7.6

1. Sep 26, 2011
    Nuclear Dawn is an awesome game for both two totally different groups of gamers to come together and enjoy. The FPS is a fast paced class combat game that pays homage to the likes of Team Fortress and Battlefield. The RTS is unforgiving, forcing a balance between your own tactics with the strengths of your human units on the ground. Loads of different tactics and styles to play to choose from which makes ND a great game to pick up with your gaming buddies.

Support is already excellent, the developers promise a ton of updates and that they will always be free. In short, the â
  2. Sep 27, 2011
    I think mostly fair opinion is:

"Long time gamer here. I have played most of the titles in the BF series as well as a host of other shooters, though I don't particularly care for the CoD franchise.

ND is a welcome entry into the pantheon of online shooters. I haven't tried commander yet, as I have been exploring the classes, mostly medic/sniper. Solid visuals (though not mind-blowingly
    impressive), gameplay, and pacing make this one well-worth your time if you are a fan of team-based, tactical gameplay.

It takes a while to get used to the maps and become acquainted with all of the structures and what they do, but the interface is quite slick and, more importantly, useful. It would be nice, however, to have more info on how the game works than the brief tutorial vids offer, but there is also info available in this forum and elsewhere that will do the trick.

I am having a blast so far. If you're on the fence, I would say go for it...the game is only $25.00, and it's easily one of the more innovative and entertaining titles to come out in some time." (c) Mike
  3. Oct 3, 2011
    This game is absolutely fantastic, so long as you don't expect to kick ass as soon as you get in the game (as the two bad reviews state they thought they should). Also, it's fantastic if you absolutely hate playing games where anyone can do just that, and love playing games where it REQUIRES teamwork. That's right, an online multiplayer game that YOU WILL NOT DO WELL IN unless you work together.
  4. Sep 28, 2011
    While not as in-depth as many other multiplayer games, this indie title is still worth your money. The maps are surprisingly detailed and sound is great. The RTS element fits in perfectly and the gameplay is spot on. One gripe, is the problem with a few bugs but they are minor and don't get in the way of what is a great game.
  5. TeT
    Oct 5, 2011
    Nuclear Dawn is just awesome! Never seen a game before both fps and rts game-play in one package, and forces you to work together with your complete team! The game is built around Valve's source engine, it's like playing Left 4 Dead 2... But serious i did not expect the smooth graphics of this game, it's really good! If you like to work together, buy! If you love to game as an individual, don't buy! Expand
  6. Sep 30, 2011
    Nuclear Dawn brings something new to the gaming field and as an avid Battlefield player I can only say that I love what they have done so far with the game, finally something new and refreshing and worth the small amount of money it costs. As announced by the developers the game will get lots of updates a development kit and AI later so there is lots of potential here for a new star game to be born! Expand
  7. Oct 3, 2011
    This game is a hidden GEM! if you like strategy games like C&C or FPS games or MMO/FPS games, and especially if you enjoy both.. you MUST try... if you enjoy communication and teamwork PAY OFF and be easy to join ad-hoc basis and work together and be rewarded for it .. this is THE GAME to play. I certainly recommend this game to try.. the poster on steam maybe a bit cheesy and not doing the game justice.. i randomly decided to try it and I have to say past 2 weeks have been VERY entertaining. one of best games I have ever tried I have to say. Need more players and more recognition for such great achievement I beleive. maybe the low price point puts it away from where it should be and some just see it as a "cheap" game but best 23$ I have spent in a LONG LONG time!! Enjoy and hope to see you in game:) S! Potthead Expand
  8. Oct 6, 2011
    Nuclear Dawn is a breath of fresh air in a market now clogged with generic team based multiplayer shooters. While some will certainly gripe that it isn't a clone of the latest Call of Duty game, it is still a very solid title. In fact, I would go so far as to say that its not feeling the need to copy someone else is a selling point. I also am apparently in the minority being glad to see the Source engine used in Nuclear Dawn. While the physics portion of the engine isn't really showcased it is noticeable when using grenades. Aim low with them because they will bounce and roll a few yards after landing.

Bugs are there, but as others have said it's nothing that really breaks the game, and honestly they're more minor and generally less numerous than a lot of triple A titles that have been coming out like New Vegas and Crysis 2. Interwave also promises that not only will these bugs be patched, but future content will be added periodically and will always be free.

But I think it's finally time to touch on the gameplay, because frankly that's what I think makes this game a really good buy. I was really dubious that an RTS element could be added to a team shooter but InterWave hit the bullseye. Standing alone, the class based shooting is above average given the genre and how polluted it has gotten, but the addition of the commander role to each team adds something truly brilliant to the experience. Each team votes in a commander (and out depending on how good a job is being done) and that commander's job is to support their team by researching upgrades and extending forward spawn points and turrets to help their team capture and control resource points. These resources in turn allow the commander to build further and the game is won by the team that manages to push all the way into their enemies base and destroy their command bunker.

