8.4

1. Sep 4, 2013
    Perhaps, in the past two or three years, this is the scariest and most atmospheric game.
    Outlast can safely bring the textbooks to create atmospheric games. I think, or to be more precise I hope that thanks to games such as Outlast, survival-horror genre, or horrors can be reborn in the form in which it was once born.
    Game developers studio Red Barrels cheers!
    And a special thank
    you for adding text Russian localization a bow and thanks to all Russian-speaking players!
    Bravo!
    10 out of 10.
  2. Sep 4, 2013
    Wasted potential. So much wasted potential.
    This game lures you in with some great graphics and a neat little camera gimmick. To be fair to the game the graphics are gorgeously rendered. The camera's Night Vision effect in particular is well done and it's nice to actually see Mile's hands when he actually performs an action.

However, the experience starts to fall apart almost
    immediately. What's wrong with this game? Well where do I begin? For one, the setting. Asylums are seriously overplayed as horror settings. We get it, crazy people are scary. The so-called scares are predictable and hokey. The story is the same warmed over pap we've seen over and over and over and over and over again. An evil Mega Corporation has been performing unethical experiments that got completely out of control blah blah blah blah blah blah blah Mercernaries blah blah Ham fisted religious undertones blah. There's no mystery at all. Furthermore it falls into the exact same trap that the Dead Space games fell into. The graphic designers are so proud of their work on the monsters that they just can't bear to keep their babies in the dark, so they have the monsters prance around in plain view like they're so happy to be seen. Also, the poorly designed stealth mechanics make enemy encounters frustrating rather than scary.

I see that the game was heavily marketed as being "designed by veterans of some of the biggest franchises in history." This is a flaw as far as I can see. These veterans just kept on doing the same thing they've always done, and the result is that they did the same thing we've always done and the game falls into the same traps it always has. These developers could have learned so much from the Amnesia series since it's obvious that Outlast desperately wants to be Amnesia. The developers would have benefited from another playthrough.
  3. Sep 5, 2013
    As said before, the game loses his essence of horror itself on the very 10~30 minutes. After that is "go there", "oh, there's a very predictable problem and you have to take another route", "oh a bad guy on the way and you gotta run and hide, hearing your heavy breathing" etc...

Horror?! Seriously, Gone Home was scarier.

Seems like a bad movie where you can't wait for it to finish
    and say for sure "yeah it sucks".
    It amazes me how a game that took me about 4 hours to finish, bored me as much Outlast did.

The idea of "can't fight any enemy" made me think that "this could be interesting", but the AI is really easy to outrun. I didn't ran out of battery neither died on the entire game play (pretty much the entire meta-game).

And what about the notes?! Some crack-wise spiderman-like comments from a character that runs the entire game...

I was expecting much, much more from this game. Very disappointing.

I'm giving 3 because the gore was delivered as promised.
  4. Sep 4, 2013
    Honestly, Outlast is a good game, but it's nothing special. If you cross Condemned, FEAR and Amnesia, this is what you'll get. It's, however a very calculated game. I see calculated as opposite to cleverly planned. Especially the beginning of the game feels as if Red Barrel were devs that played Amnesia and wanted to remake it on a AAA-level. It has a massive mass market appeal with its quite predictable plot (find a keycard, oh, now electricity is broken, go to the cellar to turn it back on) and clichéd setting. There's not much variety in gameplay, nor in story (which has loads of horrendous plotholes) and the horror is not very subtile. Sometimes the game is screaming "look I'm scary!" especially with the sometimes absurd amount of gore and copy-pasted scare-setpieces. While Amnesia is scary because you can't see what scares you, Outlast is supposed to be scary because you see everything. Sure, it's 20 bucks, you'll get your fun out of it, but it's not scary and terrifying in a revolutionary way. There are a few jump scares here and there but mostly it's kind of predictable. My money is on Amnesia: A Machine for pigs. Expand
  5. Sep 8, 2013
    It's a linear game without any puzzles. Instead it's full of jump scares. Graphics are nice and the camera effect looks cool but it could've been much more. It's short and has none replay value. I wonder if we ever again see actually good horror in video games or will everything just be jump scare after another.
  6. Sep 4, 2013
    Absolutely my favorite horror game to date. I felt the immersion within the first 10 minutes of game play. The best time to play is after nightfall. Lights off and undisturbed. Turn up the AC for a chilly room. Then blast the surround sound. You will not be disappointed.
  7. Sep 5, 2013
    The game is not bad, is actually pretty enjoyable sometimes....
    The scariest thing about the game are not the monsters, or the jump scares, but the motion blur, which cannot be turned off (unless you turn off all the effects), but the game still looks great with all the effects at minimum......
    Fix the motion blur option please!
  8. Sep 4, 2013
    Amazing! This is an instant favorite. Beautiful introduction, simple and classic controls, and an absolutely frightening experience. To those looking for a thrilling and memorable game, I recommend Outlast without reservation.

Pros: Elegant game-play with surprisingly high production value. The trailer gives an excellent feel for this game. The experience has been a delight, and I'm
    sure other horror genre fans will agree.

Cons: Can't close doors quietly (unless I'm missing something). I don't like being forced to slam doors shut as I sneak around... but this is only a minor complaint.
  9. Sep 4, 2013
    Incredibly creepy, a masterpiece of atmospheric engineering. The setting and basic mechanics may be cliche, but the end product will keep your heart racing. Play this in the dark with headphones and you won't be disappointed, especially considering the $20 price.
  10. Sep 9, 2013
    It doesn't take long into the game to look past the pretty visuals to see that the scares and atmosphere are painted on. From the title screen we already begin to experience some problems, there are no advanced graphical options (which to me was a problem as I have a fairly low-end PC luckily this game has great optimisation and I could run it 60fps on highest). There is also no sound options other than master volume. The experience has been on level with a haunted mansion ride predictable, repetitive, non threatening and frustrating jump-scares. It seems the reactions they got from the easily shocked by the body jump-scare behind the door were so fantastic that they decided to reuse the spooky door jump scares over and over and over. It began to be incredibly annoying and laughable that things kept appearing behind doors, fizzling out the suspense completely. Enemies pose absolutely no threat. At one point I ran away from an enemy with a weapon, that, surprisingly, was behind a door. He walked up to the locker I hid in, pulled me out, hit my character in the face and then threw me in the direction to run away, where he never ended up following me. Any true veterans of the horror genres will yawn as this game constantly tries to shock you. This game does nothing new, its story is on par with Killing Floor and the only thing it has going for it is its great optimisation and a cool camera gimmick. I was hoping more but I never expected much, your money is better spent elsewhere. Expand
  11. Sep 4, 2013
    I can see this getting canned for only one reason: national pride.

Those who've played it will know what I'm talking about. The US did recruit a number of there former enemys specialists and they did perform questionable research...specifically biological and psychological warfare (in fact the game has in the various journals almost word for word excerpts from said research, with names
    dates and locations changed) and I can't fault people for being in denial over those events (for those curious I do recommend a google search or two on the subject...very chilling stuff and a real lesson in monitoring ones government, to serve and protect...sometimes the latter drives those in power to extremes to one up would be opponents.)

I say this because there's already one review here based solely on this. Now onto the game: It's near flawless in execution the atmosphere is...amazing without a flaw...and the scares are therefore very well designed in that any scare in this little world is a brilliant scare, however there are sections where you are being chased and there is no alternative but to keep running and hope you can crawl or slip through an area your pursuer can't follow these are the weakest feeling parts of the game...they happen a bit to regularly and can't help but feel heavily scripted even if brilliantly so (an enemy has a set pattern of behaviors and they design a small section built around this, with very planned exits)

I've also heard tell it's rather short, which doesn't surprise me as mentioned every inch was designed with care (sometimes to it's detriment again as mentioned) but for the price it's still easily worth it.

I very much look forward to see'ing more from these dev's.
  12. Sep 4, 2013
    1st of all this game is a mood game, atmospheric game, with tensions and it is also paranoia inducing.
    I have played countless of these games myself, from the very 1st Resident Evil & Silent Hill on PS1 back then, Fatal Frame series, then Dead Space, Amnesia, Scratches etc etc...the list is a long one.
    Outlast is a masterpiece in what it tries to achieve, which is: primal fears,
    paranoia, and giving you the feeling that you're alone, even if in a way you're not...
    The storyline is quite creepy, and twisted as well, based on different historical facts, being real or not is not really important, as if it would be real, i wouldn't want to know about it...seriously. Some things are better kept hidden and secret. Conclusion, Outlast isn't a game for you to play at noon, with sun and bright lights through your window and little birds...If you do that, you'll ruin the whole mood. Instead, play it late at night, close all the lights and put your headset on, or pump up the volume of your speakers...Then play...
    Come back here later, and i tell me it wasn't scary...You won't
  13. Sep 11, 2013
    I think this game is slightly overrated. Here's why: 1) There is a fundamental problem with the mechanics of the game that lead it to be overly boring and repetitive. The problem stems from the fact that you cannot attack enemies and thus don't need to regulate health, stamina, ammo, etc. All you can do is hide. It's ridiculous that I can't fight back when some scrawny guy missing his skin is beating me to death. 2) because of (1) above, you tend to get your ass kicked over and over until you've memorized a map and this is both frustrating and not scary when you get killed for the 20th time by the same wimp 3) the puzzles tend to emphasize knowing the map (collect X of some item) which relates back to (1) and (2) and finally 4) the story isn't really all that interesting or subtle. It's your typical sort of Resident Evil Operation Racoon stuff that's been done to death. Otherwise the game is OK. The graphics, sound effects, and general ambiance of the level design and atmosphere are top notch and this is why I give it 7/10. Expand
  14. Sep 5, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. So I finished the game and taking with the two feelings, the story was downright bad and towards the end you will be a little shocked. The atmosphere you breathe icy breath until the end of the back and this is definitely a great title that his promise. It really is a game of survival horror and full of unpleasant moments.

