Papers, Please PC

8.5

1. Aug 8, 2013
    This is an AMAZING game. I didn't expect to like it as much as I did, I thought it'd get boring after a while, turns out, it doesn't. So many things are added that keep it fun and exciting, and some of the smaller things are great too. This game really brings me to think about morals, when do you break the guidelines? What do you risk, letting someone with a weapon through, and being ableThis is an AMAZING game. I didn't expect to like it as much as I did, I thought it'd get boring after a while, turns out, it doesn't. So many things are added that keep it fun and exciting, and some of the smaller things are great too. This game really brings me to think about morals, when do you break the guidelines? What do you risk, letting someone with a weapon through, and being able to feed your family from a bribe, or do you be a good guy by the book and detain him? This is an amazing game, and I hope everyone else enjoys it as much as I do. Expand
  2. Aug 8, 2013
    One of the best games of recent years. It has become one of my favorite and most memorable games of all time right beside games like Baldur's Gate 2 and the Half Life series. It is an extremely bleak and depressing game that really makes you appreciate everything. The sound is great and I will never forget the sound of the horn. The gameplay is very simple but detail oriented. At firstOne of the best games of recent years. It has become one of my favorite and most memorable games of all time right beside games like Baldur's Gate 2 and the Half Life series. It is an extremely bleak and depressing game that really makes you appreciate everything. The sound is great and I will never forget the sound of the horn. The gameplay is very simple but detail oriented. At first glance it seems quite boring but the stakes are so high that you try to counterbalance speed and thoroughness in order to make it to the next day. It is one of the few games I have ever played that I would consider a masterpiece and possibly even art. It is enthralling and it sucks you in in a way that no other game really does. If you want a unique experience give it a shot and see if it grabs you because it is unlike everything else on the market now or that I can remember. Expand
  3. Aug 10, 2013
    Yes, it could be considered repetitive and monotonous, but the goal of this game is not to be action packed. Rather it is to make you think. Finding discrepancies is surprisingly engaging at points, and while trying to keep all the specific papers, stamps and whatnot organized and in your head can be difficult and occasionally overwhelming, it proves to be a surprisingly engrossing andYes, it could be considered repetitive and monotonous, but the goal of this game is not to be action packed. Rather it is to make you think. Finding discrepancies is surprisingly engaging at points, and while trying to keep all the specific papers, stamps and whatnot organized and in your head can be difficult and occasionally overwhelming, it proves to be a surprisingly engrossing and sometimes even addictive. Along with a unique art style, amusing dialogue. and a surprisingly catchy theme song (not quite sure why,) Papers, Please is a pleasant surprise and well worth ten dollars and some free time. Expand
  4. Aug 10, 2013
    Unique and creative game proving that good game-play, addiction and fun don't necessarily come from stunning graphics and such. Played for 2 hours and only saw one of the 20 endings. Great replay value topped by a lot of potential for DLCs, Steam Workshop and upgrades. Bravo!
  5. Aug 12, 2013
    This is one of 'those' games. Where the concept is something you've probably never seen before and you'd think it's a boring idea.

But when you get round to playing it, it ends up being a challenging, fun experience which also helps bring across a dark dystopian narrative about Arstotzka and the Grestin Border.

Absolutely brilliant.
  6. Aug 11, 2013
    I don't normally play indie games, but Papers, Please is one of those rare titles that everyone should at least try. Set in the fictional communist country of Arstotzka, you take the role of an immigration inspector at a border checkpoint. You must look over documents and use various tools in order to keep spies, smugglers and other unwanted bad people out of the country all while on theI don't normally play indie games, but Papers, Please is one of those rare titles that everyone should at least try. Set in the fictional communist country of Arstotzka, you take the role of an immigration inspector at a border checkpoint. You must look over documents and use various tools in order to keep spies, smugglers and other unwanted bad people out of the country all while on the clock. On top of this you have to make enough money to support your family and survive yourself.

Will you follow the rules or turn to taking bribes to make ends meet? It may sound easy and perhaps even boring, but trust me that once you dive in it is really exciting. Glory to Arstotzka!
  7. Sep 2, 2013
    I joined the resistance. But not because I wanted to, I HAD to. It was the only way I could feed and buy medicine for my family who were sick. I was desperate.
    Papers please is one of the most immersive gaming experiences you will ever have.
  8. Aug 13, 2013
    An indie game that will capture your heart. If you have even the faintest understanding of history, humanity and politics, get the game and enjoy it.
  9. Aug 15, 2013
    I played the game since Beta and I didn't expected to be such a great game

Multiple endings? Check
    Great storyline? Check
    Tokens aka collector's badges? Check
    Increasing difficulty? Check
    Great 8-bit graphics? Check

Game has very high repeat value and you can play again and again with different decisions and everything. Now go buy the game!
  10. Aug 20, 2013
    One of the best games I ever played. Amazing concept, story and art direction! This game actually makes a work that may be seems as boring something incredibly fun.
  11. Aug 26, 2013
    Simply amazing, I had to make a metacritic account just to say that I absolutely love this game. Not giving a perfect 10 just because it can get a bit repetitive and frustrating after many hours, but a part from that I can't find any other flaws.
    The atmosphere and the various storylines are extremely captivating, a truly unique experience, if you like videogames at all you should definetly try out this one.
  12. Aug 28, 2013
    Wow, what an original game. It has been well described by others so I will just say it may not be a game I play for 40 hours but it IS a game I will tell all my friends about and I will remember some of the things that happened in it long after generic shooter #213 and generic RP #695 are both long forgotten. So totally worth the ten bucks.
  13. Sep 1, 2013
    This is a class game. Dont be fooled by the graphics. They actually add something to the 1982 communist theme. This is a game full of substance and very very addictive for a reason that somehow eludes me. Perhaps it is the power of state on the peasants whilst making a lil on the side. Saying that most of my family died the first time after playing and then I was imprisoned forThis is a class game. Dont be fooled by the graphics. They actually add something to the 1982 communist theme. This is a game full of substance and very very addictive for a reason that somehow eludes me. Perhaps it is the power of state on the peasants whilst making a lil on the side. Saying that most of my family died the first time after playing and then I was imprisoned for backhanders. Great game. On top of that, it costs about £5. Winning. Expand
  14. Sep 4, 2013
    It took two sentences about the concept and about 5 seconds to sink in before I said, "TAKE MY MONEY". It has completely lived up to my expectations. It manages to set a wonderful atmosphere with surprisingly little. It's elegantly designed, plays well, and makes me want to keep coming back for more. It has a story mode with 20 endings and an "endless" mode. I've found that doing theIt took two sentences about the concept and about 5 seconds to sink in before I said, "TAKE MY MONEY". It has completely lived up to my expectations. It manages to set a wonderful atmosphere with surprisingly little. It's elegantly designed, plays well, and makes me want to keep coming back for more. It has a story mode with 20 endings and an "endless" mode. I've found that doing the right thing in the story mode doesn't always get you a good outcome, and it's left me laughing more than once. I've also found myself moving too fast and swearing when I get written up for missing one of the many details that can be wrong, but if you don't move fast enough, you won't make enough money to take care of your family. It's a great combination of both the need for speed and the need for accuracy that makes it work. It's my favorite game of the year so far and I've even been to PAX and seen all sorts of new games! Expand
  15. Sep 13, 2013
    Actually the most fun I've had from any game for a long while now. The graphics are a great nod to the past, the music fits perfectly, and best of all it's a right challenge. Easily recommended by this fantastically great chap.
  16. Sep 13, 2013
    All the fun of a soviet-era bureaucrat!

