Path of Exile PC

8.1

1. May 10, 2017
    possibly one of the best rpg's ever , why because its free , if it was 40 euros i would have gave an 8
    The game has nice enemies and a huge skilltree , graphics are ok and story aswell,sometimes i have a few technical issues but those are ignorable
    You can easy spend 50 hours in this game buuuuut it gets a little bit repetive after a while
    Great overall , actually an 8 but its free so a 9
  2. May 4, 2017
    The game is pretty much awesome but when you leveling your fourth char through every difficulty it becomes annoying to complete all those quests for the twelfth time.
  3. Apr 20, 2017
    Not your typical F2P game. This is a company (Grinding Gear Games) who are devoted to their players. The game literally can be played, for free, without you being hindered in any way shape or form. Every skill, item, level, difficulty, everything is open. The cash shop is all cosmetic stuff (and its awesome).

The depth of the game is fantastic, and no two builds are ever the same! I

The depth of the game is fantastic, and no two builds are ever the same! I highly recommend checking out the forums. Experienced players have wrote some fantastic guides for the passive tree and how to build a succesful character.

Ignore the comments such as "everyone uses the same op build" or "same op skills" because it couldn't be further from the truth. Go look for yourself, check out the leaderboards and there is a massive array of skills and builds that people have succesfully used.

The only negative point i have to say is, ingame trade could have been done better, HOWEVER, a website that is now widely used http://poe.xyz.is/ solves the trading spam and is fantastic for finding the items you need. So i guess that could take away half a negative point? :P
  4. Apr 7, 2017
    0 because 8.1 is FAR too high. (maybe 4-6)

Path of Lottery is more like it. In many ways, the randomization works in the game's favor (random areas, monsters, encounters with special "events" or monster mechanics.), In many more ways, it works against the game (lottery endgame access, lottery stats on gear, lottery crafting, lottery stats on endgame areas +). The random nature of
    0 because 8.1 is FAR too high. (maybe 4-6)

Path of Lottery is more like it.

In many ways, the randomization works in the game's favor (random areas, monsters, encounters with special "events" or monster mechanics.), In many more ways, it works against the game (lottery endgame access, lottery stats on gear, lottery crafting, lottery stats on endgame areas +). The random nature of ARPGs of this sort is amplified into absurdity in Path of Exile, making it so only those who play in a "no-life" style can really benefit during the short "leagues".

Over time, those playing "casually" (casual - based on time spent, not dedication or investment of learning and planning) in the "standard" permanent leagues can eventually obtain nearly the same results, but they miss out on the new league features that are not always rolled into the standard game, or if they are, get watered down to obscurity, rarely impacting the daily gameplay, and they miss out on the league's unique items that only drop for their duration.

The Devs say they like this because it encourages trade (the almighty economy) In an ideal world, you find stuff you don't need, and sell it to those who do. The randomness of drops provides everyone with something someone else wants, and rarely what they want for themselves. All sunshine and rainbows in that world, but Path of Exile has no in-game item search feature such as an Auction House. Additionally, players can only trade if they meet in person at the same time, in-game (with people playing in several leagues, or participating in activities that they cannot quickly leave and return to, just to conduct a trade, many ignore trade requests, even if they are online.) (One of the key selling points of new Leagues, is the re-starting of their fresh economy... this game does not have a stable working economy in standard leagues - their little social experiment has failed hard)

Oh, and there's no standardized currency that all monsters drop. Instead, it's a barter economy that has taken to trading "crafting orbs" for items (Mainly Chaos Orbs and Exalted Orbs - think $1 & $100 bills). These Orbs can also be used to alter gear, or be exchanged for gear in NPC shops. These Orbs are like coins you use to pull the slot machine arm to randomly gain stats on gear or the itemized endgame "maps".

So, when we talk altering gear, we're talking about 6 potential modifier slots divided into 3 prefixes and 3 suffixes. There are tiers to the modifiers (some have as many as 9 tiers, some only 1 tier) The max tier of a modifier is based on the item level of the gear. As you get higher item level gear, the larger the modifiers can be on that gear. However, no matter how high an item level the gear is, you can always roll the lowest possible tier of any modifier, so the amount of trash you find/roll is phenomenal. (the lowest tiers should stop rolling at a certain point, but the devs don't agree; in fact, they have intentionally created bad modifiers just to dilute the pool of good modifiers, so more trash is created/found).

Gear has "Gem Sockets" for abilities so you can use them in combat. These Sockets have 3 colors; only ability gems of matching colors can fit. The Sockets can then be "linked" by "fusing orbs", to use Support Gems to make those abilities more powerful or alter how they act.

You may find an item with 6 very nice modifiers, but wrong socket colors, or not enough links. Due to the cost involved in "fixing" those absolutely necessary parts of the gear to use abilities, many people choose to go many levels without upgrades, despite having found the upgraded gear, only spending orbs on ilvl 68+ gear.

The closest this game comes to crafting, is master crafting benches. You can use orbs of different varieties to overpay for 1 underpowered modifier to put on a piece of gear. These are all lower tier modifiers that don't come close to what you can find on random drops.

The primary endgame is "mapping." Endgame zones are accessed by keys called "maps". Maps can be rolled like any other gear, with modifiers making the monsters or circumstances more difficult. Maps drop like other loot, with higher level maps dropping less often, leaving strong characters unable to challenge appropriate content most of the time.

The Labyrinth mini-game was recently added, with traps that ignore 90% of the character building choices you've made. Despite disconnections being a reality in online games, if you disconnect, you have to start the entire mini-game over. If this were just side content for fun, fine, but they put build-defining "Ascendancy Classes" as the reward for finishing it. Game breaker here.

* Bullet-hell style boss encounters are becoming more common, with one-hit kills.
    * Graphics and sound are good but not optimized well. Great computers can have horrible fps.
    * Balance is usually whack-a-mole, nerfing based on popularity, sledge hammer for a fly style.

Masochist? Have fun
  5. Feb 25, 2017
    love/hate. Very good game that can be quite frustrating if one encounters connection problems that cripple the buzz. High quality and enjoyable game with painful pitfalls . i die only to lag or outright stupidity on my part, but way more due to lag. i have countless hours of fun with this game. painful lately to to nagging connection problems.
  6. Jan 25, 2017
    i love the game but i need a better computer to run most of the game and most of my bilds it does suck only haveing 384 mb of graphics i need to get a new compter otherwise its a good game and yes ive been playing this game at 1-15 fps some times crashing or the game freezes up and becomes unplayable keep up the work ggg keep doing what is necessary to improve the gaming experience for all users
  7. Jan 21, 2017
    The game has a fairly decent Action-Rpg feel. Other than that there is major cheating widespread on most servers, Currency online trades heavily inflates prices so you basically can't play without buying Currency from a 3rd party online website. The graphics are very basic and unoriginal and the game gets redundant quickly.
  8. Nov 18, 2016
    The skill tree of this game is amazing all the possibilities and builds you can do are amazing. The game takes a lot of memory and updates are frequent but its free to play.
  9. Sep 6, 2016
    This game is basically what Diablo 3 should have been. I really shouldn't need to say anything else. If you enjoyed the diablo series by blizzard, you will like PoE. If you didn't, you won't.
  10. Sep 5, 2016
    I would like to mention all the "negative" stuff people complain about and oppose them.
    1. Trading. Yeah, you don't have a comfortable auction here that spoils economy and almost killed Diablo 3. There are 3rd party trade websites and macros that makes it easier to sell or buy things. I prefer building my character myself rather than just buying all the needed gear instantly as soon as i can afford it. Back in 90-s and 00-s there were no auction at all and still those hs were awesome. BTW barter system looks more efficient than plain gold, not mentioning that currency in POE is also a crafting material.
    2. Leveling. Yeah it's pretty boring playing same locations 3 times to reach endgame....but most rpgs games works the same way. The replay-ability is supported by new leagues with unique mechanics every 3-4 month and new addon every 6 month. Worth mentioning that leveling is pretty fast.
    3. Desync: Desync isn't an issue anymore. One can find servers all over the world with 50ms ping or even less. GGG also added 2 options to predictavoid desync.
    4.Graphics: have you ever seen popular mmorpg with top graphics and millions of people playing it? Maybe just few huge titles. POE is oriented on people having different specs and where it lacks graphics it compensate with art and style. Just watch addon trailers on their website-dark fantasy everywhere. I prefer weaker graphics to a better style. Anyway the graphics isn't that bad. Look at Diablo. Just press escape and look at the character model-it looks like Pinocchio made by blind carpenter. Graphics is something tertiary when we talk about good game. Animation isn't state of art but it far from causing eyesbleed.
    5. Performance: It was a weak spot for quiet a while but not an issue anymore. A bunch of optimizations were made and now the game can run on any calculator.

Story: the manner the story is told reminds me Dark souls. You need to seek for details, read item descriptions, listen to dialogues. Dark fantasy fans are happy about it.
    Music is awesome, sounds are decent.

Roleplaying:
    This is a bread and butter of the game. You aren't limited to your class. want to be tanky magician with a shield-here you go. Whant to be brutal barbarian that summons pets-not a problem. Wanna be ranger(that usually starts with bow) that fists everything backhandedly-you are welcome. See the build list of any class on Poe forum. You will find few dozens of different guides, some of which looks impossible but works perfectly.

You can make a build around one item or synergy of items. You can make a build based on a unique flask, unique gloves prefix or a node in your skilltree.

Skill system is smth unique.Some of the negative reviewers said that you use one button to kill everything. Yeah, there are build with press to kill everything on the scree, but most of the builds(and this depends on you) requires single target skill, aoe skill, damage boosting skill or defense boosting skill, save-your- donkey skill, charges generating skills, warcries, utility skill etc.

POE is a hardcore game in many aspects. You can't respec freely at any moment of time. You need to use special currency to refund one skill point. In this case full respec will cost a pretty penny and that makes you think, plan and change things carefully. Free full respecs are given when new big patch arrives.
  11. Aug 28, 2016
    Offering a well thought out and deep Action RPG at the price point of free, where merely cosmetic changes and increased stash space (from an already generous size) comes at a small cost, this game is hard to miss for an ARPG fan.

It is reminding me more of Diablo 2 than Diablo 3 does, with its gloomy atmosphere that embraces theorycrafting thanks to its depth and skill combinations. Unfortunately, even the game's downside with no purpose-built trading system other than chat does.

