5.3

1. Jun 30, 2014
    While the other teams try to copycat WoW, brilliant minds at Cryptic went one step ahead and copied WoW pirate servers! Or maybe their development budget was too tight to afford a WoW subscription. Anyway, glitched skills? Check! Going through walls? Check! Crashes? Check! Doing dungeon for hour for boss to drop nothing? Check!

If this game would be described in one word, it would be

If this game would be described in one word, it would be "bugs". If you think I'm overdramatising, there is actually ingame community dedicated to specifically running content without exploits. That's right, playing the way supposed to be is actually a niche pastime in this game, similar to doing classic raids in modern WoW with XP bar locked to level 60. You are expected to use every single bug and glitch during normal play, or prepare to be kicked.

Action combat is ok, but forget about being competitive in pvp if you play from EU, because PWE is too cheap to maintain EU server and ping will make you a punchbag. Monetization turned to worse recently since there is no way anymore to turn ingame currency into item store one. Overall this game works for novelty but you gotta have some nerves to play it.
  2. Jun 20, 2013
    As a member of the ex-hardcore community, I was very pleasantly surprised by NW accessibility and leveling design. Gaming areas are relatively small, most content is zoned or instanced, and questing is very directive, yet Cryptic manages to avoid the corridor effect of recent F2P such as Vindictus. You encounter enough players to feel you are actually playing an MMO, but the amount ofAs a member of the ex-hardcore community, I was very pleasantly surprised by NW accessibility and leveling design. Gaming areas are relatively small, most content is zoned or instanced, and questing is very directive, yet Cryptic manages to avoid the corridor effect of recent F2P such as Vindictus. You encounter enough players to feel you are actually playing an MMO, but the amount of backtracking and mindless grinding is satisfyingly limited. The graphic design is surprisingly sober, yet the environments are varied and eye-pleasing with a maxed-out level of detail and drawing distance. When you factor in a fun action-oriented combat system, and a low dependance on the cash store, I thought I had a winner here.

Alas, the end-game is where NW fails to shine. Almost any end-game 5-man dungeon and boss fight is based on an absurd number of adds, thus putting a disproportionate emphasis on CC and kiting. As a result, the Guardian Fighter (tank), Trickster Rogue (single target DPS) and Great Weapon Fighter (melee aoe DPS) appear superfluous, while the Control Wizard (CC dps) is absolutely mandatory as is the Devoted Cleric (Healer), the latter being more understandable. This fundamental unbalance in design pidgeon-holes most classes into specific builds, which is quite unnerving as respecs are of course, this is a F2P costly, be it in time or real money. There is absolutely nothing rewarding to do on your own once you hit max level. The foundry (user-generated quest campaigns) are a great addition during levelling as they grant a very decent amount of xp, but they're limited to very basic loot tables which become worthless in regard to other activities. As in most MMOs, PvP and it's classic battleground sysem is a CC mess, only bearable during the (short) time required to get the full PvP set. Which could be at least somewhat useful except that due to very poor loot distribution mechanisms, the in-game auction house is flooded with cheap epic gear. From there, the time required to get the marginally better BoS items increases exponentially and hardly feels worth the effort (especially if you do not benefit from a stable guild). Finally, the EVE-inspired time-based crafting system is efficient and even fun, until you realise the absurd amount of time required to max a profession out, especially as the intermediate rewards are close to totally worthless. However, these flaws are relatively superficial and could easily be adressed by moderate tweaking thus my opinion on NW remains positive. The game has a solid foundation, a fun combat system and a casual-friendly approach. In its current state, and while it failed to suck me in on a long term basis, it was and remains very worth a shot
  3. Jun 21, 2013
    +Awesome combat system.
    +Leveling up is very fun.

-Horrible cash shop system. Not only because of spending money, but because it takes all progression fun away, even if you are ready to pay.
    -World feels too instanced.
  4. Jun 2, 2014
    I don't recommend this game for anyone. I played about 900 hours of this "thing" from the open beta(soft launch in March 2013) to the release of Module 2.