I do miss the beta [Image perfectly depicting the text below] messages, but sadly that went and what we got was a novel, and very fantastic game.
  17. Oct 15, 2013
    "Gameplay over graphics". I can't stress how important this quote is. Especially in this game. I'll admit, when I first saw this game, I though "Whaa...?" I mean, lets be honest. A game where all you do is approve or deny people to go through a fictional city named Arstotzka seemed creative but a bit boring. But I risked it and bought it. And I was taken by surprise how invigorating it"Gameplay over graphics". I can't stress how important this quote is. Especially in this game. I'll admit, when I first saw this game, I though "Whaa...?" I mean, lets be honest. A game where all you do is approve or deny people to go through a fictional city named Arstotzka seemed creative but a bit boring. But I risked it and bought it. And I was taken by surprise how invigorating it was! There's a unique storyline you follow through you can do tasks for the mysterious force of EZIC, or continue giving glory to Arstotzka. I admit, this game eventually gets boring and is not something you will spend 800 hours playing. But it's a concept that surprisingly bodes well with retro graphics and will keep you refreshed for a while, but again, the longevity of the game and the re-playability is a problem that is needed to be solved, even with the endless mode you can play after having fun with the storyline. Expand
  18. Oct 17, 2013
    I didn't expect much from a game with the concept of marking passports. But this offers unique story, CHARACTERS (Yes, a passport game with CHARACTERS. Amazing!), and gives you choices that affect the game.

Whats not to love? Characters bribing you and illegal yet emotionally effecting or those who pay you higher than your actual paycheck will bring challenge into the game. It may be called "retro", but its old-school and something you can always go back to. Even though it does get repetitive, boredom is at a respected minimum thanks to the story. A strong, good story, which blew me away. The realism doesn't get ridiculous and just gets challenging and more and more lovable. Entry or deny; you feel like making a huge decision with just stamping one passport late into the game, with a great ending(s), depending on what YOU chose to do. It gives you so much choice and power. For the cheap price and upcoming fun for new players, go and buy it. You won't regret.
  19. Aug 10, 2013
    I was surprised at how interested I would be in this game, I was skeptical at first because playing an immigration inspector sounds incredibly boring, I only expected to get 30 min out of it. (For only 10 dollars it was worth a try.) But once I started playing, the ability to decide who passed through, deciding the fate of not only other people but yourself. As you progressed more wasI was surprised at how interested I would be in this game, I was skeptical at first because playing an immigration inspector sounds incredibly boring, I only expected to get 30 min out of it. (For only 10 dollars it was worth a try.) But once I started playing, the ability to decide who passed through, deciding the fate of not only other people but yourself. As you progressed more was added to keep you playing, and if you lost, you didn't have to start all over again. It has excellent replay value as one can try to unlock all the different endings.

Glory To Arstotzka!
  20. Aug 12, 2013
    An overall accurately reviewed game. Definitely worth 10$ and worth your time. However it's not for everyone. A niche title through and through that's only fun on play on try number 2 and up. First time is a bombardment of exponentially growing criteria and discrepancies that simply boggle the mind, clutter the desk and get your mother in law killed. Not for those who are afraid ofAn overall accurately reviewed game. Definitely worth 10$ and worth your time. However it's not for everyone. A niche title through and through that's only fun on play on try number 2 and up. First time is a bombardment of exponentially growing criteria and discrepancies that simply boggle the mind, clutter the desk and get your mother in law killed. Not for those who are afraid of games like Dark Souls where death and failure are constant teachers. It's a fresh, fun, innovative, and unique game that will challenge the memory and patience of those with the mind for it. Bravo for making a fantastic game out of a mostly mundane job! Expand
  21. Aug 12, 2013
    You wouldn't think that a game with such a simple idea could be so good and so deep. Once you start playing though it actually has a way of pulling you in to the story and the consequences for you decisions. The game starts off easy enough, don't let this fool you though, as the game progresses there is a lot to take into consideration before letting someone though. You are paid on a perYou wouldn't think that a game with such a simple idea could be so good and so deep. Once you start playing though it actually has a way of pulling you in to the story and the consequences for you decisions. The game starts off easy enough, don't let this fool you though, as the game progresses there is a lot to take into consideration before letting someone though. You are paid on a per person basis and this forces you to try and balance getting the people through as fast as you can while trying to not let anything bad slip though. The game is semi-forgiving and you are allowed two mess ups a day, this sounds like plenty but you'd be surprised how many things will slip right past you. Right now you can get it on Steam for only $9.99 and for all the fun that the game provides that is a very low price. Expand
  22. Aug 12, 2013
    I started this game thinking it would get boring rather easily, but I was extremely wrong. All the mechanics are fantastic and fun. Everything is greatly tied into one big package and the story is just extremely fun to go through. I'd recommend it to anyone.
  23. Aug 14, 2013
    Strangely addicting! Your must complete your job with diligence and speed! You are paid for each person successfully processed through your check point. Glory to Arstotzka!
  24. Aug 26, 2013
    This is one of those unique games that, unless you are simply focused on the task at hand, carries with it profound questions about the nature of mankind and how we build societies.
  25. Aug 29, 2013
    This game is by no means absolutely perfect, but when a game is capable of making a mundane and seemingly bothersome task fun, I want to make babies with it.

Seriously guys, how do you make babies with a game.
    I would like to know.

Glory to Arstotzka.
  26. Sep 5, 2013
    What a creative and amazing game !
    I didn't expect to be this satisfied with it. The game play itself has a lot of details that makes it more interesting. The token idea, making every decision you take, whether agreeing with the law or going with your judgement counts !
    Too bad the "campaign" is short.
    Congratulations on delivering such a fun game. Still replaying
  27. Sep 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This here has to be one of the greatest indie games I have come across in my life.

I love how in this game tells us about the communist country we have to 'Glorify' and support it by working as the border control. We have to investigate the people who attempt to pass into our country, catch criminals on the run, secretly work with the revolutionary group, and collect income to provide for our own family. The best part is, we have to do all of this at a simply desk job!

What I love best is have the game mechanics tells us that it is hard to do the kind things for people, as it would put you and your family at risk. I remember this one moment (P.S. SPOILER AHEAD!) when I allowed a man in, but he asked if I could allow his wife in as well, who did not have the right paperwork to enter. She begged me to let her in, otherwise she would be killed when she returns to her own country. But if I were to allow her in, I would not be my income rate to pay for rent, food and heat so that my family would survive. The game pressured me to do my job correctly or I would fail.

