AI wouldn´t be rubber-bandy... And: don´t even try it without having a cntroller. Expand
  26. Dec 10, 2013
    terrible.

need for speed hot pursuit and the run have this disgusting feature in common:

you don't have fun while racing because there is no racing. there is just a sick script that kills all your experience and make you feel like you are straining in a maze that some inadequate loser built.

this game is beyond horrible. pretentious, horrid, bloated, a complete failure.
  27. Dec 13, 2013
    This game only looks good, everything else is dumb. The AI, physics, logic, UI and story. But wait, there is more. Once you join online, you're greeted with a slew of cheaters, exploiters and foul mouthed drivers. Mute you say? You would think so, right? To mute you must do it during the race. GENIUS! give that developer another contract!
  28. Jan 11, 2014
    Well, this game is not exactly as bad as I thought then I played this game for the second time.

To start with something new, the gameplay is actually fun somehow. Not counting other aspects like going off the road or whatever, it's not really dull. Moreover, the graphics are fine for me. However, that's all what I can say about the good things.

I guess everyone agreed the main
    problem in the game is the physics. It's too ... awkward (you'll definitely know if you play the game). Muscle cars have boat turnings while some of the exotic cars are drif... well, slidy. It's so hardcore to drive some of the cars probably.

There are also some bad things about the game, like the "story". You can just treat it as a background information of what the main character Jack is doing. Besides, if you watch the locations closely, you'll find some places in different stages really familiar (if you know what I mean). Another point is that the game is kinda fast food that you simply have no intention to play the second time when you have completed the game. The cars are so ridiculous and repetitive that you can see some cars in tier 1 actually appears in the higher tiers. Moreover, you can literally change your controls but practically it will reset every time you shut down the game. Why?

Overall, it's not exactly really boring but it's not definitely good.
  29. Jun 30, 2014
    worst game in the franchise
    -30 fps wtf?
    -slow pace game play
    -unskippable cut scenes
    -the player just has to do as the game says. its as if im watching a fu**ing movie
    -the game itself is bullshi*..
    DONT EVEN DOWNLOAD A PIRATED VERSION WASTE.

Innovation at all cost doomed NFS The Run – for every good idea comes a terrible one, and even the best ones are buried by technical issues. [Christmas 2011]
  2. Dec 27, 2011
    Tiresome racer that only takes two hours to complete, yet somehow feels longer. That's both impressive and depressing.
  3. Dec 24, 2011
    Shows how you can bury even the most original idea with lack of either bravery or fantasy. [January 2012, p.69]