5.8

1. Jun 27, 2014
    Got this when it first came out (during alpha phases). Back then my impressions were extremely poor. Now they have slightly improved enough to give it a 4 out of 10. The best way to describe it would be "Its similar to a turok game except remove most turoks gameplay and turn it into a horde mode." Now, I love the turok games on n64, this is nowhere near close to it but... some of the weaponry has a turokesque feel, despite it being poorly done. I think the real satisfaction I get, which is the only reason I am giving it a 4, would be decapitating dinosaurs with a bow and arrow. Other than that, it gets boring quickly, has lots of little things that piss me off a bit more than they should, graphics are not up to par for the engine it uses, and it really needed more weapon options/upgrades with persistent ranks and a lot more dinosaur types (only 8 types I encountered). Expand
  2. Jul 17, 2012
    I made the mistake of purchasing this game before checking out any reviews. This was compounded by the fact that I bought a 4-pack, since the game has online coop. Who doesn't love online coop? Well, this game has made me regret that decision. Graphically it is fine, and the dinosaurs look cool, but that's where the good stops. Game breaking bugs, uninspired game play, and a myriad of drama-bombs involving the developer should be more than enough to keep you away. Expand
  3. Jul 12, 2013
    Here is my updated review. This game only got worse with updates. Don't buy. I repeat Don't buy. The online part is non exsistant and the game now feels worse than what it felt at the beginning. I repeat don't buy.
  4. May 9, 2012
    I'm not sure if this game is an unpolished turd or an unpolished gem, so far the game feels incomplete and doesn't have much to set it apart as a fps. For some reason the raptors of them game attack the generator like it has a dead pig stuck somewhere in it, as a result it needs to constantly be repaired so weapons, vehicles, upgrades, and ammo can be purchased. You spend most of the game camping in a building or in a vehicle. If your character sneezes and farts at the same time they die. The character classes only determine your starting ability and gear, there's nothing else they do (no discounts on gear or vehicles). There's bugs too (alot). It will be a while (not sure when or if ever) before this game will be known as a minor success or a cheap flop, at the rate people are giving up on this game it might never become the game the developers envisioned it would be. The only positive thing about it thus far is the fact that it's only $9 on steam right now (regular price is $10). BUYER you have been warned that there is only one positive thing about it at this point in time. Expand
  5. Aug 22, 2013
    It takes a very special game to be so bad that it's probably not even worth playing for free, yet this is the situation we have with Orion: Dino Horde.

The game is currently free on Steam for a week with 75% off to purchase the full game, and for this the developer has got to be applauded.

But the game itself is just terrible. I don't just mean terrible because it's cool to hate on
    it after the laughably bad initial release; I just mean it's terrible in its completed form. The gameplay is extremely basic, the graphics are poor even for Indie standards and the animations are absolutely atrocious.

However, with that all said, the game IS playable, in that you can shoot dinosaurs and they react to get shot so at least the bare basic mechanisms of an FPS are on display here. The freaky videos you see on YouTube with glitches including somersaulting dinosaurs and physics-free driving are all-but gone (many glitches occur, such as random crashes, logging out in waiting rooms for multiplayer, running through scenery or getting stuck on occasion, but few as dramatic as reported on release), but what's left is a very bland and very dumb gaming experience.