In conclusion, this thrilling documentary game has given me a lot to think about when it comes to moral choices, as I think it really can bring out the true sides of your character without telling me if I did the right thing. This game is a real masterpiece and I think everyone should pick it up!
  28. Sep 16, 2013
    Have you ever wanted to work puncher passports? Think it is very boring and not interesting job? In principle, yes but if you still want to try what it's like to manage other people's lives as if God is to count the thousands of documents in search of the slightest error? Believe me it's very interesting!
    We proved this man with the nickname 3909! It is so accurate puncher displayed
    We proved this man with the nickname 3909! It is so accurate puncher displayed the work that creates a feeling as if he had it worked! Stunning meticulousness. Imagine this exciting picture: You're looking at documents of another immigrants, try to do it quickly, because at home you will find a sick son of a terrible disease, and the more documents you check the more money you earn, but only because of the fact that the person whom you do not have the right to put (a flaw in the documents) begs you to let him offer more money, but maybe you will calculate and take away jobs because of taking bribes, but need money for treatment! And here you are torn. That in such moments you realize what's special about this very unusual game. An unforgettable story of a nameless puncher
  29. Sep 23, 2013
    This is a perfect example of what all indie developers should strive for.

This is a perfect example of what all indie developers should strive for.

You play a citizen of Arstotzka, which exists in the game's fictitious world (though with very obvious links to our real world), and you have been chosen as the border inspector of your area. Your job is to ensure that all authorized persons get in and all unauthorized persons don't. At least, as far as the Ministry of Labor is concerned.

You can't neglect your personal life, however. You still have a family to take care of. And since you get paid by the person rather than by the hour, you must either work quickly and accurately, or you'll lose everything.

Over your new career, you can expect to meet lots of interesting people. Some have lost their passport. Some are looking for other people. Some are criminals. And you're the one who casts the final word on whether they enter your country or not.

This is the only game I've played in which a LACK of quality-of-life features actually works TOWARDS the overall feel of the game. It puts an astounding amount of effort to emulate the job of border inspector, down to every motion. Papers have to be clicked and dragged to open and read them, and stamps have to be applied, and then papers have to be handed back to the entrant. A similar game could have just had you click on one of two buttons labeled "Approve" and "Deny" to automate the process, but I feel that NOT doing that helped the overall feel.

Always remember: Glory to Arstotzka.
  30. Sep 28, 2013
    It's kind of surprising how fun this game is, considering the overwhelming feel of misery and oppression the game has. Papers, Please is a game where you play as a border inspector, checking over paperwork, looking for inconsistencies, and making choices that impact many lives, including those of your family.

The gameplay can get intense at times as you hurry to process as many people

The gameplay can get intense at times as you hurry to process as many people correctly as possible. Papers, Please had me hooked very quickly, and never let go. I'm planning to continue playing even though I've beaten the story twice, just to get all the endings and maybe try out endless mode. There's not much music, but what's there is great and fits the game incredbily well. The graphics are beautiful. Arstotska is mostly devoid of color, and this game looks as it should. The game controls almost entirely with the mouse, allowing keyboard shortcuts if you have the money to buy them and increase your efficiency.

I picked up Papers, Please at full price, and it was absolutely worth it. This is one of the best indie games I've played, and I think it's absolutely worth $10. I'd recommend it to just about anyone.

Note: the game has a little non-sexual nudity that can be disabled in the options.
  31. Oct 5, 2013
    This is great game! Congrats to developer who focuses on gameplay more than Graphics!This game is like serving your food to customers. Its great game!Worth the buy! But, when you progress, new features you get confused and dont exactly know what to do. Overall, worth the game to buy.
  32. Oct 8, 2013
    At first this game disturbed me because it was exactly like a job I had working in a call center for car insurance. Get name, match ID, match permit, make sure someone isn't trying to pawn off fake or expired information, which happens all the time, (all while attempting to do it as quickly as possible so you don't get in trouble for taking too long) and then do your best only to have yourAt first this game disturbed me because it was exactly like a job I had working in a call center for car insurance. Get name, match ID, match permit, make sure someone isn't trying to pawn off fake or expired information, which happens all the time, (all while attempting to do it as quickly as possible so you don't get in trouble for taking too long) and then do your best only to have your boss come down on you and be like "his permit was expired, did you even look?!"

But then this game becomes more complex. You're stuck at a job, not even making enough money to keep your family warm and fed, when someone offers you a bribe to let them in. Should you do the right thing and detain them? Or should you take the money to buy the medicine that your son so desperately needs?

I was shocked when I had to scan one of the immigrants so see if they were hiding any contraband and a fuzzy, dark, nude picture of them appears on my desk. The picture was so invasive, it reminded me instantly of a country where the people have no rights.

It's a surprisingly emotional game, with complex moral decisions.
  33. Oct 14, 2013
    Papers, Please is a very peculiar game. I don't know what to say besides it finds a way to make tedious paperwork engaging and fun. The story and decisions are dark yet silly. For the price it is a very enjoyable game.
  34. Nov 16, 2013
    Masterpiece.

Lucas Pope is a genius. The perfect match between simulation and graphic adventure. A game made by a one-person team succeeds where many AAA blockbusters fail (Heavy Rain, for example). Ok, maybe it's not for everyone. It requires little patience and gets harder and harder. But still is not hardcore gaming. It's art, in the form of a video-game. It make you feel lots of
    Masterpiece.

Ok, maybe it's not for everyone. It requires little patience and gets harder and harder. But still is not hardcore gaming. It's art, in the form of a video-game. It make you feel lots of stuff, not very seen in any other title. Emotions like self-shame, or guilt.

You will like this game if you are:

-a big fan of old school graphic adventures, but sick of almost every new title that just repeats the same formula.
    -a casual gamer who enjoys repetitive game play with great difficult curve
    -reader of classic science fiction novels like 1984
    -a citizen in a post-USSR dictatorship
    -an art lover, a humanist, who wants to know of new and exciting ways to express anger against governments with humour

Just one advice: Bigger impact if you know nothing about the game. So, do not read too many reviews!