Both factions play differently enough for their to be a preference, but similar enough for their to be a balance. Small differences like how the power grid is extended make for interesting tactical choice differences for the commander, while not necessarily affecting the FPS players.

Finally, The system is incredibly ballanced in that a team can't win if only the commander or only the players are doing well, it requires a tactical group effort to maintain an advantage and seize victory because if the shooters aren't doing well the commander doesn't have resources to build, and if the commander isn't doing his job then the shooters have less support going into firefights, putting them at a disadvantage.

The bottom line here is, if you want a team shooter game where you can be 'the hero' and try to do everything by yourself this game is not for you. But if you, like myself, want to be a part of team and share victory or defeat working together with other players then I highly suggest you give this a try.

As a fore note, this is an excellent game for use with a headset. You don't need one if you're not feeling chatty, as the other players who do have them do a pretty good job of announcing what they need help with; whether that be backup capturing a point or even the commander asking an engineer to repair a structure. (and there are a good number of players who do have headsets.) Text chat is an alternative but in my experience it just gets you killed.
  9. Oct 5, 2011
    Awesome game! Needs a lot of team work to win but a very fun game style that I have not seen before. Great for quick 15-30 minute shoot up or a 2 hour strategy sit in. Definitely even better when you use tactics with friends, but very cool when people online come and work together.
  10. Oct 11, 2011
    This game is pretty awful; it requires you to work together, features a learning curve resulting in new players going RAMBO dying a lot, involves strategy, and has balanced unlockable "perks", rather than forcing you to grind levels in order to stand a chance. Worst of all is, you need to play with those RTS geeks...
    Yeah, imagine the horror!

On a more serious note, I've so far enjoyed
    this game. Although not entirely bug-free, the FPS/RTS implementation is thought out extraordinarily well and the developers actually care about community input, which shows in their bug tracker.

The only thing that bugs me, is the lack of a proper tutorial mode, which will fortunately be added in an upcoming patch.
  11. Oct 16, 2011
    Nuclear Dawn offers a fast action packed class based shooter that will engage players who enjoy games like Team Fortress, Battlefield, Day of Defeat, etc. The RTS component of ND (which is only playable by 1 player on each team, the randomly elected commander) offers up tactical scenarios that are more challenging and un-predictable than other strategy games.

The strange thing about
    Nuclear Dawn is that possibly the most frustrating part of the game (well, the only game mode that is available at the moment) is also what becomes the most satisfying part. The commander has to learn to take care of the FPS troops on the ground to gain their trust and loyalty, so that they follow orders and steamroll the enemy according to his or her tactics.

I'm giving this game a 10 because, whilst I don't feel like it is the perfect iteration of this hybrid genre, I definitely believe that with community feedback and a few patches Nuclear Dawn will mark a significant turning point in the niche of the genre and market that it appeals to. InterWave have promised the addition of better more interactive tutorials, AI players and commander controllable AI squads, new weapons, research, structures, and game modes in the weeks and months to come. By all accounts, the developers are offering the 'service' of an expansive game with a long life, no doubt drawn from the influence of Valve.