What struck me at the game but was greatly disappointed by game time. I finished the game for four hours, I enjoyed so only two nights and I feel very disappointed. The game had great potential and I feel very deprived. It is above average and great horror game that the knee precipitated a very short game time and sometimes poor AI.
  15. Sep 5, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Outlast was by no means a poor game, and had all the ingredients for an amazing horror game. However, these ingredients weren't used to the fullest.
    The beginning of the game was amazing. The atmosphere sucked you right in, and the scares were placed just right to both scare you and teach you the game. As it got towards the middle and end, things began to lack off. Repetitive scare tactics lost their edge, and the designers even began to announce the entrance of major enemies to let you be aware that they were there, and that you should be cautious. Over exposure to the enemies was also a minor problem. I became used to seeing freaks everywhere and didn't pay much mind if one hit me. Also, the survival horror aspect is too forgiving (I think this of Amnesia too) a huge, beast of a man is introduced to you by ripping off an inmates head and when you encounter him, he just throws you or slaps you; almost every enemy in the game has to hit you twice.
    The platforming was great because it felt like you were just an average man, not some star athlete. You felt the breathing and effort in the long jumps.
    Lastly the ending areas were lackluster at best, a cliche ending to the game and a huge let down for the mystery and buildup it had going for it. I'll leave the ending at that.
    Overall, it was still worth my money and easily worth playing, just don't expect the 'scariest game ever' as it was hyped for.

TL;DR
    Enemies lost their scariness and threat
    Reused scare tactics
    Atmosphere was stunning, but fell off near the end
    Had some amazing scares, but too many failed attempts
    7/10 would buy and play.
  16. Sep 5, 2013
    Well this game is really creepy. Do not listen to the douchebags saying otherwise just for the sake of argument and for proving their "manliness" The developers knew how to build tension and scare the sh*t out of me. Some jump scares here and there, but luckily they did not overdone it. Also a lot of sick scenarious and places make this game a rather twisted experience. Nightmarish stuff, well worth giving it a chance. Headphones and nighttime recommended for full effect. Expand
  17. Sep 5, 2013
    Probably my most anticipated horror game of 2013, Outlast, attempts to dethrone Amnesia with it's brilliant graphics, solid atmosphere, interesting story, and bone-chilling thrills. However, does it succeed? First off, lets discuss how much you are getting for $20. The game, as stated previously, looks beautiful. This is easily the best-looking (and best-sounding) horror game to ever be released. The story is intriguing, to say the least, but the ending may leave you feeling your whole adventure was worthless and changed nothing. Controls are solid, and vaulting over obstacles made you feel more competent as a survivor than Amnesia could ever bring, though some objects that I should have been able to vault over, I could not, causing some unnecessary deaths.

I have only 2 problems with this game: The ending, and the play-time. Like I said, the ending leaves you feeling like playing the game's story was pointless (I'll leave you to figure out how & why). I got about 4 hours out of this game, which surprised me greatly, as I assumed that the game would run for well over 8 hours. I expect the game would have been even shorter had it not asked you to activate a certain number of objects, or to go find a key for a door every 10 minutes. The puzzles could have been more diverse, as they lacked creativity.

Overall, it's a really well done horror game. Beautiful, atmospheric, and has a decent story. However, the short duration and poor ending are likely to ruin it for a few, as it did for me.

Graphics: 9/10
    Gameplay: 9/10
    Sound: 9/10
    Story: 7/10
    Play-time: 6/10

Overall: 8/10

I recommend getting it. It's a great buy for $20.
  18. Sep 7, 2013
    The visuals of this game are good and the camera gimmick works well enough. The gameplay is very simple. You do a lot of running around, climb, collect journal entries and batteries for your camera. The problem of Outlast is that it isn't scary enough and that it relies heavily on jump-scares. The Asylum as a place is quite boring and the plot of the game is your basic horror schlock. Not a single original idea in this department. Overall,a very mixed experience. Expand
  19. Sep 5, 2013
    Great story,stunning graphics and physics,good parkour ideas,really scary monsters and jumpscares,though some of them are really easy to glitch. Still awesome game Red Barrels! We want more updates,and after some time more games from you!Cheers!
  20. Sep 9, 2013
    Outlast is a well designed game with a few key misses...

I felt the game and story arc both developed in the same pattern; strong introduction, sagging middle, and a strong end. Unfortunately, most of the game is considered to be the "middle", so for about 5 hours I felt as if I were simply jumping through hoops to finish.

This game suffers from the same thing as the original
    "Assassin's Creed"; repetition. You are constantly trying to find switches, levers, or keys while being hunted by a particular enemy (a lot of times, one that has chased you before...). I have to admit, the game was able to maintain it's level of scariness for the first encounter... maybe a bit during the second, but after that, the player starts to realize the patterns, understands the AI, and loses all immersion, at least I did. At this point, I found myself giving up on creeping past enemies and slowly walking around corners because I knew I would survive at least one or two hits from the enemy, and all I would have to do to escape is either climb into an air duct or close myself in a room and hide. Nine times out of ten, the enemy would break the door down, walk into my 10x10 room with one bed (which I would be hiding under), and give up his pursuit. Really?! You're not going to check the one and only possible hiding spot??? Oh well...

I don't play many survival horror games. Actually, to be 100% honest, this is my first one! I figured I would give the genre the benefit of the doubt and gave the game a 6/10. Perhaps it is a masterpiece in its own right? To me though, a non-memorable and simple foray through the dark.

To sum up:
    Pros:
    1) Beautifully designed
    2) Strong introduction and ending

Cons:
    1) Majority of game is repetitious
    2) A.I is predictable and easily fooled (crouching is OP)
    3) Extremely forgiving gameplay that removes all drama and tension from encounters.
  21. Sep 8, 2013
    Have to give Outlast a score of 5. I was expecting so much more from this, and it began so, so promising.
    The absolute worst thing about this game is the length. It's so incredibly short..
    It's short, and there's no custom story map editor feature, yet they ask for more money than Amnesia.
    The graphics are amazing, the enemies NPCs are incredibly detailed and look fantastic. I wish
    there was more to find than journals and batteries. I wish you had to maintain your health as well. MINOR SPOILER: Enemies in this game do not disappear, like they do in Amnesia. This is a great plus for Outlast, but since you have no health bar and you regain health automatically, there isn't much risk trying to sneak by an enemy.

I'm gonna hope for some REALLY lengthy DLC to save this game. While I do not like it, I would spend a few more euro to get more of this.
  22. Sep 6, 2013
    The best horror survival game in the genre. The atmosphere is utterly terrifying and very immersive. Audio and visuals are top notch and very impressive not just for an Indy game, but in general. This is an absolute must play for those who are into the horror genre.
  23. Sep 5, 2013
    There's not much to say. Fluent gameplay, interesting story, good atmosphere. The only downside for me was the fact, that it's not that scary. But still, it's enjoyable.
  24. Sep 6, 2013
    Before I say anything, keep in mind, this is a low price game with many full price features. So, with that in mind, I feel I can be a bit generous with my verdict of Outlast.

What I consider to be of a full price nature are the graphics (only FSAA currently missing from the limited options, surely the PS4 will be getting some AA, right?), which are very good, not amazing, but great use
    of lighting and perfectly smooth. The sound is also very good, excellent subtleties that don't infringe on the intended mood of the game, although the soundtrack can become slightly cliche at times. Controls are tight, movement effects (crouch, run, look behind, etc) all done ell and, more importantly, not overdone. Again, considering the price, Outlast can and does look and sound better than many full price titles.

The budget elements only really come down to lacklustre character models some could have looked a lot better and the fact that Red Barrels add a nice touch with showing a close-up of the hand when leaning against walls, etc, but decided to leave it looking rather substandard. Small niggles that wouldn't have taken much time to resolve but would have meant that all of Outlast looked nice, not just most of it.

Scary? I'm not so sure, not in a Amnesia way, more like a F.E.A.R. way really; which ultimately makes it more of a shocker than an outright horror. Amnesia is the master of pretence, whereas Outlast just throws it at you. It has it's moments but it's not as clever as Amnesia.

Film grain? Not my thing, but it's there.

