5.6

1. Nov 15, 2011
    first of all, the pc version is capped at 30 fps
    secondly, there is no AA
    thats what we get for the "exclusive pc version" ea and black box - hello? frostbite engine in dx 11 with 30 fps cap and no AA? you call that 3 years of development?
    at the start of the game it tells you to press LT & RT on the keyboard. where is that on my keyboard? i cant find it. OH wait its on the controller. how
    are we meant to press controller keys on the damn computer keyboard???

and last but least, the singleplayer is 2 hours short, including cutscenes and retries 3 hours

2 hours singleplayer and **** console port and asking us for $60 ($90 for aussies)?
  2. Nov 16, 2011
    I would love to for once buy a ea game and don't feel being scammed after I've done with it. It took 2 hours to finish main story, cant modify cars-even colors ... enough said. Driving is fake, it seems nothing like in reality.
  3. Nov 16, 2011
    One word can describe this game, bullsh&t! The race structure is bs, you can't change cars at the beginning of each stage unless there's a gas station. The rubberband AI is bs, I'm driving 150mph and the police catches up at 300mph in their Ford Taurus, wtf?! The story is bs, this has a worse story than Undercover. The car's handling is bs, they are either on rails or slide all over the place, even fwd and awd cars.The only reason it got a 3 is for the graphics, the graphics is amazing, and it runs well on the PC. I would say this game is not even worth a rental. Just avoid. Expand
  4. Nov 16, 2011
    EA Black Box can't make good games anymore. NFS Undercover - FAIL, NFS World - Fail, NFS The Run - a third fail from this company (why won't EA fire them?!). Plus, they totally killed the game by not adding the AA option (while Frostbite 2 supports quite a few interesting AA modes). I spent ~1 hour on playing this game and the story is very dumb and boring although the cut scenes look quite decent and that makes me wanna see them (I'm talking about graphics).
    Driving - terrible thing about this game again. This game was purely made for consoles because I couldn't even set my driving to right arrow, left arrow and up arrow (these weren't set by default).
  5. Nov 16, 2011
    This game is locked at 30fps. That's right, the PC version is a console port as usual but this time EA did not even bothered to unlock the fps so even if you have a super rig you will be stuck at 30fps. EA shows once more how much they care about PC gamers. DO NOT BUY THIS GAME!!!
  6. Nov 16, 2011
    Why for the love of god can't they remove the cap from thees games when they do the porting. I mean honestly leaving fps caps in games is so zero effort on the devs part that its not even funny. Not only does the game look choppy @ 30FPS but the way thees games are made it cause the input lag to go through the roof :/
  7. Nov 15, 2011
    From dazzling scenery to spectacular set pieces, this is a worthy entry in the need for speed franchise. The frostbite 2 engine makes the whole world just stuningly beautiful and there is only so much that words can describe. Intense white knuckled racing is absolutely addicting. The autolog helps you compete with your friends and makes the game so much more competitive. Multiplayer is splendid and is even more enjoyable with friends as winning gives you much bragging rights. A huge variety of cars to choose, from vintage muscles to modern supercars. This game gives you that adrenaline feeling that few games on todays market offer. A must have for any racing fan, be it arcade or sim fan. This game is absolutely fun and I have no idea why IGN gave it such a crappy score. The only thing I agree with their review is that this game is slightly short but that may perhaps be that Im enjoying myself so much and finished the game too quickly which leaves me craving for me. This game is a masterpiece. Expand
  8. Nov 17, 2011
    frostbite racing game :O sounds good a pc racing game well no its a console port all the way 30fps cap no aa (don't notice the lack of aa but im not very fussy about aa ).. that being said for what it is its not a bad game not a 60$ game but not a bad game.. The cars feel like they have Wight to them still feels real arcadey to . Nice selection of cars quite a few of repeats diff models , the roads (tracks) are real nice looking nice scenery blasting by and you do feel like you are moving at a nice speed . The cops do get on your ass and the road block do catch ya now and again it has some challenge to it .. only things i dont like is how the lvls are slit up, you race for about 2 mins at a time(not finished the game yet) and have to overtake a number of opponents to win, keep in front of them for so long and time and check point races.. the story is as week as you would expect from a racing game (you cant skip the cut scenes is always a piss off ) the game seems to run easy .. Mp is meant to be a high light of this game i have not tried it yet . the game is diffidently worth one dollar for every fps you get .. Expand
  9. uah
    Nov 17, 2011
    Pros: - Scenery is nice - Racing is fast and reliable - Overall graphics are good (but expected better) - Feels like NFS Cons: - Game is capped at 30 fps - No AA options - Can't use custom game-pad - The Plot is trash, who would pay 25 million $ to the winner of an illegal race? - Cut-scenes are boring like hell - Can't change controls while in a game - No fast race option just "story" - They didn't give PC users a demo (guess why?)

