8.4

1. Sep 8, 2013
    A proper Survival Horror. Music, Sounds, Graphics, Atmosphere, all in one to make you pass a really bad time. You will feel pursued all the way, even if there is nothing behind you.
    Do you like R.E.C and Paranormal Activity films? This is your game then.

Total 8/10
  2. Sep 11, 2013
    This game is awsome about ghrapics,horror story and more.This game is more better then I think.This is the best horror game in the world and the universe.
  3. Sep 20, 2013
    Truly one of the best psychological horror games ever made.

Storyline: Scary as it may be, I was quite confused with the story. The story produced so many possibilities that I did not know what I'm up against until the last quarter of the game. But all-in-all, the story was still good. All it needs is a little effort to understand.

Quality/Appearance: Perfectly detailed to give a
    realistic and a horrifying atmosphere. There are two specific things that I would like to praise from Outlast. First, if something gets cut-offed, it remains cut-offed for the rest of the game. Second, unlike most FPS games, you can actually see your lower body if you look down! The great thing about Outlast is that it pays attention to the small details. Don't understand what I'm saying? Good because I don't like spoiling. Although I might have, just a little bit.

Music/Sounds: Orchestrated to effectively induce shivers and suspense. Like most horror games, if the music suddenly rises in tune or changes its mood, you would know that it's your cue to run. And you will definitely run.

Gameplay: Outstanding. Outlast is genuinely realistic to the point that the gameplay reminds you that the character you're playing is just a simple human being who happens to be caught in a horrible situation and just wants to escape. How? You're weak and you don't have the ability to fight mutilated mad men so you just hide and run. That's the most normal reaction you can get from a frightened person.

Horror score: A truck-full of WTFs, OMGs, and an encyclopedia of curses.. And 9 pairs of pants that has sh*t.

Conclusion: Kudos to the developers. Outlast is definitely one of the best games of 2013 and you'll definitely miss out if you don't play it.
  4. Sep 17, 2013
    This game is polished and well crafted, the controls are intuitive, the gameplay is fluid, the gameplay is also horrifying. I can't even get into finishing this game, heads up, it's scary. If you're into scary things and being brave, this is your cup of tea. It's like a bravery training sim for real life. The game also switches up on you unlike amnesia later into the game, so it dosn't become terribly tedious, all the hiding and avoiding bad guys dosn't grow so stale so quickly, if you like horror games where you can't defend yourself, this is your time to buy. As far as survival-horror games go this is at least a 8 or 9 out of ten. Expand
  5. Le-
    Sep 21, 2013
    Not scary. Could have been if the self-proclaimed "seasoned developers" of the game actually tried to make a decent horror game.

I love horror games. I play them every day. When I saw the trailer for Outlast and read the back story, I was intrigued and eager. Eager to buy. Eager to be scared.

Installed and started playing right when it became available on Steam. I immediately noticed
    the smoothness in controls and zooming in and out with the camera added a touch of realism, immediately drawing me in even closer. This was short lived. As soon as started exploring the Asylum things got repetitive quickly. It's not that I do not like body parts and blood t all over the place or asylums, there was just something about Outlast's environments that were painfully familiar. And that's when it really it me. Throughout my entire play through, there was something that was just bothering me, gnawing at me at the back of my mind every time I thought about how much I had spent on it. Many moments in outlast felt like they were just copy and pasted from other mainstream horror media. Expand
  6. Nov 5, 2013
    Those who've played it will know what I'm talking about. The US did recruit a number of there former enemys specialists and they did perform questionable research...specifically biological and psychological warfare
  7. Sep 24, 2013
    Great horror game! Haven't found a game that actually made me scream or jump since Slender. I waited a long time for it and wasn't disappointed. Never know what to expect next. Unpredictable moments. Unique ability to look behind you while running. Makes you wonder when you'll ever need/want to do this. The graphics are beautiful and creepy at the same time. The frame-rate stays at a perfect 60, and that's with 2x SGSSAA enabled on a single GTX 660 Ti! Excellent optimization! The only gripe I have is that I can't record the game properly with any capture software. I'm having to use an iPod Touch to make my Let's Plays... blugh! A mini-gripe I had was that there's no option to disable motion blur, but that didn't stop me from digging around in config files to fix it. Outlast is truly an epic horror experience. Depending on your room lighting, headphones quality, chair comfort, etc. will depend on the scare intensity, I've had the lights on and screamed plenty of times! I love it! Expand
  8. Oct 10, 2013
    This game is AMAZING. I love horror genre but this game IS SO MUCH MORE!
    It's almost perfect for what it does. To be honest, I didn't pay much attention to the story, because it's basicly was story driven for the first 15 minutes or so. And then your main objective is just to GET THE HELL OUT. And that's what you were doing all that time. So, yeah, the story is kinda basic and
    predictible, but everything else is top notch.
    This is the best horror game I've played since Amnesia and Outlast surpasses it by a long shot. It's better in every way.
    This game really got me scared, to the point when I needed to take a break for like every other 30 minutes from it, because the tension was ubereable.
    Graphics are oustanding. One of the best looking game for the past year, effects are awesome, and it's the best in it's genre for sure.
    I've tried Machine for Pigs and it just didn't cut it for me after Outlast. Amnesia was scary, right, but after this game it's like walking in the park. I wasn't scared in Machine for Pigs, it was like a kid's game. Outlast is ruined horror for me :D And I'm glad it did.
    If you like horror games, try this out. For it's price it's excellent. This game is a strong 9 out of 10, I don't believe any horror games from the past couple of years come even close to the Outlast. I hope we will see more from this developer. Games like this come once in a decade. It's almost perfect in every way.
  9. Dec 1, 2013
    Outlast takes a very popular approach for its Horror part A DARK PLACE ARMLESS SEE BUNCH OF CREEPOS TO COME on you .

Recently i just played Slender The Arrival didn't tried machine of pigs) and i was pretty disappointing with the gameplay it offered Now i was having Outlast with meh expectation but i was happy to see that most of the things in the game was at right places It was
    not a perfect game and had some flaws but overall Worth to play Expand
  10. Nov 12, 2013
    Game gives chills. Story is great,graphics are great, THE SOUND IS BEST.The sound in this game is sooo good, that i can't find any words to describe it. High quality horror game Giving it 10 with no doubt.
  11. Nov 10, 2013
    This game is absolutely amazing, even surpasses Amnesia the dark descent in graphics, textures, and the scare factor. Great story, always keeps you guessing. Just when you think you've finished, and you're home free, you aren't. The game keeps you constantly on your toes, and it does not rely on jump scares, as does some other scary PC games. Truly a great game, and a must have. Camera used in the game is almost essential, and without it you are almost blind (Depending on whether you increase the brightness) Very scary and atmospheric. Great story, and very good plot. Expand
  12. Nov 13, 2013
    This is by far one of the most scariest games I've ever played. More than Amnesia the Dark Descent or the Slender.

To enjoy the max experience, use headset, crank it all the way up, turn off any lights, and play the game.

I actually had to turn this game offf several times because i couldn't handle the pressure. The build-up for all the jump scares are really nice.
  13. Nov 23, 2013
    I love scary movies and games that can make you jump. This game is the closest thing to a scary as you will get for a long time. Lots of spots make you jump and keep you at the edge of your seat. Great work on this game, good visuals with creepy music and noises make this a must have for people looking for a game like this. But with that said there is many scenes in the game that could bother some, def. not for young kids to play lots of adult content. Great game all around! Expand
  14. Jan 6, 2014
    Outlast is the second best survival horror title I've played to date (second to Amnesia: TDD). There are a few problems, but first let me go over what this game does right.

PROS
    Outlast has some gorgeous environments. Major props to whoever worked on the modeling, texturing, level design, and lighting. It looks great, and runs smoothish even on low-end machines. The sound design is
    also fantastic, as well as the game play. The tension and exploration is some of the best in gaming. I really liked the camera gimmick, although I don't think it would work too well to keep it going through sequels (if they happen). The pacing is fairly good, except for the first 45 minutes or so. The game had a slow start, but picks up fairly quickly once you hit the sewers. The story is interesting, although nothing special.

CONS
    Not very many cons here. The UI design is bland and uninteresting aside from the camera effects. The asylum environment is a bit played out at this point, and I would have liked a little more variety of environments. The fear elements were too often to be effective every time, and the jump scares could be seen coming a mile away. Also, a little variety in the types of encounters would have been nice. Every single encounter could be handled the exact same way.

*SLIGHT SPOILER* I was digging the supernatural story until I realized that it wasn't. But what was there was done a bit confusingly. I wasn't sure what had even happened, much less why or how.