Unfortunately the clowns in Cryptic and Perfect World are turning the game even more P2W with every patch. New reskinned mounts became companions and reskinned companions became mounts that cost outrageous amounts of Zen. PVP is dominated by bots, 110% mounts and players that have bought his gear with money, like the Tenebrous enchantments. Bots are dominating the market and the developers do nothing to punish this behavior. Every new patch introduce new bugs and exploits and old bugs and exploits still haunt the player community from the soft-launch in March 2013.

The game has 6 classes now but you need only 3 to do the end-game content, a Divine Cleric, a Trickster Rogue and 3 Control Wizards, oh wait, the game has no end-game content too! Boring and repetitive dailies and "epic" dungeons full of glitches and exploits are the only thing to do after max level. And before I forget, the community are one of the worst that I have ever seen, fanboys and dumb kidos everywhere, defending the need of profit for the company that are milking them.

Stay away from this thing.
  5. Jul 22, 2013
    This is a decent game. I would give it a 6.5/10 if I were in the States with about 100ms latency. Unfortunately I am not and my latency is about 350-480ms. So my review is mainly for those who does not have great connection to the game.

Actually 350-480ms is not awful at all if the game engine was designed and polished properly. 350ms in NWO feels like 550ms in DDO and 900ms in GuildWars2. That is how bad the game engine is. Due to the semi-action combat system and poor latency compensation algorithm and game design, you will most likely get a very frustrating experience if you do not have a good connection. Still playable but you will not enjoy it as much.

Latency apart, this game does not feel like a D&D game. It offers nearly no character customization. So if you are expecting a D&D experience, this is probably not the game for you. I recommend DDO if D&D experience is what you are looking for.

Besides the "Foundry", this is just another MMO; a visually dated MMO.
  6. Jun 21, 2013
    I would have loved to review this game when it was released. Unfortunately, they decided to pretend it was in beta, well after the public release, cash shop and all. That's a bit sleazy. Heck, I think "Neverwinter: A Bit Sleazy" is a fitting name. It's a fun game for a while, but far too repetitive, with same-looking characters running same-looking zones to kill same-looking monsters,I would have loved to review this game when it was released. Unfortunately, they decided to pretend it was in beta, well after the public release, cash shop and all. That's a bit sleazy. Heck, I think "Neverwinter: A Bit Sleazy" is a fitting name. It's a fun game for a while, but far too repetitive, with same-looking characters running same-looking zones to kill same-looking monsters, all the while offering you the chance to ride faster, craft faster, kill faster, if you would only spend some real money. "You don't have to spend money!" I head fanbois cry, and that is true. You don't. But I can tell you this. When you play for free, everything you do will be slightly slower, slightly more monotonous, or slightly more annoying, because you can't even respec your character without an item that has to be brought into the game with real money. So play the game, by all means, but as soon as you get tempted to buy yourself a thirty dollar horse, or pay real money for a respec, consider how free the game really is. Expand
  7. Dec 16, 2013
    Summary

The game will keep you entertained for awhile, but after you hit level 60, it goes downhill from there and quality noticeable drops. The Good Neverwinter has excellent combat and physics as well as good tactical elements that make the game fun. The graphics are above average for an MMO and the sound effects in combat are excellent and immersive. Controls feel solid and
    Summary

The Good

Neverwinter has excellent combat and physics as well as good tactical elements that make the game fun. The graphics are above average for an MMO and the sound effects in combat are excellent and immersive. Controls feel solid and everything is very responsive from target specific enemies in a crowd or dodging attacks. Players who invest in mechanical keyboard and precision mice will make good use of it in here. Combat is fun and for those with good sound systems, this only makes it more enjoyable.

The Bad.

The game is very simplistic for a D&D game. One of the questionable aspects if the decision of Cryptic you make use of only 3 slots for powers, 2 slots for dailies, and 2 slots for passive skills, which in this day and age for very limiting. You do not have multiple hot bars and in order to swap powers, you must navigate clumsily through the menu to do this. After you swap powers, dailies, or passive skills, there is a fairly long duration before you can start using them.

