8.4

1. Sep 16, 2013
    For anyone enjoying Amnesia, Penumbra or other FPS horror games get this game. I just finished it and it kept me constantly freaking out. A story that isn't that well told via files you find scattered here and there. The only "weapon" you have is your camcorder, which gives you the ability to see in the light, but not for an extended period since it drains AAA-batteries (like an iPhone) and you've got replenish them by finding them also scattered around, though in short supply.

It's just a great game. I really recommend it to anyone who like games like Amnesia, Penumbra, perhaps the Resident Evil, Silent Hill series or others like them. BUT what differentiates this game from RE or SH is that you have to RUN and HIDE. No way to fight back.

Just... get this game and see for yourself.
  2. Jan 7, 2014
    I never felt so helpless and scared while playing the game. Also I had never gotten such strong emotions (mostly fear) from the video game. This game is highly recommended if you want to try something new, and if you have enough balls...
  3. Oct 24, 2013
    Pros: - Horrific atmosphere, intense music. - Gory - Great level design, realistic graphics - Epic ending - Takes about three days to finish Good because the game is repetitive as is. - A few surprises but not enough - Camera's nightmode adds extra horror - One of the scariest games out there Cons: - Same enemy repeated tens of times - Not so scary ghosts - Repeating patterns: Find a key, jump in a vent, walk a ledge, run from a monster
    - Somewhat cliché story
    - A lot of lost potential
  4. Feb 15, 2014
    Scarier than the scariest movie, which means it holds the tittle of the scariest game but by the time you near end it just drags on far too long.

Could have been a 9/10 if they just ended it sooner. Turned from running for you life to fumbling in the dark. 1 hr less and this game would have been master piece.
  5. Oct 29, 2013
    Haven't played a horror game in a long time. Graphics 8/10, Sound 7/10, Atmosphere 8/10, Gameplay 8/10, Story 5/10.
    Of course there were moments like: "Why the hell can't i go out of here through that window or jump across the fence."
  6. Sep 15, 2013
    Was not expecting such a polished and scary experience! The environments definitely set the mood and and all the effects are on point! Had to turn it off after an hour because I was getting really anxious.
  7. Dec 9, 2013
    This is one of my favorite horror games so far. Philosophically, they did a great job of making the user feel like they were never completely helpless, a pit that Amnesia seemed to fall into very often. Visually, the best. The appearance and atmosphere were perfect given the story and setting. There were occasions when the enemies were shown in the light for too long but this is only a minor issue. The ending... it worked for me but there were certainly parts of the story lost within the series of notes. I'll be looking forward to the next release by red barrels. Expand
  8. Sep 8, 2013
    Have to give Outlast a score of 5. I was expecting so much more from this, and it began so, so promising.
    The absolute worst thing about this game is the length. It's so incredibly short..
    It's short, and there's no custom story map editor feature, yet they ask for more money than Amnesia.
    The graphics are amazing, the enemies NPCs are incredibly detailed and look fantastic. I wish
    there was more to find than journals and batteries. I wish you had to maintain your health as well. MINOR SPOILER: Enemies in this game do not disappear, like they do in Amnesia. This is a great plus for Outlast, but since you have no health bar and you regain health automatically, there isn't much risk trying to sneak by an enemy.

I'm gonna hope for some REALLY lengthy DLC to save this game. While I do not like it, I would spend a few more euro to get more of this.
  9. Sep 4, 2013
    I can see this getting canned for only one reason: national pride.

Those who've played it will know what I'm talking about. The US did recruit a number of there former enemys specialists and they did perform questionable research...specifically biological and psychological warfare (in fact the game has in the various journals almost word for word excerpts from said research, with names
    dates and locations changed) and I can't fault people for being in denial over those events (for those curious I do recommend a google search or two on the subject...very chilling stuff and a real lesson in monitoring ones government, to serve and protect...sometimes the latter drives those in power to extremes to one up would be opponents.)

I say this because there's already one review here based solely on this. Now onto the game: It's near flawless in execution the atmosphere is...amazing without a flaw...and the scares are therefore very well designed in that any scare in this little world is a brilliant scare, however there are sections where you are being chased and there is no alternative but to keep running and hope you can crawl or slip through an area your pursuer can't follow these are the weakest feeling parts of the game...they happen a bit to regularly and can't help but feel heavily scripted even if brilliantly so (an enemy has a set pattern of behaviors and they design a small section built around this, with very planned exits)

I've also heard tell it's rather short, which doesn't surprise me as mentioned every inch was designed with care (sometimes to it's detriment again as mentioned) but for the price it's still easily worth it.

I very much look forward to see'ing more from these dev's.
  10. Feb 24, 2014
    Scariest game I've played so far easily. Does a good job of balancing jump scares along with just overall creepiness and atmosphere. Was slightly disappointed in the story by the end of it but that's just me. Overall very good game.
  11. Oct 5, 2013
    I'm starting to get the feeling that this is the new trend in horror games. Take every weapon away from the player and let them attempt to guide their character through dark linear buildings with just the faintest suggestion that violence may ensue. Games like Amnesia have not necessarily set the new "mold" for this genre, rather games like, Condemned: Criminal Origins, have shown us that we can still be terrified by conflict centered around some unsettling environments and settings. Sure, Castle Brennenburg was a grisly and unnerving place, but the scares are predictable, the enemies can be entirely avoided as well. In 2013's "Outlast," we are aided by a video camera that runs on two auspicious batteries that pop up all over the place to allow the player to utilize a night vision screen filter. The problem here is, it isn't unsettling or terrifying not being able to see in the dark. Its tedious. Yes it was tedious in Amnesia and its tedious here as well. In Condemned you couldn't avoid combat, often times you were shoved into it to get further through each area, which was a good way of connecting with a player: "You could constantly be in danger." In Amnesia its, "Hide here till the spooky spooks walk away and then proceed down the dark corridor." Which makes Outlast look even worse as it clearly complies with this logic. There are many reasons why Outlast "phones home" when it comes to its intentions, but its still a very well crafted game. It may even turn the genre around, but lets hope they don't all start building games around player-characters that are unable to combat anything around them. Waiting for some twisted in-mate to wander off from me in Outlast was about as boring as Amnesia's predictable grab-item triggered spooks and I hope someone sees that this is not necessarily the way to go in the first person horror domain. Condemned remains as the one the finest moments in that genre and remains to this day as having the most visceral combat system ever- coupled with real scares that were deeply unsettling. Expand
  12. Mar 26, 2014
    The atmosphere and visuals are very well done, and lend greatly to the overall experience of the game. As a veteran to horror titles, however, I found the 'horror' aspect of the game to be somewhat lacking. Outlast certainly has it's share of creepy moments and well timed jump scares and is still a great game overall, but beyond the polish it felt as though something more was missing.

My one real gripe with the game is that the vast majority of enemies you encounter in the game all follow a similar 'search and chase' AI that takes little effort to outsmart, which greatly detracts from the immersion and fear of evading and escaping them. There were also several times throughout the game when the "activate X number of things while evading a patrol" mechanic was used, all of which boiled down to performing the exact same "stay out of sight and move when they move" tactic, which took away from the overall experience for me. There were also a few times where I would become more frustrated than frightened over trying to deal with and evade enemies as I progressed.

All of that said however, Outlast is still a very satisfying game to play, and is worth the asking price. Gameplay is smooth and fluid, character interaction with the environment is an uncommon and welcome touch, and the night vision mechanic is implemented very well. While it's not a game I would play through again, I certainly recommend it to anyone looking for another title in the horror genre to keep them occupied.
  13. May 9, 2014
    An achievement in horror. Tops a lot of what passes off as horror these days (with the exception of the original Dead Space). Incredible setting and characters. You become immersed in the world. I can't wait to play games like this on the oculus rift..imagine that. Red Barrels knows horror. You think Saw, Amnesia, Bioshock Infinite were scary? Play this with the lights off and the headphones turned up. Highly Recommended. Can't wait to see what else they cook up. Would be cool if we could get a physical edition of this and the dlc someday. Expand
  14. Feb 23, 2014
    If you want something like Amnesia: The Dark Descent, then this is the game to play. It's not as atmospheric as Amnesia, nor is the storyline as intriguing, but you will still love Outlast start to finish.

