6.5

1. Aug 12, 2012
    This is an excellent game for PC that plays native on Linux and windows both. It reminds me some of Unreal Tournament of years past but the sound and graphics are much better, and the characters move much more like real figures. I think the weapons are also better and the AI's are for sure much better.
    They did a lot of work into this game. It is an arena shooter, but that is what it was designed to be so I certainly can't fault it for that. I do have praise for the graphics, the sound, the AI's, and the fact that the developers took the time to port it over to Linux. Also, I have been involved in the IT computer industry since 1983 when we used PC-DOS or MS-DOS and the internet hadn't evolved yet, and I sure don't think this game should be bashed just for being an arena shooter. I do not work for or receive any compensation
    from the developers of this game.
  2. May 11, 2012
    Absolutely stunning FPS! Reminds me of the UT99 and Q3 Arena days. Brilliant, twitch game-play, and incredible graphics. For $10, it is one of the best deals out there right now. If you enjoy twitch shooters, this one is not to be missed!
  3. Aug 13, 2012
    Seriously guys? Are you kidding me?

Downrating the game because you can't run it on max settings. Downrating the game because it is SIMILAR to Quake. Downrating the game because it USED to have server issues? Righto, let's get started on my opinion on this game. It's great. It isn't just QUAKE. Sure there might be ELEMENTS taken from quake (e.g. The small maps, the twitch
    Seriously guys? Are you kidding me?

Righto, let's get started on my opinion on this game.

It's great. It isn't just QUAKE. Sure there might be ELEMENTS taken from quake (e.g. The small maps, the twitch shooting...) But does that mean that it is a clone of the critically acclaimed Quake III? The answer is NO. People do not REALISE that the CORE mechanics of the game a perfectly implemented. They FAIL to notice that the game is solid and instead blame their bad experience on multiplayer server issues and failure to "max out" the game. The gunplay is great. The game feels solid and it never gets boring. The Dynamic Mutators introduce a completely new concept to the arena and I can't count the times that I have laughed with my friends when we get our controls inverted, or we all teleport off the map.

The map design is also very well done, with some maps being small and easy to learn and with others being slightly larger but also very easy to adapt to.

I think this game is an example of just light hearted FPS fun. You're in Nexuiz, a 4v4 twitch shooter where you blow everything the f*** up and have fun while doing so.
  4. Aug 10, 2012
    At first I wasn't sure it it was gonna be good but it was a free week or whatever on steam so I checked it out. When I first got in it remined me a lot of halo and didn't have most of the mechanics that modern shooters have. This is a good thing. The gun play is extremely good. There are only 9 weapons but each one is very distinctly different. Also, only 2 modes but it doesn'tAt first I wasn't sure it it was gonna be good but it was a free week or whatever on steam so I checked it out. When I first got in it remined me a lot of halo and didn't have most of the mechanics that modern shooters have. This is a good thing. The gun play is extremely good. There are only 9 weapons but each one is very distinctly different. Also, only 2 modes but it doesn't matter, this game is simply about shooting eachother and thats why its fun. Also the most imteresting part is the dynamic mutators which will change how the game works. These can rage from being invisible to obtaining all weapons to dieing in 1 shot and being given the nex sniper railgun. This is definitely worth the buy if your computer can handle it, since it doesn't seems optimized at all. On minimum saettings it still was laggy even though this runs the same way a game like tf2 would. No destructible environments, no continuously changing textures, only 8 people and on minimum settings and IT STILL LAGGED! This game has been out for 2 years they need to optimize it! I can't find anything about this game that a game like tf2, which has absolutely no lag, doesn't have, yet mine can't handle it on minimum settings. I would say buy this, but make sure that your computer can run it. Expand
  5. May 14, 2012
    Ver nice fast shooter (twitch shooter). Like Quake 3 Arena /quake live, Unreal Tournament.
    For the new ones: like halo on steroids but better.
    Weapons: Lots of creative and special ones

Price: 10 â
  6. May 24, 2012
    Fast paced, fun, action-packed gameplay is what you can expect from Nexuiz, the only problem being the player base - or lack of it (although this is likely to be fixed soonish).

This game - as you may well already know - is an attempt to revive the old school FPS genre. It takes the core gameplay from games like Quake/Unreal Tournament and puts it in a super good-looking, vastly improved box, using dynamic mutators to get rid of any monotonous, grindy gameplay which some people thought was present in Quake due to a lack of progression.

As I said at the beginning, it does have the problem that it has a relatively small player base. The reason I say that this is likely to be fixed is that the developers intend to do some sort of marketing campaign (such as a free weekend) but wanted to wait until they had added a few more things to the game like dedicated severs (which they do now have) in order to ensure it's as successful as possible.

Overall, I would recommend this game to any and every old school arena FPS fan out there as an incredibly viable, cheap new alternative to games like Quake. I would also recommend this game to anyone who has never tried an arena FPS as things like strength allow newer players to have some feeling of success whilst learning the game, whilst hardcore veterans can utilise some of the more exotic mechanics of the mutators to devastating effect. I would not however, recommend this game to people who have tried and disliked arena FPS in the past as it is likely that not enough has changed to make you enjoy it.

P.S. I haven't had any issues with the games optimisation. I run it on a mid range PC and have had no issues. I can however see there being trouble for lower end computers.
  7. Jul 19, 2012
    I loved the game. Fast paced action, create your own levels with steam workshop and host your own servers (ideal for those wanting to play with friends only, casually, instead of joining servers where you compete with 24/7 players with no life, who beat the ... out of you in 2 secs).
    Definitely old school shooter. At USD$2,5.- at Steam, is simply awesome bang for the buck. ($7,48 four pack)
    Not sure if the DLC (USD$1,25 is needed for hosting your server, I bought them together.
    Even at the regular 10 bucks is a good buy.

1. Jul 30, 2012
    If you want to make an arena FPS, you can't do anything wrong. That's the lesson IllFonic learned after the release of Nexuiz on Steam. The game suffered from some huge problems in terms of matchmaking, lag and crashes since day one, and now it's very hard to even find a match.
  2. Jun 28, 2012
    Is it worth it to release a Quake 3 clone in 2012? I don't know. In fact, Nexuiz is doomed not because it lacks fresh ideas, but because it lacks people who want to play it.
  3. Jun 25, 2012
    Like Gotham City Imposters a few months ago, the component parts of Nexuiz are sound; the weapons and shooting good, and the "hook" of the mutators offers some variety but there just isn't the player base to make it worth checking out unless gunning down bots isn't a deal breaker. And it should be reported that unlike Gotham City Imposters, getting connected and staying connected to a match of Nexuiz was never a problem.