• Publisher: Atari
  • Release Date: Oct 31, 2006
6.2

1. Mar 28, 2011
    This game has some good features but gets a low score because it is full of game breaking bugs. The pros: It looks ok, even given its age, and you have a very deep combat and character development system that gives you lots of variety in the kind of character you can be. The cons: Where to start? The clunky control system; three camera modes, none of which work properly; lacklustre campaign; really ugly faces for your character; UI is just a total mess, popups all over the place; and it's very possible to ruin your character build from the beginning because you chose the wrong abilities......
    But even after all that I would have forgiven it, were it not for the fact that it is just a broken game. It's full of bugs even with all the latest patches, and I mean game ruining bugs like campaign events not triggering. It's totally unreasonable for Bioware to still be selling a game for a not insignificant price (I paid £15 for the platinum edition) which just falls over at random. And then there are the crashes... So really, there are other RPGs out there, and if you want a game that you will actually be able to play then buy something else. But if you are a gambler by nature, then why not try this game. You *might* have fun. But then again you might lose your money and have nothing to show for it.
  2. May 13, 2011
    NWN2 is to Baldur's Gate what NWN1 is to Icewind Dale. That is to say, where NWN1/ID focus primarily on combat, NWN2/BG give equal time to roleplaying.
    In NWN1 there really was only one substantial roleplaying quest (the trial in chapter 3), companions had no personality ("please help me find some item, and I'll give you a bonus", repeat...), quests didn't go beyond "fetch X" and "kill Y",
    and the world just didn't feel like a place were people actually lived.
    In contract, in NWN2 NPCs once again have memorable personalities, quests are diverse, the world is atmospheric, you get to invest in it by building up a base of operations, etc.
    I do have to say that I played this game when most bugs had been patched, and by then its only major weakness was that it required a very heavy pc while not looking particularly great.
    Now, 5 years later, I still consider NWN2 to be one of the better RPGs ever made. It's right up there with games like BG, KotOR, and Morrowind. (And the first expansion, Mask of the Betrayer comes close to Planescape: Torment.) Heartily recommended!
  3. Jun 17, 2011
    As close as a RPG can get! Combat can be a little sluggish at times but with patches, that problem clears up. Sadly, developers are making games now where its more hack n slash with a little story.
  4. Nov 28, 2010
    Overall, I do not like this game. The graphics feel clunky, especially the melee combat which is unsatisfying and unrealistic looking. To compare, take a game like Icewind Dale (which is a 2D game, but has similar rule sets, many of the same spells, etc). In Icewind Dale, if two opposing warriors attacked each other you either saw the attack animation fail with maybe an appropriate sound (but no specific graphics to differentiate between a block, parry, or dodge) or a successful hit. In a 2D game it is forgivable because you have to use your imagination to an extent. Spell casts in that game were truly magnificent to behold and even the sound of the casting seemed otherworldly. In NWN2 I could not discern any specific graphic for blocking, parrying, dodging, etc. which is unforgivable for a 3D game. A successful attack results in the flinch animation, but other than that I did not notice any other surprises in melee combat, even with different weapons. Combat is therefor dull and boring. I also noted the level of gore and blood. There is none in this game. Icewind Dale 2 had it's fair amount of gore (even exploding bodies), with dead enemies lying in pools of their own blood. NWN2 unfortunately has none of that. Death essentially involves an avatar falling down to the floor unconscious. The bodies quickly disappear after a certain amount of time has passed, but I would have liked the option of seeing them remain. Dropped loot is not accessed by clicking on the dead bodies, instead little bags spawn beside the bodies, which you are forced to click on, as small as they are (why NVN2 degenerated to that style of loot system is beyond me). The spell-casting also looks completely wrong. Some spells fly at strait angles to targets. Take for example acid splash, which looks like a beam of green light emitting from the caster's hand to the target... it just looks so cheap... like the devs took a shortcut in the graphics department. It doesn't look like acid and it's not very satisfying to behold. The sound that the casters make when casting is ridiculous and almost comical, it's like something you might hear out of an poorly translated Japanese anime. Even if you choose your characters voice at the beginning of the game, every spellcaster makes the same sound in exactly the most horrid tone. I find it hard to enjoy any spellcasting class what-so-ever.