The scares are all done the right way. You will find yourself jumping out of your seat many times. You will find yourself in constant paranoia and getting bursts of fear-induced
    adrenaline for the large chunk of the game. The gameplay isn't mind-blowing, but still holds up extremely well.

The only negative point I'll give this game is that some of the level design is very poor, and you could find yourself running around in circles or possibly getting killed because it can be cramped, confusing and repetitive, though that doesn't ruin the game in any sense. Overall, if horror games are your thing, this'll probably be in your top 10.
  15. Feb 5, 2014
    The game is the most scariest games I have ever played!! The atmosphere is amazing, graphics are very good. If you like scary games, you must play this!
  16. Sep 30, 2013
    Uno de los juegos que en mas tensión me ha tenido. Es increíble la forma en la que te mantiene pendiente de lo que ocurre, los alrededores EL SONIDO, el ambiente en si con todas sus aspectos gores que no hacen mas que aumentar la inmersión con la zona y su protagonista. MUY RECOMENDADOS PARA LOS AMANTES DEL TERROR Y EL HORROR.
  17. Xon
    Sep 13, 2013
    Since I have very limited free time I prefer games that offer a great experience for 6 12 hours. This game takes less than 5 but it has all the right components to validade the entrance fee.
  18. Sep 6, 2013
    The best horror survival game in the genre. The atmosphere is utterly terrifying and very immersive. Audio and visuals are top notch and very impressive not just for an Indy game, but in general. This is an absolute must play for those who are into the horror genre.
  19. May 25, 2014
    Good game, an actually good looking scary game, not many are like that. This game does not do a lot of cheap jump scares even though it has a few, the scares most comes from the environment it creates, it has so much tension that the first 2 or 3 hours of play will likely to be broken down into 40minute sessions so you can take a break in between.

The games main problem is that it loses
    its scare about half way in, you are no longer as frightened and do not feel as vulnerable, because evading the enemy is not too difficult, and that a close up on an enemy's deformed face really loses the scare, because no matter how scary and menacing the enemy, it is not as scary as the unknown, the shadow, a sound etc...

But overall, a lot of fun and scares, especially considering that its a new studio and an indie game.
  20. Nov 4, 2013
    Such a good game, and it really is terrifying. It's sort of like Amnesia, but with better graphics, and a bit more gruesome when it comes to the gore. I tried playing it lights off with headphones, and let me just say I jumped more times than I care to admit. It really has an interesting story that weaves a really terrifying narrative together. I found myself glued to my screen, which I felt torn about because on the flip-side of being a great story, it was also terrifying and I did have to take breaks because it was so tense.

TLDR: Great story, truly terrifying, and has a fit and finish that is really great. The graphics are top notch, and it's truly a must have if you're a fan of horror games like Dead Space 1 and the Amnesia series.
  21. Sep 10, 2013
    surprisingly fun.
    felt like a stealth game, with a horror theme and secondary detective theme.
    if it were a bit longer i'd have probably rated it higher. it was also pretty easy.
    the only time's i died were because i missed something stupid a few times in a row, then kind of a derp moment.
  22. Sep 5, 2013
    Probably my most anticipated horror game of 2013, Outlast, attempts to dethrone Amnesia with it's brilliant graphics, solid atmosphere, interesting story, and bone-chilling thrills. However, does it succeed? First off, lets discuss how much you are getting for $20. The game, as stated previously, looks beautiful. This is easily the best-looking (and best-sounding) horror game to ever be released. The story is intriguing, to say the least, but the ending may leave you feeling your whole adventure was worthless and changed nothing. Controls are solid, and vaulting over obstacles made you feel more competent as a survivor than Amnesia could ever bring, though some objects that I should have been able to vault over, I could not, causing some unnecessary deaths.

I have only 2 problems with this game: The ending, and the play-time. Like I said, the ending leaves you feeling like playing the game's story was pointless (I'll leave you to figure out how & why). I got about 4 hours out of this game, which surprised me greatly, as I assumed that the game would run for well over 8 hours. I expect the game would have been even shorter had it not asked you to activate a certain number of objects, or to go find a key for a door every 10 minutes. The puzzles could have been more diverse, as they lacked creativity.

Overall, it's a really well done horror game. Beautiful, atmospheric, and has a decent story. However, the short duration and poor ending are likely to ruin it for a few, as it did for me.

Graphics: 9/10
    Gameplay: 9/10
    Sound: 9/10
    Story: 7/10
    Play-time: 6/10