The game promises "incredible visuals and addictive combat". To be blunt, that statement couldn't be further from the truth. Some games are so bad that they're actually fun to play because of the novelty of it, but this game isn't in that bracket it's just lacklustre all round. Avoid.
  6. Jun 1, 2013
    A very good example of how NOT to make a game. you simply have no ideea how anything works in it. plus obvious things do not work, while tertiary aesthetic things, surprisingly, WORK. this game has everything backwards.
  7. Jun 24, 2014
    This game is plenty fun. And it's totally worth the money I spent on it. Of course I bought it for .99 on steam during their free week.
    This game is clearly at the beta or even alpha level of other games. This might have passed for an acceptable game back in the early 2000's but it's just not up to quality for what you can buy else where. If you can find it under a dollar it's worth the
    time playing. Otherwise it's just not worth the money.
    If I could give it two rating I would. I'd give it 9/10 for its potential and its concept and structure, But 2 for how it is put together and what it's really worth.
    If I were to compare the game to any other in terms of fun, enjoyment and value. I'd say that it is on par with Minecraft alpha.
  8. May 12, 2012
    Dino Beatdown is a survival type game, where humans with high-tech weaponry fight hordes of oncoming dinosaurs. It takes place in vast landscapes, where the player must activate the power generator of one out of four bases and fight the incoming dinos. The game was first released in a rather horrendous state, making it impossible or very difficult to join or make servers, the game would crash often and such. While these issues have (for me) largely been ironed out with the first patch, the game is still full of glitches. Sound breaks down after map switch and the first person gun models don't properly react when you fire (leaving you with a feeling of killing raptors with a potato gun). While these are issues I'm sure will be solved by the developers, the game also suffers from some problems in the design. For one, the assault class seems to be the only to have an easy way of getting out of the way of the larger dinosaurs with the jet pack. The medic especially seems to be in trouble when faced with an angry t-rex, leaving them with the rather boring option of staying in-doors popping out every once in a while to pump a clipload of lead in the big lizard. The dinosaurs can't climb, so the right thing to do is get on top of something and shoot the hordes of dinos who are running around below like it's a free crack handout in a bad neighborhood. It is kind of boring that the smartest thing you can do as an "assault" is to just camp on top of something. When you die you'll have to wait until the other players either kill enough dinosaurs or they die themselves and you lose the game. This might be a very long time since the last player can just take a vehicle and go any old direction. We seem to lose a lot of players who die early after a spawn, because they don't want to sit around for 15 minutes waiting to re-spawn. The game now has an option for buying a new life after dying, but if you can't afford it you'll still have to wait. There are only three types of dinosaurs in the game - T-Rex, Raptor and Rahm. While the rahm (a flying dino that'll pick you up and fly away with you) is an interesting touch, the design hasn't been followed through here either: only the assault class has a way of surviving when dropped by a rahm. The recon and the medic will just spatter on the ground below. Killing these three types of dinos quickly become boring, and the game could really do with some more kinds. The game has a selection of vehicles, but alas, here the design is again lacking. The flying type of vehicle is a game winner - the dinos can hardly hurt you and you get to spend the rest of the game bombing defenseless lizards on the ground (and the terrain is game-from-1999-ugly when seen from above). The vehicle direction controls are mouse based, with is fine for the flying vehicle, but just feels clunky and incomplete for the ground based ones. The game is in a much better state than when it first came out (now it is playable), but that also means that all the design flaws come out. It's fun to exploit some dumb dinos who can't get to you, but it will grow old very soon. Expand
  9. May 10, 2012
    There's three problems with this game. 1) It was released in Alpha stage at best but was touted as completed (pre-purchase with BETA access would have been better). 2) It's an indie game but uses the biggest commercial engine out there (UT3). I'm still unsure how I feel about that. 3) It's actually rubbish.