A lot of the dialogue in the game is spoken audio, which I think is unfortunate. The audio is too short and precise to give any feel to the game. All spoken audio seems plot driven. The written dialogue is not very clever and I can't help but feel that the game was presented in such a way that young teenagers would "get it". The game is rated T, so go figure. Any brass humor that you may have seen in similar themed 2D RPG's do not exist here. The rating for the game obviously held it back in many regards. The plot and dialogue completely disinterest me as a result.

I was expecting a lot more for an RPG. The graphics totally suck for the requirements and nothing filled me with awe like I have seen in many a 2D RGP such as Baldur's Gate, IceWind Dale, etc. Those games impressed me; this one made me glad that I never bought it full price.
  5. Feb 15, 2011
    This game was really enjoyable, I played through it twice at least back in the day. Don´t know why it has such a bad score. The storyline was enjoyable, the classes were fun and leveling up your characters was fun. I don't remember having any issue with bugs in it either, except one with the cut scenes but they fixed that.
  6. Mar 8, 2011
    Man! I am total surprised at the low score this is getting. You have to give it marks for just providing an editor (the tool set). The ability to create a multi-player mod give this game 9 right off. Yes! The campaign provided is crap..agreed. However, this game is about communality content. Like me, if you are a wanna-bee game designer you have no other options out there to create multi-player worlds.. So from a game designers perspective this game is a must have. I have hundreds of hours spent building my modal and I find it very rewarding. . Coming from a game designers perspective the NWN2 tool set id leaps beyond the nwn tool set. Yes. the nwn2 tool set requires an advanced builder..so maybe cut your teeth first with the first tool set. Expand
  7. Jun 5, 2011
    While the this game is not without its flaws, few of the negative reviews have taken into account one of its strongest points: mods. Multiplayer, especially when played on the dedicated servers put up by the more prominent mod teams, is an entertaining alternative to games such as World of Warcraft. The animations may appear lackluster in comparison with more recent titles, but the multiplayer is free, and I for one am more than willing to ignore occasional bugs (which are far less common than other reviews would have you believe) in favor of a multiplayer system devoid of monthly fees.