Overall, worth the $20, but I would suggest getting it on sale. Very good game.
  15. Jan 6, 2014
    Outlast is a very dark and atmospheric horror game, that takes you to a remote mountain mental asylum to uncover it's secrets. The setting for the game, Mount Massive mental asylum, is a good location for horror movies or games, but admittedly is over-used. The game is mostly linear, with the exception of a few segments where you have a maze like area and you have to complete some objective, often while being hunted by a deranged ex-patient. The asylum is well done in general, there is good attention to detail and realistic design, the lighting is perfect, it is not completely dark but most sections are partially illuminated. The game is not very long, but it doesn't really have to be, nor should it be, this is not a game you blow through in an afternoon. It took me four sitting to play this game to completion, I usually got too nerve-wrecked to continue after an hour or so. As stated in the beginning the games atmosphere is great, lighting and shadows are well utilized, level design is well down to give a claustrophobic feel, and small little things like, making bloody footprints when you step in a blood puddle. One of my favorite things about this was the camcorder, you play as a journalist, so it it important to capture the certain things, and the game rewards you doing that by giving you, reports and notes about the subject. The camera also serves as your torch with it's night vision mode, which quickly drains batteries, forcing you to be vigilant in your search for replacements. Now, the game missteps in some areas, mainly the jump-scares, that was my biggest problem with the game. If you pay attention there will sometimes be a "lead up" to the scares, you may see someone watching you and then run away or the like, it builds anticipation and puts you on edge. But too many times does the game give you these cheap scares, in the beginning of the game, you open a door and a figure is on the other side of the door, accompanied by a loud noise, but when you look, it is a body hung up side down by chains. What made the sound? It feels kind of cheap at some points, unfortunately this happens quite a bit. But the other scares are more than enough to make up for it, some of them are clever in their buildup, and there is some psychological scares. I don't think a scare should have to announce itself with a loud noise and someone hiding behind a door, like the player is an idiot and wouldn't be scared otherwise. One of my best examples if a good scare is when your walking on cat walk and you look behind you and see a huge figure silently walking behind you, and then turn around to run to find another one coming from the other direction. This type of scare will scare you just as much as any jump scare, but it won't make you knee the bottom of your desk. So in conclusion, despite my gripes about the overuse of cheap jump scares, Outlast is a better than average horror game, it is solid, or better in almost all areas, and is a must buy for any horror fan and if you're not a fan of horror, you may want to try it, it might turn you into one. Expand
  16. Jun 4, 2014
    What can i say about this OVERRATED piece of trash, another overrated attempt of an "horror" game, if this is what we have now as "horror" we are really fuc*** up, so please stay away from this trash. I can't give it more than 4 points, because i am a very good person i don't give this a 3, but believe me, this is far to be a good game. How can you be completely disarmed in an "horror" game, i know that the lack of weapons maybe increase the horror, but this is too far, imagine if in resident evil or silent hill (true horror games) you don't have any weapons, imagine how bad those game become if you don't have weapons. The weapons give you hope, but this game eliminates all your hope, you need to be running like a girl from every enemy, hidding like a **** and running away, like the mediocre title "silent hill shattered memories" but Outlast is even worst. The gameplay is very repetitive and the graphics are average, no good music to add to this **** experience, really don't waste money in this piece of garbage, another overhyped attempt of game, hope soon every good gamer forget about this horrible title. Expand
  17. Mar 10, 2014
    If this would be a horror, it should be different. I can say that the beggining was the best, then everything exagerated. Why you have to walk so much and suddenly you hit a ' crazed ' employee. This is not what I expected, truly, my opinion. I was waiting for a action-horror.
  18. Apr 30, 2014
    Boring. not scary.
    But good graphic quality and bring the game to a new Neveau in chanre.
    Sensed his main purpose, "scaring" but not.
    Playful as well as by the atmosphere and the Geschihte the game is very boring and monotonous. The motivation to continue playing complete missing.
  19. May 27, 2014
    The developers of Outlast were smart in that they basically borrowed elements from different horror media to create an epic horror game that you won't soon forget.

A lot of Amnesia is borrowed in that you can't fight or do anything remotely offensive- it's just you and your ability to stay hidden. Fortunately, the *things* you're hiding from can't see in the dark. And, boy is there
    plenty of dark for you to hide in. As a matter of fact, without the night vision, this game would be altogether unplayable.

The atmosphere is one that is horrifying even when not much is going on and that's mainly due to the incredible sounds that keep the game going. There's a constant and relentless eery feeling that there's something right around the corner.

Now as for the story, I personally felt it could have been fleshed out a bit more, and I felt the ending to be a bit disappointing. But I don't want to spoil anything about the game, so I'll leave you to come to any conclusions yourself about that.

I'd recommend this game to ANYONE who's PC can handle it and would advise that you use headphones or your surround sound system (if playing on a TV) The game truly relies on the aforementioned atmospheric sounds to create a unique and unforgettable experience.
  20. Jun 3, 2014
    Not so many games have this unique feel of atmosphere to them these days. Though the writing and characters are not that unique and experimental as the other aspects of the game suggest, this survival horror game has a well-designed flow and balanced gameplay, which is coherent with its story.

In my opinion the weakest part of the game is its writing, content and character designs,
    specifically its main antagonist whose appearance and nature makes an absolute flaw in the player's immersion in this hyper-realistic looking world. Expand
  21. Oct 24, 2013
    Pros: - Horrific atmosphere, intense music. - Gory - Great level design, realistic graphics - Epic ending - Takes about three days to finish Good because the game is repetitive as is. - A few surprises but not enough - Camera's nightmode adds extra horror - One of the scariest games out there Cons: - Same enemy repeated tens of times - Not so scary ghosts - Repeating patterns: Find a key, jump in a vent, walk a ledge, run from a monster
    - Somewhat cliché story
    - A lot of lost potential
  22. Feb 15, 2014
    Scarier than the scariest movie, which means it holds the tittle of the scariest game but by the time you near end it just drags on far too long.

Could have been a 9/10 if they just ended it sooner. Turned from running for you life to fumbling in the dark. 1 hr less and this game would have been master piece.
  23. Oct 29, 2013
    Haven't played a horror game in a long time. Graphics 8/10, Sound 7/10, Atmosphere 8/10, Gameplay 8/10, Story 5/10.
    Of course there were moments like: "Why the hell can't i go out of here through that window or jump across the fence."
  24. Dec 9, 2013
    This is one of my favorite horror games so far. Philosophically, they did a great job of making the user feel like they were never completely helpless, a pit that Amnesia seemed to fall into very often. Visually, the best. The appearance and atmosphere were perfect given the story and setting. There were occasions when the enemies were shown in the light for too long but this is only a minor issue. The ending... it worked for me but there were certainly parts of the story lost within the series of notes. I'll be looking forward to the next release by red barrels. Expand
  25. Feb 24, 2014
    Scariest game I've played so far easily. Does a good job of balancing jump scares along with just overall creepiness and atmosphere. Was slightly disappointed in the story by the end of it but that's just me. Overall very good game.
  26. Oct 5, 2013
    I'm starting to get the feeling that this is the new trend in horror games. Take every weapon away from the player and let them attempt to guide their character through dark linear buildings with just the faintest suggestion that violence may ensue. Games like Amnesia have not necessarily set the new "mold" for this genre, rather games like, Condemned: Criminal Origins, have shown us that we can still be terrified by conflict centered around some unsettling environments and settings. Sure, Castle Brennenburg was a grisly and unnerving place, but the scares are predictable, the enemies can be entirely avoided as well. In 2013's "Outlast," we are aided by a video camera that runs on two auspicious batteries that pop up all over the place to allow the player to utilize a night vision screen filter. The problem here is, it isn't unsettling or terrifying not being able to see in the dark. Its tedious. Yes it was tedious in Amnesia and its tedious here as well. In Condemned you couldn't avoid combat, often times you were shoved into it to get further through each area, which was a good way of connecting with a player: "You could constantly be in danger." In Amnesia its, "Hide here till the spooky spooks walk away and then proceed down the dark corridor." Which makes Outlast look even worse as it clearly complies with this logic. There are many reasons why Outlast "phones home" when it comes to its intentions, but its still a very well crafted game. It may even turn the genre around, but lets hope they don't all start building games around player-characters that are unable to combat anything around them. Waiting for some twisted in-mate to wander off from me in Outlast was about as boring as Amnesia's predictable grab-item triggered spooks and I hope someone sees that this is not necessarily the way to go in the first person horror domain. Condemned remains as the one the finest moments in that genre and remains to this day as having the most visceral combat system ever- coupled with real scares that were deeply unsettling. Expand
  27. Feb 23, 2014
    If you want something like Amnesia: The Dark Descent, then this is the game to play. It's not as atmospheric as Amnesia, nor is the storyline as intriguing, but you will still love Outlast start to finish.

The scares are all done the right way. You will find yourself jumping out of your seat many times. You will find yourself in constant paranoia and getting bursts of fear-induced
    adrenaline for the large chunk of the game. The gameplay isn't mind-blowing, but still holds up extremely well.