InterWave has a lot to learn but have a great attitude toward game development and their customer's opinions. Definitely one to pick up if you're a supporter of indies... and definitely one to watch if you're a fan of Valve.
  12. Oct 19, 2011
    Nuclear Dawn hits the nail on the head in this small hybrid genre of game. A smooth well designed and well tested game that has clearly had a lot of polish (especially after the month of public bug fixes in their open beta). The game runs smoothly and is well balanced, especially when you consider how different some of the weapons and structures are on each side. You can jump in and enjoy the game just like any other FPS, but it rewards you time and time again with surprising hidden new features. The game's biggest flaw is a lack of interactive tutorials, which the developers have already announced that they are working on. Expand
  13. Nov 7, 2011
    Using the Left 4 Dead 2 engine that run so smoothly on my computer (2007 iMac), the FPS reminds me of a Battlefield game... the most expansive maps I've seen in a Steam powered game. The strategy of having a commander on your team playing a RTS style game is a unique aspect to a FPS game. Nuclear Dawn is a great game.
  14. Oct 19, 2011
    I love this game. Its so very hard to get to grips with- has a very steep learning curve- but once you get off the bottom rungs of the ladder its oh so addictive and satisfying. An awesome mix of strategic decision making and fast shooter action. HIGHLY recommend everyone give it a try!
  15. Nov 13, 2011
    Nuclear Dawn!
    I loved it when I only saw the pictures.
    A battlefield where commanders build their buildings and soldiers getting resources for him.
    My score would be a ten if more ppl played this game. Now it are only 2 full servers of 32 players max!
    Hey listen! This is a new genre! Buy it to support it's development!
  16. Dec 18, 2011
    Game is similar to that of Savage by S2Games for sure. Id play for 30-40 for this, well worth the $12 I spent. Haven't experienced any bugs as of yet, seems to be very polished. VOIP system is amazing and very useful. Game def. has a good but different feel to it. Team play in this game is essential and forced in many ways which is very good for an FPS game.
  17. Dec 18, 2011
    Giving Nuclear Dawn a 10 for effort. It's an indie game, but it's got what counts: great gameplay and a positive attitude. The devs actually listen to and continue to improve this title. It can be frustrating at times to play as you are only as good as your commander and/or your team. Teamwork counts for soooo much here. A refreshing change from the typical 'squad based' game that devolves into people "ramboing" around the map winning on their own while ignoring what everyone else is doing. If you like teamwork based games, you'll probably actually enjoy this title. I was pleasantly surprised trying it on the free weekend, and purchased it as a result. Ignore the low critic review scores, I say look more closely at the player reviews. Expand
  18. Apr 14, 2012
    This game contains a wonderful FPS element and the commander role fits seemlessly. And I mean, this game is really fun. I mean really fun! Totally worth it, the players are all so professional and nice, there is not a CoD brat to be found. Great game :)
  19. Mar 7, 2012
    I honestly can't believe this is a Source engine based game--it's so polished! I'm really enjoying the concept on this one. Each team elects a single commander who controls all the RTS game elements like placing turrets and other typical support structures. The rest of the team fights FPS style and carries out objectives laid out by the commander with class based characters. It really plays well if you have two teams with expert commanders. A good mix of character skills make this quite a fun experience.