The player community on these servers is also far more engaged than that of big-ticket MMO's: roleplay is encouraged, granting an element of versatility to the game and enhancing replay value significantly. This offer a sharp contrast to the pettiness I encountered during my brief stint playing WoW; players are willing to flesh out their backgrounds significantly and remain true to their characters even when doing so negatively affects gameplay. While this may not appeal to all, it enhances that the suspension of disbelief essential to many enjoyable video games. Single player offers a somewhat different position; the original campaign is slow at first (the first few levels feel almost like another tutorial), but it soon becomes more interesting. While I found playing a truly evil character difficult (the game seemed to be forcing me to conform to a particular brand of evil: those who have reach the end of the game as evil characters know what I mean), neutral or good characters offer a wealth of interesting gameplay with enough material for roughly two interesting playthroughs. My only true complaint with regard to the single player campaign is the often stilted dialogue of minor NPC's. In many cases, they restate their commentary two or even three times before finally relinquishing their unwelcome hold over your computer screen. The issue of poor voice acting is less prevalent in the first expansion, Mask of the Betrayer, but it resurfaces with a vengeance in Storm of Zehir. Beside better dialogue, MOTB continues in much the same vein, with the occasional moral dilemma to make the story more engaging. In conclusion, aside from bugs and somewhat disappointing voice acting, this game is one well worth purchasing, with significant replay value, enjoyable roleplay-based multiplayer and a comparatively low price of $20 on Steam. I would strongly recommend it for any who enjoy fantasy RPG's and would like a multiplayer service to occupy a few hours on dreary evenings without the prohibitive monthly fees.
  8. Jun 24, 2011
    Classic Forgotten Realms adventure. In fact it's positively cliche, but don't let that put you off: this is one excellently realised linear D&D romp, with extremely entertaining NPCs (NWN2 doesn't take itself too seriously). The single "romance" plot (I won't spoil it) is just the ticket if you're fed up with BG2's melodrama. It's too easy (there's only one properly tricky encounter, the optional dragon battle), but I had ages of fun with this. Why so many detractors? Expand
  9. Oct 14, 2013
    I bought this game recently as I was in the mood for an RPG. The main game at least just isn't very good. The story is extremely linear, and in my view not designed very well, as you spend 15 hours doing quests one after another before you get much of an idea about what is happening in the plot. I also feel that combat isn't well designed, playing on hard I can win 90% of battles by clicking once and getting up off my computer. It's made worse by the fact there is a ton of combat, none of it very interesting as you seemingly face the exact same enemies again and again. Expand
  10. Dec 27, 2010
    An excellent RPG with great expansions. The addition of the Auto down loader makes visiting PWs a snap.
    The graphics are better than NWN1 and the mod community is strong and helpful.
  11. Oct 8, 2011
    Neverwinter Nights 2 is actually superior than the first neverwinter nights in game design. It has a functional party system, some good companion characters, an interesting story line and lots of choices and consequences. However, this game's user interface is just terrible. there are three modes for camera angles which may drive people crazy because you have to press a button to change it not like in first neverwinter nights, just need to scroll up/down the middle mouse button. Also this game still has performance issue even with current patch. All I have to say, this game has potential but is not nearly as well-done as the original Neverwinter Nights. so I give it 7 out of 10. Expand
  12. Mar 15, 2011
    Anybody here a fan of AD&D? This game will not disapoint. It's wonderful, full of pretty memorable lines, decent characters, and 8/10 voice acting (Ran out of adjectives). While not as in-depth combat-wise as any D&D Tabletop game, it's definitely got that 'Mountain Dew and Doritos' feel to it. Never checked out online play, and only have over 30-50 hours in the game total, but I'm sure nothing is ruined.
    Plus, toolset's out!
  13. Aug 9, 2011
    There are hardly words for me to describe what a horrible letdown this game was. I was expecting a follow-up to the original, what I got was garbage. Even if you happened to find this game in the bargain bin for $5 bucks it still wouldn't be worth it
  14. Aug 19, 2011