Overall, good, but considering the price tag, I'm going to say very good.
  25. Sep 6, 2013
    I was skeptical when starting to play. I've played a lot of horror-type games and often remain unfazed. This is one of the few games that has successfully immersed me into the game and caused me to jump and my heart to skip a few beats. Well done.
  26. Sep 7, 2013
    Just bought it and played atleast half an hour into it.. I think i can definitely say, the game is about as good as a penumbra or dead space, if better. its got the horror si-fi taste in it witch makes it beautiful. I very highly recommend children under 18 to not play this, it will scare the heck out of young ones. Lots of blood and gore and very heavily horror scenes.. Great game though, great game. Expand
  27. Sep 5, 2013
    WoW i pass this game tonight its take 2:50 Min for me, what can i say pure horror and psychological game i dont care if they take some Condemned and f.e.a.r together in shaker and wo'la Whole new game reborn this is what horror games should be.
  28. Sep 5, 2013
    As a hard core gamer and horror writer/fanatic, I can pleasantly say that "Outlast" combines the best of both worlds into one experience like no other. Trying to hide from a lunatic underneath a bed while you can see or hear his feet shuffling across the room is incredibly breathtaking, and sneaking past any threat feels satisfying. You automatically grad onto corners while standing next to them en you can actually vault over objects and see your own feet, giving you the feeling you're not just a floating head but an actual, volnurable person. The best horror experience in years. Expand
  29. Sep 5, 2013
    Probably the best horror game out there right now, maybe even better than Amnesia. I found this game more fast paced than Amnesia, creating an intense atmosphere with some really well-crafted jump scares.
    Recommended to all the horror fans. If you sh*t your pants easily, don't buy this.
  30. Sep 7, 2013
    Really good game, it's worth the $20. If you like horror games you need to pick it up.

The pros: It's fun to play, has great environments/atmosphere, and has high quality production. I was also happy that there wasn't an overuse of jump-scares. I loved using the camera to explore, I thought that this was a great (but over used) mechanic.

The cons are: A loss of immersion after the
    first 1/2 an hour of play. I played in the dark with headphones and set my gamma low enough to ensure stuff would be getting the jump on me. But even with this the unoriginal story, the amount of time spend so close to the enemies (they lose their scariness), and overuse of the night-vision on the video camera killed the immersion for me. I feel that if the player only got glimpses of the enemies and used the night-vision 20% of the time (rather than 90%) would have made this a perfect game.

Regardless of the fact that I just used more characters to type about the game's flaws it is easily one of the best horror games I've played and I whole heartily recommend it.
  31. Sep 4, 2013
    Took a stab at this one having not viewed any playthroughs.
    A step up in the horror genre, and will keep you on the edge of the
    seat til the very end. Hopefully custom stories to come with this new
    visual mechanic.
  32. Sep 5, 2013
    Very scary game, better than amnesia.
  33. Sep 5, 2013
    I first got a look at his game, from a few people who got a chance to play the demo. I was really into what I saw. Beautiful graphics, solid and great looking gameplay. I was really looking forward to it. And I pre-ordered it. The day it came out, I downloaded it, and started it around 9pm that night. Headphones on, just so I'd get all of the scares I could. What followed, was the biggest let down ever. Okay, what you get with outlast, is a Beautiful game, with a hard to understand, but well kept story. Horrible, and stupid as jump scares. And for the first hour, good and clean scares that work and feel good to any horror fan. After that though..this game takes a major blow where it counts most. The game just stops being scary. Throwing the enemies at you every five seconds and doing little to keep the atmosphere when you run into crazy, yet friendly people...I guess? But, for a small price of 20 dollars, its a great game for people new to the horror genre. Not to scary, and good to ease you into the whole horror theme. I liked this game, and you are getting your moneys worth....but this is NOT for hardcore horror fans. Good length to the game, okay story, boring enemies, nasty and strange things. But over all, slightly above your average indie horror title Expand
  34. Sep 6, 2013
    Outlast surly is one of the best Horror Games ever released.

Thanks to developers like Red Barrels we can enjoy a game so well done like Outlast! it was from Start to the end a tense roller coaster cant wait for more
  35. Sep 10, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I have to say that Outlast was quite a well made game for an indie team. The graphics/visuals are very nicely done. The story itself was rather short and felt somewhat empty sadly, and the ending was rather disappointing. It felt rushed.

However my experience playing the game was for the most part, fun.
    The game itself wasn't scary though. It was more thrills and suspense and the odd jump scare.

The atmosphere in the game was pretty good. Some of the things you see patients doing was rather surprising but at the same time, it's something you would expect to see. All in all, I think the developers got the mental patient behaviors to definitely give off the feeling that you were in a mental institution. It could have been taken further in my opinion. But still I would say it was well done.

I loved the camera and it's night vision. It really went well with the game and definitely was something I was happy to have.

Enemies were not really scary. Pretty much all characters in the game that you encounter look extremely similar to each other, which left me a bit disappointed to be honest. They looked weird, but not in a scary way.

Also while I enjoyed not being able to attack and having to run and hide instead, it felt extremely simple and in no way scary. It was more of a suspense feeling. Getting away from enemies was very easy, and with the AI intelligence, it felt somewhat unrealistic. They were not much of a threat. More of an annoyance and rather predictable very early in the game.

The AI itself for enemies was very basic when they would look around for you. It felt very simple. However I will say watching them look under beds and in lockers was quite a chilling to experience. Heck, I even once had one of the enemies open the right one which took me by complete surprise! So that over there gets a star for thrills. Though the AI itself to me was still silly. See spoiler below as to why.

SPOILER
    In once instance where Tager is looking for you, I was hiding under a bed, he looked under a bed right ahead of me. Yet he couldn't see me. But it was light enough that he should have. So it felt a bit odd. But I didn't mind so much since he was not a very nice enemy to be around. Long story short he will NEVER be my buddy..
    SPOILER

Another thing that I felt was a bit odd was the portable lights on the floor. Surely the player should be able to move them or turn them off to hide from enemies.. So that was rather odd to me.

The institution was quite nicely done. But in some areas it felt a bit repetitive. The gore was pretty gory I suppose. Definitely felt like something horrid had happened.

The sound effects were decent. Hearing the character's breathing when scared was quite a nice effect and such.

Overall, I don't really write reviews but here's my sum up.

Story: 5/10
    Gameplay: 6/10
    Scare: 4/10
    Sound: 7/10
    Graphics: 7.5/10

I would definitely recommend playing the game. It is worth the $20 USD price. And all in all, I hope the developers will continue to create games like this, but improve from feedback. The game had far more potential. But I reckon they can bring something even greater than Outlast. They've definitely shown some great skills in their work. All in all, I support them and I'm glad I purchased the game.

If you're looking for some thrills and suspense, I highly recommend this game. It may be short and not the most in depth and interesting story. But it's definitely a game you should play at least once.
  36. Sep 19, 2013
    this is a low budget game i dont get why is this poppular it is not good at all. its graphic is OK but i seen better battle field 3) and you walk solo. what the point goind solo where is your team mates? i also dont find multiplayer option maybe they hide it? and the most annoying thing in FPS: it means FIRST PERSON SHOOTER but who you can shoot?? without guns?? srsly? i played about 4 hour but i could not pick up a single weapon no pistol in this game!! i even seen a m4a1 but couldnt pick it up! instad of this you have a camera with no use. video recorder is total useles you cant kill zonbies with it..

NEGATIVES:
    - no guns srsly this game is shame of FPS genre
    - atrocious story line
    - no achievements
    - very scary
    - no inventory
    - no weapons

ill wait for the DLC which provides me pistols and then i play this out.. but now.. i stop playing
  37. Sep 30, 2013
    I will never understand the popularity of this game. It's not Amnesia... it's not even Doom 3. It combines the gameplay of the former with the aesthetics of the latter-- exactly the *opposite* of taking the strongest part of each game. The result is a lame brown next-gen sludge that isn't scary or even creepy at all, just obnoxious and loud and distracting.

Aesthetically, the game is
    a mess. Areas are not only well-lit, but it feels like light sources have been placed specifically to guide the player through the maps. The Zombies run like Olympic athletes and there's military corpses everywhere, which your character does not loot for weapons even though he feels his life is in danger. There's piles of blood and gore that don't really make you feel anything, and everything has a mundane explanation.

The game is constantly playing super-loud panic noises instead of, you know, maybe gradually leading up to it. The much-praised "realism" works against the game, with tiny details not quite adding up right. Everything from highlights on skin to animations that are slightly out of synch. The Uncanny Valley has a place in horror, of course, but here it's applied exactly the opposite of where you want it. The characters

Meanwhile your character is a friggin' mental patient himself, rubbing his hands all over filthy walls and rusty metal you would never touch in real life. I mean he absolutely *caresses* these surfaces, in a way that no human being ever would. I don't grope all the walls as I make my way through my own house, why would I do it in a video game? It's like watching a porno for mysophiliacs.

The story constantly flops back and forth between nonexistent and forehead-smacking dumb. I'm sorry, did I call the enemies "Zombies" before? That was a mistake on my part. See, they're technically not zombies. They're just humans who have been given Captain America juice that makes them LOOK like Zombies. So, yeah. The antagonists in Outlast are actually "ugly men who want to kill you for no reason." Way to push the boundaries of creativity there.

