6.0

1. Jun 20, 2013
    A huge disappointment, and I will explain why.

(1) Forget about customizing your character.
    Unlike in something like DDO.com, where even in character creation you're picking feats, skills, spells and stats, Neverwinter gives you almost no ability to customize your character. Playing up to level 10 or so, I've not seen any serious flexibility in the abilities my character has. You can
    only slot about 5 different attacks, maximum, unlike in other D&D games where you could have literally dozens of abilities available at any time. This makes Neverwinter seem dull even in comparison to games like DDO and NWN which were released many years ago.

(2) Start caring about your twitch skills
    Combat in Neverwinter is very different to any other D&D game I've played. In most D&D games, it is your armor, your spells, your general character build that matter. It doesn't matter if you stand in a pile of kobolds if you have crafted yourself some armor of invulnerability, have enough armor class, or the right spells, they cannot hit you AT ALL. Other D&D games reward thinking, planning, and generally knowing your stuff. Neverwinter doesn't care about any of that, all it rewards are twitch skills. Enemy mage about to fireball you? Forget having fire resistance gear. Forget ducking around a corner. Forget casting a protective spell, or trying to take him out first. In Neverwinter, a red circle appears on the ground and you run away from it. That's it. It takes all the depth out of the game, making it more about your average first person shooter's twitch skills than anything which resembles any other D&D game I've ever played.

(3) Get ready to be treated like you're 8
    Everything in Neverwinter glows, flashes, or sometimes both at once. Yes, it looks pretty, but after awhile you start to feel like the game's designers consider you their personal lab rodent easily distracted by anything shiny.

(4) Enjoy your weak-ass characters
    Going back to DDO.com, in that game, I can construct a level 4-7 mage who can one-shot kill entire groups of enemies with a single spell. Yes, it takes game knowledge, crafting, etc, but it is possible. If you know your stuff you can absolutely kick ass in amazing ways. In Neverwinter, it takes a long time to kill each enemy, and AOE effects tend to be quite weak. The result is that, for my class (wizard/sorc) at least, it plays more like a slow grind fest than a game in which I'm supposed to be an offensive caster.

Upsides:
    Neverwinter does look pretty, and the ability to have player-created dungeons is great. That said, nothing can disguise the fact this game is based on the horrible 4th edition rules, which severely limit your gameplay in all the ways that actually matter. If your child wants an easy introduction to D&D, give them this. If, on the other hand, you're considering trying this yourself, don't bother. Even ancient D&D games like NWN, or MMOs like DDO, have far deeper immersion and more meaningful choices.
  2. Jun 20, 2013
    I wanted to play this game, but when I try to download it, it says to me "Disabled Region". So in 21th century we divide people on those who can play the game and those who can not? I believe I can't see any good in this game since i am not even good enough to play it here from Russia. Thanks, get your negative feedback.
  3. Jul 14, 2013
    This game starts out quite fun. Decent combat for an MMO, linear questing and the foundry is an interesting concept.

But after you've scratched the surface, you'll find nothing but exploitative PW cash shop (pay IRL money for respecs????) the game has been hacked to shreds and they refuse to reset not to mention the region locking.

Avoid.
  4. Jun 20, 2013
    As a member of the ex-hardcore community, I was very pleasantly surprised by NW accessibility and leveling design. Gaming areas are relatively small, most content is zoned or instanced, and questing is very directive, yet Cryptic manages to avoid the corridor effect of recent F2P such as Vindictus. You encounter enough players to feel you are actually playing an MMO, but the amount of backtracking and mindless grinding is satisfyingly limited. The graphic design is surprisingly sober, yet the environments are varied and eye-pleasing with a maxed-out level of detail and drawing distance. When you factor in a fun action-oriented combat system, and a low dependance on the cash store, I thought I had a winner here.