There is also a large lack of class variations and customizations. You have six classes when approaching level 30, can choose a paragon path which is a sort of subclass for that class. Cryptic had a very good chance here to make things interesting but decided not two. The are very slight differences between either affect gameplay very little and most players will see no differences at all. In the end, everyone in the game pretty much uses the same cookie cutter template for their class.

There seems to be balance issues concerning classes. Fighters aren't generally welcomed in any group, and the game is comprised mostly of rogues, wizards, and rangers. The reasons are fairly obvious when you play game and I won't go into details because the list of issues are large and can be found at the official forums.

Other concerns
    The community is very elitist are very unfriendly to feedback in the forums and are just as rude in game. Developers seem to be more concerned with bringing updates for cash items than making meaningful changes to the game and the new content dubbed Module 1 and 2 both use the same cookie cutter layout but with different map layouts and graphics. Most quests are pretty much fetch quests or killing stuff in a general area.

Conclusion
    Good combat, responsive control, but poor decisions make the game unenjoyable in the long run.
  8. Oct 26, 2013
    Was a huge fan of the game while in beta...until beta became release-but-still-officially-beta-whenever-we-repeatedly-screw-up. The amount of exploits that made it to Live even though they were reported in beta (which really wouldn't have been that big of a deal were it not for the fact that everything revolves around Astral Diamond currency, thus lacing the entire aspect of the game withWas a huge fan of the game while in beta...until beta became release-but-still-officially-beta-whenever-we-repeatedly-screw-up. The amount of exploits that made it to Live even though they were reported in beta (which really wouldn't have been that big of a deal were it not for the fact that everything revolves around Astral Diamond currency, thus lacing the entire aspect of the game with a heavy dose of greed; especially in PUGS where people would roll Need on a stale cracker if they could), shady business practices including offering "exclusive" pre-order packs during beta and then just selling the same packs under a different name when the game goes live, high Zen store pricing compared to other real-money currency MMO's, and the shadiest forum moderation team I've seen since when The Matrix Online first went live...all this combines to take away from the positive aspects of the game like it's combat system.

Like Cryptic's other games, Star Trek Online and Champions Online, I have a feeling it'll take a year or several before the negatives of the game get addressed and/or whittled down enough to let the positives truly shine. Which is a shame because the actual game is a fun ride to the level cap.
  9. Dec 28, 2013
    I want to like it, but I can't. Feels like a linear hack and slash game to me. Hardly any weapon or armor diversity, and just reeks of shallowness. The customization and openness just isn' there.
  10. Dec 25, 2013
    I want to love it. I really do... But something holds me back from giving it a higher score.

Let me elaborate. I've been a huge fan of the Neverwinter series from the start, and when I heard it was going to be an MMO, I got excited. Then I heard it was free. I was ecstatic. Then I played it. Now it feels like something's missing on a very basic level, and I can't help but be a little disappointed.

1) For starters, the controls are tight and very fluid for an MMO. The fact that the screen moves with the mouse without holding a mouse button down is revolutionary and Cryptic did a great job getting that part right. All default mappings are close to movement keys and everything just works. The game plays almost like a third person shooter would, complete with a reticule and everything. The bad thing is that it's TOO simple. There are a limited number of attacks you can employ because of the setup and the complexity of your average MMO's combat exceeds NW's because of this.

2) NW remains somewhat true to the D&D spirit of character creation and play. There are a wide variety of races to choose from (although most of those you can find in a Tolkien book and I would love to see more exotic races like the Catfolk). In fact, the choices for playable races far exceeds that of games like The Old Republic MMO and all are available for free, which is very nice. Also, you can create a unique bio and back story for your character which, sadly, means absolutely nothing as every character starts out in the exact same area and you are just left with your imagination as to how you got there in the first place. Overall it's on its way to becoming truly great in terms of customization, but just misses the mark as most build options are eerily similar and your choices seem to have little if any- weight on the story.

3) Perhaps the worst pitfall is that Neverwinter follows Cryptic's predecessors, in that there is a lack of content for higher level players compared to games like WoW. Even when you aren't at a high level, each portion of the game feels sectioned off from most other players, or "instanced", and the concept of a "massively-multiplayer-online game" becomes pretty ironic. Other than leveling, there really isn't anything else you can do and it can be quite lonely at the top. Now they did introduce a level creation system that is pretty neat but don't expect it to hold your interest for long as it's quite limited. Even a neat sandbox system isn't enough to keep me playing this game.