Overall this feels like someone's Unreal Engine deathmatch project, hastily converted into what passes for "survival horror" to the Dead Space generation. Seriously, guys. Don't buy into this garbage. Play some Amnesia, play some Silent Hill. Hell, even Submachine was more of a horror game than this is. Because it sucked you in with a world that appeared superficially normal but when you started to think about it, you slowly realized that the objects making up those rooms were just... wrong. Twisted. Subverted to an outsider's purpose, ineffable but silently implied. Like everything else in the horror genre, Outlast gets this exactly backwards. They start with an overdone trope (creepy old asylum,) and then pile mutilated corpses all over the place, without ever giving you a reason to care or wonder. You never feel curious or intrigued, you never suspect there MIGHT be a scare about to happen but then it never comes. The game is so busy mashing the panic button that it stops working entirely after the first five minutes of play. You become desensitized almost immediately, and from then on the game is a rote Execution Challenge. You're basically playing pac-man in the Unreal Engine with a few dirty wallpaper textures thrown in for flavor.

This is not horror. This game is all blood and noise. If I wanted blood and noise I'd go play an action game. Red Barrels has somehow made a game that is mechanically a horror game, but which feels like a first person shooter. And in many ways, that is a much worse offense than your Resident Evil 5s and your Dead Space 3s.

Outlast says "We know all the elements that make up a good survival horror game, and we deliberately chose not to use any of them." Thanks, Red Barrels, for turning a genre that was the last bastion of legitimate emotional connection in modern gaming into a pandering gorefest. I guess this is what happens when you take all your cues from Hollywood.
  38. Sep 5, 2013
    This is a superman game. You play superman, but not as superman but as Clark Kent, the reporter. Your job is to acquire the best damn footage possible. The targets of your hunt are not very camera friendly and will all try to kill you, but it's k.
  39. Sep 5, 2013
    I am gonna say this game is as good as Amnesia. It's very atmospheric and scary game and your heart bit all the time. You feel hunted and you don't have a time to just sit and take a rest. That's how the real survival horror looks like. If you feel bored playing Amnesia....you must play Outlast and you won't regret it.
  40. Sep 6, 2013
    Authors are extremely attentive to the details. Models, animations, textures, sounds, ambient and all other parts of the game are brilliant, developers did an amazing job! You can see you body during walking when looking down. When the character moves to the wall corner or doorway, he puts a hand onto it. He breathes heavily and sobs during scary moments. Music becomes intense in a several seconds before the monster come to the room. Full and deep immersion and pure gameplay. 10 out of 10. Expand
  41. Sep 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. "Outlast" is probably one of the best horror games released in the past time, but it has its problems.

The atmosphere is pretty good, but most of the tension comes from all the crazy people surrounding you and the corpses that are ripped apart in the most disgusting ways.

People may be having another opinion on this, but I don't like that there are so many jumpscares in this game. "Amnesia: The Dark Descent" for example doesn't have this many jumpscares but is way scarier due to its amazing atmosphere.

The camera with night vision is a great idea, I like it more that lanterns or flashlights because you can take a closer look at the amazing monster design without getting found.

"Outlast" gets a bit over-violent in the end, I don't think it is necessary to put hundreds of litres of blood on the walls and the floor to make the player fear the final enemy.

The end of "Outlast" is pure in my opinion. I never like it when the main character dies at the end of a game, but in a horror game it just feels completely unnecessary. The player feels sorry for Miles because he has to go through all of this and in the end the developers think "Let's just kill Miles. That'll make a great ending!"

Even though it has it little problems and the worst game ending since Mass Effect 3, "Outlast" is a very good horror game with a good atmosphere and a deep story.
  42. Nov 19, 2013
    Read this review before rating,you might change your mind.Its FOUR hours long,when Amnesia is a whole 8 hours,or 9 if you're a completionist.Its around 20 euros on steam,when you can get Amnesia for 15.Amnesia knows how to build an atmosphere and how to play its cards,while this game only uses jumpscares.Amnesia's atmosphere was based on the spooky,dark nature of everything,the environments,the noise,the jumpscares being very few and away from eachother,its monsters,wich you have to hide from,wich really gives you the sensation that you had as a child,when the lights went off and you were afraid of monsters getting out of your closet,and the story is just perfect in all details,while Outlast's is boring.Amnesia had gameplay in the form of puzzles,wich helped you wonder what will be in front of the mysterious locked door,while Outlast only had QTEs Expand
  43. Sep 30, 2013
    Uno de los juegos que en mas tensión me ha tenido. Es increíble la forma en la que te mantiene pendiente de lo que ocurre, los alrededores EL SONIDO, el ambiente en si con todas sus aspectos gores que no hacen mas que aumentar la inmersión con la zona y su protagonista. MUY RECOMENDADOS PARA LOS AMANTES DEL TERROR Y EL HORROR.
  44. Nov 4, 2013
    Such a good game, and it really is terrifying. It's sort of like Amnesia, but with better graphics, and a bit more gruesome when it comes to the gore. I tried playing it lights off with headphones, and let me just say I jumped more times than I care to admit. It really has an interesting story that weaves a really terrifying narrative together. I found myself glued to my screen, which I felt torn about because on the flip-side of being a great story, it was also terrifying and I did have to take breaks because it was so tense.

TLDR: Great story, truly terrifying, and has a fit and finish that is really great. The graphics are top notch, and it's truly a must have if you're a fan of horror games like Dead Space 1 and the Amnesia series.
  45. Sep 9, 2013
    While Outlast is an OK game, it certainly disappointed me. It was a cool ride, but that was it. It had a creepy atmosphere early on and clearly a lot of attention was given to details, but as far as the story goes, it's a very simplistic and vague story and the game gets very repetitive. It became predictable and easy, you can take a lot of hits from enemies before dying, which takes away a lot from the fear factor. Enemies are also encountered too often, which provides for great jumpscares but not much beyond that. Couple all that with a mediocre ending and you will see why Outlast isn't a mind blowing game. It is, though, an interesting game, and if you are a fan of the survival horror genre, it's a game worth buying. If you're not into survival horror, don't bother. Expand
  46. Oct 10, 2013
    grew up in the 80s and was raised up on horror movies. loved the first silent hill and any other game that scare the beegies outta me. this game has scared the beegies outta me. fantastic graphics, wonderful wonderful controls, great atmosphere and fantastic writing and voicing. this game has wowed me and impressed me in not only the fear i have playing it but the quality of the game as well.
  47. Sep 6, 2013
    From an early age i have been watching tons of scary movies and played a lot of scary games. I guess i tempered my sense of horror and dont get scared that easily anymore. The only game i have been scared playing is Amnesia.. until now. This game is so scary that i cant play it! By reaction i press escape and find my self having a hard time getting back to the game. The camcorders night vision mode makes the atmosphere and the fact that you dont have any weapons to defend yourself makes it even more scary. The controls are good. Easy flow and i like that I can look back while running to make sure no one is following. Buy this game and a pair of undies) Expand
  48. Jan 9, 2014
    The atmosphere and sound of this game make it a true horror experience. It gives you that feeling of wanting to play to finish the game but also not wanting to play due to the fear it brings.

Slightly linear at times and repetitive objectives slightly drag down the score but well worth a go for horror fans.
  49. Sep 6, 2013
    Not gonna lie, this game is scary!! It has great atmosphere with some unique graphics and I really enjoyed the camera gimmick. Only reason it didn't get a 10 is because it was pretty short and has low replayability. But you can't go wrong with the $20 price.
  50. Sep 5, 2013
    If you don't set up your environment to immerse yourself in this game, than you are better off not playing it because that's the most critical point of horror games. I highly recommend you to play this game in dark and with headphones (surround sound support if you have it). Make sure you have the volume turned up and the gamma turned down. You will get a lot more out of the game than "cheap" jump scares. Now to review the actual game. The sounds are phenomenal, graphic is great, and the atmosphere is fantastic. The story is crazy but in a good way. I would love to see this game modded for custom stories like Amnesia. Expand
  51. Sep 6, 2013
    The ambient sound and Environment really does make this game stand out on it's own but the horror starts to disappear after the first hour. Graphics are nice as well.
  52. Sep 5, 2013
    If you liked Amnesia, this is for you! For me it is the scariest game i have ever played, but for sure you have to play it with your Headphones on and lights turned off, if you really want to slip deeper into the atmosphere. However, be warned I had to stop playing and pause at some points, because it´s so freaking scary and that is really no joke! I´m also playing with Nvidia 3D Vision (helix just added a fix at the geforce forums)... playing this game in 3D is absolutely stunning. Expand
  53. Oct 19, 2013
    I'm giving this game a 10 on the scare factor alone. The sound and graphics are on par with many triple AAA games. I have been playing the first hour of this game alone in a pitch black room with headphones and a Xbox controller. It's probably the most scared I have ever felt.