The only negative point I'll give this game is that some of the level design is very poor, and you could find yourself running around in circles or possibly getting killed because it can be cramped, confusing and repetitive, though that doesn't ruin the game in any sense. Overall, if horror games are your thing, this'll probably be in your top 10.
  28. Feb 5, 2014
    The game is the most scariest games I have ever played!! The atmosphere is amazing, graphics are very good. If you like scary games, you must play this!
  29. Sep 10, 2013
    surprisingly fun.
    felt like a stealth game, with a horror theme and secondary detective theme.
    if it were a bit longer i'd have probably rated it higher. it was also pretty easy.
    the only time's i died were because i missed something stupid a few times in a row, then kind of a derp moment.
  30. Sep 10, 2013
    Howdy folks! You like blood? Violence? Freaks of Nature? Well then come on down to Mount Massive Asylum in Colorado! Seriously, two words, two beautiful but overused words that at one time got a lot of true blue horror junkies excited, but now have more so just become a matter of "time will tell," and these two intriguing words are "survival" and "horror" placed back to back. All things move towards their end I suppose, just like how monsters and horrible mere shadows of former selves come along and ruin it for everyone, and then boom, the modern generation becomes a mockery of what once was. However, survival horror is still alive thankfully, though it limps, and boasts its scars, and at times even the mighty fall here and there, its black heart still beats, and with games like Outlast, the beat is pretty damn satisfying to march to. Hopefully it marches in the very direction this genre needs to go, and beyond. Outlast can proudly join the grown ups table among this generations finest horror games, and even earns the right to wear the true label of "Survival Horror." Quite honestly, it doesn't even really have to be considered of "this generation," as it really does stand among the all time greats. Now don't get me wrong, this is not a masterpiece or a genre bender, as most of its cues come from previous titles, but it does what it does so well, and has done its horror homework so well, and knows its audience well enough and sticks to its guns well enough, to deliver a satisfying, scary, exciting, and just wicked good time all the way 'round. Outlast tells the tale of one very unfortunate soul (you) who by night, breaks into an asylum after having received an email telling you that there is one hell of story and cover up going on inside. Well seeing as you are a journalist and in need of a shocking, jump starting story, why not investigate? Oh, if you only you knew how sticky the web you crawled into really was, and if only you knew just how venomous that big black spider on the other side really is...but, that's the beauty of it, that is the sadistic and menacing side to it that will make you either smile or quite minutes in. Outlast is one of those games that truly lets you know what kind of horror fan you are. Will you spend the game screaming, sweating, ducking the computer, pausing frequently to breath? Or will you find yourself smiling, enjoying the weather, and wanting to catch every gruesome detail on camera? Oh yes, enter the camera. No, not like Fatal Frame, oh no, no, this is one incredible gimmick that works wonders and gives the entire game its identity. After countless horror films have now been made starring digital video cameras, it finally hits the gaming world. Honestly, if you are like me, the thought makes you groan, and feel almost exhausted at the cheap gimmicky idea, enough already. If you are like me, you were wrong. Red Barrels has put the camera to excellent use here. Think of it as your lantern from Amnesia, the game that Outlast borrows the most from, and it is just as, if not more important than that lantern. The camera is not just so you can witness what it is bumping in the night, but with it, you will document, zoom in on threats and solutions, forward much of the story, and most importantly, use its night vision to see in the dark, which can either be as simple as stumbling through the corridors, or playing hide and seek with three bloodthirsty escaped inmates in a twelve by fifteen room in complete darkness. It is as fun and as nerve racking as it sounds. Outlast is a gruesome, and to some, shocking game. It does not care how much gore is on display, they want Mount Massive asylum as sick, dark, wet, bloody, and even perverted as possible. The great thing is, the developers achieve this without ever once turning the game into shock horror shlock. It seems odd to say, but the game remains almost tasteful, even during a rather unexpected close up of male on male necrophilia. The game stumbles slightly with screen tears here and there, and a few of its greatest ideas get stuck on repeat, but honestly, that wasn't what I was thinking as I ran for my life, grinding my teeth, hammering my fingers on the mouse, every time one of the unharmable enemies was breathing down my neck, while I fumbled trying to get that damn camera out and into night vision mode, and oh the horror when you run into a door that doesn't open, or your crawling under a pile of debris just it see everything stop as whoever is chasing you has you by the foot, and begins to drag you back out, all the while screaming and laughing out of his mind. This is a survival horror game, and a good one. The story is intriguing, the music and atmosphere are fantastic, the lighting works wonders, and the tension is high. Not without faults, and sometimes easy to call when your safe and can breath, but when everything comes together just right, you are afraid, plain and simple. That's showing em, Outlast. Expand
  31. Sep 6, 2013
    Did you lost faith in parkur adventure, horror and stealth genres? Did you lost hope to see realistic, immersive and HARDCORE AAA game without press x to win kill streaks and cluttering UI? Outlast will restore your faith in everything mentioned and game industry! It also will prove you that indie team of 10 men can do AAA-Indie titles without greedy publishers that killing their creative freedom and forcing them to make a Call of Duty and Gears of War accessible for wider re-tar-ded audience.

No no no, this game is not accessible to wide audience, it will scare out of most players not only because its good horror, but also because it realistic and hardcore stealth just like Thief was and its damn hard for brain-dead Call of Duty Xbox 360 generation, thats why its damn pleasant for old school gamers such as me who loved realism and challenge in older games before its almost gone from modern games.

If you love hard challenge, innovative, realistic and purely immersive games such as Alone in Dark 2008, and if you hate YOBA call of duty style FPS games, you will love this one! If you love true survival horrors where survival is very hard because you cant even fight back, and if you love Amnesia you will love this game as well, and if you love old Splinter Cell up to Chaos Theory and loved Thief and remember that scarry part in catacomb, you will love this game too!

I love this game, its not perfect however, but its almost what i dreamed about for many years. Oh yeah, did i tell you that its one of rare games with full body awareness and every action in game totally animated?

What you waiting for BUY THIS GAME ALREADY! I cost twice cheaper than most of recent Mediocre AAA games like Tomb Raider 2013, Bioshock Infinite, Resident Evil 6, Splinter Cell Blacklist, Call of Duty BO2, Metro Las Light, Far Cry, Assassin's Creed 3 and so on, but it brings more fun and joy than all of them together. Before this game 2013 year was a year of dissapointment (if you count only AAA type of games), but Outlast game changed it for me! 10 men can do job better than over 100 men in big companies, and glory of this game puts all big companies to shame!

And a bonus: no pre-cut DLC, no season passes, no achievements and stupid unlocks that turns game intro retarded grind, and most important this game is MOD-FRIENDLY and allows to tweak AI and Difficulty a lot, nothing locked, and critical patches was released just next day after bugs was reported! Truly old-school PC-specific way of doing business with respect to customers!

P.S. devs of this game worked before in Ubisoft, EA, Eidos, THQ and WB (all Montreal studios) on such titles as Prince of Persia, Splinter Cell, Thief, Dead Space, Assassin's Creed, Army of Two and Uncharted, so you can see where roots of this game goes from, als Red Barrles seems to be tired of all that games that gone into wrong direction recently due of lack of creative freedom in big studios, so the decided to say "Go to hell, we will make our own game with blackjack and hookers" and unleashed their creativity in their own little indie studio, that kicked balls of major studios and other indies by showing how indie game made by few guys can be all AAA and better than major AAA tiles made by big teams.

After Outlast it would be shame for indie and major studios to not do games as good as Red Barrels did!
    Fully animated body awareness and pure realism and true immersion without UI, XP grind and stupid kills-streaks and with AI that can hear and see almost anything should be a new trend since now! Its damn 2013 not 2003 after all!
  32. Nov 2, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This was a great horror game. The visuals were impressive and the music fit perfectly to create its eerie style. Unfortunately I was thrown out of the games atmosphere a little too often while playing, even though I always played in a dark room with headphones. Not really anything big, but little things like unmotivated act transitions. An example of this would be when you accomplish a goal in a room and turn around, all the doors in that room would be magically shut and locked and a previously closed vent would be open. Not all the transitions in the game are so lazily realized, but when they happened it threw me out of the atmosphere. Another common problem I found was I felt like my character almost wanted to stay trapped even though he was trying to escape. In particular I remember at one point I had to shimmy across open windows outside only a few stories high. I'm pretty sure any sane person would jump out of an open window in such an environment. The game play itself does start to get repetitive toward the end, but the game is relatively short so it doesn't ever get boring. Still, this game does a great job overall and will surely be a hit for many players who love horror games, including this reviewer. Expand
  33. Dec 29, 2013
    I've played just about all survival-horror games, and I was really looking forward to this one being kind of like Fatal Frame. I quickly learned it wasn't like that at all.

It sets the atmosphere very well, but if you're observant you will know what's coming. Example: Zero places to hide for many rooms, the instant you get to the room with a switch, there's a locker you can hide in.
    Flip switch, hide in locker, wait for monster to patrol. Apparently I missed out on a great deal of the jump scares by doing this, but when it's set up so obvious, I couldn't avoid doing it. Another example of this is how there will be a couple of obstacles you have to jump over while going down a long hallway. 90% of the time, you're about to get chased and have to jump over those boxes again.

Then I learned you can just agro the mobs and kite them around until you find where you need to go, then circle around and close a few doors and you're home free.

I experienced some bugs as well, most were minor, but one major in the theater room. The scripted even when you get the key wouldn't trigger and I was left having to quit and load up the save (meaning I had to do the entire theater over again.) Had to do this twice before it finally triggered and I was allowed to continue.

It was also pretty easy to get immersed (suggest wearing headphones and turning off the lights.) Even when I'd get really into it, the game would break this immersion with the ridiculously short battery life, where I'd have to stop and change the battery. It left me feeling annoyed at times, and seemed fairly trivial considering I never had less than 5 batteries in my inventory at a time, even when I was burning through them in the dark areas.

The ending seems to be mixed with most players, it left me wanting more to be honest.

I didn't use any walkthroughs (I did google the theater bit when it bugged out though.) I played on normal difficulty, 3 hours 25 minute play time.

