8.4

1. Sep 4, 2013
    Perhaps, in the past two or three years, this is the scariest and most atmospheric game.
    Outlast can safely bring the textbooks to create atmospheric games. I think, or to be more precise I hope that thanks to games such as Outlast, survival-horror genre, or horrors can be reborn in the form in which it was once born.
    Game developers studio Red Barrels cheers! And a special thank
    Game developers studio Red Barrels cheers!
    And a special thank you for adding text Russian localization a bow and thanks to all Russian-speaking players!
    Bravo!
    10 out of 10.
  2. Sep 4, 2013
    Wasted potential. So much wasted potential.
    This game lures you in with some great graphics and a neat little camera gimmick. To be fair to the game the graphics are gorgeously rendered. The camera's Night Vision effect in particular is well done and it's nice to actually see Mile's hands when he actually performs an action.
    However, the experience starts to fall apart almost
    Wasted potential. So much wasted potential.

However, the experience starts to fall apart almost immediately. What's wrong with this game? Well where do I begin? For one, the setting. Asylums are seriously overplayed as horror settings. We get it, crazy people are scary. The so-called scares are predictable and hokey. The story is the same warmed over pap we've seen over and over and over and over and over again. An evil Mega Corporation has been performing unethical experiments that got completely out of control blah blah blah blah blah blah blah Mercernaries blah blah Ham fisted religious undertones blah. There's no mystery at all. Furthermore it falls into the exact same trap that the Dead Space games fell into. The graphic designers are so proud of their work on the monsters that they just can't bear to keep their babies in the dark, so they have the monsters prance around in plain view like they're so happy to be seen. Also, the poorly designed stealth mechanics make enemy encounters frustrating rather than scary.

I see that the game was heavily marketed as being "designed by veterans of some of the biggest franchises in history." This is a flaw as far as I can see. These veterans just kept on doing the same thing they've always done, and the result is that they did the same thing we've always done and the game falls into the same traps it always has. These developers could have learned so much from the Amnesia series since it's obvious that Outlast desperately wants to be Amnesia. The developers would have benefited from another playthrough.
  3. Sep 5, 2013
    As said before, the game loses his essence of horror itself on the very 10~30 minutes. After that is "go there", "oh, there's a very predictable problem and you have to take another route", "oh a bad guy on the way and you gotta run and hide, hearing your heavy breathing" etc...

Horror?! Seriously, Gone Home was scarier. Seems like a bad movie where you can't wait for it to finish

Horror?! Seriously, Gone Home was scarier.

Seems like a bad movie where you can't wait for it to finish and say for sure "yeah it sucks".
    It amazes me how a game that took me about 4 hours to finish, bored me as much Outlast did.

The idea of "can't fight any enemy" made me think that "this could be interesting", but the AI is really easy to outrun. I didn't ran out of battery neither died on the entire game play (pretty much the entire meta-game).

And what about the notes?! Some crack-wise spiderman-like comments from a character that runs the entire game...

I was expecting much, much more from this game. Very disappointing.

I'm giving 3 because the gore was delivered as promised.
  4. Sep 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. "Outlast" is probably one of the best horror games released in the past time, but it has its problems.

The atmosphere is pretty good, but most of the tension comes from all the crazy people surrounding you and the corpses that are ripped apart in the most disgusting ways.

People may be having another opinion on this, but I don't like that there are so many jumpscares in this game. "Amnesia: The Dark Descent" for example doesn't have this many jumpscares but is way scarier due to its amazing atmosphere.

The camera with night vision is a great idea, I like it more that lanterns or flashlights because you can take a closer look at the amazing monster design without getting found.

"Outlast" gets a bit over-violent in the end, I don't think it is necessary to put hundreds of litres of blood on the walls and the floor to make the player fear the final enemy.

The end of "Outlast" is pure in my opinion. I never like it when the main character dies at the end of a game, but in a horror game it just feels completely unnecessary. The player feels sorry for Miles because he has to go through all of this and in the end the developers think "Let's just kill Miles. That'll make a great ending!"

Even though it has it little problems and the worst game ending since Mass Effect 3, "Outlast" is a very good horror game with a good atmosphere and a deep story.
  5. Mar 26, 2014
    The atmosphere and visuals are very well done, and lend greatly to the overall experience of the game. As a veteran to horror titles, however, I found the 'horror' aspect of the game to be somewhat lacking. Outlast certainly has it's share of creepy moments and well timed jump scares and is still a great game overall, but beyond the polish it felt as though something more was missing.The atmosphere and visuals are very well done, and lend greatly to the overall experience of the game. As a veteran to horror titles, however, I found the 'horror' aspect of the game to be somewhat lacking. Outlast certainly has it's share of creepy moments and well timed jump scares and is still a great game overall, but beyond the polish it felt as though something more was missing.

My one real gripe with the game is that the vast majority of enemies you encounter in the game all follow a similar 'search and chase' AI that takes little effort to outsmart, which greatly detracts from the immersion and fear of evading and escaping them. There were also several times throughout the game when the "activate X number of things while evading a patrol" mechanic was used, all of which boiled down to performing the exact same "stay out of sight and move when they move" tactic, which took away from the overall experience for me. There were also a few times where I would become more frustrated than frightened over trying to deal with and evade enemies as I progressed.

All of that said however, Outlast is still a very satisfying game to play, and is worth the asking price. Gameplay is smooth and fluid, character interaction with the environment is an uncommon and welcome touch, and the night vision mechanic is implemented very well. While it's not a game I would play through again, I certainly recommend it to anyone looking for another title in the horror genre to keep them occupied.
  6. Jan 9, 2014
    The atmosphere and sound of this game make it a true horror experience. It gives you that feeling of wanting to play to finish the game but also not wanting to play due to the fear it brings.

Slightly linear at times and repetitive objectives slightly drag down the score but well worth a go for horror fans.
  7. May 25, 2014
    Good game, an actually good looking scary game, not many are like that. This game does not do a lot of cheap jump scares even though it has a few, the scares most comes from the environment it creates, it has so much tension that the first 2 or 3 hours of play will likely to be broken down into 40minute sessions so you can take a break in between.

The games main problem is that it loses

The games main problem is that it loses its scare about half way in, you are no longer as frightened and do not feel as vulnerable, because evading the enemy is not too difficult, and that a close up on an enemy's deformed face really loses the scare, because no matter how scary and menacing the enemy, it is not as scary as the unknown, the shadow, a sound etc...

But overall, a lot of fun and scares, especially considering that its a new studio and an indie game.
  8. Nov 17, 2013
    Nice game with great atmosphere of fear. For many players it would be really terrifying. But it really lacks some puzzles, just go there and do than with no getting killed. So gameplay gets really repetitive and boring after some play time. And the ending really lacks something. It is a bit Good game, but it could be better,
  9. Mar 10, 2014
    If this would be a horror, it should be different. I can say that the beggining was the best, then everything exagerated. Why you have to walk so much and suddenly you hit a ' crazed ' employee. This is not what I expected, truly, my opinion. I was waiting for a action-horror.
  10. May 27, 2014
    The developers of Outlast were smart in that they basically borrowed elements from different horror media to create an epic horror game that you won't soon forget.

A lot of Amnesia is borrowed in that you can't fight or do anything remotely offensive- it's just you and your ability to stay hidden. Fortunately, the *things* you're hiding from can't see in the dark. And, boy is there plenty of dark for you to hide in. As a matter of fact, without the night vision, this game would be altogether unplayable.

The atmosphere is one that is horrifying even when not much is going on and that's mainly due to the incredible sounds that keep the game going. There's a constant and relentless eery feeling that there's something right around the corner.

Now as for the story, I personally felt it could have been fleshed out a bit more, and I felt the ending to be a bit disappointing. But I don't want to spoil anything about the game, so I'll leave you to come to any conclusions yourself about that.

I'd recommend this game to ANYONE who's PC can handle it and would advise that you use headphones or your surround sound system (if playing on a TV) The game truly relies on the aforementioned atmospheric sounds to create a unique and unforgettable experience.
  11. Jun 3, 2014
    Not so many games have this unique feel of atmosphere to them these days. Though the writing and characters are not that unique and experimental as the other aspects of the game suggest, this survival horror game has a well-designed flow and balanced gameplay, which is coherent with its story.

In my opinion the weakest part of the game is its writing, content and character designs, specifically its main antagonist whose appearance and nature makes an absolute flaw in the player's immersion in this hyper-realistic looking world.
  12. Aug 31, 2014
    For the first hour, Outlast was genuinely terrifying. I was immersed in the rather spooky, if a bit cliché setting and tentatively moving forward, progressing at a snail's pace for fear of what was around the corner. But after that first hour or so, the linear level design and objectives begin to feel formulaic, with enemy chase scenes feeling overused to the point that one becomesFor the first hour, Outlast was genuinely terrifying. I was immersed in the rather spooky, if a bit cliché setting and tentatively moving forward, progressing at a snail's pace for fear of what was around the corner. But after that first hour or so, the linear level design and objectives begin to feel formulaic, with enemy chase scenes feeling overused to the point that one becomes slightly desensitised to the jump scares. The same could be said with the excessive blood and gore. I think Outlast could've been improved if it relied a little more on subtle scares and building suspense instead of the overt 'in your face' approach that the game takes throughout its entire length. That's not to say the game isn't somewhat scary. Outlast does it better than most, but it's hardly outstanding.

The story is unfortunately another weak point. To put it bluntly, it's uninspired, predictable and the ending is underwhelming to say the least. On the bright side, both the visuals and audio are of high quality, the core gameplay mechanics work decently, and your character controls smoothly.