Performance with server desync glitches and subpar framerate have been reported but I have so far not experienced any desyncs and there is a major patch to substantially improve framerates in testing. Having said that, playing in 1080p with a Geforce GTX 970 level graphics card is not a problem at all like usual, so this should not be a huge issue for anything close to modern systems.
  12. Aug 16, 2016
    This RPG kept me thinking for months, too many ways to make your desired character. Exchangeable active skills are limited by Dexterity, Intelligence or Strength, that drives us to the amazing passives skill constellation, But probably the best is that there is no money, all is useful to trade or craft, that leaves us to the crafting system, one of the few games in which crafting is notThis RPG kept me thinking for months, too many ways to make your desired character. Exchangeable active skills are limited by Dexterity, Intelligence or Strength, that drives us to the amazing passives skill constellation, But probably the best is that there is no money, all is useful to trade or craft, that leaves us to the crafting system, one of the few games in which crafting is not only useful, but mandatory, making currency worth even on end-game. The only flaw it has (and that is the reason I’ve leave even when I like it a lot), is that it hasn’t offline mode, I really like to play alone sometimes, or mod my game, and it is impossible in this kind of online games. Expand
  13. Aug 4, 2016
    The only big problem I ever had with the game, desync, has been fixed and now I can't think of any complaints that don't come down to personal preferance.

I highly recommend playing this game in hardcore mode for maximum enjoyment.
  14. Jul 25, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. No doubt Diablo was a revolutionary game, create an entire style of games Diablo II is even more famous, but after it everyone was waiting for the new addictive dungeon crawler that would be able to keep its legacy. I have to say that not only Path of Exile is good enough for that, but was the best game I played in this style. The incredible amount of builds we can do, the skill allocation method, importance of equipment synergy gave this game great depth.

I have some issues with its story, but the story was never the hallmark of those games. This was one of the games I played the most in my life, I just kept creating characters and playing it again. Not to mention the game is free to play and its cash shop doesn't give any special advantage to any player. I hope they find the energy to make a sequel, maybe selling it this time, so they could put even more energy into it.
  15. Jul 5, 2016
    Path of Exile is definitely NOT a Diablo copy. The game we've got here was released 3 years ago and still keeps growing fast. A lot of expansions are being released along with lots of new stuff that keep entertaining all of us.
  16. Jun 23, 2016
    Es un gran juego entretiene bastante y lo mejor es gratis
    Cuenta con una gran comunidad y un constante actualizacion de parches, algo que me encanta es su gran parecido a diablo 3.
    Algo genial tambien son la temporadas que agregan con objetivos en especifico lo cual si lo logras tienes recives premios.
  17. Jun 22, 2016
    Imagine yourself exiled to a grimdark fantasy Australia where nothing stays dead and you start with a rusty sword or a driftwood club or the like. Welcome to Wraeclast, land of darkness, crappy loot and addictive, ARPG gameplay. To some, Path of Exile is merely regarded as the anti-Diablo 3. While it is true that it takes a very different route in the evolutionary path of the ARPG, to callImagine yourself exiled to a grimdark fantasy Australia where nothing stays dead and you start with a rusty sword or a driftwood club or the like. Welcome to Wraeclast, land of darkness, crappy loot and addictive, ARPG gameplay. To some, Path of Exile is merely regarded as the anti-Diablo 3. While it is true that it takes a very different route in the evolutionary path of the ARPG, to call it a better game, or a worse one, or even the "real Diablo 3" all fail to accurately describe it, though that being said the similarities to Diablo 2 are noticable, down to minute details like the scrolling NPC dialogue boxes and the translucent map overlay. In terms of combat difficulty Path of Exile is actually roughly analogous to Diablo 3. Where it greatly defers in its character progression. Where in Diablo 3 you unlock skills and passives in a linear fashion and can swap them around freely, Path of Exile has a unique, wide-open and very daunting system based around active skill gems and web of passive skills. I was actually scared away from the game at first simply because I didn't think I had the smarts for it. Path of Exile defies several common mechanics of Diablolikes. There is no limited item durability, but most uniquely there is no money: items are instead traded for crafting ingredients, with scraps of identify scrolls representing the lowest denomination of value. Each of the game's seven character classes have no actual abilities- these are instead tied to the skill gems, which in the style of Final Fantasy's materia crystals are slotted into color-matched slots on your gear, all of which has at least one of these slots. None of these gems are dependent on class but they are dependent on one of only three core stats: strength, dexterity or intelligence, each color coded and tied to an elemental damage type, fire, ice or lightning. Equipment drops you find will usually be of the lowest quality (anther contrast with Diablo 3, which in its current state makes a point of giving you good, class-flavored equipment drops), but any piece of equipment can be modified to a usable state using crafting items- that being said, you will eventually be required to do this as the ratio of good quality, level-appropriate drops starts out ♥♥♥♥♥♥ and only gets worse as you progress, and it will frustrate you. Potions are not stacked the disposable ton but are equipment unto themselves, slotted into your belt with random stats of their own, and charged by defeating enemies- making Path of Exile the only ARPG I know of to have legendary-quality potion bottles! By far the most interesting feature is the skill tree, which is really more of a skill spider web, with all passive abilities earned in the game tied to nodes on the web. Each of the seven classes begins at a certain point on this web near nodes flavored to them, but each can eventually be built in virtually any way you want, to use any weapons, gear and skill gems in the game. Your character does not gain attribute points automatically on a level up, merely a single skill point, which can be spent on a +10 boost to an attribute or something flashier, like attack speed, life drain. The web is laid out as sort of a highway with exits leading to cul-de-sacs, which often contain powerful capstone passives that add things like 20% faster mana regen, but require an investment of skill points to unlock the nodes leading to them. You will need to strike a balance between raising your stats and obtaining critical passive skills. This is where the hidden challenge of the game comes in, though: while virtually any build works just fine for Normal difficulty, on higher ones the game outright punishes you for any poor build choices, though thankfully respecs are plentiful enough that you have at least some room to experiment. I have played through each of the classes at least once, on Normal difficulty, as the game follows the Diablo 2 style progression where beating the game on one difficulty allows you to progress to then next in a linear fashion. I found myself enjoying each in their own way, but found myself most comfortable using a Duelist (the strength/dexterity hybrid class) built for fast, hard attacks with two-handed swords. For a free game, the depth of customization, quality of music, sound and voice work, the developer's commitment to non-pay-to-win cash shop items and the overall quality of the game in general is remarkable. The game has received a number of large content updates since launch, all free, including end-game random dungeon generation, a number of NPC crafters with reputation missions, and most notably an entire fourth story act bringing the game to a spectacular, blood-soaked conclusion. If you love ARPGs but perhaps crave more stat-crunching, min-maxing, and build challenge then Diablo 3 can provide, Path of Exile may be just what you're looking for. For me, it offered exactly what I loved most about Diablo 3- non-stop, click-mashing action in a dark fantasy universe with plenty of zombies, skeletons, monsters, misshapen horrors and some truly despicable villains I could really, really hate. Take a journey into nightmare, and walk the Path of Exile with me. You won't regret it. Expand
  18. Jun 13, 2016
    As a dungeon-crawler veteran and enthusiast, PoE is the game that this category deserved, and was waiting since Diablo 2.
    It has its flaws to certain eyes, ok. But this is how a 10/10 free2play game should look like.
    It's a slap in the face of Blizzard and this greedy market full of bad habits. GGG team made a top notch game, rewarding, with infinity replayability and fun as f***. For
    For free. Free. In the most true sense of word: free.

I'm sorry for the comparison, but If only Diablo 3 was as half as good...
  19. May 6, 2016
    I started playing Path of Exile because Diablo 3 was such utter crap, but to my surprise I actually found it worthy to call it the closest to Diablo 2, may even be a successor in the future, honestly it was fun to play and it does have a similar feel to d2, the only problem I have with the game is the massive drop in fps due to the algorithms the developers implemented where theyI started playing Path of Exile because Diablo 3 was such utter crap, but to my surprise I actually found it worthy to call it the closest to Diablo 2, may even be a successor in the future, honestly it was fun to play and it does have a similar feel to d2, the only problem I have with the game is the massive drop in fps due to the algorithms the developers implemented where they instantiate more than 1 object all at once in the same spot, I mean they could do better, way better but still they have time and the game is good overall, nothing bad to add. Expand
  20. Apr 13, 2016
    I find PoE to be a very fun experience over all.

I find PoE to be a very fun experience over all.

1. Trading. Recent events in the game have made trading easy. If you have premium stash tabs, the ones that allow you to change their names and colors, then you can now change a tab to what is now known as a "public" tab. This kind of tab will be indexed by the typical PoE store websites. You even get standard options on the tab like listing a whole tab on a single price or listing each item price individually.

2. Leveling. I find leveling in PoE to be very enjoyable especially when comparing it to something like Diablo 3 where it is stupidly tedious and feels more like you are dragging your feet through mud doing nothing important. In PoE its not like that at all. You get the feeling the whole time you are accomplishing things by leveling gems, leveling your character, allocating points, and such.

3. Network Connectivity. In the past, back in its beta stages, There were a lot of disconnects and desyncing from even just fighting mobs. It is not the case anymore! Many changes have taken place with their updated netcode and more server locations.

Now here is a negative.

5. Labyrinth/Ascension. So with the new content expansion of Ascendancy came new class expansion options. Which is great! The problem is how to get them. You must complete the labyrinth. Why is that an issue? It is really overtuned and sometimes just stupid.

Now I am not going to sugar coat anything. I play hardcore only, and as such a single death means thats it. Its all over. I have died in the labyrinth a total of 5 times leveling up and being over leveled. It wasn't the boss either that killed me he is ok now that they scaled him back a bit for those leveling up. It was traps in the labyrinth. The damage set too high and being all together in weird configurations that are unpassable even with movement skills.

