8.4

1. Jan 7, 2014
    I never felt so helpless and scared while playing the game. Also I had never gotten such strong emotions (mostly fear) from the video game. This game is highly recommended if you want to try something new, and if you have enough balls...
  2. Sep 15, 2013
    Was not expecting such a polished and scary experience! The environments definitely set the mood and and all the effects are on point! Had to turn it off after an hour because I was getting really anxious.
  3. May 9, 2014
    An achievement in horror. Tops a lot of what passes off as horror these days (with the exception of the original Dead Space). Incredible setting and characters. You become immersed in the world. I can't wait to play games like this on the oculus rift..imagine that. Red Barrels knows horror. You think Saw, Amnesia, Bioshock Infinite were scary? Play this with the lights off and theAn achievement in horror. Tops a lot of what passes off as horror these days (with the exception of the original Dead Space). Incredible setting and characters. You become immersed in the world. I can't wait to play games like this on the oculus rift..imagine that. Red Barrels knows horror. You think Saw, Amnesia, Bioshock Infinite were scary? Play this with the lights off and the headphones turned up. Highly Recommended. Can't wait to see what else they cook up. Would be cool if we could get a physical edition of this and the dlc someday. Expand
  4. Sep 26, 2014
    Outlast is nightmare fuel in the tradition of Hellraiser or Silent Hill. The player alternates between sneaking past adversaries and panicked escape. Many jump-shock-horror moments.
  5. Sep 30, 2013
    Uno de los juegos que en mas tensión me ha tenido. Es increíble la forma en la que te mantiene pendiente de lo que ocurre, los alrededores EL SONIDO, el ambiente en si con todas sus aspectos gores que no hacen mas que aumentar la inmersión con la zona y su protagonista. MUY RECOMENDADOS PARA LOS AMANTES DEL TERROR Y EL HORROR.
  6. Sep 6, 2013
    The best horror survival game in the genre. The atmosphere is utterly terrifying and very immersive. Audio and visuals are top notch and very impressive not just for an Indy game, but in general. This is an absolute must play for those who are into the horror genre.
  7. Nov 4, 2013
    Such a good game, and it really is terrifying. It's sort of like Amnesia, but with better graphics, and a bit more gruesome when it comes to the gore. I tried playing it lights off with headphones, and let me just say I jumped more times than I care to admit. It really has an interesting story that weaves a really terrifying narrative together. I found myself glued to my screen, which ISuch a good game, and it really is terrifying. It's sort of like Amnesia, but with better graphics, and a bit more gruesome when it comes to the gore. I tried playing it lights off with headphones, and let me just say I jumped more times than I care to admit. It really has an interesting story that weaves a really terrifying narrative together. I found myself glued to my screen, which I felt torn about because on the flip-side of being a great story, it was also terrifying and I did have to take breaks because it was so tense.