Overall, I'm glad I purchased (on sale) and played it. Was a decent game, wouldn't say it's amazing or great but a worthwhile experience nonetheless.
  34. Sep 11, 2013
    This was probably the most fun I've had playing a horror game in a good while, which surprised me because I really wasn't expecting much out of this one. Jump scares are definitely not the only things that will give you the chills, this game has strong atmosphere, and lurking around to avoid being seen by enemies can be some of the creepiest parts of the game, and can be terrifying when you're being chased. The game also has enough meat to it to put all of it's mechanics to good use without ever feeling underplayed or gimmicky. I also feel that the game does a good job of making you care about the main character's well being, he goes through so much crap in this game that it makes it all the more motivating to keep going and see what happens next. I wont say more, overall I highly recommend this to horror fans, it's pretty awesome. Expand
  35. May 19, 2014
    A solid effort! If you like survival horror movies with all those cheap scares then you will really like this. Its not massively clever, but in terms of suspense this has it in spades. I would like to see the developers branch out a bit more into an interactive and psychological horror movie with a bit more immersion than just reading documents and taking videos. But over all this is a good game that does a very good job at what it was made for. Expand
  36. Sep 15, 2013
    The horror video game genre is a classic category that is at its peak by delivering a range of games that can throw in some gore or jump scares.
    Unfortunately, Outlast was no unique exception:
    While the game offers the similar suspense of walking through a ruined city at twilight with the distant snarl of a canine, it was short to offer depth and originality.
    Yes, I am happy to admit I
    didn’t go five minutes without being scared or freaked out whilst playing, but I was hoping it would deliver that emotion in a different way to the typical expectation thus this made the jump scares predictable and less intimidating. The story was something different, albeit unfinished and hinting towards a sequel but the atmosphere of an asylum has grown far above cliché for the horror genre not to mention yet another device the protagonist can use to see in the dark.
    If you like a game that scares you, this is a perfect choice, but if you want the next generation of horror video games, you’ll have to wait.
  37. Oct 13, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. My biggest problem with Outlast is that it doesn't do what it was made to do. At least not very well. I played through the game in one sitting, had the lights off, headphones on etc. and after the first hour of gameplay the scares felt boring. There were many times where the game showed potential by building up suspense, but those moments were wasted with tiny jump-scares, leaving me unsatisfied.

*SPOILERS*
    There were some moments in this game that felt truly genuine. Moments like that would include going outside in the rain and the dark, and seeing the Walrider for the first time. In that moment I didn't exactly feel scared but I did feel uncomfortable, which is a feeling not many games can deliver. Another good example would be the scene where the player is captured by, and escapes, from Trager. Both of these scenes were good, but they were short lived and eventually became wasted potential.

The plot in Outlast was interesting at best. Reading through most of the notes is necessary to understand the story, which is expected. After reading all the notes I could find, I felt confused by the end. The ending of the game was the most disappointing part. Outlast was a game that could have been so much better, but fell short in almost every aspect of the game.
  38. Sep 8, 2013
    Hi. Outlast is a very good game. It starts very creepy, but, as the game advances, all this vanishes until is not a scary game anymore. At last it results so, so fun. Bye.
  39. Apr 7, 2014
    Here I am a grown man and this game scared the living bejesus out of me. Wowzers. If you like horror video games you're going to like it. I had to sometimes stop playing at night because I was so scared.
  40. Jan 3, 2014
    WOW! Just WOW! That game is the scariest I've ever played in almost 30 years of gaming history! Exceptionally well done, ambience is top notch, controls are responsive and tension is extreme! Very graphic though; it might not be for all tastes. If you enjoyed this great movie "Grave Encounters", this game is definitely for you.
  41. Nov 5, 2013
    I got really big horror exp., that didn't have before. Really good realization of story and gameplay. Outlast has bugs, that don't allow me to make my mark 10/10. So, 9/10.
  42. Jan 2, 2014
    Outlast is a polished experience. It's a great scare and it does what its job quite nice. It's just that it's job is not quite stretched for a full fledged game. It's a rollercoaster in a lunatic asylum. It has good visuals, great sound (and music) and some pretty basic stealth gameplay. That's it. The story is a mess (there isn't one), as it doesn't develop at all and beside the "hide in the corner, wait for him to turn his back, now go" there is no gameplay at all. It reminds a bit of Mirror's Edge without the cool moves or level design. It lasts about five hours and at about 2 hours in you will see the limitations of the enemies, so the fear effect won't affect you any more.

It's great for some good scares, it has some great baddies and it creates pure tension, but it's hollow. You'll do the "collect 3 stuff" or "flip 2 switches" 5 or 6 times and that's the game. I must say I was hyped for this game but utlimately I can't help but feel disappointed. I expected at least a better story development and some puzzles. There are none. Nevertheless, it's got a ton of jumpscares and it's great if you want to use it for that. I disliked the battery searching, it didn't feel "survival genre" at all. It felt survival when I was being chased.

At least the checkpoints are good and the polish level is unexpected for this type of (indie) game. The night vision effect looks suberb and everything looks and sounds as it should.

It is scary, it has atmosphere, but it doesn't qualify as a full game. It just feels hollow.
  43. Sep 10, 2013
    Amazing Game. beautiful Graphics, really nice sounds effects, great storyline. Outlast is one of the greatests Survivor Horror game in this generation, little problems with artificial intelligence of enemies. But definitely this game must be played
  44. Dec 25, 2013
    This is such a great game, but I have two problems. Firstly, I found the variety of missions very boring as I found myself finding for example: 3 fuses for a fuse box COUNTLESS times and it annoyed me. Secondly, I just found the platforming horrible. On a good note, this is a beautiful game and had me on the edge of my seat throughout. Definitely worth the price of admission.
  45. Jun 7, 2014
    This is one of the best horror games I have played. Mind you, it is more like a walk (or run) through a haunted house than a game. There are no puzzles elements other than hunting for camcorder batteries, crawlspaces to squeeze through, or various objects like key cards and fuses to get you on your way. There is no combat. All you can do is run and hide.
    I have been bored by other
    games in the genre with little to do but explore in the dark (Amnesia x2, Among the Sleep, Year Walk, Gone Home).
    Something is different about Outlast. The atmosphere. The sound design. The Lighting. It is just a great creepy experience. The characters themselves don't have the best graphics and animation, but look at the original Silent Hill. People eat that up and the graphics are horrible by today's standards. Outlast sets a mood and keeps it going.
    Sure you can play it on easy and take a lot of hits and just run through the whole thing. The check points are not far apart, so nobody is going to be frustrated by having to replay long passages. But if you are as careful and possible and play with an "I don't want to die" attitude, you will run for your life and your heart will pound as you hope you chose the right bed under which to hide.
    For a $20 indie game it is excellent. It is long enough to get to play through a few different environments with a few novel twist to the formula, but it isn't so long that it gets too repetitive and tedious.
    It is more like watching a movie than playing a video game. It reminds me of the final scene of The Shinning when Danny is running for his life from Jack, except you are Danny and you are running and hiding for your life. I don't think a game has ever gotten me so wound up that I can't play it anywhere near bedtime. It has been a long time since a game did that, as some of the Dead Space and Silent Hill games did.
  46. Dec 12, 2013
    While I didn't find it to be as scary/special as some claimed it to be, I found the game to be pretty good. The biggest let down is that it felt very predictable and it was a short game. As Red Barrels' first game however this is a good start, and I hope they can learn from this and create something that is several steps ahead of Outlast. If you haven't tried it, I say give the game a go. It's not that expensive. Expand
  47. May 10, 2014
    Outlast is one of the horror games that'll leave you on the edge of your seats as you frantically try to escape and hide from your pursuers.

Some commendable aspects of Outlast is its phenomenal sound engine and atmospherically well-detailed environment.

Unfortunately, the game has some "problems" in many areas and one of them is its duration. My experience on the 'Normal' difficulty
    lasted for about 6 hours, and that can be quite dettering for people who are interested to pick this up (Price as of right now is 19.99 w/o any discounts).

Another "problem" is its horrible, asinine and abrupt ending...

Definitely worth picking up during a sale any time, any day. Awesome horror game!
  48. May 13, 2014
    Absolutely the best horror game in a moment. The story is interesting and the jump-scares are not too scary. Survival feeling makes this game special and surprising. The best horror game in the moment but still 7/10. Only the story mode makes the game too small.
  49. Sep 13, 2013
    INTENSE. this is the best word to describe outlast. Yes it's pretty scary but not as much as its intense. The grim creepy asylum is unsettling and the sound design keeps your nerves on edge. When you are getting chased you want to run! Run like hell because this game will immerse you. Best played with headphones in the dark for the best experience. I haven't played a game this nerves racking since the school in fear 2! The graphics are good and the enemies look creepy enough. The game can be hard at times forcing you to make quick decisions such as the aforementioned running and hiding from lunatics. The ai is good for the most part able to chase you down if you're not quick enough and they can and will pull you out of your hiding spot. The game is pretty scary with some nice jump scares here and there but it could have been way scarier. As I said the sound design and environment is fantastic and really helps the scare factor. Overall I recommend this game if you are a fan of horror games or liked to be scared because this game is indeed scary at times and being chased in this horrorifying asylum will definitely get your blood pumping. 8.7/10 Expand
  50. Jun 16, 2014
    I often forgot this was a game. Outlast does such an amazing job of creating these unique identities for the handful of psychos stalking you in the asylum that it created this sense of realism I have not found in a game in a long time.
    I dodged this game for months thinking it would just be full of cheap jump scares, but it is not. It has a very detailed world to explore and a very solid
    story to unravel.
    It became apparent at some point that the developers were afraid the game was turning out to be too short and started stretching out the gameplay. This stretched gameplay is not bad quality, but serves to add a lot of question marks to your thought pattern when you reach them.
    My only real complaint would be the rare but over-used character models for the more common variants. Occasionally, I would come across a character that I would think was someone I had already encountered before, only to find out it was just another NPC using the same model, which would remind me that this is only a game quickly.
    Overall, this game scared its way into my favorite games list. Watching my little cousin jump so much during the first five minutes that I thought he was going to damage my system was worth the base price alone. I was sad to read that Whistleblower concludes the story.
  51. Oct 20, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'll admit, it might not be every gamer's cup of tea, but Outlast is a very fun and terrifying game, if that's your thing. Especially if you want a more retro, classic experience, with the updated looks of a current generation game. It gets a check in each box.