Overall: 4/10
  10. Nov 22, 2011
    Well, First of all the level design look great, it would be veeeery nice if they will let you free roam it, it's amazing how you can get a glimpse of USA in game. The selection of cars also much much better than in other NFS titles.
    BUT ... If you consider this a racing game that's more inclined towards arcade, why put that idiotic reset function, what was wrong with pressing R like in
    the old times. Let me explain, you are racing through a village and you have 250km/h and you hit a bump in the road, you jump straight into a telegraph pole, reset from 2km back. You are racing at high speed and a police car pushes you into incoming traffic, reset again... that is incredibly annoying and i can't understand why no one is saying that here. You take a wider curve and you go off-road, if you stay there for more that 1 second you get reset again. You have a limited number of resets per race (5 or 10 depending on difficulty) Also you can't modify your cars at all performance wise. You can change color and you have 3-4 tuning kits BUT (again yes) you can only change your vehicle while visiting a gas station during the race and there are gas stations only on certain tracks (you don't know in advance which). So if you can seldom change your car why such a big selection of cars ? Another thing that i find it incredible is that you can't see the track shape before the race. Of course there are the regular things for NFS titles like opponent catch up, police targeting only you and while computer drives cars they are faster than while you're driving them but i got used to that.
    About the story there is nothing to say (from me) same old bad acting and 3d actors that have no message. ( i really liked Maggie Q in Undercover).
    My advice is try it at a PC store or at a friend, no idea if a demo is out.
  11. Dec 10, 2011
    From one side - the game is quite cool and interesting, from another - bugs, laggy online, lots of cheaters, overestimated sys reqs and total inactivity from the devs for the moment kills the game itself for the moment.
    Will see if there will be a patch and how good it will be, otherwise the score can go down even lower.
  12. Nov 18, 2011
    So, the run is finished. Too short, but breathtaking. I've spent only two hours to finish the storyline. Storyline could be better, but it's a race, so it's not so important. Graphics is great, but in battlefield 3 frostbite 2 looks a bit better. QTEs are awesome, but 3 QTEs during the game-that's not enough!!! Most of all i like physics of the car, you can feel weight and speed. But it's still arcade, so you will have no problems with driving. In my opinion, The Run is the best NFS since the time of Most Wanted. Autolog is still there and multiplayer as good as it was in HP. So, the main problem of The Run is that it's too short and sometimes a bit boring. 8/10. Expand
  13. Nov 18, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. As it is conversion from consoles the only things which Frostbite 2 achieves is The Run are higher requirements and low performance. Only few locations look really good, but I'm sure this could be done with old engine. You can't even change your car when you want, you have to drive into a gas station (and by the way lose few positions) which sometimes is even in the end of race. And this police Nissan GTR - WOW. It has to be an AMS Alpha 12 version with 1500bhp as it goes from 200-300km/h faster than my McLaren MP4-12c with nitro. Racing is enjoyable, but even on hard difficulty the game is easy. Whole The Run is about 300 miles not 3000 as game can be finished in 2 hours. I've had Xbox buttons in qte, but as I removed my gamepad there are keyboard keys. Generally game is not worth buying. Expand
  14. Nov 28, 2011
    Another hard-scripted console crappy game-like movie with lame plot and a bunch of unexplainable idiocity. The parts where you had only push one button, when asked, were done fine. Everything else is just a train-racing game. There are invisible rails for opponent cars, there are rules that apply only to the player, and never to opponents, there are trees you can fly through, and there is a constant line 3 meters away from the road that forces a "rewind" action, no matter what the situation. Everything is hard-scripted, just like the COD:MW3, but there it was done correctly. Here it is nothing more but an obvious idiocity and lazyness of game developers. And so this review would not an all-talk, here's few things that prove my point. The reason this game could not be called a racing game is that no real racing rules apply to it. Every event is timed. Be it an opponent move or some cutscene, whatever. And to run all those events correctly a lot of things gets ignored. Opponents position, speed, situation, player's actions - none of it matters. The game will show you an awesome opponent crash scene, and won't give a f*ck if you already wrecked him into a cargo container 100 meters before. The cop on some low-tier car with a 304kmph top speed WILL get before you the moment your 350kmph nitro ends and will do an instant-stop in your face. The game will reset you if you go more than 3 meters into the flat field, and won't give a f*ck to the fact that you can easily go back to the track and keep going. The game will show a nice "WRECKED" message for *scraching* your car to pedestrian side walk or another car, but the same time will completly ignore some street poles and even trees. And this only applies to the player's car. Opponents are TANKS ON RAILS. They don't care. Even if those rails leat to obstacles. The game is confined into simple rules, that make everything in a game nothing more than a decoration behind a "press ENTER to win" text, thus making player nothing more than a dumb ape. Another half-assed arcade racing console game that puts NFS series into deeper sh*t than it already is. But I'd still give this game a mark of 3 for nicely done "on-foot" scenes and "good-enough-for-a-console-port" graphics. "Most Wanted" is still the best. Expand
  15. Nov 18, 2011
    I have been playing the NSF games since I was a kid and you know what? I'm getting tired. The newest installment offers too little, too late. The PC version is terribly laggy and buggy. The FPS rate is slow, which is a killer for a racing game. The cars are mostly unresponsive. The gameplay is 2 days (if you have a job). What annoyed me to high heaven was the restart system which takes you back to the latest checkpoint if you so much as go one meter off the road. If that sounds stupid and ridiculous to you, believe me, it is. The bugs are everywhere. Sometimes the game freezes, sometimes the sound will go weird, and the cutscenes let's say presenting a hidden cop in the bushes can only be problematic - when the camera is back to the car, it turns out the car has hit the tree because you didn't have enough time after you regained control over the car.

I also had a big problem with the sense of reality - the cars, as mentioned, seem heavy and tank-like almost - but give them a smallest crash and they go literally flying into high heavens, spinning like crazy as if they're made of paper. Overall, I think NFS should be wise to just shut down while they are somewhat ahead - it's clear they don't know how to make a good racing game.
  16. Aug 6, 2012
    Yes, it is very short. Is not bad at all. It is a good racing game. The graphics are good, the music is good, the physics is almost good. But the thing is: this game is not so fun as other Need for Speed. EA should release it only for download and by half price. It is more likely a Demo. Is not the best NFS, but is better than Undercover and ProStreet
  17. Nov 21, 2011
    I am never going to buy a NFS game again until Shift 3 is out or underground 3. Let Slightly Mad do the NFS games, they know what we want.
    This game is one of the biggest disappointments over the past years. Reminds me of Undercover tho, beautiful but its a bunch of crap. And not to mention capped at 30FPS, no AA (Those aliasing are driving me nutz) Please, take mor care about the
    handling, its getting worse and worse (Undercover)

EA, if you want to fail again, just go ahead and continue what you're doing. If u don't want to fail, just listen to the gamer community and make something what we want
  18. Nov 30, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The only reason I hadn't lost faith in Black Box after NFS World was because I thought EA wasn't giving them enough time to meet their demands.