Game Play and Mechanics: Challenging and entertaining.
    Plot: Not only good but perfectly integrated in game experience too.
    Graphics: Perfect. Couldn't serve better its purpose.
    Sound: Good. Just one song, lots of silence. Cheesy sound fx. Like graphics, it is what it has to be.
    Fun: Tones. And many other emotions too.
  35. Nov 28, 2013
    The first thing that you have to say about the game is that it is the exact opposite of adrenaline-filled action games. That doesn't mean that it doesn't fill you up with adrenaline each time you have to deny a husband entry along with his wife or choose whether a man is a terrorist or genuinely wishes to immigrate.
    The design in this game is genial, to say the least. While the objective
    The design in this game is genial, to say the least. While the objective in the entire game remains the same whether to allow or deny someone to pass the checkpoint, each level there is a new feature that keeps you on your guard. The graphics are humble, but in some way it actually helps portray the grim atmosphere that a border guard in a Communist country feels. The story, while there isn't that much of it up front, is still presented in pieces and is well thought. But the most amazing feature in this game is that it actually makes you think, what are you willing to do to survive? Are you willing to deny access to an innocent individual so that your family can get heating for the winter?
    Overall, this game deserves all the praise it receives. Truly an innovative, moving marvel.
  36. Dec 1, 2013
    This is an important game and worthy of your attention. This is the kind of game that advances the medium of video games and lends credence to the argument that not only are video games art, but that they can explore facets of the human experience that we otherwise would not be able to.

You play as an immigration/border control officer, and it's your responsibility to allow or deny people into your country. If someone gets into the country with false info, or if you turn away a valid candidate for entry, you get fined. Money is tight, you are the only person supporting your immediate and extended family. But as the documents start piling up, the stories get sadder and sadder, the bribes/espionage/underhanded deals become more and more complex, what will you do?

This game forces you to reflect on what kind of person you are, and how you view people around you. Do you worry only about yourself and your family? What about the wife who couldn't get a passport and will be killed if she's turned away? There are no easy choices, but you must make them.

10/10 and this game deserves to be in a museum as well.
  37. Jan 2, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. There's something so amazing about this game that is so hard to explain. Papers, Please is an interesting game, unlike everything you have saw before. This game has you dealing with choices which can affect someone's life to either become better or worse, example, there's a guy escaping from his country with his wife, his passport has no problems, however his wife's passport has, so now you have to choose either if you will to let her pass or not. The game is pretty difficult, requiring full attetion of the player into the game. The game starts simple and gets harder, but not into unfair hard, but fair hard, because if you do something wrong it is your fault not the game's fault. Overall this game gets a 9/10 to me, while the game is good, it is not something that everyone will like about it. Expand
  38. Jan 3, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game tests not only your eye for detail, but your morals. With the EZIC group conspiring against the government, you must decide whether or not you will help them and many other people in the game. Is their life worth your job? Expand
  39. Jan 5, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Really a Great Game... The old graphics make you doubt at first, but then you realize graphics are just suited to the game. This game is about to the get the job done, well done, and in time in order to keep playing. If you ever had a job that requires checking documents in order to approve something, this will be quite familiar. Expand
  40. Oct 27, 2014
    Another example that content is king. If you have that, you don't need a huge budget to write a very good game. Very nice surprise for the price. Great mood.
  41. Dec 29, 2014
    Forget the bad reviewers. This game is AWESOME, perfect in every single piece of it.

Story 10/10 (with multiple endings)
    Graphics 10/10 (retro at '80 decade storyline)
    Sounds 10/10
    Music 10/10
    Challenge 10/10
    Originality 10/10
    'Addictionality' 10/10
    Entertainment 10/10
  42. Jan 27, 2016
    Papers, Please

Game-play: The game-play is great it really test your skills in puzzle games with a ton of different things you have to pay attention. Story: The story is simple but good and you can change it how ever you want according to your decisions I can not tell how much time it will take you because if you are a good player it could take many any many hours if not it could end
    Papers, Please

Story: The story is simple but good and you can change it how ever you want according to your decisions I can not tell how much time it will take you because if you are a good player it could take many any many hours if not it could end in 1 or 2 hours but that is a reason to try to be better.

Graphics: The graphics blend in perfect with the game.

Notes: You should buy this game even if you are not very big fun of puzzle games you will love it as I did this game is just great.
  43. Aug 9, 2013
    This game is either for you or not. But when it's for you, jeez! It's quite addictive, and superbly dark in parts, considering you may have to make the choice over Heat and Food to keep alive, or Medicine for your sick son. The stories of the immigrants may even compel you to break the rules and admit them, even if it costs you food for the evening. A beautifully crafted game, that leavesThis game is either for you or not. But when it's for you, jeez! It's quite addictive, and superbly dark in parts, considering you may have to make the choice over Heat and Food to keep alive, or Medicine for your sick son. The stories of the immigrants may even compel you to break the rules and admit them, even if it costs you food for the evening. A beautifully crafted game, that leaves you questioning yourself, and your morals. Completely differing to all other games on the market, Papers, Please stands alone, and tall as one of the best games of this year.

My one issue is the space you are given, which really runs out as the difficulty (and therefore necessary documents) increases.
  44. Aug 9, 2013
    It's a pretty brilliant, simple yet detailed game which is more engaging than it looks to have any right to be....on paper.

Papers, Please cause no trouble.
    [APPROVED]
  45. Aug 11, 2013
    This game is brilliant. It starts as something completely mundane, boring office work, but very quickly turns into something so intense and suspenseful and thrilling! I was mind-blown by the elegant design. It's so simple, yet has so much depth. Definitely buy it!
  46. Aug 9, 2013
    Remember those movies where there's a scene with an immigration officer saying "can't get in without a ticket?" Well now you can play as that guy, and do things differently in my case.

This is a game where you play as an immigration officer, determining the outcome of immigrants coming in to this bad bad country that you work with. Its soooo much better than it sounds. You check inconsistencies in people's passport. Eg: if a passport has a wrong country of issue, whether a person is male or female based on a misinformation (which leads to some hillarity when you found out that a person that looks like a woman turns out to be a guy), and bust some drug smugglers. The further you get to the game, the more it becomes interesting. You can get access to a gun because of a terrorist attack, or defuse a bomb. Also there are moments where some people doesn't have a valid document, but they are begging you to let them in. So in some of these cases its up to you if you want to be a dick or have a heart and let them in. Its a nice little touch that keeps me playing the game, for 3 hours straight i might add, and there's 20 different endings, which demands a lot of replayability.

One complaint that I have with the game is that sometimes checking for inconsistencies can be annoying, especially during the later missions where immigrants needs a passport, permit, a personal height and weight information, so you have to have a high attention to detail because one simple mistake can cost you. A couple of times I got penalized just because the person's gender is wrong, or his height and weight is wrong, right after I checked if his country of issue, his work permit, passport expiry date and reasons of entering the country is right. But once you get experienced enough to detect those tiny flaws, the game becomes so much fun.

One of the most interesting game I have ever played in my life, and certainly one of the best games in 2013. I would give this game a rating of so awesome I will play this again and again. Now then, I'll go back to stamping people's passports
  47. Aug 10, 2013
    Glory to Arstotzka! Unique gameplay elements, totally immersive, great if you need some distraction from real life and all of these are in a $10 indie game! Just buy it, you won't regret it.

