8.5

1. Aug 8, 2013
    This is an AMAZING game. I didn't expect to like it as much as I did, I thought it'd get boring after a while, turns out, it doesn't. So many things are added that keep it fun and exciting, and some of the smaller things are great too. This game really brings me to think about morals, when do you break the guidelines? What do you risk, letting someone with a weapon through, and being ableThis is an AMAZING game. I didn't expect to like it as much as I did, I thought it'd get boring after a while, turns out, it doesn't. So many things are added that keep it fun and exciting, and some of the smaller things are great too. This game really brings me to think about morals, when do you break the guidelines? What do you risk, letting someone with a weapon through, and being able to feed your family from a bribe, or do you be a good guy by the book and detain him? This is an amazing game, and I hope everyone else enjoys it as much as I do. Expand
  2. Aug 8, 2013
    One of the best games of recent years. It has become one of my favorite and most memorable games of all time right beside games like Baldur's Gate 2 and the Half Life series. It is an extremely bleak and depressing game that really makes you appreciate everything. The sound is great and I will never forget the sound of the horn. The gameplay is very simple but detail oriented. At firstOne of the best games of recent years. It has become one of my favorite and most memorable games of all time right beside games like Baldur's Gate 2 and the Half Life series. It is an extremely bleak and depressing game that really makes you appreciate everything. The sound is great and I will never forget the sound of the horn. The gameplay is very simple but detail oriented. At first glance it seems quite boring but the stakes are so high that you try to counterbalance speed and thoroughness in order to make it to the next day. It is one of the few games I have ever played that I would consider a masterpiece and possibly even art. It is enthralling and it sucks you in in a way that no other game really does. If you want a unique experience give it a shot and see if it grabs you because it is unlike everything else on the market now or that I can remember. Expand
  3. Aug 9, 2013
    Remember those movies where there's a scene with an immigration officer saying "can't get in without a ticket?" Well now you can play as that guy, and do things differently in my case.

This is a game where you play as an immigration officer, determining the outcome of immigrants coming in to this bad bad country that you work with. Its soooo much better than it sounds. You check inconsistencies in people's passport. Eg: if a passport has a wrong country of issue, whether a person is male or female based on a misinformation (which leads to some hillarity when you found out that a person that looks like a woman turns out to be a guy), and bust some drug smugglers. The further you get to the game, the more it becomes interesting. You can get access to a gun because of a terrorist attack, or defuse a bomb. Also there are moments where some people doesn't have a valid document, but they are begging you to let them in. So in some of these cases its up to you if you want to be a dick or have a heart and let them in. Its a nice little touch that keeps me playing the game, for 3 hours straight i might add, and there's 20 different endings, which demands a lot of replayability.

One complaint that I have with the game is that sometimes checking for inconsistencies can be annoying, especially during the later missions where immigrants needs a passport, permit, a personal height and weight information, so you have to have a high attention to detail because one simple mistake can cost you. A couple of times I got penalized just because the person's gender is wrong, or his height and weight is wrong, right after I checked if his country of issue, his work permit, passport expiry date and reasons of entering the country is right. But once you get experienced enough to detect those tiny flaws, the game becomes so much fun.

One of the most interesting game I have ever played in my life, and certainly one of the best games in 2013. I would give this game a rating of so awesome I will play this again and again. Now then, I'll go back to stamping people's passports
  4. Aug 9, 2013
    This game is either for you or not. But when it's for you, jeez! It's quite addictive, and superbly dark in parts, considering you may have to make the choice over Heat and Food to keep alive, or Medicine for your sick son. The stories of the immigrants may even compel you to break the rules and admit them, even if it costs you food for the evening. A beautifully crafted game, that leavesThis game is either for you or not. But when it's for you, jeez! It's quite addictive, and superbly dark in parts, considering you may have to make the choice over Heat and Food to keep alive, or Medicine for your sick son. The stories of the immigrants may even compel you to break the rules and admit them, even if it costs you food for the evening. A beautifully crafted game, that leaves you questioning yourself, and your morals. Completely differing to all other games on the market, Papers, Please stands alone, and tall as one of the best games of this year.

My one issue is the space you are given, which really runs out as the difficulty (and therefore necessary documents) increases.
  5. Aug 10, 2013
    Yes, it could be considered repetitive and monotonous, but the goal of this game is not to be action packed. Rather it is to make you think. Finding discrepancies is surprisingly engaging at points, and while trying to keep all the specific papers, stamps and whatnot organized and in your head can be difficult and occasionally overwhelming, it proves to be a surprisingly engrossing andYes, it could be considered repetitive and monotonous, but the goal of this game is not to be action packed. Rather it is to make you think. Finding discrepancies is surprisingly engaging at points, and while trying to keep all the specific papers, stamps and whatnot organized and in your head can be difficult and occasionally overwhelming, it proves to be a surprisingly engrossing and sometimes even addictive. Along with a unique art style, amusing dialogue. and a surprisingly catchy theme song (not quite sure why,) Papers, Please is a pleasant surprise and well worth ten dollars and some free time. Expand
  6. Aug 9, 2013
    Such an awesome game! It has many features adding so game doesn't get boring. I really think it has hidden metaphor of the world. It's very simple, easy to control. It really deserves this rating!
  7. Aug 9, 2013
    This game is so unique that it's hard to even fit it on a specific genre.

The game puts you on the skin of an Immigration Inspector and you have to go through the daily routine of analyzing the documents of people trying to cross the border. Your salary is based on your performance, the more people you let in more you earn but if you let illegal people through you are punished. As if
    This game is so unique that it's hard to even fit it on a specific genre.

As if this weren't pressure enough you have to manage your money and make sure you have enough to pay the rent, buy food and medicine to your family and keep them warm through the winter.

It's really amazing how emotionally connected you become after playing for just a few of minutes, the game oozes atmosphere and tension.

Do yourself a favor and try out the demo.
    Just google it, I dare you not to buy it after playing through the demo.
  8. Aug 9, 2013
    It's a pretty brilliant, simple yet detailed game which is more engaging than it looks to have any right to be....on paper.

Papers, Please cause no trouble.
    [APPROVED]
  9. Aug 9, 2013
    Genius, challenging, gripping, and fun. Not only does this game make some worthwhile political statements, it also makes a perfect grim and dark atmosphere where you are always on edge and all of your actions have consiqunces. The game is also shockingly good and completely original. I cannot reccomend this game enough. Support this game!
  10. Aug 10, 2013
    Unique and creative game proving that good game-play, addiction and fun don't necessarily come from stunning graphics and such. Played for 2 hours and only saw one of the 20 endings. Great replay value topped by a lot of potential for DLCs, Steam Workshop and upgrades. Bravo!
  11. Aug 11, 2013
    This game is brilliant. It starts as something completely mundane, boring office work, but very quickly turns into something so intense and suspenseful and thrilling! I was mind-blown by the elegant design. It's so simple, yet has so much depth. Definitely buy it!
  12. Aug 12, 2013
    This is one of 'those' games. Where the concept is something you've probably never seen before and you'd think it's a boring idea.

But when you get round to playing it, it ends up being a challenging, fun experience which also helps bring across a dark dystopian narrative about Arstotzka and the Grestin Border.

Absolutely brilliant.
  13. Aug 10, 2013
    Glory to Arstotzka! Unique gameplay elements, totally immersive, great if you need some distraction from real life and all of these are in a $10 indie game! Just buy it, you won't regret it.

