7.9

1. Apr 22, 2013
    Papo & Yo is an extremely personal work like only few others in the industry. It is a clear message to the industry: games can be more than space marines. Games can be more, games can be autobiographical using game mechanics as a tool for addressing a message. A beautiful game.
  2. Mar 15, 2014
    This is possibly the most beautiful and emotionally moving game I've ever played. The visual style and puzzle design is as whimsical as Psychonauts. It's not a challenging game, because the point of the game is story and mood.

If you grew up with an abusive alcoholic parent, then Papo & Yo will make you feel like a kid again.
  3. Aug 4, 2013
    This is honestly one of the best games I've ever played. I picked it up on a whim on sale and played through it... it's a truly moving story. If you're on the fence about buying it, just get it. It's worth it. There were a few minor issues with slowdown here and there, but it really didn't detract from this amazing experience.
  4. May 2, 2013
    This is a branch that is severely neglected by designers nowadays. Designers blinded by childhood fantasies, sales and "having fun". Games can be much more, as movies can heal and teach, games can be an even better tool at this, involving you even more, and flowing and shaping like water
  5. Apr 24, 2013
    Amazing game, great and beautiful story, ingenious gameplay. Proof that videogame is an art. The soundtrack is amazing, and the design of the game is really gorgeous.
  6. May 4, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. My god. This game dredged up memories of a time when I had to let go of a best friend of mine because of illegal drug use. It was alcohol specifically, that made me decide. In the moment when he broke into a liquor cabinet and began to get drunk, (while of course being underage.), I was afraid. I let him get drunker and drunker, and when he was stumbling around and falling down, I got in my car, (which had his stuff and the stuff of the people who were with us.) and I left and drove to his parents house. I deposited everyone's stuff on the front porch and rang the doorbell and told his dad where he was and what he was doing. Afterwords, I never looked back. I haven't seen him in years now, nor do I want to, but I just know, if I saw him again I could become friends again with him easily. But I took the harder route of not forgiving him and simply letting him go. The ending of Papo and Yo was a metaphor for an actual moment in my life, and it was one of if not THE most, moving ending to a video game I have ever seen. Millage may vary for other people, but at least for me, I felt very moved. It was just like revisiting that moment again, but this time, I was able to let go more easily. This is a game that simply must be played. It is a beautiful piece of art. Expand
  7. May 19, 2013
    Papo & Yo is a powerful illustration of what it is like to be an abused child. The game explores the fearful, codependent relationship of a child living with an alcoholic father. As an adult child of an abusive parent, I can interpret it as an intimate illustration of my own personal journey. The interaction of the player with Monster is like therapy, in the same way that therapists usePapo & Yo is a powerful illustration of what it is like to be an abused child. The game explores the fearful, codependent relationship of a child living with an alcoholic father. As an adult child of an abusive parent, I can interpret it as an intimate illustration of my own personal journey. The interaction of the player with Monster is like therapy, in the same way that therapists use roleplay techniques that encourage you to the difficult but necessary task of facing your pain, processing your feelings about it, & moving past it into the freedom of who you are meant to be.

The codependent relationship of Monster & Quico may anger someone who is lucky enough to have grown up in a happy home. The child depends upon Monster for survival, but he must also take care of the wounded parent & serve to meet the parent's emotional needs at the expense of his own innocence and safety. Monster is docile & uninterested in Quico except for how Quico may care for him, but he goes out of his way to rescue Quico if needed. I like this because it is an example of the confusion created by the abuser, who tempers his abuse with kindness. The player is always on edge because Monster's kindness turns to fury as the whole world turns dark & red as he explodes into a flaming rage, pouring out all of his fury on the child, cruelly battering him, taking away his only comforts, and then going back to his docile self with no regard for what he has done, or what Quico has lost.

The end of the game is a bittersweet, emotional sense of closure. The whole environment, a childlike world inside Quico's mind, begins to fall apart as the player begins to face the truth of his situation, & there is nothing left but to face all the pain straight on. There is no violence, no revenge. I would suspect that acting on your anger towards your abusive parent would turn you into a monster yourself. But you must do something else, which is even more emotionally difficult, but altogether right. I had to lay my controller down and cry with my head in my hands when I realized what I had to do. It was a raw moment of pure grief. In that moment it was no longer about the game, but about my own abusive parent who is incapable of changing, & the realization that there is only one choice for me in order to be whole and move on. The bravery of acting out my only choice at the end gave me the bravery to do the same in my life.

I am going to be ok.