    looking at all the other reviews, i have to agree the game cold be buggy. but not any more than many other rpgs, and it is fairly stable when patched. balance is fairly bad for PvP, but that's not really what this game is about. i am quite amused at people complaining about the AI, as i found it good in the original campaign and it just got better in the later campaigns (after spending a few minutes setting it up in the AI menu, which is admittedly fairly easy to miss). importantly, every mechanic is there in the spell/ability description, and all the numbers too, unlike that annoying trend recently. Expand
  15. Nov 2, 2011
    Very good story. Good graphics. Not well optimized performance-wise (graphics quality to machine-requirement ratio). Good moddability but more coding needed. The mods weren't as big as in NWN though. Agreements could be the cause of this, and maybe additional complexity in the toolset. The expansions weren't of the snuff but the single player experience with the base NWN2 was very good.
  16. Dec 21, 2011
    This was the first game that actually pull me into the D&D lore, the game is good and the story is kinda epic, the Tools to create maps are really really hard to use and are not intuitive.
  17. Jun 15, 2012
    Considering how much of a blow Neverwinter Nights was to me, it's suprising I did try this one at all - and I didn't regret it! This a lot of fun, the graphics are actually pretty good (no more wireframes like in NWN1!), and - the story! The characters! Time to roleplay. Loot, skills, feats, everything D&D was meant to be! Ah yes, and even the multiplayer works and is a whole lot of fun.
  18. Aug 9, 2013
    With NWN 2 Obsidian tweaked the UI, the camera, party size, and toolsets of NWN to "improve the experience". Whether they succeeded is open to debate. The game starts very slow and it takes a long time for the plot to lead anywhere. By this time many would have quit already and maybe added a bad review. I suggest that if you like RPG games be patient with the slow start. This game gets better as your party levels and the storylines start to come together. The whole NWN2 experience can be bought on sale in Steam for a song and includes a LOT of (bug free) RPG gaming. Despite its imperfections this game is great in the end and a must buy for RPG fans. Expand
  19. Jul 8, 2013
    If Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of The Betrayer gets a 10, the OC gets a 0. It really deserves a -5 since many skipped the great expansions because of it.
  20. Sep 29, 2010
    Obsidian doing what it does best, sloppy seconds. And people wonder why I'm not getting fallout new Vegas. The thing that made the original nwn amazing was the Multiplayer, and they completely killed it.
  21. Jan 15, 2011
    NW1 expansions were awesome, and nw1 overall a very good, rpg. This is buggy crap, RUBBISH game, don't buy! More people will be getting sucked in to buying this rubbish on cheap STEAM deals, don't bother its not even worth $5 with the expansions!
  22. Jan 2, 2011
    I am an avid fan of the Neverwinter Nights game. I thought the first one was awesome, engrossing, and addictive. The second one? I am truly mixed on this, and dissapointed.
    Where to start? Well, if i don't truly have a high end computer, but it still runs it, albeit the choppy frame rate. I had to tweak down almost everything on my system settings just to get it to run not as choppy.
    And to be completely honest, it got to the point that i just stopped playing the game because the graphics just didn't look all that well. i am sure if you have a high end baby, that thing would look stunning but not so much on mine.
    The A.I as previously stated, does have flaws in it, ie; getting stuck on objects, not following combat parameters, and the like. The key reason i stopped playing it, was because of the camera angles. Going into a dungeon, i found it hard to keep track of my party and where they were, and on more then several occasions, i had to switch the view around for almost a minute just to see the loot on the floor that i could pick up. One of my friends, a diehard NWN fan, insisted they were coming out with a patch to fix all the camera foul ups, but i when i installed the game for a second time, i did not see any patch and the camera angles were still terrible.
    Sound gets a bit tedious, because if you have played the first one, its the same sounds. You figured after x amount of years since the game has been out they could have updated. The soundtrack i liked :) but then again i like weird tunes. CONCLUSION: If you have a high end pc, and its in the bargain bin? Give it a shot. Maybe a better pc would resolve some of the camera issues. But i would still say wait until this baby has some patches which fix the camera
  23. Feb 20, 2011
    It looked great and had a lot of potential, but we don't rate games on "potential," do we? To start, I spent an exhausting amount of time installing patches before I could even play, and even then it's so overridden with bugs that it makes the entire experience feel backwards and cumbersome. It crashes constantly, gameplay is slow and unresponsive, the UI is not intuitive at all, party AI is a joke, and the story is lame.