I'm reluctantly giving it a 1 not a 0 as I did have a solo play game and
    flying around with a jetpack was interesting, but nothing more. Expand
  10. Aug 22, 2013
    Believe all the bad reviews that you read. It's all true. I regret the 3eu i paid for this crap. Its utterly unplayable because of bugs, it crashes for no reason, and they had the balls to charge 10eu for this? No. This is thievery. This is downright criminal. People should go to jail for getting this out as it is.
  11. Jul 26, 2012
    Despite good looking screen shots that coax you into buying this game it really is a buggy piece of garbage. I feel ashamed to have this in my steam collection.
  12. May 9, 2012
    This game has had by far one of the worst launch builds i have ever had the opportunity to play. The menus hardly worked, joining/creating multiplayer or solo games was impossible many times, and the few times i did manage to get in the game it felt clunky and horribly unbalanced. The Devs are saying a god patch is coming today that will make everything "better" so hopefully they have managed to fix the majority of the bugs. However until more DLC comes out there just isnt enough to this game to keep me really interested only 3 dino types 1 of which can insta kill at long to close range using projectiles and melee, 3 classes of which 2 are suicidal choices unless you camp buildings or vehicles, 3 maps, and no real persistence to the game since you lose all items/upgrades at the end of each match and there is no ranking system. At this point the only thing that would make this game really fun is 5 player co-op but with MP completely broken for most people right now that's not really an option. Hopefully in a month or 2 once the game is properly patched and some DLC has been released the game will be more enjoyable. I just hope that the launch and lack of content doesn't drive away the community. UPDATE: Patch 1 made the server browser and hosting/joining games at least possible for a good number of people. However crashes and bugs are still pretty bad. The patch even brought about a lot of new bugs since once again spiral was in a rush and did not test the patch thoroughly in an attempt to save time. Expand
  13. May 10, 2012
    Unpolished, buggy, bad sounds, music that does not fit the "action" on the screen, no environment sounds. That's Dino Beatdown in a nutshell. Sorry, but that's unacceptable for 10â
  14. May 4, 2012
    Game is buggy to the point where most of us can't even run it. I honestly can't believe they launched this game in the state it is in. It feels more like an early beta then a full game.
  15. May 5, 2012
    Dino Beatdown is a joke!... nothing on there works at all, have tried it on two high end computers and still no luck. The game might be OK after they fix everything up, but to say they have realised it when it doesn't even load up.. its just funny!.. I am creating games in university and my outcomes are much better than this and I am only just learning HaHa.. Who ever made this should really look into getting a new job haha funny.. Don't buy at the moment doesn't work it sounds good, and the co-op seemed a cool idea, but un-till it works there's no point in wasting even £6 pounds on this lol! just download unity and make your own game it will be much easier to get working and most probably be much more fun to :/ Expand
  16. May 9, 2012
    Just a very buggy amateurish attempt at game making. People involved have no idea of the difference between mod making and a commercial release. Not worth even the 8.00 its selling for.
  17. Jun 10, 2013
    Awful game. Imbalanced, poorly designed, buggy, boring, ugly, unrewarding, difficult and a waste of money. It's a shame really because this really is an awesome idea for a game. Who doesn't like the idea of shooting big ass dinosaurs with big ass guns while doing so with your friends? I love the idea personally and I'm so disappointed this just didn't work.
    Don't waste your time with
    this, it's a criminal waste of money. Expand
  18. Feb 24, 2014
    This game is trying to sell on the idea alone.
    I want you to say this "Space Marines fighting dinos". The statement is awesome, but the game is so full of problems it just does not work. but I would like to start off on this site by being systematic so let us begin.
    There will be six categories: looks, plot, coding, pricing, support, ect:

looks: none to really speak of. It is so bland
    and normal it feels more like the original halo game than a game of 2014. I know they did not have the worlds largest budget, but in the same breadth you could at least try to make it seem pleasing to look at.

plot: none. Can not really kill it over this, but at the same time I would like at least a little story. like why are we hunting dino's or where are we. oh well

coding: oh god no. There were so few things in this that seemed thought out. The bugs alone are rampant but let us talk about the logic of solo player. 1. the class system no longer works. The idea of classes is so that you can do several tasks, but that is useless when you are alone. 2. they literally made some enemies so hard to hit that you can not even aim at them. 3. The starting weapon is next to useless. I can here someone now, "well isn't that the point" it would be except to get a new weapon in solo player you must leave your defensible point, take a thirty second run to your base spend 20 seconds buying a gun, run back in another thirty seconds to watch the raptors tear apart your generator before being swarmed. So no the upgrade system is problematic too.

Pricing: on Steam the games price runs normally for 15$. I did not buy the game (thank goodness) but still the price is absolutely unforgivable for what you are given. The game feels unfinished and to top it off along with buying the game you must buy customizable options. No this is not forgivable. You release and unfinished game and expect us to spend more on it.

support: online support to be exact. I would love to write here how well the online portions seem balanced and fair, except to get onto a multi-player game is a nightmare. I was randomly assigned joined a server with a AFK host. waited 5 minutes I left and found i could not join a different server. I then had to shut the game off and decided to reboot my PC. so 3 minutes later I went back on to try again and was placed in the same server with the same useless host. I typed a quick message to the waiter warning them and tried to join a different server but again it would not allow me into any. so I just left.

ect: I know there have been promises of DLC or patches or other such things, but so what. I want to buy a game that mostly works. not a game that i have to buy to work the bugs out. mostly this was advertized as a finished game. I get the idea of pre-order or early access, but that means i can give adequate feed back and the game is mostly done. Patches are supposed to work out balancing issues and minor glitches not rewire a game.