And I know this is my first review and I'm giving away a 10 but I assure you I'm not the dev himself or paid by the dev to write this. Just loved the game and the dev needs every tiny bit of support he can get.
  48. Aug 11, 2013
    This game has a few things that can either be called flaws, or another factor for why this game is a 10/10.
    Pros
    First. This IS a puzzle game. Now you might go "Darn, I heard it was good. Nevermind." Or "YES." If you said the former I feel bad for you. Second. The story... That's all there is to say. Third. Interface is pretty cool. Fourth. THE SOUNDTRACK. OH MY GOD THAT MAIN THEME.
    Pros
    Second. The story... That's all there is to say.
    Third. Interface is pretty cool.
    Fourth. THE SOUNDTRACK. OH MY GOD THAT MAIN THEME.
    Final. The feel around this game. It's not a very funny game. It's either viewed as dark and/or dramatic.
    Con(?)
    It gets exponentially harder each day.
    But hopefully you don't shy away from a challenge. ;P

Conclusion...
    One of the best games of the year.
  49. Sep 15, 2013
    Papers, Please is an original title that really shows you the meaning of 'indecisive'. The concept at first may sound quite boring, but once you get into it, you can't turn back. The immersion is amazing, no matter how pixelated the game is, and really gets to your empathetic side once the big decisions come in. You basically choose whether to be the good border officer, that falls for thePapers, Please is an original title that really shows you the meaning of 'indecisive'. The concept at first may sound quite boring, but once you get into it, you can't turn back. The immersion is amazing, no matter how pixelated the game is, and really gets to your empathetic side once the big decisions come in. You basically choose whether to be the good border officer, that falls for the sad stories or the bad border officer, that strictly follows the rules. But at the end of the day, you just need to keep your family alive and get through the struggle of being an Arstotzkan citizen. Well done Lucas Pope, well done.

Glory to Arstotzka.
  50. Sep 25, 2013
    For such a stupid concept, the author (yes, one guy) did a ridiculously good job. A small slipup and this game could have EASILY become repetitive, but he polished it so well (a bit of unique dialog here, a side-goal there) that it never actually feels that way. This is exactly what I game should be. I don't think this game could really be improved upon at all.
  51. Aug 9, 2013
    Such an awesome game! It has many features adding so game doesn't get boring. I really think it has hidden metaphor of the world. It's very simple, easy to control. It really deserves this rating!
  52. Aug 9, 2013
    This game is so unique that it's hard to even fit it on a specific genre.

The game puts you on the skin of an Immigration Inspector and you have to go through the daily routine of analyzing the documents of people trying to cross the border. Your salary is based on your performance, the more people you let in more you earn but if you let illegal people through you are punished. As if
    This game is so unique that it's hard to even fit it on a specific genre.

As if this weren't pressure enough you have to manage your money and make sure you have enough to pay the rent, buy food and medicine to your family and keep them warm through the winter.

It's really amazing how emotionally connected you become after playing for just a few of minutes, the game oozes atmosphere and tension.

Do yourself a favor and try out the demo.
    Just google it, I dare you not to buy it after playing through the demo.
  53. Aug 9, 2013
    Genius, challenging, gripping, and fun. Not only does this game make some worthwhile political statements, it also makes a perfect grim and dark atmosphere where you are always on edge and all of your actions have consiqunces. The game is also shockingly good and completely original. I cannot reccomend this game enough. Support this game!
  54. Aug 11, 2013
    i have beaten this game 4 times thus far and its amazing every time there are a lot of different endings. people complain over the desk being to crowded in the later days.. like i said i've beaten this game 4 times already and i have had NO problem with that.. they must be slobs in real life be organized and you'll do fine
  55. Aug 16, 2013
    Surprisingly entertaining game, considering how simple it is. Gives some insight to a real-world passport control job. Graphics could be better, but it's not a big flaw in this case.
  56. Aug 31, 2013
    Outstanding GAME! I've bought the game and it was worth it. The story is amazing whoever wrote it deserves a trophy! Overall: Good and maybe a bit longer I guess.
  57. Sep 18, 2013
    Papers, Please is a unique game that require your full attention.
    In this game you are chosen from a lottery to work at a border in Artstozka to keep your family healthy and well fed.
  58. Sep 24, 2013
    The most addicting paperwork simulator I've ever played. And the creator somehow found a way to weave an interesting storyline into a game where the core gameplay is checking expiration dates on passports.
  59. Aug 9, 2013
    This game is good, but it does have a few flaws. Having worked a similar situation in real life, the penalty/reward system seems a bit harsh. Denying entry based on suspicion is not typically frowned upon. Also, as mentioned in other reviews, checking height and weight is both difficult to do if you weren't brought up in the metric system and mechanically frustrating (I knew someone was aThis game is good, but it does have a few flaws. Having worked a similar situation in real life, the penalty/reward system seems a bit harsh. Denying entry based on suspicion is not typically frowned upon. Also, as mentioned in other reviews, checking height and weight is both difficult to do if you weren't brought up in the metric system and mechanically frustrating (I knew someone was a wrong weight but I couldn't call them out on it). That being said, this game is incredibly fun to play. 20 different endings is nice and all, but each day is scripted and rewards/punishments are always the same, making for about two legit replays for the intelligent player. Expand
  60. Aug 10, 2013
    This is a quirky but very fun game to be playing. I am surprised more games like this are not around, what the developer has done was made a game for one of the most likely of jobs and made it enjoyable and add the right sort of humour into the mix for effect. Played for hours and that was only the beta, brought it the minute that had finished and enjoying myself even more playing the fullThis is a quirky but very fun game to be playing. I am surprised more games like this are not around, what the developer has done was made a game for one of the most likely of jobs and made it enjoyable and add the right sort of humour into the mix for effect. Played for hours and that was only the beta, brought it the minute that had finished and enjoying myself even more playing the full version. Well worth the money to support quality gaming like this. Expand
  61. Aug 19, 2013
    This is a great game that deserves all the hype it's getting. You basically work at at the border for passport control and make sure the people who try to get in the country are legit. You check if they are carrying any weapons, you check if their passports are correct etc. It's a fun little game, but it can get extremely linear and boring after an hour of playing, which is why I rate it aThis is a great game that deserves all the hype it's getting. You basically work at at the border for passport control and make sure the people who try to get in the country are legit. You check if they are carrying any weapons, you check if their passports are correct etc. It's a fun little game, but it can get extremely linear and boring after an hour of playing, which is why I rate it a 8 out of 10. Expand
  62. Aug 22, 2013
    Strangely absorbing game where you simulate work as a border control inspector during the communist era eastern bloc and have to work to feed your family. A great example of gameplay over graphics, must be played to be believed
  63. Oct 18, 2013
    It's a nice little game that will keep you entertained for a few hours. Not only do you have to think about what you're doing, you also have to memorize, which is perfect for me because my memory isn't that good :P.
    Overall, it's not the BEST game I've played, but it's good enough for me to recommend to others.
  64. Dec 22, 2013
    An astonishing gaming experience, 'Papers, Please' delivers on its premise and then some, managing to be entertaining, addictive, thought-provoking and funny at the same time. True, it's not a game that will suit the impatient (the Michael Bay's of this world will be confused at the lack of mindless explosions and FPS style of gameplay) but for the rest of us it's a unique game that isAn astonishing gaming experience, 'Papers, Please' delivers on its premise and then some, managing to be entertaining, addictive, thought-provoking and funny at the same time. True, it's not a game that will suit the impatient (the Michael Bay's of this world will be confused at the lack of mindless explosions and FPS style of gameplay) but for the rest of us it's a unique game that is thoroughly worth the price of admission. Expand
  65. Jun 10, 2014
    El mejor juego del año, además te hace reflexionar sobre cómo una experiencia atractiva puede llegar a cubrir una mecánica de juego terriblemente tediosa, pero el reto y la historia hace que quieras jugar y jugar. Sin duda de las mejores compras que puedes hacer si te interesa la disonancia ludonarrativa.
  66. Jun 21, 2014
    Papers Please is a ingenious game that turns a mind-numbing, extremely tedious and seemingly dull concept into a challenging and atmospheric indie title. I was very skeptical about buying this but having picked it up in the Steam sale for £3.49; I feel like I've robbed the developer has it certainly warrants a full price purchase.

