8.1

1. Oct 22, 2010
    Overlord 2 is really not a bad game, but I didn't like it at all. Let me summarize what you should expect. If you think this does not bother you, go ahead.

||-> The controls are awful. After sending minions or sweeping them, the games sometimes does not recognize that you stopped pressing the mouse buttons. So the camera follows the minions (if you're lucky! Sometimes the camera just
    faces a wall) and the recall buttons does not work. This can easily kill you or your minions. Those flawed controls made me sometimes loose over 30 minutes of playing (because I like to explore a lot), and you can only save at check points(!).

||-> While the cursor moves precisely on the interface, the focus is not always on the item you're pointing at. Double-clicking sometimes works, but sometimes you choose the wrong item. Also, there are no tool tips.

||-> Overlord 1 had a really nice black humorous charm. DO NOT expect the same in Overlord 2. The new Overlord IS EVIL. You cannot be a good-natured evil ruler anymore. Also, don't expect funny stereotypes like a gluttonous halfling or an arrogant paladin. The characters in Overlord 2 are embarrassing at best (gay elven stoners) and flat as they come. The story, and especially the ending, is an insult to the audience.

||-> As in Overlord 1, you can forge items, but unfortunately now the recipes are fixed. Also, the game tells you how many resources you need to forge it, but completely omits info on how much damage the weapon does or how much protection the new armor gives you. This is especially annoying, because there is no arena anymore, where you could test your gear, or farm new life force. Since the powerful items also need "Dark crystals" (which is a finite resource), you cannot really experiment with your equipment anymore. Same goes for minion upgrades. Maybe it was in the manual (which I did not read, of course), but apart from "Your minions are now stronger" I found no info on what they do.

||-> Well, and there are lots of frustrating rough edges. If you let your minions carry two items at once, they might get stuck and trap you in a dead end. In the missions where you have to kill/subdue all 100 villagers, they might get stuck in their houses. In one of these missions, some of the villagers are hostile (and placed among other enemies) making it _very_ hard to subdue them. After a cut-scene, the game tends to place you and your minions in the worst possible spot, even if you were somewhere safe before. Sometimes your minions attack an enemy, but don't actually hit it (you can see this with barrels) and consequently get slaughtered. This is very annoying if you had to sweep mounted minions to take out an officer who was out of your reach. Or stupid things like: as soon as you get mounts for the reds which allow them to move AND shoot, you have to fight against a new kind of archers who ALWAYS hit their target, even if it moves, completely defeating the new ability of your reds.

I decided to finish the game to keep my future self from trying again in a couple of months. But I can tell you now that if you started playing and at some point have to force yourself to continue playing: don't. The game is not for you, and it does not get better towards the end. On the other hand, if you don't mind the above, Overlord 2 is a nice sequel with improved graphics (though I preferred the cartoon look of Overlord 1) and a bunch of nice new ideas, like mounts, catapults, boats, and being able to possess your minions. A a few of the jokes are actually really hilarious.

Overlord 2 offers a lot of options for customization, be it in the form of minion upgrades, spell specializations, and purely aesthetic options like how to decorate your fortress and which of your mistresses you choose to favor.
  2. Overlord II could do many things better, but its delightfully malicious humor is without compare. Do yourself a favor and buy this game.
  3. Overlord 2 is a solid sequel of the first one, a game that surprised many people thanks to its charm and originality. Now, the surprise factor is gone, but Triumph Games has made wise improvements over the weakest elements of their previous work, which makes this an enjoyable experience and a recommended title.