Overall: 8/10

I recommend getting it. It's a great buy for $20.
  23. Sep 24, 2013
    Get a 2560 monitor or larger, make sure you only play at night with all the lights off (not even a candle or any ambient light if possible), stick some decent headphones on, make sure there are no distractions, and get READY for THE SCARIEST GAME EVER MADE. I don't say that lightly either, being a veteran of the first Amnesia game, FEAR games and several Resident Evil titles, as well as Alan Wake and Slender etc.. The amount of times I literally jumped and had difficulty continuing forward was unprecedented for me. Ok, I admit that after a few hours or so the fear-factor subsides a bit, but still the tension and surprises continue. This is an excellent example of how horror and survival can be blended expertly into a game that does the best job I've ever seen of re-creating how it must feel to actually be in a horror movie. Ok, the story of medical experimentation and a hideous secrets in an old asylum won't win awards for novelty, but it terms of its FPS platforming-stealth/survival-horror gameplay it raises the bar I think. When you walk through a pool of blood you even leave footprints, and can see your hand and body, hear your heart-thumping and breathing. The camera, being your almost sole source of light at times, works wonderfully too. The cat and mouse games with the inmates though, as well as the fidelity and atmosphere of the environment, and constant good level-design choices is what has pushed this game up the list for me as a contender for non-AAA game of the year. I hate to say this, but please punish us some more with some sequels or DLC! Expand
  24. Sep 10, 2013
    Howdy folks! You like blood? Violence? Freaks of Nature? Well then come on down to Mount Massive Asylum in Colorado! Seriously, two words, two beautiful but overused words that at one time got a lot of true blue horror junkies excited, but now have more so just become a matter of "time will tell," and these two intriguing words are "survival" and "horror" placed back to back. All things move towards their end I suppose, just like how monsters and horrible mere shadows of former selves come along and ruin it for everyone, and then boom, the modern generation becomes a mockery of what once was. However, survival horror is still alive thankfully, though it limps, and boasts its scars, and at times even the mighty fall here and there, its black heart still beats, and with games like Outlast, the beat is pretty damn satisfying to march to. Hopefully it marches in the very direction this genre needs to go, and beyond. Outlast can proudly join the grown ups table among this generations finest horror games, and even earns the right to wear the true label of "Survival Horror." Quite honestly, it doesn't even really have to be considered of "this generation," as it really does stand among the all time greats. Now don't get me wrong, this is not a masterpiece or a genre bender, as most of its cues come from previous titles, but it does what it does so well, and has done its horror homework so well, and knows its audience well enough and sticks to its guns well enough, to deliver a satisfying, scary, exciting, and just wicked good time all the way 'round. Outlast tells the tale of one very unfortunate soul (you) who by night, breaks into an asylum after having received an email telling you that there is one hell of story and cover up going on inside. Well seeing as you are a journalist and in need of a shocking, jump starting story, why not investigate? Oh, if you only you knew how sticky the web you crawled into really was, and if only you knew just how venomous that big black spider on the other side really is...but, that's the beauty of it, that is the sadistic and menacing side to it that will make you either smile or quite minutes in. Outlast is one of those games that truly lets you know what kind of horror fan you are. Will you spend the game screaming, sweating, ducking the computer, pausing frequently to breath? Or will you find yourself smiling, enjoying the weather, and wanting to catch every gruesome detail on camera? Oh yes, enter the camera. No, not like Fatal Frame, oh no, no, this is one incredible gimmick that works wonders and gives the entire game its identity. After countless horror films have now been made starring digital video cameras, it finally hits the gaming world. Honestly, if you are like me, the thought makes you groan, and feel almost exhausted at the cheap gimmicky idea, enough already. If you are like me, you were wrong. Red Barrels has put the camera to excellent use here. Think of it as your lantern from Amnesia, the game that Outlast borrows the most from, and it is just as, if not more important than that lantern. The camera is not just so you can witness what it is bumping in the night, but with it, you will document, zoom in on threats and solutions, forward much of the story, and most importantly, use its night vision to see in the dark, which can either be as simple as stumbling through the corridors, or playing hide and seek with three bloodthirsty escaped inmates in a twelve by fifteen room in complete darkness. It is as fun and as nerve racking as it sounds. Outlast is a gruesome, and to some, shocking game. It does not care how much gore is on display, they want Mount Massive asylum as sick, dark, wet, bloody, and even perverted as possible. The great thing is, the developers achieve this without ever once turning the game into shock horror shlock. It seems odd to say, but the game remains almost tasteful, even during a rather unexpected close up of male on male necrophilia. The game stumbles slightly with screen tears here and there, and a few of its greatest ideas get stuck on repeat, but honestly, that wasn't what I was thinking as I ran for my life, grinding my teeth, hammering my fingers on the mouse, every time one of the unharmable enemies was breathing down my neck, while I fumbled trying to get that damn camera out and into night vision mode, and oh the horror when you run into a door that doesn't open, or your crawling under a pile of debris just it see everything stop as whoever is chasing you has you by the foot, and begins to drag you back out, all the while screaming and laughing out of his mind. This is a survival horror game, and a good one. The story is intriguing, the music and atmosphere are fantastic, the lighting works wonders, and the tension is high. Not without faults, and sometimes easy to call when your safe and can breath, but when everything comes together just right, you are afraid, plain and simple. That's showing em, Outlast. Expand
  25. Sep 9, 2013
    While Outlast is an OK game, it certainly disappointed me. It was a cool ride, but that was it. It had a creepy atmosphere early on and clearly a lot of attention was given to details, but as far as the story goes, it's a very simplistic and vague story and the game gets very repetitive. It became predictable and easy, you can take a lot of hits from enemies before dying, which takes away a lot from the fear factor. Enemies are also encountered too often, which provides for great jumpscares but not much beyond that. Couple all that with a mediocre ending and you will see why Outlast isn't a mind blowing game. It is, though, an interesting game, and if you are a fan of the survival horror genre, it's a game worth buying. If you're not into survival horror, don't bother. Expand
  26. Sep 6, 2013
    Did you lost faith in parkur adventure, horror and stealth genres? Did you lost hope to see realistic, immersive and HARDCORE AAA game without press x to win kill streaks and cluttering UI? Outlast will restore your faith in everything mentioned and game industry! It also will prove you that indie team of 10 men can do AAA-Indie titles without greedy publishers that killing their creative freedom and forcing them to make a Call of Duty and Gears of War accessible for wider re-tar-ded audience.

No no no, this game is not accessible to wide audience, it will scare out of most players not only because its good horror, but also because it realistic and hardcore stealth just like Thief was and its damn hard for brain-dead Call of Duty Xbox 360 generation, thats why its damn pleasant for old school gamers such as me who loved realism and challenge in older games before its almost gone from modern games.

If you love hard challenge, innovative, realistic and purely immersive games such as Alone in Dark 2008, and if you hate YOBA call of duty style FPS games, you will love this one! If you love true survival horrors where survival is very hard because you cant even fight back, and if you love Amnesia you will love this game as well, and if you love old Splinter Cell up to Chaos Theory and loved Thief and remember that scarry part in catacomb, you will love this game too!

I love this game, its not perfect however, but its almost what i dreamed about for many years. Oh yeah, did i tell you that its one of rare games with full body awareness and every action in game totally animated?

What you waiting for BUY THIS GAME ALREADY! I cost twice cheaper than most of recent Mediocre AAA games like Tomb Raider 2013, Bioshock Infinite, Resident Evil 6, Splinter Cell Blacklist, Call of Duty BO2, Metro Las Light, Far Cry, Assassin's Creed 3 and so on, but it brings more fun and joy than all of them together. Before this game 2013 year was a year of dissapointment (if you count only AAA type of games), but Outlast game changed it for me! 10 men can do job better than over 100 men in big companies, and glory of this game puts all big companies to shame!

And a bonus: no pre-cut DLC, no season passes, no achievements and stupid unlocks that turns game intro retarded grind, and most important this game is MOD-FRIENDLY and allows to tweak AI and Difficulty a lot, nothing locked, and critical patches was released just next day after bugs was reported! Truly old-school PC-specific way of doing business with respect to customers!

P.S. devs of this game worked before in Ubisoft, EA, Eidos, THQ and WB (all Montreal studios) on such titles as Prince of Persia, Splinter Cell, Thief, Dead Space, Assassin's Creed, Army of Two and Uncharted, so you can see where roots of this game goes from, als Red Barrles seems to be tired of all that games that gone into wrong direction recently due of lack of creative freedom in big studios, so the decided to say "Go to hell, we will make our own game with blackjack and hookers" and unleashed their creativity in their own little indie studio, that kicked balls of major studios and other indies by showing how indie game made by few guys can be all AAA and better than major AAA tiles made by big teams.

After Outlast it would be shame for indie and major studios to not do games as good as Red Barrels did!
    Fully animated body awareness and pure realism and true immersion without UI, XP grind and stupid kills-streaks and with AI that can hear and see almost anything should be a new trend since now! Its damn 2013 not 2003 after all!
  27. Feb 14, 2014
    Totally awesome atmosphere. I am a bit of a fan of the found footage horror genre, and this game is as close as it gets to being the camera person. I haven't had a video game make my heart race in a long time, and this game will scare the crap out of you, lights on, middle of the day, other people in the house. only play at night, lights out and home alone if you enjoy using your underwear as a diaper. Expand
  28. Sep 8, 2013
    One of the best horror game I played. Great story, great graphics, perfect atmosphere. Pure pleasure for all senses! Complete horror experience, from the beginning to the end. Buy this game and support developers. I hope they will work on Outlast 2, because this game has outstanding potential to become even better than Amnesia series.
  29. Oct 10, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. There are very few reasons why I didn't give this game a 10/10.

One is that by the time you get to the last parts of the game, it's no longer scary.
    Also the game could have exploited some ideas way better, for example (SPOILER) when the main character loses the camera, they could have done more things there to make you suffer, instead you find the camera kinda fast and it's kinda ''meh''.
    The other thing is the plot twist at the end. (WARNING MORE SPOILERS) So you get into this asylum full of crazy dangerous people... and in the end it turns out its some spooooooooky ghost? What the f***? That was very disappointing to me BUUUUT other than that, the game is gold.

Scariest game I've played IN YEARS, plus some extra points for the mention of the MK Ultra experiments, nice stuff.
  30. Feb 25, 2014
    Really horrifying. I like to play horror games but not this one. This one tortures my soul. Nonetheless I really enjoyed it. The atmosphere is so scary. The creatures too. And if you think they are not very scary, I would agree with you. But I think the developers don't want this game to become deadly, they just wanted it to be deadly scary. And hell yes. I screamed about 20 times during play, six were very loud. I think the neighbours heard me. I was scared to death. I've completed the bloody game. But no thanks. I don't want to do this again. Expand
  31. Nov 2, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This was a great horror game. The visuals were impressive and the music fit perfectly to create its eerie style. Unfortunately I was thrown out of the games atmosphere a little too often while playing, even though I always played in a dark room with headphones. Not really anything big, but little things like unmotivated act transitions. An example of this would be when you accomplish a goal in a room and turn around, all the doors in that room would be magically shut and locked and a previously closed vent would be open. Not all the transitions in the game are so lazily realized, but when they happened it threw me out of the atmosphere. Another common problem I found was I felt like my character almost wanted to stay trapped even though he was trying to escape. In particular I remember at one point I had to shimmy across open windows outside only a few stories high. I'm pretty sure any sane person would jump out of an open window in such an environment. The game play itself does start to get repetitive toward the end, but the game is relatively short so it doesn't ever get boring. Still, this game does a great job overall and will surely be a hit for many players who love horror games, including this reviewer. Expand
  32. Dec 29, 2013
    I've played just about all survival-horror games, and I was really looking forward to this one being kind of like Fatal Frame. I quickly learned it wasn't like that at all.