TLDR: Great story, truly terrifying, and has a fit and finish that is really great. The graphics are top notch, and it's truly a must have if you're a fan of horror games like Dead Space 1 and the Amnesia series.
  8. Feb 14, 2014
    Totally awesome atmosphere. I am a bit of a fan of the found footage horror genre, and this game is as close as it gets to being the camera person. I haven't had a video game make my heart race in a long time, and this game will scare the crap out of you, lights on, middle of the day, other people in the house. only play at night, lights out and home alone if you enjoy using your underwearTotally awesome atmosphere. I am a bit of a fan of the found footage horror genre, and this game is as close as it gets to being the camera person. I haven't had a video game make my heart race in a long time, and this game will scare the crap out of you, lights on, middle of the day, other people in the house. only play at night, lights out and home alone if you enjoy using your underwear as a diaper. Expand
  9. Sep 8, 2013
    One of the best horror game I played. Great story, great graphics, perfect atmosphere. Pure pleasure for all senses! Complete horror experience, from the beginning to the end. Buy this game and support developers. I hope they will work on Outlast 2, because this game has outstanding potential to become even better than Amnesia series.
  10. Oct 10, 2013
    grew up in the 80s and was raised up on horror movies. loved the first silent hill and any other game that scare the beegies outta me. this game has scared the beegies outta me. fantastic graphics, wonderful wonderful controls, great atmosphere and fantastic writing and voicing. this game has wowed me and impressed me in not only the fear i have playing it but the quality of the game as well.
  11. Sep 5, 2013
    This is a superman game. You play superman, but not as superman but as Clark Kent, the reporter. Your job is to acquire the best damn footage possible. The targets of your hunt are not very camera friendly and will all try to kill you, but it's k.
  12. Sep 6, 2013
    I was skeptical when starting to play. I've played a lot of horror-type games and often remain unfazed. This is one of the few games that has successfully immersed me into the game and caused me to jump and my heart to skip a few beats. Well done.
  13. Sep 6, 2013
    From an early age i have been watching tons of scary movies and played a lot of scary games. I guess i tempered my sense of horror and dont get scared that easily anymore. The only game i have been scared playing is Amnesia.. until now. This game is so scary that i cant play it! By reaction i press escape and find my self having a hard time getting back to the game. The camcorders nightFrom an early age i have been watching tons of scary movies and played a lot of scary games. I guess i tempered my sense of horror and dont get scared that easily anymore. The only game i have been scared playing is Amnesia.. until now. This game is so scary that i cant play it! By reaction i press escape and find my self having a hard time getting back to the game. The camcorders night vision mode makes the atmosphere and the fact that you dont have any weapons to defend yourself makes it even more scary. The controls are good. Easy flow and i like that I can look back while running to make sure no one is following. Buy this game and a pair of undies) Expand
  14. Apr 7, 2014
    Here I am a grown man and this game scared the living bejesus out of me. Wowzers. If you like horror video games you're going to like it. I had to sometimes stop playing at night because I was so scared.
  15. Sep 7, 2013
    Just bought it and played atleast half an hour into it.. I think i can definitely say, the game is about as good as a penumbra or dead space, if better. its got the horror si-fi taste in it witch makes it beautiful. I very highly recommend children under 18 to not play this, it will scare the heck out of young ones. Lots of blood and gore and very heavily horror scenes.. Great game though,Just bought it and played atleast half an hour into it.. I think i can definitely say, the game is about as good as a penumbra or dead space, if better. its got the horror si-fi taste in it witch makes it beautiful. I very highly recommend children under 18 to not play this, it will scare the heck out of young ones. Lots of blood and gore and very heavily horror scenes.. Great game though, great game. Expand
  16. Sep 14, 2013
    If you are ever constipated just play this game, kidding, but with joking aside it was a really horrifying game. I was only able to play it for an hour at a time cause I would get so stressed and freaked out. The atmosphere is perfect, voice acting is perfect...everything about the game is perfect. Without giving away the ending, I will say that it was the perfect ending and a good twist.If you are ever constipated just play this game, kidding, but with joking aside it was a really horrifying game. I was only able to play it for an hour at a time cause I would get so stressed and freaked out. The atmosphere is perfect, voice acting is perfect...everything about the game is perfect. Without giving away the ending, I will say that it was the perfect ending and a good twist. The only problem I have with the game is that I wish it was much longer., but that is such a minor complaint that I don't think it should effect it's overall score. If you like horror games then definitely go and buy this, worth every penny. Expand
  17. Jan 3, 2014
    WOW! Just WOW! That game is the scariest I've ever played in almost 30 years of gaming history! Exceptionally well done, ambience is top notch, controls are responsive and tension is extreme! Very graphic though; it might not be for all tastes. If you enjoyed this great movie "Grave Encounters", this game is definitely for you.
  18. Sep 10, 2013
    Just finishes the game. well all I can say is I was scared almost completely through the whole game which is a pretty hard thing to do. So it was well worth the price of admission. My hat is off to the makes of this game.
  19. Sep 19, 2013
    The atmosphere in this game is amazing,so is the sound and the graphics are very well made, I have played about 2 hours and cant stop. Most horror games now are horrific... this is a very well made and has a lot of small details that add to the experience, you should buy this.
  20. Sep 10, 2013
    Amazing Game. beautiful Graphics, really nice sounds effects, great storyline. Outlast is one of the greatests Survivor Horror game in this generation, little problems with artificial intelligence of enemies. But definitely this game must be played
  21. Sep 4, 2013
    1st of all this game is a mood game, atmospheric game, with tensions and it is also paranoia inducing.
    I have played countless of these games myself, from the very 1st Resident Evil & Silent Hill on PS1 back then, Fatal Frame series, then Dead Space, Amnesia, Scratches etc etc...the list is a long one.
    Outlast is a masterpiece in what it tries to achieve, which is: primal fears,
    Outlast is a masterpiece in what it tries to achieve, which is: primal fears, paranoia, and giving you the feeling that you're alone, even if in a way you're not...
    The storyline is quite creepy, and twisted as well, based on different historical facts, being real or not is not really important, as if it would be real, i wouldn't want to know about it...seriously. Some things are better kept hidden and secret. Conclusion, Outlast isn't a game for you to play at noon, with sun and bright lights through your window and little birds...If you do that, you'll ruin the whole mood. Instead, play it late at night, close all the lights and put your headset on, or pump up the volume of your speakers...Then play...
    Come back here later, and i tell me it wasn't scary...You won't
  22. Sep 8, 2013
    Exactly what I wanted from the game. Its not your pants scary, but the atmosphere and setting do a good job of maintaining a creepy vibe throughout the whole game (which is only about 4-5 hours btw). The game does a little repetitive by the end but that should not stop anyone from experiencing this amazing game.
  23. Dec 7, 2013
    Best horror game around. The map is huge, and the graphics are great. Hiding, sprinting, crouching, jumping, sliding, etc. are all flawless and make for great evasions. The scares did wear off a little bit near the end. I actually didn't like the ending. You never know what will happen next. Get Outlast!
  24. Sep 5, 2013
    As a hard core gamer and horror writer/fanatic, I can pleasantly say that "Outlast" combines the best of both worlds into one experience like no other. Trying to hide from a lunatic underneath a bed while you can see or hear his feet shuffling across the room is incredibly breathtaking, and sneaking past any threat feels satisfying. You automatically grad onto corners while standing nextAs a hard core gamer and horror writer/fanatic, I can pleasantly say that "Outlast" combines the best of both worlds into one experience like no other. Trying to hide from a lunatic underneath a bed while you can see or hear his feet shuffling across the room is incredibly breathtaking, and sneaking past any threat feels satisfying. You automatically grad onto corners while standing next to them en you can actually vault over objects and see your own feet, giving you the feeling you're not just a floating head but an actual, volnurable person. The best horror experience in years. Expand
  25. Sep 5, 2013
    If you don't set up your environment to immerse yourself in this game, than you are better off not playing it because that's the most critical point of horror games. I highly recommend you to play this game in dark and with headphones (surround sound support if you have it). Make sure you have the volume turned up and the gamma turned down. You will get a lot more out of the game thanIf you don't set up your environment to immerse yourself in this game, than you are better off not playing it because that's the most critical point of horror games. I highly recommend you to play this game in dark and with headphones (surround sound support if you have it). Make sure you have the volume turned up and the gamma turned down. You will get a lot more out of the game than "cheap" jump scares. Now to review the actual game. The sounds are phenomenal, graphic is great, and the atmosphere is fantastic. The story is crazy but in a good way. I would love to see this game modded for custom stories like Amnesia. Expand
  26. Sep 21, 2013
    I just finished this game, It was an amazing experience with an awesome atmosphere for every moment. It had plenty of moments which scared the crap out of me but it was too much fun to stop playing. Easily one of the best horror games around. Thank you Red Barrels Games for making this experience possible and I hope for many more games from this company.
  27. Sep 11, 2013
    Best Horrorgame, that I've played in a long time. It takes everything Amnesia Dark Descent made right and expands it to the better. The night-vision of the camera looks unbelievable real and the story is so deep and sometimes also ugly (good ugly ).
    This game is worth buying!
  28. Dec 6, 2013
    First of all. GREAT! All i could ever want of this game would be MORE. This is a psychological horror, burying deep down into your mind and F*cks with it. Roughly.
    There are 3 things that makes a game great.
    There are 3 things that makes a game great.

1. Gameplay. Is the gameplay easy to control? is it easy maneuvering in the world? Yes. everything feels smooth, and fluid. this also includes possibilities and interactivity. atmosphere is also included here. Outlast nails all of them.

2. Plot. Is it a good story? Do you WANT to complete the objectives? What motivates you? well, yes. first, i felt pretty drawn forward by the fact that i was scared sh!tless. And also, you develop a personal hate to the bossing psychopaths in the asylum. So killing them brutally becomes the extreme wish. this is where the game wins.

3. Engine. Graphics, sounds, animations. 4-5 here. but for the price, i'm not disappointed.

First, play amnesia. Then play this. you'll love it if you loved amnesia. i'd even prefer this over amnesia

Best horror game. EVER.
  29. Sep 24, 2013
    Didn't actually play it; watched Pewdiepie's playthrough.
    Even so, really enjoyed the gameplay and the end was pretty satisfactory. Interesting stuff, recommend you get it if you're not scared easily (or if you are).
  30. Oct 19, 2013
    I'm giving this game a 10 on the scare factor alone. The sound and graphics are on par with many triple AAA games. I have been playing the first hour of this game alone in a pitch black room with headphones and a Xbox controller. It's probably the most scared I have ever felt.