I got so frustrated with this single aspect of not being able to ascend my character I quit playing for a while. It is that bad. I feel like Ascendancy points being tied into weird unpredictable content like the labyrinth is wrong.
  21. Apr 4, 2016
    Path of Exile is the best diablo-style action rpg I've played since, well, diablo2. It has the dark theme and atmosphere, an interesting skill tree, and the devs took a risk trying something new by tying abilities to socket-able items and avoiding currency in favor of item exchange. It takes a while to get used to but it really works, and creates a different experience with each play through.
  22. Mar 31, 2016
    pros:
    -lots of depth
    -interesting currency system cons: absurdly small player inventory....cant even collect all the items that drop from one boss... and no way apparently to make it larger. This is why this game was a 6 for me... woulda been much better if you had a larger inventory. i played for 3 hours one day and counted how many times i had to go to town to sell... 15
    pros:
    -lots of depth
    -interesting currency system

cons: absurdly small player inventory....cant even collect all the items that drop from one boss... and no way apparently to make it larger. This is why this game was a 6 for me... woulda been much better if you had a larger inventory. i played for 3 hours one day and counted how many times i had to go to town to sell... 15 times....15!!!! ridiculous

The labyrinth (which you must clear to even get access to the xpac classes ) is designed poorly with too much emphasis on dodging clusters of traps that one shot you. Oh and you cant die in the labyrinth or you have to start all over. Terrible design and makes the ascendancy classes unaccessible.

also no auction house.. closest they have ais a third party website where people connect to trade stuff (lol what year did this come out?? pretty sure auction houses were already a MMO staple by the time this was made)

depends entirely on horribly calibrated RNG..everything is random , every time you try and modify an item you gotta sit there and gamble ...should be able to just set whatever stats you want... super tired of game devs using the RNG crutch . This game is so bloody RNG that you would be lucky to get anything that you want ...EVER!! this is the other reason i gave this a 6. too much rng...
  23. Mar 10, 2016
    Frankly I'm bored of these free to play games. Path of Boredom. Might as well play the classic Diablo 2 if I want to live in the past. Not to mention takes all the fun out when you have to buy the "cool" stuff. Can't believe it got game of the year over at Gamespot. Too many immature annoying people nowadays in multiplayer. Go and buy Pillars of Eternity instead and support a fun singleFrankly I'm bored of these free to play games. Path of Boredom. Might as well play the classic Diablo 2 if I want to live in the past. Not to mention takes all the fun out when you have to buy the "cool" stuff. Can't believe it got game of the year over at Gamespot. Too many immature annoying people nowadays in multiplayer. Go and buy Pillars of Eternity instead and support a fun single player experience. Expand
  24. Mar 7, 2016
    This game is pure art, it's mechanics, it's atmosphere,music just gold. I started playing this game because I saw that my cousin played for about 700 hours, so I thought that it is probably worth playing this game if he played it for so long .Oh boy,was I right. For three days brilliant Path of Exile was the only game I played.
    This game is really worth playing , and don't believe people
    This game is really worth playing , and don't believe people that say it is full of micro transactions because it is not it is purely optional.
    I love this game and you should definitely play it .
  25. Mar 7, 2016
    As someone who has played the game for thousands of hours I can say that the Ascendancy expansion ruined an amazing game by gating content behind an unfun and **** labyrinth that you cannot even complete if you disconnect (and it happens often) because you only get one chance with it. Congratulations on ruining your game GGG and turning it into super mario wannabe...
  26. Mar 1, 2016
    best free to play game, better of all diablo 3 clones, and diablo 3 worster then this game.

realy free, blood and gore, and nice music and story, im not disapointed
  27. Feb 11, 2016
    Really fun game for me the trading system is 100% based of loot and items to improve items there is no gold or money so it all comes down to i will give you this or this for that.
    Now... the customer support is epic i completely misread something brought it and then sent a complaint after being corrected i was refunded and was able to spend my money again on something i actually wanted.
    there is events pvp keeping things new if you get bored of grinding the party system works really well if you have people who know what they are doing or are at the same quests as you i almost only play on Hardcore due to the unforgiving character gets removed from the mode if you die but it gets switched to standard witch only gives you exp penalty so first time players if you want to play on standard just play on hardcore till you die i recommend but if you want to stay in hardcore you have the rush of staying alive and the skill-tree feels like it just go's on so many options and you can subclass into almost anything but you cant just respect without penalty you need to buy each respect point making you think awhile when leveling up.
  28. Dec 30, 2015
    [ENGLISH]
    A very good Hack'n'slash, with huge possibilities.
    Nevertheless, a few features make the game a little difficult : - the recipes have to be discovered on the wiki - the trade has to use an external site to be efficient Globally, this game is better if you spend a lot of time to search in the wiki. A very good point is that it can be played virtually infinitely, due to the
    [ENGLISH]
    A very good Hack'n'slash, with huge possibilities.
    Nevertheless, a few features make the game a little difficult :
    - the recipes have to be discovered on the wiki
    - the trade has to use an external site to be efficient
    Globally, this game is better if you spend a lot of time to search in the wiki.
    A very good point is that it can be played virtually infinitely, due to the huge passives tree and the amount of stuff. And it is free. The microtransactions are solely cosmetic.
    Personally, I played thousands of hours on the game and, despite I didn't search a lot to understand all the subtleties of the game.

[FRENCH]
    Un très bon Hack'n'slash, avec d'énormes possibilités.
    Néanmoins, quelques éléments rendent le jeu plus difficile :
    - les "recettes" de craft ne sont pas indiquées dans le jeu mais doivent être découvertes (elles sont indiquées dans le site wiki du jeu)
    - le commerce nécessite un site externe pour être efficace (connaitre les prix, les offres; le chat interne est trop bavard)
    Globalement, vous profiterez plus de ce jeu si vous y investissez un peu de temps à comprendre tous les mécanismes.
    De plus, il est pratiquement rejouable à l'infini grâce à son arbre de compétences gigantesque (n'ayez pas peur, c'est génial !).
    Personnellement, j'y ai joué des centaines d'heures (vraiment !) malgré le fait que je n'ai pas encore tout compris :-)
    Et il est gratuit : les microtransactions n'apportent que des effets cosmétiques !
  29. Dec 29, 2015
    This game is a hack and slash adventure similar to Diablo. But it's what Diablo could and should have been! It's got better skills, more adaptable gear, and much better economy and currency

And, it's free. The skill tree is amazing, the currency doubling as usable items to customize gear is brilliant, the artwork and voice acting is fantastic, and the micro transactions are

And, it's free.

The skill tree is amazing, the currency doubling as usable items to customize gear is brilliant, the artwork and voice acting is fantastic, and the micro transactions are reasonable and optional.

The level of strategic depth is great.

And the end game is much better. Other games have adapted and copied PoE as a result.

Seriously, check this game out. Can't beat the price. And it's excellent.
  30. Dec 18, 2015
    It is free and it is more fun than Diablo III. What more is there actually to say?
    Classes seem to fell quite similar, sure... So I don't have to play them all as I usually do. Might be counted as an upside ;)
  31. Dec 14, 2015
    Path of Exile is in many ways what Diablo 3 should have been. And it has a great free to play model, too.

+ Very complex skill system with endless build possibilities. + Almost everything about the gameplay makes perfect sense. You can see how much work the developers put into the details and they did a great job. + Fluid combat and good controls. + Brings back the Diablo 2

+ Very complex skill system with endless build possibilities.
    + Fluid combat and good controls.
    + Brings back the Diablo 2 atmosphere and gameplay.
    + Ladder system and fun challenges.
    + Good content updates.
    + Free to play, but not pay to win. Very fair and good shop system.

- The end game maps do get boring after a while and managing them is tedious.
    - There's no other end game content except maps.
    - The areas look good, but there could be more variety (snow, desert).
    - The story is lame.
    - Bad mini map (exactly like the one in D2).
    - No trading system.

- The major problem with the game is that with every big patch the skill tree is changed and reset. I don't wanna spend so much time thinking of a new build and re-allocating all the skills after every patch, on all my characters. They don't even help the player by indicating which skills he had chosen before, it's just "f*ck you, your build is gone".

In a game like Diablo 2, resetting the skill tree would be acceptable, but if you have a game like PoE with billions (?) of skill combinations, you have to find a better way to not f*ck over the players time and time again.
  32. Nov 23, 2015
    This game was such a gem to find. Medieval RPGs are my absolute favorite, and while this one offers multiplayer online MMO options, it's really great for solo play. Beautiful scenery, good story, and amazingly giant skill tree.
  33. Nov 16, 2015
    If you're a fan of ARPGs like me then you'll really enjoy this game. The game mechanics, leveling system, passive tree, and gem system is a huge breath of fresh air. The only thing I'm still getting used to is the currency system, but that comes with time, and a couple of YouTube videos, I guess. I'm glad the story has a gap (film term) because I really feel like I've been exiled and IIf you're a fan of ARPGs like me then you'll really enjoy this game. The game mechanics, leveling system, passive tree, and gem system is a huge breath of fresh air. The only thing I'm still getting used to is the currency system, but that comes with time, and a couple of YouTube videos, I guess. I'm glad the story has a gap (film term) because I really feel like I've been exiled and I have no idea what's going on. The story is not predictable for me. Graphics and music are awesome - diggin' the grittiness. Also, I think this is the only free to play I've actually enjoyed. I feel bad this is free because it's really good. Expand
  34. Nov 11, 2015
    In terms of design, the game is not a 10. However, the game deserves a 10. This is the best arpg experience you will get that is truly free. It even surpasses any other paid arpg I have played before. Playing through all the difficulties, even if it's just once is a totally fun experience. Play this gem.
  35. Aug 10, 2015
    A racing game with magic and melee toons. Great attention to detail and constant meaningful updates makes this one fun to play. With the Awakening (2015 / act 4) u still need a very active group to get to lv100, but it has gotten ALOT easier to get to lv 90 now for singleplayer. Alot of unfair and mean insta pops have been removed from maps, instead the last act is pretty tough now.A racing game with magic and melee toons. Great attention to detail and constant meaningful updates makes this one fun to play. With the Awakening (2015 / act 4) u still need a very active group to get to lv100, but it has gotten ALOT easier to get to lv 90 now for singleplayer. Alot of unfair and mean insta pops have been removed from maps, instead the last act is pretty tough now. Luckily most skills have been boosted so there are no more really bad choices it seems. There are lots of guides if u need help, or watch people play on twitch if u want. Are u 0 points dudes the ones that were caught cheating in races with maphacks ? Well done ggg.... What it does, it does very well. 10 points well deserved. Expand
  36. Jul 30, 2015
    This game still favours melee chars. Spell crit is op, especially when the spells are invisible... Sorry but after connection problems, getting great drops for a char 20 lvls below me, I'm tired of this **** Pulled about 20 maps, rek most and the game is pretty much now about whether you get instagibbed rather than be able to kill stuff, not fun at all.
  37. Jul 18, 2015
    A-RPG oyun türünün en iyi örneklerinden birisi... Rakiplerinden (Torchlight-Titan Quest - ... ) önde olduğu taraf, ücretsiz online olması ve Diablo`nun tarzına çok yakın olması.
    Bazıları oyunda bağlantı sorunları var diye eleştiriyorlar ama PvP veya PvE esnasında oynanabilirliği etkileyecek bir sorun yok. Bu şekilde eleştiren gitsin Blizzard`ı da eleştirsin o zaman... Tamamen ücretsiz bir oyun ve hiç bir şekilde "pay to win" olmayacak. Bu yüzden bile küçük sorunlarına katlanılabilir.
  38. Jun 12, 2015
    i think this game is good but i found one big problem. early game is too boring i don't know why but i didn't like it and i don't like that wtf skill tree. but it's no't pay to win game and after start game is fun.
  39. Jun 8, 2015
    In my humble opinion, this is the TRUE successor to Diablo II. While POE falls off a bit in the late late game there is a major expansion coming out this summer to address that.... and thus far I have never seen Grinding Gear Games release even a small patch that didn't improve the game. These developers are unbelievable. If only other games shared the same attitude and strategies asIn my humble opinion, this is the TRUE successor to Diablo II. While POE falls off a bit in the late late game there is a major expansion coming out this summer to address that.... and thus far I have never seen Grinding Gear Games release even a small patch that didn't improve the game. These developers are unbelievable. If only other games shared the same attitude and strategies as Grinding Gear the market would be a much happier place right now. Expand
  40. Jun 4, 2015
    The best RPG of past 5 years. It is hardcore game not for noobs and little kids so community is good. Gameplay make player frustrated because drops are poor, but this game is about go further and further and looking for better items and noobs don't like it because they dont want wait for equip 1 week they want it immediately so every bad reviews are from noobs. I know my eng is bad but ifThe best RPG of past 5 years. It is hardcore game not for noobs and little kids so community is good. Gameplay make player frustrated because drops are poor, but this game is about go further and further and looking for better items and noobs don't like it because they dont want wait for equip 1 week they want it immediately so every bad reviews are from noobs. I know my eng is bad but if i write in slovak no one would understand it. PS:"I love u grammar nazis!" Expand
  41. May 22, 2015
    This is one of the best "Diablo like" games. Even better than Diablo III. Is just an incredible experience, and a really deep game. and for sure... its FREE TO PLAY. Nice work GGG!
  42. Mar 13, 2015
    Best free-to-play game I've ever played. The unique skill and currency system that the game offers takes some serious getting-used-to, but it provides the game with an interesting flavor that makes it truly unique. When all is said and done, it's what I'm going to remember most about this game. I found that using the currency (these gems and whatnot) to try and improve my armor and weaponsBest free-to-play game I've ever played. The unique skill and currency system that the game offers takes some serious getting-used-to, but it provides the game with an interesting flavor that makes it truly unique. When all is said and done, it's what I'm going to remember most about this game. I found that using the currency (these gems and whatnot) to try and improve my armor and weapons was fantastic (when I got what I wanted!) and frustrating (when I didn't). I also enjoyed making choices about what weapons I wanted to use based on what skills I wanted to use- sometimes it almost became a puzzle to coordinate my skills, my sockets, and my weapon types so that I could use Cleave even though my weapon was socketed with all green sockets. That was enjoyable.