I can't play this game in a dark room by myself for more then 10 minutes at a time. Even though I feel scared
    and afraid there is a immense feeling of adrenaline and excitement that I get from playing the game. There are so many other games that try to get that feeling and fail. The way the levels are designed make the player afraid that every corner you turn and every door you open holds a surprise or something even more disturbing. The story feels like it could be based in real life and the documents you find add even more depth and detail to the background of the asylum. I have played games like F.E.A.R, Resident Evil, Dead Space 1 and 2 and I watch Walking Dead and this game blows all of those out of the water. Expand
  54. Sep 4, 2013
    For a horror game this pretty much does a great job, being a fan of Amnesia I was hoping for something along the same lines. This does many of the same things right and even throws in a few things extra, some enemies seem to linger around making me constantly look around hoping they are in the room I think they are and not behind me. I would say a great game for a very low price.
  55. Sep 6, 2013
    This game is why PC gaming is so much fun. First you need the right setup to really appreciate this game. This game works perfectly on a 3 monitor nvidia surround setup. The difference between the 3 vs 1 screen is so huge I think if you have the means, get 3 identical monitors asap. If you are smart and/or selective you can get 3 quality monitors for the price of one top of the line new one. Combine this with a surround sound system and play in completely dark room.

My wife was really excited about this one as she loves to watch me play games (especially scary games). We started last night. 30 minutes in and my usually fearless wife emoted "I just cant handle this anymore, I am freaking out over here" I also have to admit the ambience scared the heck out of me as well. Looking forward to continuing it tonight. I have not finished but so far I give this a nine out of ten if it can hold up. Brilliant game!
  56. Sep 7, 2013
    Positives -

Seen a guy streaming this on Twitch and knew after 5 minutes that I had to have it! From the get go its a enjoyable game, plenty of gore it also has that stealth feel to it you can run after being seen but if your smart you can stealth your way past aggressive enemies, which I enjoy in my games Eg. Deux Ex, Hitman. I suppose its best compared to Amnesia as that's the closest
    game I've played that matches this.

Made me jump a fun times, game is creepy and eerie through most of the journey, I wouldn't call it scary in particular, just creepy a bit gross at times and got a good few jumps in, I don't scare easily or jump for that matter and at times the game caught me completely off guard. I found the dialogue from the pair of characters you'll meet early on in the game quite disturbing and fantastic! There appearance also creeps you out haha.

Game is difficult to an degree, doesn't have assisted waypoints like a lot of games these days so you have to actually look around for yourself and figure things out. Your also unarmed and cant fight back so its about your wit cunning, running and hiding! Incase anyone wonders, you can hide in lockers and usually the A.I will seemingly pick the one your not in, they can pick the one you are in, it happened to me a few times, so I guess its random luck if they find you.

Game length & immersion, game length is good for a cheap game and longer than every AAA on the market these days, I don't know exactly how many hours I put in but I think it was in the 4-6 hours region maybe longer, I was looking everywhere and very rarely going directly to the next part of the story unless forced there by a huge guy chasing me haha, immersion wise the game does a very good job at keeping you immersed in the game, the only thing that shattered this for me was the sudden change to a sci-fi action game at the end.

Graphics are crisp and nice, the character models are well done, I didn't encounter any bugs during my play through (big plus).

Voice acting and sound effects are pretty good, the antagonist is a silent one, he writes some thoughts down on a notepad at times but doesn't have a voice, the intense breathing when he's terrified is fantastic and quivery sound coming out to show he's scared, very good mood setter. There's a little 'easter egg' I suppose that is taken from The Blair Witch Project which I did find quite enjoyable.

Plenty of documents and recordings to do to get new 'notes' from your character to read to explain how he's feeling, a.k.a easter eggs.

All in all it wasn't a bad overall gaming experience.

Negatives -

Storyline is very generic, revolves around the typical stuff you expect, some Nazi experiment from 194X has been adopted in modern times with a twist and its all gone to sh**. I'd have liked to have seen a more creative story rather than the same old stuff, the setting (an asylum) is also very generic but I felt it was a pretty good setting for what the game has.

Some of the chase scenes become predictable, music begins when the big guy who hunts you is near by even before you see him, they really should have had no music at all till he actually spots you, that way you'd get more of a surprise from bumping into him and a better atmosphere creation from the music while your running, the music doesn't start on 2 occasions, every other time it did.

Mechanics, its an Indie developed game so I don't expect stellar mechanics especially for £15 the A.I follows a rule set of following a certain path dependent on the location (room your hiding in) once you see it a few times you'll probably realize how to avoid those enemies. It didn't take away from the gaming experience for me but I can see why some people not like the predictability.

Game drops off near the end, it goes from being a horror style game then at the end it becomes more like an sci-fi action game for the last 20 minutes, it doesn't take away from the whole game experience but I felt it was a poor way to end it on.

Linear as hell, you can only take one path to the next place all other rooms and ways are just there for looks, some may contain easter eggs or battery's but the actual path you take to the end is predetermined and you cant take an alternate path.

The ending is dreadful, it really undersells the game, you'll have to play it to understand, I had a really good time with the game till the last 20 minutes and the ending it gives is a horrible way to finish it.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Overall I did enjoy the game a lot it gave me some jumps made me feel creeped out and immersed me for hours, I advise playing this game in the dead of the night in the dark. Its an indie game and a very good one at that it has its problems but its cheap price tag and good quality's outweigh those. I give it a 8/10 and look forward to a Sequel or another title of similar genre by Red Barrel!
  57. Sep 7, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. So I have been following a large amount of the Horror games being released this year and next year but there was one game that really caught my attention out of all them that wasn't as big as Amnesia. That game was Outlast, a Survival Horror game developed by Red Barrels. To those not wanting spoilers, I will do my best to avoid them and still be able to sell you on getting this game sometime in the future. So the game straight up can be played in about 6-7 hours but instead of big titles being sold for $60 for the same amount of play time, but this is a wonderful title for a low price of $20. Even for a $20 title, it has some really great executions on somethings such as interesting government documents, a main character who somewhat has a personality with his writings but are only jotted down when your camera is out, and even for some great animations for your character (IE hand against the corner of the wall when standing so close to it or on the ground when you're crouching). Voice acting ranges from decent to pretty dang good when it comes to putting that worried/scared feeling into you as you play (great example is Trager). The scares, even if these most likely be opinionated, are there; too bad it slows down immensely around the middle of the game. No bugs witnessed during my first playthrough of the game so it must be stuff that you have to break on purpose which will be easier said than done. Now while I really enjoyed the game, there were some things I didn't like as much or wish was different. While the environment is great, you're only witnessed to different area here and there (you'll get about a couple of minutes outside in the courtyard or in a theater until you're put back on the linear hallways that look the same as the last). The lack of female models in the game is strange as well seeing that there are female characters mentioned in the game and the fact that you go to the female ward. The big hulk-ish guy seems to be everywhere and even though it's good that he becomes your enemy until the very end, it would have been great for different ones to appear because Trager and Billy had too short of camera time. The ending was pretty generic but still decent. Finally though, for a lot of people this game will not be "scary" to them. During the whole game, I felt more nerves and uneasy about continue because I was worried of dying. There were only a couple of parts that seriously scared me but the same jump scares were started to be used during the mid parts of the game. I would classify it more as a Thriller in place of the Horror title but there are people who are scared by a lot of things in the game (IE pitch darkness, claustrophobia, blood, etc.). Some bland models being overused a lot and a few bad textures but it's not really that noticeable.

In the end though, this game is a wonderful game to pick up for the price range. The downsides to this game would definitely be something major for a $60 title, but from a new developer it is a wonderful introduction to gaming. Was not disappointed in the buy whatsoever and was a decent competitor (even if it doesn't win) for Amnesia.

PS: The broken camera screen looks way too amazing! I spent like 10-15 minutes praising it!
  58. Sep 8, 2013
    One of the most scariest games I have ever played. The fear factor is not as great as Amnesia the Dark Descent, the fear factor gets too repetitive halfway into the game. The graphics are beautiful and so are the camera effects. I love the story and its have a very well story driven game play.
  59. Sep 28, 2013
    I am going to say two things, as in terms of did I play it a long time and beat it? No- I couldn't play more then 30 minutes, however this is because I am a wienie and it Scared the hell out of me, so since their goal was to scare people they did great scared the crap out of me to the point I could no longer play lol great job guys!
  60. Sep 28, 2013
    I love the horror genre of gaming and this title did not disappoint. From the moment you step into that god forsaken asylum, your fear and panic takes root. The design and graphics were something I would expect from games costing 3x as much. For those players who said the fear effects were repetitive or played out obviously didn't play the game in the dark with head phones on as suggested (and probably had their gamma turned way up). From beginning to end this gem of a game grabbed me by the throat and did not let go. I had to stop playing multiple times as it would become too intense. Thank you Red Barrels for a great, if not the best ever horror survival title. I am eagerly awaiting Outlast 2!! Expand
  61. Oct 10, 2013
    This game is such a lazy attempt at horror. Make it all pretty and then throw in some really nasty guards to patrol and let the user run right past them.
    Walk here, dodge patrol, repeat.
    Its predictable.
  62. Oct 16, 2013
    Survival horror is by far my favorite genre of all time. To put it simply, it's the amount of emotion, mystery, psychological terror, fear, and dread that games like Silent Hill and Amnesia are able to yield to such an incredible amount in order to provide a serious psychological challenge. That being said, after playing Outlast, I can not wait to see how the survival horror genre will evolve. I really hope that future survival horror game developers take tips from Outlast because I sincerely believe that this game is the current head hauncho of horror! Outlast constantly kept me on the edge of my seat had my senses on fire from beginning to end. Outlast is a fantastic survival horror game. I can't wait to see what will happen next.. Expand
  63. Oct 29, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Outlast is easily the best horror game I have ever played, better than "Amnesia A Machine For Pigs" in my opinion! Still gives me goosebumps even after I've completed the game, I would definitely Recommend it to anyone who wants to have nightmares about Insane Lunatics and Ghosts Ripping your organs out, not to mention a Big Fat Afghanistan guy chasing you around an Asylum. Did I mention this Contains Spoilers? Expand
  64. Nov 5, 2013
    I never heard about this game but it looked nice so i bought to test it... Well... Actually i never played such a good terror game, this is definitelly the scariest game i ever played... The graphics are incredible, the gameplay is also very good, im running it with a gtx660 on maximum. if you want AA, you have to use the NVIDIA control panel to activate on the game. Worths every cent!!!!
  65. Sep 16, 2013
    For anyone enjoying Amnesia, Penumbra or other FPS horror games get this game. I just finished it and it kept me constantly freaking out. A story that isn't that well told via files you find scattered here and there. The only "weapon" you have is your camcorder, which gives you the ability to see in the light, but not for an extended period since it drains AAA-batteries (like an iPhone) and you've got replenish them by finding them also scattered around, though in short supply.