I can't play this game in a dark room by myself for more then 10 minutes at a time. Even though I feel scared and afraid there is a immense feeling of adrenaline and excitement that I get from playing the game. There are so many other games that try to get that feeling and fail. The way the levels are designed make the player afraid that every corner you turn and every door you open holds a surprise or something even more disturbing. The story feels like it could be based in real life and the documents you find add even more depth and detail to the background of the asylum. I have played games like F.E.A.R, Resident Evil, Dead Space 1 and 2 and I watch Walking Dead and this game blows all of those out of the water.
  31. Sep 4, 2013
    Absolutely my favorite horror game to date. I felt the immersion within the first 10 minutes of game play. The best time to play is after nightfall. Lights off and undisturbed. Turn up the AC for a chilly room. Then blast the surround sound. You will not be disappointed.
  32. Sep 20, 2013
    I actually really liked this game, it makes you dig for the back-story and can be a little repetitive but it's not that terrible. I though the controls were great and it had a little bit of creepy lore. The visuals were amazing, as well as the graphics, especially for an indie game. Red Barrels did an amazing job and gave us, well my favorite indie horror game since Amnesia: The DarkI actually really liked this game, it makes you dig for the back-story and can be a little repetitive but it's not that terrible. I though the controls were great and it had a little bit of creepy lore. The visuals were amazing, as well as the graphics, especially for an indie game. Red Barrels did an amazing job and gave us, well my favorite indie horror game since Amnesia: The Dark Descent, and I don't see why some people didn't like it. Well no I take that back, the game might just not be for some people, but I think most people underrate the game very badly and for an indie game it looks, plays and controls great and has a very creepy atmosphere. You will also need patience to play this game because it can be slow paced at times and I think people lack that along with no combat, I can see why some cough *COD* type player might not like it. Expand
  33. Dec 13, 2013
    Simply the most frightening game I've ever played. It presents a shockingly well polished game for a budget title price, and has become my favorite surprise hit of 2013. Outlast masters both the art of pop out scares and a slow burn tense atmosphere, made much more compelling by music that reacts to the situation and dozens of small touches like seeing your hands as you clutch to theSimply the most frightening game I've ever played. It presents a shockingly well polished game for a budget title price, and has become my favorite surprise hit of 2013. Outlast masters both the art of pop out scares and a slow burn tense atmosphere, made much more compelling by music that reacts to the situation and dozens of small touches like seeing your hands as you clutch to the edge of a corridor to peek around the next hallway or the heavy ragged breathing of the player's character exerted from fleeing for his life but desperately trying to keep quiet in his hiding place to escape the horrors chasing him. Also effective in building the tension is that the player's only way to see in the dark is through the night vision of the camera... which gives the world a very limited distance green/black view and also will quickly drain the batteries. You force yourself to creep through darkness and use up every bit of electricity from each set of batteries even though your vision is failing just to save those precious batteries for when you can't make it without them. As the song by Radiohead goes "You do it to yourself, you do, and that's what really hurts (or in this case, scares!)"

It's not a long game, the designers seem to know better than to wear out their welcome and at 8 hours of play time I feel I've more than gotten my money's worth for a lifetime memorable experience. Thankfully I'm old and moved out because I'd owe my mother's "swear jar" a sock full of nickles for the outbursts I've had while fleeing in this game. Highly recommended for anyone who enjoys a good scary story.
  34. Sep 5, 2013
    Probably the best horror game out there right now, maybe even better than Amnesia. I found this game more fast paced than Amnesia, creating an intense atmosphere with some really well-crafted jump scares.
    Recommended to all the horror fans. If you sh*t your pants easily, don't buy this.
  35. Sep 5, 2013
    I am gonna say this game is as good as Amnesia. It's very atmospheric and scary game and your heart bit all the time. You feel hunted and you don't have a time to just sit and take a rest. That's how the real survival horror looks like. If you feel bored playing Amnesia....you must play Outlast and you won't regret it.
  36. Sep 4, 2013
    Took a stab at this one having not viewed any playthroughs.
    A step up in the horror genre, and will keep you on the edge of the
    seat til the very end. Hopefully custom stories to come with this new
    visual mechanic.
  37. Sep 5, 2013
    Great story,stunning graphics and physics,good parkour ideas,really scary monsters and jumpscares,though some of them are really easy to glitch. Still awesome game Red Barrels! We want more updates,and after some time more games from you!Cheers!
  38. Sep 5, 2013
    Very scary game, better than amnesia.
  39. Sep 6, 2013
    Authors are extremely attentive to the details. Models, animations, textures, sounds, ambient and all other parts of the game are brilliant, developers did an amazing job! You can see you body during walking when looking down. When the character moves to the wall corner or doorway, he puts a hand onto it. He breathes heavily and sobs during scary moments. Music becomes intense in a severalAuthors are extremely attentive to the details. Models, animations, textures, sounds, ambient and all other parts of the game are brilliant, developers did an amazing job! You can see you body during walking when looking down. When the character moves to the wall corner or doorway, he puts a hand onto it. He breathes heavily and sobs during scary moments. Music becomes intense in a several seconds before the monster come to the room. Full and deep immersion and pure gameplay. 10 out of 10. Expand
  40. Sep 6, 2013
    Outlast surly is one of the best Horror Games ever released.

Thanks to developers like Red Barrels we can enjoy a game so well done like Outlast! it was from Start to the end a tense roller coaster cant wait for more
  41. Sep 7, 2013
    It's an awesome game, if you haven't played it yet, do it 4-5 hours of fun, Good jumpscares, nice graphics and awesome gameplay! Play it f*** the haters just play it!
  42. Sep 7, 2013
    Outlast is by far the best horror game I've ever played. The graphics are phenomenal, the gameplay is simple and fun, and the entire atmosphere of the game creeps you out. In about 4 hours I've had way more scares then I ever did with Amnesia; where I saw the monster and was just like "Oh. There's the monster. Bummer. Better go hide in a closet." On Outlast even when you hide the monstersOutlast is by far the best horror game I've ever played. The graphics are phenomenal, the gameplay is simple and fun, and the entire atmosphere of the game creeps you out. In about 4 hours I've had way more scares then I ever did with Amnesia; where I saw the monster and was just like "Oh. There's the monster. Bummer. Better go hide in a closet." On Outlast even when you hide the monsters will actually come and look for you (opening lockers, checking under beds, etc.) Overall it's just a really fun, really great game to play. Definitely recommend. Expand
  43. Sep 7, 2013
    What can I say? A beautiful, gorgeous I would say game! For such a game the graphics were astonishing and the engine extremely powerful. Not to mention the plot of course. The plot was brilliant! And what an ending! WOW. I was starring at the PC monitor! How much work and what detail. We had a lot of time to see a woth-playing horror game like this.

The negative scores were given due to

The negative scores were given due to Amnesia. A lot of gamers have surely played it and found it terrifying. We have also seen Markiplier, Pewdiepie, etc playing it so when this game was released the bad critics were bound to this. The hide and seek, jump scares and stuff were similar to that. I dont get it though. There is are hundreds of similarities between horror games. Let us not forget that this is why they're called horror games.

They other thing that botherd me were the bad-plot comments. Really? I mean yes at the beginning you already knew what was going to happen. The power's out let's go downstairs to fix it.... (Don't want to spoil the fun) My point is that you know what you're going to face from stage 1. Well...not exactly. I mean that you already know you're getting yourself into trouble. So, if you know what follows then dump the game dont play it. And don't dare, I mean it, dont dare write anything negative about the game if you have played 10 minutes of it.