It sets the atmosphere very well, but if you're observant you will know what's coming. Example: Zero places to hide for many rooms, the instant you get to the room with a switch, there's a locker you can hide in.
    Flip switch, hide in locker, wait for monster to patrol. Apparently I missed out on a great deal of the jump scares by doing this, but when it's set up so obvious, I couldn't avoid doing it. Another example of this is how there will be a couple of obstacles you have to jump over while going down a long hallway. 90% of the time, you're about to get chased and have to jump over those boxes again.

Then I learned you can just agro the mobs and kite them around until you find where you need to go, then circle around and close a few doors and you're home free.

I experienced some bugs as well, most were minor, but one major in the theater room. The scripted even when you get the key wouldn't trigger and I was left having to quit and load up the save (meaning I had to do the entire theater over again.) Had to do this twice before it finally triggered and I was allowed to continue.

It was also pretty easy to get immersed (suggest wearing headphones and turning off the lights.) Even when I'd get really into it, the game would break this immersion with the ridiculously short battery life, where I'd have to stop and change the battery. It left me feeling annoyed at times, and seemed fairly trivial considering I never had less than 5 batteries in my inventory at a time, even when I was burning through them in the dark areas.

The ending seems to be mixed with most players, it left me wanting more to be honest.

I didn't use any walkthroughs (I did google the theater bit when it bugged out though.) I played on normal difficulty, 3 hours 25 minute play time.

Overall, I'm glad I purchased (on sale) and played it. Was a decent game, wouldn't say it's amazing or great but a worthwhile experience nonetheless.
  33. Sep 11, 2013
    This was probably the most fun I've had playing a horror game in a good while, which surprised me because I really wasn't expecting much out of this one. Jump scares are definitely not the only things that will give you the chills, this game has strong atmosphere, and lurking around to avoid being seen by enemies can be some of the creepiest parts of the game, and can be terrifying when you're being chased. The game also has enough meat to it to put all of it's mechanics to good use without ever feeling underplayed or gimmicky. I also feel that the game does a good job of making you care about the main character's well being, he goes through so much crap in this game that it makes it all the more motivating to keep going and see what happens next. I wont say more, overall I highly recommend this to horror fans, it's pretty awesome. Expand
  34. Sep 5, 2013
    There's not much to say. Fluent gameplay, interesting story, good atmosphere. The only downside for me was the fact, that it's not that scary. But still, it's enjoyable.
  35. Sep 6, 2013
    Before I say anything, keep in mind, this is a low price game with many full price features. So, with that in mind, I feel I can be a bit generous with my verdict of Outlast.

What I consider to be of a full price nature are the graphics (only FSAA currently missing from the limited options, surely the PS4 will be getting some AA, right?), which are very good, not amazing, but great use
    of lighting and perfectly smooth. The sound is also very good, excellent subtleties that don't infringe on the intended mood of the game, although the soundtrack can become slightly cliche at times. Controls are tight, movement effects (crouch, run, look behind, etc) all done ell and, more importantly, not overdone. Again, considering the price, Outlast can and does look and sound better than many full price titles.

The budget elements only really come down to lacklustre character models some could have looked a lot better and the fact that Red Barrels add a nice touch with showing a close-up of the hand when leaning against walls, etc, but decided to leave it looking rather substandard. Small niggles that wouldn't have taken much time to resolve but would have meant that all of Outlast looked nice, not just most of it.

Scary? I'm not so sure, not in a Amnesia way, more like a F.E.A.R. way really; which ultimately makes it more of a shocker than an outright horror. Amnesia is the master of pretence, whereas Outlast just throws it at you. It has it's moments but it's not as clever as Amnesia.

Film grain? Not my thing, but it's there.

Overall, good, but considering the price tag, I'm going to say very good.
  36. Oct 10, 2013
    grew up in the 80s and was raised up on horror movies. loved the first silent hill and any other game that scare the beegies outta me. this game has scared the beegies outta me. fantastic graphics, wonderful wonderful controls, great atmosphere and fantastic writing and voicing. this game has wowed me and impressed me in not only the fear i have playing it but the quality of the game as well.
  37. May 19, 2014
    A solid effort! If you like survival horror movies with all those cheap scares then you will really like this. Its not massively clever, but in terms of suspense this has it in spades. I would like to see the developers branch out a bit more into an interactive and psychological horror movie with a bit more immersion than just reading documents and taking videos. But over all this is a good game that does a very good job at what it was made for. Expand
  38. Sep 15, 2013
    The horror video game genre is a classic category that is at its peak by delivering a range of games that can throw in some gore or jump scares.
    Unfortunately, Outlast was no unique exception:
    While the game offers the similar suspense of walking through a ruined city at twilight with the distant snarl of a canine, it was short to offer depth and originality.
    Yes, I am happy to admit I
    didn’t go five minutes without being scared or freaked out whilst playing, but I was hoping it would deliver that emotion in a different way to the typical expectation thus this made the jump scares predictable and less intimidating. The story was something different, albeit unfinished and hinting towards a sequel but the atmosphere of an asylum has grown far above cliché for the horror genre not to mention yet another device the protagonist can use to see in the dark.
    If you like a game that scares you, this is a perfect choice, but if you want the next generation of horror video games, you’ll have to wait.
  39. Sep 5, 2013
    This is a superman game. You play superman, but not as superman but as Clark Kent, the reporter. Your job is to acquire the best damn footage possible. The targets of your hunt are not very camera friendly and will all try to kill you, but it's k.
  40. Sep 5, 2013
    Well this game is really creepy. Do not listen to the douchebags saying otherwise just for the sake of argument and for proving their "manliness" The developers knew how to build tension and scare the sh*t out of me. Some jump scares here and there, but luckily they did not overdone it. Also a lot of sick scenarious and places make this game a rather twisted experience. Nightmarish stuff, well worth giving it a chance. Headphones and nighttime recommended for full effect. Expand
  41. Sep 6, 2013
    I was skeptical when starting to play. I've played a lot of horror-type games and often remain unfazed. This is one of the few games that has successfully immersed me into the game and caused me to jump and my heart to skip a few beats. Well done.
  42. Oct 13, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. My biggest problem with Outlast is that it doesn't do what it was made to do. At least not very well. I played through the game in one sitting, had the lights off, headphones on etc. and after the first hour of gameplay the scares felt boring. There were many times where the game showed potential by building up suspense, but those moments were wasted with tiny jump-scares, leaving me unsatisfied.

*SPOILERS*
    There were some moments in this game that felt truly genuine. Moments like that would include going outside in the rain and the dark, and seeing the Walrider for the first time. In that moment I didn't exactly feel scared but I did feel uncomfortable, which is a feeling not many games can deliver. Another good example would be the scene where the player is captured by, and escapes, from Trager. Both of these scenes were good, but they were short lived and eventually became wasted potential.