Concept: Taking a few cues from classic horror titles, as well as from movies such as Rec. and V.H.S, Outlast proves to be a terrifying and adrenaline inducing experience on the whole.

Graphics: The environments, while very similar in most parts, all look pretty good, and match with the mood. The characters, however, are pretty much all hairless, buffed up miscreants and murderers. But that's alright, because you're probably going to be too busy running anyway, rather than engrossed in the "beautiful" animations of an inmate ripping your guts out of your throat.

Sound: There isn't a score so much as there is a chaotic blend of high pitched whining, low moaning, distant- and close screams, terrible grating noises, thunderous crashes, and meaty chomping and slicing or flesh. It's horrifically engrossing, but if you're playing at night, I'd recommend going with the volume off. It's scary enough without it.

Playability: There aren't really any controls to complain about, seeing as how there are essentially only three anyway- pulling up and putting away your camcorder, running or walking (mostly running), and occasionally hopping low barriers with monsters in pursuit.

Entertainment: I hope you like atmospheric scarefests, because you've just paid for one if you purchased this game. Oh, your friend told you it was a platforming game for kids? How mistaken you were in trusting him...

Replay Value: Moderate.

Overall Score: 8.5
  52. Jan 6, 2014
    Outlast is arguably the best horror game ever! It will scare the crap out of you from beginning to end. The stealth gameplay gives the player a spine-chilling experience and the jump scares are well executed. Also, the atmosphere of Mount Massive Asylum makes you feel that the place is alive and terrifying. But unfortunately, the game's plot is a big letdown especially the ending. It's confusing and it left me unsatisfied. On the bright side, Red Barrels proved that the survival horror genre is still alive. Outlast is must play game for huge horror fans but not for the faint of heart. Expand
  53. Sep 11, 2013
    This was probably one of the best horror games I've played in a while. The game makes a very good first impression, creating a scary atmosphere when you first enter the asylum. You play as a news reporter, who got a fax telling you about illegal activities occurring in an Asylum in the mountains and that you need to expose it to public media. Being the brave journalist you are, you decide to investigate.

Gameplay is pretty good, there are some survival elements in the game. You basically have a camcorder with you which you use to record everything thats happening within the asylum. In dark areas you have to use the night vision in order to see, which drains your battery rapidly thus you have to often scavenge around for spare batteries in order to see in the dark.

What I really liked about this game is the 1st person experience it offers. It has 1st person full body awareness which is amazing! Whenever you open a door or pick up an object, an animation will occur! When you lean on a wall or peak, you will place your hand on the wall. The little things in this game!

This game had a few good jump scares, where it caused me to move my mouse around rapidly because of the scare. The game has a very scary atmosphere as well, you don't know whats going to happen in the next minute and there were a few times that i paused the game and quit because of how scared the game has made me.

The game does unfortunately get a little repetitive at the end. Instead of enjoying it you end up just wanting to finish the game and get it over with. What saved this game from being completely boring is the well told story. In the game you have to find certain documents that will explain to you what experiments occurred here and the subjects they had and what the results were. The ending was a bit bland, leaving a lot of loose ends for me, but it wasn't too bad.

Overall this game is excellent, it does what a horror game should do. Highly recommended
  54. Sep 15, 2013
    Finally a good horror game. This game comes with a lot of good executed scares. The graphics and atmosphere is amazing. I did find the game a little repetetive at times and the game was a little short, but other than that it's an awesome title.
  55. Nov 21, 2013
    Awesome, scary and refreshing game. Finally a great horror game worth playing again. Hopefully the developers continue the franchise to bring out even better/scarier sequels or prequels.

Red Barrel Games, you guys are awesome! Keep up the good work and continue making terrifying games. :-)

PS. The next installment could be a little more original/inspiring. That's the only critique I
    can find for Outlast. Expand
  56. Jan 3, 2014
    Outlast will be remembered as the scariest game of the generation, that redefines the horror genre that was desperately in need of a tune up. Never have I been so scared in a game before, horror fans are in for a treat. I love the gaming mechanics, graphics, music and jump scares that truly make your heart stop pumping. The most fun is found here when skyping and friend while playing and pissing yourself at there reactions. Definitely worth your time and money, what another excellent indie game of 2013. Expand
  57. Oct 24, 2013
    This is perhaps the most frightening and horror experience I lived in a game. The graphics are very realistic, almost photorealistic, full of gore and images which mark and which remain imprinted on the brain after a long period out of the game.
    The sound is great and contributes enormously to create frightening atmosphere.
    I can not describe in words how grotesque are some sets, and
    times when you're being chased by a guy definitely will raise the pulse of any normal person alarming.
    This game is a must for any horror enthusiast who thinks he has seen everything in this genre
  58. Oct 30, 2013
    Best horror game since Amnesia The Dark Descent. Towards the end, it looses its pace but its still a great game. Short, dark and frightening. This game will really test your nerves.
  59. Dec 13, 2013
    Simply the most frightening game I've ever played. It presents a shockingly well polished game for a budget title price, and has become my favorite surprise hit of 2013. Outlast masters both the art of pop out scares and a slow burn tense atmosphere, made much more compelling by music that reacts to the situation and dozens of small touches like seeing your hands as you clutch to the edge of a corridor to peek around the next hallway or the heavy ragged breathing of the player's character exerted from fleeing for his life but desperately trying to keep quiet in his hiding place to escape the horrors chasing him. Also effective in building the tension is that the player's only way to see in the dark is through the night vision of the camera... which gives the world a very limited distance green/black view and also will quickly drain the batteries. You force yourself to creep through darkness and use up every bit of electricity from each set of batteries even though your vision is failing just to save those precious batteries for when you can't make it without them. As the song by Radiohead goes "You do it to yourself, you do, and that's what really hurts (or in this case, scares!)"

It's not a long game, the designers seem to know better than to wear out their welcome and at 8 hours of play time I feel I've more than gotten my money's worth for a lifetime memorable experience. Thankfully I'm old and moved out because I'd owe my mother's "swear jar" a sock full of nickles for the outbursts I've had while fleeing in this game. Highly recommended for anyone who enjoys a good scary story.
  60. Sep 14, 2013
    A game with some promising aspects but ultimately a letdown. Visually it's quite nice, but the graphics don't make up for the setting and plot being a trite amalgamation of a bunch of other mediocre horror movies and games. The puzzles are all terrible and consist solely of avoiding a single enemy while searching for pipes or levers, and though it does have some genuinely scary moments, the game is too reliant on jump scares to be truly terrifying. Expand
  61. Sep 15, 2013
    After finishing Outlast i can safely say that Outlast is the scariest game i have ever played. Outlast nails everything in every way, the scares, the story, the atmosphere and the gameplay. The scares are even scarier with the perfectly done camera, you'll need this little friend for more than half of all the time in this game. The nightvision mode on the camera your flashlight is matching with the perfectly done atmosphere. Sometimes i didn't want to play further, just because i was so scared. You will have a lot of moment where you think your hunter is a mile away, but is actually right around the corner. I never had any trouble with batteries. When i was almost out of batteries i would find 2 or 3 of them a few seconds later. If i had to compare Outlast with A machine for pigs, i would say: "If you are interested in a beautiful story, with limited gameplay and medium scares, play A machine for pigs. If you want to play the scariest game i have every played, with a normal stoy and good gameplay, play Outlast." Expand
  62. Aug 6, 2014
    It is scary, it is enough hard, plot is "fine" not extremely good but fine, cool ending.
    The atmosphere is amazing and some of the foes really "unusual", graphics are cool.
    The idea that you should record main happenings with the camera (it's not compulsory but you must use the camera to see something in the dark) makes everything similar to be in a movie like rec or esp, it's simply a
    great Idea!.
    As other similar games, you cannot fight foes only try to run but especially you will find yourself hiding, but remember that if they see you hiding they will still get you (of course) .
    Second only to amnesia:the dark descent just for the lack of little puzzles (and because amnesia cannot be defeated ) :D .
    One of my best purchases. I probably will buy the dlc as soon as it is on sale!
    85/100 and a 9 on metacritic as a little gift for the unknown producer!
  63. Sep 7, 2013
    All I can really say is you defiantly get your bang for your buck. I would pay upwards of $60 for this and I may not have finished it yet, but just wow.
  64. May 31, 2014
    So i got Outlast now. The start is very nice, the enviroment is beautiful and i get a creepy feeling. But thats it, really. The game itself is kinda.. boring? I've been around in Horror games since Silent Hill 1 on PS and this game is very cheap. "Made by veterans" That's alot of BS, or just very sad that you guys havent developed in the last years.

