8.7

1. Nov 8, 2013
    One of the funniest game ever played...
    But there is too many bugs in gameplay and graphics is too poor
    let's hope there will be NOLF 3 in future with good graphics and gameplay
  2. Mar 4, 2015
    It baffles me to this day why this game is lauded so immensely , I'm on my second play-through and all I can say is it's a bitter disappointment, especially after the flawlessness of the first one. That one was a charming caper that had all the elements of a 60's spy movie: it had international intrigue, unforgettable characters, and witty humor. Elements that could have rivaled any BondIt baffles me to this day why this game is lauded so immensely , I'm on my second play-through and all I can say is it's a bitter disappointment, especially after the flawlessness of the first one. That one was a charming caper that had all the elements of a 60's spy movie: it had international intrigue, unforgettable characters, and witty humor. Elements that could have rivaled any Bond movie of it's day, albeit with a slightly feminine touch.

The second iteration just doesn't have the same feel, Cate is virtually unrecognizable and the script is lacking. There is hardly any attempt at the dry-wit comedy of the first one (Remember the criminal convos - especially the self psycho-analysis by one of the henchmen as to why he's a criminal , lol) and it quite literally never picks up...it falls flat on it's face without even 'hitting it's target'. Cate has lost all her charm and 'street smarts', and can hardly put a sentence together. It's like the developers decided to dumb down the character for reasons I can only guess at (maybe to appeal to a younger audience?) and instead of the spy diva that enchanted our CRT monitors , and was just so memorable and engaging, we are instead left with a bimbo with a no nonsense attitude and a desire to get the job done ....a one-trick pony. The same goes for Bruno, Mr.Jones and Armstrong....either the scriptwriters got lazy, or they decided to focus on different aspects of the game....

The game itself looks great , even to this day, especially with the widescreen patch. Textures are hi res and I'm really surprised at how well it's held up. The level design is somewhat lackluster though, with levels feeling confined and not as open-world as the first iteration. Santa's workshop has been plucked out completely, so you don't get to test the nifty gadgets before embarking on a mission. You also don't get to customize your weapon arsenal before loading a mission , but design choices have always been perplexing to me.

Lastly, I'll quote another review that kind of hit the nail on the head: No one lives forever "expanded the narrative capacity of the medium, the sequel is just a game". The first script would have given Ian Fleming a run for his money... unfortunately NOLF 2 was a step in the wrong direction, it failed to live up to the high lofty standards set by the first and will forever go down in my personal recollection as one of the worst sequels in the history of PC gaming.
  3. AnnChovi
    May 1, 2003
    Well, I hate many games, but this one was okay.
  4. GP
    Nov 5, 2002
    Graphics and sound are top notch. The loading time is a disgrace, i can feel my life wasting away as I wait for the damn thing to load, the enemies have good AI but they use them so badly, and they respawn. Bottom line: great game that they made annoying
  5. Feb 5, 2014
    From a sequel standpoint? It has done no wrongeth. The trouble with Cate Archer's character here, is lack of consistent substance that actually made her back-chatter reasonably charming and subsequently funny. Their seems to be a whole lot more tongue in cheek here, but to a degree that I found less endearing. It starts off with the campy flavor of Japan, accompanied by stealthilyFrom a sequel standpoint? It has done no wrongeth. The trouble with Cate Archer's character here, is lack of consistent substance that actually made her back-chatter reasonably charming and subsequently funny. Their seems to be a whole lot more tongue in cheek here, but to a degree that I found less endearing. It starts off with the campy flavor of Japan, accompanied by stealthily fighting all-female ninjas, and general espionage. When the plot starts rolling though, you might be winded by the tedious (and I might add somewhat linear and small) level design. Or the enemy A.I. being much less fun to actually engage in a shoot-out with, or most of the weapons being identical in nature and less usage of gadgets throughout and you may as well add that it doesn't bring anything new to the table when compared to its predecessor. The visuals have received a minor face-lift, but not much else has changed. The writing is certainly far less funny than the original and due to the pacing in-game, you may not have the patience to sit and listen to half the guards or enemies bang on and on until they hit punchline territory. What really bothered me though was the fact that after the first two chapters of the game, I began to dread shoot-outs. Color me stupid if this was the intent, but then in sections later on in the game, they practically force you into slow, cumbersome shootouts that are surprisingly not fun. Believe me, compared to shooting an unsuspecting guard with a silenced pistol, carrying his body to a shady area, and knowing that no one saw that is far more gratifying than seventy percent of the "scripted" shoot outs. Though I understand it to be "parody" its just not as funny or as satisfying as our original adventure with Cate Archer and U.N.I.T.Y. However, the truly miserable thing here, is the general laziness that carries you through till about chapter seven or eight. Its just not fun to play near the beginning, which is what the original didn't have any issue with. Its far too much "don't get spotted," Or "don't get caught," and all the while you just start thinking. "Wow I'm a patient person, but this is kind of boring." Their is delight fully charming Cate Archer from No One Lives Forever, and then theirs silent, boring, less charming, less funny Cate Archer from this sequel. Of course their are memorable moments of the game, but even Monoliths early work concentrated on making it enjoyable to curb stomp enemies with your bullet shoes. Something is just off about most of the action in the game, a lot of it also has some pretty tricky situations in levels that really just cannot be defended by anybody. Such as in some missions it asks of you to fulfill "optional" objectives. Are these spelled out in terms of how to fulfill them? No. It is kind of an issue though when a developer throws in a slight curve ball like a role playing game mechanic. Cate can "upgrade" certain traits, such as marksmanship or stealth, based on intelligence she founds through out missions, or by fulfilling all objectives, including optional ones and this is a problem. Some are just not worth doing, are hard to find, require a deeper analysis of a tiny linear level, or are just frustrating. You need some of these upgrades, should you play on any harder difficulties, but also to get past a certain troubling section that consists of a "chase sequence" on tricycle. Enemy A.I. goes from way to alert to absolutely stupid as well, having issues with ladders, not detecting Cate at all, being alarmingly good at detecting Cate from vastly ridiculous distances and so on. I'll stick with the first game, as it balances the camp, the parody, and the action a lot better than this one. Expand
  6. GodenP.
    Nov 5, 2002
    Amazing graphics and sound. The most tedious loading time EVER. The enemies just respawn, got annoying.
  7. JasonM.
    Oct 24, 2002
    Doesn't hold a candle to the original; too short, too tedious, and NO DEATHMATCH OR CTF. What were they thinking?
  8. Oct 29, 2016
    In the first game the missions were very different and funny. In addition I liked the 60s design. Now in the 2nd game such things are gone: the missions are all the same and there is no humour.
    The graphics is great, even today. If you have problems with the mouse acceleration, install mouse drivers and lower dpi. It is a bug with the engine, that is great beside of that.

1. If it sounds like NOLF2 is a lot like NOLF, and you're wondering why I'm complaining so bitterly, you have my sympathy. When I say they "gutted" NOLF2, I mean it, and I can back it up.
  2. A bloody good game... If you like first person shooters and have a sense of humour, the only other thing to stop you playing this game is the central role of a pink-suited woman. Are you man enough?
    Nearly flawless visuals and truly immersive sound make sure you’re having fun even when you’re not shooting.