Overall, it was a fantastic experience and it worths every penny. I would say 5-6 hours of gameplay or more I am not so sure. A wonderful experience and spooky till death. Sometimes you won't be able to see in the darkness and screaming sounds will make you helpless. You can't just simply close the game as it lures you into the story more and more so you become one with the poor journalist.

Buy this game!
  44. Sep 8, 2013
    This is the scariest game I've ever played!! And it's more dreadfully than any horror film! Play at night and in stereo headphones, then bedtime is provided to you long trek to the toilet)
  45. Sep 10, 2013
    This game...i love it. I only expected that Red Barrels make a new Outlast 2, or a similar game. This style is the most impactant horror that you can experiment. Only you, and your camera. Stamina, shadows, blood, hide... This is the only one terror game that engaged me until the desire of not to finish it. Im sad now... Red Barrels, PLEASE, make me happy again.
  46. Sep 11, 2013
    This game is awsome about ghrapics,horror story and more.This game is more better then I think.This is the best horror game in the world and the universe.
  47. Sep 20, 2013
    Truly one of the best psychological horror games ever made.

Storyline: Scary as it may be, I was quite confused with the story. The story produced so many possibilities that I did not know what I'm up against until the last quarter of the game. But all-in-all, the story was still good. All it needs is a little effort to understand. Quality/Appearance: Perfectly detailed to give a
    Truly one of the best psychological horror games ever made.

Quality/Appearance: Perfectly detailed to give a realistic and a horrifying atmosphere. There are two specific things that I would like to praise from Outlast. First, if something gets cut-offed, it remains cut-offed for the rest of the game. Second, unlike most FPS games, you can actually see your lower body if you look down! The great thing about Outlast is that it pays attention to the small details. Don't understand what I'm saying? Good because I don't like spoiling. Although I might have, just a little bit.

Music/Sounds: Orchestrated to effectively induce shivers and suspense. Like most horror games, if the music suddenly rises in tune or changes its mood, you would know that it's your cue to run. And you will definitely run.

Gameplay: Outstanding. Outlast is genuinely realistic to the point that the gameplay reminds you that the character you're playing is just a simple human being who happens to be caught in a horrible situation and just wants to escape. How? You're weak and you don't have the ability to fight mutilated mad men so you just hide and run. That's the most normal reaction you can get from a frightened person.

Horror score: A truck-full of WTFs, OMGs, and an encyclopedia of curses.. And 9 pairs of pants that has sh*t.

Conclusion: Kudos to the developers. Outlast is definitely one of the best games of 2013 and you'll definitely miss out if you don't play it.
  48. Sep 17, 2013
    oldukça iyi bir korku oyunu. son yıllarda oynadıklarımın en iyisi diyebilirim rahatça. her dakikası ürpermenize sebep olsada başından kalkamayacaksınız...
  49. Nov 5, 2013
  50. Sep 24, 2013
    Great horror game! Haven't found a game that actually made me scream or jump since Slender. I waited a long time for it and wasn't disappointed. Never know what to expect next. Unpredictable moments. Unique ability to look behind you while running. Makes you wonder when you'll ever need/want to do this. The graphics are beautiful and creepy at the same time. The frame-rate stays at aGreat horror game! Haven't found a game that actually made me scream or jump since Slender. I waited a long time for it and wasn't disappointed. Never know what to expect next. Unpredictable moments. Unique ability to look behind you while running. Makes you wonder when you'll ever need/want to do this. The graphics are beautiful and creepy at the same time. The frame-rate stays at a perfect 60, and that's with 2x SGSSAA enabled on a single GTX 660 Ti! Excellent optimization! The only gripe I have is that I can't record the game properly with any capture software. I'm having to use an iPod Touch to make my Let's Plays... blugh! A mini-gripe I had was that there's no option to disable motion blur, but that didn't stop me from digging around in config files to fix it. Outlast is truly an epic horror experience. Depending on your room lighting, headphones quality, chair comfort, etc. will depend on the scare intensity, I've had the lights on and screamed plenty of times! I love it! Expand
  51. Sep 28, 2013
    I am going to say two things, as in terms of did I play it a long time and beat it? No- I couldn't play more then 30 minutes, however this is because I am a wienie and it Scared the hell out of me, so since their goal was to scare people they did great scared the crap out of me to the point I could no longer play lol great job guys!
  52. Sep 28, 2013
    I love the horror genre of gaming and this title did not disappoint. From the moment you step into that god forsaken asylum, your fear and panic takes root. The design and graphics were something I would expect from games costing 3x as much. For those players who said the fear effects were repetitive or played out obviously didn't play the game in the dark with head phones on as suggestedI love the horror genre of gaming and this title did not disappoint. From the moment you step into that god forsaken asylum, your fear and panic takes root. The design and graphics were something I would expect from games costing 3x as much. For those players who said the fear effects were repetitive or played out obviously didn't play the game in the dark with head phones on as suggested (and probably had their gamma turned way up). From beginning to end this gem of a game grabbed me by the throat and did not let go. I had to stop playing multiple times as it would become too intense. Thank you Red Barrels for a great, if not the best ever horror survival title. I am eagerly awaiting Outlast 2!! Expand
  53. Oct 16, 2013
    Survival horror is by far my favorite genre of all time. To put it simply, it's the amount of emotion, mystery, psychological terror, fear, and dread that games like Silent Hill and Amnesia are able to yield to such an incredible amount in order to provide a serious psychological challenge. That being said, after playing Outlast, I can not wait to see how the survival horror genre willSurvival horror is by far my favorite genre of all time. To put it simply, it's the amount of emotion, mystery, psychological terror, fear, and dread that games like Silent Hill and Amnesia are able to yield to such an incredible amount in order to provide a serious psychological challenge. That being said, after playing Outlast, I can not wait to see how the survival horror genre will evolve. I really hope that future survival horror game developers take tips from Outlast because I sincerely believe that this game is the current head hauncho of horror! Outlast constantly kept me on the edge of my seat had my senses on fire from beginning to end. Outlast is a fantastic survival horror game. I can't wait to see what will happen next.. Expand
  54. Oct 29, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Outlast is easily the best horror game I have ever played, better than "Amnesia A Machine For Pigs" in my opinion! Still gives me goosebumps even after I've completed the game, I would definitely Recommend it to anyone who wants to have nightmares about Insane Lunatics and Ghosts Ripping your organs out, not to mention a Big Fat Afghanistan guy chasing you around an Asylum. Did I mention this Contains Spoilers? Expand
  55. Dec 28, 2013
    нежданным.
    Благодарность играл.
    Слышал сделали.