Its not scary, the first 20mins had
    me afraid and very interested but after that, i just started to laugh when i got chased and thought to myself "This game is so bad".

The AI is just idiotic. I ran from a guy and tried the same locker three times, and he caught me twice but after the third time he didnt see me apperently. There's no horror in the game. It's just jumpscares all the time.

Imagine you going into a fight with a guy and he from nowhere - punches you in the nutsack. It aint fair and it just feels lazy. I dont wanna be scared by a 15000db scream. I wanna have a scary and disgusting feeling that i wont survive at all - such as in Condemned for example.

This is more like: "find this" AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

"find 3 levers" AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADIHAuDHSIhdAuD

It gets alot unserious from a time, the enemies arent scary at all.
    And the whole scary asylum, blood on the wall "Run away, they will catch you" crazy doctor that is following you and all, really? This is 20th century.

I didnt complete the game, i played for around 2 hours, and i just couldnt take it serious. It feels so stupid. Like it was meant for idiotic morons like pewdiedee or 14years kid that cant handle real horror.
  65. Sep 6, 2013
    I feel like the people who are rating this game an 8+ must have only played for about 90 mins. The game does scary very well but it wears off so quickly that you really start to nitpick the rest of the game once its gone.

The textures on pretty much all the people you meet in the game are exactly the same. The facial scaring etc.. are so reminiscent of Fallout's ghouls that it made me
    chuckle more than disturb or upset me in anyway.

The story isnt really there. just sort of a walk along and read the odd note and chat it up with the poorly voice acted priest a few times.

The run and hide mechanic gets really old once you realize you can sprint through every level picking up what you need with no real risk of ever dying or getting caught. You can literally run in circles around the games powerful nemesis "Walker" who chases you throughout your whole play-though. Seriously this guy loses all scariness once you make him do a few 360's.

Admittedly Im not quite finished so maybe something else will happen to perk me up a bit, but overall I feel this game fell short in its mission of being the scariest game ever made. They really needed to add in a few more mechanics besides sprint and hide. Once you're no longer afraid of being caught or killed the only thing there to make it scary is the soundtrack which actually gets pretty damn obnoxious after an hour or so and most people I imagine will end up turning the volume down.

Here's hoping machine for pigs delivers better.
  66. Sep 7, 2013
    Desde que Amnesia pego el bombazo con su sistema de juego y ambientación. Aunque hubo títulos similares en el pasado, parece que ha vuelto la moda de juegos de horror donde el protagonista solo puede esconderse, huir y poner todo lo que pueda enmedio de sus perseguidores. Este juego sigue esa senda, y todo hay que decirlo. Lo hace bien.

Sus monstruos son perturbadores, sus escenas
    macabras (Gráficos muy buenos), la inteligencia artificial está bastante pulida, el control es suave y no da muchos problemas excepto quizás en las escenas Quicktime. Los monstruos te persiguen sin trabarse, si saben que estás escondido en una de las taquillas te sacan arrastras de alli. etc. Una buena historia, quizás algo vista pero que se suple con los personajes secundarios tan "amigables" que te encuentras.

Lo malo es que peca de una duración corta (es fácil, 5 horas y media), te dan demasiados golpes de limite (no necesitas buscar botiquines ni nada de eso, sino que recuperas la vida sino te golpean de seguido) y el entramado no te permite mucha exploración, demasiadas puertas cerradas y pocos cambios de escenario. Su precio es 18 euros, que yo los pague con gusto, creo que es rejugable aunque solo sea por revivir algunas de las escenas verdaderamente siniestras.
  67. Sep 7, 2013
    It's an awesome game, if you haven't played it yet, do it 4-5 hours of fun, Good jumpscares, nice graphics and awesome gameplay! Play it f*** the haters just play it!
  68. Sep 7, 2013
    Outlast is by far the best horror game I've ever played. The graphics are phenomenal, the gameplay is simple and fun, and the entire atmosphere of the game creeps you out. In about 4 hours I've had way more scares then I ever did with Amnesia; where I saw the monster and was just like "Oh. There's the monster. Bummer. Better go hide in a closet." On Outlast even when you hide the monsters will actually come and look for you (opening lockers, checking under beds, etc.) Overall it's just a really fun, really great game to play. Definitely recommend. Expand
  69. Sep 7, 2013
    A game I've been looking forward to for a while after coming across some impressive youtube videos of it that made crave being locked in a darkened room with just candle light flickering and my head phones on for an immersive horror fix. The controls are simple to learn to navigate around the asylum with a camcorder which you can alternate between standard mode and night vision for spookily hard to see areas (don't forget to set your gamma settings to low in game). Graphically the game is good and runs smoothly, NPCs are well modelled and look creepy but nothing to make you stop and say "oh wow look at that" so do not expect any eye candy, the camera modes are realistic and the grainy effect of night vision adds to the creepy atmosphere.

Without giving much away the storyline is interesting as you gradually pick up research papers left around which are added to the journal and notes are added as the storyline progresses to each area. One criticism I have is the lack of environment interaction which I enjoy in some games, you are only able to pick research papers, open doors, jump and hide basically. It would of been nice also to of maybe have more of an investigative theme with (optional) hidden clues and puzzles to add more diversity to the game play.

Like with most horror movies and games, sounds plays an important part in the overall immersiveness, Outlast manages to capture this effect to good use, though the droning high pitched sounds were slightly irritating after a while, saying that the sound effects are well placed and voice acting are very good.

I did have a few jumpy moments and shocks primarily in the first hour of the game but then after I seem to become accustomed to the "monsters" running after me, having to sprint like mad and frantically try and find a place to hide. It took me around 5 hours to complete, I felt relativity satisfied that it's value for money though I doubt many people will want to play it through again, over all an enjoyable game and horror romp let down by one or two things that maybe could be improved on in a sequel.

Pros Graphically spot on for a horror game, night vision mode is great, being in a creepy asylum is a scary experience, lots of frantic running and hiding with scary/jumpy moments.

Cons Lack of environment interaction and exploration, no mod support, QTE (not a fan of them sorry). Not as intensely scary as I hoped for.

Storyline 7/10
    Graphics 8/10
    Music, sounds & ambience 7/10
    Voice acting 8/10
    Gore 9/10
    Scariness 6/10

Overall 7/10
  70. Sep 7, 2013
    This game is utterly terrifying, there is a new horror around every corner, and I was constantly having to change my pants, and that is why I love this game. You are in constant need of Batteries, the element you must collect to keep the night vision in your camera on. The enemies are very terrifying, and the atmosphere is very chilling, the graphics are very beautiful, and the jumpscares are real... And your character actually has competence, unlike most main characters in pop horror movies. From the moment you step foot in Mount Massive Insane Asylum, your goal is the escape, unlike most other plots, where you are constantly wanting to "find the secret of (enter generic horror movie location here)" Although your main character wants to escape, you actually find yourself WANT to learn more of what happend in Mount Massive... The only 2 downside to this game are the repetitive, "run or hide", moments, and the story once you have to follow the priest, I will give no more spoilers, but I will say, you could easily break through a window or door and just follow the priest instead of look for a way around to him... This is a great game and I recommend it if you are brave enough, and if you are looking for a great scare... Expand
  71. Sep 8, 2013
    This is the scariest game I've ever played!! And it's more dreadfully than any horror film! Play at night and in stereo headphones, then bedtime is provided to you long trek to the toilet)
  72. Sep 13, 2013
    Outlast's over-reliance on jump scares and shock eventually desensitizes the player, turning what was a terrifying experience into something repetitive and trite. It's over use of common western horror cliches and tropes wreaks of two-dimensial thinking, and I shouldn't have to explain how the old "haunted mental asylum" setting is pretty old hat.

At first, Outlast is actually pretty
    satisfying. There are some good surprises, and the visuals and sound are outstanding. Beyond the first hour, though, you quickly realize that you are just in for more and more of the same, and the game only rarely steps outside of it's comfort zone to offer real tension and 'new' surprises. Coupled with some technical issues and absolutely horrible character models, the game just falls flat on it's face very quickly.

It's better than a lot of horror titles that similarly rely on the same tricks, but not by much. It delivers for a while, but ultimately it becomes a bland and predictable walk into an amalgam of cliches and wasted potential.
  73. Sep 10, 2013
    Is it the best horror game ever? No.
    But that doesn't make it a bad game in fact the game it's pretty amazing in comparison to any other horror game released in the last 2-3 years.The graphics are the best it could offer with the Unreal Engine 3,and you would be amazed at some of the game scenery, though the NPCs faces look not so great and the game looses its sense of horror.The story
    starts out strong but you start losing interest at the half of the game and the end is pure mediocre like from a bad Hollywood horror movie.The fear of the game starts out with mostly jump-scares and then it rests on the atmosphere for trying to make the player paranoid.The characters are really cool and interesting from start to finish with a few exceptions.
    In the end Outlast is the best horror game in the last 2 years but not the best of all time.
  74. Sep 15, 2013
    Inlast place starts out as one of the best horror games in years. The first half of the game is filled with heart-pounding terror, hiding from maniacs who want to kill you (or worse!) and you can't fight back. The story isn't exactly new and creative, but it serves the game well.