Overall rating: 7.4/10
  13. Jan 7, 2014
    I never felt so helpless and scared while playing the game. Also I had never gotten such strong emotions (mostly fear) from the video game. This game is highly recommended if you want to try something new, and if you have enough balls...
  14. Feb 24, 2014
    Scariest game I've played so far easily. Does a good job of balancing jump scares along with just overall creepiness and atmosphere. Was slightly disappointed in the story by the end of it but that's just me. Overall very good game.
  15. Feb 23, 2014
    If you want something like Amnesia: The Dark Descent, then this is the game to play. It's not as atmospheric as Amnesia, nor is the storyline as intriguing, but you will still love Outlast start to finish.

The scares are all done the right way. You will find yourself jumping out of your seat many times. You will find yourself in constant paranoia and getting bursts of fear-induced adrenaline for the large chunk of the game. The gameplay isn't mind-blowing, but still holds up extremely well.

The only negative point I'll give this game is that some of the level design is very poor, and you could find yourself running around in circles or possibly getting killed because it can be cramped, confusing and repetitive, though that doesn't ruin the game in any sense. Overall, if horror games are your thing, this'll probably be in your top 10.
  16. Oct 10, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. There are very few reasons why I didn't give this game a 10/10.

One is that by the time you get to the last parts of the game, it's no longer scary.
    Also the game could have exploited some ideas way better, for example (SPOILER) when the main character loses the camera, they could have done more things there to make you suffer, instead you find the camera kinda fast and it's kinda ''meh''.
    The other thing is the plot twist at the end. (WARNING MORE SPOILERS) So you get into this asylum full of crazy dangerous people... and in the end it turns out its some spooooooooky ghost? What the f***? That was very disappointing to me BUUUUT other than that, the game is gold.

Scariest game I've played IN YEARS, plus some extra points for the mention of the MK Ultra experiments, nice stuff.
  17. May 19, 2014
    A solid effort! If you like survival horror movies with all those cheap scares then you will really like this. Its not massively clever, but in terms of suspense this has it in spades. I would like to see the developers branch out a bit more into an interactive and psychological horror movie with a bit more immersion than just reading documents and taking videos. But over all this is aA solid effort! If you like survival horror movies with all those cheap scares then you will really like this. Its not massively clever, but in terms of suspense this has it in spades. I would like to see the developers branch out a bit more into an interactive and psychological horror movie with a bit more immersion than just reading documents and taking videos. But over all this is a good game that does a very good job at what it was made for. Expand
  18. Apr 7, 2014
    Here I am a grown man and this game scared the living bejesus out of me. Wowzers. If you like horror video games you're going to like it. I had to sometimes stop playing at night because I was so scared.
  19. Oct 21, 2013
    Quite possibly the best horror game I've ever played. I was genuinely terrified throughout most of this game. My only real criticism is the ending which was far too abrupt. The rest of the game was extremely atmospheric and made to very high standards.

I really enjoyed the use of the video camera which can record certain events and help you to see in the dark. In fact, the night vision on the camera is the most realistic I've ever seen in a video game.

There were several jump scares but the real scares came during the moments when the unpredictable AI was hunting me. The sound design is another great aspect of this game. It made the scary parts even more scary and helped alleviate some of the cheesy-ness of the jump scares.

All in all, a fantastic game with a great flare for the survival horror genre. Amnesia is in trouble.
  20. Sep 14, 2013
    If you are ever constipated just play this game, kidding, but with joking aside it was a really horrifying game. I was only able to play it for an hour at a time cause I would get so stressed and freaked out. The atmosphere is perfect, voice acting is perfect...everything about the game is perfect. Without giving away the ending, I will say that it was the perfect ending and a good twist.If you are ever constipated just play this game, kidding, but with joking aside it was a really horrifying game. I was only able to play it for an hour at a time cause I would get so stressed and freaked out. The atmosphere is perfect, voice acting is perfect...everything about the game is perfect. Without giving away the ending, I will say that it was the perfect ending and a good twist. The only problem I have with the game is that I wish it was much longer., but that is such a minor complaint that I don't think it should effect it's overall score. If you like horror games then definitely go and buy this, worth every penny. Expand
  21. Sep 19, 2013
    The atmosphere in this game is amazing,so is the sound and the graphics are very well made, I have played about 2 hours and cant stop. Most horror games now are horrific... this is a very well made and has a lot of small details that add to the experience, you should buy this.
  22. Oct 11, 2013
    Its a great game never played a game so intense. You really feel scared and i couldnt play it for a long time without taking a break. They did a real good job. So if you like horror survival games like Amnesia and want to experience something new you should get this game. Unfortunately i read a spoiler on IGN and that ruined the ending for me. Shame on you IGN for not removing it! ButIts a great game never played a game so intense. You really feel scared and i couldnt play it for a long time without taking a break. They did a real good job. So if you like horror survival games like Amnesia and want to experience something new you should get this game. Unfortunately i read a spoiler on IGN and that ruined the ending for me. Shame on you IGN for not removing it! But nevertheless like many others i didnt like it much anyway. Also for the sequel a little more challenge and variation. Expand
  23. Jun 7, 2014
    This is one of the best horror games I have played. Mind you, it is more like a walk (or run) through a haunted house than a game. There are no puzzles elements other than hunting for camcorder batteries, crawlspaces to squeeze through, or various objects like key cards and fuses to get you on your way. There is no combat. All you can do is run and hide.
    I have been bored by other
    I have been bored by other games in the genre with little to do but explore in the dark (Amnesia x2, Among the Sleep, Year Walk, Gone Home).
    Something is different about Outlast. The atmosphere. The sound design. The Lighting. It is just a great creepy experience. The characters themselves don't have the best graphics and animation, but look at the original Silent Hill. People eat that up and the graphics are horrible by today's standards. Outlast sets a mood and keeps it going.
    Sure you can play it on easy and take a lot of hits and just run through the whole thing. The check points are not far apart, so nobody is going to be frustrated by having to replay long passages. But if you are as careful and possible and play with an "I don't want to die" attitude, you will run for your life and your heart will pound as you hope you chose the right bed under which to hide.
    For a $20 indie game it is excellent. It is long enough to get to play through a few different environments with a few novel twist to the formula, but it isn't so long that it gets too repetitive and tedious.
    It is more like watching a movie than playing a video game. It reminds me of the final scene of The Shinning when Danny is running for his life from Jack, except you are Danny and you are running and hiding for your life. I don't think a game has ever gotten me so wound up that I can't play it anywhere near bedtime. It has been a long time since a game did that, as some of the Dead Space and Silent Hill games did.
  24. May 10, 2014
    Outlast is one of the horror games that'll leave you on the edge of your seats as you frantically try to escape and hide from your pursuers.

Some commendable aspects of Outlast is its phenomenal sound engine and atmospherically well-detailed environment. Unfortunately, the game has some "problems" in many areas and one of them is its duration. My experience on the 'Normal' difficulty

Unfortunately, the game has some "problems" in many areas and one of them is its duration. My experience on the 'Normal' difficulty lasted for about 6 hours, and that can be quite dettering for people who are interested to pick this up (Price as of right now is 19.99 w/o any discounts).

Another "problem" is its horrible, asinine and abrupt ending...

Definitely worth picking up during a sale any time, any day. Awesome horror game!
  25. May 13, 2014
    Absolutely the best horror game in a moment. The story is interesting and the jump-scares are not too scary. Survival feeling makes this game special and surprising. The best horror game in the moment but still 7/10. Only the story mode makes the game too small.
  26. Jun 16, 2014
    I often forgot this was a game. Outlast does such an amazing job of creating these unique identities for the handful of psychos stalking you in the asylum that it created this sense of realism I have not found in a game in a long time.
    I dodged this game for months thinking it would just be full of cheap jump scares, but it is not. It has a very detailed world to explore and a very solid story to unravel.
    It became apparent at some point that the developers were afraid the game was turning out to be too short and started stretching out the gameplay. This stretched gameplay is not bad quality, but serves to add a lot of question marks to your thought pattern when you reach them.
    My only real complaint would be the rare but over-used character models for the more common variants. Occasionally, I would come across a character that I would think was someone I had already encountered before, only to find out it was just another NPC using the same model, which would remind me that this is only a game quickly.
    Overall, this game scared its way into my favorite games list. Watching my little cousin jump so much during the first five minutes that I thought he was going to damage my system was worth the base price alone. I was sad to read that Whistleblower concludes the story.
  27. Sep 21, 2013
    I just finished this game, It was an amazing experience with an awesome atmosphere for every moment. It had plenty of moments which scared the crap out of me but it was too much fun to stop playing. Easily one of the best horror games around. Thank you Red Barrels Games for making this experience possible and I hope for many more games from this company.
  28. Oct 25, 2013
    The scariest horror game i've ever played. Seriously, I do not know of a single horror game that's this scary. (and yes i've played Amnesia and Slender, Slender is terrible.)
  29. Dec 6, 2013
    First of all. GREAT! All i could ever want of this game would be MORE. This is a psychological horror, burying deep down into your mind and F*cks with it. Roughly.
    There are 3 things that makes a game great.
    There are 3 things that makes a game great.

1. Gameplay. Is the gameplay easy to control? is it easy maneuvering in the world? Yes. everything feels smooth, and fluid. this also includes possibilities and interactivity. atmosphere is also included here. Outlast nails all of them.

2. Plot. Is it a good story? Do you WANT to complete the objectives? What motivates you? well, yes. first, i felt pretty drawn forward by the fact that i was scared sh!tless. And also, you develop a personal hate to the bossing psychopaths in the asylum. So killing them brutally becomes the extreme wish. this is where the game wins.