Понимаю
  56. Nov 5, 2013
    I never heard about this game but it looked nice so i bought to test it... Well... Actually i never played such a good terror game, this is definitelly the scariest game i ever played... The graphics are incredible, the gameplay is also very good, im running it with a gtx660 on maximum. if you want AA, you have to use the NVIDIA control panel to activate on the game. Worths every cent!!!!
  57. Nov 12, 2013
    Game gives chills. Story is great,graphics are great, THE SOUND IS BEST.The sound in this game is sooo good, that i can't find any words to describe it. High quality horror game Giving it 10 with no doubt.
  58. Nov 9, 2013
    This game is... excellent! It's a horror based on crazy people which is a good idea and the Asylum is well done. Very good graphics, I like them most, also the story is exciting, but sometimes it's really, really scary and intense. I hope you will make some more games like this one in the future!
  59. Nov 13, 2013
    This is by far one of the most scariest games I've ever played. More than Amnesia the Dark Descent or the Slender.

To enjoy the max experience, use headset, crank it all the way up, turn off any lights, and play the game.

I actually had to turn this game offf several times because i couldn't handle the pressure. The build-up for all the jump scares are really nice.
  60. Nov 16, 2013
    The scariest game that ive ever played. Red Barrel, good job man. Hope to see more titles by you guys especially on consoles to. Will always have Outlast on my shelves til i day right next to doom, resident evil, and silent hill. 10 out of 10 all the way. Real horror reminds me of Chainsaw massacre or jeepers creepers.
  61. Dec 28, 2013
    I really enjoyed this game, I started off playing with mouse and keyboard but the 360 controller is by far the best way to play .
    This game is right up my alley, the story is twisted and the setting is the last place on earth I would want to be in person, this is the first horror game since Silent Hill 2 that I have been scared and had to really push myself to proceed into the nightmare which is going on in the game The tension in this game is awesome, having to always use the camera to see is a simple but very affective way of adding to the scary atmosphere and the fact you are defenceless sounds crap but offers excellent gameplay trying to survive the horror .
    I wont go into the story at all but in my opinion it just gets it right, I finished the game last night and would recommend this game to anyone, except people with heart conditions lol The game is best played alone, at night with the surround sound pumped up Enjoy
  62. Feb 18, 2014
    One of the scariest games I have ever played. It brings me back to the good old days of Resident Evil for PlayStation, without the ability to defend myself. The only way to survive is to run, run, RUN!!! It's realism is the fact that you can't fight back, you can only hide. Do NOT underestimate the horror in this game.
  63. Dec 26, 2013
    Excellent Graphics, the storyline is a little numb, but who cares, I played the game to have some fun and get scared. Not kidding, this game is so scary it can actually make you cry.
  64. Jan 28, 2014
    This is one of the best survival-horror games I've ever played. Red Barrels definitely did all they could do, with good graphics, effects, scary soundtrack and gameplay.
    Good Job Red Barrels!
  65. May 6, 2014
    great game 11/10 would get my extremities cut off for another experience.
    Whistleblower dlc is also very very good 11/10 would scare.

only problem is it should be longer 10/10 much good.
    Much amaze.
  66. May 31, 2014
    The game together with the dlc makes a wonderful and incredibly spooky gaming experience. The plot is well made, the scary atmosphere is fantastic and the graphics is outstanding! At first I wasn't that happy with the ending, but the dlc took care of that problem!:)
  67. Jul 15, 2014
    Absolutely best horror game I have ever played (and I have played plenty of them). You will be terrified not because of jump-scares (even that there are), not because of gore and hideous "creatures" (even that there are), but because of the greatly designed environment of mental asylum supported by atmospheric ambient. The story is amazing and with the style of actual game-play providesAbsolutely best horror game I have ever played (and I have played plenty of them). You will be terrified not because of jump-scares (even that there are), not because of gore and hideous "creatures" (even that there are), but because of the greatly designed environment of mental asylum supported by atmospheric ambient. The story is amazing and with the style of actual game-play provides truly scary and adrenaline ride. Go for it, if you like to be scared when using bathroom at midnight. Expand
  68. Jun 13, 2014
    This game was a really good horror title which reminded me of Nightmare House 2, graphics are beautifully insane and the story line is really good and the DLC explains a lot of the mysteries from the main game, overall an amazing experience!
  69. Jun 10, 2014
    I am torn, I want to rate this game highly but then I want to give it a low score just to seek revenge in some way as I haven't cacked my pants playing a game for years. Scary, great graphics, makes you reluctant to run anywhere apart from if you're being chased of course. It didn't help when I felt quite tense and my cat clawed my leg. Great game.
  70. Jun 17, 2014
    A game which can be used to define 'Survival Horror'. It did only take 7.5 hours to complete but the ride was like an intense G-force maximising, full loop-da-loop rollercoaster. A perfect nightmare, challenging your anal muscles to keep in the mess. Best £5.89 I have spent in a long while!
  71. Jun 23, 2014
    The game is dripping with atmosphere and is very immerse. I found my self on several occasions having to remind myself that it is just a game. The controls are easy and intuitive. The story is a bit cheesy but very fun. And the game has the wherewithal to end before it gets over done.
    All in all, a great game. If you have been waiting for a great horror game, this is it. Now that it is on Sale (YaY Steam Summer Sale) it is very much worth your time.
    Trust me; The first time you are chased by a monster, the sound of snarling and chains whipping behind you, with your heart racing and your muscles tensed, you will agree. (You can press "Q" or "E" to look behind you. But I couldn't bring myself to press it. I just wanted to get away.)
  72. Sep 14, 2014
    Best game of 2013 I feel! The story feels great and had a lot of fun playing and watching! Pros and cons are, the game is very fun and the story feels so good its like watching a movie...
  73. Oct 19, 2014
    Possibly the scariest game I ever played in my life! The objectives can be a bit difficult, as you can be pursued by demons, ghosts, and other things.
  74. Nov 6, 2014
    This is one of my favourite games off all times atm, I love this game, this game is scary, intense and brilliant. I love the story line, the gore from everything around you, to ripping peoples heads off and bursting them from their insides ... OMG!

I have one problem with this game ... Where is the second Outlast :D !!! Now there is something actual wrong with this game and it is the

I have one problem with this game ... Where is the second Outlast :D !!!

Now there is something actual wrong with this game and it is the hiding from everyone you don't have to go into lockers, you can move around them and also you can just run through the whole game! It has been done I have done it, it is just to easy to get hit once your health goes back up and you start running off again and the same thing happens again! But part from this... Brilliant!
  75. Sep 16, 2013
    For anyone enjoying Amnesia, Penumbra or other FPS horror games get this game. I just finished it and it kept me constantly freaking out. A story that isn't that well told via files you find scattered here and there. The only "weapon" you have is your camcorder, which gives you the ability to see in the light, but not for an extended period since it drains AAA-batteries (like an iPhone)For anyone enjoying Amnesia, Penumbra or other FPS horror games get this game. I just finished it and it kept me constantly freaking out. A story that isn't that well told via files you find scattered here and there. The only "weapon" you have is your camcorder, which gives you the ability to see in the light, but not for an extended period since it drains AAA-batteries (like an iPhone) and you've got replenish them by finding them also scattered around, though in short supply.