It's just a great game. I really recommend it to anyone who like games like Amnesia, Penumbra, perhaps the Resident Evil, Silent Hill series or others like them. BUT what differentiates this game from RE or SH is that you have to RUN and HIDE. No way to fight back.

Just... get this game and see for yourself.
  66. Mar 26, 2014
    The atmosphere and visuals are very well done, and lend greatly to the overall experience of the game. As a veteran to horror titles, however, I found the 'horror' aspect of the game to be somewhat lacking. Outlast certainly has it's share of creepy moments and well timed jump scares and is still a great game overall, but beyond the polish it felt as though something more was missing.

My one real gripe with the game is that the vast majority of enemies you encounter in the game all follow a similar 'search and chase' AI that takes little effort to outsmart, which greatly detracts from the immersion and fear of evading and escaping them. There were also several times throughout the game when the "activate X number of things while evading a patrol" mechanic was used, all of which boiled down to performing the exact same "stay out of sight and move when they move" tactic, which took away from the overall experience for me. There were also a few times where I would become more frustrated than frightened over trying to deal with and evade enemies as I progressed.

All of that said however, Outlast is still a very satisfying game to play, and is worth the asking price. Gameplay is smooth and fluid, character interaction with the environment is an uncommon and welcome touch, and the night vision mechanic is implemented very well. While it's not a game I would play through again, I certainly recommend it to anyone looking for another title in the horror genre to keep them occupied.
  67. Xon
    Sep 13, 2013
    Since I have very limited free time I prefer games that offer a great experience for 6 12 hours. This game takes less than 5 but it has all the right components to validade the entrance fee.
  68. May 25, 2014
    Good game, an actually good looking scary game, not many are like that. This game does not do a lot of cheap jump scares even though it has a few, the scares most comes from the environment it creates, it has so much tension that the first 2 or 3 hours of play will likely to be broken down into 40minute sessions so you can take a break in between.

The games main problem is that it loses
    its scare about half way in, you are no longer as frightened and do not feel as vulnerable, because evading the enemy is not too difficult, and that a close up on an enemy's deformed face really loses the scare, because no matter how scary and menacing the enemy, it is not as scary as the unknown, the shadow, a sound etc...

But overall, a lot of fun and scares, especially considering that its a new studio and an indie game.
  69. Sep 24, 2013
    Get a 2560 monitor or larger, make sure you only play at night with all the lights off (not even a candle or any ambient light if possible), stick some decent headphones on, make sure there are no distractions, and get READY for THE SCARIEST GAME EVER MADE. I don't say that lightly either, being a veteran of the first Amnesia game, FEAR games and several Resident Evil titles, as well as Alan Wake and Slender etc.. The amount of times I literally jumped and had difficulty continuing forward was unprecedented for me. Ok, I admit that after a few hours or so the fear-factor subsides a bit, but still the tension and surprises continue. This is an excellent example of how horror and survival can be blended expertly into a game that does the best job I've ever seen of re-creating how it must feel to actually be in a horror movie. Ok, the story of medical experimentation and a hideous secrets in an old asylum won't win awards for novelty, but it terms of its FPS platforming-stealth/survival-horror gameplay it raises the bar I think. When you walk through a pool of blood you even leave footprints, and can see your hand and body, hear your heart-thumping and breathing. The camera, being your almost sole source of light at times, works wonderfully too. The cat and mouse games with the inmates though, as well as the fidelity and atmosphere of the environment, and constant good level-design choices is what has pushed this game up the list for me as a contender for non-AAA game of the year. I hate to say this, but please punish us some more with some sequels or DLC! Expand
  70. Oct 10, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. There are very few reasons why I didn't give this game a 10/10.

One is that by the time you get to the last parts of the game, it's no longer scary.
    Also the game could have exploited some ideas way better, for example (SPOILER) when the main character loses the camera, they could have done more things there to make you suffer, instead you find the camera kinda fast and it's kinda ''meh''.
    The other thing is the plot twist at the end. (WARNING MORE SPOILERS) So you get into this asylum full of crazy dangerous people... and in the end it turns out its some spooooooooky ghost? What the f***? That was very disappointing to me BUUUUT other than that, the game is gold.

Scariest game I've played IN YEARS, plus some extra points for the mention of the MK Ultra experiments, nice stuff.
  71. Feb 25, 2014
    Really horrifying. I like to play horror games but not this one. This one tortures my soul. Nonetheless I really enjoyed it. The atmosphere is so scary. The creatures too. And if you think they are not very scary, I would agree with you. But I think the developers don't want this game to become deadly, they just wanted it to be deadly scary. And hell yes. I screamed about 20 times during play, six were very loud. I think the neighbours heard me. I was scared to death. I've completed the bloody game. But no thanks. I don't want to do this again. Expand
  72. Oct 21, 2013
    Quite possibly the best horror game I've ever played. I was genuinely terrified throughout most of this game. My only real criticism is the ending which was far too abrupt. The rest of the game was extremely atmospheric and made to very high standards.

I really enjoyed the use of the video camera which can record certain events and help you to see in the dark. In fact, the night vision
    on the camera is the most realistic I've ever seen in a video game.

There were several jump scares but the real scares came during the moments when the unpredictable AI was hunting me. The sound design is another great aspect of this game. It made the scary parts even more scary and helped alleviate some of the cheesy-ness of the jump scares.

All in all, a fantastic game with a great flare for the survival horror genre. Amnesia is in trouble.
  73. Sep 14, 2013
    If you are ever constipated just play this game, kidding, but with joking aside it was a really horrifying game. I was only able to play it for an hour at a time cause I would get so stressed and freaked out. The atmosphere is perfect, voice acting is perfect...everything about the game is perfect. Without giving away the ending, I will say that it was the perfect ending and a good twist. The only problem I have with the game is that I wish it was much longer., but that is such a minor complaint that I don't think it should effect it's overall score. If you like horror games then definitely go and buy this, worth every penny. Expand
  74. Sep 8, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I cant bash this game entirely. I know there are people who are just never satisfied with anything and will give this game 0's because...well...they have no life.

What did I want out of this game? I want horror, I wanted shock factor. What did I get? Both.

I launched outlast at about 2 a.m. in the morning. The game at first had some very interesting storyline? You play a reporter who enters an asylum full of maniacs and your objective from the time you walk in is to escape. (I could have told him that from the start). But, in terms of storyline this is where things fell apart, as you spend more time trying to figure out how to escape areas rather than knowing what you are doing (storywise). And the game does this, you're having fun running around escaping, hiding, sneaking around corners but you never really know whats going on other than, "dont die." Near the end you end up where you started in an elevator just about to make your grand escape from the asylum and then all the sudden the controls on the elevator go bonkers and you wind up in a arctic tunnel? It just makes no sense. Then you are assigned an objective from a scientist to take a clone off life support, you get herded by some random ghosts and then supposedly you become one.

ending spoiler:
    so as you approach the doors walking cripple because you are overtaken by this ghost, a swat team followed by the scientist you talked to earlier comes out and shoots you. you die but supposedly the ghost who took over your body comes out and kills them all. the end.

this is the problem I have with the game: The game should have ended with the reporter escaping on the correct floor of the elevator and something should have happened right when he got into his car. (i.e. someone like a person from the asylum scares him from the back seat of his suv?) or they should have made him escape some how completely and then put a creepy twist. Instead as you scroll down the elevator the developers said "screw this" were going to take this guy down a artic tunnel...which just makes no sense at all.

You enter an asylum.You get confronted by a supposedly priest. The priest dies. You try to escape the asylum. You enter an ice cave. You become a ghost. You die. The ghost lives and kills everyone.

The game is fun and gets you on your toes at times but the story just makes no sense, the game is also very short, takes less than a day to beat it. $20 is a justified price I think.