One bug rendered the game completely unplayable, so I couldn't even make it to the end (my party stopped following the main character, so I had to select each of them one by one to get them to move).

I understand, a lot of love and attention went into this game from countless game developers, so I feel bad giving a game such a bad review, but the fact is that I paid good money for a game that is so bug-ridden that I couldn't finish it. I wish I could ask for my money back.
  24. Mar 11, 2011
    Rubbish in comparison to NWN. I'm very disappointed that Bioware gave up the rights to this game, and Obsidian did a poor job of the sequel.
    Multiplayer is also pretty bad. Both single- and multiplayer are buggy as hell and got quite boring quite quickly.
  25. Mar 21, 2011
    I'm not one to usually be rude, but everyone who thinks this game was made by BioWare is an idiot. This game was Developed by Obsidian Entertainment (one of the worst developers to ever be conceived), and Published by Atari (just in case people assume that the Publisher created the game). Of course this game is terrible! It's made by Obsidian Entertainment which is infamous for developing sequels in RPG series going to slow and releasing them with half content and don't bother patching any of the bugs. When they try to create their own games (i.e. Alpha Protocol) It still sucks, they released that game too with half content and many bugs. Also they can never create an original game even if it's a sequel in a series they should add their own touch, but no they don't. The worst part is they fail at playing safe too. Obsidian Entertainment is an abomination that should be purged from existence! Expand
  26. Mar 28, 2011
    The voice acting in this game is terrific and when you get far into the campaign there are some scripted scenes between your NPCs that are amusing. That's the good news. /all of it/. The bad news has been repeated here many times before. Many bugs, even at this late date, a horrible camera that has to be seen to be believed, perhaps the worst AI ever invented, the list goes on an on. It's tragic because there is a good story behind it all. But the execution is painful to behold. This game is an excellent reminder that what seems 'cool' to game designers isn't always fun to play. They would have been better off doing less but doing it better rather than trying to cram every cool feature from the D&D rulebook and creating a god awful mess. A serious disappointment, even only paying $10. Expand
  27. May 8, 2011
    I'm giving this a 0 because it quite frankly deserves it. Its just so incredibly poorly made, making an attempt at a in-depth rpg is no excuse for Extremely clunkly interface camera and responsiveness.
  28. Mar 3, 2012
    I only started playing this game recently and it hasn't aged well. I wasn't expecting another Dragons Age or Elder Scrolls but in terms of graphics, game play, plot and character development I was a little disappointed. Don't get me wrong, the storyline is well written and the ability to create and edit within the game is excellent but there are more modern games which have surpassed this one.
  29. Jul 20, 2011
    Best thing about the game: Character creation
    Half assed: very linear campaign with no real motivation for evil characters. Good guy focus
    Horribly bad: Toolset. Its the one most important thing in NWN and it sucks. Sure its complex but its just not fun to use in any way. No wizards. They did not even try to make it user friendly.
  30. Sep 18, 2011
    Well there went 20 dollars. The game is alright. The story is dull, but I"m only 6 hours in. I"m so bored with listening to my compatriots **** at each other...Probably should have been evil and just told them to shut the hell up more often. Anyways. The missions keep bugging. What was a mediocre game with dull combat and a cliche story now feels like a beta from the 90's. I completed the quests but it glitched out and doesn't know it. It doesn't keep more than one auto-save and leaving and coming back doesn't fix it, so I just have to start back from the last time I saved. But the combat is so easy you never die, so why save every 10 minutes? It's BS. Camera is crap. The sounds are dull. In the the previous iteration when you paried your swords would match and send off a spark. Fighting was faster paced and the pop up directional tool tip menu was awesome> I had a lot of fun disarming, knocking down, then triple jump kicking poeple as a monk. Somehow this game ended up a lot worse in terms of interface and playability. That's where all the points go. No point having all that content if I can't even play it. Expand
  31. May 2, 2012
    After playing NWN1 for years and loving every minute, I really wanted to like NWN2. The game is true to the rules of DnD so that portion of the games is the saving grace. Where NWN2 fails and fails hard is in the terrible camera controls.
  32. Jun 25, 2013
    Even after 5+ years since its release this game still has so many bugs and glitches it takes away from the overall experience. In my first playthrough I encountered 2 game breaking bugs (one where I had to load from an old save to progress, another where I had to use the console to spawn a particular npc); as well as dozens of small glitches, AI glitches, graphical glitches, quest glitches. The story and characters are decent enough but this game was clearly not put through enough QA and is essentially a beta build.

As to gameplay, there are some fundamental flaws with the D&D engine that take away from the fun, for example the massive length of time it takes to buff your characters and the needlessly complex character statistics and crafting system. Yes, the game can be really fun but you have to really work for it. For every awesome battle or story arc there is just as much time spent micromanaging inventory and sitting there waiting for buffs to cast.

As far as plot goes, some of the characters and store were really well done, but the writing is VERY inconsistent and more than one occasion some of the characters said something that literally made me cringe. At one point a character makes a fart joke and then EXPLAINS the fart joke (apparently the devs thought it was too subtle) and then is lauded by two of the other characters for her wit; also while we're on the subject of writing, can with stop using the phrase "could care less", it's supposed to be "couldn't care less", this was used at least 3 times in the campaign.