And I know this is my first review and I'm giving away a 10 but I assure you I'm not the dev himself or paid by the dev to write this. Just loved the game and the dev needs every tiny bit of support he can get.
  14. Aug 11, 2013
    This game has a few things that can either be called flaws, or another factor for why this game is a 10/10.
    Pros
    First. This IS a puzzle game. Now you might go "Darn, I heard it was good. Nevermind." Or "YES." If you said the former I feel bad for you. Second. The story... That's all there is to say. Third. Interface is pretty cool. Fourth. THE SOUNDTRACK. OH MY GOD THAT MAIN THEME.
    Pros
    Second. The story... That's all there is to say.
    Third. Interface is pretty cool.
    Fourth. THE SOUNDTRACK. OH MY GOD THAT MAIN THEME.
    Final. The feel around this game. It's not a very funny game. It's either viewed as dark and/or dramatic.
    Con(?)
    It gets exponentially harder each day.
    But hopefully you don't shy away from a challenge. ;P

Conclusion...
    One of the best games of the year.
  15. Aug 11, 2013
    I don't normally play indie games, but Papers, Please is one of those rare titles that everyone should at least try. Set in the fictional communist country of Arstotzka, you take the role of an immigration inspector at a border checkpoint. You must look over documents and use various tools in order to keep spies, smugglers and other unwanted bad people out of the country all while on theI don't normally play indie games, but Papers, Please is one of those rare titles that everyone should at least try. Set in the fictional communist country of Arstotzka, you take the role of an immigration inspector at a border checkpoint. You must look over documents and use various tools in order to keep spies, smugglers and other unwanted bad people out of the country all while on the clock. On top of this you have to make enough money to support your family and survive yourself.

Will you follow the rules or turn to taking bribes to make ends meet? It may sound easy and perhaps even boring, but trust me that once you dive in it is really exciting. Glory to Arstotzka!
  16. Aug 11, 2013
    i have beaten this game 4 times thus far and its amazing every time there are a lot of different endings. people complain over the desk being to crowded in the later days.. like i said i've beaten this game 4 times already and i have had NO problem with that.. they must be slobs in real life be organized and you'll do fine
  17. Aug 13, 2013
    An indie game that will capture your heart. If you have even the faintest understanding of history, humanity and politics, get the game and enjoy it.
  18. Aug 15, 2013
    I played the game since Beta and I didn't expected to be such a great game

Multiple endings? Check
    Great storyline? Check
    Tokens aka collector's badges? Check
    Increasing difficulty? Check
    Great 8-bit graphics? Check

Game has very high repeat value and you can play again and again with different decisions and everything. Now go buy the game!
  19. Aug 20, 2013
    One of the best games I ever played. Amazing concept, story and art direction! This game actually makes a work that may be seems as boring something incredibly fun.
  20. Aug 26, 2013
    Simply amazing, I had to make a metacritic account just to say that I absolutely love this game. Not giving a perfect 10 just because it can get a bit repetitive and frustrating after many hours, but a part from that I can't find any other flaws.
    The atmosphere and the various storylines are extremely captivating, a truly unique experience, if you like videogames at all you should definetly try out this one.
  21. Aug 28, 2013
    Wow, what an original game. It has been well described by others so I will just say it may not be a game I play for 40 hours but it IS a game I will tell all my friends about and I will remember some of the things that happened in it long after generic shooter #213 and generic RP #695 are both long forgotten. So totally worth the ten bucks.
  22. Sep 13, 2013
    Actually the most fun I've had from any game for a long while now. The graphics are a great nod to the past, the music fits perfectly, and best of all it's a right challenge. Easily recommended by this fantastically great chap.
  23. Sep 25, 2013
    For such a stupid concept, the author (yes, one guy) did a ridiculously good job. A small slipup and this game could have EASILY become repetitive, but he polished it so well (a bit of unique dialog here, a side-goal there) that it never actually feels that way. This is exactly what I game should be. I don't think this game could really be improved upon at all.
  24. Aug 9, 2013
    This game is good, but it does have a few flaws. Having worked a similar situation in real life, the penalty/reward system seems a bit harsh. Denying entry based on suspicion is not typically frowned upon. Also, as mentioned in other reviews, checking height and weight is both difficult to do if you weren't brought up in the metric system and mechanically frustrating (I knew someone was aThis game is good, but it does have a few flaws. Having worked a similar situation in real life, the penalty/reward system seems a bit harsh. Denying entry based on suspicion is not typically frowned upon. Also, as mentioned in other reviews, checking height and weight is both difficult to do if you weren't brought up in the metric system and mechanically frustrating (I knew someone was a wrong weight but I couldn't call them out on it). That being said, this game is incredibly fun to play. 20 different endings is nice and all, but each day is scripted and rewards/punishments are always the same, making for about two legit replays for the intelligent player. Expand
  25. Aug 10, 2013
    I was surprised at how interested I would be in this game, I was skeptical at first because playing an immigration inspector sounds incredibly boring, I only expected to get 30 min out of it. (For only 10 dollars it was worth a try.) But once I started playing, the ability to decide who passed through, deciding the fate of not only other people but yourself. As you progressed more wasI was surprised at how interested I would be in this game, I was skeptical at first because playing an immigration inspector sounds incredibly boring, I only expected to get 30 min out of it. (For only 10 dollars it was worth a try.) But once I started playing, the ability to decide who passed through, deciding the fate of not only other people but yourself. As you progressed more was added to keep you playing, and if you lost, you didn't have to start all over again. It has excellent replay value as one can try to unlock all the different endings.

Glory To Arstotzka!
  26. Aug 12, 2013
    An overall accurately reviewed game. Definitely worth 10$ and worth your time. However it's not for everyone. A niche title through and through that's only fun on play on try number 2 and up. First time is a bombardment of exponentially growing criteria and discrepancies that simply boggle the mind, clutter the desk and get your mother in law killed. Not for those who are afraid ofAn overall accurately reviewed game. Definitely worth 10$ and worth your time. However it's not for everyone. A niche title through and through that's only fun on play on try number 2 and up. First time is a bombardment of exponentially growing criteria and discrepancies that simply boggle the mind, clutter the desk and get your mother in law killed. Not for those who are afraid of games like Dark Souls where death and failure are constant teachers. It's a fresh, fun, innovative, and unique game that will challenge the memory and patience of those with the mind for it. Bravo for making a fantastic game out of a mostly mundane job! Expand
  27. Aug 12, 2013
    You wouldn't think that a game with such a simple idea could be so good and so deep. Once you start playing though it actually has a way of pulling you in to the story and the consequences for you decisions. The game starts off easy enough, don't let this fool you though, as the game progresses there is a lot to take into consideration before letting someone though. You are paid on a perYou wouldn't think that a game with such a simple idea could be so good and so deep. Once you start playing though it actually has a way of pulling you in to the story and the consequences for you decisions. The game starts off easy enough, don't let this fool you though, as the game progresses there is a lot to take into consideration before letting someone though. You are paid on a per person basis and this forces you to try and balance getting the people through as fast as you can while trying to not let anything bad slip though. The game is semi-forgiving and you are allowed two mess ups a day, this sounds like plenty but you'd be surprised how many things will slip right past you. Right now you can get it on Steam for only $9.99 and for all the fun that the game provides that is a very low price. Expand
  28. Aug 12, 2013
    I started this game thinking it would get boring rather easily, but I was extremely wrong. All the mechanics are fantastic and fun. Everything is greatly tied into one big package and the story is just extremely fun to go through. I'd recommend it to anyone.
  29. Aug 14, 2013
    Strangely addicting! Your must complete your job with diligence and speed! You are paid for each person successfully processed through your check point. Glory to Arstotzka!
  30. Aug 16, 2013
    Surprisingly entertaining game, considering how simple it is. Gives some insight to a real-world passport control job. Graphics could be better, but it's not a big flaw in this case.
  31. Aug 26, 2013
    This is one of those unique games that, unless you are simply focused on the task at hand, carries with it profound questions about the nature of mankind and how we build societies.
  32. Aug 29, 2013
    This game is by no means absolutely perfect, but when a game is capable of making a mundane and seemingly bothersome task fun, I want to make babies with it.