4) This game is free. That is a good thing and a bad thing. It's bad because you know that somewhere down the line, the developers are going to need to find a way to monetize. They do this through the a shop where you pay real money to do things like respec your character, get higher level gear you know, things you already expect of MMO's for free. The good thing is you can play almost everything the game has to offer without any real money, but you will always feel disadvantaged compared to those that do spend Take it for what you will. IMHO I would rather drop $60 for a game than have to piecemeal my way through these gimmicks. In fact, I think that overall quality suffers from a F2P model more often than not as people who have to pay expect more of the game going into it.

Is Neverwinter the greatest MMO since WoW? Meh... Probably not. Certainly not by the standards I hold the Neverwinter series up to. Is it worth a play? Definitely. It has a lot going for it all things considered and with some improvement (especially regarding exploration instead of on-the-rails action) it could really be a contender against some paid MMOs. If Cryptic/Perfect World can push out some radical updates that addresses some of these issues, then you're looking at a worthwhile experience. Until then, it's nothing compared to other standby MMOs.
  11. Jul 3, 2013
    Not impressed with only two character slots? What's that about?

Not impressed with crafting mechanics, impossible to craft as you level as crafting takes forever to level up and so I was unable to make anything for myself to wear. That bites. It also seems as if to craft many items you need cash shop, I have never seen another game as ruthless with the cash shop as this one. I
    Not impressed with only two character slots? What's that about?

I enjoyed the dungeons and raids until level 30 and they became impossible to survive. So without them you are left with the player created missions which were 'meh'

Gathering resources is awful, you have to buy kits, they are horribly expensive in the beginning and add to the stress-fest.

