Omerta: City of Gangsters PC

4.9

1. Aug 10, 2017
    Just a little above generic.
    -Story gameplay is decent. Multiplayer and Sandbox is not.
    -Repetitive gameplay structure, luckily there are different objectives that fit lore for each story mission. It is repetitious that for each mission the most basic objective of Earning Money has to be rebuilt from scratch. There are around 30 such story missions, therefore, 30 times doing roughly the
    Just a little above generic.
    -Story gameplay is decent. Multiplayer and Sandbox is not.
    It is repetitious that for each mission the most basic objective of Earning Money has to be rebuilt from scratch. There are around 30 such story missions, therefore, 30 times doing roughly the same thing. Should include a system where an Empire can be created and a portion of revenue can be drawn from other districts.
    -All perks gained by Leveling Up only pertains to combat.
    -Very little strategy in combat. Combat is boring.
    -No loot system in combat section. Ex1: During bank heist, there is no option to grab any of the mountain of gold bricks.
    Ex2: During an enemy's business Raid there is no option to crack the safe.
    -During these combat sections, characters should wear a mask.
    -There is no Stealth capacity in the combat sections! This game forces you to murder scores of cops, but the heat meter only raises +1 by one point.
    -Loading times. There is a Load for every Save and AutoSave.
    +Can skip all the logo screens at startup.
    +Music adds a cultural atmosphere.
    +Each Character has a unique voice actor adding a semblance of personality to static portraits.

Overall, there could have been a lot more strategy implemented in both the overworld and combat sections. The result seems too "Gamified". There should have been an empire management component added to the mission select screen. Playing games such as GTA, one can't help but get tired of being "sheep" that moves on behalf of somebody else's whim. Games such as this are refreshing and I look forward to any new releases in this mob boss genre of games.
  2. Apr 17, 2017
    Très perfectible au niveau de la partie gestion mais assez réussi dans sa partie combat au tour par tour (bien que n'égalant pas Xcom...), Omerta demeure sympathique avec une bonne ambiance (la Prohibition...), des musiques d'époque pas soûlantes et des graphismes plutôt mignons. La VF est soignée, ce qui ne mange pas de pain.

Malgré les défauts de gestion, la campagne se laisse

Malgré les défauts de gestion, la campagne se laisse parcourir sans se forcer et demeure bien construite. J'espérais mieux tout de même de l'ensemble, car les mécaniques d'Omerta sont solides mais son manque de finition le laisse encore loin de la référence du genre, à savoir l'indétrônable Xcom... dommage !
  3. Dec 26, 2015
    This game highly lacks.. Stuff. There isn't a whole lot to do, only six maps all of which are very small and only a few action maps (where the combat takes place.) Many reviews claim it lacks in technicalities but I think it all works out great, it just lacks content. This game especially isn't worth anything over $20, it's crazy to think that this was a $60 game. It just isn't there itThis game highly lacks.. Stuff. There isn't a whole lot to do, only six maps all of which are very small and only a few action maps (where the combat takes place.) Many reviews claim it lacks in technicalities but I think it all works out great, it just lacks content. This game especially isn't worth anything over $20, it's crazy to think that this was a $60 game. It just isn't there it feels like a browser game honestly. Sandbox mode is horrible, you're best off just sandboxing in the campaign - because in sandbox mode, even though you may have everything set to easy some how the rival gang takes over the city within minutes and it's a pain to expand as they already have everything and the minute you establish something they take it over. A little more customization would've been nice as well on your character.

If it had more content, larger map and just an overall enhancement to everything this game would be great. The soundtrack is awesome as is the setting, gameplay and even the combat is pretty well done once you get the hang of it. It is a fun game to casually relax and play, works at your own pace and is pretty laid back with relaxing music to jive to so it is initially fun but after awhile you'll start to see how much it lacks and what it could've been then it just makes you sad and want to stop playing. Hell even the voice acting is amazing and so are the graphics, honestly it's probably some of the best voice acting I've heard.

Not recommended unless you get this game for under $10 or free.
  4. May 14, 2015
    Every so often you come across a game that makes you swear never to buy a game from a certain studio ever again. Omerta is that game from Kalypso.