Seriously guys, how do you make babies with a game.
    I would like to know.

Glory to Arstotzka.
  33. Sep 4, 2013
    It took two sentences about the concept and about 5 seconds to sink in before I said, "TAKE MY MONEY". It has completely lived up to my expectations. It manages to set a wonderful atmosphere with surprisingly little. It's elegantly designed, plays well, and makes me want to keep coming back for more. It has a story mode with 20 endings and an "endless" mode. I've found that doing theIt took two sentences about the concept and about 5 seconds to sink in before I said, "TAKE MY MONEY". It has completely lived up to my expectations. It manages to set a wonderful atmosphere with surprisingly little. It's elegantly designed, plays well, and makes me want to keep coming back for more. It has a story mode with 20 endings and an "endless" mode. I've found that doing the right thing in the story mode doesn't always get you a good outcome, and it's left me laughing more than once. I've also found myself moving too fast and swearing when I get written up for missing one of the many details that can be wrong, but if you don't move fast enough, you won't make enough money to take care of your family. It's a great combination of both the need for speed and the need for accuracy that makes it work. It's my favorite game of the year so far and I've even been to PAX and seen all sorts of new games! Expand
  34. Sep 13, 2013
    All the fun of a soviet-era bureaucrat!

I do miss the beta [Image perfectly depicting the text below] messages, but sadly that went and what we got was a novel, and very fantastic game.
  35. Sep 15, 2013
    Papers, Please is an original title that really shows you the meaning of 'indecisive'. The concept at first may sound quite boring, but once you get into it, you can't turn back. The immersion is amazing, no matter how pixelated the game is, and really gets to your empathetic side once the big decisions come in. You basically choose whether to be the good border officer, that falls for thePapers, Please is an original title that really shows you the meaning of 'indecisive'. The concept at first may sound quite boring, but once you get into it, you can't turn back. The immersion is amazing, no matter how pixelated the game is, and really gets to your empathetic side once the big decisions come in. You basically choose whether to be the good border officer, that falls for the sad stories or the bad border officer, that strictly follows the rules. But at the end of the day, you just need to keep your family alive and get through the struggle of being an Arstotzkan citizen. Well done Lucas Pope, well done.

Glory to Arstotzka.
  36. Sep 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This here has to be one of the greatest indie games I have come across in my life.

I love how in this game tells us about the communist country we have to 'Glorify' and support it by working as the border control. We have to investigate the people who attempt to pass into our country, catch criminals on the run, secretly work with the revolutionary group, and collect income to provide for our own family. The best part is, we have to do all of this at a simply desk job!

What I love best is have the game mechanics tells us that it is hard to do the kind things for people, as it would put you and your family at risk. I remember this one moment (P.S. SPOILER AHEAD!) when I allowed a man in, but he asked if I could allow his wife in as well, who did not have the right paperwork to enter. She begged me to let her in, otherwise she would be killed when she returns to her own country. But if I were to allow her in, I would not be my income rate to pay for rent, food and heat so that my family would survive. The game pressured me to do my job correctly or I would fail.

In conclusion, this thrilling documentary game has given me a lot to think about when it comes to moral choices, as I think it really can bring out the true sides of your character without telling me if I did the right thing. This game is a real masterpiece and I think everyone should pick it up!
  37. Sep 16, 2013
    Have you ever wanted to work puncher passports? Think it is very boring and not interesting job? In principle, yes but if you still want to try what it's like to manage other people's lives as if God is to count the thousands of documents in search of the slightest error? Believe me it's very interesting!
    We proved this man with the nickname 3909! It is so accurate puncher displayed
    We proved this man with the nickname 3909! It is so accurate puncher displayed the work that creates a feeling as if he had it worked! Stunning meticulousness. Imagine this exciting picture: You're looking at documents of another immigrants, try to do it quickly, because at home you will find a sick son of a terrible disease, and the more documents you check the more money you earn, but only because of the fact that the person whom you do not have the right to put (a flaw in the documents) begs you to let him offer more money, but maybe you will calculate and take away jobs because of taking bribes, but need money for treatment! And here you are torn. That in such moments you realize what's special about this very unusual game. An unforgettable story of a nameless puncher
  38. Sep 23, 2013
    This is a perfect example of what all indie developers should strive for.

This is a perfect example of what all indie developers should strive for.

You play a citizen of Arstotzka, which exists in the game's fictitious world (though with very obvious links to our real world), and you have been chosen as the border inspector of your area. Your job is to ensure that all authorized persons get in and all unauthorized persons don't. At least, as far as the Ministry of Labor is concerned.

You can't neglect your personal life, however. You still have a family to take care of. And since you get paid by the person rather than by the hour, you must either work quickly and accurately, or you'll lose everything.

Over your new career, you can expect to meet lots of interesting people. Some have lost their passport. Some are looking for other people. Some are criminals. And you're the one who casts the final word on whether they enter your country or not.

This is the only game I've played in which a LACK of quality-of-life features actually works TOWARDS the overall feel of the game. It puts an astounding amount of effort to emulate the job of border inspector, down to every motion. Papers have to be clicked and dragged to open and read them, and stamps have to be applied, and then papers have to be handed back to the entrant. A similar game could have just had you click on one of two buttons labeled "Approve" and "Deny" to automate the process, but I feel that NOT doing that helped the overall feel.

Always remember: Glory to Arstotzka.
  39. Sep 28, 2013
    It's kind of surprising how fun this game is, considering the overwhelming feel of misery and oppression the game has. Papers, Please is a game where you play as a border inspector, checking over paperwork, looking for inconsistencies, and making choices that impact many lives, including those of your family.

The gameplay can get intense at times as you hurry to process as many people

The gameplay can get intense at times as you hurry to process as many people correctly as possible. Papers, Please had me hooked very quickly, and never let go. I'm planning to continue playing even though I've beaten the story twice, just to get all the endings and maybe try out endless mode. There's not much music, but what's there is great and fits the game incredbily well. The graphics are beautiful. Arstotska is mostly devoid of color, and this game looks as it should. The game controls almost entirely with the mouse, allowing keyboard shortcuts if you have the money to buy them and increase your efficiency.

I picked up Papers, Please at full price, and it was absolutely worth it. This is one of the best indie games I've played, and I think it's absolutely worth $10. I'd recommend it to just about anyone.

Note: the game has a little non-sexual nudity that can be disabled in the options.
  40. Oct 8, 2013
    At first this game disturbed me because it was exactly like a job I had working in a call center for car insurance. Get name, match ID, match permit, make sure someone isn't trying to pawn off fake or expired information, which happens all the time, (all while attempting to do it as quickly as possible so you don't get in trouble for taking too long) and then do your best only to have yourAt first this game disturbed me because it was exactly like a job I had working in a call center for car insurance. Get name, match ID, match permit, make sure someone isn't trying to pawn off fake or expired information, which happens all the time, (all while attempting to do it as quickly as possible so you don't get in trouble for taking too long) and then do your best only to have your boss come down on you and be like "his permit was expired, did you even look?!"

But then this game becomes more complex. You're stuck at a job, not even making enough money to keep your family warm and fed, when someone offers you a bribe to let them in. Should you do the right thing and detain them? Or should you take the money to buy the medicine that your son so desperately needs?