3. Engine. Graphics, sounds, animations. 4-5 here. but for the price, i'm not disappointed.

First, play amnesia. Then play this. you'll love it if you loved amnesia. i'd even prefer this over amnesia

Best horror game. EVER.
  30. Sep 24, 2013
    Didn't actually play it; watched Pewdiepie's playthrough.
    Even so, really enjoyed the gameplay and the end was pretty satisfactory. Interesting stuff, recommend you get it if you're not scared easily (or if you are).
  31. Sep 20, 2013
    I actually really liked this game, it makes you dig for the back-story and can be a little repetitive but it's not that terrible. I though the controls were great and it had a little bit of creepy lore. The visuals were amazing, as well as the graphics, especially for an indie game. Red Barrels did an amazing job and gave us, well my favorite indie horror game since Amnesia: The DarkI actually really liked this game, it makes you dig for the back-story and can be a little repetitive but it's not that terrible. I though the controls were great and it had a little bit of creepy lore. The visuals were amazing, as well as the graphics, especially for an indie game. Red Barrels did an amazing job and gave us, well my favorite indie horror game since Amnesia: The Dark Descent, and I don't see why some people didn't like it. Well no I take that back, the game might just not be for some people, but I think most people underrate the game very badly and for an indie game it looks, plays and controls great and has a very creepy atmosphere. You will also need patience to play this game because it can be slow paced at times and I think people lack that along with no combat, I can see why some cough *COD* type player might not like it. Expand
  32. Oct 30, 2013
    Best horror game since Amnesia The Dark Descent. Towards the end, it looses its pace but its still a great game. Short, dark and frightening. This game will really test your nerves.
  33. Dec 31, 2013
    With a influx of action horror games or lack luster "horror" games example Machine For Pigs, it's wonderful to see a breath of fresh air. The game is the BEST horror game to come out, excellent atmosphere, interesting story and some great characters. Simply fantastic.

For a more in depth review here's my video http://youtu.be/Aets5kSayd8
  34. Aug 6, 2014
    It is scary, it is enough hard, plot is "fine" not extremely good but fine, cool ending.
    The atmosphere is amazing and some of the foes really "unusual", graphics are cool.
    The idea that you should record main happenings with the camera (it's not compulsory but you must use the camera to see something in the dark) makes everything similar to be in a movie like rec or esp, it's simply a great Idea!.
    As other similar games, you cannot fight foes only try to run but especially you will find yourself hiding, but remember that if they see you hiding they will still get you (of course) .
    Second only to amnesia:the dark descent just for the lack of little puzzles (and because amnesia cannot be defeated ) :D .
    One of my best purchases. I probably will buy the dlc as soon as it is on sale!
    85/100 and a 9 on metacritic as a little gift for the unknown producer!
  35. Sep 16, 2013
    This game is what Amnesia could've been. When I think about my favorite horror titles from all time, I think about Silent Hill 2, Penumbra Black Plague and now this one. This review is going to be made with comparisons to Amnesia the Dark Descent, as it is claimed to be one of the best horror games of all time, while I try to justify the score of 8/10.

The setting is an Asylum, which is

The setting is an Asylum, which is slightly overplayed in horror but there haven't actual horror games I've played in the past decade that actually happen in it's entirety within one and it follows the rules of horror splendidly. Anyone can die at any time, including the protagonist. Bad things will happen to him and, although the ending was horrid, it still fit within the archetype of a horror story which made me appreciate it.

The story is rather straightforward and somewhat clichéd. A company has reopened a massive asylum and has been performed not so ethical treatments within it that eventually go wrong. You are a journalist who's going to expose the company by breaking into the Asylum with only your wits and your trusty camera. Bad idea.

So what does Outlast do right, what does it do wrong, and why is it scary? I'll try to explain this in as much detail as possible.

The first comparison I will draw to Amnesia will happen right here, monster patrols. In Outlast, monster appearances are scripted, which is okay. The game is linear, the developers know where the player will come from and what his objective will be, they predict what they are going to do and react accordingly by preparing a nasty inmate to scare the balls out of you. This is done right in some instances, wrong in others. It's done wrong when you complete an objective and a monster just starts knocking at the closed door to break into where you are, and because you already expected this from playing all sorts of horror games were already hidden in the locker making it ineffective. It does it right when you get to an illuminated area thinking you're safe and the guy is actually hiding in the darkness in the distance, fully capable of seeing you and running at you. If you manage to escape and hide, and therefore not die because you have no means of defending yourself, he will eventually go away. Amnesia, does exactly the same thing, but this is where A.I. Behavior differs. The insane men of Outlast will keep patrolling a scripted path back and forth sometimes reacting to sound, sometimes not, while the monsters of Amnesia will wander off and eventually disappear once the music queue for monsters stops playing. Outlast manages to be scarier within this aspect, because the monsters are present and might catch you again, making you have to be on your toes constantly.

The game is DARK. There is no 'dark vision' besides the night vision of your camera which in itself is horrible. This is not a bad thing. The lack of visibility makes the player more anxious, mainly if you can hear the guy who's out to kill you. You don't know where he is, and if you run into him face first you won't expect it. A careful player, who uses his camera correctly, might be able to go through the entire game without triggering any of the non-scripted encounters. But even then your heart will be pumping the entire time as the game pulls some unexpected tricks on you. Like a patient who's on a bed starts screaming calling the mad surgeon who's out to kill you to that location.

Hiding spots aren't always effective, not even when a monster's seen you going into a room and closing the door to break line of sight. For the first half of the game you feel relatively safe when you see a hiding place but eventually the baddies will get smarter and actually check these places, making nowhere really safe. The player is never safe, and the game conveys this message splendidly in the second half as according to the rules of horror.

However, I believe the enemies are slower than you, only having heard of a friend of mine being caught while escaping from a baddie and getting instantly killed. Because you can always escape, there is less tension than in Amnesia where the grunts were always faster. But, they balance this out by actually checking hiding spots as I've mentioned earlier. If you're running in a panic for a long time you're liable to make mistakes that will kill you.

Graphically the game is just fine. I'm not a man who puts a lot of emphasis on graphics so I can't objectively tell the reader how good they are, the only thing actually bothering me in the game was how from a certain point to the very end, the blood on the main character's hands was always a wet texture. I understand that he never gets time to do anything about it, but the other explanation would be that he'd die from blood loss.

OverallI rate the game an 8/10, a good game in the horror genre. It makes the same mistakes as some of it's predecessors, but brings with it some changes that might scare a gamer who's experienced in the genre.
  36. Jul 16, 2014
    This is one of my favourite horror games of the last 10 years. I played this back on release and have since played through the main story 3 times despite me knowing where the scripted scares are the game still manages to get me on edge and scare me. The atmosphere is incredibly well crafted by the soundtrack and the great visuals, gore litters the asylum and so do inmates some who areThis is one of my favourite horror games of the last 10 years. I played this back on release and have since played through the main story 3 times despite me knowing where the scripted scares are the game still manages to get me on edge and scare me. The atmosphere is incredibly well crafted by the soundtrack and the great visuals, gore litters the asylum and so do inmates some who are hostile and some who aren't. The game does a fantastic job of bringing back the great horror games that we've been missing this past decade. Expand
  37. Sep 20, 2013
    Truly one of the best psychological horror games ever made.

Storyline: Scary as it may be, I was quite confused with the story. The story produced so many possibilities that I did not know what I'm up against until the last quarter of the game. But all-in-all, the story was still good. All it needs is a little effort to understand. Quality/Appearance: Perfectly detailed to give a
    Truly one of the best psychological horror games ever made.

Quality/Appearance: Perfectly detailed to give a realistic and a horrifying atmosphere. There are two specific things that I would like to praise from Outlast. First, if something gets cut-offed, it remains cut-offed for the rest of the game. Second, unlike most FPS games, you can actually see your lower body if you look down! The great thing about Outlast is that it pays attention to the small details. Don't understand what I'm saying? Good because I don't like spoiling. Although I might have, just a little bit.

Music/Sounds: Orchestrated to effectively induce shivers and suspense. Like most horror games, if the music suddenly rises in tune or changes its mood, you would know that it's your cue to run. And you will definitely run.

Gameplay: Outstanding. Outlast is genuinely realistic to the point that the gameplay reminds you that the character you're playing is just a simple human being who happens to be caught in a horrible situation and just wants to escape. How? You're weak and you don't have the ability to fight mutilated mad men so you just hide and run. That's the most normal reaction you can get from a frightened person.

Horror score: A truck-full of WTFs, OMGs, and an encyclopedia of curses.. And 9 pairs of pants that has sh*t.