I played this game with friends all the way through, and I don't see myself getting into the endgame or becoming active in the community or PVP or anything like that- I really enjoyed the PvE aspect and the fact that on a whim I said to my friends "Hey, let's try Path of Exile". It's free, so we all already owned it, and each one of us enjoyed it immensely. Is it perfect? It was a perfect experience for us.
  43. Mar 1, 2015
    Fantastic ARPG, the only issue is some parts of the game is very grindy/time consuming in terms of repetition. ie: farming alts/jewels/fusing for 6L chest piece. Trading is very very very painful and I tend to stay self found/trade with friends, it sorely needs an Auction House. But for a free game, you can't be too pissed off with that! A major Act4 expansion will be arriving soon andFantastic ARPG, the only issue is some parts of the game is very grindy/time consuming in terms of repetition. ie: farming alts/jewels/fusing for 6L chest piece. Trading is very very very painful and I tend to stay self found/trade with friends, it sorely needs an Auction House. But for a free game, you can't be too pissed off with that! A major Act4 expansion will be arriving soon and I await this with glee! Expand
  44. Feb 13, 2015
    É um bom jogo, realmente da pra se diverte com muito prazer proporcionando muitas horas de pura diversão ao jogador, não mais que umas 20 hs, mas o jogo da o que falar, experimente e comprove, a unica coisa que infelizmente não tem no jogo, é o idioma Brasileiro, não precisaria dublagem, mas só a legenda. afinal nem todos falam inglês.
  45. Feb 9, 2015
    It's 2015, and I still play this game. True, I am not playing with the same intensity as I did back in 2013, but from time to time I allocate some time to finish a high level map with old characters.

Why ? It's fun, and playing the game on Hardcore (permanent death) gives you a feeling of pressure and attachment to your character. Others have said this is the spiritual successor of

Others have said this is the spiritual successor of Diablo 2. I do not agree. There are too many innovations and mechanics that are original and specific to PoE, that's hardly a D2 clone. The only things that can remind of you D2 are the graphics which are gloomy and less cartoonish than for example Torchlight and D3.

What I love about the game:

- The skill tree : in theory it's immense. Unfortunately you won't be able to pick everything you like, so in order for your build to be viable in the end game you will need to make "sacrifices" and "decisions", for example sometimes you need to sacrifice a little bit of your damage in order to increase your life.

- Items: There's a nice synergy between the items and the skills. Basically you can have builds that only work if you posses a specific Unique item(s). Also there are builds that can be augmented by possessing items with certain stats. So when you create your build you need to think in anticipation.

- Crafting: The game currency in the game are Orbs (there's no money in the game). Orbs can be used to augment your items: add new properties, increase the number of sockets in your items, etc.

- End game: This is one of the few RPGs that have a nice end-game: Maps. I won't explain in detail how Maps works, but trust me, they add a lof of content after you will finish all the chapters in the game.

There are a lot of things that make PoE shine, but I let you discover them.
  46. Jan 30, 2015
    Pros:
    + Many ways to build a character
    + Tons of available skills and items to build around + Some very complex and deep game mechanics not seen in other popular RPG titles + The gameplay is fun and gambling with RNG can be very addictive + Regular updates with new content, races and cool prizes + Free to play Cons: - Graphics and effects can feel a bit dated compared to some
    Pros:
    + Many ways to build a character
    + Tons of available skills and items to build around
    + The gameplay is fun and gambling with RNG can be very addictive
    + Regular updates with new content, races and cool prizes
    + Free to play

Cons:
    - Graphics and effects can feel a bit dated compared to some other RPGs
    - Don't expect a breathtaking storyline with interesting dialogues and character development. This game is about building a character and hacking through piles of brainless monsters as efficiently as possible.
    - Playing the same character gets boring after a while - once you acquire your end-game gear and level all your skills gems, there is not much left to do but farm maps and try to acquire more wealth.
    - The level of micro-management and skill that is required in the combat is comparatively low (exceptions are a few end-game bosses).
    - The RNG of drops or crafting luck can sometimes feel unfair
    - Desync problems can be very punishing for some people

The pros in my opinion outweigh the cons. Definitely a game you should try if you like old school hack and slash RPGs such as Diablo 2 and its various clones. For me it took 2 years of playing to finally get bored and move on to something else.
  47. Jan 27, 2015
    This is the best ARPG since Diablo II. This is actually the spiritual successor to D2, since Blizzard didn't bother to try with D3. The passive skill web is brilliant, the active skills are incredibly customizable, the game mechanics are rock solid. The only thing wrong with this game is the desync. Yeah, you'll die to some desync. Minus a quarter point for that, but that leaves this gameThis is the best ARPG since Diablo II. This is actually the spiritual successor to D2, since Blizzard didn't bother to try with D3. The passive skill web is brilliant, the active skills are incredibly customizable, the game mechanics are rock solid. The only thing wrong with this game is the desync. Yeah, you'll die to some desync. Minus a quarter point for that, but that leaves this game at a solid 10.75/10. Oh yeah, and it's free. Expand
  48. Jan 12, 2015
    A worthwhile ARPG, definitely worth trying if you're a fan of the genre.

Complex skill systems, lots of different builds to create, varied loot with different ways to upgrade items. You can even make health potion flasks with differing stats. There are races/ladders, a thriving economy with constant trading, and pvp. The devs update content and are engaged. POE can be difficult,
    A worthwhile ARPG, definitely worth trying if you're a fan of the genre.

POE can be difficult, you have to make correct decisions regarding your character build. If youre looking for an optimal character your first play through, you may want to read up on game mechanics and builds. Also, at some point you're probably going to have to do some trading if you want great gear.

Desync is unfortunately an issue. Occasionally the game client and the server don't communicate correctly. This did not effect me at all, for some people it's a legit hindrance.

It's free to play with a cash shop full of cosmetic stuff and frills. You can't pay for more powerful characters, or max level characters, or experience boosts, or any of that garbage. The game is not pay to win.

I played POE for a while and then moved on, but I may be back some day. It's a cool game from a small but dedicated team.
  49. Jan 5, 2015
    I'm a long time rpg and hacknslash gamer, and PoE is one of the best - it's what D3 shoulda and coulda been if ActiBlizz had done things right.

The game is free, and only need to spend money on 'fluff' if you choose to do so. The most impressive thing about the game is the skill tree. It's an information design work of art, imho. There are tons of skills to choose from, arranged in a

The most impressive thing about the game is the skill tree. It's an information design work of art, imho. There are tons of skills to choose from, arranged in a interconnected, weblike series of links. Because of this and a lack of class specific weapon and armor restrictions, you can customize your character anyway you like. You can have a heavily armored-bow wielding ranger, or a robe wearing warrior wielding a huge axe, and a minion-zombie army. It's all up to you.

