9.0

1. Jul 8, 2011
    Operation Flashpoint was a stunner when it was released, but for anyone who hasn't played it and wants to get into now, this review is for you. Firstly, the graphics aren't exactly what they used to be back in 2001, so get ready for a whopping change if your coming from modern shooters, secondly, if your a hardcore COD and Halo shooter fan, you will probably hate this game for one simplyOperation Flashpoint was a stunner when it was released, but for anyone who hasn't played it and wants to get into now, this review is for you. Firstly, the graphics aren't exactly what they used to be back in 2001, so get ready for a whopping change if your coming from modern shooters, secondly, if your a hardcore COD and Halo shooter fan, you will probably hate this game for one simply reason...one shot, one kill; this game will eat you alive, this is the most realistic tactical shooter ever made, so if your into running and gunning, leave now. And last but not least, be patient, this game is HARD, and takes many tries to complete missions at times, but at the end of it all, this is a fun game if you really sink your teeth into it, even in 2011, this game still never fails to impress me. I highly recommend it to any tactical shooter fan, or just a shooter fan in general because you just may fall in love with it. Expand
  2. Feb 13, 2012
    I know that METACRITIC is strewn with user reviews giving any old mediocrity 10 out of 10 (often tactically deployed to balance out the also utterly unjust Zeros.)
    Well, this game is worth 12 out of 10 and is (IMO) the very best FPS/Military Shooter you can get!!
    Completely open World that lets you approach objectives as you see fit - wonderful 1st/3rd person gunplay - HUNDREDS of vehicles (inc user made MODS) from pedal-bikes to F16 Jetfighters, from inflatable dinghies to Nuclear Submarines and aircraft carriers, tanks to beach buggies...
    A million user made missions (running the whole spectrum from utter bilge to utter genius),great epic multiplayer faceoffs between dozens...But best of all to me is the community of modders and mission makers (there's an in-game mission editor in which you can create whole campaign stories and even Direct your own cut-scene movies!!
    There are MANY total conversion mods for it including ones that recreate the american civil war / a Napoleonic mod / modern combat / cold war era / someone's even turned it into a SPACE COMBAT game!! (it's actually pretty easy to make your own stuff on even if you're not a code-ninja, and LOADS of great tutorials by the community) so much to discover!!
    Do yourself a favour and check this game out (give it a chance-you won't regret it!!!)
    TEN OUT OF TEN - MY FAVOURITE GAME OF ALL TIME :)
  3. May 10, 2012
    It's the middle of 2012, and I just rebooted and played all three OpF games again - CWC, Red Hammer and Resistance - and it still, for me, is the best gaming experience I've had. Contrary to what many say, I still feel the graphics stack up - particularly the distance rendering. The feel of playing in a huge open world is there. Some missions on the Everon island are so picturesque I pauseIt's the middle of 2012, and I just rebooted and played all three OpF games again - CWC, Red Hammer and Resistance - and it still, for me, is the best gaming experience I've had. Contrary to what many say, I still feel the graphics stack up - particularly the distance rendering. The feel of playing in a huge open world is there. Some missions on the Everon island are so picturesque I pause for a few minutes just to look around.

I've played almost every FPS there is, and still, more than ten years after it's release, no game has come close to capturing that feel of actually being in the middle of a war. Of being a lonesome soldier, who can make a difference, and yet is just a small cog in a larger scheme. Knowing that facing a patrolling tank is almost certain death, and yet get your hands on an RPG launcher and the watch tables turn. This game gives you everything - the tension of being outnumbered and alone, the joy of launching large scale attacks, the pleasure in commanding an M1A1 abrams and destroying all in your path. Not to mention playing as a highly trained black op and dealing silent death.
    Basically, I could go on and on. This is still THE benchmark shooter for realism and it's ability to draw you into the world. As much as I have enjoyed the CoD series, this game is really what separates the men from the boys, so to speak.
    Do yourself a favour, if you haven't played it, and get your hands on a copy ASAP.
    For those who have played it, and know exactly what I'm on about, give it another go. For nostalgia.
  4. Sep 6, 2011
    A thinking game. Not just a run and gun FPS. If you have a good knowledge of military tactics but not world class reflexes, than this could be the game for you. You not only have to stay alive throughout missions but keep an eye out for your squad members and be the leader they need. This game is extremely unique in the fact that it masters single player campaign, masters expansion packs,A thinking game. Not just a run and gun FPS. If you have a good knowledge of military tactics but not world class reflexes, than this could be the game for you. You not only have to stay alive throughout missions but keep an eye out for your squad members and be the leader they need. This game is extremely unique in the fact that it masters single player campaign, masters expansion packs, and masters a co-op that in combination with player inspired custom missions (made by the players as well as the developers) will be like nothing you have ever experienced in a game before. Expand
  5. Jun 11, 2014
    Probably the best game I have ever played (and I have played well over 100 games since starting with SimCity 2000). When it came out, the story was epic, graphics were epic (back in 2001), the sound and music was amazing, and the realism was a revolution for PC gaming. Years ahead of its time. Bohemia Interactive has made decent ARMA games since, but they were never quite as good,Probably the best game I have ever played (and I have played well over 100 games since starting with SimCity 2000). When it came out, the story was epic, graphics were epic (back in 2001), the sound and music was amazing, and the realism was a revolution for PC gaming. Years ahead of its time. Bohemia Interactive has made decent ARMA games since, but they were never quite as good, particularly the singleplayer campaigns have not been as good as in this game. Even in 2014+ this game is absolutely worth playing, because other than the now dated graphics, it is still on par with or exceeds the best games of today. Get it on Steam as "ARMA: Cold War Assault" for next to nothing. Expand
  6. May 8, 2015
    I remember boarding a T-80 tank as a gunner and just sitting there. Looking at the photorealistic (back then) interior of the tank. The controls, the compartments, the guages (that didn't move), the breech, the optical sight, the fire controls, the other compartments. It was beautiful. I remember running around for several minutes hoping to find an SVD Dragunov because my targets were 300+I remember boarding a T-80 tank as a gunner and just sitting there. Looking at the photorealistic (back then) interior of the tank. The controls, the compartments, the guages (that didn't move), the breech, the optical sight, the fire controls, the other compartments. It was beautiful. I remember running around for several minutes hoping to find an SVD Dragunov because my targets were 300+ meters away and my iron sights were difficult to use at that range. I remember being the last man in my squad, trying to run away for tanks and infantry I had no hope of killing. I remember aiming at a target 1500m away with a tank. And how laggy it was because my view distance was too far and my PC back then with its CRT monitor wasn't powerful enough. This game had it all. I played this game back in highschool and now I have been working for 5 years as an engineer. For its time, it was a wonder to behold and even today, a gold standard for the world to beat. Truly makes most other games today look like lazy efforts in comparison. Expand
  7. Apr 26, 2013
    The most realistic military game ever. I loved the game mechanics, the realistic AI. There is too much to say. I replayed this game over 8 times. I think the character models(especially the hands) look like they were made of wood. The facial animations are good however.

1. With multiplayer, a full editor, and a growing user community, this is a game that every fan of military shooters should have. It looks great, plays great, and most of all feels right.
  2. It's probably as close to real combat as you would want to get. It's probably too realistic for hard-core shooter fans, and not realistic enough for sim fanatics, but everyone else will find it to be a thrilling game.
    That's basically the game's strongest point -- the ability to make you feel as if you actually are involved in a real war. Any gamer looking for that degree of realism in a first-person action game cannot go wrong with Operation Flashpoint.