Alas, the end-game is where NW fails to shine. Almost any end-game 5-man dungeon and boss fight is based on an absurd number of adds, thus putting a disproportionate emphasis on CC and kiting. As a result, the Guardian Fighter (tank), Trickster Rogue (single target DPS) and Great Weapon Fighter (melee aoe DPS) appear superfluous, while the Control Wizard (CC dps) is absolutely mandatory as is the Devoted Cleric (Healer), the latter being more understandable. This fundamental unbalance in design pidgeon-holes most classes into specific builds, which is quite unnerving as respecs are of course, this is a F2P costly, be it in time or real money. There is absolutely nothing rewarding to do on your own once you hit max level. The foundry (user-generated quest campaigns) are a great addition during levelling as they grant a very decent amount of xp, but they're limited to very basic loot tables which become worthless in regard to other activities. As in most MMOs, PvP and it's classic battleground sysem is a CC mess, only bearable during the (short) time required to get the full PvP set. Which could be at least somewhat useful except that due to very poor loot distribution mechanisms, the in-game auction house is flooded with cheap epic gear. From there, the time required to get the marginally better BoS items increases exponentially and hardly feels worth the effort (especially if you do not benefit from a stable guild). Finally, the EVE-inspired time-based crafting system is efficient and even fun, until you realise the absurd amount of time required to max a profession out, especially as the intermediate rewards are close to totally worthless. However, these flaws are relatively superficial and could easily be adressed by moderate tweaking thus my opinion on NW remains positive. The game has a solid foundation, a fun combat system and a casual-friendly approach. In its current state, and while it failed to suck me in on a long term basis, it was and remains very worth a shot
  5. Jun 21, 2013
    I would have loved to review this game when it was released. Unfortunately, they decided to pretend it was in beta, well after the public release, cash shop and all. That's a bit sleazy. Heck, I think "Neverwinter: A Bit Sleazy" is a fitting name. It's a fun game for a while, but far too repetitive, with same-looking characters running same-looking zones to kill same-looking monsters, all the while offering you the chance to ride faster, craft faster, kill faster, if you would only spend some real money. "You don't have to spend money!" I head fanbois cry, and that is true. You don't. But I can tell you this. When you play for free, everything you do will be slightly slower, slightly more monotonous, or slightly more annoying, because you can't even respec your character without an item that has to be brought into the game with real money. So play the game, by all means, but as soon as you get tempted to buy yourself a thirty dollar horse, or pay real money for a respec, consider how free the game really is. Expand
  6. Jul 18, 2013
    Content gets boring rapidly. My main concern is the fact all the bosses feel the same. Avoid the red circle stand in the blue circle and deal with way too many ads (adds don't despawn after the boss dies many strategies involve purposely dying after the boss to generate a despawn). Bosses are reduced to finding exploits to avoid massive add spam such as luring the boss away or finding methods to prevent add aggression. The other major concern if the fact each hour has an event attached to it, some of these events are rather pointless pre 60 and others are useless once you hit level cap of 60. Basically it felt like the only time worth playing is before and during a specific event pops which is the dungeon delve. Certain classes are required in a dungeon most noteably is the control wizard to punt things into lava etc and the healer. I played mostly as a healer and the mechanics are counter intuitive with tanks. If you had someone who tanks well and takes all aggression that is actually a bad thing. The only reliable heals are area of effect so damage needs to be spread out over several party members as your heals will be the same on a tank as it would for another dps and you do not have reliable single target heals. This renders the tank class virtually useless (in comparison to taking another control wizard or Rouge) for all but one dungeon where they can bug the final boss with their taunts. Poorly designed and rapidly feels repetitive, with a limited window of gametime that is randomly generated where your guaranteed a reward. Expand
  7. Jun 21, 2013
    +Awesome combat system.
    +Leveling up is very fun.

-Horrible cash shop system. Not only because of spending money, but because it takes all progression fun away, even if you are ready to pay.
    -World feels too instanced.
  8. Jun 20, 2013
    Despite only a few twists on the old formula, Neverwinter somehow manages to feel fresh in its overly populated genre. Without doubt Neverwinter's selling point is its combat system which is the slickest available in the current lineup of MMOs. While you're still sculling potions and awaiting cooldowns, the combat feels engaging and dynamic. The many instances are inspired and fun although boss mechanics don't vary much they become very challenging and team-oriented around level 30. It's possible to get many hours of enjoyment out of this game without paying a single dime, though Cryptic have sneakily monetised vital aspects of the game. The first and only money I have put down after around 60 hours of play was on extra bag space, which is cripplingly tight. The world isn't massive though Foundry content greatly expands its overall size. With fresh content released almost weekly and a large player-base, give this game a shot you're bound to like it. Expand
  9. Jun 20, 2013
    the game is very fun. the game has great action in the combat. It fells like a true action rpg with mmo elements. The game looks great. It is fast to install.
  10. Jun 25, 2013
    From the get go this game seems to pull off what it was going for, a f2p instanced MMO that delivers a solid experience for both D&D lovers and newcomers to the IP.