Conclusion: Kudos to the developers. Outlast is definitely one of the best games of 2013 and you'll definitely miss out if you don't play it.
  38. Sep 17, 2013
    This game is polished and well crafted, the controls are intuitive, the gameplay is fluid, the gameplay is also horrifying. I can't even get into finishing this game, heads up, it's scary. If you're into scary things and being brave, this is your cup of tea. It's like a bravery training sim for real life. The game also switches up on you unlike amnesia later into the game, so it dosn'tThis game is polished and well crafted, the controls are intuitive, the gameplay is fluid, the gameplay is also horrifying. I can't even get into finishing this game, heads up, it's scary. If you're into scary things and being brave, this is your cup of tea. It's like a bravery training sim for real life. The game also switches up on you unlike amnesia later into the game, so it dosn't become terribly tedious, all the hiding and avoiding bad guys dosn't grow so stale so quickly, if you like horror games where you can't defend yourself, this is your time to buy. As far as survival-horror games go this is at least a 8 or 9 out of ten. Expand
  39. Sep 24, 2013
    Great horror game! Haven't found a game that actually made me scream or jump since Slender. I waited a long time for it and wasn't disappointed. Never know what to expect next. Unpredictable moments. Unique ability to look behind you while running. Makes you wonder when you'll ever need/want to do this. The graphics are beautiful and creepy at the same time. The frame-rate stays at aGreat horror game! Haven't found a game that actually made me scream or jump since Slender. I waited a long time for it and wasn't disappointed. Never know what to expect next. Unpredictable moments. Unique ability to look behind you while running. Makes you wonder when you'll ever need/want to do this. The graphics are beautiful and creepy at the same time. The frame-rate stays at a perfect 60, and that's with 2x SGSSAA enabled on a single GTX 660 Ti! Excellent optimization! The only gripe I have is that I can't record the game properly with any capture software. I'm having to use an iPod Touch to make my Let's Plays... blugh! A mini-gripe I had was that there's no option to disable motion blur, but that didn't stop me from digging around in config files to fix it. Outlast is truly an epic horror experience. Depending on your room lighting, headphones quality, chair comfort, etc. will depend on the scare intensity, I've had the lights on and screamed plenty of times! I love it! Expand
  40. Oct 10, 2013
    This game is AMAZING. I love horror genre but this game IS SO MUCH MORE!
    This game is AMAZING. I love horror genre but this game IS SO MUCH MORE!
    It's almost perfect for what it does. To be honest, I didn't pay much attention to the story, because it's basicly was story driven for the first 15 minutes or so. And then your main objective is just to GET THE HELL OUT. And that's what you were doing all that time. So, yeah, the story is kinda basic and predictible, but everything else is top notch.
    This is the best horror game I've played since Amnesia and Outlast surpasses it by a long shot. It's better in every way.
    This game really got me scared, to the point when I needed to take a break for like every other 30 minutes from it, because the tension was ubereable.
    Graphics are oustanding. One of the best looking game for the past year, effects are awesome, and it's the best in it's genre for sure.
    I've tried Machine for Pigs and it just didn't cut it for me after Outlast. Amnesia was scary, right, but after this game it's like walking in the park. I wasn't scared in Machine for Pigs, it was like a kid's game. Outlast is ruined horror for me :D And I'm glad it did.
    If you like horror games, try this out. For it's price it's excellent. This game is a strong 9 out of 10, I don't believe any horror games from the past couple of years come even close to the Outlast. I hope we will see more from this developer. Games like this come once in a decade. It's almost perfect in every way.
  41. Dec 1, 2013
    Outlast takes a very popular approach for its Horror part A DARK PLACE ARMLESS SEE BUNCH OF CREEPOS TO COME on you .

Recently i just played Slender The Arrival didn't tried machine of pigs) and i was pretty disappointing with the gameplay it offered Now i was having Outlast with meh expectation but i was happy to see that most of the things in the game was at right places It was not a perfect game and had some flaws but overall Worth to play
  42. Dec 28, 2013
    нежданным.
    Благодарность играл.
    Слышал сделали.

Понимаю
  43. Jun 7, 2014
    Aside from all the stuff that's been given to this game about its "ruined storyline," Outlast for the PC created wonderful scares, an awesome sound design, and overall great experience for the player. The graphics make it so much more than the generic horror game, and professionally composed music score works perfectly with it. As the game goes on, you learn more about why you're in anAside from all the stuff that's been given to this game about its "ruined storyline," Outlast for the PC created wonderful scares, an awesome sound design, and overall great experience for the player. The graphics make it so much more than the generic horror game, and professionally composed music score works perfectly with it. As the game goes on, you learn more about why you're in an asylum, who you are, and what's going on. For $20, this is a great buy. 9/10. Expand
  44. Nov 12, 2013
    Game gives chills. Story is great,graphics are great, THE SOUND IS BEST.The sound in this game is sooo good, that i can't find any words to describe it. High quality horror game Giving it 10 with no doubt.
  45. Nov 10, 2013
    This game is absolutely amazing, even surpasses Amnesia the dark descent in graphics, textures, and the scare factor. Great story, always keeps you guessing. Just when you think you've finished, and you're home free, you aren't. The game keeps you constantly on your toes, and it does not rely on jump scares, as does some other scary PC games. Truly a great game, and a must have. CameraThis game is absolutely amazing, even surpasses Amnesia the dark descent in graphics, textures, and the scare factor. Great story, always keeps you guessing. Just when you think you've finished, and you're home free, you aren't. The game keeps you constantly on your toes, and it does not rely on jump scares, as does some other scary PC games. Truly a great game, and a must have. Camera used in the game is almost essential, and without it you are almost blind (Depending on whether you increase the brightness) Very scary and atmospheric. Great story, and very good plot. Expand
  46. Nov 13, 2013
    This is by far one of the most scariest games I've ever played. More than Amnesia the Dark Descent or the Slender.

To enjoy the max experience, use headset, crank it all the way up, turn off any lights, and play the game.

I actually had to turn this game offf several times because i couldn't handle the pressure. The build-up for all the jump scares are really nice.
  47. Dec 28, 2013
    I really enjoyed this game, I started off playing with mouse and keyboard but the 360 controller is by far the best way to play .
    This game is right up my alley, the story is twisted and the setting is the last place on earth I would want to be in person, this is the first horror game since Silent Hill 2 that I have been scared and had to really push myself to proceed into the nightmare which is going on in the game The tension in this game is awesome, having to always use the camera to see is a simple but very affective way of adding to the scary atmosphere and the fact you are defenceless sounds crap but offers excellent gameplay trying to survive the horror .
    I wont go into the story at all but in my opinion it just gets it right, I finished the game last night and would recommend this game to anyone, except people with heart conditions lol The game is best played alone, at night with the surround sound pumped up Enjoy
  48. Nov 23, 2013
    I love scary movies and games that can make you jump. This game is the closest thing to a scary as you will get for a long time. Lots of spots make you jump and keep you at the edge of your seat. Great work on this game, good visuals with creepy music and noises make this a must have for people looking for a game like this. But with that said there is many scenes in the game that couldI love scary movies and games that can make you jump. This game is the closest thing to a scary as you will get for a long time. Lots of spots make you jump and keep you at the edge of your seat. Great work on this game, good visuals with creepy music and noises make this a must have for people looking for a game like this. But with that said there is many scenes in the game that could bother some, def. not for young kids to play lots of adult content. Great game all around! Expand
  49. Feb 18, 2014
    One of the scariest games I have ever played. It brings me back to the good old days of Resident Evil for PlayStation, without the ability to defend myself. The only way to survive is to run, run, RUN!!! It's realism is the fact that you can't fight back, you can only hide. Do NOT underestimate the horror in this game.
  50. Jan 6, 2014
    Outlast is the second best survival horror title I've played to date (second to Amnesia: TDD). There are a few problems, but first let me go over what this game does right.

PROS Outlast has some gorgeous environments. Major props to whoever worked on the modeling, texturing, level design, and lighting. It looks great, and runs smoothish even on low-end machines. The sound design is

PROS
    Outlast has some gorgeous environments. Major props to whoever worked on the modeling, texturing, level design, and lighting. It looks great, and runs smoothish even on low-end machines. The sound design is also fantastic, as well as the game play. The tension and exploration is some of the best in gaming. I really liked the camera gimmick, although I don't think it would work too well to keep it going through sequels (if they happen). The pacing is fairly good, except for the first 45 minutes or so. The game had a slow start, but picks up fairly quickly once you hit the sewers. The story is interesting, although nothing special.

CONS
    Not very many cons here. The UI design is bland and uninteresting aside from the camera effects. The asylum environment is a bit played out at this point, and I would have liked a little more variety of environments. The fear elements were too often to be effective every time, and the jump scares could be seen coming a mile away. Also, a little variety in the types of encounters would have been nice. Every single encounter could be handled the exact same way.

*SLIGHT SPOILER* I was digging the supernatural story until I realized that it wasn't. But what was there was done a bit confusingly. I wasn't sure what had even happened, much less why or how.

Overall, worth the $20, but I would suggest getting it on sale. Very good game.
  51. Jan 6, 2014
    Outlast is a very dark and atmospheric horror game, that takes you to a remote mountain mental asylum to uncover it's secrets. The setting for the game, Mount Massive mental asylum, is a good location for horror movies or games, but admittedly is over-used. The game is mostly linear, with the exception of a few segments where you have a maze like area and you have to complete someOutlast is a very dark and atmospheric horror game, that takes you to a remote mountain mental asylum to uncover it's secrets. The setting for the game, Mount Massive mental asylum, is a good location for horror movies or games, but admittedly is over-used. The game is mostly linear, with the exception of a few segments where you have a maze like area and you have to complete some objective, often while being hunted by a deranged ex-patient. The asylum is well done in general, there is good attention to detail and realistic design, the lighting is perfect, it is not completely dark but most sections are partially illuminated. The game is not very long, but it doesn't really have to be, nor should it be, this is not a game you blow through in an afternoon. It took me four sitting to play this game to completion, I usually got too nerve-wrecked to continue after an hour or so. As stated in the beginning the games atmosphere is great, lighting and shadows are well utilized, level design is well down to give a claustrophobic feel, and small little things like, making bloody footprints when you step in a blood puddle. One of my favorite things about this was the camcorder, you play as a journalist, so it it important to capture the certain things, and the game rewards you doing that by giving you, reports and notes about the subject. The camera also serves as your torch with it's night vision mode, which quickly drains batteries, forcing you to be vigilant in your search for replacements. Now, the game missteps in some areas, mainly the jump-scares, that was my biggest problem with the game. If you pay attention there will sometimes be a "lead up" to the scares, you may see someone watching you and then run away or the like, it builds anticipation and puts you on edge. But too many times does the game give you these cheap scares, in the beginning of the game, you open a door and a figure is on the other side of the door, accompanied by a loud noise, but when you look, it is a body hung up side down by chains. What made the sound? It feels kind of cheap at some points, unfortunately this happens quite a bit. But the other scares are more than enough to make up for it, some of them are clever in their buildup, and there is some psychological scares. I don't think a scare should have to announce itself with a loud noise and someone hiding behind a door, like the player is an idiot and wouldn't be scared otherwise. One of my best examples if a good scare is when your walking on cat walk and you look behind you and see a huge figure silently walking behind you, and then turn around to run to find another one coming from the other direction. This type of scare will scare you just as much as any jump scare, but it won't make you knee the bottom of your desk. So in conclusion, despite my gripes about the overuse of cheap jump scares, Outlast is a better than average horror game, it is solid, or better in almost all areas, and is a must buy for any horror fan and if you're not a fan of horror, you may want to try it, it might turn you into one. Expand
  52. Jan 23, 2014
    It's so scary it got the "Most Likely to Make You Faint" award at some conference. No kidding. Sure, it's not as good as Amnesia, but this gets a nine for its astounding performance on the PC. I heard this is also for the PS4.
    The graphics are real and dim, creating a creepy mood. The constant scares and enemies are scary and good-looking (sometimes, you don't even KNOW whether he would attack!), and with the game in a first-person view is excellent. With breathing, footsteps, and limbs.