Papo & Yo is the vulnerable expression of someone who has walked the same difficult path before me & is not only ok, but turned it into a passion to make something authentic and beautiful. It fills me to the brim with hope in more than one way. When I graduated high school seven years ago, I played ICO, and knew I wanted to be a game designer. I knew I had talent, potential, & a special artistic vision. I understood the unexplored possibilities of game design as an expressive art medium. I wanted to create games that gently stirred something deep in the player in same way that music, books, & film does, but with the element of interaction that emotionally engages the viewer in a way that only games can. I wanted to give children hope, alone and cut off from all help except for the entertainment that they escape into, just as I did. But at the time there was little to nothing like that in the industry. I could accomplish little for myself while I was still taking care of my Monster. I spent my whole 20's trying to save my monster.

But now, oh now! I have let my Monster go! And brave developers like Minority are blazing a trail in the industry with authentic games that sell, proving that games like just like this one are marketable. When I am ready, there will be a place for me. I'm grateful and excited to begin a new journey to turn my renewed passion into something that will touch people's lives who might not find the hope they need in any other way.

If you have been fortunate enough to grow up in a happy home and have difficulty relating to this game, then that's alright. If you haven't been abused, the game is not going to intensely effect you if you cannot relate. It may feel like just another platformer (with beautiful reproductions of actual street art around the world, whimsical environments, and a gorgeous soundtrack). To be honest, that is a good thing. Papo & Yo isn't so much about entertaining you as it is about creating awareness & hope for those who are abused, on a medium that is safe & accessible to children. But for those of us who are stuck, for those of us who are afraid of the rage that comes when we regain what was taken from us, for those of us who know loss & loneliness & fear from the very one who is supposed to love us, this game is precious. It reminds us of our self worth. It reminds us of our capacity to individuate from our abusers, to let go, & to be whole.

I am no longer hiding in a closet, alone & afraid. I am healing, & I am strong.

Thank you, Minority.
  8. Aug 12, 2013
    A welcome change from shooting everything and a moving story you will remember. Well done! I'm not sure how you would do a sequel to this game but I hope there will be one in the future. I'd definately buy it. Nicely done.
  9. Jan 10, 2014
    Papo & Yo is nothing less than a breath of fresh air when compared to other recent games. Despite its graphics being not quite up-to-par, I was rather impressed with the other material aspects of the game. Movement mechanics were great and easy to adapt to for a third person game. Also, I am glad that they chose third person for a game like this, where you really get to know the character.Papo & Yo is nothing less than a breath of fresh air when compared to other recent games. Despite its graphics being not quite up-to-par, I was rather impressed with the other material aspects of the game. Movement mechanics were great and easy to adapt to for a third person game. Also, I am glad that they chose third person for a game like this, where you really get to know the character. Speaking of which, the story in this game is perfect. The player has to really get into the game and piece the puzzle together, an aspect that I think is missing in games today. Overall, Papo & Yo is definitely worth the play. Expand
  10. Oct 14, 2013
    [Papo&Yo Steam PC Score 9] Released in 2013.05 and played 2013.09 As a boy you must get the monster to do what you need so that you may heal the monster; and if the Monster should eat a green frog then RUN for safety and solve the puzzle without getting stomped. A dark and sad story, undoubtedly a therapeutic effort for the author and a revelation for the player. Enjoyable indie[Papo&Yo Steam PC Score 9] Released in 2013.05 and played 2013.09 As a boy you must get the monster to do what you need so that you may heal the monster; and if the Monster should eat a green frog then RUN for safety and solve the puzzle without getting stomped. A dark and sad story, undoubtedly a therapeutic effort for the author and a revelation for the player. Enjoyable indie adventure game despite the dark subject matter…. Play as a boy in a 3D world with pleasantly simple platforming, straight forward and interesting puzzles and I have to mention wonderfully soothing South America style music [Don’t miss this] I played for 6 hours…. just perfect, it cleansed my palate after a marathon playthrough of Dishonored [DRM] Steam only, thank goodness there is no GamesForWindowsLive on this title. [Save] This game saves automatically and works well [Keys] are WASD and cannot be remapped. Normally this would upset the hell out of me but it all worked out Oll Korrect [Graphics] To be honest I played this on a 6-7 year old laptop running XP because I was on the road. There were a few choppy bits at times but I survived and enjoyed the game. [Audio] Hey I love music and nice sound. This game has great music and great sound which are mellow between the green frogs [Compliments] I think these developers are going to surprise us big next time. They are on my watch list. [MyPC 2006] MSI GX700 2.4GHz XP 2G RAM (still running after all these years yee hah!)