There is the core of a great game here somewhere, and if you have the patience and don't mind using the console occasionally then it's worth putting some time into, but there are MUCH better games you should look at first. If you haven't played the first NWN or Dragonage then you're better off checking those games out first.
  33. Dec 11, 2011
    I played about 30 minutes into the game had an encounter and saved when it was over. I the event to trigger the next part of the game wouldn't trigger so I had to delete that file. After playing the game for about 30 hours the same thing happened so I deleted the game off my computer. The bugs in the game ruined it for me.
  34. Jul 22, 2012
    This game is hard to like when you play only the (tutorial) inicial part. The story does not start as good as Baldurs Gate series, so, dont rely on this to continue the game. The game becomes very good after the inicial part and once you get used to turn based in real time that easy to see it greatness. Its 7.5/10 for me, But the 10/10 was given due to low score given by many without full gameplay. I recommend to buy it on STEAM. Expand
  35. Mar 7, 2012
    I'm writing this review in 2012, so this review is more of a retrospective than a new product review. For that reason, I'll keep it short & down to a few key points. To put it simply, NWN2 is both a huge success & a dreadful failure all the same time. That may sound a bit strange, but in order to appreciate this game, you really have to appreciate what the developers were trying to accomplish. They were trying to 1) create a true D&D simulation, that captured the table-top RPG experience, and 2) allowed players to appreciate the game alone or in groups; that had 3) a structure both complex enough to contain the diversity of rules for D&D; and 4) was still simple enough in design for players to write their own modules and create their own content at home. If you look at that list, then they succeeded beautifully in that regard.

Where the game falls down is where the rubber hits the road, so to speak. On paper this game looks great, but when you actually try to play it is where you find all the shortcomings. The character models are ugly. All the models for clothing & armor are likewise uninspired, dully, and ugly. The controls for the game are clunky, poorly considered, and often create a situation where there is literally no good way to both control your character properly & see what's going on. Many times you feel like your characters are playing inside a very tiny dollhouse, and you can't quite see what they're doing. Added to that are the glitches & errors that pop. Some of which are simply annoying, while others will cause a total failure of the game & force you to reroll & restart. All I can advise you there is to save often, so you can back up if you have a crash or a memory file gets corrupted. Inventory management is a real chore. Crafting is needlessly involved & slow.

So when you judge this game as a D&D simulator it's fantastic. When you judge it as a video game, against such series as Dragon Age or The Elder Scrolls, you find that it falls short of the mark. If you're a hardcore D&D player, and can't get your group together enough to satisfy your needs, then this is just the thing for you. If you just want a video game to bash swords into bad guys for a few hours, then you should turn your attention to other, greener pastures.
  36. Mar 11, 2012
    Graphics are good, but animations completely sucks, the story is a little interesting, but the game is full of bugs, the worst control system ever, worst camera modes ever, and really killed the NeverWinter Nights franchise, the first one was so epic and awesome, specially multiplayer, now this one is completely disappointing.
  37. Mar 28, 2012
    This is a pretty good game, if not quite as good as its predecessor, but it really was too buggy for me to give it a really high score. Finishing the game was as difficult in terms of simply getting it to run and finding workarounds for all the bugs as in terms of actual gameplay. I did it -- but it's clearly not for everyone.
  38. May 26, 2013
    Nwn 2 is best described as something like a really good looking piece of dessert that smells great and looks great, but when you take a bite, actually tastes rather bland. Nwn2 is one of those games that has so much potential but comes up short in nearly all areas, and is a real shame.

Clearly, the developers did not finish this game. Even with all final patches installed, there are
    still obvious bugs to be found in the OC. The gameplay is decent, but its ruined by how choppy it gets. As other people noted, the difficulty varies wildly throughout the game, sometimes you will have cakewalk battles, and then enter another area and things become very difficult. The "rest" feature is terrible, as you will be resting/fighting/resting. Early in the game this isnt so bad, but it gets very annoying later on in the game, as every time you rest you have to rebuff. Rebuffing takes lots of time and gets very, very annoying. NWN2 certainly has a great selection of character classes and prestige classes for you to get your fingers on.