I was shocked when I had to scan one of the immigrants so see if they were hiding any contraband and a fuzzy, dark, nude picture of them appears on my desk. The picture was so invasive, it reminded me instantly of a country where the people have no rights.

It's a surprisingly emotional game, with complex moral decisions.
  41. Nov 16, 2013
    Masterpiece.

Lucas Pope is a genius. The perfect match between simulation and graphic adventure. A game made by a one-person team succeeds where many AAA blockbusters fail (Heavy Rain, for example). Ok, maybe it's not for everyone. It requires little patience and gets harder and harder. But still is not hardcore gaming. It's art, in the form of a video-game. It make you feel lots of
    Masterpiece.

Ok, maybe it's not for everyone. It requires little patience and gets harder and harder. But still is not hardcore gaming. It's art, in the form of a video-game. It make you feel lots of stuff, not very seen in any other title. Emotions like self-shame, or guilt.

You will like this game if you are:

-a big fan of old school graphic adventures, but sick of almost every new title that just repeats the same formula.
    -a casual gamer who enjoys repetitive game play with great difficult curve
    -reader of classic science fiction novels like 1984
    -a citizen in a post-USSR dictatorship
    -an art lover, a humanist, who wants to know of new and exciting ways to express anger against governments with humour

Just one advice: Bigger impact if you know nothing about the game. So, do not read too many reviews!

Game Play and Mechanics: Challenging and entertaining.
    Plot: Not only good but perfectly integrated in game experience too.
    Graphics: Perfect. Couldn't serve better its purpose.
    Sound: Good. Just one song, lots of silence. Cheesy sound fx. Like graphics, it is what it has to be.
    Fun: Tones. And many other emotions too.
  42. Nov 28, 2013
    The first thing that you have to say about the game is that it is the exact opposite of adrenaline-filled action games. That doesn't mean that it doesn't fill you up with adrenaline each time you have to deny a husband entry along with his wife or choose whether a man is a terrorist or genuinely wishes to immigrate.
    The design in this game is genial, to say the least. While the objective
    The design in this game is genial, to say the least. While the objective in the entire game remains the same whether to allow or deny someone to pass the checkpoint, each level there is a new feature that keeps you on your guard. The graphics are humble, but in some way it actually helps portray the grim atmosphere that a border guard in a Communist country feels. The story, while there isn't that much of it up front, is still presented in pieces and is well thought. But the most amazing feature in this game is that it actually makes you think, what are you willing to do to survive? Are you willing to deny access to an innocent individual so that your family can get heating for the winter?
    Overall, this game deserves all the praise it receives. Truly an innovative, moving marvel.
  43. Dec 1, 2013
    This is an important game and worthy of your attention. This is the kind of game that advances the medium of video games and lends credence to the argument that not only are video games art, but that they can explore facets of the human experience that we otherwise would not be able to.

You play as an immigration/border control officer, and it's your responsibility to allow or deny people into your country. If someone gets into the country with false info, or if you turn away a valid candidate for entry, you get fined. Money is tight, you are the only person supporting your immediate and extended family. But as the documents start piling up, the stories get sadder and sadder, the bribes/espionage/underhanded deals become more and more complex, what will you do?

This game forces you to reflect on what kind of person you are, and how you view people around you. Do you worry only about yourself and your family? What about the wife who couldn't get a passport and will be killed if she's turned away? There are no easy choices, but you must make them.

10/10 and this game deserves to be in a museum as well.
  44. Jan 2, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. There's something so amazing about this game that is so hard to explain. Papers, Please is an interesting game, unlike everything you have saw before. This game has you dealing with choices which can affect someone's life to either become better or worse, example, there's a guy escaping from his country with his wife, his passport has no problems, however his wife's passport has, so now you have to choose either if you will to let her pass or not. The game is pretty difficult, requiring full attetion of the player into the game. The game starts simple and gets harder, but not into unfair hard, but fair hard, because if you do something wrong it is your fault not the game's fault. Overall this game gets a 9/10 to me, while the game is good, it is not something that everyone will like about it. Expand
  45. Jul 19, 2014
    A fun indie game that shows you the gloom of a job as a border control officer, I definitely recommend buying this game as it will truly put you in the seat of a border control officer, from the music to even the conversations you have with the people entering Arstotzka, it is a true dystopian document thriller, GLORY TO ARSTOTZKA!
  46. Aug 10, 2013
    This is a quirky but very fun game to be playing. I am surprised more games like this are not around, what the developer has done was made a game for one of the most likely of jobs and made it enjoyable and add the right sort of humour into the mix for effect. Played for hours and that was only the beta, brought it the minute that had finished and enjoying myself even more playing the fullThis is a quirky but very fun game to be playing. I am surprised more games like this are not around, what the developer has done was made a game for one of the most likely of jobs and made it enjoyable and add the right sort of humour into the mix for effect. Played for hours and that was only the beta, brought it the minute that had finished and enjoying myself even more playing the full version. Well worth the money to support quality gaming like this. Expand
  47. Aug 11, 2013
    The best games for me were Half-Life series and Deus Ex series. And here's the third one: Papers, please. Looks strange and simple for the first time, but a little time later can't close the game anymore. Really simple and addictive gameplay, good difficulty, 20 endings, lots of random, and, of course, the main one awesome story. This is the best indie game and one of the best gamesThe best games for me were Half-Life series and Deus Ex series. And here's the third one: Papers, please. Looks strange and simple for the first time, but a little time later can't close the game anymore. Really simple and addictive gameplay, good difficulty, 20 endings, lots of random, and, of course, the main one awesome story. This is the best indie game and one of the best games I've ever played. This is how one man can create a worldwide masterpiece. I'd like to see even more hardcore and more different situations in the game, but still 10 out of 10. Expand
  48. Aug 11, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. -Great original idea
    -Nice Utopic World
    -Interesting story
    -20 Endings
    -Simple but interesting gameplay

If you wanna enjoy and experience distopic world, buy this game.