After trying out The Run however it became crystal clear that Black Box ether don't care about games anymore or are just complete f*****g morons. Nearly three years of development and assistance from DICE and they still haven't managed to deliver a decent (not good, decent) game.

I could easily write a three page review with all the problems this game has. I am however struggling to find something good in it...

The graphics and optimization are complete failure. DICE pride themselves on having an engine that can render life-like graphics but forget two things: 1st off life-like doesn't necessarily mean it looks good, both The Run and Battlefield 3 lack any kind of style, and 2nd off any engine can render high quality graphics at the cost of hardware. Frostbite isn't revolutionary in any way, considering that it requires Dexter's computer to run and display everything as it should. I ran NFS The Run with everything set to Ultra at 1024 x 768, not the highest resolution, but games can look brilliant on it, unfortunately The Run looked worse with everything set to Ultra at 1024 x 768 than Undercover with everything set to minimum at 800 x 600...

In terms of gameplay, The Run is as basic as it can get. Not a bad thing, Hot Pursuit was basic but yet awesome. Unfortunately The Run only has enough gameplay elements or content to be considered (at best) a demo. One that takes up around 16 GB of HDD space.

I played it for about 2 hours hoping to get a good enough opinion on it... and to my surprise I actually finished the game...

The challenge series are the same thing as ''The Run'' / Career, not even worth mentioning...

The multiplayer is the same as the challenge series, but on multiplayer :P Speedbook... Autolog is back but unlike in Hot Pursuit it's just an excuse for the multiplayer being complete and utter s*it.

The story, while no-one was expecting an Academy Award winner, it's probably the worst in any game I've ever seen. Jack's voice actor is a combination between Batman (TDK 2008) and Adam Jensen both with d*cks in their mouths.

Bottom line The Run doesn't even feel like a 6 month game, let alone a 3 year one. As a PC game it's nothing more than an benchmarking tool that doesn't even work... not to mention it costs 60$ more than it's really worth.
  19. Jan 24, 2012
    This is not a typical NFS game. It is a Fast'N'Furious cross country game and is restricted to the USA. How about equality? I have never seen any tracks set in Australia (my home country) except maybe NFS2. Silly plot, short plot, crap plot, you name it. Very casual. Can't setup cars, can't choose track, stupid rubber-band AI (cars driving faster than you even if you are driving a very fast car), loving to drive you off road, loving to drive right in your face. I want a real NFS game. NFS: High Stakes is what Need for Speed means to me. Expand
  20. Nov 23, 2011
    Just saw and i know now. No buy for me. 30 fps cap!!!!! 30!! Everyone knows that 30fps feels like moving through a pudding, it wont let You feel any speed and thats what NFS series was about, am i rite? Unless they will fix that with some patch i recommend not to buy Need For Pudding: The Run.
  21. Nov 29, 2011
    What was everyone expecting?

So here's what you get in this game - NFS:HP with a awful story and quicktime events. Like most EA published games, this is nothing more than a cash grab on a popular series.

Using a Xbox controller on PC, the game is playable even on more moderate PCs. The graphics are average, but that's about the only static part of this game. Everything else is
    constantly changing - the controls are responsive, then the game won't even let you downshift. The AI is typical EA/BB fare, with rubberband competition to make the game "exciting". What's exciting about dominating an event to have a VW Golf GTI pass me .6 seconds from victory? Or to have a cop magically alter the laws of physics to turn a tap into a punt?

I haven't completed the story and I probably won't, its simply not worth the frustration. There are a few fun moments ingrained in a sea of awful aggravation. I'd say rent it, but that would support the company that bought the game, so I can't even recommend that.