However, there's so much gore, I could puke. Plus, the ending. WHAT COULD THEY POSSIBLY BE THINKING! It's really disappointing to find out at the very end of the game that the developers just said, "Hey, let's just kill Miles, since we don't know what other b****in' thing to do!"

Still, cheers for Red Barrels (as leonov said)!

Actual Score: 9.5
  53. Jan 15, 2014
    What a ride! Outlast, not for the faint of heart, a game that puts you at the edge of your seat the whole way through (and occassionally jumping off it). I think this game achieves what others cannot; together with the great visuals and music, create a believable, yet grossly disturbing atmosphere that envelops you, making you yourself the protagonist. The gameplay consists of finding yourWhat a ride! Outlast, not for the faint of heart, a game that puts you at the edge of your seat the whole way through (and occassionally jumping off it). I think this game achieves what others cannot; together with the great visuals and music, create a believable, yet grossly disturbing atmosphere that envelops you, making you yourself the protagonist. The gameplay consists of finding your way around and fleeing from enemies. Don't expect to do any fighting. If I recall correctly, I don't think you hurt a single soul in the game... but that's what makes this IP so unique. This may be one of the few games out there where it takes away the fight from the fight-or-flight concept, making you a victim from the beginning to the very end of the game.

The AI is not bad, considering they do put up quite the scare. Since there is only a handful of enemy types, their behaviour becomes predictable. Death scenes are mediocre and not the spectacular ones you find in Dead Space. They just don't hold up to the intensity built up from your attempted escape.
    Maps are pretty linear unfortunately. Scripted events lock doors and unlock others to limit where you can go. Perhaps this is a good thing, as a sandbox-freeroaming asylum is something you don't want to get lost in. (Certain objectives are already hard enough to find...)

Other than these minor shortcomings, the game does brilliantly in everything else. The graphics is good (but some frame rate drops), music sets the scene well, and the atmosphere is simply stunning! If you play this game, I recommend looking around for various rooms and passages, since they might contain batteries and notes. These notes are great as they help lay the background of the story, and the story is pretty good! The campaign is of a healthy length (took me around 6 hours?). From hindsight I think this could've been a bit longer, but towards the end of the story I was asking myself when this will all finally end!

If you are looking for a thrill ride, look no further. This game is worth every penny.
  54. Jan 28, 2014
    This is one of the best survival-horror games I've ever played. Red Barrels definitely did all they could do, with good graphics, effects, scary soundtrack and gameplay.
    Good Job Red Barrels!
  55. Feb 19, 2014
    OUTLAST IS OUTSTANDING , astonishing bealtiful graphics, terrifying scenarios, i just screamed 1-3 times every 15 minutes of gameplay. A true horror game, with an interesting Story, much more than i was specting . TIP: Dont buy this game if you don´t like horror genre , or if you get scared too easy , because you will quit the game every 5 minutes , im not joking.
  56. Mar 4, 2014
    The graphics contents are not advisable for children; I'm 47 and I'm really shocked about being murdered in such cruel ways. I did not score 10 cuz the gore and violence are extreme; the night vision is a fabulous and works perfectly in the horror atmosphere. The asylum and its inhabitants makes your heart pounding and your skin crrrreep. You might think this funny but you will scream whenThe graphics contents are not advisable for children; I'm 47 and I'm really shocked about being murdered in such cruel ways. I did not score 10 cuz the gore and violence are extreme; the night vision is a fabulous and works perfectly in the horror atmosphere. The asylum and its inhabitants makes your heart pounding and your skin crrrreep. You might think this funny but you will scream when that maniac to jump in front of you...you'll see. Expand
  57. Apr 12, 2014
    Outlast has atmosphere of great horror and good storyline. The weak side of this game is unfortunately gameplay. It's very repeated - we still hiding in the cupboard and running, sometimes looking for the switchers, fuses and other stuff. Ending of the is also a bit disappointing, but the game is still worth playing, especially if you are horror fan.
  58. Apr 14, 2014
    Great game for horror junkies like me; it's basically an interactive movie. Even though the story is a bit cliche, it's exactly what I expected, which was a fun, tense, and well made indie horror title.
  59. Jun 30, 2014
    Catch the sound of some big scary guy in the next room and hastily find a hiding spot, then watch helplessly when he walks through the door and starts checking under the beds, praying he overlooks the one you crawled under. Even after the coast is clear the thought of crawling out and trying to slip past is nerve-wracking. Super creepy and super tense. Playing in the dark with headphonesCatch the sound of some big scary guy in the next room and hastily find a hiding spot, then watch helplessly when he walks through the door and starts checking under the beds, praying he overlooks the one you crawled under. Even after the coast is clear the thought of crawling out and trying to slip past is nerve-wracking. Super creepy and super tense. Playing in the dark with headphones and I swear my heart was going to stop a few times.

Good graphics and creepy sound effects create a really unsettling environment with night vision thrown in to make it worse. A classic horror movie soundtrack when you're being chased makes you hope you don't fall into that "trip on your shoelace at the worst possible moment" trope. Story line is a little cliche but not too bad.

I was never really into the survival horror genre. I got a free copy of Daylight, which turned out to be... just awful... but it made me go looking for something better and I definitely found it.
  60. May 8, 2014
    this game is terrifying. it does so many things right in terms of giving you the best horror experience you can get, but fails in adding any variety to the games settings, and the story is interesting, but clichéd and starts to feel more and more unnecessary as the game progresses. but with all that being said it is one of a kind, you could compare the game's style and gameplay to Amnesiathis game is terrifying. it does so many things right in terms of giving you the best horror experience you can get, but fails in adding any variety to the games settings, and the story is interesting, but clichéd and starts to feel more and more unnecessary as the game progresses. but with all that being said it is one of a kind, you could compare the game's style and gameplay to Amnesia the Dark Descent, I like to think of Outlast as a modern day Amnesia with its own distinguished atmosphere. The thing I like the most about this game though is the camera, which is also similar to Amnesia's lantern in its use. you use the video camera to see in the dark using its nigh vision light thing just like you would see in a found footage film, and that's what makes this game so cool, because it makes you feel like you are in one of those movies. its a great touch that really makes outlast stand out as a creative and very scary horror game Expand
  61. May 6, 2014
    great game 11/10 would get my extremities cut off for another experience.
    Whistleblower dlc is also very very good 11/10 would scare.

