8.5

1. Mar 11, 2011
    Brilliant expansion for a brilliant game.
    It's nice that Bioware has given us another aspect of the D&D setting to explore, and hasn't just stuck to the typical caves, dungeons and big cities.
    This also adds quite a bit to the multiplayer aspects of the game. I've seen plenty of servers add an underdark to their PW, and greatly benefited from it.
  2. Aug 3, 2014
    In case of Hordes of the Underdark I was still confused what is everybody raving about. I mostly hated dungeons and interiors in the original NWN, so my logic was - How can an expansion located mostly underground be so good? After playing through this, I understand it perfectly. Hordes of the Underdark is by far the best adventure from the Neverwinter Nights era that Bioware produced and I wouldn't even hesitate to say that this time, the story was even on Baldur's Gate quality levels. Amazing story, characters, quests and that final ultimate epicness, hmmmm, that right there is the good stuff fans of the BG series have been eagerly waiting for and it definitely puts Neverwinter Nights into the good light and maybe even let it slightly peak into the classic hall of fame, not really there with the best, but almost. 9/10 Expand
  3. Jun 24, 2011
    This second expansion for Neverwinter Nights got a lot of praise, even though the story feels like a bit of a rambling mess compared to Shadows of Undrentide (wisely, it's a continuation of that expansion's storyline and ignores the NWN original campaign). As an "epic" D&D adventure (over level 20) it has the usual stat inflation problem, with far too many spells (many now useless) ending up in your list if your character is a spellcaster. But: two NPC companions at once! More Deekin! Expand

1. You’re not likely to find another game that lets you skip the pansy levels and move onto the dragon-smiting immediately.
  2. Those of you who are invested in the series will be very happy with the new features and the 15 to 20 hours of single player hack-and-slash action that this expansion offers.
  3. Has that woefully underbaked, released-just-in-time-for-the-holidays taint to it, and that's just a colossal shame, because underneath that nastiness is a great, great expansion. [Mar 2004, p.78]