Save your money, avoid unless you're a masochist.
  22. Nov 15, 2011
    Tasty little racer. I have to say it's got more thrills than any game in its genre, and that alone is worth it its money. Its length is a problem, taking me about 4-5 hours to complete. Afterwards, there are challenges and you can replay The Run on extreme difficulty, and of course there's the multiplayer. Graphically, this game is for the most part impressive. The controversial QTEs are few and far apart, and are packed with action. I had a good time beating the game, and I recommend it, especially if you can find the Limited Edition on a good deal. Expand
  23. Nov 16, 2011
    Lots of fun. I'm trying to understand all the hate for this game. I like the handling, like the audio, its just all around fun. Just give it a shot, I think you'll like it.
  24. Dec 5, 2011
    Pretty simple but fun arcade racer. Been plowing through the campaign all day and its been pretty fun or at least it was. For the first 2/3rds of the run I had no issues and it was a pretty smooth ride for the first 2000 or so miles. However after hitting Chicago the game goes to crap. The reason its gone to crap is my game dies on me 4-5 times every race. It seriously takes me about 30-40 minutes per race now before i manage to get all the way through it without crashing. Game is also a complete port feels horrible without a 360 controller and there are very few graphical options. On another note for anyone wondering about the on foot sections they are cut scenes with mediocre quick time events and they don't really add much to the game. Finally this has to be activated through Origin which is extremely touchy and will crash your game anytime you lose internet connection. Altogether this game has issues and im glad that i only paid $20 for it. Expand
  25. Nov 18, 2011
    amazing graphics @Frostbite2 + amazing tracks! one of the best racing tracks I have ever played, and I play a lot! and great cars! awesome weather effects! snow storms! this game is AWESOME! 10/10 everybody who likes cross-country arcade racing must buy this superb game! generally I don't like NFS series, but I love The Run and I hope there will be The Run 2 in the future :)
  26. Nov 19, 2011
    The new part of the nfs is completely something new. Finally, we have a chance to see the story in nfs or racing in general, to this beautiful artwork taken from the BF3 which performs superbly here, everything is great but the game is a little too short and has its wady.Moja rating 8 / 10
  27. Nov 21, 2011
    Two hours is wildly exaggerated, I have played it and its more like 5-6 hours on normal. The two hours comes from the in game clock which doesn't include restarting levels when you fail and cut scenes. Remember you never race on the same track/road twice. There's around 40+ road levels. I liked the first need for speed on the 3dO and this one.
  28. Dec 11, 2011
    This game play has definitely improved over the earlier versions of the games of this series. Run gives an awesome visual experience with a decent storyline. It could have been better if there was provision for customisation of the motos. However from the trailer of the game one will expect and demand a more thrilling experience..but it definitely is not a game to get 5.5
  29. Jan 27, 2012
    No AA, locked at 30FPS, many bugs. The game randomly forgets my keybinds and theres no way to change it during a race, causing you to exit then change then reload. Extremely SLOW loading times (over a minute) even with a SSD + i7 2600K + GTX570. Everytime you start the game it forces you to watch their logos, no skipping allowed like in every other game. Game goes to a crawl with SLI enabled. At 1080p you still see jagging everywhere, AA desperately needed. Sky flickers like mad unless I run in windowed mode. Voice, subtitle, and animations do not sync up. Low quality cut scenes (come on now, in game looks better than that pre rendered crap). Car is randomly unresponsive which causes you to crash into things. Driving is very arcadie, with many driving assists, ex turning causes you to automatically "drift" around a sharp turn, no handbreak required. Crappy cars can out run you easily even when you're already doing 180MPH. Races are extremely short. I think I have spent more time loading than racing. Save your money. This game isn't even worth $5. Expand
  30. Jan 1, 2012
    I played NFS: The Run over christmas and I really liked it. A lot of people thought the campaign was short, but I liked the length. I don't beat a lot of games anymore, and I don't think I've ever beaten a racing game until this one, so that in itself was a really nice bonus for me.

Also, a lot of people don't talk about this, but each race course in the game is unique. It's not this
    tired tread of the game taking place in a city, and what ends up happening, is that you end up running down the same portions of streets a hojillion times over but they're called new courses, when they're really not.

Also, the dynamic camera is redic awesome (pulls out on boosts, pulls in on brakes, or turns where you lose a lot of speed). It really is a million times better then the static camera's you see in every other racing game. Just saying that since no one seems to talk about that either. Not even the game critics.
  31. Feb 14, 2013
    This is the absolute best racing game I have ever played. The controls are a perfect mix between arcade and simulation where they feel like the real cars but can still be driven impatiently. You can really feel the difference in handling, weight, torque, etc. between the cars, and especially between the old and new cars. The 60s-era Shelby Cobra is small and nimble (but has trouble gripping in tight turns) where a modern Mustang is powerful but very heavy and slow to turn. There are two things that ruin the game. The first is the UI, which is horrendous. It wasn't just not designed for the PC, it wasn't designed for Humans to use. Getting stuck with a car not meant for a track on the hardest difficulty means game-over because you can't switch it out! This is more than a bit frustrating. There's no way to skip cutscenes and there's no reason for that besides to frustrate me after having lost or restarted a game. Long load times for restarting a race are also not needed, just stick my car back at the beginning! The second problem is, obviously, EA DRM. Better-tuned graphics may have been nice but the game is still pretty enough. I'd say that if you're at all interested in cars and racing, you must play this game! The road racing gameplay is the core of the game here and will take a patient player (and maybe someone will real race car driving knowledge) to get right on the harder modes. I'm still giving the game a 10 because the gameplay really is that good. Expand
  32. Jul 14, 2013
    First of all racing games play better with a controller, so all of you idiots that complain about the controls on keyboard are stupid! Secondly, the future of gaming is not keyboard the keyboard was not designed for gaming it was for typing data into the computer. I get sick and tired of pc fan-boy idiots complaining about games that play better with an xbox controller. Grow up, you will see a lot more games that use an xbox controller, so get used to it. Expand
  33. Jul 21, 2014
    The NFS game i liked the most was Most Wanted (the one released in 2005). It was challenging, had great customization options, and even the story wasn't half-bad. It was developed by Black Box, the same developers who made this game. So i expected something similar to that title.

Unfortunately, it doesn't come close. It's not very challenging. The races are fairly easy and the cop
    chases aren't that difficult either (just roadblocks; no spikes or the other crazy stuff that was in Hot Pursuit). It has a very short single-player campaign (like 3 hours at most). It has absolutely no customization, and a very very weak story.

The only redeeming qualities of this game are the diversity in the environments, the very good graphics and great visuals, as well as the gameplay that happened outside the car. That was a nice touch, though nothing groundbreaking.

Also, a final thing that i liked in this game is the races when there would be a mountain collapsing, or stuff exploding, and you have to evade this stuff while trying to win the race. I know it was done before; but still, it added a certain degree of excitement to an otherwise stale racing experience.

Some people are bashing this game, because the driving doesn't feel real. While that's true, it didn't bother me. I know that this is arcade-style racing, so i didn't expect it to mimic reality. But i at least expected the game to be longer in duration, have some car customization in it, and more exciting cop chases. I was very disappointed that it has none of these.