Awful game, just awful. It takes skill to make a game about prohibition era gangsters so gosh darn boring, but boy did they succeed. I can think of nothing good to say about this game. Seriously, the closest you feel like a real crime has

Seriously, the closest you feel like a real crime has been committed is the fact they had the nerve to charge AAA price for it.
  5. Dec 5, 2014
    The price of this game should be around $20. It does not justify more than that - but I don't think anyone came here to wonder about prices.. you want to know if it worth installing - it is. the game reminds of x-com or Jugged Alliance with almost no focus required to the character micro management and more focuses on the characters abilities. this makes the battles much more polished thanThe price of this game should be around $20. It does not justify more than that - but I don't think anyone came here to wonder about prices.. you want to know if it worth installing - it is. the game reminds of x-com or Jugged Alliance with almost no focus required to the character micro management and more focuses on the characters abilities. this makes the battles much more polished than any game of the same genre I played. it is more polished than the recent x-com. the economic management is less interesting but at least it will not delay you too much during the game play. It is not a game for everyone but if you'll like you will get hooked to it for hours. Expand
  6. Oct 3, 2014
    Just created an acount because I can´t belive why people rated this less than 7, you can like this kind of games or not, but giving this game a 0 ...

People saying the game is easy ... well in the second mission I got killed becasue I decided to atack a factory in the first minute. Maybe I like it that much because I got the gold edition and now the game is more "finished" ? Get it

Get it on a Steam sale
  7. Jan 18, 2014
    Well, in short, it's crap. I downloaded the demo, looked thru the starting sequence of images, selected the Hideout, sent a guy on a mission to raid some brewery. Then I had to wait maybe 5 mins real-time until it finished. In that time I couldn't do ANYTHING. When this "mission" was finally finished, i started a "job" (sell some beer). This time I didn't have the patience to wait for itWell, in short, it's crap. I downloaded the demo, looked thru the starting sequence of images, selected the Hideout, sent a guy on a mission to raid some brewery. Then I had to wait maybe 5 mins real-time until it finished. In that time I couldn't do ANYTHING. When this "mission" was finally finished, i started a "job" (sell some beer). This time I didn't have the patience to wait for it to finish. After reading some reviews I re-started the game on Hard difficulty. Same crap.
    Not sure if it's a bug or not. Anyway, I surely won't buy this crap.
  8. Dec 8, 2013
    My adventure in this game started with the TV-Series on HBO- Boardwalk Empire. Then I bought this Game.Played forty minutes and And I liked it.Perhaps the game looks good, despite the bugs.I recommend to those who like turn-based strategy and economic. I badly write in English and I speak no better, but I think you catch my drift. Google Translate in Help.
  9. Dec 5, 2013
    The score is particularly low because I bought it through pre-sale and this game is THE reason why I do not buy anything before release...

What to say? A great concept, transformed into a bland execution, overall trite, with a dull plot and with the game mechanics outdated and not very intriguing. A failure... sorry to say that Kalypso usually gives to client a 50-50 chances: very

A failure... sorry to say that Kalypso usually gives to client a 50-50 chances: very good or very bad.
    Tropico is good? This is bad.
    As was some others titles from their library...

The funny thing is that their games usually seems ALL interesting, before release, and then some get out bugged, half-finished or executed in an almost amateurish way...

This is that last case.
  10. Nov 1, 2013
    A really interesting game that's sort of a mixture between Tropico and XCOM, with the setting of Mafia 2 or L.A. Noire. There's city and economy management, as well as turn-based combat. You can raid bars, bribe the police, gain the trust of other independent businesses and buy them out, be a black man and nail gangsters over the head with a baseball bat, and all sorts of cool stuff. YouA really interesting game that's sort of a mixture between Tropico and XCOM, with the setting of Mafia 2 or L.A. Noire. There's city and economy management, as well as turn-based combat. You can raid bars, bribe the police, gain the trust of other independent businesses and buy them out, be a black man and nail gangsters over the head with a baseball bat, and all sorts of cool stuff. You can be both liked and feared by the city, both are necessary for the best possible experience. Like rating means the city will respect you more, and be willing to coordinate with you. Fear rating means the city will fear you, and will sell you things for cheaper pricers and will give in to your threats.