The companions is the best part of the game imo but as they all look identical, the shine wears off them too.
    If you are wealthy and love to splash the cash you might be able to spend your way into a better experience.
  12. Jun 25, 2013
    Pretty good free game (at least for some days)... After this, you really have to pay. No money, no honey, no fun. If you don't five real money, you'll stay with two chars, boring companions, items, etc while all around you other players get the good stuff. I really prefer "pay per month" MMOs, cause at least they're sincere and everyone starts on a level basis.
  13. Mar 29, 2014
    Imagine the Star Wars MMO RPG with Skyrim Graphics and Smite's combat interface.
    The game looked really promising in the tutorial, the combat was smooth, there was a very small learning curve and it built itself up to make you think it was going somewhere.
    After the tutorial, however, it shot itself in the foot. The world makes you feel claustrophobic, it's just a series of instances not dissimilar to the WoW dungeons, with no open world elements. The level scaling is poor, I spend the late 20s grinding off mobs to level up and unlock new quests, disrupting flow and reminding me how small the game is. There is a reason WoW has more players than most other MMORPGs despite costing money: it's open world. In WoW you could roam the fields of Durotar as a majestic man-cow. If you want a good story driven adventure to do with friends that involves levelling up and acquiring kit, buy Diablo. If you want a good MMO RPG, play WoW. This is a bad mash up of the two.
  14. Dec 8, 2013
    I started playing the game because I had been a huge fan of the original Neverwinter Nights. I was disappointed to find the game lacking that 'atmosphere'. The gameplay itself was fine. A different style of combat than the standard MMO vanilla button pressing. Graphics were fine, scenery was good. The 'feel' was definitely harmed by the overwhelming presence of the game trying to getI started playing the game because I had been a huge fan of the original Neverwinter Nights. I was disappointed to find the game lacking that 'atmosphere'. The gameplay itself was fine. A different style of combat than the standard MMO vanilla button pressing. Graphics were fine, scenery was good. The 'feel' was definitely harmed by the overwhelming presence of the game trying to get you to spend money. As it is F2P I'd recommend anyone giving it a try. A well done game, just fell short for me in a few areas. Expand
  15. Jaz
    Jun 21, 2013
    This game could have great graphics (characters, animations, environment) if it was released 5-10 years ago. This game could have been a great MMO to explore but is so full of instances. This game could have been a good F2P if not for its greedy cash shop. This game could have been less of a letdown if it did not use the title of Neverwinter, one of the best CRPGs ever a long time agoThis game could have great graphics (characters, animations, environment) if it was released 5-10 years ago. This game could have been a great MMO to explore but is so full of instances. This game could have been a good F2P if not for its greedy cash shop. This game could have been less of a letdown if it did not use the title of Neverwinter, one of the best CRPGs ever a long time ago (never to come back i am afraid). PS Saving grace, The Foundry. Expand
  16. Jul 14, 2013
    I originally rated this game an 8. I levelled to 60 and got fully epic'd out in T1 gear. But now they obviously have more players than they are able to support and they are doing nothing to address it. The latency in game is virtually always between 1000 and 3000ms. Horribly imbalanced T2 dungeons are made even more ridiculous by how incredibly poorly this game is supported. If the gameI originally rated this game an 8. I levelled to 60 and got fully epic'd out in T1 gear. But now they obviously have more players than they are able to support and they are doing nothing to address it. The latency in game is virtually always between 1000 and 3000ms. Horribly imbalanced T2 dungeons are made even more ridiculous by how incredibly poorly this game is supported. If the game wasn't buggy, had stable servers and balanced content I would put the rating back to an 8. But there seems to be little to no chance that will happen. I recommend you avoid this game and try out some of the other wonderful MMOs in "beta" right now. I'm still giving it a 5 because it has the possibility of not sucking at some point. But I worry I'll be long gone by then. Expand
  17. Sep 25, 2014
    Enjoyable game, the dungeons are fun but are pretty easy. The PvP was fun until the 1000th time, and now I can't even continue because I'm tired of that PvP map. The best part of this mmo is probably the foundry where players can make their own quests which gives the player an infinite amount of quests to do.
  18. Jun 20, 2013
    Its really a poor game went into it loving it low time requirement to level seemed cool but the more i got into it the worse it became. its a 5.5 to me almost a 6.
    The zones are small and don't feel like a world. They are small and force you to travel along a path and due to quests being the only practical source of Xp theres no point in exploring. The novelty of mini dungeons wears off fast when it becomes so standard and predicable. Do a bread crumb quest kill dude in cave repeat 30 times till max lvl.
    Dont get me started on pvp, its not even really there its a poorly balanced arena forcing you to run in circles to hold points to win.
    I only continue to play this game due to my friends who have dumped money into and refuse to leave the sinking ship that is this game.
    you are better off avoiding this MMO and is not worth the time.
  19. Jul 11, 2013
    Never winter is a wonderful concept, with pleasant leveling and graphics. The combat is somewhat messy, and lacks any sort of direction. The biggest flaw with this game is the fact that is f2p, and carries the pay to win element to the extreme. This game would definitely be better off as a subscription based game.
  20. Jan 10, 2014
    This game's strong point is its combat. In my opinion it still can't beat the king of action MMOs (TERA)-- but in contrast to TERA, there's more than combat to it.
    Initially I hated the graphics (I was coming from TERA) but with time I got to like them. The quests and story are good as well, and the NPCs read the text aloud so that we lore-lovers can listen to it while doing other activities.

The one thing it set me back? CLASS BALANCE.
    BUT not as in "HEALERS OP OMG RAPORT NERFED PLOX". The balance between classes is good.
    But the patch changes rarely hit the spot. For example, let's take the new class, the Hunter Ranger.
    The Ranger's got a ranged and a melee stance. However the melee stance does negligible damage and the ranged stance does unbeliavabke amounts of damage. As a playee I'm a bit of a perfectionist and it just feels WRONG and asymmetrical to only use the ranged stance. I feel like a good mechanic goes to waste.