I'll probably be ignoring Black Box from now on, and just stick with the good folks in Criterion Games.
  34. Mar 1, 2013
    It is average at best. The storyline is average, the cliches are average, the controls are... bad compared to a game like nfs hot pursuit. The game is very linear and if you can get past the average and overused concept then it can be moderately enjoyable with a bit of a lengthy story mode. The game suffers from terrible controls, lack of a lot of different cars, and as many people have said, very linear. I do not mind these things but its just not as good as other racing games. 4 out of 10 Expand
  35. May 7, 2014
    **** YOU, EA !!! **** YOU, ORIGIN !!! YOUR **** GAME CAN'T BE PLAYED !!! THE GAME CAN'T DETECT MY WIRELESS XBOX 360 CONTROLLER. I SUBMITTED AN ERROR REPORT TO YOU, BUT YOU DID NOT REPLY TO HELP ME OUT. EVEN WHEN I SET THE CONTROLS TO "KEYBOARD", THE BLOODY ON-SCREEN INSTRUCTIONS STILL INVOLVES THE PRESSING OF A CONTROLLER BUTTON. THERE'S NO WAY IN HELL I CAN PLAY YOUR LOUSY GAME !!! NEVER, EVER AM I GOING TO BUY ANOTHER GAME FROM ORIGIN !!! MY ORIGIN ACCOUNT WAS HACKED A WHILE BACK. TOOK ME 1 MONTH OF EMAILS TO YOU BEFORE I GOT IT BACK. TODAY, MY PASSWORD HAS BEEN COMPROMISED AGAIN !!! UNBELIEVABLE !!! I WILL ONLY BUY STEAM GAME FROM NOW ON. Expand
  36. Vic
    Dec 3, 2011
    I expected something different! In fact it seems they didn't add anything new!!! Same Undercover only different story! I thought the driving at least would be more realistic. It seems like you control a toy car!
  37. May 28, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. You get to travel across the US in about 2 hours. Pretty poor effort from EA here (as is becoming standard these days). Graphics are okay, but stuck at 2007 console level. Some good level designs, and some nice variety, but they're so frustratingly few and far between. There's also a distinct lack of innovation here. The only challenge is finishing the level. What would have been excellent is a dynamic game that pushes you to win - like a real race. For instance, there are multiple "Gain 8 places" levels, where you have to beat 8 other cars over a set distance/time. Would have have been better is a "Gain as many places as you can" and the better you do here means the more time/advantage you have in later levels (obviously with adjustments since you don't want the game to be impossible if you're not all that good). But alas, EA couldn't innovate themselves out of a wet paper bag. They've been pushing the Need for Speed franchise for years, and it's becoming stale. It's very, VERY short. Anyone who purchased this at full price got ripped off. A $15 game at best, it would have worked well as an add-on pack to a longer game. I've not even finished it yet, and already I'm wishing there was more races. As for the gameplay, it's very easy. Cars are unrealistic (which isn't bad - it's quite fun), but coupled with the extreme shortness, it's unsatisfactory. And yet the damn thing is a 15GB download! What the hell is taking up all that space? It's also ho-hum in terms of "achievements". I despise the feel-good, lack of ability, lack of innovation, modern "achievements". For instance, you get "unlocked" profile icons just for playing the game. What. The. Hell.? Where's the fun in that? How is that an "Achievement"? "Achievements" used to be something that you had to strive to complete, an actual challenge (and not everyone got them), rather than just freebies given away for playing the game as normal. Steam does it too. You get "Achievements" just for completing a level. That's insulting. Overall, 5 out of 10. What racing there is (and it's in short supply) is fine. There's just not enough of it, and the game is so linear and controlled that it's just not as much fun as it could have been. Expand
  38. Jul 9, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'm going to start off with a list of everything that's wrong with this game. Ready? 1) Framerate is capped at 30 FPS with no anti-aliasing. 2) The game crashes throughout the campaign, particularly at stage 8, and resets your controls layout in doing so. 3) Checkpoints are as inconveniently placed as possible. 4) Facial expressions are non-existent. 5) You barely get to use more than 5 cars throughout the campaign. 4) The so-called 3000 mile race only lasts 2 hours. 5) Cars are copied + pasted for each tier, with BHP, top speed and acceleration statistics being completely wrong. 6) Tiers are pointless- you only use Tier 4 cars up until stage 9. 7) You can't possibly do the cinematic sequences (NOT QTEs but the avoiding of gunfire & explosions and oncoming trains) first time. 8) The story sucks hard. 9) Autolog is pointless if you don't have any friends that play the game. 10) There are massive gaps and much unused potential. The game is unfinished in the campaign. 11) Quick-time events and cheezy "seen it a million times" sequences 12) Hot Pursuit was better. 13) EA Black Box went downhill after Most Wanted. 14) They're charging the same price as a full retail game! 15) Origin, and online pass if you're on console. 16) If you try and install from disc it always gets stuck with 8mb to go at 99% so you have to download the whole 15.8 GB. 17) 3rd person camera is terrible/takes time getting used to. 18) No interior view. OK I'm finished. Now, allow me to justify my rating of this game. First off, 30 FPS is by no means unplayable- especially for a racing game. The crashes which occur during stage 8 only happen once, so it will not crash again if you decide to go back and play it. Although the game is short, it's intended to be, because it plays like a film, so they want the player to play it one sitting just as they'd watch a film in one sitting. The quick time events are clichés but they make a nice break and vary the gameplay. More crucially, the story provides a backing and links between each stage/event, and is by no means intended to simulate a feature-length film. Remember, Hot Pursuit didn't even have a story. The concept is credible, but the execution is flawed in many aspects. There's a lot more that could have been done, granted, but I'd rather have a 2 hour campaign (which is longer btw if you account for restarting events) which is short and sharp rather than long and tedious. It would be easy to copy and paste 3000 miles of open road, but that would be boring. Instead, The Run offers some of the best driving roads, with the latest cars and above all, the best graphics ever for any racing game. Frosbite 2, 1920x1080 and Ultra settings. Now that's a combination. If I'm honest, graphics are almost entirely what I'm crediting this game for. The variety in environments- from sun, sand, snow, grass, countryside, desert - everything is there. As you progress through the story, the graphics get better and better. Admittedly all you do is a cycle of 3 event types (overtake, checkpoint and random cinematics) through different scenery, but the simplicity of the game means that if it were any longer it would be boring. There's quite a lot of variety in the tracks, with 56 events in a series of 10 stages. What's more, you can go and replay these to beat your best time or even better, take the competition online with no waiting time to play! You literally join instantly in a playlist (of which there are 5 online modes). The great thing about the online is that regardless of your rank/level, skill or experience, you can still enjoy the game because there are plenty of objectives and accolades which earn you XP, so winning isn't everything (unless you're top rank of course- by which time you really should be going for wins instead). There are plenty of emblems (titles and icons as in CoD or Street Fighter) and 9 pages of mottos which you may actually want to use. The Run is a combination of Hot Pursuit, Heavy Rain, Test Drive Overdrive and NFS Undercover. Speaking of which, Undercover was way more buggy and had worse graphics, with a terrible story and copy + pasted roads. The Run is much better than people think. I only paid £10 for it, and bare in mind that although the campaign may be short, there's still online and the challenge series. No Other game comes close to delivering the same kind of experience- that special moment where you're taking each hairpin with perfectionist precision, with a beautiful car and fast graphics. In Hot Pursuit, there may have been a better line-up of cars, and tiers had a point. You could play as cop and racer. But The Run feels somewhat less arcade. You get manual transmission and there are no gadgets to mess about with- just simply nitrous as with other NFS games. It's the simplicity, combined with the awesome environments and simple but satisfying handling mean that the game is appealing to virtually anyone. Expand
  39. Jun 20, 2012
    THis is second time i review the game, and i have to admit there unlike the first time - i got really frustrated with physics. gosh you can enjoy this game on easy, but if you put the difficulty on hard or extreme, you just get pissed with how unrealistic physics of the games are. the cops drive as if they have jetengines and their tires are sticked to glue.
    the Muscle care overtakes
    porsche, as if it was stationary and turns sharply without drifting.
    Seriously wt heck
  40. Dec 3, 2011
    I dont see why so many people are down on this game really... the mechanics are solid and im pretty sure that is what matters most in a driving game. I suppose being the middle aged heterosexual male that i am i would HAVE to like it more than TDU2, and i totally do.

