Omerta: City of Gangsters PC

4.8

1. Apr 5, 2013
    I expected more from Omerta, riding on the expectations of some of Kalypso's previous games, such as Tropico. However, although my initial impressions were good, I soon realized how repetitive and laborious the game as a whole can be.

I found multiplayer to be not up to par, the combat system felt oddly bugged, favoring the A.I. in some situations. Also, the thing which bugs me most, and perhaps many other people too, was the price tag of this game.

£30-40 for a game which had a play time of around 6-7 hours (before boredom kicks in), along with repetitive gameplay and features rehashed from other games (specifically FREE flash games), Omerta just didn't cut it for me.

Overall, although it was initially a blast, it quickly deteriorated, and it has been a while since I have even looked at it in my Steam library.
  2. Feb 16, 2013
    Aww... too bad. I was hoping for X-Com meets Gangland. Instead, this game just makes my stomach hurt. I'm going to go take an Omerta and wipe my Kalypso. Enjoy my money more than I enjoyed your game guys!
  3. Mar 15, 2013
    This game is very bad, do not take it! Reasons: it does not show up correctly, how to play and do something funky. But we have a good retro feel. But it still sucks. One of the worst game in which I played.
  4. Oct 28, 2013
    Originally I gave this game a 3/10, stating how I felt that, "Each mission is a series of repetitive tasks, simple as that. While you perform these tasks they will try to piece in little bits of story and nothing really ever changes from board to board." And then I finished the review by stating, "Now I will not say this game is absolute junk, but for the price I paid, I was expectingOriginally I gave this game a 3/10, stating how I felt that, "Each mission is a series of repetitive tasks, simple as that. While you perform these tasks they will try to piece in little bits of story and nothing really ever changes from board to board." And then I finished the review by stating, "Now I will not say this game is absolute junk, but for the price I paid, I was expecting something much more impressive, or at the very least slightly impressive."
    Now, those complaints still persist with me. This game's "takeover" gameplay is extremely tedious, imo, and I still feel that this is an overpriced game for its content. However, giving the game a second chance after its free update, I found myself enjoying the game much more. The strategic combat, story and theme are all pretty refreshing and earn the game a higher score than 3/10.
    Specific Cons: Missions and map takeover becomes extremely tedious and drawn out. Game is overpriced. Would be a 8/10 if it were approximately 20 bucks.
  5. Feb 2, 2013
    Don't waste your time It's ok but hey there are to many great games to play So i don't recomend you this game if you haven't finished new DMC
  6. Jul 30, 2013
    Omerta is an average game that is fun if you get in on sale. It has an x-com style combat system (though not nearly as extensive in terms of variability and combat options). The meta game gets a bit redundant over time, though the recent additions of sandbox mode and other small improvements has increased re-playability somewhat.
  7. Feb 2, 2013
    I pre-ordered this game on impulse, and I have got to say I'm not really disappointed. It is an old school style turn-based game, with specific perks and powers available to each character upon leveling up. If you don't like turn based combat, do not get this game, you will hate it. To be completely honest, the single player campaign is hard to get through. I've only done about twoI pre-ordered this game on impulse, and I have got to say I'm not really disappointed. It is an old school style turn-based game, with specific perks and powers available to each character upon leveling up. If you don't like turn based combat, do not get this game, you will hate it. To be completely honest, the single player campaign is hard to get through. I've only done about two missions and I have yet to go back because it feels very vanilla and bland. You can buy businesses, do in-mission missions, and upgrade your home on each map that you play. I suppose the single player is most disappointing in that it had a lot of potential but has either been squandered or watered down to where it's a chore to get through. Where the game DOES excel in my opinion is the multiplayer. You chose four heroes, can completely customize any of them with any weapon, and can level them up to make them more powerful in combat using "money" earned while playing CO-OP or verses. One draw-back is there is little, if any, tier-based pvp combat, so new folks are often paired with older ones who have a much more advanced party, and an inevitable slaughter ensues. If you want to play multiplayer though, clear time on your schedules. Though both are fun in their own right, PVP takes roughly 15-30 minutes and COOP takes 45-60 minutes. All in all, a decent game and a good buy, particularly if it goes on sale. In fact, I would recommend waiting until it does so. Expand
  8. Feb 2, 2013
    I like the game, its a nice graphic, but the old heroes and magic missions is a big drop for me, i personale don't like it.