Same goes with the other classes as well: the buffs, nerfs and changes are usually totally unneeded changes, of they torally miss the point, making the meta swing wildly.
    And this is an MMO, where tweaking should be fine and subtle. Instead, the balancing team is more like a moneky with a sledgehammer. It's not a game breaker, but it is annoying, and to some players like me, such things matter a lot.
    In the end of the day I want to know that my class will change for the better and not for the worse, and tbh I don't get that feeling.
  21. Aug 22, 2014
    Note: My ratings are based on a normalized curve scale

Note: My ratings are based on a normalized curve scale

Neverwinter is a very fun free to play MMO but more tailored for casual play rather than hardcore play. It is a fun game you can pick up and play for short bursts and feel productive. You level up much faster than games such as WoW. Combat is fast paced and requires paying attention to enemy attacks and movement. Staying in one place will get you killed. The limited number of skills you can use is similar to Guild Wars. When I played there was only 1 PvP type and only 2 maps but this likely changed with latest update. Like any MMO there are class balance issues but for the most part classes can be useful in PvP. Playing user created content/missions is very cool and offers daily rewards which is awesome. I recommend this if you are looking for a game to play for a short period but I do not think it would hold your attention for more than a few months.
  22. Sep 18, 2014
    Neverwinter has some fun points when you first start up and set out for "adventure". For a first run through there are plenty of ways for you to enjoy your time. The story is fairly simple and predictable as far as RPG stories go, but there is a fairly large player made foundry that adds in some variety.

I think where Neverwinter fails, like many posters, is in the end game. Some of the highlights include cash shop dominated PVP (the newest of the end game maps are pvp centered), Cash Shop Respec tokens that you will need after re -balancing of classes/skills), Repetitive Gameplay. The rest of the list I realize is more Cash shop venting and there is a reason for that. The game has become skewed towards clans, cash shop and the poor saps left over. If you have an active clan than you can manage to farm your way through the High Tier Dungeons and Get the T2, 2.5 and above armor and weapons you need to survive the end game PVP. Or you can buy your way past it all with Astral Diamonds. At end game there really isn't anything rewarding for you to do solo besides trying to rack up a body count in pvp, which in group open pvp just means you will get jumped by the largest group of enemies that can find you.
  23. Dec 11, 2013
    It's actually pretty good. Out of all the WoW clones I've played, this comes closest to recapturing the good ol' days. This is due to fun instance-based quests and well designed combat. Difficulty in solo PvE takes a while to ramp up, but does get there. However, dungeons are so easy they're a pointless chore, which is a shame.
  24. Jun 23, 2013
    Decent game. Never been a big fan of MMRPG's but the game does have a nice single player option. What is missing is Melee weapons for the Cleric and Mage. Everything cannot be a distance attack. How about split class, fighter/mage. Let us level up to a certain level in one class and switch to a different one. Or at least more character options
  25. Jul 23, 2013
    I feel that what this game is lacking is a simple directional HUD. At the start, I had no idea of what to do; and me only having played RuneScape for a similar comparison to the RPG, I found it fairly tedious and dull. It felt to me like a Lord of The Rings copy; just a standard RPG; it really is all you expect from an RPG Weird English accentuated accents; strange gaelic/celtic namedI feel that what this game is lacking is a simple directional HUD. At the start, I had no idea of what to do; and me only having played RuneScape for a similar comparison to the RPG, I found it fairly tedious and dull. It felt to me like a Lord of The Rings copy; just a standard RPG; it really is all you expect from an RPG Weird English accentuated accents; strange gaelic/celtic named places and crazy creatures. Now, If I were more a fan of RPGs then I would have enjoyed it more. I am not entirely writing it off as I did enjoy some parts. But it looks like it will get a lot more complicated to understand; and having to work to play is not what I play games for. Expand
  26. May 16, 2014
    I found this game to be very fun and offers a lot of content that isn't highly restricted without spending loads of cash. I found the combat style to be a fresh action spin on MMOs that was actually enjoyable. It has its faults and I just lost interest by level 20 but am thinking of returning if they ever bring a paladin class.
  27. Feb 21, 2014
    Outstanding game when you consider the price tag. One of its best features is the ability for users to create their own content and let other players experience it. I had to score the game a little lower due to the freedom of movement while performing combat abilities. You kind of have to stop moving, perform an ability, then move again.
  28. Mar 17, 2014
    Normally when I play an MMO my expectations are low. I blame years of WoW and spending far too much time being sucked into it instead of doing homework, working... well much of anything that constitutes a normal life.