Give this game a try, it's free to download!!
  50. Dec 27, 2014
    This game is simply an awesome find! It is the game you wanted diablo 3 to be! The skills tree is amazing! Make sure you play for an hour to get the feel of it. The skills tree offers so many possibilities and directions to take your character. Equipment is cool and the levels do not all look the same like diablo. I gave this game a 10 because if you like diablo style game this is the realThis game is simply an awesome find! It is the game you wanted diablo 3 to be! The skills tree is amazing! Make sure you play for an hour to get the feel of it. The skills tree offers so many possibilities and directions to take your character. Equipment is cool and the levels do not all look the same like diablo. I gave this game a 10 because if you like diablo style game this is the real deal. I would be embarrassed and ashamed if I were blizzard because these guys totally out did blizzard and blizzard is a big company. Some of the bosses are really powerful and a blast to try and bring down. To top it all off the game is awesome free! Expand
  51. Dec 14, 2014
    I spent with this game probably nearly 1000hours already and I must say it's best in genre right now. So short review:

Cons: - Server-client communication is one of the worst I've seen, there is desync issue and it's the first thing you need to learn, how to play around it and minimize it. Pros: - fair f2p (only cosmetic microtransactions) - advanced mechanics with huge passive tree

Pros: - fair f2p (only cosmetic microtransactions) - advanced mechanics with huge passive tree and skill gems with altering gems (called support gems) bring lots of builds and combinations so you always can play something new
    - a gameplay with learning curve, where you have to adapt to certain mobs and bosses by knowing mechanincs. Each mob has unique abilities as well as randomly added mods, so you can never be sure what you will encounter, you see mods of a mob - you need to instantly react accordingly.
    - end-game randomized difficulty zones (called maps with mods which increase difficulty, but also reward)
    - good seasons system (leagues and races)
    - frequent content updates (zones, events, skills, unique items)
    - interesting itemization, especially unique items which are very build defining in most cases.
    - interesting currency system (barter system) - it's currency and crafting tool at the same time
    - good crafting system after recent addition of forsaken masters.

Overall, desync is the only real issue, but can learn how to reduce it and make less frequent and you can enjoy depth of this game
  52. Dec 10, 2014
    Path of Exile is just how Diablo 3 would be if its original team would made it, accepting the lack of the offline mode and all what it implies (since play whenever you want to have mods), but neither Diablo 3 have it, right? The fact is that this game is best than Diablo 3 in each feature: dark gothic ambient with realistic adult graphics; a fair rewarding loot system; bigger and randomlyPath of Exile is just how Diablo 3 would be if its original team would made it, accepting the lack of the offline mode and all what it implies (since play whenever you want to have mods), but neither Diablo 3 have it, right? The fact is that this game is best than Diablo 3 in each feature: dark gothic ambient with realistic adult graphics; a fair rewarding loot system; bigger and randomly generated maps; 7 epic characters absurdly customizable by an endless constellation of passives and exchangeable actives; a worthy crafting system leading barter as the only economic system in which there is no money! To resume, each feature feels as the real evolution of Diablo 2 in straight opposite way from Diablo 3, all of this in a true free game... Are you still reading? Go for this masterpiece and if you like it buy some stupid cosmetic to contribute to a well thought ARPG! Expand
  53. Nov 28, 2014
    This game is very complex and customizable, which requires good planning and strategy. The more you play the more you find it enjoyable. You can play however you like, there is little to no restrictions your personal style, if you wan't to play an archer Witch, you can. If you want to make personal build, why not? A lots of new content updated every month. The developers of this game isThis game is very complex and customizable, which requires good planning and strategy. The more you play the more you find it enjoyable. You can play however you like, there is little to no restrictions your personal style, if you wan't to play an archer Witch, you can. If you want to make personal build, why not? A lots of new content updated every month. The developers of this game is very friendly and listens to the community closely. Do not let the learning curve/game mechanics hold you down! Expand
  54. Nov 25, 2014
    This is... a stunning game! Really. Great climate, fantastic graphic (yep, for me it is, cause it fits AWESOME this title) and a lot of stuff to learn, discover. The truly Diablo's 2 child. But with more complex skill tree, more complex items system... more complex everything! And with the same dark climate. Even darker than Diablo's one. I felt in love with this game and can't stop playing.
  55. Nov 24, 2014
    Path of Exile is clearly a labour of love. It's a wonderful game with some fresh ideas and good mechanics that breaths some more life into the traditional ARPG format.

It is similar to Diablo 3, Torchlight 2 and Titan Quest in general gameplay. All your standard things such as levelling up, loot, random levels and monster slaying are here. Where it differs from the aforementioned games is the skill and level-up system, which is an interesting change. As you level up, you gain passive skill points to spend on things such as damage, armour, critical chance etc.

You gain your active skills from a variety of different gems, which can be freely plopped into items you find - and taken out without a fuss. This allows you to quickly swap skills in and out - completely changing your play-style in a matter of seconds. These gems also level-up with you and become more powerful. You can create powerful combos by linking support gems with active skills to augment your favourites.

This balance between "permanent" passive skills and changeable active skills is actually really good and works well together. You can still build a character to exactly what you want - and the passive skill "tree" is absolutely huge.

Different classes start the game at different points in the skill tree, meaning they can gain access to abilities that suit them best earlier than other classes, but it also means, with a bit of work, you can turn pretty much any class in the game to do something different. It's unique and very well rounded.

As a free-to-play game, it's a must try for anyone that likes the format. It's a great game, made even better by being free to play. At no point does it feel like you *have* to pay to get the most out of it, like some other FTP games I have tried in the past.

Go on, give it a whirl, it's free!

Jimbo Rating: 7/10
  56. Nov 14, 2014
    I wish I could dish out 10's, but I can't.

In a perfect world I would be totally content with the content of this game. Of course I am not. But hey. Bluntly. There is no 10. People play a lot of games and they either enjoy them a great deal, or they do not. I have enjoyed this game for a better portion of a thousand hours. Path of Exile is, in all honesty, the Diablo 3 we were
    I wish I could dish out 10's, but I can't.

Path of Exile is, in all honesty, the Diablo 3 we were waiting for. It reinvigorates the whole genre by introducing a plethora, almost sickeningly a though through set, of game mechanics that will suck the player in to the wicked and, oh so twisted, world of Wraeclast.

The game introduces a marvelous blend of old and new, in a way that you would really expect on the basis of an older game such as Diablo 2.

However, the game is quite complicated to say the least, and it can prove to be fatal to a newcomer. But still we would not have it any other way. It is simply worth the time investment. The more you learn, the more you get into the gist of it.

I really cannot recall a day in the last two years where I did not at some point contemplate some cool build that I would really want to try out.

Do watch out. It is addictive and good.

One word: Bravo.
  57. Nov 8, 2014
    BEST ARPG ever made:
    1. Insane character development, can start with a witch ending with whatever you want according the path you decide trough a configurable active skills, support, and... look at that passive skill tree! Is a damned constellation!
    BEST ARPG ever made:
    2. Cleaver economy based on barter in which there is no such thing as inflation like the "gold base " economy in most games, you trade with currency that are useful to most things in game, so currency preserves it value.
    3. Useful craft: one of the few online games in which crafting is useful! Yes, you will be at maximum level and still using that nice armor you've crafted at very low level (that is what makes currency be worth).
    4. Useful common drops, same as described above: crafting made yellow items almost as useful as legendary even at higher levels.
    5. A fair learning difficulty curve that forces you to be constantly developing your character to progress. Even with high level characters "carrying you", can't beat the game without an idea of your goals.
    6. Not Pay 2 Win. Unlike most "so called F2P" games, this is 100% free and 24 characters per account. With micro transactions you'll be able to buy only aesthetical complements or more space to inventory.
    7. The deeper environment in the straight line with Diablo 2. You will feel fear in one occasion, guaranteed.

Except for one point:
    8. The only whim I have is that is only online. This game would be awesome offline to play without lag and even better to have mods...

So this game is ALMOST perfect, only the unfair "DRM online MMO system" is why I can't give it a 10, I cannot fully enjoy a game that I don't own, for example, servers of Sacred, Dungeon Siege or Titan Quest was shutdown long ago but I still playing those incredibly ARPGs and with mods! I don't know how much this game would be available and that bothers me in direct proportion to what I like it...
  58. Nov 8, 2014
    A true isometric RPG. Fans of the Diablo series will find much to like in Path of Exile (PoE). A vast skill tree, unique armors and weapons, a great gem system, and the ability to play without paying.... all combine to make this a great game. Stop reading this review and go download PoE now.
  59. Nov 3, 2014
    This game has average graphic, average sound quite bad story and GODLY gameplay.
    By that I mean that the gameplay is SO good that you forget anything about story, graphic or anything else.

The game takes diablo 2 key features and expands them creating a unique gameplay with almost infinite possibilities. The setting (world, skill, characters) is dark and scary and this, combined with the actual fear of dying, gives a unique experience.

Sadly desync is "part of the game", you have to take desync in consideration while slashing mob hordes because if you don't, you probably end up dead.
    Graphic is not an eye candy like most commercial games but I won't say there's any impact on enjoyment.
    About game's music I have to say only a few background music themes are good, most of them are not really enjoyable (unlike Diablo II for example). I wrote myself an utility that replaces most game's musics with Diablo I / Diablo II ones and it was awesome, almost another game.

Finally, the game is free to play and not pay to win, there are no boost microtransactions, only visual effects. Game support is fast and precise.

So, just be careful, this game is addicting, a lot.
  60. Oct 29, 2014
    There are too many things that ruin the game:

1.Trading: No trading system, items are offered via trade chat (about 100 per minute). Impossible to compare offers for a single item you are looking for. Furthermore, about 95% of these items are pure junk and overpriced. 2. Leveling: Leveling up a character becomes boring if you have to repeat the same areas 3 times before you
    There are too many things that ruin the game:

1.Trading:

2. Leveling:

Leveling up a character becomes boring if you have to repeat the same areas 3 times before you attempt what they call "end-game content".

3. End game and rewards:

That is running maps (with map levels from 66 up to 79) with a Bossmonster at the end of the map.That looks fine because we all know that Bossmonsters hold special rewards like cool Uniques or currency or even more maps. In fact, they drop crap. I ran lvl 77-78 maps with a guildmate who had an 400% increased chance to get rarer items for almost a week and got nothing valuable.

4. Partying:

see performance and technical issues

5. Performance and technical issues:

There are too many things ruining gameplay and have not been adressed as of now, one of the worst is desync. Loosing hours of playtime you have spend because your character dies and suffers a 10% XP penalty becaus the servers loose the exact position of your character and sends you back to a place where you had been a few seconds before isn't really fun. The official game forum is full of players complaining exactly this. And now, something funny: GGG declares this as a feature to prevent cheating.

Partying sounds like fun, if you like dia-shows.Too many skills and character builds cause even high-end computers to drop down to a few frames when playing in a group.
    The last mini expansion "The Forsaken Masters" made it even worse.With this expansion players can have their own personal hideout, a place to rest or sort things in your stash, nothing special because this hideout is only a small tileset with a few objects like bricks or a wall or a few trees. Guess what happens to your framerate when entering your or other players hideout? But hey........you can
    decorate your personal hideout with hundreds of objects (of course you can buy them from GGG, but there are also free ones)....guess again what happens to your framerate and loading time ?
    I forgot weather effects. Yes, weather effects have been implemented to more and more areas over the last months although many players complain about framedrops in these areas.Instead of adding a chance to turn weather effects off via the options menue, they add even more.
    Opening the box....surprise, surprise......whats in the box? While running around you may find kind of a chest box, called strongbox.Introduced in the "Ambush league" a few months ago, you'll get ambushed by monsters when opening these boxes.Sounds funny, but.............many computers freeze for 1-2 secs while the game is loading the monsters. Click the Resurrect button and take the 10% XP penalty.

