6.3

1. Sep 8, 2014
    Painkiller drops the ball on every occasion. If you were expecting a fast paced type FPS in the vein of Quake, Doom or Serious Sam, you're mistaken. Painkiller is a dull, slow, repetitive shooter. The gameplay itself is so uninspired. The enemies slowly walk your way, and slowly throw projectiles. There's really no variety here, unlike other games of this old school FPS genre. Even on the hardest difficulty Painkiller is a walk in the park. Overall, it's a painfully CASUAL experience. Sit down, listen to good music, and shoot anything that moves. Simple as that. And once you're done the EXTREMELY short campaign, you can purchase a bunch of DLC for $8.00. What a slap in the face. AVOID! Unless you happen to find this game on special. Expand
  2. Jun 15, 2014
    A enjoyed very much the original game and this remake isn't really adding that much (if it's not shorter), but playing in HD is pretty awesome. If you like game with no story (oh well, pretty stupid story), and just wanna shoot monsters with bunch of sick weapons, I'm recommending it to you. Gameplay is similar to Serious Sam series (so much shorter tho), with rock/metal music in the background.
  3. Jun 1, 2014
    Don't get why this game Is getting bad reviews, it's a good remake that looks great, flows smooth, and has an outstanding new soundtrack. What is very disappointing about the games is that it does not contain as many levels as the original and Nordic Games has decided to make them dlc. If you can pick it up for sale under or around 10 dollars, I'd say go for it.
  4. Dec 14, 2013
    If you have Black Edition, think about skipping this. Even if you buy the game discounted, you'll need a lot of DLC to get as much content as the original. But if you don't have Black Edition or you just really really loved it like me, this is a fantastic game. Fast paced, bloody, graphics are pretty (not amazing), and the game is just a lot of fun. Killing monster after monster after monster with body parts flying all over the place. I'm writing this review right now because they also released a huge (6.7GB!) patch today that really improved performance for me and fixed a lot of bugs.