The second half of the game is significantly worse in terms of gameplay, but still reasonably scary. After
    the third or fourth "avoid 2 enemies and interact with 2 objects" puzzle, you start to groan when you see "You need 3 fuses." By this point, you run away from enemies in long chase scenes at least as often as you hide from them. The chase parts are mostly good a couple seemed to be more like "hit a dead end, die, hit a dead end, die, then you know where to go." It didn't live up to the first half, but it was still very good, and still had me hooked. Expand
  75. Sep 10, 2013
    This game...i love it. I only expected that Red Barrels make a new Outlast 2, or a similar game. This style is the most impactant horror that you can experiment. Only you, and your camera. Stamina, shadows, blood, hide... This is the only one terror game that engaged me until the desire of not to finish it. Im sad now... Red Barrels, PLEASE, make me happy again.
  76. Sep 24, 2013
    First of all, i must say this game is a must buy to all horror game fans... reason for my 8... even though my review might seem i think less of it, i insist on my 8 for there is no other game on this category at this level.

I wont linger on how awesome the game is, but instead i shall leave my 8 and must buy comment as it is. However, i must talk about all bad aspects of the game,
    aspects that may not turn it into a bad game, but that will definetly not grant it a 10 or even a 7 if there were many other horror games.

First of all, i love the fact that unlike another great horror game, this one has no puzzles... all i gota do is pass by enemies... with that said, i must say that i am disapointed with the fact that after a while you realize thats pretty much it... i can actually go a bit further and say that not only thats pretty much it (running from enemies) but you can and WILL figure mechanics quite fast... rendering the game "scaryless" or atleast turning it way less scary.

On the same bridge, i must say that most spooks are pretty much cliches and expected... they use them over and over so much that after a while, you just pass by some dudes like, "oh hello there"... which is actually funny since they did not use some cliche scares that i expected but did not receive... For example, even though they made this interesting movement animation delay in order to create that interesting "horror movie slow camera" thing, they wasted opportunities such as the ladder climbing scare (that you see in a famous action/shooting/fear game) they also wasted some ventilation crawling spooks which i couldnt believe.

In general, you kinda get most of the mechanics pretty early. For example the fact that most "puzzles" (situations where you gota pass by enemies to reach destinations) are rectangles, so you either move from left to right/right to left or top to bottom/bottom top. regular spooks get silly and overly used... even though like i said they decided to leave out some interesting cliche scares.

In my humble opinion, i think horror games should use difficulty to their advantage and to players interest. For example, increasing difficulty could decrease door bashing time, increase enemies movement speed, decrease my vision, increase enemies perception, decrease battery handouts or atleast increase their consumption, etc. that way players such as myself that saw the game getting less and less scary, could just increase difficulty to raise tension level.

Following my difficulty suggestion, i must say that i find door bashing quite illogical. It seems right that you place these destructible walls and whatnot to give players a chance... BUT i do think redbarrel copied another game idea without realizing that enemies are different and that in outlast... enemies are humans with hands... yea sure 1 or 2 should have to bash but not all enemies... what happened to their hands? some even hold weapons lol... cant they hold handles? the fact that all enemies bash doors make this game easily beatable... as soon as i figured that out and the fact that most "puzzles" had bathrooms, i started luring enemies to the bathroom or room, closing myself inside the locker or whatever was inside, waited for them to open then close the room's door... thats it. that would allow me to get on with the objective... specially since there would be 1-3 doors for me to close after that... lol... atleast make enemies bash doors fast if they have to do it one after the other...
  77. Sep 11, 2013
    Well-done Red barrels,

the best horror games out this year so far and had the guts to bring it out so close to Amnesia a machine for pig and kick is ass.

made with the Unreal Engine 3 this is the best looking Horror game to date, I have been traveling while playing this game, so iv been playing it On a high to low to mid range PC's and from to low to the high settings it looks
    fantastic, of course is no Crysis, but its still the best looking horror game out at this moment in time.

Gameplay- only armed with a camcorder with Night-vision, you have to sneak around a insane asylum and run and hide away from crazies mutilated people.a great game mechanic but not revolutionary but it is done effectively, But this game play is not without its flaws it gets abit repetitive, pushing or turning 2 or 3 things while snaking past monsters is ok one or twice, but here its done too many time. fortunately towards to end of the game it changes its pace making you think and act more quickly. also now and again a jump scare is done effectively.

Just a quick point the music is fantastic don't know what to say about it but it is done really well also the folly sounds (foot steps breathing and atmosphere) are done perfectly

story- ok it might seam to be the cheesy game you hear about a journalist going into a insane asylum because he hear bad things were happening and what a surprise his phone and radio stops working, and it is really cheesy, but for some reason it works. You pick up documents which tell and inside story from the workers and in certain places when you hold up your camera he writes down his notes, this makes it more immersive.

Ok now the good is out of the way its now for the bad new. like i said before it can get abit repetitive, AI can be dumb at time and another time it can seem no matter what even if your hiding he can spot you. it is also abit linear and once you get about 2/3rds the way through the scares are no more, this is a problem with most scary games though, they can not scare you the whole time. Also they are too many batteries scattered about, One of the best times i had in the game is when you lose you camera. and you have to go searching in the dark for it.

One more bad is horror games need puzzles, back tracking, inventory and regenerating health is a bad thing, 3 hits and you dead, is not a good thing, the only game i think did this well is the resident evil in the PS1 stage. its a shame we now lost that type of horror but saying that this still the best horror game to come out this year.

Ok as you can see I gave this game a 7 but really i like to base it on price this game came out for 14.99 GBP the price i think its worth is 11.99 new, meaning fantastic indie game. but not with out its bad points and nothing new given to the genre.
  78. Sep 11, 2013
    This game is worth the $20. I got what I wanted out of it and that was to get that "panicked" feeling you get in a proper survival horror. And I got that. A lot. Camcorder aspect of the game was enjoyable. I liked the nightvision and the ability to zoom in. The resource managment was simple (batteries) but it was there and a requirement to beat the game. I like that. The environments and levels are well done. I didnt know what to expect when playing this game. I wanted to explore every part of it and find documents and batteries even though I knew I could possibly run into a monster. The game was very immersive. Seeing your characters feet and hands when performing basic actions (like peeking around a wall) added to the realism. And I liked that your character panted and even screamed at times. I like the inclusion of the "button mash minigame" for example, whenever you get grabbed by a monster you sometimes have the option to shake him off by waving the mouse back and forth. The score and sound effects were well done. The graphics and character models were great but were overused at parts. The game is mostly jump scares but they were well done. Its not disturbing but If youre squeamish it could be. Theres lots of gore so that could be a good thing or a bad one depending on your tastes. I wouldnt consider this a psychological horror. Lastly, I like the controls. You can probably remap them but its a plus I didnt need to. I liked the look behind you while running feature.
    I have some issues with the game however. I didnt like that the patients and monsters were encountered frequently. That took away the scare factor somewhat. However, the patients either talked to you, attacked you, or didnt do anything at all, so this made them unpredictable. Sometimes the character models were in plain sight made them less scary. The setting and story were pretty generic. But that didnt stop me from being interested in the game. The pacing sagged a bit towards the end and some of the bad guys werent very threatening (I took up to three hits from some and still lived).

