7.5

1. Apr 2, 2013
    I once gave this game a rave review. Having been the first FPS/RTS hybrid I played it was a refreshing twist on a tired and mindless frag fest first person shooter landscape. But, having recently experienced the Natural Selection series the glaring weaknesses I found upon returning to this game hit me in the face like a sack of bricks. Most notably the ability of a commander to spam theI once gave this game a rave review. Having been the first FPS/RTS hybrid I played it was a refreshing twist on a tired and mindless frag fest first person shooter landscape. But, having recently experienced the Natural Selection series the glaring weaknesses I found upon returning to this game hit me in the face like a sack of bricks. Most notably the ability of a commander to spam the battlefield with hundreds of mass murdering turrets that shred through buildings and enemies alike. It creates a really restrictive style of gameplay where all the players are forced into one little area of the map. Mobility is highly restricted and it results in the commander having infinitely more influence over the outcome of a battle than the players actively fighting on it. It no longer becomes a tactical first person shooter, but rather a game of having to spend 10-15 minutes just standing in place as an Exo trying to destroy a thousand turrets faster than the enemy commander can build them. The graphics are still nice, the classes still feel perfectly balanced, and teamwork is extremely important (all reasons I gave it a high mark in my first review), but the turret spam turns fun matches into tedious grinds in the blink of an eye. And trust me. Getting hit in the face by the rocket turrets in this game is one of the least pleasant ways to die in a FPS. Its spam animation and fast time to kill will have you enraged. Expand
  2. Sep 28, 2011
    A fantastic mix of FPS/RTS genre that provides players with a lot of different classes and builds to tinker with. Nuclear Dawn isn't groundbreaking, but a solid shooter especially if you want to work as a team to succeed in winning.
  3. Apr 14, 2012
    Im fearful of real stinker games. I dont buy ANY game at full price, but I was tempted when I saw Nuclear Dawn on a Steam daily deal for $7, a deal almost too good to pass up. I still read reviews even before buying cheap games; some the negative comments I found here almost stopped me from buying it, but I thought "on the otherhand, its so cheap, the risk of it sucking royally is not anIm fearful of real stinker games. I dont buy ANY game at full price, but I was tempted when I saw Nuclear Dawn on a Steam daily deal for $7, a deal almost too good to pass up. I still read reviews even before buying cheap games; some the negative comments I found here almost stopped me from buying it, but I thought "on the otherhand, its so cheap, the risk of it sucking royally is not an issue." I caved and bought it. Indeed, I have been plesantly surprised by the game; I wont say its the best game of the year, but I will say it is a solid FPS/RTS hybrid. I want to address some of the criticisms that almost stopped me from buying the game in the first place; I have found them to be only half true or completely false. Someone said something negative about the accuracy of the guns. I find the accuracy quite acceptable: every gun fires accurately during short controlled bursts but start to spread during full-auto, exactly how guns really behave. I don't know about you, but I like that accuracy model; it means you can still get long range head shots with a lowly SMG or pistol if you take the time to aim thru the ironsights, firing in short bursts. I just wanted to clarify that because when I read that comment about the accuracy, it gave me the impression the accuracy of the guns were like that f-ing assault rifle from Halo 1, where the first bullet in a short burst NEVER went down the middle of the crosshairs. Its not like that at all people :D I promise! There are no realistic ballistics tho: every bullet is fast as a laser and doesnt drop due to gravity. Another criticism was not being able to adjust your class until you die. Its true that you cannot open the class selection screen while alive UNTIL your commander builds an armoury (since it's a pretty important building, it wont be long until he does build it). You can then go into the armoury and use it to open the class selection screen and change your class instantly WITHOUT HAVING TO SUICIDE like in other games *cough* Battlefield *cough*. Sometimes, if your commander isnt clever enough to build an armoury near the frontlines, it means you may have to trek back to the HQ base to change classes, and you may just say f-that and suicide anyway, but I think I made my point and countered that half-true statement mentioned earlier. Someone else criticised the balance of the game, where one team can reach critical mass and completely stomps the other in a killfest slaughterhouse. It is true that this happens, but I want to make an analogy to another game to highlight that this is not a balance issue as it was suggested by that reveiwer. The game is an RTS hybrid, meaning that control of resources is crucial to winning. The analogy: consider Starcraft... say a player manages to expand to 5 bases and keeps his opponent on only 2 bases by out manouvering him and generally out playing him; that match would probably descend into a killfest slaughter of every remaining asset the 2 base player had until he surrended or died completely. I ask you: is such a killfest a balance issue!? I dont think so, Id say the other guy just got outplayed. The same logic applies to this game, and even to Battlefield or every other FPS game that revolves around controlling strategic map locations: the team that controls most of the map is more than likely to win the match. Its not a balance issue, its a legitimite game mechanic. Anyway, with proper countering tactics it is still possible to beat back a superior enemy knocking at the front door of your main base in Nuclear Dawn; not likely, granted, but it is possible. About the bugs: I did find the odd user interface bug such as the perk (or gizmo as its called in Nuclear Dawn) selection menu not closing properly sometimes, but none of that is a show-stopper in my opinion, as I encoutered similar UI bugs in both Modern Warefare and Bad Company. As for the game being full of bugs, I don't see it that way. Maybe some of you guys could post specific problems instead of a vague comment that clarifies nothing and doesnt even seem true now that Ive played the game myself. Now that Ive preached about the game enough, I want to talk about a bug that did piss me off. The bug happens when I shoot from behind certain objects: the empty air at the edge the object will stop my bullets even though my crosshairs are clear of any obstacle! It is infuriating when it happens, as I usually get killed immediately after for giving away my position without killing my target. Another complaint of mine is not being able to go prone or lean, which are basic FPS control movements that should be available in EVERY first person game. I mean, Im essentially a person in the game world, why cant I move like a person actually would? A person doesn't simply crouch when shot at... he hits the f-ing deck man! Developers please get with the program and include lean and prone control in your f-ing games Its 2012 ffs! Score: all in all, a sturdy 6 points out of 10 Expand
  4. Oct 25, 2011
    Quick review: A decent game with a neat premise. RTS element, is minor but important to gameplay. FPS is a standard experience, does not bring anything new to the table but supplies all the standards people have become used too. Graphics are above average and environment has received alot of detail. Gameplay mechanics are solid with very few bugs. This game is a good buy for its price.Quick review: A decent game with a neat premise. RTS element, is minor but important to gameplay. FPS is a standard experience, does not bring anything new to the table but supplies all the standards people have become used too. Graphics are above average and environment has received alot of detail. Gameplay mechanics are solid with very few bugs. This game is a good buy for its price.