This is quite possibly the best integration of Real Time Strategy with First Person Shooting that I have played. Highly recommend.
  20. Apr 12, 2012
    Love the game, combines FPS and RTS and the small studio behind it is doing their best every single month to update the game with more features and bug fixes over and over. Can only become better and better over time.
  21. Dec 1, 2011
    This game is a much needed breath of fresh air that has a very faithful fan base. Players cooperate well and talk on headsets, not in every game but its there. It does not take long to learn all the basics and it's a fun learning process that rewards with a little patience.Although a few bugs that still need to be sorted out but the devs have been very engaging in this since beta testing was done. Updated regularly and steady player activity. This game will be a favorite for many to come. Expand
  22. Dec 18, 2011
    This game is like Battlefield 2 with Towers. That's the best way to describe it I guess. I think it is highly overlooked by the media and players and deserves way more recognition. Finally a good game beside all that military / realistic crap we get nowadays. It cannot and does not want to compete with Battlefield or Call of Duty. But, it is still good. It could use more weapons and more unlocks in general, just for the variety but I don't feel like that I am missing too much. It is fun, it can be intense and when you think you just won, the enemy can turn the tide of the battle and come back to kick your sorry a*** if your commander fails to see the weak points of his makings. But, for people like me that dislike BF or CoD, this is a more than worthy alternative. It is also designed in Source Engine which makes it run smooth. Granted, it has some minor bugs and problems, but nothing game breaking so far after 22 hours playing it. Buy it! Expand
  23. Dec 18, 2011
    The latest addition of a commander tutorial is just what this game needed, moving it from the category of "confusing and frustrating" into "a blast to play, win or lose". Whether you like the strategic gameplay of the gods-eye commander, or being the linchpin of a base assault on foot, or even support and spec-ops, moving quietly around, doing their jobs without attracting attention; this game has a role for you to enjoy. This is what Natural Selection wished it could be, back in the day. Hopefully, the free weekend on Steam will draw in the numbers of players this game will need to survive and thrive. Give it a shot! Expand
  24. Jan 28, 2013
    Nuclear Dawn is a very good RTS/FPS hybrid,especially for its price.Its graphics aren't the best but they are good for an indie game.As for the FPS aspect of the game.It is a fast paced shooter inspired by Team Fortress 2 but more strategic and more serious.There is a class system with 4 classes and with some different builds for each class.You also get a new perk each time you level up.Now As for the RTS aspect of the game.When you are a commander your role is to build some structures to help your team.I think the game is awesome and especially the class system.It is certainly worth your money. Expand
  25. Apr 6, 2012
    My favorite FPS of all time. It's an incredible team based FPS with strategical elements. When other games fail on hitboxes and gun damage/accuracy balance, Nuclear Dawn prevails. This is the first game I've played that actually depicts shotguns properly, and even the sidearm is effective. Everything is balanced, and no class is overpowered when pitted against other classes. The exo isn't even overpowered with the incredible amount of health he has, because bullets in Nuclear Dawn actually do damage. I've loved this game since the beta and I likely always will. Expand
  26. dak
    Dec 21, 2011
    Nuclear Dawn is a great combination of dynamic gameplay with a rich tactics possibilities where coordination and cooperation mean a lot. For both, infantry and a commander. Sure, it's not flawless â
  27. Dec 27, 2011
    Perfect mix of an RTS and FPS. The graphics aren't top notch, but if you ever wondered what Battlefield and Command and Conquer would be like merged into one game this would be it. Huge focus on team play as well!!
  28. Jan 6, 2012
    Very good and entertaining game, looks like Battlefield, but the Commander feature changes the gameplay to a whole new level, making gameplay different everytime and increases the replayability.
  29. Feb 7, 2012
    Nuclear Dawn is a rare original game, combining the best of strategic teamplay FPS with a team commander who has to help the entire team and build base and plans to a smart strategy. It is a solid game with regular updates and this week a new map. it is just launching and that is good. i like this game allot.
  30. Gu5
    Mar 12, 2012
    The is quite good... I would give it 82-85%... The playerbase could be better and there are some things that aren't finished. Further class modifications would be nice too.
  31. Jun 28, 2013
    More like an 8.6 (gave it a 10 to attempt to offset some of the "10 minutes played" crowd reviews). At first play, it's not hard to understand why so many negative reviews were posted about this game. Sluggish movement, mediocre graphics, balance issues, low TTK, etc etc. If you can get past all that and into the actual gameplay, then I'm sure you'll fall head over heels for this game. Why? Teamplay, several classes (4+ when you factor in the subclasses) to choose from, RTS aspects... just to name a few. Class is kind of self-explanatory and the counter-class concept works pretty well (ex: Exo assault stealth exo, etc). Teamplay is kind of required in this game, if there's no communication going on between members or more importantly, between the infantry and the commander, then likelihood is that your team is going to lose. But it's this communication that makes this game so great. Picture this: You and your teammates are on the front lines advancing forward when all of a sudden you hear the crash of enemy machine gun fire. Two of your men are now lying dead in the alleyway and the bullets are still pouring in. Can't move forward so you phone the commander for support, hoping to hell that he sends something in time because the machine gunners are edging in closer, a ricochet just barely missing your head. Less than a minute letter a turret package drops from the skies and deploys, cutting down the one of the machine gunners and sending the rest of their team into cover as you charge forward and rain hellish fire on their retreat. I don't know about you guys, but I live for this kind of gameplay. It's true that your success is dependent on the commander's abilities but the reverse is true too, creating a fun symbiotic relationship that makes it all the more exciting when you get a good matchup.

TLDR: This game is freakin' brilliant. Get it. ND developers, find a way to scale game to the size of Planetside 2 and take the gaming world to a whole new level :D
  32. Dec 13, 2013
    Nuclear Dawn- Yes, I would recommend it. I enjoy the large amount of strategy and the variety of challenges you face as a commander, and I will admit it gets pretty challenging... The terrain somewhat fits the theme( post apocalyptic) but could use a bit of brushing up with the consideration of the actual effects of a nuclear war.

I do love playing, but if I were to find something just
    as solid, I might consider changing favors. To all my friends-get it. Expand
  33. Feb 26, 2014
    I recently got this game, a CS beta vet, through 1.6. This game is CS with RTS. It blows my mind this community is so small. All the updates to this game have made it one of most enjoyable experiences for me in FPS so far. Its a no brainer to grab it for 2.50 on a steam community sale, but if you are looking for something solid to play with a dedicated small group of loyal vets, jump in. They are willing to show you the ropes and keep this community growing and the game enjoyable.

I also like the idea that these developers are supported.. Check it out!

So in the post-Call of Duty/Battlefield/Team Fortress 2 world of today, Nuclear Dawn will not have an easy time finding a safe place, not only because of the risk it has taken as a genre combination, but mainly because of the work that the FPS side still needs.
    Attractive combination of first person shooter with real time strategy delivers balanced action and tactical parts and offers a good alternative to other shooters. [Dec 2011]
  3. Nov 27, 2011
    It's unfortunate to see Nuclear Dawn suffer from such simple errors, as underneath these tiny flaws is an above-average game with some new, interesting ideas at its core. If you're playing with friends or get lucky with a random server, it can be a lot of fun - but often that's not the case and as a result Nuclear Dawn doesn't quite earn the recommendation it's otherwise capable of receiving.