[MyFavorites] [Win7] Dishonored Fez BioshockInfinite Anichamber Stacking Metro2033 Rochard TheDreamMachine Crysis&Warhead&2 JustCause2 Rage [XP] Papo&Yo DeuxExHR&TheMissingLink DeadSpace1&2 Fallout3&NewVegas HalfLife1&2 Bordelands1&2 BatmanArkumAsylum AssassinsCreed Magicka RedFaction Portal1&2 FromDust MrRobot Sam&MaxSeasons1&2 CulpaInnata TheSecretOfMonkeyIsland DreamfallTheLongestJourney Syberia1&2 CrayonPhysicsDeluxe DefenseGridTheAwakening PlantsVsZombies Prototype Bioshock1&2 UnrealTournament3 Quake4 [360] AfroSamurai BrutalLegends [XBOX] HALO KOTOR1&2 Crackdown ArmedAndDangerous AggressiveInline BeyondGoodAndEvil DeadOrAlive1&2&3&ExtremeBeachVolleyball Psychonauts [AppleG4] FullThrottle DeusExMachina ONI ReturnToZork Suspended UnrealTournament TombRaiderSeries [Born] 1964 [PS: I do not know anybody who works in the game industry I just enjoy games
  11. Mar 12, 2014
    This is a beautiful game in the line of titles like Journey or Flower. It is not supposed to be a funny platformer (although it sometimes tries it), since everything revolves around the relationship between the protagonist and his father. In order to enjoy this game and appreciate its beauty you need to go further than the platform and puzzle scenes, and try to feel what Quico isThis is a beautiful game in the line of titles like Journey or Flower. It is not supposed to be a funny platformer (although it sometimes tries it), since everything revolves around the relationship between the protagonist and his father. In order to enjoy this game and appreciate its beauty you need to go further than the platform and puzzle scenes, and try to feel what Quico is experiencing as he struggles between his love for his father and the violent man that he is in true. Expand
  12. Aug 18, 2013
    I haven't played the PS3 version but this PC port is really well done, and I haven't experienced any gamebreaking problems. (The Unreal Engine works quite well here and it looks great)

This game reminds me of ICO from a lot of aspects, but this is much better. I gave up ICO because I hated the annoying running around with the puzzles. I didn't mind the easy puzzles here, because they do not break the experience. The symbolism of the story is very easy to understand, but that is not a problem as it gives a lot to the atmosphere. The music is also fantastic.
  13. Jun 18, 2013
    Once again Metacritic shows us they know nothing about good indie games. This is one of the best games I've ever played, the puzzles are tricky at some point but far from impossible, the story is compelling and it's well thought out. Giving this title a 73/100 is a joke, they deserve much more.
  14. Mar 8, 2014
    I don't know if what really catch me was the plot, the lush visuals - street art referenced - that reminds me my own childhood here on Rio de Janeiro, the cool and well placed soundtrack, or the way they manage to bring to us the story in a so engaging manner. But the game have so many good things, that doesn't matter what catch me first.

The mechanics and puzzles are very simple, you

The mechanics and puzzles are very simple, you will not get stuck, frustrated by angry and wanting to quit the game or looking for some walkthrough. You will be challenged just a few times, and just for a few minutes each time, bounded to the feeling of keep on doing it to know a little more about that story.

It's a metaphoric world created by the suffer and desires of a boy, that leads you to join him on his quest to help a friend. A very hearty and well done work.
  15. Apr 21, 2013
    The new version of Papo Y Yo on PC is just wonderful Graphisms are improved, bugs are resolved (most of them), and the story is still interesting.
    I'll regret the difficulty of puzzles which are too easy, and the game duration, I completed it in less than 3 hours...I just want more of this game, with harder puzzles for a deeper experience.
  16. Apr 25, 2013
    Papo & Yo is a truly charming and surrealistic adventure. Coming from a dysfunctional alcoholic family myself, I can relate quite a bit to what our hero goes through, but with the HUGE difference being that my dad was never a monster but more an angel and a mentor alcoholic or not.
    But NEVER mind, it's a game and a wonderful one indeed. The more I play it, the more convinced I am that our young poor mistreated boy never touched alcohol, having seen what it did to his father, but instead ventured into the wonderful world of hallucinogenics You pull a rope and a building magically pulls out, morphs or generally transforms itself in a most pleasing and highly psychedelic manner.
    The art direction alone is worth the entry prize, but it's also a very pleasing game to play.
    Highly recommended.
  17. Apr 26, 2013
    Deeply moving and visually evocative work of art. This is not a game to tax your brain but it will move you like no other. It narrowly missed a 10/10 because I just didn't want it to end and could see the potential for more.. It actually made me *gasp* on several occasions. Just sublime. Bring on Papo & Yo II!

1. Aug 28, 2013
    When you look at it it's a captivating tour along the foreign culture and child's phantasy that is in fact a sanctuary against real demons lurking behind three-dimensional puzzles. Playful and at the same time mature game experience, whose concept works only halfway through. But when it works, it pushes your emotions forward.
  2. Aug 12, 2013
    Papo & Yo leaves me conflicted. On the one hand, I couldn’t be happier that Vander Caballero turned to video games as his means for self-expression. Unfortunately, the uninspired, frustrating gameplay adds nothing to the heartbreaking story contained therein.
  3. Jul 24, 2013