Lately though I've been trying to scratch that MMO itch on a budget, limiting me to Anarchy online, DC Universe and Neverwinter (because I want a game not full of player shops sitting all over the bloody place.)

When I first saw Neverwinter I thought of DDO... and cringed a lot. Though after ESO's horrible beta I figured what could go wrong.

Finally its an MMO that doesn't require a job application, blood sample and my bank account. The combat is nice, and honestly, the blocking for a Guardian is kinda OP, since I tend to just "Stand in the Fire" so to speak and block without fear. PvP is actually enjoyable, since it does a decent job of balancing teams. The companion system is interesting and using them in the browser based game feels less pathetic than farmville.

However I have to harp on the same thing as many others. The cash shop is a joke, the 'Astral Diamonds' are just another grind waiting to happen. However for me, when my brand new laptop for some reason quit being able to log on (after an hour break) the customer service did nothing to help remedy the situation. Seems to be par for the course these days for current MMO's.

A decent game falling short of good because of a greedy cash shop. If it would rely less on that crappy 'Zen' system it could be a contender.

Honestly, wait for Wildstar.
  29. Sep 8, 2014
    An addictive RPG that you can easily play with your friends. The controls are simple, the character customizations average but the graphics aren't that good(average).this game is fun to play if your with a party but alone your missing the power you need to survive.
  30. Jan 2, 2014
    Neverwinter presents an average. Poor graphics, music does not always fit the situation and the environment. The character classes did not have any news in relation to other MMOs. Quests are not boring and playing well. According to me you can find a much better MMO. But it is worth a try because the game takes up little space on your hard drive and has a relatively low hardwareNeverwinter presents an average. Poor graphics, music does not always fit the situation and the environment. The character classes did not have any news in relation to other MMOs. Quests are not boring and playing well. According to me you can find a much better MMO. But it is worth a try because the game takes up little space on your hard drive and has a relatively low hardware requirements. I think that Neverwinter in the normal version is better. Expand
  31. Jul 25, 2013
    I feel this game is a pretty solid 7, no more no less. The action take on combat is interesting, you have to "aim" but not really, just get close enough. This can make for very annoying target selection when healing though, and when mobs stack up. It's really not that big of a drawback though, there is just no way to accurately tell the game engine which person you want when they'reI feel this game is a pretty solid 7, no more no less. The action take on combat is interesting, you have to "aim" but not really, just get close enough. This can make for very annoying target selection when healing though, and when mobs stack up. It's really not that big of a drawback though, there is just no way to accurately tell the game engine which person you want when they're stacked. I like the characters as I have one of each. The game really does have a good feel to it, especially the combat action, although there are only 8 buttons total for abilities. You can swap out your abilities at any time though, which allows for a certain level of respeccing on the fly without having to go into your skill tree at all. The game is visually pleasing even though there is only one main "town" that feels pretty spartan. There is nowhere near the feel of walking into any of the capital cities in WoW, Rift, etc. I do have a problem with the Free 2 play model here though, a decent mount is $25, and the game is pay to win faster* but realistically the grind needed to get a decent mount, or even a pet that can survive past 40 is pretty bland and boring. You will spend most of your time farming for "astral diamonds" to get better items from the AH and shops. Unfortunately, these diamonds are not the main currency that drops in the game, that's gold. Gold is fairly worthless other than individual trades, potions and crafting, you can't bid on the AH with it. AD Can be gathered with trade skills like SW:Tor, sending your minions to go farm to you but the process is tedious. You can farm AD by doing the daily instance, foundry (user created content) or skirmish, kind of a quick instance. Speaking of F2P greed, they baked it into the crafting even, so that making your items faster, better etc. requires spending real money or farming diamonds. For that reason, I don't really think I will ever get into this game too much. Take my subscription money and don't try to money grub at every turn please...mounts, pets, crafting, skins, more than 2 char slots, extra bags, respecs etc are all paid services. I'm just plain sick of being nickeled and dimed out of any possible enjoyment I could have with the F2P model. I was warned before playing that Perfect World was an incredibly greedy and money grubbing company and that advice has proven to be 100% correct. Expand