It's just a great game. I really recommend it to anyone who like games like Amnesia, Penumbra, perhaps the Resident Evil, Silent Hill series or others like them. BUT what differentiates this game from RE or SH is that you have to RUN and HIDE. No way to fight back.

Just... get this game and see for yourself.
  76. Dec 9, 2013
    This is one of my favorite horror games so far. Philosophically, they did a great job of making the user feel like they were never completely helpless, a pit that Amnesia seemed to fall into very often. Visually, the best. The appearance and atmosphere were perfect given the story and setting. There were occasions when the enemies were shown in the light for too long but this is only aThis is one of my favorite horror games so far. Philosophically, they did a great job of making the user feel like they were never completely helpless, a pit that Amnesia seemed to fall into very often. Visually, the best. The appearance and atmosphere were perfect given the story and setting. There were occasions when the enemies were shown in the light for too long but this is only a minor issue. The ending... it worked for me but there were certainly parts of the story lost within the series of notes. I'll be looking forward to the next release by red barrels. Expand
  77. Sep 4, 2013
    I can see this getting canned for only one reason: national pride.

I can see this getting canned for only one reason: national pride.

Those who've played it will know what I'm talking about. The US did recruit a number of there former enemys specialists and they did perform questionable research...specifically biological and psychological warfare (in fact the game has in the various journals almost word for word excerpts from said research, with names dates and locations changed) and I can't fault people for being in denial over those events (for those curious I do recommend a google search or two on the subject...very chilling stuff and a real lesson in monitoring ones government, to serve and protect...sometimes the latter drives those in power to extremes to one up would be opponents.)

I say this because there's already one review here based solely on this. Now onto the game: It's near flawless in execution the atmosphere is...amazing without a flaw...and the scares are therefore very well designed in that any scare in this little world is a brilliant scare, however there are sections where you are being chased and there is no alternative but to keep running and hope you can crawl or slip through an area your pursuer can't follow these are the weakest feeling parts of the game...they happen a bit to regularly and can't help but feel heavily scripted even if brilliantly so (an enemy has a set pattern of behaviors and they design a small section built around this, with very planned exits)

I've also heard tell it's rather short, which doesn't surprise me as mentioned every inch was designed with care (sometimes to it's detriment again as mentioned) but for the price it's still easily worth it.

I very much look forward to see'ing more from these dev's.
  78. Feb 24, 2014
    Scariest game I've played so far easily. Does a good job of balancing jump scares along with just overall creepiness and atmosphere. Was slightly disappointed in the story by the end of it but that's just me. Overall very good game.
  79. Xon
    Sep 13, 2013
    Since I have very limited free time I prefer games that offer a great experience for 6 12 hours. This game takes less than 5 but it has all the right components to validade the entrance fee.
  80. Sep 24, 2013
    Get a 2560 monitor or larger, make sure you only play at night with all the lights off (not even a candle or any ambient light if possible), stick some decent headphones on, make sure there are no distractions, and get READY for THE SCARIEST GAME EVER MADE. I don't say that lightly either, being a veteran of the first Amnesia game, FEAR games and several Resident Evil titles, as well asGet a 2560 monitor or larger, make sure you only play at night with all the lights off (not even a candle or any ambient light if possible), stick some decent headphones on, make sure there are no distractions, and get READY for THE SCARIEST GAME EVER MADE. I don't say that lightly either, being a veteran of the first Amnesia game, FEAR games and several Resident Evil titles, as well as Alan Wake and Slender etc.. The amount of times I literally jumped and had difficulty continuing forward was unprecedented for me. Ok, I admit that after a few hours or so the fear-factor subsides a bit, but still the tension and surprises continue. This is an excellent example of how horror and survival can be blended expertly into a game that does the best job I've ever seen of re-creating how it must feel to actually be in a horror movie. Ok, the story of medical experimentation and a hideous secrets in an old asylum won't win awards for novelty, but it terms of its FPS platforming-stealth/survival-horror gameplay it raises the bar I think. When you walk through a pool of blood you even leave footprints, and can see your hand and body, hear your heart-thumping and breathing. The camera, being your almost sole source of light at times, works wonderfully too. The cat and mouse games with the inmates though, as well as the fidelity and atmosphere of the environment, and constant good level-design choices is what has pushed this game up the list for me as a contender for non-AAA game of the year. I hate to say this, but please punish us some more with some sequels or DLC! Expand
  81. Sep 6, 2013
    Did you lost faith in parkur adventure, horror and stealth genres? Did you lost hope to see realistic, immersive and HARDCORE AAA game without press x to win kill streaks and cluttering UI? Outlast will restore your faith in everything mentioned and game industry! It also will prove you that indie team of 10 men can do AAA-Indie titles without greedy publishers that killing their creativeDid you lost faith in parkur adventure, horror and stealth genres? Did you lost hope to see realistic, immersive and HARDCORE AAA game without press x to win kill streaks and cluttering UI? Outlast will restore your faith in everything mentioned and game industry! It also will prove you that indie team of 10 men can do AAA-Indie titles without greedy publishers that killing their creative freedom and forcing them to make a Call of Duty and Gears of War accessible for wider re-tar-ded audience.

No no no, this game is not accessible to wide audience, it will scare out of most players not only because its good horror, but also because it realistic and hardcore stealth just like Thief was and its damn hard for brain-dead Call of Duty Xbox 360 generation, thats why its damn pleasant for old school gamers such as me who loved realism and challenge in older games before its almost gone from modern games.

If you love hard challenge, innovative, realistic and purely immersive games such as Alone in Dark 2008, and if you hate YOBA call of duty style FPS games, you will love this one! If you love true survival horrors where survival is very hard because you cant even fight back, and if you love Amnesia you will love this game as well, and if you love old Splinter Cell up to Chaos Theory and loved Thief and remember that scarry part in catacomb, you will love this game too!

I love this game, its not perfect however, but its almost what i dreamed about for many years. Oh yeah, did i tell you that its one of rare games with full body awareness and every action in game totally animated?

What you waiting for BUY THIS GAME ALREADY! I cost twice cheaper than most of recent Mediocre AAA games like Tomb Raider 2013, Bioshock Infinite, Resident Evil 6, Splinter Cell Blacklist, Call of Duty BO2, Metro Las Light, Far Cry, Assassin's Creed 3 and so on, but it brings more fun and joy than all of them together. Before this game 2013 year was a year of dissapointment (if you count only AAA type of games), but Outlast game changed it for me! 10 men can do job better than over 100 men in big companies, and glory of this game puts all big companies to shame!

And a bonus: no pre-cut DLC, no season passes, no achievements and stupid unlocks that turns game intro retarded grind, and most important this game is MOD-FRIENDLY and allows to tweak AI and Difficulty a lot, nothing locked, and critical patches was released just next day after bugs was reported! Truly old-school PC-specific way of doing business with respect to customers!