I found it to be kind of an all american driving game, classic race across the country and take in all the great views
    kind of thing, real nice. Sure there are things i can nitt pick about, like the skin textures on the characters being over done, but its a console port and really im in it for the driving not to ogle character models! Also the scenery unfortunately kind of flies by too fast to really take it in, but its still quite clear that its great looking.

The quick time events i could totally have done without, but i will give it +1 point (not only to offset the morons that give games 0's) JUST for using a Ministry song in a QTE where you get to kick a cop in the face.. pure class.

I guess it comes down to what you are looking for in a driving game, i dont care for playing online because guess where you find the vast majority of cheaters.. also do not give a rats ass about linking to (or having) a face book account, playing dress-up, or what professional reviewers think of ANYTHING. I wanted an arcade type driving game with solid controls and it delivers. Not going to give it a 10 because there have been no games in the past year that deserve a 10.. NONE! But 8 for overall pleasure +1 for appropriate use of a Ministry song works, if anything i feel it should have cost a bit less but thats just mainstream video games in general.
  41. Nov 17, 2011
    2 things describe this game: Cheap thrill & Fast food. The Frostbite engine is completely wasted on this game; every racing game this days should have 2 settings: Arcade (like now) and simulation, YES EA? This kind of game is ok for the Xbox or PS - for the PC this game is pointless. This game could have been great, unfortunately the story is very weak, Fast & Furious clisees omnipresent and we have seen it all in Hot Pursuit not so long ago. To sum it up - quick, cheap thrill. Expand
  42. Nov 27, 2011
    In my opinion this one is the best from all of them. Need For Speed The Run can really keep your attention for long time. Some says that game needs only 2 hrs for complete - it's not true. While playing i felt like i was taking part in movie. Great feeling. Recommended title! Must buy!
  43. Apr 6, 2013
    Pros: Fun and well done for single player playing in the easiest mode... for the car driving and stuff.
    Cons: The reload time takes HOURS even in a gamer PC. In the extreme, the game is unplayable. Even if you do everything perfectly, the game will put a "ghost car" coming from nowhere to hit you.