I'ts worth evey penny you have spend
  49. Sep 2, 2013
    I joined the resistance. But not because I wanted to, I HAD to. It was the only way I could feed and buy medicine for my family who were sick. I was desperate.
    Papers please is one of the most immersive gaming experiences you will ever have.
  50. Aug 12, 2013
    this game should not be enjoyable in any way but it is it has one of the best story's in recent years all from a little company like this it has a great setting that i wish people would use more and for £7 it is brillent must buy
  51. Aug 12, 2013
    This game is totally unexpected from what I thought it was... it exceeded all my expectations, and is probably the best Indie I've ever played. I highly recommend this game.
  52. Aug 13, 2013
    This game is really unique and I had SO MUCH fun playing it. It is a little repetitive but it still tries to introduce a new element every day.
    I really loved feeling that I can help fighting against Arstotzka helping that mysterious man, and yet I didn't want to risk lives of my family. So I balanced on the edge deciding what is a too big risk and what I can try to do. Brilliant.
  53. Aug 13, 2013
    Man this game takes me back... I feel almost like I am playing a Nintendo game!! Give us more! This has quirky music, an interesting story line and addictive mechanics. A+
  54. Aug 14, 2013
    Awesome game. I am all up for short games/mini games that doesn't hook you up for days and weeks. This is the perfect game to play with when I have few hours to kill. would give 10 if they bump up the graphics. But this is just a minor issue, really. It's all about the gameplay experience, which they did deliver.
  55. Aug 14, 2013
    This game is absolutely groundbreaking. So many scenarios and consequences that drastically impact the future of the game. Making just a couple mistakes can leave your family starving or your children cold and a terrorist attack during your work shift could leave your family without medicine. Extremely well executed game with dynamic yet simple gameplay.
  56. Aug 14, 2013
    This game really is great because it engages you as a player. It really makes you think and make some difficult choices. The story is interesting, the gameplay is unique, it's just all-around awesome. Papers, Please is an absolutely brilliantly executed game.
  57. Aug 15, 2013
    The beta/demo was already very good. The full version just takes it to the next level. Decisions in your "daily work", which gets more complicated as you progress in the game, are what makes this game interesting. Let the begging woman trough and be punished with getting less money or feeding your sick child? That's what you have to be ready for.
    The Artstyle is simplistic but looks good
    The Artstyle is simplistic but looks good and fits its purpose. The faces of the characters which come to your shelter are (mostly) easy to identify.
  58. Aug 15, 2013
    Totally minimalistic yet absolutely addicting. I had no urge to play the endless mode after finishing the campaign mode, but i'll most likely replay it for the different endings. Definitely worth the price.
  59. Aug 15, 2013
    This game keeps you wanting more! I found myself unable to leave the game alone until I had found all of the endings. I found it satisfyingly challenging, and I think that at that price tag, its practically a steal!
  60. Aug 16, 2013
    Though Papers, Please looks like a failure, it is well worth the time invested. Trying to keep your family alive while showing mercy or punishing the people trying to pass through is quite addicted. Couple this addicting gameplay with the dreary graphics and music creates a beautiful masterpiece.
  61. Aug 17, 2013
    I loved this game. I haven't seen something this original in a while, and i enjoyed every freaking second. The visuals match the feeling perfectly, the story is brilliant, and the gameplay is tense, fast-paced and focused. First, the gameplay. I've never played anything like this before, it gives you a feeling of control and pressure, it executes characters in a way that you would expectI loved this game. I haven't seen something this original in a while, and i enjoyed every freaking second. The visuals match the feeling perfectly, the story is brilliant, and the gameplay is tense, fast-paced and focused. First, the gameplay. I've never played anything like this before, it gives you a feeling of control and pressure, it executes characters in a way that you would expect if you actually worked at a country's checkpoint. Every decision you make matters, and it doesn't take back talk- if you screw up, it's for good. It's a genius implementation and it makes the game feel really intense. Every day on the job gets harder as the story progresses, making every little detail important. I love the layout of the GUI, letting the player place the papers and documents in their own fashion is great, it gives them the sense of order and control. You really feel like you work in a checkpoint. Now, the story. I won't give away any spoilers, but it's just genius. I like the idea of depending on how many people you get correct, the more money you get, and certain events can effect that. Keeping your family happy and secure is a great way to give you that feeling of guilt when you mess up or get sloppy. The people you meet really feel like real people you would see at a checkpoint. Especially later in the story, where some story triggered events happen, giving you a real visceral feeling of morality. I worked on this game and finished it in about 8 hours, so not a very long experience, but absolutely breath-taking and very worth the price. I highly recommend this game. 10 out of 10. Expand
  62. Aug 17, 2013
    This is one of the best games I have ever played. It's just PERFECT. The story, the mechanics, the graphics...everything is just perfect !
    Don't look at the trailer or gameplay videos. You have to try the game for yourself.
  63. Aug 17, 2013
    Papers, Please Review

by: William Valdes Originally posted at: http://www.yeahyeahcool.com/2013/08/18/papers-please-review/ It’s the winter of 1982 in the Russian-esque nation of ‘Arstotzka’ and you’ve been lucky enough to land a job working for the Ministry Of Admissions. As an Immigrations Clerk, you call up weary, 8-bit people to your booth and greet them with ‘Papers, please.’
    Papers, Please Review

by: William Valdes

It’s the winter of 1982 in the Russian-esque nation of ‘Arstotzka’ and you’ve been lucky enough to land a job working for the Ministry Of Admissions. As an Immigrations Clerk, you call up weary, 8-bit people to your booth and greet them with ‘Papers, please.’ The would-be traveler hands you his/her passport, which you inspect and apply either the green stamp of approval or the red stamp of denial. There are a wide range of discrepancies to look out for as you scan through documents and cross-reference them with your rule book, regional data, and the appearance of the person standing before you. Sometimes even all of your skills of deduction aren’t enough and you’ll require fingerprint checks and fully-nude body scans (nudity can be toggled in the options menu). Your job gets harder as each day brings new items on your desk, more rules and procedures you need to follow, details you have to look out for, financial opportunities and moral dilemmas but family is your top priority.

The stakes are raised when you realize that your family depends on you. At a minimum, you need enough daily funds for rent, food, and heat, with other expenses cropping up occasionally. Since you’re paid per interaction, you’re under pressure to quickly process as many travelers as you possibly can within each given work day. This can be tough sometimes as you must balance speed and efficiency. Throughout the game, your character’s personal and professional challenges become more and more complicated as they inevitably start to impact each other. If you slip up or turn in a lackluster performance on the job, you may compromise the security of your nation but it’s your family that will ultimately suffer the consequences.

Living on the borderlines between multiple genres, this is sort of a game without a country but one I’d happily give the green stamp of approval. This game is both stressful and mundane at times but also filled with moments that are interesting, suspenseful, and satisfying. It’s one of the strangest, most unique game-playing experiences I’ve had in a long time and also one of the best I’ve had all year. Glory to Arstotzka!

A
  64. Aug 19, 2013
    I first caught wind of this peculiar game when I briefly worked for a small-time website. I decided to look into it for myself about the game and I was impressed by its concept.

Being a checkpoint officer looking at a bunch of immigration documents may seem like it's boring work, but throw in the constant threat of terrorists looking to breach the safety of the wall, coupled with the fact that you have a large family to look after (seeing as how you're the only breadwinner), makes for an unforgettable experience. Trying to follow protocol as quickly and as accurately as possible is much harder than it looks, as your superiors are constantly monitoring your work. For example, the lady you just stamped a visa for had as minor a detail as the wrong gender on her passport. Of course, practice makes (almost) perfect; some days you can get through without a hitch, others you missed a slight detail or two.

The concept is well-built into the story. Especially with a guy named Jorji. Once you've played through it, you'll come to like Jorji as I have. Developer Lucas Pope made a fantastic game and I'll be sure to keep a watch for more title from him.
  65. Aug 22, 2013
    This game is great. Challenging, lots of choices which matter, looks and sounds just like it should, days are short enough to never feel like a chore yet too long to redo for every single mistake unless you're going for a specific ending. And there will be mistakes..
    For those who consider it too difficult: At first I got a lot of citations because of incorrect issuing city or, even worse, Arstotzkan district, so now I keep a list of those near my monitor. I suppose strictly speaking it is cheating, but then again you memorize most or all of them pretty fast anyway.

I got no complaints and no idea on how this game could be improved, a solid 10/10
  66. Aug 22, 2013
    Strangely absorbing game where you simulate work as a border control inspector during the communist era eastern bloc and have to work to feed your family. A great example of gameplay over graphics, must be played to be believed
  67. Aug 28, 2013
    I love this game, I think that it is amazing. I had the Beta and found it was a great concept but lacking depth, and this is exactly what the full release brings to the table, depth, and a whole lot of it. I love the way the game is also like a constant tutorial how every-other day new things introduced to make my life harder, but more security to the border. It adds depth by not justI love this game, I think that it is amazing. I had the Beta and found it was a great concept but lacking depth, and this is exactly what the full release brings to the table, depth, and a whole lot of it. I love the way the game is also like a constant tutorial how every-other day new things introduced to make my life harder, but more security to the border. It adds depth by not just giving you moral choices, but financial choices. Will I be better off accepting a bribe but getting a citation? Should I sell that watch or should I keep it? And the moral choices start early on, can you tell if they're telling the truth that if yo deny them they'll get killed, how do you feel about that? Or letting someone in that could kill someone even though they have all their correct documents?