P.S. devs of this game worked before in Ubisoft, EA, Eidos, THQ and WB (all Montreal studios) on such titles as Prince of Persia, Splinter Cell, Thief, Dead Space, Assassin's Creed, Army of Two and Uncharted, so you can see where roots of this game goes from, als Red Barrles seems to be tired of all that games that gone into wrong direction recently due of lack of creative freedom in big studios, so the decided to say "Go to hell, we will make our own game with blackjack and hookers" and unleashed their creativity in their own little indie studio, that kicked balls of major studios and other indies by showing how indie game made by few guys can be all AAA and better than major AAA tiles made by big teams.

After Outlast it would be shame for indie and major studios to not do games as good as Red Barrels did!
    Fully animated body awareness and pure realism and true immersion without UI, XP grind and stupid kills-streaks and with AI that can hear and see almost anything should be a new trend since now! Its damn 2013 not 2003 after all!
  82. Oct 10, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. There are very few reasons why I didn't give this game a 10/10.

One is that by the time you get to the last parts of the game, it's no longer scary.
    Also the game could have exploited some ideas way better, for example (SPOILER) when the main character loses the camera, they could have done more things there to make you suffer, instead you find the camera kinda fast and it's kinda ''meh''.
    The other thing is the plot twist at the end. (WARNING MORE SPOILERS) So you get into this asylum full of crazy dangerous people... and in the end it turns out its some spooooooooky ghost? What the f***? That was very disappointing to me BUUUUT other than that, the game is gold.

Scariest game I've played IN YEARS, plus some extra points for the mention of the MK Ultra experiments, nice stuff.
  83. Sep 11, 2013
    This was probably the most fun I've had playing a horror game in a good while, which surprised me because I really wasn't expecting much out of this one. Jump scares are definitely not the only things that will give you the chills, this game has strong atmosphere, and lurking around to avoid being seen by enemies can be some of the creepiest parts of the game, and can be terrifying whenThis was probably the most fun I've had playing a horror game in a good while, which surprised me because I really wasn't expecting much out of this one. Jump scares are definitely not the only things that will give you the chills, this game has strong atmosphere, and lurking around to avoid being seen by enemies can be some of the creepiest parts of the game, and can be terrifying when you're being chased. The game also has enough meat to it to put all of it's mechanics to good use without ever feeling underplayed or gimmicky. I also feel that the game does a good job of making you care about the main character's well being, he goes through so much crap in this game that it makes it all the more motivating to keep going and see what happens next. I wont say more, overall I highly recommend this to horror fans, it's pretty awesome. Expand
  84. Sep 5, 2013
    Well this game is really creepy. Do not listen to the douchebags saying otherwise just for the sake of argument and for proving their "manliness" The developers knew how to build tension and scare the sh*t out of me. Some jump scares here and there, but luckily they did not overdone it. Also a lot of sick scenarious and places make this game a rather twisted experience. Nightmarish stuff,Well this game is really creepy. Do not listen to the douchebags saying otherwise just for the sake of argument and for proving their "manliness" The developers knew how to build tension and scare the sh*t out of me. Some jump scares here and there, but luckily they did not overdone it. Also a lot of sick scenarious and places make this game a rather twisted experience. Nightmarish stuff, well worth giving it a chance. Headphones and nighttime recommended for full effect. Expand
  85. Sep 5, 2013
    WoW i pass this game tonight its take 2:50 Min for me, what can i say pure horror and psychological game i dont care if they take some Condemned and f.e.a.r together in shaker and wo'la Whole new game reborn this is what horror games should be.
  86. Oct 21, 2013
    Quite possibly the best horror game I've ever played. I was genuinely terrified throughout most of this game. My only real criticism is the ending which was far too abrupt. The rest of the game was extremely atmospheric and made to very high standards.

I really enjoyed the use of the video camera which can record certain events and help you to see in the dark. In fact, the night vision on the camera is the most realistic I've ever seen in a video game.

There were several jump scares but the real scares came during the moments when the unpredictable AI was hunting me. The sound design is another great aspect of this game. It made the scary parts even more scary and helped alleviate some of the cheesy-ness of the jump scares.