All the features, i like them, and there is more hours in it than i thought, a game for me don't need all kinda features, as long its fun and like doing some of the same things over and over, to get more power and become the Mafia. Buy it if you like a strategy

Buy it if you like a strategy game that got lots of game time and for me it's addicting.
  9. Feb 7, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Now let's see... You got a great theme (for all Mafia/ prohibition lovers out there), descent battle choice (turn-based at last!) and an expectation that the mix won't fail you (as the price is high). Unfortunately the game feels unfinished... My main concerns lay in the absolutely lack of info/report regarding what your premises produce (in terms of "products" and like/fear rating) or what your joints or construction sites sell (again for both aspects). You should also be able to see the benefits received by upgraded buildings in this report. The battle is nice but missed shots when you are literally next to an enemy is a fail... As the game has something that gets me hooked and wanna finish it, I will not bury it but I'd suggest the developer to implement the changes (that I am sure had in mind but not the time to implement) and give content free of charge to all those that bought the game at full price. A re-pricing at 15-19 is mandatory and please add the option to be able to chat with your opponent/ co-player! Expand
  10. Jul 25, 2013
    Omerta: City of Gangsters's gameplay can become somewhat repetitive and the sandbox and multiplayer options on offer will only entice a limited number of replays. However, this unpretentious mafia strategy game has an entertaining (yet somewhat predictable) story with a great 20s era soundtrack to boot. I thoroughly enjoyed the single-player campaign and if you enjoyed the campaigns inOmerta: City of Gangsters's gameplay can become somewhat repetitive and the sandbox and multiplayer options on offer will only entice a limited number of replays. However, this unpretentious mafia strategy game has an entertaining (yet somewhat predictable) story with a great 20s era soundtrack to boot. I thoroughly enjoyed the single-player campaign and if you enjoyed the campaigns in Tropico 3 and 4, set your sights on Omerta: City of Gangsters. Expand
  11. Aug 19, 2013
    Disclaimer: I've not played this, but I felt I must responded to FemmeFatal. First, you're a girl, so you don't get it. Second, some people DO want mindless game interaction. Arcane is an RPG fan, RPGs are some of the most in-depth and detailed and challenging games out there, not mindless games. I'm sorry that you wanted a challenge like you'd find in Magic, the Gathering...then again, ifDisclaimer: I've not played this, but I felt I must responded to FemmeFatal. First, you're a girl, so you don't get it. Second, some people DO want mindless game interaction. Arcane is an RPG fan, RPGs are some of the most in-depth and detailed and challenging games out there, not mindless games. I'm sorry that you wanted a challenge like you'd find in Magic, the Gathering...then again, if your review is based on telling someone else, who provided PLENTY of explanation in his review (which is what you're supposed to do), that he is wrong....just go home Expand
  12. Feb 21, 2013
    Omerta: City of Gangsters is perhaps a bit overpriced, but everyone who is into the mafia setting and nice strategy titles will enjoy this. The visuals are still ok and because of the nice voice acting you can dive into the world of Omerta. For me Omerta: City of Gangsters is a fresh alternative to the stressy gaming life.
  13. Mar 16, 2013
    Generally an enjoyable game, the single player is reasonably fun, however the co-op does not seem to be what players were expecting; people were excepting co-op throughout the single player campaign more than just two mission maps.
  14. May 4, 2013
    Omerta was meant to be the new thing, it was meant to be something special with turn based combat using a birds eye view set up, but unfortunately the game was a big let down in my eyes. From the makers of Tropico you really expected something good. Instead what you got was a poorly build economic background which took time to set up, but once you had it working money because uselessOmerta was meant to be the new thing, it was meant to be something special with turn based combat using a birds eye view set up, but unfortunately the game was a big let down in my eyes. From the makers of Tropico you really expected something good. Instead what you got was a poorly build economic background which took time to set up, but once you had it working money because useless almost. The combat was the only thing that was interesting, but even that became very repetitive and predictable. The game was very short with levels pretty easy to complete.