overall this game is a good concept and useable, I have no doubt if you got a few friend together and played it would be enjoyable. but so little about it works i can not get any enjoyment out of it. It has potential, but it just is so unfinished that I feel it should be scrapped and remade, but due to the sour taste in my mouth I will never try it.
  19. Feb 25, 2014
    The game has incredibly poor animation quality to the point where you can't help but laugh at players whenever you see them sprint, jump or do anything really. The sound effects are equally as poor and even though the game 'echnically' supports a controller... well support isn't the word i would use so don't bother with one. The graphics are actually surprisingly pretty good in most aspects, terrain for instance looks amazing but player models, dinosaurs and weapons leave much to be imagined. The store page mentions things like massively open areas and explorable maps but the maps are significantly smaller than most battlefield levels. Overall the game is buggy and doesn't offer anything to truly call it a sequel to its' predecessor, Broodwar added more content to StarCraft and that was only an expansion pack. This game is worth the 1$ it's being sold for at the time of writing this review but not the time it takes to install and play for more than an hour, don't bother with it. Expand
  20. May 5, 2012
    This game is AWFUL, the graphics are poor, the animations even worse, it is completely riddled with bugs. I would really recomend NOT buy this POS. It is not worth the money. The gunplay is poor, as are the sounds, it crashes, have game stopping bugs. It might only be £6 but dont waste your money on this!
  21. May 7, 2012
    Words can not even express how bad this game is. I was very excite when I first heard about a coop survival game with dinosaurs and yet when it launch it because a study in aggravation and disappointment.
  22. May 7, 2012
    Steam's worst ever release. UI doesn't work properly, uses other game's sound effects, crashes, bugs everywhere, horrible etc, do i even need to go on? It really is THE worst. I can't believe Valve rejects some games and approved this MESS. Do not buy. Some people are defending this just cause they're indie devs. You know what? Support good indie devs that make good games, like Lone survivor and A Valley without wind, NOT THIS! It's not even worth 1 cent. That's how awful it is. Buy anything but this. Expand
  23. May 6, 2012
    Orion: Dino Beatdown puts you in an open-world where you, along with four others, have to restore power to four bases (Dino survival game-mode, only game-mode currently available) using four types of vehicles (a hover bike with no armaments, a jeep with a machine gun, a robot and a VTOL-aircraft) in order to defeat the game. Each time you activate a generator, five waves of dinosaurs (made up of Raptors, T-rexes and flyings Rhams that can pick up players and drop them) will try to destroy the generator. If they are succesful, the base stores will close and you can no longer buy new equipment, upgrades, vehicles or resupply your character. You can, however, repair the generator. There are three classes the player can pick from and each of these have their own starting equipment and unique special ability. (The medic can heal, the soldier can fly and the scout can cloak). This all sounds like good fun and if everything works like it should, it can be. However, most of the time gameplay is marred by an incredible amount of bugs, haunted by constant crashing, poor graphics, monotony and the absence of a tutorial, leaving you to die many deaths before figuring out what it is exactly that the game wants of you and even after, you'll often get stuck inside the terrain, find yourself being forced to leave the server and rejoin just to sit the entire round out. In its current state, I could not recommend the game to any one; the developers need to step up and fix their product and never-ever release a game too early again. However, there are promises of (free) DLC on the horizon such as new maps, new game-modes and new dinosaurs and now the only question that remains is whether or not a software company can survive such a disastrous release? Bigger, more experienced companies have tried. And failed. Expand
  24. Feb 20, 2014
    I've seen the developer on the Steam forums telling people the meta score is wrong. The saddest thing I have ever seen on Steam.
    SOOOOOOOOOOO VERY BAD!
  25. May 2, 2013
    I can describe this game in actually two words. This is an example of a "piss-poor" game. Now if you're just a sadist? Buy it. And since this review had to be 150 characters long? All this is, is filler crap. I can't say anything good about this trashy title. And judging by a 36 rating across the board for metacritic? What a crappy title.
  26. Feb 20, 2014
    This is hands down the worst FPS I have ever played. It's a wonder that games like this are even allowed on Steam in the first place. The rebranding and pleading with potential customers on the forums is a sad attempt at reviving this unpolished turd.
  27. Apr 17, 2013
    I'm sure I played this game and hated it.. that's right I did. Why the new name?