A very unique game that's not without its flaws, but manages to take two good types of games and make it into something else that's also good.
  11. Oct 28, 2013
    Originally I gave this game a 3/10, stating how I felt that, "Each mission is a series of repetitive tasks, simple as that. While you perform these tasks they will try to piece in little bits of story and nothing really ever changes from board to board." And then I finished the review by stating, "Now I will not say this game is absolute junk, but for the price I paid, I was expectingOriginally I gave this game a 3/10, stating how I felt that, "Each mission is a series of repetitive tasks, simple as that. While you perform these tasks they will try to piece in little bits of story and nothing really ever changes from board to board." And then I finished the review by stating, "Now I will not say this game is absolute junk, but for the price I paid, I was expecting something much more impressive, or at the very least slightly impressive."
    Now, those complaints still persist with me. This game's "takeover" gameplay is extremely tedious, imo, and I still feel that this is an overpriced game for its content. However, giving the game a second chance after its free update, I found myself enjoying the game much more. The strategic combat, story and theme are all pretty refreshing and earn the game a higher score than 3/10.
    Specific Cons: Missions and map takeover becomes extremely tedious and drawn out. Game is overpriced. Would be a 8/10 if it were approximately 20 bucks.
  12. Oct 24, 2013
    if only there would be a word to describe something deprived of all sense meaning and joy. To call his project horrible would be a high praise. There is no enjoyment in this. How could they screw up a premise that sells itself gangsters during prohibition.
  13. Aug 19, 2013
    Disclaimer: I've not played this, but I felt I must responded to FemmeFatal. First, you're a girl, so you don't get it. Second, some people DO want mindless game interaction. Arcane is an RPG fan, RPGs are some of the most in-depth and detailed and challenging games out there, not mindless games. I'm sorry that you wanted a challenge like you'd find in Magic, the Gathering...then again, ifDisclaimer: I've not played this, but I felt I must responded to FemmeFatal. First, you're a girl, so you don't get it. Second, some people DO want mindless game interaction. Arcane is an RPG fan, RPGs are some of the most in-depth and detailed and challenging games out there, not mindless games. I'm sorry that you wanted a challenge like you'd find in Magic, the Gathering...then again, if your review is based on telling someone else, who provided PLENTY of explanation in his review (which is what you're supposed to do), that he is wrong....just go home Expand
  14. Jul 30, 2013
    It's the worst game in some years, the problem are in the play method by turns because this method is very boring, the game is similar to Chicago 1930 but with a stupid and annoying method by turns DON'T BUY THE GAME and DON'T LOSE YOUR MONEY.
  15. Jul 30, 2013
    Omerta is an average game that is fun if you get in on sale. It has an x-com style combat system (though not nearly as extensive in terms of variability and combat options). The meta game gets a bit redundant over time, though the recent additions of sandbox mode and other small improvements has increased re-playability somewhat.
  16. Jul 27, 2013
    Jogo muito ruim. Evite-o, principalmente se você conhece "XCOM" e sua jogabilidade infalível. Creio que os produtores precisam melhorar bastante este jogo. Não valeu o preço que estão cobrando.
  17. Jul 25, 2013
    Omerta: City of Gangsters's gameplay can become somewhat repetitive and the sandbox and multiplayer options on offer will only entice a limited number of replays. However, this unpretentious mafia strategy game has an entertaining (yet somewhat predictable) story with a great 20s era soundtrack to boot. I thoroughly enjoyed the single-player campaign and if you enjoyed the campaigns inOmerta: City of Gangsters's gameplay can become somewhat repetitive and the sandbox and multiplayer options on offer will only entice a limited number of replays. However, this unpretentious mafia strategy game has an entertaining (yet somewhat predictable) story with a great 20s era soundtrack to boot. I thoroughly enjoyed the single-player campaign and if you enjoyed the campaigns in Tropico 3 and 4, set your sights on Omerta: City of Gangsters. Expand
  18. Jul 21, 2013
    This game takes dull too a new level, trying to combine the action and thrill of being a gangster, with the strategy and thinking of Republic: The Revolution (A game I found weirdly addictive) but some how fail to live up to either of those ideas.