The plot in Outlast was interesting at best. Reading through most of the notes is necessary to understand the story, which is expected. After reading all the notes I could find, I felt confused by the end. The ending of the game was the most disappointing part. Outlast was a game that could have been so much better, but fell short in almost every aspect of the game.
  43. Sep 8, 2013
    Hi. Outlast is a very good game. It starts very creepy, but, as the game advances, all this vanishes until is not a scary game anymore. At last it results so, so fun. Bye.
  44. Sep 6, 2013
    From an early age i have been watching tons of scary movies and played a lot of scary games. I guess i tempered my sense of horror and dont get scared that easily anymore. The only game i have been scared playing is Amnesia.. until now. This game is so scary that i cant play it! By reaction i press escape and find my self having a hard time getting back to the game. The camcorders night vision mode makes the atmosphere and the fact that you dont have any weapons to defend yourself makes it even more scary. The controls are good. Easy flow and i like that I can look back while running to make sure no one is following. Buy this game and a pair of undies) Expand
  45. Apr 7, 2014
    Here I am a grown man and this game scared the living bejesus out of me. Wowzers. If you like horror video games you're going to like it. I had to sometimes stop playing at night because I was so scared.
  46. Sep 7, 2013
    Just bought it and played atleast half an hour into it.. I think i can definitely say, the game is about as good as a penumbra or dead space, if better. its got the horror si-fi taste in it witch makes it beautiful. I very highly recommend children under 18 to not play this, it will scare the heck out of young ones. Lots of blood and gore and very heavily horror scenes.. Great game though, great game. Expand
  47. Sep 5, 2013
    WoW i pass this game tonight its take 2:50 Min for me, what can i say pure horror and psychological game i dont care if they take some Condemned and f.e.a.r together in shaker and wo'la Whole new game reborn this is what horror games should be.
  48. Oct 21, 2013
    Quite possibly the best horror game I've ever played. I was genuinely terrified throughout most of this game. My only real criticism is the ending which was far too abrupt. The rest of the game was extremely atmospheric and made to very high standards.

I really enjoyed the use of the video camera which can record certain events and help you to see in the dark. In fact, the night vision
    on the camera is the most realistic I've ever seen in a video game.

There were several jump scares but the real scares came during the moments when the unpredictable AI was hunting me. The sound design is another great aspect of this game. It made the scary parts even more scary and helped alleviate some of the cheesy-ness of the jump scares.

All in all, a fantastic game with a great flare for the survival horror genre. Amnesia is in trouble.
  49. Jan 9, 2014
    The atmosphere and sound of this game make it a true horror experience. It gives you that feeling of wanting to play to finish the game but also not wanting to play due to the fear it brings.

Slightly linear at times and repetitive objectives slightly drag down the score but well worth a go for horror fans.
  50. Sep 4, 2013
    Honestly, Outlast is a good game, but it's nothing special. If you cross Condemned, FEAR and Amnesia, this is what you'll get. It's, however a very calculated game. I see calculated as opposite to cleverly planned. Especially the beginning of the game feels as if Red Barrel were devs that played Amnesia and wanted to remake it on a AAA-level. It has a massive mass market appeal with its quite predictable plot (find a keycard, oh, now electricity is broken, go to the cellar to turn it back on) and clichéd setting. There's not much variety in gameplay, nor in story (which has loads of horrendous plotholes) and the horror is not very subtile. Sometimes the game is screaming "look I'm scary!" especially with the sometimes absurd amount of gore and copy-pasted scare-setpieces. While Amnesia is scary because you can't see what scares you, Outlast is supposed to be scary because you see everything. Sure, it's 20 bucks, you'll get your fun out of it, but it's not scary and terrifying in a revolutionary way. There are a few jump scares here and there but mostly it's kind of predictable. My money is on Amnesia: A Machine for pigs. Expand
  51. Sep 14, 2013
    If you are ever constipated just play this game, kidding, but with joking aside it was a really horrifying game. I was only able to play it for an hour at a time cause I would get so stressed and freaked out. The atmosphere is perfect, voice acting is perfect...everything about the game is perfect. Without giving away the ending, I will say that it was the perfect ending and a good twist. The only problem I have with the game is that I wish it was much longer., but that is such a minor complaint that I don't think it should effect it's overall score. If you like horror games then definitely go and buy this, worth every penny. Expand
  52. Sep 8, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I cant bash this game entirely. I know there are people who are just never satisfied with anything and will give this game 0's because...well...they have no life.

What did I want out of this game? I want horror, I wanted shock factor. What did I get? Both.

I launched outlast at about 2 a.m. in the morning. The game at first had some very interesting storyline? You play a reporter who enters an asylum full of maniacs and your objective from the time you walk in is to escape. (I could have told him that from the start). But, in terms of storyline this is where things fell apart, as you spend more time trying to figure out how to escape areas rather than knowing what you are doing (storywise). And the game does this, you're having fun running around escaping, hiding, sneaking around corners but you never really know whats going on other than, "dont die." Near the end you end up where you started in an elevator just about to make your grand escape from the asylum and then all the sudden the controls on the elevator go bonkers and you wind up in a arctic tunnel? It just makes no sense. Then you are assigned an objective from a scientist to take a clone off life support, you get herded by some random ghosts and then supposedly you become one.

ending spoiler:
    so as you approach the doors walking cripple because you are overtaken by this ghost, a swat team followed by the scientist you talked to earlier comes out and shoots you. you die but supposedly the ghost who took over your body comes out and kills them all. the end.

this is the problem I have with the game: The game should have ended with the reporter escaping on the correct floor of the elevator and something should have happened right when he got into his car. (i.e. someone like a person from the asylum scares him from the back seat of his suv?) or they should have made him escape some how completely and then put a creepy twist. Instead as you scroll down the elevator the developers said "screw this" were going to take this guy down a artic tunnel...which just makes no sense at all.

You enter an asylum.You get confronted by a supposedly priest. The priest dies. You try to escape the asylum. You enter an ice cave. You become a ghost. You die. The ghost lives and kills everyone.

The game is fun and gets you on your toes at times but the story just makes no sense, the game is also very short, takes less than a day to beat it. $20 is a justified price I think.

8/10: its fun and will make you pounce for sure.but story is lacking. cool game mechanics like holding a camera with a 2.4 aperture which makes for very shallow depth of field. the characters are not so scary, I wouldnt say the game is entirely scary or psychological scare like some famous horror games but it is a ton better than crap like amnesia or any other horror game thats come out within the past 5 years.
  53. Sep 5, 2013
    The game is not bad, is actually pretty enjoyable sometimes....
    The scariest thing about the game are not the monsters, or the jump scares, but the motion blur, which cannot be turned off (unless you turn off all the effects), but the game still looks great with all the effects at minimum......
    Fix the motion blur option please!
  54. Jan 3, 2014
    WOW! Just WOW! That game is the scariest I've ever played in almost 30 years of gaming history! Exceptionally well done, ambience is top notch, controls are responsive and tension is extreme! Very graphic though; it might not be for all tastes. If you enjoyed this great movie "Grave Encounters", this game is definitely for you.
  55. Sep 10, 2013
    Just finishes the game. well all I can say is I was scared almost completely through the whole game which is a pretty hard thing to do. So it was well worth the price of admission. My hat is off to the makes of this game.
  56. Sep 19, 2013
    The atmosphere in this game is amazing,so is the sound and the graphics are very well made, I have played about 2 hours and cant stop. Most horror games now are horrific... this is a very well made and has a lot of small details that add to the experience, you should buy this.
  57. Nov 5, 2013
    I got really big horror exp., that didn't have before. Really good realization of story and gameplay. Outlast has bugs, that don't allow me to make my mark 10/10. So, 9/10.
  58. Jan 2, 2014
    Outlast is a polished experience. It's a great scare and it does what its job quite nice. It's just that it's job is not quite stretched for a full fledged game. It's a rollercoaster in a lunatic asylum. It has good visuals, great sound (and music) and some pretty basic stealth gameplay. That's it. The story is a mess (there isn't one), as it doesn't develop at all and beside the "hide in the corner, wait for him to turn his back, now go" there is no gameplay at all. It reminds a bit of Mirror's Edge without the cool moves or level design. It lasts about five hours and at about 2 hours in you will see the limitations of the enemies, so the fear effect won't affect you any more.