The plot starts extremely slowly, and only picks up until you hit Act 2. Yes, its sort of cliche, but its not that bad. My biggest complaint with the story is that, once again, you feel as if the game hasnt really "started" yet until you are almost done with the first act. I think part of the reasons why, is because of the poor character development. Compared to other Bioware games, your companions are not nearly as deep as others in more modern games (or perhaps I've just been spoiled?) Character dialogue is short, sometimes funny, but short nonetheless. Romance is meager, and only picks up into Act 2 or even Act 3.

Graphics are pretty good for a 2006 game. Its such a shame that the editor just insists on you having the absolute ugliest character you could ever make.

The problem with NWN2 is that its an almost great game. Sometimes, you feel as if you are indeed playing a classic cRPG, but then you are painfully reminded that NWN2 has some serious flaws. The choppy gameplay of the "rest" feature, and the sometimes-fun battles, makes me want to bang my head against the wall. Its a game that has a great swing, but doesnt follow through. I really wanted to like this game, as it definitely has the RPG charm to it, but its plagued by bad design decisions and rushed development.

NWN2 does have a fantastic toolset for others to make their own campaigns.

39. Oct 28, 2012
    I got about 2/3 of the way through before I ran into a bug that forced me to quit. Most of the bugs aren't too bad, but eventually you get to one that kills the game. But the real problem is the stunningly bad characterization and voice acting. I got so very tired of Khelgar, Neeshka, Qara, Grobnar, and the others that I stopped caring about the plot or the deep choices available to me.
  40. Jun 22, 2013
    While NWN1 was the true classic, NWN2 did very well. One big downfall was the lack of native Linux support like NWN1 had. This immediately lost half the NWN user base, as most NWN servers ran the Linux version. These were the decent ones too the proper gamers. Obsidian also messed up on the DM Client too. making it worse for DMs. With these big downers to start with, there was a lacklustre reception to this game. Eventually some expansions came out though, making things slightly better. Expand
  41. May 16, 2013
    The main plot of this game is absolutely amazing, with lot of twists, lot of decisions that matters! Classic RPG with great voice acting and lot of variety for customization! Also soundtrack is pleasant! The bad sometimes it's buggy, main protagonist doesn't have a voice! Conclusion one of the best game of 2006!
  42. May 18, 2013
    This game is a honorable part two for the neverwinter nights series. There might be some bugs and crashes, but those aren't bad enough to blame the game. The graphics are very good and the story is good, too.
  43. Jun 29, 2013
    This game is an insult to what made the original Neverwinter Nights so great. The Cons: -Clunky, clunky gameplay -Shoddy camera angles that barely function -An altered toolset that needlessly changed what people were already familiar with from the first game -Weak feeling combat -A host of game-breaking glitches and bugs -Runs poorly on many systems The Pros: -They improved the graphics, I guess

The Conclusion:
    Don't buy this. Buy the original, even if that itself is mostly broken due to modern systems conflicting with its age.
  44. Dec 29, 2013
    This is my favourite game of all time. But: it was released unfinished, and many features were left out that could not be fixed with patches (for example: lacking companion interaction, dialog, lack of romance options, etc.). The patches fixed many other things, so it is definitely worth a try. The story, the music, the great characters and the atmosphere of the game made me love it with all my heart. If only this game was in development for 1 more year.... Expand
  45. May 13, 2011
    and the world just didn't feel like a place were people actually lived.

1. So it isn't perfect, particularly not for players who prefer using the mouse, but Neverwinter Nights 2 is nevertheless a hugely enjoyable trip.
  2. Rich narrative, engaging gameplay, and total attention to role-playing detail.
  3. Neverwinter Nights 2 is a strong single-player adventure thoroughly enjoyable in and of itself. That it will serve as a platform for endless mod gaming only makes it that mich more appealing.