All in all this game is an ambitious project, but GGG failed in too many aspects.
  61. Oct 16, 2014
    Quite a good, enjoyable game. Fun for a while. But like with usual hack and slash games, I got bored with it after a while, just feels a bit too repetitive and only about loot and not much else.
  62. Oct 2, 2014
    There have been ARPGs that charge a full retail price of $40 that don't come close to the quality of Path of Exile. If you like Diablo and other Hack n Slashers, look no further. I honestly would vote this as the closest competitor to Diablo since Diablo's release.
  63. Sep 29, 2014
    looks realy old, and should have offline mode, skilltree is little to big, they could have moved str int dex somevhere else, i would recomend titan quest, dablo 3, grim dawn and torchlight
  64. Sep 21, 2014
    Purely luck based.

Purely luck based.

POE is the "unofficial successor" to the eminently respectable Diablo 2. And while it has inherited some good points it also inherited all the bad things. To bring it to the point: This game is completely luck based. Player Skill and the skilling itself (called passives here) are more or less irrelevant compared to the items. In this game you have to find the right items, the right number of sockets in these items, the right color of sockets, the right skills and so on. If you run out of luck on just one of these you hit a wall at lvl 50 that you cant pass.
    Of course in order to give the player a chance you can use "orbs" to change the properties of an item, but that is also purely luck based. You can use one orb to get the desired result, or you can use 1000. I wanted to change the number of sockets on one item in order to use a skill with the needed amount of linked support skills. For that I used up ALL orbs I found in the game so far (like 50 hours) and I didnt get one step closer to the needed amount of sockets (wanted to change it from 3 to at least 4, never got more than 3 even though up to 6 are possible).
    Like in Diablo 2 the good items are only possible to find in areas where you wont be able to get without having luck in the first place, which turns this game into a stupid grind game (half of the party lobbies are farming lobbies with people running around in the same area for hours cause they cant continue the real game without a lucky drop). that may have been ok 12 years ago (in Diablo 2), but today thats just bad. Therefore this game is only for die hard fans of Diablo 2, who want to get the same game with better graphics. Those who want to play a game thats "up to date" should play Torchlight II instead.
  65. Sep 17, 2014
    Great game. Fresh new ideas for the ARPG genre, lots of game play. Grinding gear Games seems to listen to the player community, and the development is very active. Racing and season rewards are great.

Its too good for a F2P game. But it is not completely perfect. There are some lag and desync issues still.
  66. Sep 13, 2014
    Probably the best free game ever produced, definitely the best free game I've played. It is also in the top-tier as far as Action-RPG or Hack n Slash titles go along with the Diablo franchise, Torchlight, and Sacred.
  67. Sep 9, 2014
    This game is a better successor to D2 than D3 was.

Pros: The bartering-currency system, interesting skill tree, free to play, not pay to win, lots of new content every ~6 months.
    Cons: Horrible desyncing issues, poorly optimized
  68. Aug 25, 2014
    I tried to like it, I really did. But; the game play is clumsy, the graphics are painful, I do not enjoy spamming 1 spell over and over, most of the skill tree is useless, the lag/desync is outrageous... I am all about liking the concept, but this was poorly done.

I realize that there is a fan base that holds this game as the true sequel to Diablo 2. I whole heartedly disagree. I think Diablo 2 is vastly superior in every way except graphics.

I wish I could actually find another Diablo 2. Diablo 3, while fun- falls short of the mark. It's more of an action game. And PoE was just a painful experience. Maybe call it PoS?
  69. Aug 15, 2014
    One of the best games I ever played. This have has everything that diablo 3 didn't have. Starting from huge passive tree there you can build your character in any way you want , interesting and unique currency system and finishing with end game content which is by the way most awsome thing I ever seen.
  70. Jul 19, 2014
    Path of Exile along with DotA 2 are the best F2P games I've ever played. Content-wise there's really nothing to complain about.
    As an ARPG, it isn't as fluid and beautiful as Diablo 3 - but it has that oldschool feeling and gameplay that facilitates user interaction, very similar to Diablo 2.

The complaints I have about this game would be that it's somewhat rigid, unstable difficulty scaling and that the current desync problems make it a game unfit for Hardcore or certain builds.
  71. Jul 18, 2014
    I've logged about 200 hours with this game and gotten couple characters to final stages of merciless difficulty, and had mostly a good time.

The game picks up slow at the start, but quickly gets going. You smash foes collect loot, and develop your character. The character development is unforgiving, forcing you to think what skills to pick, a glass cannon with massive dps might sound

The character development is unforgiving, forcing you to think what skills to pick, a glass cannon with massive dps might sound cool and it will even work on normal and up to cruel difficulty levels, but beyond that it will be very hard to be advancing with such a build, so if you want to go the distance you have to sacrifice dps in favour of survivability. This is all very good in my opinion and for new players there is no need to be afraid of the massive skill tree, you'll be navigating it in no time.

The journey up to about mid merciless difficulty is a lot of fun, and can be done by most build with self gearing. At about lvl 65+ is where the grind starts to set it and the game becomes very much an elitist affair.

Because there are so many mods on a given piece of equipment, a good combination of these is very rare, and you need good equipment to be doing merciless difficulty without too much frustration. So there really two choices, grind the same map over, and over and over again, in hopes that one of those rares that drop are actually worth anything, or sell your soul and trade for some gear with other players.

I like steady progression with these kinds of games and there is literally an artificial block put in place in Path of Exile. One of my character is doing Piety and Dominus runs because they are the best bosses for low tear end game gear, but those are same bosses on the same maps populated by the same monsters. And after doing this for a week, with xp bar craaaaaawling slowly forward I must say the game got really boring.

XP bar crawls forward a bit faster in maps, which are random areas with high lvl monsters, but even there, there is only so much to see and do. While Grindin Gear Games doesn't charge you to play the game, most other players at high levels will, for allowing you the privilege of joining them on a high lvl map run.

Well to make long story short the game stops being fun at later stages, but definitely worth playing though. Oh and if you are playing for any significant amount of time, remember the game is free, but devs definitely deserve a reward for making a good game, don't be a cheap skate, spend some cash in their "cosmetic stuff only" shop.
  72. Jun 6, 2014
    With tons of ARPGs active these days it can be difficult to stand out, but Grinding Gear Games does a very good job in making a unique play experience.

The Positive: A bartering currency system that doubles as a crafting system is a great idea. Vendors can be used to set a maximum/minimum value of currency exchange. (if you can vendor 1X for 2Y then Y isn't ever going to inflate higher

The Positive:
    A bartering currency system that doubles as a crafting system is a great idea. Vendors can be used to set a maximum/minimum value of currency exchange. (if you can vendor 1X for 2Y then Y isn't ever going to inflate higher then X) I for one never really like the idea of digital "gold/platinum/credits/gems/etc", if you aren't a trader then you just need them to fill currency sinks and it can feel grind-y without adding anything to game play. Adding a value to the currency beyond what an NPC or Player will give you for it makes spending or using it a more meaningful interaction.

New 4 month leagues with different rule sets for standard and hardcore always bring back players and keep things interesting. In addition to testing new features and additions to be added to permanent leagues.

Races are a very unique and fun take on the traditional ladder system, often vastly changing the play experience and offering some nice rewards for people willing to put in the effort.

The amount of customization for builds and skill choices is simply unrivaled. There are some builds that are more popular/easier to use and not everything is suited well to endgame content. But there is absolutely no one who has "done it all"

The Negative:
    Due to the developers preference in game play mechanics the net code suffers a bit. Stuttering and de-syncing are common enough its not unusual for most players to use a /OOS (Out Of Sync) macro to make sure the play experience isn't interrupted by a disagreement between client and server, which could potentially endanger hundreds of hours of hard work on a hardcore character.

Races as mentioned are a super fun experience I would recommend anyone who wishes to play this game try at some point, but sometimes are few and far between. Especially if you wish to participate in a particular rule set that doesn't make the rotation as often. Hopefully this will be alleviated somewhat when they introduce player run "paid" custom leagues.

New players are often overwhelmed with decisions on how to build their character. The community has done a lot to alleviate this with build forums, dedicated build websites, and even GGG having a build of the week segment. Ultimately though, this isn't a game you can fully enjoy as a fresh player by sitting down and throwing skill points around willy-nilly. You have to be willing to sacrifice several characters of trial and error to see what is viable or put in the time to research a build before hand (Which I would recommend)

A lot of people experience burn out after creating many characters and playing through the story several times. It isn't an issue for everybody, I had experienced this somewhat after rolling nearly 30 characters and getting some into map content (endgame). I will say that new content like in Ambush with strongboxes guarded by more enemies but containing valuable loot (some times) and Invasion with its increased mob variety and extra hard additional bosses on every map certainly did a lot to fix that issue for me. They also had a charity race which included both and many people actually had so much fun doing it the regular game became boring when it ended and they are waiting for the new 4 month leagues to start.
  73. May 30, 2014
    Great, deep action RPG marred by netcode issues. Pure free to play without any pay to win elements, and race and league events serve both as a testing ground for new features and a way to keep the game fresh. Well worth checking out.
  74. May 23, 2014
    This game is focused on too much to be like D2 in artstyle and character builds, it just lacks fun.
    Embeding skills into gear is just a ridiculous idea.
    Giant skill tree seems good at first but lose your way in midway and you have to go get some help from community at some point. There are no ragdoll physics or anything, and animations are a little bit rough around the edges. But it's
    Embeding skills into gear is just a ridiculous idea.
    There are no ragdoll physics or anything, and animations are a little bit rough around the edges. But it's acceptable for a f2p game I guess.

I couldn't finish the game, it just got too boring.
  75. May 19, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Don't fall for this game's tricks! When you first start playing, it seems awesome because you're fighting skeletons on a scary beach. The monsters are something you can relate to, and the environment is well-themed. Lightning, dark caves, skeletons, and ghosts await you at every turn. But by Act 3 that experience dissipates into a mockery of what the game built its roots on.

You end up fighting fire beetles. Yes, tons and tons of beetles, and the Act 2 end boss amounts to a giant can-opener or something ridiculous. Then instead of cool, classic monsters, you'll be fighting ribbons. Yes, I said ribbons. And these weird, ridiculous monsters that don't use their claws on you, but try to leg-sweep you for reasons unknown, like some sort of mentally challenged ninja.