All in all, a fantastic game with a great flare for the survival horror genre. Amnesia is in trouble.
  87. Nov 5, 2013
    I got really big horror exp., that didn't have before. Really good realization of story and gameplay. Outlast has bugs, that don't allow me to make my mark 10/10. So, 9/10.
  88. Dec 7, 2014
    Not as scary as I had hoped, but everything else surpassed my expectations! Aside from the occasional glitch or hiccup, Outlast is a horror masterpiece. It sets the gore bar higher than any other game I've seen. Graphics are sweet and optimization is great. It would've been nicer to have an easy option to disable the film grain effect that is present at all times. I use a mod that disablesNot as scary as I had hoped, but everything else surpassed my expectations! Aside from the occasional glitch or hiccup, Outlast is a horror masterpiece. It sets the gore bar higher than any other game I've seen. Graphics are sweet and optimization is great. It would've been nicer to have an easy option to disable the film grain effect that is present at all times. I use a mod that disables it and I must say it looks much nicer without the effect. It's sad to see that some people think its potential is wasted. I enjoyed it a lot, as well as Amnesia: The Dark Descent and Slender: The Arrival. The reason I said it wasn't as scary is because hiding from the crazies is too easy. They never thoroughly check lockers or under beds. I feel like there should've been a more challenging hiding system that affects the outcome. Anyone remember the hiding system in Manhunt 2 on Wii? Outlast should've adopted something similar, perhaps like keeping the mouse in line with something while some crazy a-hole is looking directly at you in pitch black areas. It never hurts to build on the stealth. Oh well. Great game either way. Expand
  89. Oct 11, 2013
    Its a great game never played a game so intense. You really feel scared and i couldnt play it for a long time without taking a break. They did a real good job. So if you like horror survival games like Amnesia and want to experience something new you should get this game. Unfortunately i read a spoiler on IGN and that ruined the ending for me. Shame on you IGN for not removing it! ButIts a great game never played a game so intense. You really feel scared and i couldnt play it for a long time without taking a break. They did a real good job. So if you like horror survival games like Amnesia and want to experience something new you should get this game. Unfortunately i read a spoiler on IGN and that ruined the ending for me. Shame on you IGN for not removing it! But nevertheless like many others i didnt like it much anyway. Also for the sequel a little more challenge and variation. Expand
  90. Dec 25, 2013
    This is such a great game, but I have two problems. Firstly, I found the variety of missions very boring as I found myself finding for example: 3 fuses for a fuse box COUNTLESS times and it annoyed me. Secondly, I just found the platforming horrible. On a good note, this is a beautiful game and had me on the edge of my seat throughout. Definitely worth the price of admission.
  91. Jun 7, 2014
    This is one of the best horror games I have played. Mind you, it is more like a walk (or run) through a haunted house than a game. There are no puzzles elements other than hunting for camcorder batteries, crawlspaces to squeeze through, or various objects like key cards and fuses to get you on your way. There is no combat. All you can do is run and hide.
    I have been bored by other
    I have been bored by other games in the genre with little to do but explore in the dark (Amnesia x2, Among the Sleep, Year Walk, Gone Home).
    Something is different about Outlast. The atmosphere. The sound design. The Lighting. It is just a great creepy experience. The characters themselves don't have the best graphics and animation, but look at the original Silent Hill. People eat that up and the graphics are horrible by today's standards. Outlast sets a mood and keeps it going.
    Sure you can play it on easy and take a lot of hits and just run through the whole thing. The check points are not far apart, so nobody is going to be frustrated by having to replay long passages. But if you are as careful and possible and play with an "I don't want to die" attitude, you will run for your life and your heart will pound as you hope you chose the right bed under which to hide.
    For a $20 indie game it is excellent. It is long enough to get to play through a few different environments with a few novel twist to the formula, but it isn't so long that it gets too repetitive and tedious.
    It is more like watching a movie than playing a video game. It reminds me of the final scene of The Shinning when Danny is running for his life from Jack, except you are Danny and you are running and hiding for your life. I don't think a game has ever gotten me so wound up that I can't play it anywhere near bedtime. It has been a long time since a game did that, as some of the Dead Space and Silent Hill games did.
  92. Jun 16, 2014
    I often forgot this was a game. Outlast does such an amazing job of creating these unique identities for the handful of psychos stalking you in the asylum that it created this sense of realism I have not found in a game in a long time.
    I dodged this game for months thinking it would just be full of cheap jump scares, but it is not. It has a very detailed world to explore and a very solid story to unravel.
    It became apparent at some point that the developers were afraid the game was turning out to be too short and started stretching out the gameplay. This stretched gameplay is not bad quality, but serves to add a lot of question marks to your thought pattern when you reach them.
    My only real complaint would be the rare but over-used character models for the more common variants. Occasionally, I would come across a character that I would think was someone I had already encountered before, only to find out it was just another NPC using the same model, which would remind me that this is only a game quickly.
    Overall, this game scared its way into my favorite games list. Watching my little cousin jump so much during the first five minutes that I thought he was going to damage my system was worth the base price alone. I was sad to read that Whistleblower concludes the story.
  93. Sep 6, 2013
    Not gonna lie, this game is scary!! It has great atmosphere with some unique graphics and I really enjoyed the camera gimmick. Only reason it didn't get a 10 is because it was pretty short and has low replayability. But you can't go wrong with the $20 price.
  94. Sep 8, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Great and very scary game! If you like updated graphics, set in modern year, great jumpscares, great sound effects, epic nice gameplay..Nothing bad in game, but it is bit short game.
    Pros:
    Very scary game, graphics, sound effects, gameplay, no combat, nice story
    Cons:
    Bit short game, repetitious bosses...

Total: 9 score. Its nice game and worth the money.
  95. Jan 6, 2014
    Outlast is arguably the best horror game ever! It will scare the crap out of you from beginning to end. The stealth gameplay gives the player a spine-chilling experience and the jump scares are well executed. Also, the atmosphere of Mount Massive Asylum makes you feel that the place is alive and terrifying. But unfortunately, the game's plot is a big letdown especially the ending. It'sOutlast is arguably the best horror game ever! It will scare the crap out of you from beginning to end. The stealth gameplay gives the player a spine-chilling experience and the jump scares are well executed. Also, the atmosphere of Mount Massive Asylum makes you feel that the place is alive and terrifying. But unfortunately, the game's plot is a big letdown especially the ending. It's confusing and it left me unsatisfied. On the bright side, Red Barrels proved that the survival horror genre is still alive. Outlast is must play game for huge horror fans but not for the faint of heart. Expand
  96. Oct 25, 2013
    The scariest horror game i've ever played. Seriously, I do not know of a single horror game that's this scary. (and yes i've played Amnesia and Slender, Slender is terrible.)
  97. Nov 21, 2013
    Awesome, scary and refreshing game. Finally a great horror game worth playing again. Hopefully the developers continue the franchise to bring out even better/scarier sequels or prequels.

Red Barrel Games, you guys are awesome! Keep up the good work and continue making terrifying games. :-) PS. The next installment could be a little more original/inspiring. That's the only critique I

PS. The next installment could be a little more original/inspiring. That's the only critique I can find for Outlast.
  98. Sep 5, 2013
    If you liked Amnesia, this is for you! For me it is the scariest game i have ever played, but for sure you have to play it with your Headphones on and lights turned off, if you really want to slip deeper into the atmosphere. However, be warned I had to stop playing and pause at some points, because it´s so freaking scary and that is really no joke! I´m also playing with Nvidia 3D VisionIf you liked Amnesia, this is for you! For me it is the scariest game i have ever played, but for sure you have to play it with your Headphones on and lights turned off, if you really want to slip deeper into the atmosphere. However, be warned I had to stop playing and pause at some points, because it´s so freaking scary and that is really no joke! I´m also playing with Nvidia 3D Vision (helix just added a fix at the geforce forums)... playing this game in 3D is absolutely stunning. Expand
  99. Jan 3, 2014
    Outlast will be remembered as the scariest game of the generation, that redefines the horror genre that was desperately in need of a tune up. Never have I been so scared in a game before, horror fans are in for a treat. I love the gaming mechanics, graphics, music and jump scares that truly make your heart stop pumping. The most fun is found here when skyping and friend while playing andOutlast will be remembered as the scariest game of the generation, that redefines the horror genre that was desperately in need of a tune up. Never have I been so scared in a game before, horror fans are in for a treat. I love the gaming mechanics, graphics, music and jump scares that truly make your heart stop pumping. The most fun is found here when skyping and friend while playing and pissing yourself at there reactions. Definitely worth your time and money, what another excellent indie game of 2013. Expand
  100. Oct 24, 2013
    This is perhaps the most frightening and horror experience I lived in a game. The graphics are very realistic, almost photorealistic, full of gore and images which mark and which remain imprinted on the brain after a long period out of the game.
    The sound is great and contributes enormously to create frightening atmosphere.
    I can not describe in words how grotesque are some sets, and
    The sound is great and contributes enormously to create frightening atmosphere.
    I can not describe in words how grotesque are some sets, and times when you're being chased by a guy definitely will raise the pulse of any normal person alarming.
    This game is a must for any horror enthusiast who thinks he has seen everything in this genre

1. Feb 21, 2014
    A game that is not as innovative as you would hope. It is very old school. Nevertheless, this is a real horror-game and we can guarantee that you will freak out. It may be old school, but it is still a very good game that will blow you away.
  2. Dec 5, 2013
    This is probably the most horrifying experience in videogames, ever!
  3. Oct 31, 2013
    On one side, you have linear gameplay, at times simplistic game design and plenty of clichés. On the other – an exciting opportunity to star in a very cool horror ‘movie’.