6.4

1. Nov 19, 2012
    In my view, this is the second best game in the Painkiller series. The graphics seem much more complex and visual than the earlier versions. Also, the story line is more entertaining...similar to Painkiller Overdose (my number 1 Painkiller). Hell/Damnation even includes an attractive and sexy young lady with an obvious biblical reference. The down sides to Hell/Damnation are; (1)In my view, this is the second best game in the Painkiller series. The graphics seem much more complex and visual than the earlier versions. Also, the story line is more entertaining...similar to Painkiller Overdose (my number 1 Painkiller). Hell/Damnation even includes an attractive and sexy young lady with an obvious biblical reference. The down sides to Hell/Damnation are; (1) limited weapons compared with Overdose;(2) ridiculous AI players. Skeleton with a pumpkin head is not interesting. All in all, if you're a Painkiller fan, this game is worth adding to your collection. Expand
  2. Sep 14, 2013
    Painkiller: Hell & Damnation is a great game. But I can't help but wonder what exactly Nordic Games have created besides porting People Can Fly's original game. Some aspects have actually worsened, like the vs multiplayer and the horrible use of cutting out content and reselling it as DLC.
  3. Nov 3, 2012
    Painkiller Hell & Damnation basically is a good game. But should you buy it ? the answer is a straight no. Mostly this game is recommended for the Fans of the series otherwise the Black Edition is still a better choice for those who never played Painkiller before. Hell & Damnation is not offering anything worth 20$ except an upgrade to UE3 and Multiplayer. The campaign runs only 3 to 5Painkiller Hell & Damnation basically is a good game. But should you buy it ? the answer is a straight no. Mostly this game is recommended for the Fans of the series otherwise the Black Edition is still a better choice for those who never played Painkiller before. Hell & Damnation is not offering anything worth 20$ except an upgrade to UE3 and Multiplayer. The campaign runs only 3 to 5 hours long and unfortunately about 20 levels were removed compare to the original version. Overall, this game worth about 10 dollar only when there are games such as DOOM BFG edition ( only 10 dollar more and it offers full 5 campaign) or even HD remakes of Serious Same. You better stop and c whether the developers may release a FREE DLC of missed levels and then buy it, otherwise 20 $ for only 3-4 hour is smt stupid Expand
  4. Dec 9, 2012
    I'm not calling myself a Painkiller fan but I had some fun with it and official add-on back in it's release days. Howevever, H&D feels like a let down. Few levels which follows in mostly random sequence, level design stuck in 2004 and visuals have no changes at all exept for updated engine and some texture work. Good-loking weapons, John St. John as voice actor and better textures onI'm not calling myself a Painkiller fan but I had some fun with it and official add-on back in it's release days. Howevever, H&D feels like a let down. Few levels which follows in mostly random sequence, level design stuck in 2004 and visuals have no changes at all exept for updated engine and some texture work. Good-loking weapons, John St. John as voice actor and better textures on enmies are good but they do not outweigh overall dissatisfaction from the game. Also, it's like uber short and SP took me 5 hours on Nighmare to beat with plenty of checkpoint restarts and few secrets found. It feels good at times, but nothing more. Expand
  5. Jun 24, 2013
    The graphics are spectacular, but otherwise, there's no reason to upgrade from Black edition to Hell and Damnation. I really enjoyed the early Painkiller games, and I like H&D, it's just that there isn't much more to offer here than you've already played in its predecessors. If you've never played Painkiller at all, I recommend H&D; otherwise, don't bother.
  6. Apr 5, 2013
    Besides the story, which is very poor, the game is average in all categories. For $4.99 (Steam sale), it was worth it. There will be countless mindless enemies rushing at you with melee weapons. This is the developer's intent and not because of poor AI. This is a fun arcade type of game, but not worth the full price.
  7. Jun 16, 2013
    This Painkiller sequel is good for the fans, and though it captures the fast-paced, action packed game play of the first game it falls quite short with a 2-3 hour campaign. I will however, recommend this game if it's on sale, i.e today, or if you get some of the extra levels. If you are new to Painkiller I would recommend Painkiller: Black Edition, and if you crave more you should get this game.
  8. Nov 27, 2014
    Painkiller: Hell and Damnation, being a remake of the first Painkiller, retains that which made Painkiller fun - the over-the top violence, the over-the-top weapons, and the general over-the-topness of it all. However I do have some criticisms to make:
    1. The voice acting is sub-par.
    1. The voice acting is sub-par.
    2. In comparison with the game which it is a remake of, it is incredibly short - it took me about 5 hours to beat, and I have more time than that clocked on the original Painkiller - and I'm not even halfway through that.

That said, I'd still recommend this game - it's not quite the original Painkiller but it's fun nonetheless. I played this and the original intermittently, and I must say that both are a lot of fun. If you've played the original Painkiller already, this probably isn't for you, but if you're new to the series, this, along with the first game, is a good starting point.
  9. Sep 8, 2014
    Painkiller drops the ball on every occasion. If you were expecting a fast paced type FPS in the vein of Quake, Doom or Serious Sam, you're mistaken. Painkiller is a dull, slow, repetitive shooter. The gameplay itself is so uninspired. The enemies slowly walk your way, and slowly throw projectiles. There's really no variety here, unlike other games of this old school FPS genre. Even on thePainkiller drops the ball on every occasion. If you were expecting a fast paced type FPS in the vein of Quake, Doom or Serious Sam, you're mistaken. Painkiller is a dull, slow, repetitive shooter. The gameplay itself is so uninspired. The enemies slowly walk your way, and slowly throw projectiles. There's really no variety here, unlike other games of this old school FPS genre. Even on the hardest difficulty Painkiller is a walk in the park. Overall, it's a painfully CASUAL experience. Sit down, listen to good music, and shoot anything that moves. Simple as that. And once you're done the EXTREMELY short campaign, you can purchase a bunch of DLC for $8.00. What a slap in the face. AVOID! Unless you happen to find this game on special. Expand
  10. Jun 1, 2014
    Don't get why this game Is getting bad reviews, it's a good remake that looks great, flows smooth, and has an outstanding new soundtrack. What is very disappointing about the games is that it does not contain as many levels as the original and Nordic Games has decided to make them dlc. If you can pick it up for sale under or around 10 dollars, I'd say go for it.

1. Mar 15, 2013
    Despite its shortcomings, Painkiller is well worth it.
  2. Feb 9, 2013
    Enemies run towards you and you shoot them over and over until they die. Shallow and dull. [March 2013, p.79]
    Great visuals. Wooden stick launcher. Dull and short campaign. No-brain enemies. Boring multiplayer. Cons and pros accounted for: not worthy. [Jan 2013]