Overall, I like this game and would recommend it to people. I was able to look past the games flaws and still have an enjoyable experience.
  79. Sep 12, 2013
    This game is the scariest game i have ever played. its better than Amnesia the dark descent. some parts are difficult and the ending was pretty sad but still extremely scary. i was too scared to play it sometimes! red barrels will have a great future with horror. great job red barrels 9/10
  80. Sep 13, 2013
    I personally thought this game was pretty good! for their first game it was great i hope to see more horror games from red barrles, they should have added custom stories.
  81. Jul 16, 2014
    This is one of my favourite horror games of the last 10 years. I played this back on release and have since played through the main story 3 times despite me knowing where the scripted scares are the game still manages to get me on edge and scare me. The atmosphere is incredibly well crafted by the soundtrack and the great visuals, gore litters the asylum and so do inmates some who are hostile and some who aren't. The game does a fantastic job of bringing back the great horror games that we've been missing this past decade. Expand
  82. Sep 17, 2013
    oldukça iyi bir korku oyunu. son yıllarda oynadıklarımın en iyisi diyebilirim rahatça. her dakikası ürpermenize sebep olsada başından kalkamayacaksınız...
  83. Sep 22, 2013
    Not bad, red barrels, not bad. This is certainly not a Slender Man, but certainly this game gets on my nerves. Anxious, uncomfortable, tense. Narrow corridors and permanent darkness cause claustrophobia. If the game was longer, she might have time to get bored small monotony, but its average duration is it a plus. Fans of horror recommended.
  84. Oct 16, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A great example of a genuine horror game. The developers really understand that atmosphere and vulnerability make a game scary, not just more monsters. Outlast is one of the better horror games to come out in recent times. It's only major failings are in the over-use of horror tropes and predictability. I also feel that there was a missed opportunity with the final boss. The Walrider could have played a much more integral part of the story. Messing with the environment and causing havoc over the course of the entire game. As it stands now all this "super powered" being ever really did was chase you around the last level like any normal enemy. But really the experience as a whole is well crafted. Expand
  85. Feb 24, 2014
    I have bought this game on steam, it is a waste of time and money in my opinion. this game is not scary at the very least, i never felt any tension mainly because once you realize that your pursuers are sluggishly slow, you understand they pose no actual threat meaning you can really breeze through the game and all its predictable jumpscares.
    i bought this game because i wanted a good
    scare but i was sorely disappointing. this game fail on both aspect of horror, shock and psychological. Expand
  86. Oct 2, 2013
    A disappointing experience all the way through. Even if you look past the walking cliche of a plot: a cynical journalist (cliche) uncovering the secrets (cliche) of an abandoned (cliche) insane asylum (big whopping cliche) where some German scientists performed questionable experiments (cliche-a palooza). Seriously even if you could look past that you couldn't look past the biggest flaw this game has: that not one part of this game hasn't been done before by previous games far superior to this one. Lets start with its much touted camera lens view. Other than the fact that its a video recorder it's blatantly obvious this has been done before in the fatal frame series. But then there's the battery life system of the camera itself. It's suspiciously similar to the lantern and oil used in amnesia in that your ability to see through the dark of the game is a limited resource. But the key difference between the two is that amnesia's was more tense and involved and ergo better in the context of a horror game. Allow me to explain:
    In amnesia while the lantern allowed you to actually see, the oil burned quickly and oil cans were somewhat sparse and sometime easy to overlook so you had to use it strategically because it made you easy to spot while being used and when it wasn't being used your sanity would deplete causing all sorts of difficulties making gameplay more tense.
    Now in outlast by comparison your night does admittedly eat through batteries quickly, however batteries are plentiful enough that in my playthroughs I never once came close to running out. Also, unlike amnesia, you don't have a sanity meter to keep watch of and your night vision does not attract enemies, so there isn't a whole lot of reason to not use night vision as much as possible. In summary outlast clearly has a knock off amnesia light mechanic and it's inferior to the original
    Come to think of it, a number of different cues seem to be taken from amnesia. The protagonists memos to himself, the collectible documents, the hiding places. Alot of it just seems copied. But amnesia clearly wasn't the only game the developers were copying. The deformed psychopaths throughout the game have a silent hill deformed monster feel to them. The big ugly mother who chases you around at several points even reminded me a little of pyramid head minus the helmet. And the crazed doctor who cuts your fingers off gave me more than one Clock-tower flashback. The game simply feels stitched together from its superior peers.
  87. Sep 30, 2013
    Finally, a horror game in a long while what actually scares me.
    Gameplay was a little too simple, but it was enough with the constant moving,but it's a shame that the levels were too linear.
    Quite interesting story too, with some well-placed task changes, but the ending was brutally ruined the atmosphere.
  88. Oct 8, 2013
    Long have I yearned for a game with almost perfect graphics since the days of Manhunt...and now I have been given OUTLAST AT LAST! The Best graphics this year, and though the storyline is pointless it still manages to be a decent game
  89. Oct 3, 2013
    Don´t get me wrong: The game has a great atmosphere, nice jump scares, quite good graphics and everything you would expect from a nice survival horror experience. However, the idea of giving the player not a single violent option to defend himself is heavily displaced here. At least a crowbar or a metal piece from one of those beds would have been great.
  90. Nov 9, 2013
    A game that will terrify you to begin with (to the point I screamed aloud), however you do get used to it but the story keeps you interested right until the end, (I didn't like the ending but wont spoil it for you). Overall a good game worth playing.
  91. Oct 13, 2013
    This game is amazing, great graphics, great story, and lots of fun. I loved it. The only thing I hated about it is the ending, there were a few minor glitches, but it is still an amazing game, if you have the money, I recommend to go and buy it.
  92. Nov 1, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is absolutely awful. As I was playing it, all I could feel was an intense frustration, and I was constantly hoping it would just end. The story- it's complete There was nothing in this game that came close to a coherent storyline, from beginning to end. The only I could understand was the most cliche bs I've EVER seen. Even the whole premise is garbage; you go to this insane asylum cause some anonymous guy tips you off. You get in there, and then as soon as you get in you are told to leave. But you can't leave from where you came because someone locked a door. This is just absolute garbage. There's no intriguing storyline to keep me interested at all, and the ending was I dont even have words it was so bad. God what the HELL? And the gameplay- it has a nice premise (definitely 'inspired' by amnesia...) but it fails at implementation. The camcorder gimmick doesn't work at all because nowhere in my whole playthrough did I run out of batteries, or find myself saving batteries. And yes my gamma was very low. This game has the dead space problem, the monsters just love being shown at any possible moment. This game doesn't understand that what you can't see will scare you more, and on the topic of monsters they weren't even scary. The big fat dude had me laughing my ass of at how stupid he looked and sounded. And having to go through sections after dying because the monsters never go away is incredibly annoying, absolutely destroyed my immersion after my first death. The jumpscares were really lazy and lame, not scary at all just annoying. The puzzles were ass, all they did was block progress. Seriously how many keycards and valves can you jam into one game? The linear gameplay was incredibly frustrating. Graphics were nice and sounds were ok, but the levels got really old because they don't change much. the only reason I gave it this high of a review is because it's just OK. It's not like garry's incident level of ****tiness, it does actually work and have decent production value, but don't buy it cause it sucks. If it was free I might recommend it just for funsies, but its 20 bucks so all i can is NO. play some amnesia if you want a good horror experience, just not the second one. Expand
  93. Nov 1, 2013
    I dont like horrors, but outlast is great game. Good storyline, atmosphere of horror and hopelessness, nice gameplay and scary music. Graphics in this game not so good like others aspects, but this game is one of my favorite in 2013 year. Hope you enjoy this scary adventure. PS I Want Outlast 2!!
  94. Dec 28, 2013
    нежданным.
    Благодарность играл.
    Слышал сделали.

Понимаю
  95. Jun 7, 2014
    Aside from all the stuff that's been given to this game about its "ruined storyline," Outlast for the PC created wonderful scares, an awesome sound design, and overall great experience for the player. The graphics make it so much more than the generic horror game, and professionally composed music score works perfectly with it. As the game goes on, you learn more about why you're in an asylum, who you are, and what's going on. For $20, this is a great buy. 9/10. Expand
  96. Nov 9, 2013
    I dont know if the game was worth the money but it was deffinately worth my time. Outlast is quite short like most survival horror games. The graphics are amazing. The story is decent and the gameplay is also great. if this game was as long as amnesia it would be almost as good as amnesia. Definitely better than a machine for pigs though.
  97. Nov 10, 2013
    First things first, this game looks freakin amazing. It is dripping with atmosphere. The soundwork is also stelar, but unfortunaly those are the only things that are constant throughout the game. The game starts out really strong, but the final third of the game is quite disapointing and not very scary. The game starts using more jumpscares and less tension the more you advance through the narrative. In the end, I still think it is a good experience. Expand
  98. Nov 6, 2013
    Outlast is a game with good potential that was marred by some poor design choices. The environment is good, and the general idea of hiding is well executed. Yet for a game that clocks in at around 5 hours, it manages to be repetitive in it's design. I understand there's only so much you can do with the concept, but the game literally becomes go here, turn 3 valves, flip 3 breakers, etc. While you hide from a guy who shows up to investigate each time you do it. This repetition removes any sense of fear that could be had, as if you know the person is always coming you cannot possibly be scared by them. A more minor complaint I would have would be the ending, which to put it bluntly, sucked hardcore. Outlast has a ton of potential and some great ideas, but they weren't executed as well as they could be. Overall, the game is probably overrated. It looks great and it plays well, but at the end of the day it's just repetitive and frankly the worst thing of all: It's just not scary. Expand
  99. Nov 7, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Driving up to this asylum let my heart beat so hard at the beginning. As you find your way into the building the atmosphere is numbing and overwhelming. This feeling won't change for the beginning and as you encounter your first inmates and dark corners and hallways somewhere you reach the apex of horror and fright as your protagonist breathes deeply and slowly in fear. This feeling is being projected on the player and you can feel the anguish of your guy going through hell.
    Unfortunately there is a plateau in atmosphere where nothing new happens You encounter the same type of enemy over and over again (that is why I only gave 8/10) until... you reach the evil and mangled doctor. At this point the game takes a turn and forces a new fear onto the player. But is this the End? Who knows? :D
  100. Jan 4, 2014
    Outlast is definitely scary. Those who have completed it will know that at some point in the game they have hidden in terror in one of the lockers as the Asylum Patients hunt you down. It relies more on jump-scares than Amnesia did, but like Amnesia it builds up a tense atmosphere with terrifying enemies and voice acting. If you liked Amnesia, try Outlast for a just-as scary experience.

1. Feb 21, 2014
    A game that is not as innovative as you would hope. It is very old school. Nevertheless, this is a real horror-game and we can guarantee that you will freak out. It may be old school, but it is still a very good game that will blow you away.
  2. Dec 5, 2013
    This is probably the most horrifying experience in videogames, ever!
  3. Oct 31, 2013
    On one side, you have linear gameplay, at times simplistic game design and plenty of clichés. On the other – an exciting opportunity to star in a very cool horror ‘movie’.