It's great for some good scares, it has some great baddies and it creates pure tension, but it's hollow. You'll do the "collect 3 stuff" or "flip 2 switches" 5 or 6 times and that's the game. I must say I was hyped for this game but utlimately I can't help but feel disappointed. I expected at least a better story development and some puzzles. There are none. Nevertheless, it's got a ton of jumpscares and it's great if you want to use it for that. I disliked the battery searching, it didn't feel "survival genre" at all. It felt survival when I was being chased.

At least the checkpoints are good and the polish level is unexpected for this type of (indie) game. The night vision effect looks suberb and everything looks and sounds as it should.

It is scary, it has atmosphere, but it doesn't qualify as a full game. It just feels hollow.
  59. Oct 11, 2013
    Its a great game never played a game so intense. You really feel scared and i couldnt play it for a long time without taking a break. They did a real good job. So if you like horror survival games like Amnesia and want to experience something new you should get this game. Unfortunately i read a spoiler on IGN and that ruined the ending for me. Shame on you IGN for not removing it! But nevertheless like many others i didnt like it much anyway. Also for the sequel a little more challenge and variation. Expand
  60. Sep 10, 2013
    Amazing Game. beautiful Graphics, really nice sounds effects, great storyline. Outlast is one of the greatests Survivor Horror game in this generation, little problems with artificial intelligence of enemies. But definitely this game must be played
  61. Dec 25, 2013
    This is such a great game, but I have two problems. Firstly, I found the variety of missions very boring as I found myself finding for example: 3 fuses for a fuse box COUNTLESS times and it annoyed me. Secondly, I just found the platforming horrible. On a good note, this is a beautiful game and had me on the edge of my seat throughout. Definitely worth the price of admission.
  62. Sep 4, 2013
    1st of all this game is a mood game, atmospheric game, with tensions and it is also paranoia inducing.
    I have played countless of these games myself, from the very 1st Resident Evil & Silent Hill on PS1 back then, Fatal Frame series, then Dead Space, Amnesia, Scratches etc etc...the list is a long one.
    Outlast is a masterpiece in what it tries to achieve, which is: primal fears,
    paranoia, and giving you the feeling that you're alone, even if in a way you're not...
    The storyline is quite creepy, and twisted as well, based on different historical facts, being real or not is not really important, as if it would be real, i wouldn't want to know about it...seriously. Some things are better kept hidden and secret. Conclusion, Outlast isn't a game for you to play at noon, with sun and bright lights through your window and little birds...If you do that, you'll ruin the whole mood. Instead, play it late at night, close all the lights and put your headset on, or pump up the volume of your speakers...Then play...
    Come back here later, and i tell me it wasn't scary...You won't
  63. Jun 7, 2014
    This is one of the best horror games I have played. Mind you, it is more like a walk (or run) through a haunted house than a game. There are no puzzles elements other than hunting for camcorder batteries, crawlspaces to squeeze through, or various objects like key cards and fuses to get you on your way. There is no combat. All you can do is run and hide.
    I have been bored by other
    games in the genre with little to do but explore in the dark (Amnesia x2, Among the Sleep, Year Walk, Gone Home).
    Something is different about Outlast. The atmosphere. The sound design. The Lighting. It is just a great creepy experience. The characters themselves don't have the best graphics and animation, but look at the original Silent Hill. People eat that up and the graphics are horrible by today's standards. Outlast sets a mood and keeps it going.
    Sure you can play it on easy and take a lot of hits and just run through the whole thing. The check points are not far apart, so nobody is going to be frustrated by having to replay long passages. But if you are as careful and possible and play with an "I don't want to die" attitude, you will run for your life and your heart will pound as you hope you chose the right bed under which to hide.
    For a $20 indie game it is excellent. It is long enough to get to play through a few different environments with a few novel twist to the formula, but it isn't so long that it gets too repetitive and tedious.
    It is more like watching a movie than playing a video game. It reminds me of the final scene of The Shinning when Danny is running for his life from Jack, except you are Danny and you are running and hiding for your life. I don't think a game has ever gotten me so wound up that I can't play it anywhere near bedtime. It has been a long time since a game did that, as some of the Dead Space and Silent Hill games did.
  64. Dec 12, 2013
    I don't have a lot of experience with these survival horrors and it's not usually the sort of game I would bother with. Gameplay was satisfying despite not being able to shoot/kill anything or anyone and while it was scary it parts, you get the feeling that it could have been executed a lot better because you kind of know when something scary is about to happen too predictable.
    A major
    issue for me was performance. It don't see why it needed to eat so many frames, it didn't look that amazing to me. Expand
  65. Sep 8, 2013
    Exactly what I wanted from the game. Its not your pants scary, but the atmosphere and setting do a good job of maintaining a creepy vibe throughout the whole game (which is only about 4-5 hours btw). The game does a little repetitive by the end but that should not stop anyone from experiencing this amazing game.
  66. Dec 7, 2013
    Best horror game around. The map is huge, and the graphics are great. Hiding, sprinting, crouching, jumping, sliding, etc. are all flawless and make for great evasions. The scares did wear off a little bit near the end. I actually didn't like the ending. You never know what will happen next. Get Outlast!
  67. Dec 12, 2013
    While I didn't find it to be as scary/special as some claimed it to be, I found the game to be pretty good. The biggest let down is that it felt very predictable and it was a short game. As Red Barrels' first game however this is a good start, and I hope they can learn from this and create something that is several steps ahead of Outlast. If you haven't tried it, I say give the game a go. It's not that expensive. Expand
  68. May 10, 2014
    Outlast is one of the horror games that'll leave you on the edge of your seats as you frantically try to escape and hide from your pursuers.

Some commendable aspects of Outlast is its phenomenal sound engine and atmospherically well-detailed environment.

Unfortunately, the game has some "problems" in many areas and one of them is its duration. My experience on the 'Normal' difficulty
    lasted for about 6 hours, and that can be quite dettering for people who are interested to pick this up (Price as of right now is 19.99 w/o any discounts).

Another "problem" is its horrible, asinine and abrupt ending...