Only complaint I have with this game is DLC DLC DLC up the butthole.
    If you catch it on a sale, you can get the game plus all DLC for around the same price as a normal game ($20-$30), and it is totally worth it. With all the DLC this game is like Painkiller Black Edition updated, and has just as much replay value as Doom 1&2.
  5. Oct 10, 2013
    Not better than Black Edition more on par with Overdose. Basically it gets a lower score than the 1st Painkiller as the Devs have used most of the levels and boss fights out of the 1st Painkiller. Yeah better visuals in H&D but still a unoriginal copy and past job mostly. Plus the sloppy tacked on story is a made out to be a sequel and not just a full remake of the 1st Painkiller. Short game plus with all the DLC on sale makes me think they Devs/Pubs chopped up the game on purpose. Also having to use a third party app to fix the broken gamepad does not help. Expand
  6. Sep 14, 2013
    Painkiller: Hell & Damnation is a great game. But I can't help but wonder what exactly Nordic Games have created besides porting People Can Fly's original game. Some aspects have actually worsened, like the vs multiplayer and the horrible use of cutting out content and reselling it as DLC.
  7. Jun 24, 2013
    The graphics are spectacular, but otherwise, there's no reason to upgrade from Black edition to Hell and Damnation. I really enjoyed the early Painkiller games, and I like H&D, it's just that there isn't much more to offer here than you've already played in its predecessors. If you've never played Painkiller at all, I recommend H&D; otherwise, don't bother.
  8. AWG
    Jun 23, 2013
    Painkiller: Hell & Damnation is a remake of the original title from the series and, at the same time, a sequel. Aside from this curiosity, the story isn't that interesting and it's not an example of originality but who cares: you're too busy trying not to be killed by everlasting hoards of monsters and demons to care about the story. Really. I played the whole game in co-op with a friend of mine and we enjoyed each and every single level of it. Multiplayer is not bad too. Expand
  9. Jun 16, 2013
    This Painkiller sequel is good for the fans, and though it captures the fast-paced, action packed game play of the first game it falls quite short with a 2-3 hour campaign. I will however, recommend this game if it's on sale, i.e today, or if you get some of the extra levels. If you are new to Painkiller I would recommend Painkiller: Black Edition, and if you crave more you should get this game.
  10. Jun 16, 2013
    This is a real shame.False advertising.
    One playthrough of the original game took about 8-9 hours,and this took me 2 hours and 40 minutes.The coop mode is more than useless,and has nothing to do in a game like this.
    The multiplayer is not really interesting,and the survival mode is not much better,
    You are basically paying for an incomplete game filled with DLC.
    Don't buy it.Get the
    original instead. Expand
  11. Apr 5, 2013
    Besides the story, which is very poor, the game is average in all categories. For $4.99 (Steam sale), it was worth it. There will be countless mindless enemies rushing at you with melee weapons. This is the developer's intent and not because of poor AI. This is a fun arcade type of game, but not worth the full price.
  12. Mar 21, 2013
    If like me you were a little disappointed by Serious Sam 3 not staying true enough to its roots then you should be pleasantly surprised by Painkiller HD which honors its heritage. It is a shame not all levels from the original and BOOH were included for the single player campaign, but at the budget price it is not bad value.
  13. Mar 13, 2013
    I had not played a Painkiller game ever. And i swear I never will again. I used to like Doom 1, Wolfestein and Duke Nukem Total Meltdown, but those games were fluid. This game is like: get it the room, stuck in there until you kill 40 enemies, go to the next room, same, next room, same. Come on, Duke Nukem TMD was far better. Jetpacks, Holos, interactive content, FAST action. In its defense, I can say pretty visual style, nice sound, nice physics (like bodys falling in the right direction) and nice Bosses (different sizes at least). Edit: I think Gameplay is everything for a game, so this deserve the 1 point I gave. Expand
  14. Feb 9, 2013
    This must be one of the dullest, most boring and most repetitive games I've played in a long time. Even so I'll very seldom give a score under 5 unless it's technically broken in some way. And Hell and Damnation is: occasionally the magic pentagram save point jobbies don't appear leaving me having to slog through the same boring stage again.