8/10: its fun and will make you pounce for sure.but story is lacking. cool game mechanics like holding a camera with a 2.4 aperture which makes for very shallow depth of field. the characters are not so scary, I wouldnt say the game is entirely scary or psychological scare like some famous horror games but it is a ton better than crap like amnesia or any other horror game thats come out within the past 5 years.
  75. Sep 10, 2013
    Just finishes the game. well all I can say is I was scared almost completely through the whole game which is a pretty hard thing to do. So it was well worth the price of admission. My hat is off to the makes of this game.
  76. Sep 19, 2013
    The atmosphere in this game is amazing,so is the sound and the graphics are very well made, I have played about 2 hours and cant stop. Most horror games now are horrific... this is a very well made and has a lot of small details that add to the experience, you should buy this.
  77. Oct 11, 2013
    Its a great game never played a game so intense. You really feel scared and i couldnt play it for a long time without taking a break. They did a real good job. So if you like horror survival games like Amnesia and want to experience something new you should get this game. Unfortunately i read a spoiler on IGN and that ruined the ending for me. Shame on you IGN for not removing it! But nevertheless like many others i didnt like it much anyway. Also for the sequel a little more challenge and variation. Expand
  78. Dec 12, 2013
    I don't have a lot of experience with these survival horrors and it's not usually the sort of game I would bother with. Gameplay was satisfying despite not being able to shoot/kill anything or anyone and while it was scary it parts, you get the feeling that it could have been executed a lot better because you kind of know when something scary is about to happen too predictable.
    A major
    issue for me was performance. It don't see why it needed to eat so many frames, it didn't look that amazing to me. Expand
  79. Sep 8, 2013
    Exactly what I wanted from the game. Its not your pants scary, but the atmosphere and setting do a good job of maintaining a creepy vibe throughout the whole game (which is only about 4-5 hours btw). The game does a little repetitive by the end but that should not stop anyone from experiencing this amazing game.
  80. Dec 7, 2013
    Best horror game around. The map is huge, and the graphics are great. Hiding, sprinting, crouching, jumping, sliding, etc. are all flawless and make for great evasions. The scares did wear off a little bit near the end. I actually didn't like the ending. You never know what will happen next. Get Outlast!
  81. Nov 17, 2013
    Nice game with great atmosphere of fear. For many players it would be really terrifying. But it really lacks some puzzles, just go there and do than with no getting killed. So gameplay gets really repetitive and boring after some play time. And the ending really lacks something. It is a bit Good game, but it could be better,
  82. Sep 8, 2013
    This review contains spoilers. Great and very scary game! If you like updated graphics, set in modern year, great jumpscares, great sound effects, epic nice gameplay..Nothing bad in game, but it is bit short game.
    Pros:
    Very scary game, graphics, sound effects, gameplay, no combat, nice story
    Cons:
    Bit short game, repetitious bosses...

Total: 9 score. Its nice game and worth the money.
  83. Sep 21, 2013
    I just finished this game, It was an amazing experience with an awesome atmosphere for every moment. It had plenty of moments which scared the crap out of me but it was too much fun to stop playing. Easily one of the best horror games around. Thank you Red Barrels Games for making this experience possible and I hope for many more games from this company.
  84. Oct 25, 2013
    The scariest horror game i've ever played. Seriously, I do not know of a single horror game that's this scary. (and yes i've played Amnesia and Slender, Slender is terrible.)
  85. Sep 11, 2013
    Best Horrorgame, that I've played in a long time. It takes everything Amnesia Dark Descent made right and expands it to the better. The night-vision of the camera looks unbelievable real and the story is so deep and sometimes also ugly (good ugly ).
    This game is worth buying!
  86. Sep 8, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Outlast is okay so far, I had fun with it.
    The atmosphere and the story are good, but in my opinion it isn't really scary, I had no "jumpscares" or so.
    I think 6/10 is fair enough.
  87. Dec 6, 2013
    First of all. GREAT! All i could ever want of this game would be MORE. This is a psychological horror, burying deep down into your mind and F*cks with it. Roughly.
    There are 3 things that makes a game great.

1. Gameplay. Is the gameplay easy to control? is it easy maneuvering in the world? Yes. everything feels smooth, and fluid. this also includes possibilities and interactivity.
    atmosphere is also included here. Outlast nails all of them.

2. Plot. Is it a good story? Do you WANT to complete the objectives? What motivates you? well, yes. first, i felt pretty drawn forward by the fact that i was scared sh!tless. And also, you develop a personal hate to the bossing psychopaths in the asylum. So killing them brutally becomes the extreme wish. this is where the game wins.

3. Engine. Graphics, sounds, animations. 4-5 here. but for the price, i'm not disappointed.

First, play amnesia. Then play this. you'll love it if you loved amnesia. i'd even prefer this over amnesia

Best horror game. EVER.
  88. Sep 24, 2013
    Didn't actually play it; watched Pewdiepie's playthrough.
    Even so, really enjoyed the gameplay and the end was pretty satisfactory. Interesting stuff, recommend you get it if you're not scared easily (or if you are).
  89. Feb 5, 2014
    This game was a total waste of money for me. I expected a different, though still fine tuned atmosphere in concert with the music as Amnesia The Dark Descent. I was thoroughly disappointed. This game is made of cheap scares to the fullest. Being set in an Asylum is already far from original for a terror game. The same plot than so many games about a uber evil corporation doing experiments blah you know the drill. Almost ALL scares I had where predicted before hand: "Oh this door is closed, I bet there will be a 5000db sound that will scare me to death." Every every time it happened. Seriously go buy Amnesia the dark descent instead of this veteran-made mainstream unoriginal terror game. Expand
  90. Sep 20, 2013
    I actually really liked this game, it makes you dig for the back-story and can be a little repetitive but it's not that terrible. I though the controls were great and it had a little bit of creepy lore. The visuals were amazing, as well as the graphics, especially for an indie game. Red Barrels did an amazing job and gave us, well my favorite indie horror game since Amnesia: The Dark Descent, and I don't see why some people didn't like it. Well no I take that back, the game might just not be for some people, but I think most people underrate the game very badly and for an indie game it looks, plays and controls great and has a very creepy atmosphere. You will also need patience to play this game because it can be slow paced at times and I think people lack that along with no combat, I can see why some cough *COD* type player might not like it. Expand
  91. Dec 31, 2013
    With a influx of action horror games or lack luster "horror" games example Machine For Pigs, it's wonderful to see a breath of fresh air. The game is the BEST horror game to come out, excellent atmosphere, interesting story and some great characters. Simply fantastic.

For a more in depth review here's my video http://youtu.be/Aets5kSayd8
  92. Sep 16, 2013
    This game is what Amnesia could've been. When I think about my favorite horror titles from all time, I think about Silent Hill 2, Penumbra Black Plague and now this one. This review is going to be made with comparisons to Amnesia the Dark Descent, as it is claimed to be one of the best horror games of all time, while I try to justify the score of 8/10.

The setting is an Asylum, which is
    slightly overplayed in horror but there haven't actual horror games I've played in the past decade that actually happen in it's entirety within one and it follows the rules of horror splendidly. Anyone can die at any time, including the protagonist. Bad things will happen to him and, although the ending was horrid, it still fit within the archetype of a horror story which made me appreciate it.

The story is rather straightforward and somewhat clichéd. A company has reopened a massive asylum and has been performed not so ethical treatments within it that eventually go wrong. You are a journalist who's going to expose the company by breaking into the Asylum with only your wits and your trusty camera. Bad idea.

So what does Outlast do right, what does it do wrong, and why is it scary? I'll try to explain this in as much detail as possible.

The first comparison I will draw to Amnesia will happen right here, monster patrols. In Outlast, monster appearances are scripted, which is okay. The game is linear, the developers know where the player will come from and what his objective will be, they predict what they are going to do and react accordingly by preparing a nasty inmate to scare the balls out of you. This is done right in some instances, wrong in others. It's done wrong when you complete an objective and a monster just starts knocking at the closed door to break into where you are, and because you already expected this from playing all sorts of horror games were already hidden in the locker making it ineffective. It does it right when you get to an illuminated area thinking you're safe and the guy is actually hiding in the darkness in the distance, fully capable of seeing you and running at you. If you manage to escape and hide, and therefore not die because you have no means of defending yourself, he will eventually go away. Amnesia, does exactly the same thing, but this is where A.I. Behavior differs. The insane men of Outlast will keep patrolling a scripted path back and forth sometimes reacting to sound, sometimes not, while the monsters of Amnesia will wander off and eventually disappear once the music queue for monsters stops playing. Outlast manages to be scarier within this aspect, because the monsters are present and might catch you again, making you have to be on your toes constantly.

The game is DARK. There is no 'dark vision' besides the night vision of your camera which in itself is horrible. This is not a bad thing. The lack of visibility makes the player more anxious, mainly if you can hear the guy who's out to kill you. You don't know where he is, and if you run into him face first you won't expect it. A careful player, who uses his camera correctly, might be able to go through the entire game without triggering any of the non-scripted encounters. But even then your heart will be pumping the entire time as the game pulls some unexpected tricks on you. Like a patient who's on a bed starts screaming calling the mad surgeon who's out to kill you to that location.