Definitely worth picking up during a sale any time, any day. Awesome horror game!
  69. Sep 5, 2013
    As a hard core gamer and horror writer/fanatic, I can pleasantly say that "Outlast" combines the best of both worlds into one experience like no other. Trying to hide from a lunatic underneath a bed while you can see or hear his feet shuffling across the room is incredibly breathtaking, and sneaking past any threat feels satisfying. You automatically grad onto corners while standing next to them en you can actually vault over objects and see your own feet, giving you the feeling you're not just a floating head but an actual, volnurable person. The best horror experience in years. Expand
  70. May 13, 2014
    Absolutely the best horror game in a moment. The story is interesting and the jump-scares are not too scary. Survival feeling makes this game special and surprising. The best horror game in the moment but still 7/10. Only the story mode makes the game too small.
  71. Sep 13, 2013
    INTENSE. this is the best word to describe outlast. Yes it's pretty scary but not as much as its intense. The grim creepy asylum is unsettling and the sound design keeps your nerves on edge. When you are getting chased you want to run! Run like hell because this game will immerse you. Best played with headphones in the dark for the best experience. I haven't played a game this nerves racking since the school in fear 2! The graphics are good and the enemies look creepy enough. The game can be hard at times forcing you to make quick decisions such as the aforementioned running and hiding from lunatics. The ai is good for the most part able to chase you down if you're not quick enough and they can and will pull you out of your hiding spot. The game is pretty scary with some nice jump scares here and there but it could have been way scarier. As I said the sound design and environment is fantastic and really helps the scare factor. Overall I recommend this game if you are a fan of horror games or liked to be scared because this game is indeed scary at times and being chased in this horrorifying asylum will definitely get your blood pumping. 8.7/10 Expand
  72. Jun 16, 2014
    I often forgot this was a game. Outlast does such an amazing job of creating these unique identities for the handful of psychos stalking you in the asylum that it created this sense of realism I have not found in a game in a long time.
    I dodged this game for months thinking it would just be full of cheap jump scares, but it is not. It has a very detailed world to explore and a very solid
    story to unravel.
    It became apparent at some point that the developers were afraid the game was turning out to be too short and started stretching out the gameplay. This stretched gameplay is not bad quality, but serves to add a lot of question marks to your thought pattern when you reach them.
    My only real complaint would be the rare but over-used character models for the more common variants. Occasionally, I would come across a character that I would think was someone I had already encountered before, only to find out it was just another NPC using the same model, which would remind me that this is only a game quickly.
    Overall, this game scared its way into my favorite games list. Watching my little cousin jump so much during the first five minutes that I thought he was going to damage my system was worth the base price alone. I was sad to read that Whistleblower concludes the story.
  73. Nov 17, 2013
    Nice game with great atmosphere of fear. For many players it would be really terrifying. But it really lacks some puzzles, just go there and do than with no getting killed. So gameplay gets really repetitive and boring after some play time. And the ending really lacks something. It is a bit Good game, but it could be better,
  74. Sep 7, 2013
    The visuals of this game are good and the camera gimmick works well enough. The gameplay is very simple. You do a lot of running around, climb, collect journal entries and batteries for your camera. The problem of Outlast is that it isn't scary enough and that it relies heavily on jump-scares. The Asylum as a place is quite boring and the plot of the game is your basic horror schlock. Not a single original idea in this department. Overall,a very mixed experience. Expand
  75. Sep 6, 2013
    Not gonna lie, this game is scary!! It has great atmosphere with some unique graphics and I really enjoyed the camera gimmick. Only reason it didn't get a 10 is because it was pretty short and has low replayability. But you can't go wrong with the $20 price.
  76. Sep 5, 2013
    If you don't set up your environment to immerse yourself in this game, than you are better off not playing it because that's the most critical point of horror games. I highly recommend you to play this game in dark and with headphones (surround sound support if you have it). Make sure you have the volume turned up and the gamma turned down. You will get a lot more out of the game than "cheap" jump scares. Now to review the actual game. The sounds are phenomenal, graphic is great, and the atmosphere is fantastic. The story is crazy but in a good way. I would love to see this game modded for custom stories like Amnesia. Expand
  77. Sep 8, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Great and very scary game! If you like updated graphics, set in modern year, great jumpscares, great sound effects, epic nice gameplay..Nothing bad in game, but it is bit short game.
    Pros:
    Very scary game, graphics, sound effects, gameplay, no combat, nice story
    Cons:
    Bit short game, repetitious bosses...

Total: 9 score. Its nice game and worth the money.
  78. Oct 20, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'll admit, it might not be every gamer's cup of tea, but Outlast is a very fun and terrifying game, if that's your thing. Especially if you want a more retro, classic experience, with the updated looks of a current generation game. It gets a check in each box.

Concept: Taking a few cues from classic horror titles, as well as from movies such as Rec. and V.H.S, Outlast proves to be a terrifying and adrenaline inducing experience on the whole.

Graphics: The environments, while very similar in most parts, all look pretty good, and match with the mood. The characters, however, are pretty much all hairless, buffed up miscreants and murderers. But that's alright, because you're probably going to be too busy running anyway, rather than engrossed in the "beautiful" animations of an inmate ripping your guts out of your throat.

Sound: There isn't a score so much as there is a chaotic blend of high pitched whining, low moaning, distant- and close screams, terrible grating noises, thunderous crashes, and meaty chomping and slicing or flesh. It's horrifically engrossing, but if you're playing at night, I'd recommend going with the volume off. It's scary enough without it.

Playability: There aren't really any controls to complain about, seeing as how there are essentially only three anyway- pulling up and putting away your camcorder, running or walking (mostly running), and occasionally hopping low barriers with monsters in pursuit.

Entertainment: I hope you like atmospheric scarefests, because you've just paid for one if you purchased this game. Oh, your friend told you it was a platforming game for kids? How mistaken you were in trusting him...

Replay Value: Moderate.

Overall Score: 8.5
  79. Sep 21, 2013
    I just finished this game, It was an amazing experience with an awesome atmosphere for every moment. It had plenty of moments which scared the crap out of me but it was too much fun to stop playing. Easily one of the best horror games around. Thank you Red Barrels Games for making this experience possible and I hope for many more games from this company.
  80. Jan 6, 2014
    Outlast is arguably the best horror game ever! It will scare the crap out of you from beginning to end. The stealth gameplay gives the player a spine-chilling experience and the jump scares are well executed. Also, the atmosphere of Mount Massive Asylum makes you feel that the place is alive and terrifying. But unfortunately, the game's plot is a big letdown especially the ending. It's confusing and it left me unsatisfied. On the bright side, Red Barrels proved that the survival horror genre is still alive. Outlast is must play game for huge horror fans but not for the faint of heart. Expand
  81. Oct 25, 2013
    The scariest horror game i've ever played. Seriously, I do not know of a single horror game that's this scary. (and yes i've played Amnesia and Slender, Slender is terrible.)
  82. Sep 6, 2013
    The ambient sound and Environment really does make this game stand out on it's own but the horror starts to disappear after the first hour. Graphics are nice as well.
  83. Sep 11, 2013
    This was probably one of the best horror games I've played in a while. The game makes a very good first impression, creating a scary atmosphere when you first enter the asylum. You play as a news reporter, who got a fax telling you about illegal activities occurring in an Asylum in the mountains and that you need to expose it to public media. Being the brave journalist you are, you decide to investigate.

Gameplay is pretty good, there are some survival elements in the game. You basically have a camcorder with you which you use to record everything thats happening within the asylum. In dark areas you have to use the night vision in order to see, which drains your battery rapidly thus you have to often scavenge around for spare batteries in order to see in the dark.

What I really liked about this game is the 1st person experience it offers. It has 1st person full body awareness which is amazing! Whenever you open a door or pick up an object, an animation will occur! When you lean on a wall or peak, you will place your hand on the wall. The little things in this game!

This game had a few good jump scares, where it caused me to move my mouse around rapidly because of the scare. The game has a very scary atmosphere as well, you don't know whats going to happen in the next minute and there were a few times that i paused the game and quit because of how scared the game has made me.

The game does unfortunately get a little repetitive at the end. Instead of enjoying it you end up just wanting to finish the game and get it over with. What saved this game from being completely boring is the well told story. In the game you have to find certain documents that will explain to you what experiments occurred here and the subjects they had and what the results were. The ending was a bit bland, leaving a lot of loose ends for me, but it wasn't too bad.

Overall this game is excellent, it does what a horror game should do. Highly recommended
  84. Sep 11, 2013
    Best Horrorgame, that I've played in a long time. It takes everything Amnesia Dark Descent made right and expands it to the better. The night-vision of the camera looks unbelievable real and the story is so deep and sometimes also ugly (good ugly ).
    This game is worth buying!
  85. Sep 8, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Outlast is okay so far, I had fun with it.
    The atmosphere and the story are good, but in my opinion it isn't really scary, I had no "jumpscares" or so.
    I think 6/10 is fair enough.
  86. Sep 15, 2013
    Finally a good horror game. This game comes with a lot of good executed scares. The graphics and atmosphere is amazing. I did find the game a little repetetive at times and the game was a little short, but other than that it's an awesome title.
  87. Nov 21, 2013
    Awesome, scary and refreshing game. Finally a great horror game worth playing again. Hopefully the developers continue the franchise to bring out even better/scarier sequels or prequels.

Red Barrel Games, you guys are awesome! Keep up the good work and continue making terrifying games. :-)

PS. The next installment could be a little more original/inspiring. That's the only critique I
    can find for Outlast. Expand
  88. Dec 6, 2013
    First of all. GREAT! All i could ever want of this game would be MORE. This is a psychological horror, burying deep down into your mind and F*cks with it. Roughly.
    There are 3 things that makes a game great.