In overall, I would suggest to NOT buy this game.
  44. Sep 6, 2013
    I have mixed feelings about NFS Run, im missing features of NFS Underground 1-2, Most Wanted 2005, Carbon and game is very short, scripted and linear, but whole game was breathtaking and i really enjoyed it! I loved cinematic experience, whole game felt like 3-5 hours interactive blockbuster movie about racing across whole USA, i felt like if i was in cinema but was not just watching movie, instead i was able to control character (man and his ride), and i understand that game became so scripted and linear and that whole set of gameplay features, including customization, was cut to fit this cinematic experience to make game feel as seamless movie, for same reason QTE was added (i usually hate QTE in action games, but in movie-like games like this one, i really like interactive cut-scenes with QTE) and thats why i dont really complain about it, because it worked good. However it could be done a little better, game have some flaws and stupid moments even as cinematic expirience, for example the way you change cars is quite unrealistic and stupid, i would prefer to see character to call his friend and ask to drive car at some place or even 100% scripted change of cars in cut-scenes would work better for this game, also the way cops try to barricade road felt stupid, but thats small bits of game, the core of game DRIVING and RACING, done pretty well! Every race is quite challenging, even despite you have 5 checkpoints per level that simplifies game, cops trying to push you out of road, rivals can use shortcuts better than you, arcade physics and controls probably best in series after NFS SHIFT, tracks have really hard sharp turns, there a few racing modes (race, catch-up series, time trial, boss fights, loose cops from tail, and something else), and they are all really enjoyable, they give what i last saw in NFS Carbon (and that missing in other latest NFS games such as Most Wanted 2012 and Hot Pursuit 2010, Shift 1-2) A REAL TENSION! To win the race you should drive pretty well, you need to think and you need to think fast, otherwise you crash and restart checkpoint. Game would not give you a chance to relax, i would not bore you for a second (for example NFS HP 2010 and NFS MW 2012 just a pure boredom), you will finish playing it in the same breath, and whole play time, like i said before quite a breathtaking.
    So, yes, game not perfect, have not much gameplay to offer, but what it exchange everything for quite a solid coin it has to offer and its breathtaking cinematic experience. Stop treating this game like a realistic simulator, you have NFS Shift for this, treat it like an interactive movie and you will understand how enjoyable it is.
    Also this game have good gameplay value, you can replay it many times and enjoy. But there is one thing i really hate about this game LIMITED EDITION PRE-CUT DLC, i really hate the fact that some cars that present in game cant be selected and and tells you that you need limited edition of game, and that you cant upgrade you signature edition to limited without purchasing full game again, this is unfair EA business!
    But overall experience is solid good, not perfect, just good! So my score is 7 of 10!
  45. Aug 29, 2012
    This isn't your typical NFS game and has more in common with games like Outrun than anything else. Cruising through the US was a great concept but unfortunately you
  46. May 28, 2012
    I'm glad I bought this game. In some ways it's the best racing game I've come across in a very long time. The story line is bare boned but original and good. The graphics are INCREDIBLE! Driving through the desert in a sandstorm was an experience just because of the scenery. Unfortunately the lack of AA does show when you're looking at your car. You CAN choose between body kits and colors on your cars as your level increases but, so far, I've seen no engine mods (probably because every one of these cars runs like a scalded dog from the word go). The difficulty of the game is pretty much as expected from any race title. Playing on hard difficulty, I find a challenge in every third or fourth stage. I haven't unlocked Extreme difficulty yet so I can't comment on it. The major weakness in this game is the car's handling. The Run would be well suited as an arcade cabinet and that's the only reason I can't give it a 9 or 10 rating. In the end though, it's fun and looks awesome. Expand
  47. Mar 29, 2012
    Yaar yeh Jab Nfs The Run Kholta huun Yeh Side Me flickering sa hone lag jaata hai aur game stable
    rehti hai...
    Yeh agar inn behend ke loodo ko game nahi chalvani toh madharchodho ne game Torrent me kya apni maa chudvane ke liye daali hai .....
    Agar kisi Nek Insaan ke paas is problem ka solution hai toh Plz Mujhe reply kare....?
  48. Apr 9, 2012
    Great game. Very spectacular and exhilarating. Great music (Black Keys, Canned Heat ;) . Maybe short but you can replay the whole in a more difficult setting. I really like it. QTE and story basically boring (and cannot skip) but the racing is really nice.
  49. Jul 2, 2012
    Terrible port, Not very realistic, VERY Short. Action scenes are boring and are about 30 minutes of the already depressingly short 2 hour story line, No car customisation, Game sounds are dull, Very little Wheel support, RWD cars seem to go crazy out of control if you use the handbrake. Last but not least, voices are out of sync and There is too much controller lag(Games responses are slow). The NFS series needs to go back to the Free roam customisation games that made them popular, Hopefully Criterion make Most Wanted 2 the sequel racing fans have been waiting for!

Not to mention, the game crashes every 10 minutes for me! Waste of £35!
  50. Jul 20, 2012
    Pros: really good graphics, awesome music, car sounds and sound effects are good.

Cons: really bad car controlling (maybe the BMWs, some Nissans and some Porsches are somehow controlable), boring story, irritating mafia, racers and police and mafia are cheating (how can the police and the mafia running as fast as a BMW M3 or a Porsche 911), short single player campaign (2 hours long),
    30 fps cap, no AA, sometimes crashes

The worst NFS of all time, worse than Underground (all two made by BlackBox).
  51. Jul 17, 2012
    It's the worst game of the Need For Speed franchise. Totally disappointing story and game-play. Graphics quality isn't that good either! They only focused on the cinematic scenes not in the game. Total disappointment to me!
  52. Mar 2, 2014
    The surroundings and the effects of nature playing a role is pretty nice (also I think I fell in love with the girl at the beginning - but don´t tell my mom!). What makes this title mediocre is the rubber band AI and the feeling that you aren´t really connected with the street but rather hover over it. This game on normal mode is way way longer than 2 hours. People who pretend that they made it in about 2 hours are just bragging with fiction. For an average Gamer like me (and I play the nfs series since the 1998 nfs hot pursuit came out) this takes for 2 hours only to finish the first stage. Maybe because I encountered a terrible sand-glitch near to the beginning ... basically the car begins to jump backwards and all you can see for seconds is a sandy-colored screen...then for a short period of time you see some cars...and so on. They also could´ve left out the scripted action-elements where you just klick a key several times and that´s it - you don´t even need to do it hastily...plenty of time...even if you´re about to get crushed in your car (as in the very first scene of the game). Of course I could overlook all these errors if the AI wouldn´t be rubber-bandy... And: don´t even try it without having a cntroller. Expand
  53. Oct 30, 2012
    After spending my afternoon playing need for speed the run, I realised how much i missed the older nfs games. This game strives to be what made nfs games so special, and it only delivers slightly. This is an obvious console port, having no difference despite changing the display settings. But it is filled with thrills which are rare in car games,as well as a wide variety of vehicles. The story is disappointing as it makes no sense though. Not the best nfs out there but still deserving of a pass. Expand
  54. Dec 9, 2012
    Just completed this. Definitely the best NFS game in a long time. Although criticised for the short singleplayer campaign, the story sets it apart from the previous games, making it feel more like it has a set goal, rather than a random set of races! I loved the fact that as you progress through the field you see a wide variety of cars - "ooh, thats a nice Supra", "is that really a MK1 Golf?".....Graphics and sound are great, runs perfectly when it works, but there are issues. Firstly, I couldn't get my Xbox 360 controller to work. I had to use a usb controller and Joytokey combination and although this worked, it wasn't flawless as in the QTE scenes it still displays Xbox controller buttons, which don't correspond to keyboard controls. However, I found that just mashing every button on my controller worked anyway!