However after several game-breaking bugs Exploiting Foundry to get 60 in 2 hours, then after that nerf exploiting quests to get 60 in 20 minutes, then after that exploiting bosses to get unlimited loot.. to finally
    exploiting the AH to DUPE millions of IGG.) the game has lost it for me, I don't believe they can continue to provide a solid, fun and consistent experience for anyone serious about MMO's.

Not awful but certainly a ways off from the big boys.
  11. Jun 27, 2013
    As one who has been craving a digital portal back into the Forgotten Realms, I have been eagerly awaiting Neverwinter's official release. I'm happy to report thet Cryptic Studios has fulfilled my desires and then some. By far, the strongest inclusion is the Foundry- Cryptic's tool that allows for player genertated content to manifest in the game world. It is a truly rewarding incentive to log in each day knowing new content is waiting! Another high point is the combat, which is action-based and restricted to a relatively small number of abilities the player chooses from a much larger pool. I have spent considerable time joyfully agonizing over which of my many abilities to have active. Main characters and plot lines are voiced, something I now consider an essential inclusion for storytelling in the genre. In-game activities are always only a click away, with current events listed conveniently near the mini-map on the UI. Crafting and the auction house can be accessed from outside of the game through the Neverwinter Gateway making it possible to stay active when away from your home PC.

I would be remiss if I did not mention that although no content is locked behind a pay wall in Neverwinter, convenience and cosmetic items available in the cash shop are steeply priced- making me long for the days when you simply paid your $12-15 dollars a month and that was that (I may be in the minority on this one).

While I think Neverwinter appeals to a specific audience, I believe the members of that audience will be using Cryptic's portal to the Forgotten Realms for many years to come.
  12. Jun 27, 2013
    If you want something to pass a few hours time then sure give Neverwinter a shot, it's 'Free' after all. But note that every single thing in the game has a charge, and not a small one either. For example to respec costs real money, to get anything more than a standard bag to hold items is also paid with real money. Any more than two characters, faster mounts, everything. A bag to hold items worked out to be about 7 or 8 euros. For 1 bag.
    The lag spikes and rubber banding were awful in pvp and cities, and the fact they kept saying 'its in beta' yet happily took your money for items was a bit of a joke.
    Also (and this was the worst for me) if you are grouped with a friend waiting to do pvp or an instance, you cannot quest any further than the immediate vicinity you are in. Most of the areas to quest are instanced and so if you are in a party it simply tells you that you cannot leave as you are in a party. so you have to make a choice, sit on your ass and wait for the instance call (which can be a while 25mins at times) or leave the group with your friend and queue alone.
    Great design there guys.
  13. Jun 25, 2013
    Pretty good free game (at least for some days)... After this, you really have to pay. No money, no honey, no fun. If you don't five real money, you'll stay with two chars, boring companions, items, etc while all around you other players get the good stuff. I really prefer "pay per month" MMOs, cause at least they're sincere and everyone starts on a level basis.
  14. Jun 22, 2013
    Typical free to play MMO. The Foundry is 'ok', but HIGHLY dependent on players. That means some good content, but mostly 'meh'. They gouge you in the pay shop, and those bundle things are a scam.
  15. Aug 23, 2013
    Firstly I would just like to say that I have over 400hrs logged into this since beta so it pains me to be posting this as a ZERO review but it needs to be done.

On the first day of its long waited module 1, Cryptics' Neverwinter Online witnessed a huge wave of exploit which allows a precious epic item to be obtained at 1/20 of its original market cost, a bug that has been reported on
    its own test server 6 days prior to the launch, but received no attention from the devs. After the incident, Cryptics did not perform any rollbacks and expressed no intention of taking any sort of measures against the exploiters, neither are they willing to track down the exploited epic items.

This has led many players like myself who have supported the devs/game to feel totally frustrated, furious in some cases.
    Months of grinding and were just told that cheating is fine:/
    Well save your money and your time folks as its clear that as long as PWE/Cryptic are making a then they don't care what the players do...

An extremely disappointed D&D fan..
  16. Aug 19, 2013
    The game seems ok on the surface but its really pretty shallow and reaaaalllly buggy. The people running the game are also complete asshats. I had 6k of Astral Diamonds (in game currency) just disappear from my inventory and then got the following response from customer service.

Hello

I'm sorry to hear you lost your Astral Diamonds. Unfortunately, we won't be able to assist you with
    this issue. At this time Astral Diamonds which are disappeared without any trace do not qualify for reimbursement or replacement.

We would like to encourage you to submit a Bug Report, with your findings, directly to our QA team. This may be done by selecting 'Bug Report' from the list of available help options. Do note that Bug Reports are reviewed by members of the QA team, however you will not be able to edit or view any reported bugs. Additionally, Bug Reports do not receive personalized responses.