I hope that I have convinced someone out there to buy this game as it really deserves someone attention and play time!
  68. Aug 30, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Papers, Please is an excellent game. It has a beautiful art style, wonderful music, and a story unlike any other. Although the concept of completing paperwork may be boring to some, but the game keeps you on edge, from the beginning to the end. This game may be difficult for some, but the thrill of it all is finding out what is going to happen next. The controls are unique, and you can drag papers around freely, making the game a fair simulation, and all of the documents are unique for every person that enters the checkpoint, so every person has their own story, and personality, for that matter.

There are only a few things that agitated me while playing this game: The time bomb event was tedious, and really required either the mind of a genius, or a lot of patience. But that didn't ruin the entire game for me, as it only happened once and never again.

The story is enhanced by the multiple side-stories; The largest being you having to take care of your family. You receive payment for doing your job quickly and flawlessly, and the home you are given needs to be paid for. There is one man who reappears multiple times trying to sneak drugs into your country, Arstotzka, and you have to stop him. There also are the country coins, which can be collected by allowing certain people into the country, when their documentation is not completely correct.

For $10.00, this game is certainly worth the price. If you purchase this game, which is highly recommended, then try to find all 20 endings. Good luck!
  69. Aug 30, 2013
    Beatiful game, that never let you out, before you complete it. You must solve for yourself: approve or deny entry. Woman can be without passport, but her son and husband is waiting... The war changing people... They changing you... You should buy it
  70. Aug 31, 2013
    This game is really great and gives constant reminders that the game wants you to pay attention. It is hard to say something bad about such a great game except that it is a little hard, even easy crutch( but i'm bad at most games so don't think it's too hard), and it is hard to remember somethings(again i have a bad memory). but other than that it is a great game that i would give 9.5 if iThis game is really great and gives constant reminders that the game wants you to pay attention. It is hard to say something bad about such a great game except that it is a little hard, even easy crutch( but i'm bad at most games so don't think it's too hard), and it is hard to remember somethings(again i have a bad memory). but other than that it is a great game that i would give 9.5 if i could. I recommend buying it for it's small price of $10. Thanks for listening! Expand
  71. Aug 31, 2013
    Outstanding GAME! I've bought the game and it was worth it. The story is amazing whoever wrote it deserves a trophy! Overall: Good and maybe a bit longer I guess.
  72. Sep 1, 2013
    This is a class game. Dont be fooled by the graphics. They actually add something to the 1982 communist theme. This is a game full of substance and very very addictive for a reason that somehow eludes me. Perhaps it is the power of state on the peasants whilst making a lil on the side. Saying that most of my family died the first time after playing and then I was imprisoned forThis is a class game. Dont be fooled by the graphics. They actually add something to the 1982 communist theme. This is a game full of substance and very very addictive for a reason that somehow eludes me. Perhaps it is the power of state on the peasants whilst making a lil on the side. Saying that most of my family died the first time after playing and then I was imprisoned for backhanders. Great game. On top of that, it costs about £5. Winning. Expand
  73. Sep 18, 2013
    Papers, Please is a unique game that require your full attention.
    In this game you are chosen from a lottery to work at a border in Artstozka to keep your family healthy and well fed.
  74. Sep 7, 2013
    It's October 1982 and your name is pulled from the labor lottery which makes you the newest employee of the Ministry of Admissions in Arstotzka You are immediately assigned to a newly acquired Grestin Border Checkpoint which is not all that secure a lot of people are trying to get in and it's your job to make sure that the right people are getting in and the wrong people are stayingIt's October 1982 and your name is pulled from the labor lottery which makes you the newest employee of the Ministry of Admissions in Arstotzka You are immediately assigned to a newly acquired Grestin Border Checkpoint which is not all that secure a lot of people are trying to get in and it's your job to make sure that the right people are getting in and the wrong people are staying behind.

Although the gameplay is simplistic you will find that the difficulty ramps up very quickly as you are given more documents to sort through. This difficulties compound by the fact you are trying to earn as much money as possible by processing as many people as you can in order to feed and support your family. While this creates a lot of tension in the game it has unfortunate side effect that also makes the interface more cluttered which can have a disadvantageous effect when you are trying to juggle all the different papers, it can become very confusing and very frustrating.

This is really a minor complaint because overall the game is absolutely excellent, the story is immersive and there is a lot of interesting characters throughout but what makes this game so special is its atmosphere, from the RT soundtrack to the excellent dialogue, you legitimately feel that you are a part of a war-torn communist steep.

In conclusion, Papers,pleas is an incredibly unique game that I think everybody should experience.
  75. Sep 13, 2013
    This is an unexpectedly wonderful game. It looks at first like something that might have been released for the Spectrum 48K 30 years ago then goes on to reveal addictive gameplay, great atmosphere and a bleak backstory that really draws you in. Want to make a choice between feeding your family, and buying your son a packet of crayons for his birthday? What about when you get heavily finedThis is an unexpectedly wonderful game. It looks at first like something that might have been released for the Spectrum 48K 30 years ago then goes on to reveal addictive gameplay, great atmosphere and a bleak backstory that really draws you in. Want to make a choice between feeding your family, and buying your son a packet of crayons for his birthday? What about when you get heavily fined for hanging the charming childish drawing he then does for you on your wall at work, and you have to let him sicken and die?

I found myself getting utterly ruthless, ignoring the pleas of desperate pixelated people with dodgy paperwork, detaining them without mercy in order to get a tiny bonus so that my family might eat another day. It has a surprisingly profound emotional effect for a kind of real-time strategy game with incredibly basic graphics.

There are lots of different endings to aim for too, apparently. I haven't even yet played it out to a favourable conclusion, having been arrested, blown up or seen my whole family starve. Brilliant indie game, reasonably priced too. Never has a grinding dead-end job simulator been such fun.
  76. Sep 17, 2013
    Finding everything and playing out all the scenarios is very rewarding! Besides being challenging it's thought provoking too. My first play through I barely survived but my whole family was dead!
  77. Sep 21, 2013
    This is a puzzle game where the player has 'won' the privilege of being selected to work border patrol in a fictional eastern bloc country in the early 80's. You are tasked with determining who can and cannot gain entry into the country by examining their documents and looking for errors and forgeries. This is not a game for everyone. The whole premise is built around your attention toThis is a puzzle game where the player has 'won' the privilege of being selected to work border patrol in a fictional eastern bloc country in the early 80's. You are tasked with determining who can and cannot gain entry into the country by examining their documents and looking for errors and forgeries. This is not a game for everyone. The whole premise is built around your attention to detail. It sort of reminds me of those sections in newspapers where you try to find the differences between two pictures.

The core gameplay stays the same, you never leave your booth. However, new rules, regulations, and abilities make each day slightly different and will challenge even the most obsessive compulsive person. You are a poorly paid bureaucrat in a fascist nation. Will you take the bribe to let someone through? It may be the difference between your son getting medicine or dying. Is the risk worth it or will your superiors notice?

I think I had the most fun playing with my girlfriend and working together to look for discrepancies. It especially helped during the more difficult sections where multiple documents must be inspected at once.