The game sees you working on the desk as a new

The game sees you working on the desk as a new immigration inspector at a border checkpoint for the fictitious country of Arstotzka. Your responsibility is to allow or deny people entry based on their passports. You make money at the end of each day to support your family and any mistakes you make affect your wage.

At first the game seems really simple as you stamp passports based on people's rights to entry whilst looking for any discrepancies on their documents e.g fake photo, expired passport, but the game gradually builds and new conditions for entrance eligibility change such as foreigners not allowed in. The criteria for entrance alters every day so you have to keep your wits about who you let in at that specific time. It really keeps you focused and you will make mistakes which affects your pay. Attention to detail and a speedy service adds to the strange addiction this game provides.

The retro backdrop and 80's Russian-inspired atmosphere really adds to the game as a novel and surprisingly enjoyable title. It's like a very addictive puzzle game that will keep you engrossed for hours at a time. A simple idea; superbly executed. Must-buy!
  67. Jun 23, 2014
    Incredibly good game, one of the more recent games that have actually been worth the money in terms of time invested and entertainment value. Unfortunately, i'm extremely bad at selling the concept of this game to my friends. Must make them play it.
  68. Aug 5, 2014
    I have nothing to say about this game besides that it is amazing and that it was designed amazingly. This game is about working at a border checkpoint and seeing who can go through and who can't based on their paperwork.
  69. Aug 14, 2014
    A great game in its genre: Simple as Great.
    The story line mixed to the fight between "legally" and "humanly" right, makes it highly immersive, but probably a bit TOO hard, it will become a rage game at stages.
    Worth its cost.
  70. Aug 17, 2014
    Game is very addictive and background track is awesome. :) Don't jugde it just because it doesn't have so many Holywood effects or excellent graphics. It is 30 MB-game and so good. :) There is one thing to say 'Glory to Arstotzka!'
  71. Aug 19, 2014
    The idea of the whole game is excellent. Brilliant and addictive story. You have to make a decision almost all of the time. For sure, it won't be wasted time.
  72. Aug 24, 2014
    Very nice. I didn't expect to like it this much. The correct word is 'addictive'. Once i started, i could not stop. Also, I thought it was only a practical game, but there is a plot behind, moments of fear, of surprise and many other details, everything happening at your desk. 20 possible endings, I have seen about the half of it in 10 hours gameplay (about 350 people checked). 85/100
  73. Jan 24, 2015
    Paper's please is a game where you stamp passports and arrest people. Basically, this game is FUNominal. Russian joke hohohhohohohohhoho!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  74. Aug 11, 2013
    The best games for me were Half-Life series and Deus Ex series. And here's the third one: Papers, please. Looks strange and simple for the first time, but a little time later can't close the game anymore. Really simple and addictive gameplay, good difficulty, 20 endings, lots of random, and, of course, the main one awesome story. This is the best indie game and one of the best gamesThe best games for me were Half-Life series and Deus Ex series. And here's the third one: Papers, please. Looks strange and simple for the first time, but a little time later can't close the game anymore. Really simple and addictive gameplay, good difficulty, 20 endings, lots of random, and, of course, the main one awesome story. This is the best indie game and one of the best games I've ever played. This is how one man can create a worldwide masterpiece. I'd like to see even more hardcore and more different situations in the game, but still 10 out of 10. Expand
  75. Aug 11, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. -Great original idea
    -Nice Utopic World
    -Interesting story
    -20 Endings
    -Simple but interesting gameplay

If you wanna enjoy and experience distopic world, buy this game.