only problem is it should be longer 10/10 much good.
    Much amaze.
  62. May 23, 2014
    Overall a fantastic game. Great sound, graphics and atmosphere. I was creeped out from the start until the end. No game has had me this tense and actually made me jump before. My only grief (thus the 9) was that the "enemies" got a bit old and lost some tension because they were used so much. Other than that it was excellent.
  63. May 31, 2014
    The game together with the dlc makes a wonderful and incredibly spooky gaming experience. The plot is well made, the scary atmosphere is fantastic and the graphics is outstanding! At first I wasn't that happy with the ending, but the dlc took care of that problem!:)
  64. Jul 15, 2014
    Absolutely best horror game I have ever played (and I have played plenty of them). You will be terrified not because of jump-scares (even that there are), not because of gore and hideous "creatures" (even that there are), but because of the greatly designed environment of mental asylum supported by atmospheric ambient. The story is amazing and with the style of actual game-play providesAbsolutely best horror game I have ever played (and I have played plenty of them). You will be terrified not because of jump-scares (even that there are), not because of gore and hideous "creatures" (even that there are), but because of the greatly designed environment of mental asylum supported by atmospheric ambient. The story is amazing and with the style of actual game-play provides truly scary and adrenaline ride. Go for it, if you like to be scared when using bathroom at midnight. Expand
  65. Jun 13, 2014
    This game was a really good horror title which reminded me of Nightmare House 2, graphics are beautifully insane and the story line is really good and the DLC explains a lot of the mysteries from the main game, overall an amazing experience!
  66. Jun 10, 2014
    I am torn, I want to rate this game highly but then I want to give it a low score just to seek revenge in some way as I haven't cacked my pants playing a game for years. Scary, great graphics, makes you reluctant to run anywhere apart from if you're being chased of course. It didn't help when I felt quite tense and my cat clawed my leg. Great game.
  67. Jun 23, 2014
    The game is dripping with atmosphere and is very immerse. I found my self on several occasions having to remind myself that it is just a game. The controls are easy and intuitive. The story is a bit cheesy but very fun. And the game has the wherewithal to end before it gets over done.
    All in all, a great game. If you have been waiting for a great horror game, this is it. Now that it is on Sale (YaY Steam Summer Sale) it is very much worth your time.
    Trust me; The first time you are chased by a monster, the sound of snarling and chains whipping behind you, with your heart racing and your muscles tensed, you will agree. (You can press "Q" or "E" to look behind you. But I couldn't bring myself to press it. I just wanted to get away.)
  68. Aug 14, 2014
    I'm not a fan of the genre, but I know a good horror game when I see one. While most horror games rely on jump scares and nothing else, Outlast has that, and more. The visuals are good, and creeping through a pitch black room with your night vision camera dying out, and hearing a sudden noise, is as terrifying as it gets. However, like most horror games, Outlast doesn't have a lot ofI'm not a fan of the genre, but I know a good horror game when I see one. While most horror games rely on jump scares and nothing else, Outlast has that, and more. The visuals are good, and creeping through a pitch black room with your night vision camera dying out, and hearing a sudden noise, is as terrifying as it gets. However, like most horror games, Outlast doesn't have a lot of gameplay, which can make the game EXCRUCIATINGLY boring at some points. But, all things considered, this is a really good game, and one horror fans should check out. Expand
  69. Aug 26, 2014
    Outlast is one of the most thrilling games of this decade, maybe even the century. When I first got the game I started playing right away, with a full bladder (In future notice please use the restroom before playing game.) Originally it was praise to just be another indie game, with a few jump starters. The producers should have been telling everyone that they would have a heart pounding,Outlast is one of the most thrilling games of this decade, maybe even the century. When I first got the game I started playing right away, with a full bladder (In future notice please use the restroom before playing game.) Originally it was praise to just be another indie game, with a few jump starters. The producers should have been telling everyone that they would have a heart pounding, suspenseful, thrilling adventure.
    The eerie atmosphere creates a panic in the player, were this helps set the mood. With this and the dilemma that you character has to overcome, makes this gut wrenching for anybody brave enough or foolish enough to play. Given this has the classic jumps scare, it also has better tactics in scaring the player then most games; such as using slow movements, which many of the antagonists use. This may not seem scary, but when you have nothing to do but slowly watch your doom walk towards you it becomes twice as suspenseful. My personal favorite would have to be the profiles of the characters. As the player progresses through the game you slowly build profiles on all the enemies, and so when you come face to face to them the player is rattled to the bone because they know what is about to happen to them, by the hands of these psychos/antagonists.
    The story line was well written. For most games that have no story and just have guns, this game is a shining gem. Most horror/thriller games have some storyline, but rely on jump scares to keep you interested. This games story was so carefully thought through to keep you on your toes, and always asking for more (even though this game may give you heart attacks). It was designed to have the player have the most fun, and have the most thrills possible. It was noticed that at gaming conventions when people went into the booth to watch the trailer, they were known to blackout because it was so scary.
    Over all this game is worth for what it is, and maybe even more. This game is truly a gem for this generation of games.
  70. Sep 14, 2014
    Best game of 2013 I feel! The story feels great and had a lot of fun playing and watching! Pros and cons are, the game is very fun and the story feels so good its like watching a movie...
  71. Dec 21, 2014
    Scary,Disgusting and Thrilling game! this game is great from it's graphics to it's scary characters and story!
    It is really fun paying it but the only thing is that it's disgusting at first until you'll enjoy and scare the heck out of you! Outlast is great game to buy and play and you'll see how scary and disgusting this game really is.
  72. Sep 10, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I have to say that Outlast was quite a well made game for an indie team. The graphics/visuals are very nicely done. The story itself was rather short and felt somewhat empty sadly, and the ending was rather disappointing. It felt rushed.

However my experience playing the game was for the most part, fun.
    The game itself wasn't scary though. It was more thrills and suspense and the odd jump scare.

The atmosphere in the game was pretty good. Some of the things you see patients doing was rather surprising but at the same time, it's something you would expect to see. All in all, I think the developers got the mental patient behaviors to definitely give off the feeling that you were in a mental institution. It could have been taken further in my opinion. But still I would say it was well done.

I loved the camera and it's night vision. It really went well with the game and definitely was something I was happy to have.

Enemies were not really scary. Pretty much all characters in the game that you encounter look extremely similar to each other, which left me a bit disappointed to be honest. They looked weird, but not in a scary way.

Also while I enjoyed not being able to attack and having to run and hide instead, it felt extremely simple and in no way scary. It was more of a suspense feeling. Getting away from enemies was very easy, and with the AI intelligence, it felt somewhat unrealistic. They were not much of a threat. More of an annoyance and rather predictable very early in the game.

The AI itself for enemies was very basic when they would look around for you. It felt very simple. However I will say watching them look under beds and in lockers was quite a chilling to experience. Heck, I even once had one of the enemies open the right one which took me by complete surprise! So that over there gets a star for thrills. Though the AI itself to me was still silly. See spoiler below as to why.

SPOILER
    In once instance where Tager is looking for you, I was hiding under a bed, he looked under a bed right ahead of me. Yet he couldn't see me. But it was light enough that he should have. So it felt a bit odd. But I didn't mind so much since he was not a very nice enemy to be around. Long story short he will NEVER be my buddy..
    SPOILER

Another thing that I felt was a bit odd was the portable lights on the floor. Surely the player should be able to move them or turn them off to hide from enemies.. So that was rather odd to me.

The institution was quite nicely done. But in some areas it felt a bit repetitive. The gore was pretty gory I suppose. Definitely felt like something horrid had happened.

The sound effects were decent. Hearing the character's breathing when scared was quite a nice effect and such.

Overall, I don't really write reviews but here's my sum up.

Story: 5/10
    Gameplay: 6/10
    Scare: 4/10
    Sound: 7/10
    Graphics: 7.5/10

I would definitely recommend playing the game. It is worth the $20 USD price. And all in all, I hope the developers will continue to create games like this, but improve from feedback. The game had far more potential. But I reckon they can bring something even greater than Outlast. They've definitely shown some great skills in their work. All in all, I support them and I'm glad I purchased the game.

If you're looking for some thrills and suspense, I highly recommend this game. It may be short and not the most in depth and interesting story. But it's definitely a game you should play at least once.
  73. Sep 5, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Outlast was by no means a poor game, and had all the ingredients for an amazing horror game. However, these ingredients weren't used to the fullest.
    The beginning of the game was amazing. The atmosphere sucked you right in, and the scares were placed just right to both scare you and teach you the game. As it got towards the middle and end, things began to lack off. Repetitive scare tactics lost their edge, and the designers even began to announce the entrance of major enemies to let you be aware that they were there, and that you should be cautious. Over exposure to the enemies was also a minor problem. I became used to seeing freaks everywhere and didn't pay much mind if one hit me. Also, the survival horror aspect is too forgiving (I think this of Amnesia too) a huge, beast of a man is introduced to you by ripping off an inmates head and when you encounter him, he just throws you or slaps you; almost every enemy in the game has to hit you twice.
    The platforming was great because it felt like you were just an average man, not some star athlete. You felt the breathing and effort in the long jumps.
    Lastly the ending areas were lackluster at best, a cliche ending to the game and a huge let down for the mystery and buildup it had going for it. I'll leave the ending at that.
    Overall, it was still worth my money and easily worth playing, just don't expect the 'scariest game ever' as it was hyped for.

TL;DR
    Enemies lost their scariness and threat
    Reused scare tactics
    Atmosphere was stunning, but fell off near the end
    Had some amazing scares, but too many failed attempts
    7/10 would buy and play.
  74. Oct 14, 2014
    If you're a fan of the horror survival genre like Amnesia and Penumbra, then I highly recommend this game to you. The graphics and controls are great and the environment is terrifying. Basically you're in an insane asylum that the patients are loose and you're trying to investigate and try to escape.
  75. Sep 9, 2013
    Outlast is a well designed game with a few key misses...

I felt the game and story arc both developed in the same pattern; strong introduction, sagging middle, and a strong end. Unfortunately, most of the game is considered to be the "middle", so for about 5 hours I felt as if I were simply jumping through hoops to finish. This game suffers from the same thing as the original
    Outlast is a well designed game with a few key misses...

This game suffers from the same thing as the original "Assassin's Creed"; repetition. You are constantly trying to find switches, levers, or keys while being hunted by a particular enemy (a lot of times, one that has chased you before...). I have to admit, the game was able to maintain it's level of scariness for the first encounter... maybe a bit during the second, but after that, the player starts to realize the patterns, understands the AI, and loses all immersion, at least I did. At this point, I found myself giving up on creeping past enemies and slowly walking around corners because I knew I would survive at least one or two hits from the enemy, and all I would have to do to escape is either climb into an air duct or close myself in a room and hide. Nine times out of ten, the enemy would break the door down, walk into my 10x10 room with one bed (which I would be hiding under), and give up his pursuit. Really?! You're not going to check the one and only possible hiding spot??? Oh well...

I don't play many survival horror games. Actually, to be 100% honest, this is my first one! I figured I would give the genre the benefit of the doubt and gave the game a 6/10. Perhaps it is a masterpiece in its own right? To me though, a non-memorable and simple foray through the dark.