Hiding spots aren't always effective, not even when a monster's seen you going into a room and closing the door to break line of sight. For the first half of the game you feel relatively safe when you see a hiding place but eventually the baddies will get smarter and actually check these places, making nowhere really safe. The player is never safe, and the game conveys this message splendidly in the second half as according to the rules of horror.

However, I believe the enemies are slower than you, only having heard of a friend of mine being caught while escaping from a baddie and getting instantly killed. Because you can always escape, there is less tension than in Amnesia where the grunts were always faster. But, they balance this out by actually checking hiding spots as I've mentioned earlier. If you're running in a panic for a long time you're liable to make mistakes that will kill you.

Graphically the game is just fine. I'm not a man who puts a lot of emphasis on graphics so I can't objectively tell the reader how good they are, the only thing actually bothering me in the game was how from a certain point to the very end, the blood on the main character's hands was always a wet texture. I understand that he never gets time to do anything about it, but the other explanation would be that he'd die from blood loss.

OverallI rate the game an 8/10, a good game in the horror genre. It makes the same mistakes as some of it's predecessors, but brings with it some changes that might scare a gamer who's experienced in the genre.
  93. Sep 7, 2013
    What can I say? A beautiful, gorgeous I would say game! For such a game the graphics were astonishing and the engine extremely powerful. Not to mention the plot of course. The plot was brilliant! And what an ending! WOW. I was starring at the PC monitor! How much work and what detail. We had a lot of time to see a woth-playing horror game like this.

The negative scores were given due to
    Amnesia. A lot of gamers have surely played it and found it terrifying. We have also seen Markiplier, Pewdiepie, etc playing it so when this game was released the bad critics were bound to this. The hide and seek, jump scares and stuff were similar to that. I dont get it though. There is are hundreds of similarities between horror games. Let us not forget that this is why they're called horror games.

They other thing that botherd me were the bad-plot comments. Really? I mean yes at the beginning you already knew what was going to happen. The power's out let's go downstairs to fix it.... (Don't want to spoil the fun) My point is that you know what you're going to face from stage 1. Well...not exactly. I mean that you already know you're getting yourself into trouble. So, if you know what follows then dump the game dont play it. And don't dare, I mean it, dont dare write anything negative about the game if you have played 10 minutes of it.

Overall, it was a fantastic experience and it worths every penny. I would say 5-6 hours of gameplay or more I am not so sure. A wonderful experience and spooky till death. Sometimes you won't be able to see in the darkness and screaming sounds will make you helpless. You can't just simply close the game as it lures you into the story more and more so you become one with the poor journalist.

Buy this game!
  94. Sep 7, 2013
    It surely isn't the perfect game, but it's very unique and intense in it's own way. I love the horror genre, and especially the survival horror genre. I was waiting for such a game for a very long time and the wait was worth it. This game is scary, it's intense, it's messing with your mind. You are in constant fear when you walk the corridors with your night-vision that has like a 1m sight in front of you. Like I said, it isn't the perfect game. It has its flaws. Especially the mission design and the repeating enemy scenarios don't really live up to the great atmosphere this game has. What bothered me personally, was that the game was a tad too easy. Surviving 4-5 hits and finding batteries every 2 minutes didn't feel satisfying. But still these flaws didn't take away the experiance. Especially in the first hour this game grabs you and just doesn't want to let you go. The atmosphere is on the Amnesia level, and I have to admit that I never played a game more frightening and sweltering than this game. Especially for it's price it's worth a buy any day. I can only recommend this great piece of art, and I really hope there's more to come! Expand
  95. Sep 8, 2013
    Outlast is a first person horror game made from Red Barrel, that consists of ex-employees from EA and Ubisoft. You are a journalist who gets stuck in a mental asylum where there is deformed people and other things creeping in the night. On this game, much like Amnesia, you have to avoid the enemies because you cannot fight back, but that is where the similarities end.

Outlast has
    inspiration from the film REC, where you use a camcorder's night vision to see the creatures trying to find you in the dark. If you are in a dark the night vision comes in handy, because you can see the creatures, but they cannot see you. The night vision though has it cons. For one your field of view is lower so you cannot see as much, the batteries die fairly quickly so you need to look for more, and the creatures eyes glow when looking in your direction. The game adds all of this to make it quite terrifying. This game does not let up either you are constantly be tracked down or chased. You would think seeing these creatures again and again would make it less scary, but no, it never loses it's fear factor.

The controls and fluidity of your characters movement also feel great. The controls are quite simple, but feel at home on the mouse and keyboard. The level layout is great as well with so many hiding areas and long creepy hallways to keep the tension up. The movement of your character and his controls have much inspiration from Mirrors Edge. You can leap over tables and bars and slam doors shut behind you to slow your pursuers, or hiding under a bed. When being chased you can use items to block doors, which can be used against you as well. You might be being chased and the door you need to go through is being blocked by a heavy object, that when it is being push slowly out of the way you can hear the voices and clamping of feet coming up behind you.

Outlast is up there with horror games like Amnesia and Slender when it comes to sheer terror. Yet has its own style that is unique to horror titles. This is one game that does not let up from beginning to end. The terror starts almost at the very beginning and does not end until the end credits. This is a horror title to be remembered.
  96. Sep 8, 2013
    A proper Survival Horror. Music, Sounds, Graphics, Atmosphere, all in one to make you pass a really bad time. You will feel pursued all the way, even if there is nothing behind you.
    Do you like R.E.C and Paranormal Activity films? This is your game then.

Total 8/10
  97. Sep 11, 2013
    This game is awsome about ghrapics,horror story and more.This game is more better then I think.This is the best horror game in the world and the universe.
  98. Sep 20, 2013
    Truly one of the best psychological horror games ever made.

Storyline: Scary as it may be, I was quite confused with the story. The story produced so many possibilities that I did not know what I'm up against until the last quarter of the game. But all-in-all, the story was still good. All it needs is a little effort to understand.

Quality/Appearance: Perfectly detailed to give a
    realistic and a horrifying atmosphere. There are two specific things that I would like to praise from Outlast. First, if something gets cut-offed, it remains cut-offed for the rest of the game. Second, unlike most FPS games, you can actually see your lower body if you look down! The great thing about Outlast is that it pays attention to the small details. Don't understand what I'm saying? Good because I don't like spoiling. Although I might have, just a little bit.

Music/Sounds: Orchestrated to effectively induce shivers and suspense. Like most horror games, if the music suddenly rises in tune or changes its mood, you would know that it's your cue to run. And you will definitely run.

Gameplay: Outstanding. Outlast is genuinely realistic to the point that the gameplay reminds you that the character you're playing is just a simple human being who happens to be caught in a horrible situation and just wants to escape. How? You're weak and you don't have the ability to fight mutilated mad men so you just hide and run. That's the most normal reaction you can get from a frightened person.

Horror score: A truck-full of WTFs, OMGs, and an encyclopedia of curses.. And 9 pairs of pants that has sh*t.

Conclusion: Kudos to the developers. Outlast is definitely one of the best games of 2013 and you'll definitely miss out if you don't play it.
  99. Sep 17, 2013
    This game is polished and well crafted, the controls are intuitive, the gameplay is fluid, the gameplay is also horrifying. I can't even get into finishing this game, heads up, it's scary. If you're into scary things and being brave, this is your cup of tea. It's like a bravery training sim for real life. The game also switches up on you unlike amnesia later into the game, so it dosn't become terribly tedious, all the hiding and avoiding bad guys dosn't grow so stale so quickly, if you like horror games where you can't defend yourself, this is your time to buy. As far as survival-horror games go this is at least a 8 or 9 out of ten. Expand
  100. Le-
    Sep 21, 2013
    Not scary. Could have been if the self-proclaimed "seasoned developers" of the game actually tried to make a decent horror game.

I love horror games. I play them every day. When I saw the trailer for Outlast and read the back story, I was intrigued and eager. Eager to buy. Eager to be scared.

Installed and started playing right when it became available on Steam. I immediately noticed
    the smoothness in controls and zooming in and out with the camera added a touch of realism, immediately drawing me in even closer. This was short lived. As soon as started exploring the Asylum things got repetitive quickly. It's not that I do not like body parts and blood t all over the place or asylums, there was just something about Outlast's environments that were painfully familiar. And that's when it really it me. Throughout my entire play through, there was something that was just bothering me, gnawing at me at the back of my mind every time I thought about how much I had spent on it. Many moments in outlast felt like they were just copy and pasted from other mainstream horror media. Expand
  101. Sep 8, 2013
    Pros:
    Very scary game, graphics, sound effects, gameplay, no combat, nice story
    Cons:
    Bit short game, repetitious bosses...

Total: 9 score. Its nice game and worth the money.

1. Feb 21, 2014
    A game that is not as innovative as you would hope. It is very old school. Nevertheless, this is a real horror-game and we can guarantee that you will freak out. It may be old school, but it is still a very good game that will blow you away.
  2. Dec 5, 2013
    This is probably the most horrifying experience in videogames, ever!
  3. Oct 31, 2013
    On one side, you have linear gameplay, at times simplistic game design and plenty of clichés. On the other – an exciting opportunity to star in a very cool horror ‘movie’.