Also, the maps in Act 3 become horrifically boring and way over-sized, so you'll have to spend hours upon hours just finding way-points unless you don't want to save your progress. I played with a friend of mine and we raved about how great the game was at first, but Act 3 destroyed the entire experience and we quit playing it. It was a depressing letdown and I felt like crying.
  76. May 11, 2014
    This game has poor optimization, it's laggy, outdated graphics for a 2013 product and on top of that isn't fun, stopped playing after a little time.
    Five points only because it is "free" (microtransactions inside).
  77. May 4, 2014
    La verdad no soy un amante de los rpg pero este juego me a gustado muchisimo Unos graficos bastante buenos una jugabilidad tambien muy buena personalizacion de personajes y ese pequeño toque de mundo abierto que tiene lo hace muy bueno Ami me gusto mucho.
  78. Apr 30, 2014
    I installed this game building new comp for my friend, and as I played games for last 30 years, its just biggest disappointment. This game is boring, I needed couple of cups of coffee to carry on playing, and I will never return to this game again. Diablo 2 is excellent game, Torchlight 2 is great, Diablo 3 has its flaws but this????
    As I played witch game relies on spamming your
    As I played witch game relies on spamming your skills...no cooldowns and checking your mana stat.
    I have to give some credit to guys from New Zealand for their passion to make this game but definitely "this is not Diablo 2" successor its just boring game as hell
  79. Apr 22, 2014
    This is a diablo-like, but this is not definitely not Diablo, the combat are so slowww, i feel like hitting a piece of butter with a plastic fork. the graphics are ugly...some people will say "it's dark, not like diablo", well it's not dark for me, it's ugly, everything is static, nothing lives in this game.
  80. Apr 18, 2014
    Game is fun for a couple of weeks, but like a lot of these games suffers from bad loot, incoherent nerfs, meaningless stats, bad scaling, useless dodge/defense mechanics and extremely limited game-play. There is no trading system. Pretty clear the developer is lost with this one.
  81. Apr 15, 2014
    I absolutely love the skill tree aspect of the game which gives it incredible individuality, yet as i play more and more it feels lacking in attachment, that may just be me. Yet for someone looking for a game that is free to play and great for an RPG fix this is for you.
  82. Apr 14, 2014
    PoE is really what I expected as a successor to Diablo 2. The game is a bit late to the scene and did not have enough advertisement to make it what it should/could have been. However it is amazing in it's own right.
    Things it does right:
    - Story line (The story line is complex and gives the character motivation for moving place to place) - Intuitive design (it is very similar to most of
    Things it does right:
    - Intuitive design (it is very similar to most of the games in it's genre including the popular Diablo line)
    - Skill tree (There is only one skill tree, each class begins at a different place, and there are many many choices and paths to take)

Things I'm not content with:
    -the trade system (it is not coin based, each item is worth a type of base magic item [ident. scrolls, teleport scrolls etc.] and items are purchased from the vendor in the same sort of barter, it makes it difficult to flat purchase items and limits trade considerably, but this may have been their intent)
    -The Grouping System (I feel it is a little clunky but if more players were to use it, it would be manageable, but the player base is not what it could have been)
  83. Apr 5, 2014
    I remember the days when I used to play a variety of games, this abruptly stopped when I really got into POE. I have spent a great deal of time with this game, thousands of hours I am sure, and even though it has flaws(some that make you want to break things at times), it is still the most addictive game I have ever played. You can view my profile to see my gaming history, I feel myI remember the days when I used to play a variety of games, this abruptly stopped when I really got into POE. I have spent a great deal of time with this game, thousands of hours I am sure, and even though it has flaws(some that make you want to break things at times), it is still the most addictive game I have ever played. You can view my profile to see my gaming history, I feel my opinion here is pretty valid. I can't really explain the depth with PoE, you will have to play it for a while to experience it, but this is definitely a game for hardcore gamers in the ARPG field. The way items drop, how the economy works, and crafting, all make for a wonderfully challenging and time consuming experience. The skill tree is of course incredible and the amount of builds are endless.

This is the first 10 I have given in a long time but I do feel it is necessary to say that this game is not perfect. I give it a 10 because although it is not perfect, the amount of entertainment (play time) I have received is beyond any other game and it has all been for free. In the future I hope to see improvements with the servers in general, including lag, disconnections, and desync. There also needs to be more end-game content, I have consistently ranked in the top 20 on ladder seasons but grinding the same four maps is getting a little stale ;x

All-in-all though if you are an ARPG or Diablo fan this game is a must try!!!!!! Collapse
  84. Apr 5, 2014
    Path of Exile combines lush atmospheres and an original setting with deep mechanics for character customization and solid, satisfying ARPG gameplay. It is a title of so-called AAA quality that is completely free to play and lacking in any pay-to-win elements. Grinding Gear Games regularly adds new content patches, and runs daily 'race' league events that provide additional variety andPath of Exile combines lush atmospheres and an original setting with deep mechanics for character customization and solid, satisfying ARPG gameplay. It is a title of so-called AAA quality that is completely free to play and lacking in any pay-to-win elements. Grinding Gear Games regularly adds new content patches, and runs daily 'race' league events that provide additional variety and challenge. The sprawling tree of passive character upgrades allows for robust development of different playstyles, and the skill gem system lets players effectively tweak and craft their own skills and spells. The game is only marred by the occasional occurrence of 'out of sync,' a lag-like problem that pops up when players or enemies begin spamming movement skills. While mildly annoying, it's generally infrequent enough not to be a problem. Expand
  85. Apr 5, 2014
    This game is a pretty good hack and slash game and gives players a good single player and multiplayer experience. However, I do not think this game is to be considered the best hack and slash game. The customization is deep, and the dark, moody setting gives it a "Diablo" feel to it. Oh and lets not forget, ITS FREE TO PLAY.
  86. Apr 4, 2014
    I really don't know which part of game I need to start, cause whole game is outstanding. Replayability, variativity, mix of planning and gambling-like hopes that next item would be treasure for you. Brilliant solution for trading with currency items instead of gold which lose value from start of servers.
    After all it's hardcore and oldschool. Instead of buying DLCs you need to play, to open additional character. Yeah, no expirience boosters and other crap in f2p shop. Only way to success in game - play it! You just can't find other game like this nowadays.
  87. Mar 30, 2014
    Best ARPG there is at the moment, only negative points would be the story if you are into this ( i dont care at all in an ARPG) and there are some desync issues, but you can work around them most of the time if you know what you are doing
  88. Mar 27, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Poe is classic "diablo game".Even its lack atmosphere from D1 it still offers a good game experience lets say differently.I have to admit developers for progressive aproach to the game. Well its not like starcraft 1 and 2 - u dont give new units graphics and thats it .. Sure its diablo clone - but with some new brave ideas, new gameplay systems.. lets see pluses and minuses of the game

+ Character customization it was never so complex in any other diablo clone game - skill three is so huge u will **** bricks and is biggest in diablo clone games so far.
    + Skills as gems this system is really revolutionary you can create your own skills - with complex skill tree that`s really kick-ass!
    + Currency system and crafting with orbs
    + it`s free completely
    + Constant updates from game developers side
    + Race modes where u can compete with other players usualy who gets faster experience

- Desinc problem , well this is one of big issues of the game, you can die easy because of this lag and thats big problem for players who want to play hardcore mode
    - Leveling skills dosent feel rewarding especialy for weapon skills
    - Monsters dosent have a personality usualy u see them as hit points to get rid off no special tactics is needed maybe little on highier difficulties.Also u have to face skelletons just with more hit points and damage even in act 3, well thats quite bad cause u want that feeling what will be there when beat boss at end of act 2 and u see skeletons hmm...
    - 3 dificulty settings - well i know its diablo clone but cmon this is not the best way to increase game length i hoped for something better with such progressive atitude
  89. Mar 25, 2014
    this game is free to play so i gave it a try after being disappointed with diablo 3. I like the fact that it has a very complicated skill tree and it is really fun especially when you play with party members. Only downside is that there is a 1 second delay sometimes and it gets really annoying.
  90. Sok
    Mar 23, 2014
    Very solid ARPG with a complicated skill tree that has no limits. Want a Ranger with a 2 handed sword? Want a Marauder with a bow? Go ahead! This game is free & not pay to win. I think that alone is a win win.
  91. Mar 20, 2014
    POE é um dos melhores RPG de ação que já joguei. No melhor estilo de Diablo, são horas de jogo em um mundo sombrio e macabro que ainda é possivel jogar com os amigos ou com qualquer pessoa do mundo.
  92. Mar 20, 2014
    If you are a Diablo fan, this is your holy grail. If you are after more of an RPG, this is your grave. This is a standard ARPG (which I pretty rather like to call as "Character Building Game" instead) with one of the deepest character building system ever. That's just about where all the fun is. There is next to no story, no choice but a linear world through which you senselessly killIf you are a Diablo fan, this is your holy grail. If you are after more of an RPG, this is your grave. This is a standard ARPG (which I pretty rather like to call as "Character Building Game" instead) with one of the deepest character building system ever. That's just about where all the fun is. There is next to no story, no choice but a linear world through which you senselessly kill everything that moves regardless of what it actually is and how it actually fights. All monsters are really just hollow graphics that are nothing more than target practise for your character and your character is just another souless look-alike with no customizable face so everyone of the same class looks the same... clones everywhere. I would like to give it a 6 rather than a 7 but the fact that it is a good representation of a arpg, I won't pull it down that much. All in all, they should have given such a deep character building game more soul. Expand
  93. Mar 20, 2014
    POE is Epic, Actually Best Action RPG. And it's for 100% TRUE free.
    IF you stay 10-20 minutes thinking about your abilities and equipment before continue you have a game that's not only hack and slash but a REAL RPG.
    Lot of abilities and it's always your decision. (If you haven't done..look "POE skill tree") Supported, big, deeper and with a solid community. Lot of equipment, no
    POE is Epic, Actually Best Action RPG. And it's for 100% TRUE free.

Lot of abilities and it's always your decision.
    (If you haven't done..look "POE skill tree")
    Supported, big, deeper and with a solid community.
    Lot of equipment, no gold only exchange.
    Big and difficult enough. (Random areas and dungeon)
    Graphic is good, something real style not cartoon.

If you wanna a RPG game where you have to think, this is the game.