I'ts worth evey penny you have spend
  76. Aug 12, 2013
    this game should not be enjoyable in any way but it is it has one of the best story's in recent years all from a little company like this it has a great setting that i wish people would use more and for £7 it is brillent must buy
  77. Aug 12, 2013
    This game is totally unexpected from what I thought it was... it exceeded all my expectations, and is probably the best Indie I've ever played. I highly recommend this game.
  78. Aug 12, 2013
    Paper Please is a great game i love it the stories great The game plays surprisingly addictive for such a weird mechanic. Buy this game for the story stay for the gameplay.
  79. Aug 13, 2013
    This game is really unique and I had SO MUCH fun playing it. It is a little repetitive but it still tries to introduce a new element every day.
    I really loved feeling that I can help fighting against Arstotzka helping that mysterious man, and yet I didn't want to risk lives of my family. So I balanced on the edge deciding what is a too big risk and what I can try to do. Brilliant.
  80. Aug 13, 2013
    Man this game takes me back... I feel almost like I am playing a Nintendo game!! Give us more! This has quirky music, an interesting story line and addictive mechanics. A+
  81. Aug 13, 2013
    This is an amazing game.At first i thought eh a boring game,but when i got to play it it was totally amazing.I like the story and how you have to make hard choices that may or may not effect your family.
  82. Aug 14, 2013
    Awesome game. I am all up for short games/mini games that doesn't hook you up for days and weeks. This is the perfect game to play with when I have few hours to kill. would give 10 if they bump up the graphics. But this is just a minor issue, really. It's all about the gameplay experience, which they did deliver.
  83. Aug 14, 2013
    This game is absolutely groundbreaking. So many scenarios and consequences that drastically impact the future of the game. Making just a couple mistakes can leave your family starving or your children cold and a terrorist attack during your work shift could leave your family without medicine. Extremely well executed game with dynamic yet simple gameplay.
  84. Aug 14, 2013
    This game really is great because it engages you as a player. It really makes you think and make some difficult choices. The story is interesting, the gameplay is unique, it's just all-around awesome. Papers, Please is an absolutely brilliantly executed game.
  85. Aug 15, 2013
    The beta/demo was already very good. The full version just takes it to the next level. Decisions in your "daily work", which gets more complicated as you progress in the game, are what makes this game interesting. Let the begging woman trough and be punished with getting less money or feeding your sick child? That's what you have to be ready for.
    The Artstyle is simplistic but looks good
    The Artstyle is simplistic but looks good and fits its purpose. The faces of the characters which come to your shelter are (mostly) easy to identify.
  86. Aug 15, 2013
    Totally minimalistic yet absolutely addicting. I had no urge to play the endless mode after finishing the campaign mode, but i'll most likely replay it for the different endings. Definitely worth the price.
  87. Aug 15, 2013
    This game keeps you wanting more! I found myself unable to leave the game alone until I had found all of the endings. I found it satisfyingly challenging, and I think that at that price tag, its practically a steal!
  88. Aug 16, 2013
    Though Papers, Please looks like a failure, it is well worth the time invested. Trying to keep your family alive while showing mercy or punishing the people trying to pass through is quite addicted. Couple this addicting gameplay with the dreary graphics and music creates a beautiful masterpiece.
  89. Aug 17, 2013
    I loved this game. I haven't seen something this original in a while, and i enjoyed every freaking second. The visuals match the feeling perfectly, the story is brilliant, and the gameplay is tense, fast-paced and focused. First, the gameplay. I've never played anything like this before, it gives you a feeling of control and pressure, it executes characters in a way that you would expectI loved this game. I haven't seen something this original in a while, and i enjoyed every freaking second. The visuals match the feeling perfectly, the story is brilliant, and the gameplay is tense, fast-paced and focused. First, the gameplay. I've never played anything like this before, it gives you a feeling of control and pressure, it executes characters in a way that you would expect if you actually worked at a country's checkpoint. Every decision you make matters, and it doesn't take back talk- if you screw up, it's for good. It's a genius implementation and it makes the game feel really intense. Every day on the job gets harder as the story progresses, making every little detail important. I love the layout of the GUI, letting the player place the papers and documents in their own fashion is great, it gives them the sense of order and control. You really feel like you work in a checkpoint. Now, the story. I won't give away any spoilers, but it's just genius. I like the idea of depending on how many people you get correct, the more money you get, and certain events can effect that. Keeping your family happy and secure is a great way to give you that feeling of guilt when you mess up or get sloppy. The people you meet really feel like real people you would see at a checkpoint. Especially later in the story, where some story triggered events happen, giving you a real visceral feeling of morality. I worked on this game and finished it in about 8 hours, so not a very long experience, but absolutely breath-taking and very worth the price. I highly recommend this game. 10 out of 10. Expand
  90. Aug 17, 2013
    This is one of the best games I have ever played. It's just PERFECT. The story, the mechanics, the graphics...everything is just perfect !
    Don't look at the trailer or gameplay videos. You have to try the game for yourself.
  91. Aug 17, 2013
    Papers, Please Review

by: William Valdes Originally posted at: http://www.yeahyeahcool.com/2013/08/18/papers-please-review/ It’s the winter of 1982 in the Russian-esque nation of ‘Arstotzka’ and you’ve been lucky enough to land a job working for the Ministry Of Admissions. As an Immigrations Clerk, you call up weary, 8-bit people to your booth and greet them with ‘Papers, please.’
    Papers, Please Review

by: William Valdes

It’s the winter of 1982 in the Russian-esque nation of ‘Arstotzka’ and you’ve been lucky enough to land a job working for the Ministry Of Admissions. As an Immigrations Clerk, you call up weary, 8-bit people to your booth and greet them with ‘Papers, please.’ The would-be traveler hands you his/her passport, which you inspect and apply either the green stamp of approval or the red stamp of denial. There are a wide range of discrepancies to look out for as you scan through documents and cross-reference them with your rule book, regional data, and the appearance of the person standing before you. Sometimes even all of your skills of deduction aren’t enough and you’ll require fingerprint checks and fully-nude body scans (nudity can be toggled in the options menu). Your job gets harder as each day brings new items on your desk, more rules and procedures you need to follow, details you have to look out for, financial opportunities and moral dilemmas but family is your top priority.

The stakes are raised when you realize that your family depends on you. At a minimum, you need enough daily funds for rent, food, and heat, with other expenses cropping up occasionally. Since you’re paid per interaction, you’re under pressure to quickly process as many travelers as you possibly can within each given work day. This can be tough sometimes as you must balance speed and efficiency. Throughout the game, your character’s personal and professional challenges become more and more complicated as they inevitably start to impact each other. If you slip up or turn in a lackluster performance on the job, you may compromise the security of your nation but it’s your family that will ultimately suffer the consequences.

Living on the borderlines between multiple genres, this is sort of a game without a country but one I’d happily give the green stamp of approval. This game is both stressful and mundane at times but also filled with moments that are interesting, suspenseful, and satisfying. It’s one of the strangest, most unique game-playing experiences I’ve had in a long time and also one of the best I’ve had all year. Glory to Arstotzka!

A
  92. Aug 19, 2013
    I first caught wind of this peculiar game when I briefly worked for a small-time website. I decided to look into it for myself about the game and I was impressed by its concept.

Being a checkpoint officer looking at a bunch of immigration documents may seem like it's boring work, but throw in the constant threat of terrorists looking to breach the safety of the wall, coupled with the fact that you have a large family to look after (seeing as how you're the only breadwinner), makes for an unforgettable experience. Trying to follow protocol as quickly and as accurately as possible is much harder than it looks, as your superiors are constantly monitoring your work. For example, the lady you just stamped a visa for had as minor a detail as the wrong gender on her passport. Of course, practice makes (almost) perfect; some days you can get through without a hitch, others you missed a slight detail or two.

The concept is well-built into the story. Especially with a guy named Jorji. Once you've played through it, you'll come to like Jorji as I have. Developer Lucas Pope made a fantastic game and I'll be sure to keep a watch for more title from him.
  93. Aug 20, 2013
    Refreshingly different game!
    Gotta say, it's one of the best games I have played in recent years and surely one of the best Indies ever.
    There are some minor issues with the game, but since I only played the "Beta" ve4rsion and do not know whether those problems have been fixed, I won't write about them. Just remember: if there has been added an endless game option, think my
    Refreshingly different game!

Just remember:

if there has been added an endless game option, think my score to be +1, so 9 instead of 8!

If the developer did NOT do it (as he promised) it stays at 8.5, though. Unfortunately, since I cannot give it x.5, I stick with my 8.
  94. Aug 20, 2013
    This is a clever game and very different from most. I can’t imagine that anyone who scrutinises documents for a living would want to play it in their free time, but they'd probably have an edge over the rest of us so who knows?

The game itself quite a challenge because you need management skills as well as a good memory and eye for detail I suspect it would make a brilliant training tool. The theme music is as haunting and bleak as the world in which the game is set.