Secondly, it feels like no effort was taken to improve the 'port'. Visuals are quite poor in some ingame movies and sequences. However, I feel that a lot of the criticism is from people expecting too much from this game. Some people complaining that it isn't realistic enough..... Hello!... This is a Need For Speed game. If you want realism, buy Shift or GTR! Also, the story may be short, but the challenges and multiplayer make it last indefinitely.

All in all, it's a fun game albeit with annoying flaws.
  55. Jan 26, 2013
    The game is fine, graphics are awesome, but you cant change them while playing, the idea is really good and there are several awesome races, but the lack of free roam ends up becoming boring.
  56. Apr 17, 2013
    Good racing, good visuals. i don't know why they keep insisting on plots. just make a racing game. nobody have to betray nobody. still better than the games by criterion because of the driving.
  57. Nov 1, 2013
    Need for speed is like the call of duty of racing a new one each year you can look forward to. This time around we have the Run. is it a cross country epic or does it burn out in the first lap lets find out.

Story wise there's not much here you play a driver of a fast car and you are trying to win a cross country race without being disqualified by the mob standard story fair with no
    real twists or turns.

What dose have twists and turns is the game play which is tight as ever you play across several maps mostly in a car but sometimes you have to get out of the car (Gasp), but only in an amusing QTE sequence every once in a while which are action packed and exciting and the tight game play is prevalent over to all modes.

Graphically the game is great. a little more time on the human models would be good, but the cars look fantastic as do environments as you race across America to survive.
  58. Sep 9, 2013
    Great game in all sense. The latest creation of the legendary Studio. I hope that the guys will make their separate project. Such a variety of weather and various trails never seen. And the story and race point much better than arrivals in a circle.
  59. Oct 21, 2013
    This game is incredible. I play for 8 hours a day and cannot get enough. The most addicting game I own and ever played. Will always play no matter what
  60. Oct 22, 2013
    This is one bad ass game I love playing it online and off it is the best one I played so far and I would be lost if you took it away and that would be sad so please don't do that I ask of you
  61. Dec 10, 2013
    terrible.

need for speed hot pursuit and the run have this disgusting feature in common:

you don't have fun while racing because there is no racing. there is just a sick script that kills all your experience and make you feel like you are straining in a maze that some inadequate loser built.

this game is beyond horrible. pretentious, horrid, bloated, a complete failure.
  62. Dec 13, 2013
    This game only looks good, everything else is dumb. The AI, physics, logic, UI and story. But wait, there is more. Once you join online, you're greeted with a slew of cheaters, exploiters and foul mouthed drivers. Mute you say? You would think so, right? To mute you must do it during the race. GENIUS! give that developer another contract!
  63. Jan 11, 2014
    Well, this game is not exactly as bad as I thought then I played this game for the second time.

To start with something new, the gameplay is actually fun somehow. Not counting other aspects like going off the road or whatever, it's not really dull. Moreover, the graphics are fine for me. However, that's all what I can say about the good things.

I guess everyone agreed the main
    problem in the game is the physics. It's too ... awkward (you'll definitely know if you play the game). Muscle cars have boat turnings while some of the exotic cars are drif... well, slidy. It's so hardcore to drive some of the cars probably.

There are also some bad things about the game, like the "story". You can just treat it as a background information of what the main character Jack is doing. Besides, if you watch the locations closely, you'll find some places in different stages really familiar (if you know what I mean). Another point is that the game is kinda fast food that you simply have no intention to play the second time when you have completed the game. The cars are so ridiculous and repetitive that you can see some cars in tier 1 actually appears in the higher tiers. Moreover, you can literally change your controls but practically it will reset every time you shut down the game. Why?

Overall, it's not exactly really boring but it's not definitely good.
  64. Apr 2, 2014
    First of all it worked perfectly for me....I am a racer and I loved the manual shifting mode better than in any game so I was able to take turns with gear downgrade not just pressing the lame space break and then nitro i hate...the game is really short i hoped at the end that something else will happen but...anyway it was better than most of racing games
  65. Jun 30, 2014
    worst game in the franchise
    -30 fps wtf?
    -slow pace game play
    -unskippable cut scenes
    -the player just has to do as the game says. its as if im watching a fu**ing movie
    -the game itself is bullshi*..
    DONT EVEN DOWNLOAD A PIRATED VERSION WASTE.

Innovation at all cost doomed NFS The Run – for every good idea comes a terrible one, and even the best ones are buried by technical issues. [Christmas 2011]
  2. Dec 27, 2011
    Tiresome racer that only takes two hours to complete, yet somehow feels longer. That's both impressive and depressing.
  3. Dec 24, 2011
    Shows how you can bury even the most original idea with lack of either bravery or fantasy. [January 2012, p.69]