Our Darker Purpose PC

7.0

1. Feb 28, 2014
    Our Darker Purpose is what many would call a "Binding of Isaac ripoff" I really wish that were the case, because if it were the fundamental mechanics of ODP would be sound...sadly, they aren't. Two glaring issues in particular wreck the whole game.

What horrible wasted potential, too. The art style and many of the design decisions are provocative...and, like The Binding of Isaac, this had some truly awesome potential as a "rogue-lite" experience...but two things completely screw it up. Hear me out...

Firstly, the hit boxes. I've heard some people complain about inaccurate hitbox detection, but the real problem I see are the shapes of the said hitboxes themselves.

In The Binding of Isaac, the player is by design small with a circular head so that the player's hitbox can be a perfect square (projectiles can pass through the lower part of the feet). Long story short? Isaac was pretty close to an even, square, hitbox.

But, in ODP, the player's hitbox is rectangular...meaning the player is more susceptible to damage from the left and right side because the hitbox is wider there. This is kind of an annoyance, and I am guessing it's not by intentional design.

The other big problem is the dodge mechanic. Sounds fun and useful, but simply "speeding up" doesn't make a dodge mechanic useful. Most dodge mechanics add a split-second of vulnerability...otherwise you wouldn't use them, as you'd be flinging yourself into damage.

In ODP, the dodge mechanic just tosses you into danger. There is no window of invulnerability even though, oddly enough, there is a cooldown on the mechanic itself. But, the amount of projectiles on screen at times is almost reminiscent of bullet hell shmups, and using the dodge mechanic is almost certainly more likely to get you hit than anything else.

The only exception is when trying to outrun enemies that are faster than you, it is useful...but if tBoI got away without a dodge, why bother with it here if it's not really useful?

I just don't see how botching the combat this badly could be by design...but either way, it kinda messes up what could have been a great game.

1. May 7, 2014
    Binding of Isaac with the ability to roll wrapped in the visual style of Don’t Starve – that’s Our Darker Purpose in a nutshell.
  2. Mar 11, 2014
    Our Darker Purpose has clearly been inspired by other games, but it offers a different enough takes on some mechanics to stand on its own feet and deliver a very compelling experience.
  3. Feb 12, 2014
    The reason to play Our Darker Purpose is for a hopeful sense of what it might eventually become if the developers at Avidly Wild Games can make it less ponderous. Because it looks and sounds great, with scads of insidious Victorian style where Binding of Isaac has only its weird coarseness.