We appreciate your patience and understanding in this matter. Thank you for playing!
  17. Sep 8, 2013
    I think that an MMO should be played at least a month before making judgments. Many reviews here are totally inaccurate because they did not see the endgame. Neverwinter is a game full of bugs, exploits, bots and glitches. Great story. Lovely design. Awesome combat system. But too many bots and exploits. Finally it's a casual oriented P2W. I have played this game since open beta. I very strongly hoped devs could change something but it's been months and there is no intention to change the biggest problems. It's really a shame to waste all the good has been done, but unfortunately this is their intention. An opportunity exploited badly. Expand
  18. Jul 3, 2013
    Not impressed with only two character slots? What's that about?

Not impressed with crafting mechanics, impossible to craft as you level as crafting takes forever to level up and so I was unable to make anything for myself to wear. That bites. It also seems as if to craft many items you need cash shop, I have never seen another game as ruthless with the cash shop as this one.

I
    enjoyed the dungeons and raids until level 30 and they became impossible to survive. So without them you are left with the player created missions which were 'meh'

Gathering resources is awful, you have to buy kits, they are horribly expensive in the beginning and add to the stress-fest.

The companions is the best part of the game imo but as they all look identical, the shine wears off them too.
    If you are wealthy and love to splash the cash you might be able to spend your way into a better experience.
  19. Dec 6, 2013
    3 words can resume this game very well: PAY FOR WIN. And pay a LOT.... i been playing this game since beta, i suffer all the hacks, bugs and the spensive crap in the shop, i actually buy a 40$ mount, YES 40$ mount is consider a "micro transaction". The biggest problem is that when you get to max lvl you dont have anything to do, the pvp is bad, the foundry is fun the first 3 times, the rest is just the same over and over again, is linear, the quest are ginding and boring.
    My advice is STAY AWAY FROM THIS GAME, looks nice but is not fun and is gonna try to milk you, FTP is a lie, like the cake.
  20. Jun 28, 2013
    Leveling characters, gameplay and graphics provide quite a nice experience. Apart from that, the gameplay gets boring pretty fast. The Pay-to-win aspect of the game is pretty minimal. I got everything I needed for 4 level 60 characters without spending a single dime. My biggest complaint about the game is the lack of end game content and how actually easy it is to clear all content so fast. Sure there will be expansions, but at the moment, the ever dull gameplay (although quite pleasing at first) and the unbalanced dungeon run rewards makes this title really good for a 1 week experience but not more. Expand
  21. Jul 22, 2013
    This is a decent game. I would give it a 6.5/10 if I were in the States with about 100ms latency. Unfortunately I am not and my latency is about 350-480ms. So my review is mainly for those who does not have great connection to the game.

Actually 350-480ms is not awful at all if the game engine was designed and polished properly. 350ms in NWO feels like 550ms in DDO and 900ms in
    GuildWars2. That is how bad the game engine is. Due to the semi-action combat system and poor latency compensation algorithm and game design, you will most likely get a very frustrating experience if you do not have a good connection. Still playable but you will not enjoy it as much.

Latency apart, this game does not feel like a D&D game. It offers nearly no character customization. So if you are expecting a D&D experience, this is probably not the game for you. I recommend DDO if D&D experience is what you are looking for.

Besides the "Foundry", this is just another MMO; a visually dated MMO.
  22. Oct 14, 2013
    I wanted to love this game and stayed through the 2nd big expansion. BUT...
    bugs are late to be fixed,
    cap is way to fast (really, this is the opposite of a grind),
    no auto route was fine until they started adding dailies, dungeons all are same with different pixels maze insane adds at end,
    'changes' to class abilities got old fast and devs dont seem concerned (as if they made the
    game for them and not the customer)
    Best gear ought to make your time in the mmo easier (not saying it should be easy)- but not here and if you go back to lower lvl to help someone it actually seems harder than your first time around,
    money grubbing... at these prices, I should have gone to Disneyland.
    They got me and what a waste. Just wish I could get the time and back to put into something that I can play for more than a few weeks.
  23. Nov 28, 2013
    This is mechanically sound ARPG crippled by redundant WOW features and horrible monetisation scheme.