Beyond some pretty screenshots this game
    leaves little to recommend. Even the boss fights are bland. Expand
  15. Jan 1, 2013
    This is a masterpiece and must have for Painkiller fans. Good old school painkiller with some good new features. I do not understand the criticism of new grafics. On my Nvidia GTX590 it looks realy god. It is more fun, more nic, simply a wery good remake.
  16. Dec 29, 2012
    This is THE BEST GAME, because, yes there aren't some levels of the first Painkiller, but the multiplayer, when I find a match, is COMPETITIVE, not such as CALL OF DUTY or BATTLEFIELD 3. The graphics is PERFECT, at the level of BATTLEFIELD 3. I think one of the best game of the world.
  17. Dec 9, 2012
    I'm not calling myself a Painkiller fan but I had some fun with it and official add-on back in it's release days. Howevever, H&D feels like a let down. Few levels which follows in mostly random sequence, level design stuck in 2004 and visuals have no changes at all exept for updated engine and some texture work. Good-loking weapons, John St. John as voice actor and better textures on enmies are good but they do not outweigh overall dissatisfaction from the game. Also, it's like uber short and SP took me 5 hours on Nighmare to beat with plenty of checkpoint restarts and few secrets found. It feels good at times, but nothing more. Expand
  18. Nov 19, 2012
    In my view, this is the second best game in the Painkiller series. The graphics seem much more complex and visual than the earlier versions. Also, the story line is more entertaining...similar to Painkiller Overdose (my number 1 Painkiller). Hell/Damnation even includes an attractive and sexy young lady with an obvious biblical reference. The down sides to Hell/Damnation are; (1) limited weapons compared with Overdose;(2) ridiculous AI players. Skeleton with a pumpkin head is not interesting. All in all, if you're a Painkiller fan, this game is worth adding to your collection. Expand
  19. Nov 12, 2012
    Painkiller is in my opinion the best shooter in the history of Polish. It is very playable, and in the newest part of this game, we can see the best of Painkiller at all. The Farm 51 lived up to the task now falls just wait for Painkiller 2
  20. Nov 12, 2012
    I bought the collector's edition in retail. I must say, really cool and quite much content for not that much money! Definitely worth! Game itself is a good old FPS and sureley not for everyone (especially obviously too hard for the germans hehehe ;-) - no USK rating)
  21. Nov 8, 2012
    I really, really do not understand why people are rating it so low. Painkiller was an amazing game, and this is a great remake. It is intended for hardcore FPS gamers, if you liked Serious Sam, then this is the game for you. The story isn't that good, and it's understandable, since I wasn't really expecting it to be focused on a solid storyline. This game has beautiful graphics, physics and the gameplay is excellent. Expand
  22. Nov 7, 2012
    great game, really good fun, playing a few people even better
    Good graphics and music like the best metal band Orgy
    First scene look really cool, the game pulls like a typhoon yesterday with my friends we did have a little game. It was more fun for many games. The game has met my expectations. I recommend 100%
  23. Nov 6, 2012
    A very simple review with the pros and cons, First, the pros : it bring backs the classic old shooter which we have been missing in the recent games like swarms of enemy coming together, no auto generated health etc, various weapon types r pretty fun..specially the electric shocker and flame shooter are absolute fun to kill a group of enemies..also there r varied types of enemies which r fun to kill but on the negative side: first the story is not at all interesting and very predictable, uneven difficulty makes u furious at times , seems impossible to play at hard settings and u r bound to die many times in medium difficulty while the easy is too easy again, next the graphics, well, the graphics seems very old and the new gen graphics lover wont like it at all, but the good thing is that people with low config can play it easily without any problems, next i i was not satisfied with the level designing though some maps were quite huge, also the game play was not much appealing, like the souls appear much after an enemy dies and the given compass is not d perfect way to find the way when u r lost...these small things makes an interesting concept dull...so, if u have played d original painkiller u r not going to like it 4 sure, but if u haven't played d original one then u can give it a try... Expand
  24. Nov 6, 2012
    what the hell is wrong with the ratings? that cant be right? what the hell is wrong with the ratings? that cant be right?what the hell is wrong with the ratings? that cant be right?
  25. Nov 3, 2012
    Painkiller Hell & Damnation basically is a good game. But should you buy it ? the answer is a straight no. Mostly this game is recommended for the Fans of the series otherwise the Black Edition is still a better choice for those who never played Painkiller before. Hell & Damnation is not offering anything worth 20$ except an upgrade to UE3 and Multiplayer. The campaign runs only 3 to 5 hours long and unfortunately about 20 levels were removed compare to the original version. Overall, this game worth about 10 dollar only when there are games such as DOOM BFG edition ( only 10 dollar more and it offers full 5 campaign) or even HD remakes of Serious Same. You better stop and c whether the developers may release a FREE DLC of missed levels and then buy it, otherwise 20 $ for only 3-4 hour is smt stupid Expand
  26. Nov 3, 2012
    Old good Painkiller with Battle out of hell expansion on Unreal Engine. Id and Doom 3BFG Edition can learn from the Painkiller how to properly do a remake. Graphic is nice and smoothly. I have no idea where it took more than 200 negative votes. Hell and Damnation it's a good game !
  27. Nov 3, 2012
    I'm disappointed and I regret buy this more than any other purchase I have made in my life so far (not because of the price, but because by giving them money I support this crap). There's 2 reasons to play this game as opposed to Black Edition: a new gun and shinier graphics. However, the graphics don't make it look that good compared to the original and the new weapon you can do without, especially considering they cut out levels and the ones that remain have slightly different enemy placement and some new enemies that don't really do much for the "game". I'm using quotes because this feels more like a mod for UT3 by some guys that liked Painkiller, lacked imagination to make their own maps and didn't know how to code AI (example, the mini boss in the Cathedral doesn't even do his shake-the-building move, he just follows you around, getting stuck in the columns, while trying to melee you).