It somehow managed to make me feel like neither a Gangster, nor a Criminal Mastermind. Three D's; Disappointing, Dull, Devoid of Personality.
  19. Jul 13, 2013
    Boy if that ain't a load of crap Arcana wrote. This game is horrible even after the patch. Who wants to play a game a 5 year old can play. Oh I forgot Arcana does. He wants an easy peasy strategy rpg game. Well 99% want a challenging game and this one doesn't do it. Get Mob Rule or Gangsters they are much better games,
  20. Jun 27, 2013
    To be fair, writing this review on 27 June 2013, many months after the game's original release and after having very recently purchased the super-patched version with all the DLCs, I cannot agree or disagree with the reviews of the originally-released version, which seemed flawed and incomplete. Consequently, my score of 10 corresponds to the version I have recently bought (and the onlyTo be fair, writing this review on 27 June 2013, many months after the game's original release and after having very recently purchased the super-patched version with all the DLCs, I cannot agree or disagree with the reviews of the originally-released version, which seemed flawed and incomplete. Consequently, my score of 10 corresponds to the version I have recently bought (and the only one I have played), which was enhanced by the major end-of-May patch.

I only played the first mission of the Campaign, which is a first of many tutorial missions. After that, I experimented with various sandbox-mode setups.

I'm not an action-game tactical fighter. Consequently, I do not mind if the A.I. adversaries are too easy to defeat in the turn-based combat encounters. Those do not happen often, and I find them fun, even though they do not constitute difficult challenges.

I'm not a financial wizard, either. Consequently, I do not mind if the game's economic simulation of a criminal enterprise lacks "realism" and deep challenge. There is just enough pseudo-realism and economic interactions to represent a decent simulation challenge.

What I am is a RPG player. I enjoy to design PCs (human-controlled Player Characters) and to play-act them according to their positive and negative limitations. In the sandbox mode, the game shines if it is played with such a RPG-style mindset.

If you play it with a strategic and/or tactical "wargame" mindset, you will feel underwhelmed.

Playing in a huge window, on my 1920x1200-resolution desktop, with 8x AA, after having tinkered with my video "Catalyst Control" settings, the game looks great crisp and clean.

I'm having a lot of fun. I will certainly pay full-price if more DLCs or expansions are offered.
  21. May 24, 2013
    In short words: very bad interface design, repetitive gameplay, horrible combat system. This game has no depth at all, and looks very unprofessional in all its aspects. It would deserve a 4 if it was marketed as a small cheap game, but given its AAA price, a 2 is well deserved.
  22. May 4, 2013
    Omerta was meant to be the new thing, it was meant to be something special with turn based combat using a birds eye view set up, but unfortunately the game was a big let down in my eyes. From the makers of Tropico you really expected something good. Instead what you got was a poorly build economic background which took time to set up, but once you had it working money because uselessOmerta was meant to be the new thing, it was meant to be something special with turn based combat using a birds eye view set up, but unfortunately the game was a big let down in my eyes. From the makers of Tropico you really expected something good. Instead what you got was a poorly build economic background which took time to set up, but once you had it working money because useless almost. The combat was the only thing that was interesting, but even that became very repetitive and predictable. The game was very short with levels pretty easy to complete.

The storyline could of done with extending and more levels put in. The makers are now releasing expansion packs on a regular basis, but at £3.49+ a go you would really think these would be free as the game just lacked the content to begin with.
    Although the game was fun to play you quickly go in a routine on each level and it became boring quite quickly. It's a shame as the game had all the potential to be fun.
  23. May 3, 2013
    I am not gonna waste my time trying to explain why this game sucks. Everyone else did a pretty good job of it. But I do not even think it is worthy of a single point, this game is a complete rip-off at the price. If it would have been in the 10 dollar range I may have given it a 6 or 7 at best, but this is just a sad, sad game for a whopping 40 bucks. And to piss me off even more, theyI am not gonna waste my time trying to explain why this game sucks. Everyone else did a pretty good job of it. But I do not even think it is worthy of a single point, this game is a complete rip-off at the price. If it would have been in the 10 dollar range I may have given it a 6 or 7 at best, but this is just a sad, sad game for a whopping 40 bucks. And to piss me off even more, they charge 5 bucks per HORRIBLE DLC content. Money all wasted. Expand
  24. Apr 5, 2013
    I expected more from Omerta, riding on the expectations of some of Kalypso's previous games, such as Tropico. However, although my initial impressions were good, I soon realized how repetitive and laborious the game as a whole can be.

I found multiplayer to be not up to par, the combat system felt oddly bugged, favoring the A.I. in some situations. Also, the thing which bugs me most, and perhaps many other people too, was the price tag of this game.

£30-40 for a game which had a play time of around 6-7 hours (before boredom kicks in), along with repetitive gameplay and features rehashed from other games (specifically FREE flash games), Omerta just didn't cut it for me.