To sum up:
    Pros:
    1) Beautifully designed
    2) Strong introduction and ending

Cons:
    1) Majority of game is repetitious
    2) A.I is predictable and easily fooled (crouching is OP)
    3) Extremely forgiving gameplay that removes all drama and tension from encounters.
  76. May 9, 2014
    An achievement in horror. Tops a lot of what passes off as horror these days (with the exception of the original Dead Space). Incredible setting and characters. You become immersed in the world. I can't wait to play games like this on the oculus rift..imagine that. Red Barrels knows horror. You think Saw, Amnesia, Bioshock Infinite were scary? Play this with the lights off and theAn achievement in horror. Tops a lot of what passes off as horror these days (with the exception of the original Dead Space). Incredible setting and characters. You become immersed in the world. I can't wait to play games like this on the oculus rift..imagine that. Red Barrels knows horror. You think Saw, Amnesia, Bioshock Infinite were scary? Play this with the lights off and the headphones turned up. Highly Recommended. Can't wait to see what else they cook up. Would be cool if we could get a physical edition of this and the dlc someday. Expand
  77. Sep 15, 2013
    Was not expecting such a polished and scary experience! The environments definitely set the mood and and all the effects are on point! Had to turn it off after an hour because I was getting really anxious.
  78. Feb 14, 2014
    Totally awesome atmosphere. I am a bit of a fan of the found footage horror genre, and this game is as close as it gets to being the camera person. I haven't had a video game make my heart race in a long time, and this game will scare the crap out of you, lights on, middle of the day, other people in the house. only play at night, lights out and home alone if you enjoy using your underwearTotally awesome atmosphere. I am a bit of a fan of the found footage horror genre, and this game is as close as it gets to being the camera person. I haven't had a video game make my heart race in a long time, and this game will scare the crap out of you, lights on, middle of the day, other people in the house. only play at night, lights out and home alone if you enjoy using your underwear as a diaper. Expand
  79. Feb 25, 2014
    Really horrifying. I like to play horror games but not this one. This one tortures my soul. Nonetheless I really enjoyed it. The atmosphere is so scary. The creatures too. And if you think they are not very scary, I would agree with you. But I think the developers don't want this game to become deadly, they just wanted it to be deadly scary. And hell yes. I screamed about 20 times duringReally horrifying. I like to play horror games but not this one. This one tortures my soul. Nonetheless I really enjoyed it. The atmosphere is so scary. The creatures too. And if you think they are not very scary, I would agree with you. But I think the developers don't want this game to become deadly, they just wanted it to be deadly scary. And hell yes. I screamed about 20 times during play, six were very loud. I think the neighbours heard me. I was scared to death. I've completed the bloody game. But no thanks. I don't want to do this again. Expand
  80. Jun 4, 2014
    What can i say about this OVERRATED piece of trash, another overrated attempt of an "horror" game, if this is what we have now as "horror" we are really fuc*** up, so please stay away from this trash. I can't give it more than 4 points, because i am a very good person i don't give this a 3, but believe me, this is far to be a good game. How can you be completely disarmed in an "horror"What can i say about this OVERRATED piece of trash, another overrated attempt of an "horror" game, if this is what we have now as "horror" we are really fuc*** up, so please stay away from this trash. I can't give it more than 4 points, because i am a very good person i don't give this a 3, but believe me, this is far to be a good game. How can you be completely disarmed in an "horror" game, i know that the lack of weapons maybe increase the horror, but this is too far, imagine if in resident evil or silent hill (true horror games) you don't have any weapons, imagine how bad those game become if you don't have weapons. The weapons give you hope, but this game eliminates all your hope, you need to be running like a girl from every enemy, hidding like a **** and running away, like the mediocre title "silent hill shattered memories" but Outlast is even worst. The gameplay is very repetitive and the graphics are average, no good music to add to this **** experience, really don't waste money in this piece of garbage, another overhyped attempt of game, hope soon every good gamer forget about this horrible title. Expand
  81. Jun 17, 2014
    A game which can be used to define 'Survival Horror'. It did only take 7.5 hours to complete but the ride was like an intense G-force maximising, full loop-da-loop rollercoaster. A perfect nightmare, challenging your anal muscles to keep in the mess. Best £5.89 I have spent in a long while!
  82. Sep 5, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. So I finished the game and taking with the two feelings, the story was downright bad and towards the end you will be a little shocked. The atmosphere you breathe icy breath until the end of the back and this is definitely a great title that his promise. It really is a game of survival horror and full of unpleasant moments.

What struck me at the game but was greatly disappointed by game time. I finished the game for four hours, I enjoyed so only two nights and I feel very disappointed. The game had great potential and I feel very deprived. It is above average and great horror game that the knee precipitated a very short game time and sometimes poor AI.
  83. Sep 4, 2013
    Incredibly creepy, a masterpiece of atmospheric engineering. The setting and basic mechanics may be cliche, but the end product will keep your heart racing. Play this in the dark with headphones and you won't be disappointed, especially considering the $20 price.
  84. Nov 4, 2013
    Such a good game, and it really is terrifying. It's sort of like Amnesia, but with better graphics, and a bit more gruesome when it comes to the gore. I tried playing it lights off with headphones, and let me just say I jumped more times than I care to admit. It really has an interesting story that weaves a really terrifying narrative together. I found myself glued to my screen, which ISuch a good game, and it really is terrifying. It's sort of like Amnesia, but with better graphics, and a bit more gruesome when it comes to the gore. I tried playing it lights off with headphones, and let me just say I jumped more times than I care to admit. It really has an interesting story that weaves a really terrifying narrative together. I found myself glued to my screen, which I felt torn about because on the flip-side of being a great story, it was also terrifying and I did have to take breaks because it was so tense.

TLDR: Great story, truly terrifying, and has a fit and finish that is really great. The graphics are top notch, and it's truly a must have if you're a fan of horror games like Dead Space 1 and the Amnesia series.
  85. Sep 11, 2013
    I think this game is slightly overrated. Here's why: 1) There is a fundamental problem with the mechanics of the game that lead it to be overly boring and repetitive. The problem stems from the fact that you cannot attack enemies and thus don't need to regulate health, stamina, ammo, etc. All you can do is hide. It's ridiculous that I can't fight back when some scrawny guy missing hisI think this game is slightly overrated. Here's why: 1) There is a fundamental problem with the mechanics of the game that lead it to be overly boring and repetitive. The problem stems from the fact that you cannot attack enemies and thus don't need to regulate health, stamina, ammo, etc. All you can do is hide. It's ridiculous that I can't fight back when some scrawny guy missing his skin is beating me to death. 2) because of (1) above, you tend to get your ass kicked over and over until you've memorized a map and this is both frustrating and not scary when you get killed for the 20th time by the same wimp 3) the puzzles tend to emphasize knowing the map (collect X of some item) which relates back to (1) and (2) and finally 4) the story isn't really all that interesting or subtle. It's your typical sort of Resident Evil Operation Racoon stuff that's been done to death. Otherwise the game is OK. The graphics, sound effects, and general ambiance of the level design and atmosphere are top notch and this is why I give it 7/10. Expand
  86. Sep 4, 2013
    Absolutely my favorite horror game to date. I felt the immersion within the first 10 minutes of game play. The best time to play is after nightfall. Lights off and undisturbed. Turn up the AC for a chilly room. Then blast the surround sound. You will not be disappointed.
  87. Sep 6, 2013
    Before I say anything, keep in mind, this is a low price game with many full price features. So, with that in mind, I feel I can be a bit generous with my verdict of Outlast.

What I consider to be of a full price nature are the graphics (only FSAA currently missing from the limited options, surely the PS4 will be getting some AA, right?), which are very good, not amazing, but great use of lighting and perfectly smooth. The sound is also very good, excellent subtleties that don't infringe on the intended mood of the game, although the soundtrack can become slightly cliche at times. Controls are tight, movement effects (crouch, run, look behind, etc) all done ell and, more importantly, not overdone. Again, considering the price, Outlast can and does look and sound better than many full price titles.

The budget elements only really come down to lacklustre character models some could have looked a lot better and the fact that Red Barrels add a nice touch with showing a close-up of the hand when leaning against walls, etc, but decided to leave it looking rather substandard. Small niggles that wouldn't have taken much time to resolve but would have meant that all of Outlast looked nice, not just most of it.

Scary? I'm not so sure, not in a Amnesia way, more like a F.E.A.R. way really; which ultimately makes it more of a shocker than an outright horror. Amnesia is the master of pretence, whereas Outlast just throws it at you. It has it's moments but it's not as clever as Amnesia.

Film grain? Not my thing, but it's there.

Overall, good, but considering the price tag, I'm going to say very good.
  88. Sep 4, 2013
    Amazing! This is an instant favorite. Beautiful introduction, simple and classic controls, and an absolutely frightening experience. To those looking for a thrilling and memorable game, I recommend Outlast without reservation.

Pros: Elegant game-play with surprisingly high production value. The trailer gives an excellent feel for this game. The experience has been a delight, and I'm sure other horror genre fans will agree.

Cons: Can't close doors quietly (unless I'm missing something). I don't like being forced to slam doors shut as I sneak around... but this is only a minor complaint.
  89. Sep 7, 2013
    The visuals of this game are good and the camera gimmick works well enough. The gameplay is very simple. You do a lot of running around, climb, collect journal entries and batteries for your camera. The problem of Outlast is that it isn't scary enough and that it relies heavily on jump-scares. The Asylum as a place is quite boring and the plot of the game is your basic horror schlock. NotThe visuals of this game are good and the camera gimmick works well enough. The gameplay is very simple. You do a lot of running around, climb, collect journal entries and batteries for your camera. The problem of Outlast is that it isn't scary enough and that it relies heavily on jump-scares. The Asylum as a place is quite boring and the plot of the game is your basic horror schlock. Not a single original idea in this department. Overall,a very mixed experience. Expand
  90. Sep 4, 2013
    I can see this getting canned for only one reason: national pride.

I can see this getting canned for only one reason: national pride.

Those who've played it will know what I'm talking about. The US did recruit a number of there former enemys specialists and they did perform questionable research...specifically biological and psychological warfare (in fact the game has in the various journals almost word for word excerpts from said research, with names dates and locations changed) and I can't fault people for being in denial over those events (for those curious I do recommend a google search or two on the subject...very chilling stuff and a real lesson in monitoring ones government, to serve and protect...sometimes the latter drives those in power to extremes to one up would be opponents.)

I say this because there's already one review here based solely on this. Now onto the game: It's near flawless in execution the atmosphere is...amazing without a flaw...and the scares are therefore very well designed in that any scare in this little world is a brilliant scare, however there are sections where you are being chased and there is no alternative but to keep running and hope you can crawl or slip through an area your pursuer can't follow these are the weakest feeling parts of the game...they happen a bit to regularly and can't help but feel heavily scripted even if brilliantly so (an enemy has a set pattern of behaviors and they design a small section built around this, with very planned exits)

I've also heard tell it's rather short, which doesn't surprise me as mentioned every inch was designed with care (sometimes to it's detriment again as mentioned) but for the price it's still easily worth it.