In a Generation of games made only for profit someone give us a Real Game for gamers.
  94. Mar 10, 2014
    I'm so fully committed to Path of Exile that I've spent a bit of coin myself, and my witch is only one of many wayfarers I intend to guide through Wraeclast. Many mysteries still await me, even in the savage regions I've already charted.
  95. Mar 9, 2014
    This game is boring. No, i mean REALLY BORING. The only reason people play it, is to say "im not diablo3 fanboy, look i play better game". Ah and its free, schoolboys like to grind not work to buy game.
    But meanwhile there is no game at all. Only excel skill planing. Gameplay is boring rightclick like 1000 times before.
    The plot sometimes interesting, but can you write down any NPC name
    The plot sometimes interesting, but can you write down any NPC name after you finish it? Nope.

How fanboy see it: thousand builds
    In real world: 3.5 actual builds, other is weak and unplayable / playable only with gear grinded 500 hours.

How fanboy see it: SOOOO MUCH PASIVESS!!!!
    In real world: 99% of nodes are same as "put 5 points in str/agi/int after lvlup".

How fanboy see it: free game, no pay to win, no money auction
    In real world: bots in every league, black market = same money auction but some people dont know / dont wanna use it

etc. etc. etc.

Overrated game. 4.
  96. Mar 3, 2014
    Path of Exile is an excellent game and I make that statement at 100+ hours played. It isn't without its flaws, so the bad news first:

-I've had a few issues with de-sync, but it isn't so consistent to detract from the game. -There's also a bit of a learning curve figuring out the skill tree and currency system, but I honestly enjoy that in a game. Though to some this is a big

-There's also a bit of a learning curve figuring out the skill tree and currency system, but I honestly enjoy that in a game. Though to some this is a big detractor.

-The game is also for all intents and purposes a clone of Diablo. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but a redesign of the health/mana globes and potion belt are long overdue.

-This is a grind for gear game just like all the other titles in the genre, so don't expect it to break the mold in that respect.

Now for the good news.

+It's completely free. No catch. No advertisements, no pay to win, no trial run. This should be THE model that free games follow. You can show your support for the game by purchasing weapon particle effects, non-combat pets, and alternate spell animations from the website. There's also supporter packs that give you real world goods like hats and shirts.

+The leagues and ladders are an interesting way to keep the game fresh. Joining a league server means you're entering a fresh game economy. Each league also adds different challenges for the player to overcome.

+I also really enjoy the twist on game mechanics. The skill tree, refilling potions, and the use of skill gems are all interesting variations on the style.

+Though story always takes a backseat in this type of game, there is one being told. It's nothing earth shattering, but I've enjoyed the pieces of story put into the game. I also love the voice actors for the game.
  97. Mar 3, 2014
    I can't say enough about how good this game is. I love how the passive talent point system works to diversify your character from other players and how according to what gems you slot bases what abilities you have. I'm an old Diablo fan boy myself and Diablo 3 was some what of a let down for me. That's why I'm glad I discovered this title it actually does what D3 was supposed to do.I can't say enough about how good this game is. I love how the passive talent point system works to diversify your character from other players and how according to what gems you slot bases what abilities you have. I'm an old Diablo fan boy myself and Diablo 3 was some what of a let down for me. That's why I'm glad I discovered this title it actually does what D3 was supposed to do. For those seeking a challenge it has plenty. For those who like it casual it has that too. All things you purchase on the Market are mostly cosmetic character effect and vanity pets. This will be one of the best games you've ever downloaded and it won't cost you a Dime to play. I have yet to buy anything myself but as much as I love it that'll probably change. Expand
  98. Feb 26, 2014
    What d3 should have been.. and it's free.

What d3 should have been.. and it's free.

Exile is but a beautifully crafted story that is compelling and immersive embellished with intriguing and well crafted dialogue. Appreciatively on my part, you'll find no irrelevant "go fetch 20 carrots" or "fritter away 5 minutes of your life by running between locations to collect bottles of goo" for no apparent reason quests we've become accustomed to from our RPG dosage. Instead, each mission is both thoughtful and purposeful, and drives along the story at a gratifyingly pace.

The gameplay mechanics are somewhat innovative especially in terms of character development and offer a grand scope of possibilities. The music compliments to it's eerie atmosphere.

My only qualm with Path of Exile is the fleetness of its existence, that leaves you pining for just a little bit more. Perhaps though this is the best legacy for what is a good solid and memorable RPG.
  99. Feb 23, 2014
    Pros:
    1. Best itemization of any ARPG. Hands down.
    2. Build diversity is incredible 3. The game is very deep and complicated which leads to really rewarding decisions and tons of diversity and excitement 4. FREE 5. Currency/crafting system is very innovative and fun 6. Endgame is very varied and as fun as an ARPG's endgame can be. 7. Developers are seriously amazing. This
    Pros:
    1. Best itemization of any ARPG. Hands down.
    2. Build diversity is incredible
    4. FREE
    5. Currency/crafting system is very innovative and fun
    6. Endgame is very varied and as fun as an ARPG's endgame can be.
    7. Developers are seriously amazing. This point can not be stressed enough. They often speak directly to the playerbase. They are very transparent with their goals, are very open to feedback, and work with the community as a team better than any other game that I've seen.
    8. Ethical microtransactions, no pay to win.
    9. Very fun combat, especially in the late game.
    10. Replayability is very high due to the build diversity and RNG.
    11. Game rewards players for having a high level of knowledge and strategy. Learning and applying the mechanics and strategy can be very rewarding.
    12. Community is really helpful and there are tons of community created tools and guides.
    13. Atmosphere is very dark and fits the hardcore vibe of the game. You don't rush out of the game screaming and killing everything. You have to work your way up in a world that is out to kill you.
    13. Changes and new feature come so often that the game never gets stale. Things are always being added, tweaked and perfected. Just when you thought the game couldn't get better, another big patch comes and reinvigorates your passion for the game. The 4 month leagues add tons of replayability and allows for the game to not grow stale and get dissected min-maxed to tedium.

Cons:
    1. Desync. It's not always noticeable or a big deal but when it is a big deal it will kill you if you do not do something fast. Developers are constantly combating it but it is one of the big flaws of the game
    2. Early game can be a little boring combat-wise. Skills are augmented by support gems and that is when combat get's more fun. In the early game without support gems most skills can be kind of underwhelming. There is something to be said for the atmosphere of the game being but that doesn't mean that GGG couldn't do something to make the early game more exciting.
    3. Pretty damn complicated. Your first character will probably fail, especially if you don't read any tips about how to build your skill tree.
    4. Since trading is a big part of the game, people who prefer to play self-found will have a pretty hard time. I find trading rewarding but not everyone feels that way. You can meet some really cool people when trading and people will give you stuff for really good deals or for free sometimes. Other times a trading partner might be really un-ideal and will piss you off.
    5. It's a hardcore game. This can be good or bad depending on who you are. If you don't want to invest time and thought into a game and you don't want to learn how to trade then you aren't going to experience a lot of the most fun parts of the game imo.

Overall this is the best ARPG on the market. It is a harcore game made by hardcore gamers. The developers are amazing. The community is great. The gameplay is deep and exciting. The loot is sexy. You can get lost in the breadth of this game and it only keeps getting better.
  100. Feb 19, 2014
    I consider this far and away the best game ever made, I will try give some insight into how this has come to be an opinion I would defend to the death.

I consider hardcore to be the only real way to play the game and cannot recommend strongly enough playing in the current 4 month leagues. The standard and hardcore leagues are essentially dumping grounds for old characters and gear, a showcase for old legacy items but not a good reflection the current state of the game. If you only play the standard league you are missing out on all the best features. This is to start from scratch, beg barter and steal your way to power, and do so without a single death or a stash full of currency earned over the months, start from scratch leave the competitors in the dust.

Firstly, it is a game made FOR hardcore PC gamers looking for an ultra deep, ultra challenging game made BY hardcore PC gamers looking for an ultra deep, ultra challenging game. The game here is the game that the developers dream of playing, it is not made to shift units, pump micro transactions or attract a crowd of COD kiddys following their favourite youtube personality. It is made to fill a void that has existed for a very long time, if not forever, in the serious PC gaming market.

Their are no compromises in the games difficulty at any point, the developers have vowed never to make the game easier, only harder.

The beauty and entertainment this game offers is not on a platter, your first character will suck, your second character will suck, you will be a failure at races, you won't understand how leagues work, you will not be able to get any hard to attain items or craft anything worthwhile, for months. But the tools to doing well at the above are not earnt through grinding, they are skills you as a player develop by acquiring knowledge about the games systems.

The time you invest as a new player driven by intrigue and determination rewards you thousandfold not through items, skills or currency but by developing your own skills as a gamer and honing your understanding of how to progress, acquire wealth and create characters.

When a new four month league starts every player who makes a character in it has no access to any items they have acquired previously, non of the characters, or skills (ala D2's ladders). Everyone has a fresh start at the same time, and only your knowledge of how to level quickly, acquire loot and stay alive that keep you in the running.

The game is patched on a bi-weekly basis, the server downtime is usually a matter of seconds, less than 30 seconds. The bi-weekly patches tend to have a couple of new unique items, a new skill, some new vendor recipes and end game maps. Every 4 months a "mini expansion" is released, this coincides with the start of new 4 month leagues, new areas, challenges (very difficult league specific achievements) items and modifiers to the game are introduced and essentially tested here.

I cannot explain how great this game is in 5000 characters, I could talk about it for hours, and hours and hours, but my lunch break is over and I better get back to work. If you have dabbled in this game and did not enjoy it due to "dysync" "sluggishness" "bad/dark graphics" it is truly your loss, the more time and effort you put into this game the more it will give you back, but it is simply too vast and too complicated to be instantly rewarding, yes your characters skills may initially be feeble and sluggish, but this is a world apart from fully developed endgame characters which are capable of destroying 100s of enemy's in a minute in ways that you upon the first beach cannot even begin to imagine.

1. May 9, 2014
    Grinding Gear Games has created something special here, and given it gratis to the world.
  2. Pelit (Finland)
    Mar 11, 2014
    Hack & slash games are addictive because they follow a simple formula: kill, kill and kill some more. Path of Exile is no different in this regard. During your quest in the perilous continent of Wraeclast you need to slay thousands and thousands of monsters but it never gets boring because there are a plenty of fresh ideas like the very vast skill system and barter-based economy that differentiate it from other similar games. But it's not a perfect game. The story is weak and the difficulty level is too low in the beginning. [Dec 2013]
  3. Jan 13, 2014
    An exceptionally generous free-to-play action-rPG. What it lacks in punch it makes up for in depth and value for money.