Overall, although it was initially a blast, it quickly deteriorated, and it has been a while since I have even looked at it in my Steam library.
  25. Apr 3, 2013
    This game had so mutch potential but it ended up being boring and simple. Singleplayer gets boring preatty quickly and the storyline is not interesting at all. Sandbox has the same problem it gets boring so quickly you dont really have any competition in the sandbox you just expand your criminal business without any challenge. There might be cops on your tail but you can just bribe themThis game had so mutch potential but it ended up being boring and simple. Singleplayer gets boring preatty quickly and the storyline is not interesting at all. Sandbox has the same problem it gets boring so quickly you dont really have any competition in the sandbox you just expand your criminal business without any challenge. There might be cops on your tail but you can just bribe them over and over again. The combat system is kinda nice although you might rage when you are standing right next to your enemy and shooting him with sniper rifle and still missing the shot. The good thing in the game is the graphics and atmosphere. It really looks and feels like 1920 Atlanta but that still doest make up the lousy singleplayer and sandbox mode. With the current price of the game it simply is not worth buying Expand
  26. Mar 16, 2013
    Generally an enjoyable game, the single player is reasonably fun, however the co-op does not seem to be what players were expecting; people were excepting co-op throughout the single player campaign more than just two mission maps.
  27. Mar 15, 2013
    This game is very bad, do not take it! Reasons: it does not show up correctly, how to play and do something funky. But we have a good retro feel. But it still sucks. One of the worst game in which I played.
  28. Feb 23, 2013
    It feels and plays like a facebook game just with a faster pace than every 6hrs. The first campaign missions are like drudging through dialog popups and then not knowing what you just did to save your criminal empire! Though the game is pretty simple, you do crime in an organized fashion and don't want to alert the police, which can then cost you a resource or a bribe. Then its combatIt feels and plays like a facebook game just with a faster pace than every 6hrs. The first campaign missions are like drudging through dialog popups and then not knowing what you just did to save your criminal empire! Though the game is pretty simple, you do crime in an organized fashion and don't want to alert the police, which can then cost you a resource or a bribe. Then its combat system is bland with visual issues and targeting problems. 2/10 Expand
  29. Feb 21, 2013
    Omerta: City of Gangsters is perhaps a bit overpriced, but everyone who is into the mafia setting and nice strategy titles will enjoy this. The visuals are still ok and because of the nice voice acting you can dive into the world of Omerta. For me Omerta: City of Gangsters is a fresh alternative to the stressy gaming life.
  30. Feb 18, 2013
    Well, I give up. I can't find anything positive to say about Omerta. It's just so, so, so bad. The key skill required on the part of players is patience. "Just wait a bit and everything will be alright" might occasionally be considered useful life advice, but it's hardly a solid basis around which to design a game. Do something stunningly obvious, wait a bit, do something else stunninglyWell, I give up. I can't find anything positive to say about Omerta. It's just so, so, so bad. The key skill required on the part of players is patience. "Just wait a bit and everything will be alright" might occasionally be considered useful life advice, but it's hardly a solid basis around which to design a game. Do something stunningly obvious, wait a bit, do something else stunningly obvious, wait a bit, occasionally indulge in some outrageously shallow XCOM-style combat that was clearly slammed together in a couple of weeks... and that's it. I mean, I understand the desire of games companies to appeal to those of a less hardcore persuasion, but Omerta sets the decision making bar so low that it represents a trip hazard to gerbils!

In short, this is an absolute turd. Don't even touch it if it's free. Use your bandwidth for something more interesting and challenging, such as watching foreign language infomercials for cleaning products based on lemon juice that shift even the toughest stains without damaging the environment or representing a hazard to children and animals.

1. PC Master (Greece)
    Jun 10, 2013
    Despite its elaborate nature, Omerta does not offer a great deal of variety, while giving the impression of a 10-hour-long tutorial, constantly guiding the player. Such a repetitive game will not take long to get tiresome. [March 2013]
  2. Apr 11, 2013
    Best avoided by anyone seeking a real challenge or keen to get their teeth into some serious multiplayer gaming!
  3. Apr 9, 2013
    A promising concept of managerial and turn-based strategy from the Prohibition in the United States era. However, its realisation is unfortunate. From the managerial point of view the game is too long, reminding Waiting for Godot. Entertaining fights are subsequently killed by repeating locations and unpolished cover system.