The graphic style and music is very basic but the whole thing works out well. There's a black humor that pervades the game and keeps it interesting. Overall the game is very unique and interesting if nothing else. I feel I got my money's worth and would be interested to see an expansion or sequel to this premise.
  78. Sep 21, 2013
    Made me feel empathy with a group of people that I'd never ever considered border inspectors, as well as deepen my empathy for the people that are denied by them and even those that get through the process. One of the most interesting games I've ever played, certainly of this year. I admit the core mechanic can get repetitive and tedious towards the end, especially if you play it in oneMade me feel empathy with a group of people that I'd never ever considered border inspectors, as well as deepen my empathy for the people that are denied by them and even those that get through the process. One of the most interesting games I've ever played, certainly of this year. I admit the core mechanic can get repetitive and tedious towards the end, especially if you play it in one sitting (which you can do!) but it also maintains tension throughout the the entirety of the game because of the high stakes. Play this game. Expand
  79. Sep 22, 2013
    At first I thought it'll be like another repetitive Miniclip flashgame (haha), Papers, Please is in every sense of the words 'more than meets the eye'. It stretches a very simple concept beautifully, with very conscience-poking, enervating and unsettling yet very possible and realistic elements and scenarios churned with it. The graphics are old-school retro that fits perfectly with thatAt first I thought it'll be like another repetitive Miniclip flashgame (haha), Papers, Please is in every sense of the words 'more than meets the eye'. It stretches a very simple concept beautifully, with very conscience-poking, enervating and unsettling yet very possible and realistic elements and scenarios churned with it. The graphics are old-school retro that fits perfectly with that ominous songpiece that grows on you.

For $10, it's a worth play away from 'heavier' games like shooters etc, a completely different style that all gamers should try. Just a -1 for the salary and the family sometimes the game kind of forces you to focus too much on the that it brings you a little away from the overall core of the game. TRY IT!
  80. Sep 28, 2013
    I have played hours and hours of this game, It makes you think, it makes you CARE about your family and really brings to life the world that you live in, it can at times feel like "work" but even as such it feels fun because you don't want to 'disappoint" your family when people start getting sick and you have to chose between giving people meds and giving them heat and food. the choicesI have played hours and hours of this game, It makes you think, it makes you CARE about your family and really brings to life the world that you live in, it can at times feel like "work" but even as such it feels fun because you don't want to 'disappoint" your family when people start getting sick and you have to chose between giving people meds and giving them heat and food. the choices become all too real, masterpiece! Expand
  81. Oct 1, 2013
    I really must say I was surprised when I actually found out I liked this game. It made me think and become immersed in something so simple and routine. The story line is small, but fun, and the UI is simple, yet has that modern-day gaming feel. In my mind, it felt like I was playing a 21st Century Super Mario Bros.

This Indie-Title has a lot to offer for so little a game. The features

This Indie-Title has a lot to offer for so little a game. The features included made it easy to explore the entire story and find the different endings.

Although I would appreciate more immense Endless options, the options included within will keep you entertained.

Good Job!
  82. Oct 9, 2013
    A damn fine experience. This game is something genuinely unique and while I would have loved for get even more it was still more than I see from most any other game out there. Specifics are hard to get into but it is an interesting of blending precision with tedium. Word of warning, this is a puzzle game more than you would realize but it is one that somehow managed to make that is boringA damn fine experience. This game is something genuinely unique and while I would have loved for get even more it was still more than I see from most any other game out there. Specifics are hard to get into but it is an interesting of blending precision with tedium. Word of warning, this is a puzzle game more than you would realize but it is one that somehow managed to make that is boring seems fun! Crazy? You bet! And yet it's true. If you're hesitant, check out Youtube or wait for a Steam sale. This is definitely something to consider when you have the time. Expand
  83. Oct 14, 2013
    My expectations may not have been the highest for this game, but picking it up, it's hard to put away. The graphics are old-school pixel-style which has been big in the indie-scene for some time now, and it may be a bit of a cop-out, but the story is engaging in it's simplicity and the mechanics of the game are great. The learning curve sits just right, and the game stays with you. WellMy expectations may not have been the highest for this game, but picking it up, it's hard to put away. The graphics are old-school pixel-style which has been big in the indie-scene for some time now, and it may be a bit of a cop-out, but the story is engaging in it's simplicity and the mechanics of the game are great. The learning curve sits just right, and the game stays with you. Well worth the bucks, question is how it does with playing it again and again... Expand
  84. Oct 14, 2013
    You can't imagine how checking passports could be an intriguing gaming experience? Neither could I. But that's the case here. I wouldn't use the term fun, but after 4 hours into the game I want more. The mechanic is simple; you have to match data and take notice of discrepancies. As the story develops your task is becoming increasingly more difficult, as the data that needs checking isYou can't imagine how checking passports could be an intriguing gaming experience? Neither could I. But that's the case here. I wouldn't use the term fun, but after 4 hours into the game I want more. The mechanic is simple; you have to match data and take notice of discrepancies. As the story develops your task is becoming increasingly more difficult, as the data that needs checking is building up. The game starts very slowly, but in time it gets very interesting as you meet characters and sunk ever deeper into the world of Papers, Please. You get to know all kind of little personal stories and have to make some tough decisions. You will find, that in a situation like this, you can't stay a 100% morally flawless person. You'll also find, that this game does rivet you in front of your PC by tickling your intellect. This is so rare and that's only one thing why this game deserves the highest rating. The art style, the writing and every other aspect comes together perfectly. Recommended! Expand
  85. Oct 15, 2013
    Have you ever wanted to feel like what it is like on THEIR side of the border checkpoint? Well this is the PERFECT border checkpoint simulator. You may think it's just denying and accepting random people. Well, no. It's actually really fun and it has more to it than just that to it. It includes humorous, mysterious, and random events that occur which makes it definitely worth playing.Have you ever wanted to feel like what it is like on THEIR side of the border checkpoint? Well this is the PERFECT border checkpoint simulator. You may think it's just denying and accepting random people. Well, no. It's actually really fun and it has more to it than just that to it. It includes humorous, mysterious, and random events that occur which makes it definitely worth playing. Those actions could affect the storyline in a good, or bad, way. There are actually 20, count em' TWENTY, endings to the game. Papers, Please is an outstanding and addicting game and certainly outstanding for an indie game with an amazing story to it. It's not a dull, normal day at the border checkpoint. It's not ordinary. It's not stuff that happens every day. It was definitely worth playing the story and definitely worth paying for. GLORY TO ARSTOTZKA!!!!! Expand
  86. Oct 17, 2013
    There’s no way any number of reviews could have prompted me to buy this game. It took a personal recommendation from a trusted friend to get me to pick up “Papers, Please,” and even then I was skeptical. After 20 minutes of playing, I was mesmerized by the cadence, the intelligence, the humor, and the addictive nature of the game, and simultaneously mortified that there are people whoThere’s no way any number of reviews could have prompted me to buy this game. It took a personal recommendation from a trusted friend to get me to pick up “Papers, Please,” and even then I was skeptical. After 20 minutes of playing, I was mesmerized by the cadence, the intelligence, the humor, and the addictive nature of the game, and simultaneously mortified that there are people who actually look at passports all day long for a living.

Don’t get me wrong, Papers, Please is a great game, thoroughly entertaining, challenging, and surprisingly effective at drawing you into the narrative. While you might shudder a bit at just how real it all feels the developers did much to make your booth feel cramped and claustrophobic it rewards meticulous attention to detail and quick adaptability, as any good strategy game should. And it keeps you wanting to play just a bit longer in order to see what happens the following day.