1. Gameplay. Is the gameplay easy to control? is it easy maneuvering in the world? Yes. everything feels smooth, and fluid. this also includes possibilities and interactivity.
    atmosphere is also included here. Outlast nails all of them.

2. Plot. Is it a good story? Do you WANT to complete the objectives? What motivates you? well, yes. first, i felt pretty drawn forward by the fact that i was scared sh!tless. And also, you develop a personal hate to the bossing psychopaths in the asylum. So killing them brutally becomes the extreme wish. this is where the game wins.

3. Engine. Graphics, sounds, animations. 4-5 here. but for the price, i'm not disappointed.

First, play amnesia. Then play this. you'll love it if you loved amnesia. i'd even prefer this over amnesia

Best horror game. EVER.
  89. Sep 5, 2013
    If you liked Amnesia, this is for you! For me it is the scariest game i have ever played, but for sure you have to play it with your Headphones on and lights turned off, if you really want to slip deeper into the atmosphere. However, be warned I had to stop playing and pause at some points, because it´s so freaking scary and that is really no joke! I´m also playing with Nvidia 3D Vision (helix just added a fix at the geforce forums)... playing this game in 3D is absolutely stunning. Expand
  90. Jan 3, 2014
    Outlast will be remembered as the scariest game of the generation, that redefines the horror genre that was desperately in need of a tune up. Never have I been so scared in a game before, horror fans are in for a treat. I love the gaming mechanics, graphics, music and jump scares that truly make your heart stop pumping. The most fun is found here when skyping and friend while playing and pissing yourself at there reactions. Definitely worth your time and money, what another excellent indie game of 2013. Expand
  91. Sep 24, 2013
    Didn't actually play it; watched Pewdiepie's playthrough.
    Even so, really enjoyed the gameplay and the end was pretty satisfactory. Interesting stuff, recommend you get it if you're not scared easily (or if you are).
  92. Feb 5, 2014
    This game was a total waste of money for me. I expected a different, though still fine tuned atmosphere in concert with the music as Amnesia The Dark Descent. I was thoroughly disappointed. This game is made of cheap scares to the fullest. Being set in an Asylum is already far from original for a terror game. The same plot than so many games about a uber evil corporation doing experiments blah you know the drill. Almost ALL scares I had where predicted before hand: "Oh this door is closed, I bet there will be a 5000db sound that will scare me to death." Every every time it happened. Seriously go buy Amnesia the dark descent instead of this veteran-made mainstream unoriginal terror game. Expand
  93. Oct 19, 2013
    I'm giving this game a 10 on the scare factor alone. The sound and graphics are on par with many triple AAA games. I have been playing the first hour of this game alone in a pitch black room with headphones and a Xbox controller. It's probably the most scared I have ever felt.

I can't play this game in a dark room by myself for more then 10 minutes at a time. Even though I feel scared
    and afraid there is a immense feeling of adrenaline and excitement that I get from playing the game. There are so many other games that try to get that feeling and fail. The way the levels are designed make the player afraid that every corner you turn and every door you open holds a surprise or something even more disturbing. The story feels like it could be based in real life and the documents you find add even more depth and detail to the background of the asylum. I have played games like F.E.A.R, Resident Evil, Dead Space 1 and 2 and I watch Walking Dead and this game blows all of those out of the water. Expand
  94. Sep 4, 2013
    Absolutely my favorite horror game to date. I felt the immersion within the first 10 minutes of game play. The best time to play is after nightfall. Lights off and undisturbed. Turn up the AC for a chilly room. Then blast the surround sound. You will not be disappointed.
  95. Sep 11, 2013
    I think this game is slightly overrated. Here's why: 1) There is a fundamental problem with the mechanics of the game that lead it to be overly boring and repetitive. The problem stems from the fact that you cannot attack enemies and thus don't need to regulate health, stamina, ammo, etc. All you can do is hide. It's ridiculous that I can't fight back when some scrawny guy missing his skin is beating me to death. 2) because of (1) above, you tend to get your ass kicked over and over until you've memorized a map and this is both frustrating and not scary when you get killed for the 20th time by the same wimp 3) the puzzles tend to emphasize knowing the map (collect X of some item) which relates back to (1) and (2) and finally 4) the story isn't really all that interesting or subtle. It's your typical sort of Resident Evil Operation Racoon stuff that's been done to death. Otherwise the game is OK. The graphics, sound effects, and general ambiance of the level design and atmosphere are top notch and this is why I give it 7/10. Expand
  96. Oct 24, 2013
    This is perhaps the most frightening and horror experience I lived in a game. The graphics are very realistic, almost photorealistic, full of gore and images which mark and which remain imprinted on the brain after a long period out of the game.
    The sound is great and contributes enormously to create frightening atmosphere.
    I can not describe in words how grotesque are some sets, and
    times when you're being chased by a guy definitely will raise the pulse of any normal person alarming.
    This game is a must for any horror enthusiast who thinks he has seen everything in this genre
  97. Sep 20, 2013
    I actually really liked this game, it makes you dig for the back-story and can be a little repetitive but it's not that terrible. I though the controls were great and it had a little bit of creepy lore. The visuals were amazing, as well as the graphics, especially for an indie game. Red Barrels did an amazing job and gave us, well my favorite indie horror game since Amnesia: The Dark Descent, and I don't see why some people didn't like it. Well no I take that back, the game might just not be for some people, but I think most people underrate the game very badly and for an indie game it looks, plays and controls great and has a very creepy atmosphere. You will also need patience to play this game because it can be slow paced at times and I think people lack that along with no combat, I can see why some cough *COD* type player might not like it. Expand
  98. Oct 30, 2013
    Best horror game since Amnesia The Dark Descent. Towards the end, it looses its pace but its still a great game. Short, dark and frightening. This game will really test your nerves.
  99. Dec 13, 2013
    Simply the most frightening game I've ever played. It presents a shockingly well polished game for a budget title price, and has become my favorite surprise hit of 2013. Outlast masters both the art of pop out scares and a slow burn tense atmosphere, made much more compelling by music that reacts to the situation and dozens of small touches like seeing your hands as you clutch to the edge of a corridor to peek around the next hallway or the heavy ragged breathing of the player's character exerted from fleeing for his life but desperately trying to keep quiet in his hiding place to escape the horrors chasing him. Also effective in building the tension is that the player's only way to see in the dark is through the night vision of the camera... which gives the world a very limited distance green/black view and also will quickly drain the batteries. You force yourself to creep through darkness and use up every bit of electricity from each set of batteries even though your vision is failing just to save those precious batteries for when you can't make it without them. As the song by Radiohead goes "You do it to yourself, you do, and that's what really hurts (or in this case, scares!)"

It's not a long game, the designers seem to know better than to wear out their welcome and at 8 hours of play time I feel I've more than gotten my money's worth for a lifetime memorable experience. Thankfully I'm old and moved out because I'd owe my mother's "swear jar" a sock full of nickles for the outbursts I've had while fleeing in this game. Highly recommended for anyone who enjoys a good scary story.
  100. Sep 14, 2013
    A game with some promising aspects but ultimately a letdown. Visually it's quite nice, but the graphics don't make up for the setting and plot being a trite amalgamation of a bunch of other mediocre horror movies and games. The puzzles are all terrible and consist solely of avoiding a single enemy while searching for pipes or levers, and though it does have some genuinely scary moments, the game is too reliant on jump scares to be truly terrifying. Expand

1. Feb 21, 2014
    A game that is not as innovative as you would hope. It is very old school. Nevertheless, this is a real horror-game and we can guarantee that you will freak out. It may be old school, but it is still a very good game that will blow you away.
  2. Dec 5, 2013
    This is probably the most horrifying experience in videogames, ever!
  3. Oct 31, 2013
    On one side, you have linear gameplay, at times simplistic game design and plenty of clichés. On the other – an exciting opportunity to star in a very cool horror ‘movie’.