  32. Jul 23, 2013
    This game is a diabloesque MMO set in the universe of Neverwinter of dungeons & dragons. Overall, This game has a very solid foundation. Controls are very smooth and responsive, the graphics are amazing for a F2P game, and it brings all the elements a great MMO should into the game(crafting, PvP, PvE, etc.) My drawbacks with this game is that it is repetitive in some of the worst ways. TheThis game is a diabloesque MMO set in the universe of Neverwinter of dungeons & dragons. Overall, This game has a very solid foundation. Controls are very smooth and responsive, the graphics are amazing for a F2P game, and it brings all the elements a great MMO should into the game(crafting, PvP, PvE, etc.) My drawbacks with this game is that it is repetitive in some of the worst ways. The Questing system is direct without any freedom on how and where you quest. The story behind it is simple and uninteresting(Oh No! the city of Neverwinter is in trouble! Kill Bandits! Kill rogue mages!). The dungeons/skirmishes(PvE content) are simple and without any cool game mechanics or aspects to them. You simply walk through a cave and kill bosses, which is fine, but they do in it an uninteresting way. This game's saving grace is its PvP. Normally when I play MMOs, I am a avid PvE player, but this game allows for epic combat between players using quick and responsive skills, where the difference between life and death is literally one button press. Believe me, It's intense. Overall, The game's foundation is solid and robust, while its PvP is excellent. If they were to provide more in-depth and interesting dungeons and raids. This would make for an excellent game. Expand
  33. Aug 25, 2013
    The game is somewhat breath of fresh air in MMO world. It offers dynamics combat great Dungeons & Dragons world (However it lacks sophisticated story line), although game seems to be very simple and unfinished let me take paragon paths as an example there's only one paragon path you don't have any choice Another thing is the micro-payments are ridiculously high, certainly not worth their price.
  34. Nov 19, 2013
    This game is great for free to play. It is a good action-RPG that allows player-based quest creation and a fast paced PVP, although it lacks in a lot of important details including community cohesion and exploration.
    The good includes the price, the action packed gameplay, and the graphics, but this is coupled to an endless barrage of gold-spammers, weak community interaction, and linearity mirroring a JRPG style. Without a strong community, and tactical puzzle solving challenges, the game is a ceaseless mind-deafening mouse clicking experience. Nothing really sets this game apart from other games in the same genre; it is neither progressive, nor is it a cut above the rest, yet it is still enjoyable at level 40+ where the quests and dungeons begin to acquire some challenge.
  35. Jun 21, 2013
    Apart from a combat system that actually feels different from WoW, ToR, and LotRO. The game sports an awesome feature that I don't think I've seen in another MMO. User created dungeons and quest add infinite options for everyone on stories and adventures in this game, and while it may lack on character customization i think the endless adventures are more important. They are ultimatelyApart from a combat system that actually feels different from WoW, ToR, and LotRO. The game sports an awesome feature that I don't think I've seen in another MMO. User created dungeons and quest add infinite options for everyone on stories and adventures in this game, and while it may lack on character customization i think the endless adventures are more important. They are ultimately what will keep people engaged in the game. Collapse

1. Oct 8, 2013
    As a D&D and Neverwinter Nights fan, I wanted to see what an MMO version offered, and I came away feeling that it accomplished its goals, if only for a month or so. It's like a single-player sandbox dungeon; when I reached what felt to be the proverbial end, it was time to move on.
  2. Sep 17, 2013
    Neverwinter is a disappointing MMO. There isn’t a lot of freedom for players to roam and it doesn’t re-imagine itself in the open world genre. For a free-to-play game it offers too little.
  3. Sep 6, 2013
    Neverwinter is one of the best free-to-play games this year, with its fluid combat, extensive amount of quests, and Foundry tool in which players can create their own adventures. Most importantly, premium points and items don't affect the game for those who choose to adventure on the free route. Role-playing fans owe themselves an extended journey to the world of Neverwinter.