• Publisher: 3909
  • Release Date: Aug 8, 2013
8.5

1. Sep 29, 2013
    Based on the positive reviews and score this game has received on Metacritic, I gave PP a try. I was utterly disappointed. The gameplay is entirely based around being presented with information and then having to verify that the information matches criteria specified at the start of each day. A typical early scenario would involve being handed an ID card and a work permit. You would have to check the following information; same ID/name on both papers, dates are correct, photo on ID matches the person handing it to you. After that, check the immigration rules for the day make sure people are allowed to enter from that country. And that is it all you do is pattern match. If that sounds like fun, give it a try. If your brain isn't wired to find pattern-matching fun, avoid like the plague. Expand
  2. Dec 13, 2013
    No mundo dos games, também existem aqueles jogos que são uma verdadeira porcaria. Blé, que jogo ruim. Mecanicas repetitivas, jogo previsível, chato e sem graça
  3. Dec 7, 2013
    Good game, but gets repetitive very quickly. It's difficulty curve is much too steep, progressing from "I can do this blindfolded" to "crap I lost again" in around 3 levels.
  4. Feb 8, 2014
    I don't understand why this game is getting so many high reviews. It does have an interesting concept behind it, forcing you into situations where you make tough moral decisions. The story premise is also fine.

But a game needs more than that to be called great. A great game, quite simply, needs great gameplay. And this one doesn't. You keep doing the same thing over and over and over.

This exemplifies what happens when you focus too much on the "artistic" side of a game, rather than create a great gaming experience, or better yet, balance both aspects.
  5. Nov 2, 2013
    Visually it looks like the first game ever created with graphics...If you manage to get beyond that you get a very boring and repetitive game play...I mean how exactly you turn a lousy job as stamping passports of common people into a captivating game?I mean when exactly in real life going to a person working at this kind of job you are going to tell him he has the most exciting job after playing this game?I have played only one game-day every day but after 10 days all I wanted to be as far as possible of this game...I mean real life is much more entertaining... Expand
  6. Nov 25, 2013
    I'm admittedly hard to please; I purchase four or five games for every one that I truly enjoy and can stay with to get all the way through.I give the developers of 'Papers, Please' credit for trying something unusual and different; that's exactly what gaming needs and precisely what I want and hoped for in this game. I truly wanted to like it. But this game but it is utterly boring. Maybe it gets better further and deeper into the game. I dunno, I couldn't get past 20 minutes and I restarted two or three times and always abandoned at the approximate same place there was nothing happening.Nice try though. Two starts for being unique, otherwise zero. Expand
  7. Mar 21, 2014
    If you don't like paperwork in real life I can't imagine you'd like this game. Basically you're comparing some documents to a set of rules which you have been supplied. Find a discrepancy and point it out. Miss a discrepancy and lose some points. I don't understand the hype behind this game.
  8. Apr 12, 2014
    I have a hard time understanding why gamers want stuff like this? I grew up using an IBM 486, and the graphics then were better than this, that was in the 80's. Honestly, pattern recognition and some basic choices of whether to be a traitor or not, and that sums it all up. 85/100 for this? It's time for me to find a new hobby I think.
  9. Apr 16, 2014
    Could someone (please) remind the hipsters that the 80s are long gone? This is not a Spectrum 48k game, it shouldn't look like one. This kind of thing keeps on showing up with wonderful reviews, written by people who use admire so much "the classics" even though they (probably) weren't even born when the bloody classics were new... It's just rubbish, treat it as such.
  10. Apr 19, 2014
    I wanted to like this game. However, as a Software Engineer, the core gameplay just feels like doing extra work when I get home with a **** IDE. Even the humanizing story elements weren't enough to keep me playing. It's just not fun.
  11. Dec 26, 2013
    I'm giving this game a 3, simply because the theme of the game is very interesting. However, despite all the hype and attention, there is nothing here. In a quick overview. You have a screen that resembles a counter and a shutter. Somebody appears (the graphical style is akin to old 8-bit 16-bit) and presents a document. You then have to match up that document with whichever order you have receieved for that day, i.e. No foreign passports today so every foreign passport you deny entry and they walk off. That is all the game is. Obviously the scenarios change and maybe it will be "foreigners allowed today but only from X,Y region" You are just matching up lines of text from your handbook, daily orders to which ever you are presented with. Once the day finishes you get money. You have a few family members, just text on the screen, and you have to buy food, rent, heating, medicine. They can die and so can you, which results in game over. I picked this game up on Steam Sale for about £3.00 I still regret buying it. Expand

1. Jan 2, 2014
    Papers, Please gives you a simple task that doesn't ask a lot of you. The game outgrows its mechanics though, by appealing to your moral compass and emotions. This indie game will get under your skin, will have you feeling uncomfortable and have you think about yourself, as a person.
  2. Oct 14, 2013
    An incredibly impressive little game, from its understated old-school art style to its ability to make you feel uncomfortable with how much you enjoy catching criminals trying to trick their way into your country.
  3. Oct 5, 2013
    Papers, Please is not only original but fun, too. More papers, please! [Sept 2013]