I very much look forward to see'ing more from these dev's.
  91. Sep 8, 2013
    Have to give Outlast a score of 5. I was expecting so much more from this, and it began so, so promising.
    The absolute worst thing about this game is the length. It's so incredibly short..
    It's short, and there's no custom story map editor feature, yet they ask for more money than Amnesia. The graphics are amazing, the enemies NPCs are incredibly detailed and look fantastic. I wish
    The graphics are amazing, the enemies NPCs are incredibly detailed and look fantastic. I wish there was more to find than journals and batteries. I wish you had to maintain your health as well. MINOR SPOILER: Enemies in this game do not disappear, like they do in Amnesia. This is a great plus for Outlast, but since you have no health bar and you regain health automatically, there isn't much risk trying to sneak by an enemy.

I'm gonna hope for some REALLY lengthy DLC to save this game. While I do not like it, I would spend a few more euro to get more of this.
  92. Sep 5, 2013
    There's not much to say. Fluent gameplay, interesting story, good atmosphere. The only downside for me was the fact, that it's not that scary. But still, it's enjoyable.
  93. Sep 7, 2013
    Just bought it and played atleast half an hour into it.. I think i can definitely say, the game is about as good as a penumbra or dead space, if better. its got the horror si-fi taste in it witch makes it beautiful. I very highly recommend children under 18 to not play this, it will scare the heck out of young ones. Lots of blood and gore and very heavily horror scenes.. Great game though,Just bought it and played atleast half an hour into it.. I think i can definitely say, the game is about as good as a penumbra or dead space, if better. its got the horror si-fi taste in it witch makes it beautiful. I very highly recommend children under 18 to not play this, it will scare the heck out of young ones. Lots of blood and gore and very heavily horror scenes.. Great game though, great game. Expand
  94. Sep 5, 2013
    WoW i pass this game tonight its take 2:50 Min for me, what can i say pure horror and psychological game i dont care if they take some Condemned and f.e.a.r together in shaker and wo'la Whole new game reborn this is what horror games should be.
  95. Sep 7, 2013
    Really good game, it's worth the $20. If you like horror games you need to pick it up.

The pros: It's fun to play, has great environments/atmosphere, and has high quality production. I was also happy that there wasn't an overuse of jump-scares. I loved using the camera to explore, I thought that this was a great (but over used) mechanic. The cons are: A loss of immersion after the

The cons are: A loss of immersion after the first 1/2 an hour of play. I played in the dark with headphones and set my gamma low enough to ensure stuff would be getting the jump on me. But even with this the unoriginal story, the amount of time spend so close to the enemies (they lose their scariness), and overuse of the night-vision on the video camera killed the immersion for me. I feel that if the player only got glimpses of the enemies and used the night-vision 20% of the time (rather than 90%) would have made this a perfect game.

Regardless of the fact that I just used more characters to type about the game's flaws it is easily one of the best horror games I've played and I whole heartily recommend it.
  96. Sep 6, 2013
    Outlast surly is one of the best Horror Games ever released.

Thanks to developers like Red Barrels we can enjoy a game so well done like Outlast! it was from Start to the end a tense roller coaster cant wait for more
  97. Oct 10, 2013
    grew up in the 80s and was raised up on horror movies. loved the first silent hill and any other game that scare the beegies outta me. this game has scared the beegies outta me. fantastic graphics, wonderful wonderful controls, great atmosphere and fantastic writing and voicing. this game has wowed me and impressed me in not only the fear i have playing it but the quality of the game as well.
  98. Oct 19, 2013
    I'm giving this game a 10 on the scare factor alone. The sound and graphics are on par with many triple AAA games. I have been playing the first hour of this game alone in a pitch black room with headphones and a Xbox controller. It's probably the most scared I have ever felt.

I can't play this game in a dark room by myself for more then 10 minutes at a time. Even though I feel scared and afraid there is a immense feeling of adrenaline and excitement that I get from playing the game. There are so many other games that try to get that feeling and fail. The way the levels are designed make the player afraid that every corner you turn and every door you open holds a surprise or something even more disturbing. The story feels like it could be based in real life and the documents you find add even more depth and detail to the background of the asylum. I have played games like F.E.A.R, Resident Evil, Dead Space 1 and 2 and I watch Walking Dead and this game blows all of those out of the water.
  99. Sep 7, 2013
    Positives -

Positives -

Seen a guy streaming this on Twitch and knew after 5 minutes that I had to have it! From the get go its a enjoyable game, plenty of gore it also has that stealth feel to it you can run after being seen but if your smart you can stealth your way past aggressive enemies, which I enjoy in my games Eg. Deux Ex, Hitman. I suppose its best compared to Amnesia as that's the closest game I've played that matches this.

Made me jump a fun times, game is creepy and eerie through most of the journey, I wouldn't call it scary in particular, just creepy a bit gross at times and got a good few jumps in, I don't scare easily or jump for that matter and at times the game caught me completely off guard. I found the dialogue from the pair of characters you'll meet early on in the game quite disturbing and fantastic! There appearance also creeps you out haha.

Game is difficult to an degree, doesn't have assisted waypoints like a lot of games these days so you have to actually look around for yourself and figure things out. Your also unarmed and cant fight back so its about your wit cunning, running and hiding! Incase anyone wonders, you can hide in lockers and usually the A.I will seemingly pick the one your not in, they can pick the one you are in, it happened to me a few times, so I guess its random luck if they find you.

Game length & immersion, game length is good for a cheap game and longer than every AAA on the market these days, I don't know exactly how many hours I put in but I think it was in the 4-6 hours region maybe longer, I was looking everywhere and very rarely going directly to the next part of the story unless forced there by a huge guy chasing me haha, immersion wise the game does a very good job at keeping you immersed in the game, the only thing that shattered this for me was the sudden change to a sci-fi action game at the end.

Graphics are crisp and nice, the character models are well done, I didn't encounter any bugs during my play through (big plus).

Voice acting and sound effects are pretty good, the antagonist is a silent one, he writes some thoughts down on a notepad at times but doesn't have a voice, the intense breathing when he's terrified is fantastic and quivery sound coming out to show he's scared, very good mood setter. There's a little 'easter egg' I suppose that is taken from The Blair Witch Project which I did find quite enjoyable.

Plenty of documents and recordings to do to get new 'notes' from your character to read to explain how he's feeling, a.k.a easter eggs.

All in all it wasn't a bad overall gaming experience.

Negatives -

Storyline is very generic, revolves around the typical stuff you expect, some Nazi experiment from 194X has been adopted in modern times with a twist and its all gone to sh**. I'd have liked to have seen a more creative story rather than the same old stuff, the setting (an asylum) is also very generic but I felt it was a pretty good setting for what the game has.

Some of the chase scenes become predictable, music begins when the big guy who hunts you is near by even before you see him, they really should have had no music at all till he actually spots you, that way you'd get more of a surprise from bumping into him and a better atmosphere creation from the music while your running, the music doesn't start on 2 occasions, every other time it did.

Mechanics, its an Indie developed game so I don't expect stellar mechanics especially for £15 the A.I follows a rule set of following a certain path dependent on the location (room your hiding in) once you see it a few times you'll probably realize how to avoid those enemies. It didn't take away from the gaming experience for me but I can see why some people not like the predictability.

Game drops off near the end, it goes from being a horror style game then at the end it becomes more like an sci-fi action game for the last 20 minutes, it doesn't take away from the whole game experience but I felt it was a poor way to end it on.

Linear as hell, you can only take one path to the next place all other rooms and ways are just there for looks, some may contain easter eggs or battery's but the actual path you take to the end is predetermined and you cant take an alternate path.

The ending is dreadful, it really undersells the game, you'll have to play it to understand, I had a really good time with the game till the last 20 minutes and the ending it gives is a horrible way to finish it.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Overall I did enjoy the game a lot it gave me some jumps made me feel creeped out and immersed me for hours, I advise playing this game in the dead of the night in the dark. Its an indie game and a very good one at that it has its problems but its cheap price tag and good quality's outweigh those. I give it a 8/10 and look forward to a Sequel or another title of similar genre by Red Barrel!
  100. Sep 28, 2013
    I am going to say two things, as in terms of did I play it a long time and beat it? No- I couldn't play more then 30 minutes, however this is because I am a wienie and it Scared the hell out of me, so since their goal was to scare people they did great scared the crap out of me to the point I could no longer play lol great job guys!
  101. Oct 16, 2013
    Survival horror is by far my favorite genre of all time. To put it simply, it's the amount of emotion, mystery, psychological terror, fear, and dread that games like Silent Hill and Amnesia are able to yield to such an incredible amount in order to provide a serious psychological challenge. That being said, after playing Outlast, I can not wait to see how the survival horror genre willSurvival horror is by far my favorite genre of all time. To put it simply, it's the amount of emotion, mystery, psychological terror, fear, and dread that games like Silent Hill and Amnesia are able to yield to such an incredible amount in order to provide a serious psychological challenge. That being said, after playing Outlast, I can not wait to see how the survival horror genre will evolve. I really hope that future survival horror game developers take tips from Outlast because I sincerely believe that this game is the current head hauncho of horror! Outlast constantly kept me on the edge of my seat had my senses on fire from beginning to end. Outlast is a fantastic survival horror game. I can't wait to see what will happen next.. Collapse

1. Feb 21, 2014
    A game that is not as innovative as you would hope. It is very old school. Nevertheless, this is a real horror-game and we can guarantee that you will freak out. It may be old school, but it is still a very good game that will blow you away.
  2. Dec 5, 2013
    This is probably the most horrifying experience in videogames, ever!
  3. Oct 31, 2013
    On one side, you have linear gameplay, at times simplistic game design and plenty of clichés. On the other – an exciting opportunity to star in a very cool horror ‘movie’.