Detailed Review: This game tries to combine what many RTSers want, a RTS/FPS. The game does not do this, however, it does not claim too. This is a FPS with some RTS elements to it. Such as the majority of people are not going to play as the commander, who builds defensive structures, spawn points, and a simple tech tree. It has a top down view which you can angle and change, and a simple but intuitive design to make it easy to work. As for the FPS, there are several classes which fulfill different battlefield roles and the games style requires teamwork and class variety if your team is to succeed. Some interesting choices of class are the scout who can become invisible, your classic assault class or the hulking armor tank with big guns. Each class has a role and plays slightly differently, enough so where specializations will take place but not enough to create the need for only one. There are a selection of weapons from each class, and unlocks which players receive by leveling up their profile and what the commander unlocks through the tech tree. The gameplay is solid, and fairly straightforward; capture this point and recive resources. Commander spends resources to build buildings and upgrades which the team can use to try and get an advantage. Overall this game is worth playing, and if you like the nitch worth buying. Overview: Pros: Good grahpics, Good sound, Refreshing gameplay; hybrid of RTS and FPS, Leveling system, some customization, detailed maps (both 3D and 2D). Good UI system; built in voice chat and communication structure and varied classes.
    Cons: Not as polished as some other shooters such as BF3 or COD but they are not in the same genre so comparisons may not be fair. No campaign. Replay value is medium. Personal Opinion: I was slightly disapointed with the game, I was hoping for a larger role of the RTS side but found it not to my tastes. This game did not appeal to me much after I played it for several hours. The reasons is because I am a veteran RTS player and strong FPS and this game did not sate either of my lusts. This is not to say the game is bad, in fact its one of the better games I've played for some time. It just did not do what I had hoped it would when I first heard that this Hybrid was coming out.

Hope this is helpful for anyone looking to pick up the game.
  5. Feb 29, 2012
    Decent for $5, paid more? Well you better LOVE fps-rts hybrids.
    Graphics are typical for a modern source mod, they get the job done but are not impressive.
    There's a lot of bugs, a mix of bad engine and inexperienced developers breaks entire rounds or forces players to reconnect, kill themselves, or restart. The developers left out vehicles, they're clearly in the engine and SDK, but
    Decent for $5, paid more? Well you better LOVE fps-rts hybrids.
    The developers left out vehicles, they're clearly in the engine and SDK, but removed, probably due to the engine being terrible and inexperience, hopefully with all the money they've made they'll improve it without DLC patches.
  6. Dec 16, 2011
    I'm a huge fan of past games in the RTS/FPS genre (Savage, Natural Selection) so I was really excited when I saw this one come up for a free weekend on Steam. Unfortunately, while the game has a lot of potential, it's still missing a lot of the basics needed to be more than a novelty.

- The very short tutorial has almost nothing to do with the actual game. I was lost for hours trying to figure out what was going on aside from trying to kill guys on the other team. And yes, I realize I can go watch YouTube videos made by fanboys... that isn't the point.
    - The shooting feels sloppy and inaccurate. When I scored kills, it felt more like luck than skill.
    - Some of the weapons make no sense and are hard to use.
    - Maps are too large for the number of players the game supports... be prepared to spend a LOT of time running.