The storyline could of done with extending and more levels put in. The makers are now releasing expansion packs on a regular basis, but at £3.49+ a go you would really think these would be free as the game just lacked the content to begin with.
    Although the game was fun to play you quickly go in a routine on each level and it became boring quite quickly. It's a shame as the game had all the potential to be fun.
  15. Nov 1, 2013
    A really interesting game that's sort of a mixture between Tropico and XCOM, with the setting of Mafia 2 or L.A. Noire. There's city and economy management, as well as turn-based combat. You can raid bars, bribe the police, gain the trust of other independent businesses and buy them out, be a black man and nail gangsters over the head with a baseball bat, and all sorts of cool stuff. YouA really interesting game that's sort of a mixture between Tropico and XCOM, with the setting of Mafia 2 or L.A. Noire. There's city and economy management, as well as turn-based combat. You can raid bars, bribe the police, gain the trust of other independent businesses and buy them out, be a black man and nail gangsters over the head with a baseball bat, and all sorts of cool stuff. You can be both liked and feared by the city, both are necessary for the best possible experience. Like rating means the city will respect you more, and be willing to coordinate with you. Fear rating means the city will fear you, and will sell you things for cheaper pricers and will give in to your threats.

A very unique game that's not without its flaws, but manages to take two good types of games and make it into something else that's also good.
  16. Dec 26, 2015
    This game highly lacks.. Stuff. There isn't a whole lot to do, only six maps all of which are very small and only a few action maps (where the combat takes place.) Many reviews claim it lacks in technicalities but I think it all works out great, it just lacks content. This game especially isn't worth anything over $20, it's crazy to think that this was a $60 game. It just isn't there itThis game highly lacks.. Stuff. There isn't a whole lot to do, only six maps all of which are very small and only a few action maps (where the combat takes place.) Many reviews claim it lacks in technicalities but I think it all works out great, it just lacks content. This game especially isn't worth anything over $20, it's crazy to think that this was a $60 game. It just isn't there it feels like a browser game honestly. Sandbox mode is horrible, you're best off just sandboxing in the campaign - because in sandbox mode, even though you may have everything set to easy some how the rival gang takes over the city within minutes and it's a pain to expand as they already have everything and the minute you establish something they take it over. A little more customization would've been nice as well on your character.

If it had more content, larger map and just an overall enhancement to everything this game would be great. The soundtrack is awesome as is the setting, gameplay and even the combat is pretty well done once you get the hang of it. It is a fun game to casually relax and play, works at your own pace and is pretty laid back with relaxing music to jive to so it is initially fun but after awhile you'll start to see how much it lacks and what it could've been then it just makes you sad and want to stop playing. Hell even the voice acting is amazing and so are the graphics, honestly it's probably some of the best voice acting I've heard.

Not recommended unless you get this game for under $10 or free.
  17. Jan 31, 2013
    I enjoy the game, It has sandbox so you can have your own freestyle play in several areas of atlanta city. I am sure there will be expac DLC stuff to maybe get other towns or more stuff to do. The camagne starts off basically you come to america as a european trying to live the american dream. You slowly build up a crew an then finally take on some of the crime syndicates to eventuallyI enjoy the game, It has sandbox so you can have your own freestyle play in several areas of atlanta city. I am sure there will be expac DLC stuff to maybe get other towns or more stuff to do. The camagne starts off basically you come to america as a european trying to live the american dream. You slowly build up a crew an then finally take on some of the crime syndicates to eventually create your own. I am enjoying the game but there are so lack luster areas. The combat is not like I was truely expecting its more so sim style then true RTS turn base. Cause you can simple auto play battle like if you were playing a game like King Arthur the role playing wargame but with alot less options...heh. characters can have different guns/weapons they use or specialize in an the RPG element is okay. I have to say overall the game should of been released at a price point of 29.99 not 39.99 but least i got 15% off via steam prepurchase. Collapse

1. PC Master (Greece)
    Jun 10, 2013
    Despite its elaborate nature, Omerta does not offer a great deal of variety, while giving the impression of a 10-hour-long tutorial, constantly guiding the player. Such a repetitive game will not take long to get tiresome. [March 2013]
  2. Apr 11, 2013
    Best avoided by anyone seeking a real challenge or keen to get their teeth into some serious multiplayer gaming!
  3. Apr 9, 2013
    A promising concept of managerial and turn-based strategy from the Prohibition in the United States era. However, its realisation is unfortunate. From the managerial point of view the game is too long, reminding Waiting for Godot. Entertaining fights are subsequently killed by repeating locations and unpolished cover system.