The whole 20 dollar price doesn't even hold it up if you think that Serious Sam HD was sold for the same amount AND it had the whole game AND it had nice little touches done to it AND re-coded AI.

This is garbage. A big smelly pile of garbage. All these lazy greedy mod makers can do is find excuses such as "oh it's a re-imagining" "oh it has coop" (which is LAN so you need a program like hamachi or tungle to play over the internet) "oh we didn't have time". Don't make it if you can't deliver then.

There is no, zero, reason to play this when you can get Black edition and enjoy a 10 times better game.

Painkiller had enough nails in its coffin. There was no need to anyone to try and stick another one in there. This is a lazy,greedy money grab that's so obvious it's a mystery how they expect people to be so stupid as to buy into their crap.

Garbage.
  28. Nov 2, 2012
    The low 75 degree default FOV simply breaks the game for me, and tweaking it in the config file causes enemy melee ranges to be off. Everything looks zoomed-in with the default FOV and I get headaches even after playing for a short while. It says it all that Nordic Games released a fast-paced and supposedly old-school FPS while allowing this type of consolization.
  29. Nov 1, 2012
    Although there are a few things that detract from the experience such jumping up ramps not being as smooth as in the original PK and the Painkiller secondary fire not working correctly on some surfaces the game as a whole is exactly what you would expect: fast and fun. Some ini file tweaking may be required (FOV, mouse acceleration, etc) but the game provides more or less what was promised. If you've been missing old school arena shooters then this should be up your alley. Expand
  30. Oct 31, 2012
    This is Painkiller completely re-imagined and enhanced with the Unreal Engine 3. The story structure it's a bit different and the game includes some extra cut-scenes that were created solely for this game's purpose. There is also co-op and multiplayer game modes. The downside is the lack of levels on the single player and co-op campaign mode. There are only 12 levels out of the 30+ included in the original game and the expansion. I can deduce (from the price if this game) that the remaining maps will come as DLCs, which (of course) are going to be for sale.

Other than this, Painkiller: Hell & Damnation it's an excellent remasterization of the original old-school FPS, Painkiller. It plays well and it looks even better. For the 19.99$ price tag this is definitely worth getting.
  31. Oct 31, 2012
    To be honest this game is what I expected to be; fast paced old-school violence. A lot of the reviews I'm seeing complain about the AI being stupid but fail to realise this was done on purpose. It's the AI you'll find in this type of classic shooter. What other kind of AI would you want? Think of this as Quake, Doom and Unreal bottled up. I LOVE how the AI are overly aggressive, run directly straight for you with weapons swinging. It's just the style of game play they went for. Not to mention there are HORDES of them, some with shields which makes attention to aiming a must. The graphics are polished which adds to the gloomy ambience to the levels and monsters (AI). I couldn't have asked anything more for this classic shooter. If you don't "get" this game, then you'll probably think the same thing as the crappy reviews. Complaining about stuff which was intentional. This is a game ONLY for die hard fans of old-school shooter. It even says so during the teaser video from Nordic Games. So if you are a fan of this genre you can not miss this one. Collapse
  32. Oct 31, 2012

1. Mar 15, 2013
    Despite its shortcomings, Painkiller is well worth it.
  2. Feb 9, 2013
    Enemies run towards you and you shoot them over and over until they die. Shallow and dull. [March 2013, p.79]
    Great visuals. Wooden stick launcher. Dull and short campaign. No-brain enemies. Boring multiplayer. Cons and pros accounted for: not worthy. [Jan 2013]