The groundwork for a great game is here, but they need to spend more time on getting the core experience right (shooting, movement, an actual tutorial) before this game is ready for prime time.
  7. May 21, 2013
    Nuclear Dawn is nothing more than an above average game. It attempts to mix FPS and RTS elements and in the process of doing so, it spread it's development resources too much between the two and ultimately failed to deliver a compelling experience on either end. At first, I really enjoyed Nuclear Dawn, but the more I played it, the more i realized how lackluster it really is. The gameNuclear Dawn is nothing more than an above average game. It attempts to mix FPS and RTS elements and in the process of doing so, it spread it's development resources too much between the two and ultimately failed to deliver a compelling experience on either end. At first, I really enjoyed Nuclear Dawn, but the more I played it, the more i realized how lackluster it really is. The game chugs at times, and even on high end machines you'll feel your framerate lag while firing your weapon which makes it a real chore to enter combat. There are also certain classes that are far superior to others and RTS strategies that are sure to win every match. This effectively eliminates any attempt at player creativity and enjoyment. The lack of online players and servers end up making this game really not worth the money. Expand
  8. Sep 29, 2013
    Multiplayer fps game, with strategic elements. The strategy part falls short of what could have made this into a great game. Too simple and not enough depth. Atleast compared to Natural Selection 2, which is far better than this. All in all though, it's a decent game. The FPS part of it is fun, and have some nice classes and traits. Nothing new but it works Low server population makes meMultiplayer fps game, with strategic elements. The strategy part falls short of what could have made this into a great game. Too simple and not enough depth. Atleast compared to Natural Selection 2, which is far better than this. All in all though, it's a decent game. The FPS part of it is fun, and have some nice classes and traits. Nothing new but it works Low server population makes me dump it a grade. If it's on sale, and u want to try something less fancy than NS2, then why not. Expand
  9. Nov 17, 2012
    Nuclear Dawn is a class-based FPS game with RTS-elements and a mixture of Natural Selection, Enemy Territory: Quake Wars and Battlefield 2142 where the "Consortium" dukes it out against the "Empire" on approximately 7 maps. Each time starts with a small base and there are several resource points that have to be captured in order to generate resources so that the commander, whom is chosenNuclear Dawn is a class-based FPS game with RTS-elements and a mixture of Natural Selection, Enemy Territory: Quake Wars and Battlefield 2142 where the "Consortium" dukes it out against the "Empire" on approximately 7 maps. Each time starts with a small base and there are several resource points that have to be captured in order to generate resources so that the commander, whom is chosen by opting-in at the beginning of the battle, can expand his base and hopefully be more tactical than the opposing commander. This is also the game's weakside: if a commander is horrible at what he's doing, the team will surely suffer a frustrating loss. On the other hand, being a commander is very exciting and feels like a huge responsibility, it adds much more depth to what would otherwise be a rather bland FPS game with very little customisation for players. You can choose the arch-type of soldier you wish to play such as the Exo (A tank with massive amounts of health), support (Who can be divided into a medic and an engineer), a scout that can cloak and perform instant take-downs and the Assault that can spot cloaked units and generally comes with very accurate weaponry. Unfortunately,there is no way to customize kits. The engineer will always have a shotgun and the medic will always have a subpar SMG. The game also suffers from a series of bugs that have never been fixed, the most annoying one being the reloading bug where you suddenly find yourself unable to reload your firearm until you switch it around. This can happen up to 3 times in a row if you're unlucky. Given that the game has not seen a patch for over 6 months, I think it is safe to assume these problems will never be fixed and the server count seems to be at an all-time low, with only 2 European servers out of 6 actually being in use. It is obvious that this game hasn't got very long to go any more which is a shame because the maps aren't bad looking and neither are the graphics, the guns feel good when you're firing them and the controls respond well in most cases. It's a very good FPS but its release is anachronistic; the game mechanics used would have fit well in the Battlefield 2142-era where it would have been hailed as a highly innovative and engaging game. For a 2011-release, it's just too old-school but I'd still recommend it if it's for sale. There are still plenty of good rounds to be had and the people playing, save the slow-learners, seem to be know what they're doing and are generally pleasant to be around. I have found absolutely no signs of cheating, I think the game just isn't interesting enough for people to troll because of the low player count. Highly recommended for if you're a fan of the aforementioned titles. (and don't forget you can practice commanding by playing a game with bots!) Expand
  10. AWG
    Aug 1, 2013
    A FPSRTS mashup where the FPS part is good (not perfect, but good) and the RTS one is... well, unnecessary. Fact is without the RTS part the whole game would be an unnecessary, plain FPS so in the end it's very hard not to consider Nuclear Dawn quite a forgettable game.

So in the post-Call of Duty/Battlefield/Team Fortress 2 world of today, Nuclear Dawn will not have an easy time finding a safe place, not only because of the risk it has taken as a genre combination, but mainly because of the work that the FPS side still needs.
    Attractive combination of first person shooter with real time strategy delivers balanced action and tactical parts and offers a good alternative to other shooters. [Dec 2011]
  3. Nov 27, 2011
    It's unfortunate to see Nuclear Dawn suffer from such simple errors, as underneath these tiny flaws is an above-average game with some new, interesting ideas at its core. If you're playing with friends or get lucky with a random server, it can be a lot of fun - but often that's not the case and as a result Nuclear Dawn doesn't quite earn the recommendation it's otherwise capable of receiving.