Bugs that are well documented but never get fixed for months. Broken and not working character abilities. AH dupe that destroyed the economy. Goldsellers spam in chat like its Diablo 2. Terrible community, players that never say hi and leave without a word. Lockboxes gambling. P2W PVP
    with 2 maps ruined by the absence of matchmaking, constant leavers and players who have few thousand dollars worth of enchants thanks to aforementioned AH dupe. Itemshop prices that begin from 30$. Centered around whales: "You pay me 5$? Sorry but I don't think I want your money". Incredibly dull completely instanced PVE with all zones having absolutely the same structure and progression without any chance for exploration. Stay away from Neverwinter. Expand
  24. Jun 21, 2013
    Apart from a combat system that actually feels different from WoW, ToR, and LotRO. The game sports an awesome feature that I don't think I've seen in another MMO. User created dungeons and quest add infinite options for everyone on stories and adventures in this game, and while it may lack on character customization i think the endless adventures are more important. They are ultimately what will keep people engaged in the game. Expand
  25. Jaz
    Jun 21, 2013
    This game could have great graphics (characters, animations, environment) if it was released 5-10 years ago. This game could have been a great MMO to explore but is so full of instances. This game could have been a good F2P if not for its greedy cash shop. This game could have been less of a letdown if it did not use the title of Neverwinter, one of the best CRPGs ever a long time ago (never to come back i am afraid). PS Saving grace, The Foundry. Expand
  26. Dec 8, 2013
    The game does not have european servers, that means you will have 300+ ping. In combination with combat system that demands your quick reactions it means you wont evade anything, you wont be able to compete in PvP etc.

I do NOT recommend this game for anybody from central and eastern Europe.
  27. Aug 29, 2013
    I am not going to post any review this time, just some links, so you can see Neverwinter Online exploits and bugs with your own eyes (captured in instance "Malabog Castle"):
    bit.ly/1a18DSP http://bit.ly/17laXA7 |
    And my fav one Neverwinter Inception style: http://bit.ly/15zqtrs
    Enough? What about some serious modem/routers disconnects, directly caused by this game?

You've been warned.
  28. Sep 8, 2013
    This game can't decide if it wants to be a PVP focused battle arena game, or a PVE/role-playing game. In order to make the PVP "balanced" between the classes, all the classes that D&D fans know and love have been reworked into some homogeneous soup. Class diversity has been scrapped, and all classes are designed to "kill each other equally" making them boring to an extreme. The classic D&D rules are gone, and now leveling up entails selecting a tiny increases to marginal stats and cooldowns (1% damage increase here, 1% cooldown reduction there). No more role playing. In the end, this is a very average MMO, that ignores everything that made D&D in general (and Neverwinter Nights specifically) great. Expand
  29. Oct 25, 2013
    This has to be the buggiest game known to man. The developers don't seem to care a hoot about making this game fun to play. Very poor design overall and the execution is terrible. Needs a new owner/management.
  30. Oct 26, 2013
    Was a huge fan of the game while in beta...until beta became release-but-still-officially-beta-whenever-we-repeatedly-screw-up. The amount of exploits that made it to Live even though they were reported in beta (which really wouldn't have been that big of a deal were it not for the fact that everything revolves around Astral Diamond currency, thus lacing the entire aspect of the game with a heavy dose of greed; especially in PUGS where people would roll Need on a stale cracker if they could), shady business practices including offering "exclusive" pre-order packs during beta and then just selling the same packs under a different name when the game goes live, high Zen store pricing compared to other real-money currency MMO's, and the shadiest forum moderation team I've seen since when The Matrix Online first went live...all this combines to take away from the positive aspects of the game like it's combat system.

Like Cryptic's other games, Star Trek Online and Champions Online, I have a feeling it'll take a year or several before the negatives of the game get addressed and/or whittled down enough to let the positives truly shine. Which is a shame because the actual game is a fun ride to the level cap.

1. Oct 8, 2013
    As a D&D and Neverwinter Nights fan, I wanted to see what an MMO version offered, and I came away feeling that it accomplished its goals, if only for a month or so. It's like a single-player sandbox dungeon; when I reached what felt to be the proverbial end, it was time to move on.
  2. Sep 17, 2013
    Neverwinter is a disappointing MMO. There isn’t a lot of freedom for players to roam and it doesn’t re-imagine itself in the open world genre. For a free-to-play game it offers too little.
  3. Sep 6, 2013
    Neverwinter is one of the best free-to-play games this year, with its fluid combat, extensive amount of quests, and Foundry tool in which players can create their own adventures. Most importantly, premium points and items don't affect the game for those who choose to adventure on the free route. Role-playing fans owe themselves an extended journey to the world of Neverwinter.