If you don't know what I'm talking about, this game is ORION: Dino Horde. Same game, new name. It's still bad and still has stolen art. http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/orion-dino-horde
  28. May 11, 2012
    Nope. Don't buy. This game is nowhere near ready to be released. The devs say that a "last minute addition to the game" caused the bugs that are present, but it is hard to believe that could result in the massive amount of fail in this game. The framerate chugs (and I have a higher-end pc), the environments are redundant (you can easily see the pattern in the environments by using your jetpack to get to a high place), the graphics are below average, the enemy AI is extremely retarded (They are rarely able to find their way into a building if you're hiding in one). Fortunately for you, you probably won't have to experience these bugs because more than likely you will not even be able to start up the game or join a server. I have yet to be able to play with my friends because I either mysteriously lose connection, or the server (which is populated by just 1 or 2 of my friends) says that it's full with invisible men that don't really exist. Sure it may be a cheap game but the devs have so far failed to meet their promises of goods in return for my money. It's like I went to Subway and paid the 8 dollars for a meal and they just gave me bread crumbs in return. What do you expect me to do with this? The devs even went so far as to pretty much commit fraudulant advertising for their game. They say you can blow up everything with their destructible environments. No. The only thing you can destroy the in the game are the vehicles, yourself, and dinos. It's class based, but there are only 3 classes so don't get excited. It's suppose to be fast-paced. No. You can hide in the buildings and it will take forever for the dinos to find you. You can kill tons of dinosaurs! No. Sure, there are waves with tons of dinos in them, but there are only three different types (raptors, trex, pterodactyl). They say the dino AI is dynamic. If you consider them running into walls and getting stuck in corners trying to find their way into the building, then sure, it's dynamic. They say you can go anywhere in huge, endless environments. No. The environments are pretty large, but they sure as hell aren't endless. On the steam forums, the developers lock threads where players offer criticisms for the game. They say they are offering ingame incentives because of how badly the game has launched. Uhhh, the large majority of us can't even play the game so how the hell is that going to help us? Bottom line is that if you buy this "game", you will regret it. Save yourself the time and cash and stay far, far away from this title and anything else that happens to come from this piece of trash developer. Expand
  29. Mar 23, 2014
    worst steam purchase ever. game feels like an alpha, and not even a good one. it's just extremely lacking. look up video reviews before buying it, even at $1 it's not worth it imho.
  30. Oct 22, 2012
    this is the most disappointment you will ever get out of a ten dollar bill.
    there is a lot i could say but i can only tell you that five months post-release they finally turned this game into a beta and removed all of the original content and replaced it two extremely small maps and a whole lot of lip service and they made the game-play so much harder it's sure to make even the finest of
    gamers rage-quit. and two months after that, it's still in the same condition. after taking away all the game's content, spiral studios has produced nothing but images of stuff they say they will include but they have yet to actually produce anything new in the game. Dave Prassel, the ceo of spiral studios, is admittedly using this game only to fund his main project and any content that this game receives in the future will only be the leftovers from his main project. dino beatdown is nothing but a testing ground for orion prelude and Prassel does not give a **** about this game.
    DO NOT WASTE TEN DOLLARS ON THIS GAME and if someone gives it to you as a gift, you need to promptly de-friend that person. yes, it's that bad...

1. May 1, 2013
    It may be fun if we play with friends for a few hours… but it may be not. There are many games fighting in the FPS genre, and it's very hard to find something worth highlighting in this one.
  2. Apr 28, 2013
    While Orion: Dino Horde has potential, it will certainly fall short of even modest expectations. If it weren't for there already being quite the track record of bad Jurassic games, I'd suggest that fighting dinosaurs has never been so dull. A shame, since it's evident that the developers put a lot of time into it... it's just too bad they didn't focus on making it fun.
  3. Apr 28, 2013
    Perhaps I shouldn’t have been surprised that ORION: Dino Horde was such a disappointment. The gaming industry has been rife with rumors about scurrilous behaviour concerning a very similar title, Dino Beatdown. ORION: Dino Horde's rough edges suggest that it has been quickly brought to market and cynically shoveled out to gamers in the vain hope that its over the top premise will bring in a few bucks.