A great investment for $10 or less, Papers, Please combines a surprising amount of depth and a compelling narrative with solid gameplay that keeps you on your toes. If only the graphics were modern, bringing out the detail of all the people, passports, and papers you encounter, Papers, Please would rate an easy 10.
  87. Oct 20, 2013
    Checking documents... What could be more boring? Wrong. Thanks to Papers, Please you can feel your importance at last! You can decide who is passing your checkpoint. You can help those who are in need or you can help terrorists. You'll be facing moral dilemmas and your choices will affect your or your country's life. Papers, Please is great.
  88. Oct 28, 2013
    Papers, Please, is an amazing Cold War Nostalgia, distopian thriller with lots of options and great story-telling. A story about a civil servant in a wide variety of situations, which surpasses many thrillers I've watched and read. Its not even light on gameplay, as just the simple interactions with would-be immigrants can be played out in several different ways with several differentPapers, Please, is an amazing Cold War Nostalgia, distopian thriller with lots of options and great story-telling. A story about a civil servant in a wide variety of situations, which surpasses many thrillers I've watched and read. Its not even light on gameplay, as just the simple interactions with would-be immigrants can be played out in several different ways with several different choices, and how well you do your job reflects the outcome.

If you like mysteries, or thriller stories, or puzzles, bureaucracy and management, anything like that, you should love this game.
  89. Oct 30, 2013
    Papers, please may seem boring at the first look., but it will surprise you with it's simple yet addicting gameplay and a unique, perfectly executed idea. It's the Grim Fandago of this generation. I definitely recommend this game.
  90. Nov 5, 2013
    Pixels
    Simplicity
    Idea
    Simple plot
    Great gameplay

Some of many benefits which make you play this game all the time.

All hail Arstotzka :D :D :D
  91. Nov 5, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is one of the best indie games I have played. It adds content everyday, making it harder and harder. You check the paper work of the immigrants coming through your country or staying in your country, and sometimes killing people in your country. But you want to know what happens next or is someone going to die, making it SO good. One thing that's bad is when you let in someone with bad information you get two warnings and if get let through three people with bad information you get fined 5 credits, so making wounder why you are here. The people with bad information tell you a sob story so you can let them through and get fined or don't let them through. So the game has two option be a person who lets people with bad information, and get fined, or care for your family. BUY THIS GAME! Expand
  92. Nov 6, 2013
    Unique games very good progression, i drink alot of coffee before playing this game very good value. multiple endings and branching stories. what else can i say but GLORY TO ARISTOZKA
  93. Nov 8, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The visual style of the game gives the gameplay and background story even more boost. While most of the indie games are neat, this stands up as an extraordinary experience as a regular person doing regular job in a government so vile, that ''Glory to Arstotzka'' gives me chills. Expand
  94. Nov 9, 2013
    This is the kind of game that was made for people with OCD, such as myself, though people without the explainable compulsion disorder will appreciate and like it to, but I will definitely agree, this game is NOT for everyone. It pulls at your heart when a woman who is not permitted to go through with her husband, and YOU'RE the one who must choose between letting her pass or not. A lot canThis is the kind of game that was made for people with OCD, such as myself, though people without the explainable compulsion disorder will appreciate and like it to, but I will definitely agree, this game is NOT for everyone. It pulls at your heart when a woman who is not permitted to go through with her husband, and YOU'RE the one who must choose between letting her pass or not. A lot can be said about this game, but I'd say to just try it for yourself. Expand
  95. Nov 11, 2013
    This game is by far one of the BEST indie titles I've played in a while. Indie games continue to surprise me and leave me in awe. I hope I get the privilege to play more games like this, and I will highly recommend this game to anyone who hasn't played it. It is a mess of puzzle-solving, and real-life scenarios to perfectly describe the immigration system today. The graphics are bad, butThis game is by far one of the BEST indie titles I've played in a while. Indie games continue to surprise me and leave me in awe. I hope I get the privilege to play more games like this, and I will highly recommend this game to anyone who hasn't played it. It is a mess of puzzle-solving, and real-life scenarios to perfectly describe the immigration system today. The graphics are bad, but it adds to the impact of the "this is how life works" and "this is what's happening RIGHT NOW". I don't want to spoil any more of the game for you, so please, give this game a chance!
    10/10 "Amazing"
  96. Nov 15, 2013
    Simply amazing game.

The story line arch is very interesting, not to mention that they have a multiple ending. To reach a specific ending you have to do a specific set of actions. The good thing : - Fast-paced actions. The money you receive is dependent on how much people you have processed. As days/game progressed, the documents need to be checked are expanding, and the procedures
    Simply amazing game.

The good thing :
    - Fast-paced actions. The money you receive is dependent on how much people you have processed. As days/game progressed, the documents need to be checked are expanding, and the procedures are getting harder to abide by.
    - Hard enough. There are a lot of things to check. Has the passport expired? Has the passport have the correct issuing city? Is the person really male? Is the person carrying contrabands? Is it usual for "just visiting" visitor have visa for 60 days? Etc.
    - Some moral choices. No spoilers.
    - Never gets repetitive. The procedures are changed day to day, you will not use the same thing over and over

Bad :
    - Music sometimes get repetitive
  97. Nov 18, 2013
    Truly a unique game. It really fits no genre and is practically impossible to describe.However, I feel that anyone with a good sense of humor and appreciation for what one independent developer can accomplish will definitely get $10 worth out of this game. Easily the best game I've played all year.
  98. Dec 6, 2013
    Sigh, the moral and economic dilemmas of an immigration inspector. Great concept, easy to pick up, and a surprisingly intriguing storyline unfolds. There's multiple endings too that add to replay value. I love it, and you probably will too.
  99. Dec 7, 2013
    What makes an indie game great is not good game play, or even great graphics. It's a truly unique idea which is exactly what this game is! However what is so good is not the routine of checking passports. It is the thrill from planned moments within the game. People begging to let you in, having to find for yourself from a terrorist attack and meeting common faces. Yet it is all that moreWhat makes an indie game great is not good game play, or even great graphics. It's a truly unique idea which is exactly what this game is! However what is so good is not the routine of checking passports. It is the thrill from planned moments within the game. People begging to let you in, having to find for yourself from a terrorist attack and meeting common faces. Yet it is all that more satisfying on completion when the credits show and it's just the name "Lucas Pope". The man who made this fantastic game with an insight to communist politics. Expand
  100. Dec 14, 2013
    This game was a really fun indie work game,my favorite, because of the nice story,sound effects in full version, and the overall 16 bit graphics. This game got repetitive and it got harder as I progressed in the game. I thought the game got boring, but then I realized that the game was doing this on purpose. This game gets a 9 because of the fact that the time is fast and does not giveThis game was a really fun indie work game,my favorite, because of the nice story,sound effects in full version, and the overall 16 bit graphics. This game got repetitive and it got harder as I progressed in the game. I thought the game got boring, but then I realized that the game was doing this on purpose. This game gets a 9 because of the fact that the time is fast and does not give you enough time to probe over every little thing your supposed to, also the fact that your desk gets cluttered with all the paper work. Still this game did this on purpose I suppose but, I don't like that way of things when playing a good game like Papers, please. Thanks Lucas Pope. Expand

1. Jan 2, 2014
    Papers, Please gives you a simple task that doesn't ask a lot of you. The game outgrows its mechanics though, by appealing to your moral compass and emotions. This indie game will get under your skin, will have you feeling uncomfortable and have you think about yourself, as a person.
  2. Oct 14, 2013
    An incredibly impressive little game, from its understated old-school art style to its ability to make you feel uncomfortable with how much you enjoy catching criminals trying to trick their way into your country.
  3. Oct 5, 2013
    Papers, Please is not only original but fun, too. More papers, please! [Sept 2013]