It's probably not a game that you'd want to play through that many times, but it is still highly recommended.
  95. Aug 21, 2013
    I think a 10 would be indulging in fan service, but the game is very good. I went in not expecting a lot to be honest, and I found it oddly addictive and fun. Its also a clever way of exposing the flaws in immigration control, but its not so heavy handed with it. Very simple game to begin with, but it becomes complex over time and pretty smoothly as well. Graphics are fitting and to beI think a 10 would be indulging in fan service, but the game is very good. I went in not expecting a lot to be honest, and I found it oddly addictive and fun. Its also a clever way of exposing the flaws in immigration control, but its not so heavy handed with it. Very simple game to begin with, but it becomes complex over time and pretty smoothly as well. Graphics are fitting and to be honest, for the game that it is they compliment it nicely. Expand
  96. Aug 22, 2013
    This game is great. Challenging, lots of choices which matter, looks and sounds just like it should, days are short enough to never feel like a chore yet too long to redo for every single mistake unless you're going for a specific ending. And there will be mistakes..
    For those who consider it too difficult: At first I got a lot of citations because of incorrect issuing city or, even worse, Arstotzkan district, so now I keep a list of those near my monitor. I suppose strictly speaking it is cheating, but then again you memorize most or all of them pretty fast anyway.

I got no complaints and no idea on how this game could be improved, a solid 10/10
  97. Aug 28, 2013
    I love this game, I think that it is amazing. I had the Beta and found it was a great concept but lacking depth, and this is exactly what the full release brings to the table, depth, and a whole lot of it. I love the way the game is also like a constant tutorial how every-other day new things introduced to make my life harder, but more security to the border. It adds depth by not justI love this game, I think that it is amazing. I had the Beta and found it was a great concept but lacking depth, and this is exactly what the full release brings to the table, depth, and a whole lot of it. I love the way the game is also like a constant tutorial how every-other day new things introduced to make my life harder, but more security to the border. It adds depth by not just giving you moral choices, but financial choices. Will I be better off accepting a bribe but getting a citation? Should I sell that watch or should I keep it? And the moral choices start early on, can you tell if they're telling the truth that if yo deny them they'll get killed, how do you feel about that? Or letting someone in that could kill someone even though they have all their correct documents?

I hope that I have convinced someone out there to buy this game as it really deserves someone attention and play time!
  98. Aug 28, 2013
    Brilliant concept for a game, there really isn't much to it and you do get captured into it even given how simple it really is. The game is worth every penny. A lot of thought was put into this to immerse you in the experience. I work at a job where I need to look at multiple documents at once, and things DO GO MISSING! I would have liked a real full-screen mode that stretches to myBrilliant concept for a game, there really isn't much to it and you do get captured into it even given how simple it really is. The game is worth every penny. A lot of thought was put into this to immerse you in the experience. I work at a job where I need to look at multiple documents at once, and things DO GO MISSING! I would have liked a real full-screen mode that stretches to my screen. Thrilled that you can buy this game outside of steam. Most of what I encounter playing this game sounds like stories I've only just barely scraped past myself or had related to me by relatives. It's only a low-level simulation, but one that gets you in touch with the era and the times.

Kudos:
    -different types of date formats: easy on the player to pick a date format that's easy to read
    -novel and immersing game
    -aesthetically pleasing and well executed despite simplicity
    -some merit as teaching aid for social studies class (some language issues)
    -nudity filter
    -surprisingly addictive
    -simple control, easy to play
    -do not need Steam to purchase or play this game (huge bonus, which is what made the difference for me here, as I really, really, REALLY, have a seething hatred of steam, origin, and all other gaming clients)

complaints:
    -custom key bindings would have been nice
    -there are oodles of more possible "upgrades" to the booth which weren't capitalized on.
    -full-screen mode does not stretch to fill screen
    -drag-drop areas could have been improved, sometimes documents bounce off of entrant instead of returning to entrants hands.
    -only two modes (easy/hard) could have made use of different cash bonuses and different desk spaces to scale difficulty of game.
    -no language filter

Other impressions:
    this might not be 1995, but this game was completely built from start to finish by 1 person. Comparing this against bioshock is like comparing dollar-store dart guns against an Apache helicopter chin-mount. The only thing the two have in common is that they were games. It's incredibly difficult to manage on one's own to create a game without a whole production team supporting you, and that's why bioshock, europa universalis 4 and battlefield 3 cannot be used as comparisons. You don't compare a high school wrestler against a multi-titled world champion. The categories are completely different in scope. This is a very well-done game given the budget, staff and concept, and spectacularly executed. Whoever has unbridled condescension without actually pointing out short-comings of the game, especially by comparing it against wonders like Battlefield, Bioshock, Call of Duty or some other over-hyped and over-hyped re-skinned and fundamentally unchanged for the past 10 year old concept crap, believes they can do better is urged to make the attempt under the same conditions as for this game.

Things to watch out for:
    Sequels, either real or spiritual. The only possible way a sequel could be any good is if you really enjoyed this game, and I mean REALLY enjoyed this game, or if you haven't played this game yet. It would not be worth spending more than $10 for two of the same thing. (so, as I always say, do your research well, because BF3 does what CoD does, and DotA2 does what LoL does...... if you are going to spend your money, spend it on the best candidate, not on both. If you are reading this when there are (spiritual) sequels running around.... well.... refer to play-throughs on youtube.
  99. Aug 30, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Papers, Please is an excellent game. It has a beautiful art style, wonderful music, and a story unlike any other. Although the concept of completing paperwork may be boring to some, but the game keeps you on edge, from the beginning to the end. This game may be difficult for some, but the thrill of it all is finding out what is going to happen next. The controls are unique, and you can drag papers around freely, making the game a fair simulation, and all of the documents are unique for every person that enters the checkpoint, so every person has their own story, and personality, for that matter.

There are only a few things that agitated me while playing this game: The time bomb event was tedious, and really required either the mind of a genius, or a lot of patience. But that didn't ruin the entire game for me, as it only happened once and never again.

The story is enhanced by the multiple side-stories; The largest being you having to take care of your family. You receive payment for doing your job quickly and flawlessly, and the home you are given needs to be paid for. There is one man who reappears multiple times trying to sneak drugs into your country, Arstotzka, and you have to stop him. There also are the country coins, which can be collected by allowing certain people into the country, when their documentation is not completely correct.

For $10.00, this game is certainly worth the price. If you purchase this game, which is highly recommended, then try to find all 20 endings. Good luck!
  100. Aug 30, 2013
    Beatiful game, that never let you out, before you complete it. You must solve for yourself: approve or deny entry. Woman can be without passport, but her son and husband is waiting... The war changing people... They changing you... You should buy it

1. Jan 2, 2014
    Papers, Please gives you a simple task that doesn't ask a lot of you. The game outgrows its mechanics though, by appealing to your moral compass and emotions. This indie game will get under your skin, will have you feeling uncomfortable and have you think about yourself, as a person.
  2. Oct 14, 2013
    An incredibly impressive little game, from its understated old-school art style to its ability to make you feel uncomfortable with how much you enjoy catching criminals trying to trick their way into your country.
  3. Pelit (Finland)
    Oct 5, 2013
    Papers, Please is not only original but fun, too. More papers, please! [Sept 2013]