8.0

1. May 22, 2015
    This is one of the best "Diablo like" games. Even better than Diablo III. Is just an incredible experience, and a really deep game. and for sure... its FREE TO PLAY. Nice work GGG!
  2. Mar 28, 2015
    Path of Exile is in many ways what Diablo 3 should have been. And it has a great free to play model, too. It took me a while to get used to some of the things, but now I'm hooked.

+ Very complex skill system with endless build possibilities. + Almost everything about the gameplay makes perfect sense. You can see how much work the developers put into the details and they did a great

+ Very complex skill system with endless build possibilities.
    + Almost everything about the gameplay makes perfect sense. You can see how much work the developers put into the details and they did a great job.
    + Brings back the Diablo 2 atmosphere and gameplay.
    + Ladder system and fun challenges.
    + Good content updates.
    + Free to play, but not pay to win. Very fair and good shop system.

The game is not without flaws however:

- Sync problems (server lag). This is by far the biggest issue with the game.
    - The way skill tree resets are handled really sucks (when your skills are reset by a patch, you get no respec point).
    - Bad mini map (exactly like the one in D2).
    - No trading system.
    - Interface could be better.
    - Pick up system should show all drops and hide after x seconds.
    - The areas look good, but there could be more variety (snow, desert).

After spending 150+ hours I have to say the end game does get boring after a while. The maps are just badly done. There's no point in only having 6 portals per map. It's a total pain for coop play as you have to wait for the next map when you die. Most players just level alone and it's boring. Also, collecting/managing the maps takes too much time. I wish there was normal story mode end game content that you can just jump into with other players.
  3. Mar 13, 2015
    Best free-to-play game I've ever played. The unique skill and currency system that the game offers takes some serious getting-used-to, but it provides the game with an interesting flavor that makes it truly unique. When all is said and done, it's what I'm going to remember most about this game. I found that using the currency (these gems and whatnot) to try and improve my armor and weaponsBest free-to-play game I've ever played. The unique skill and currency system that the game offers takes some serious getting-used-to, but it provides the game with an interesting flavor that makes it truly unique. When all is said and done, it's what I'm going to remember most about this game. I found that using the currency (these gems and whatnot) to try and improve my armor and weapons was fantastic (when I got what I wanted!) and frustrating (when I didn't). I also enjoyed making choices about what weapons I wanted to use based on what skills I wanted to use- sometimes it almost became a puzzle to coordinate my skills, my sockets, and my weapon types so that I could use Cleave even though my weapon was socketed with all green sockets. That was enjoyable.

I played this game with friends all the way through, and I don't see myself getting into the endgame or becoming active in the community or PVP or anything like that- I really enjoyed the PvE aspect and the fact that on a whim I said to my friends "Hey, let's try Path of Exile". It's free, so we all already owned it, and each one of us enjoyed it immensely. Is it perfect? It was a perfect experience for us.
  4. Mar 10, 2015
    I found Path of Exile to be a great ARPG. I put countless hours into it, grinding for that elusive piece of gear that I never really found. That's the long and short of POE in my view, an otherwise excellent game that is very slightly overshadowed by grinder's fatigue. I made decent use of the brilliant skill tree, probably the best in the business and certainly the most complex in recentI found Path of Exile to be a great ARPG. I put countless hours into it, grinding for that elusive piece of gear that I never really found. That's the long and short of POE in my view, an otherwise excellent game that is very slightly overshadowed by grinder's fatigue. I made decent use of the brilliant skill tree, probably the best in the business and certainly the most complex in recent memory. I rebuilt my character from scratch using different formulae, 4 times in total. I rethought my strategy, played solo and in teams, but eventually hit my personal ceiling in the mid-eighties levels. I was at the point where i simply could not handle any harder bosses without another complete rebuild, and given my caster class, I could not put any more points into defence and resistances without totally nerfing my punching power spell-wise. I tried to tough it out, but given the 20% level penalty for each death, getting one-shotted by level 88 bosses was becoming a nightly exercise in frustration. I was able to mitigate my losses through purchases of expensive gear, but I was nowhere near the level of my tanky counterparts in terms of survivability, and was hitting for less than 30% of their power even with highest level spells available. Also, with a 20% of level penalty per death, the ubiquitous lag in the POE server system was proving to be the cause of too many of my deaths at too high a price.

I agree with other posters that have said success in this game is more about rare gear than about skill. I found that grinding night after night at the mid-80's level would result in gear that was less than 10% as good as the gear I would need to progress into the harder maps. I gave up completely when I finally realized that I would have to grind for months if not years to get even one piece of gear out of many that I would need to continue.

All in all, I had tremendous fun with POE, but after playing about 6 months regularly it lost its' appeal. For the hardest-core grinders only in the long run, but the excellent game design and the fun it offered me was enough for me to voluntarily donate $45 to the cause. Excellent job, GGG, respect on your good work, and perhaps we'll meet again.
  5. Mar 1, 2015
    Fantastic ARPG, the only issue is some parts of the game is very grindy/time consuming in terms of repetition. ie: farming alts/jewels/fusing for 6L chest piece. Trading is very very very painful and I tend to stay self found/trade with friends, it sorely needs an Auction House. But for a free game, you can't be too pissed off with that! A major Act4 expansion will be arriving soon andFantastic ARPG, the only issue is some parts of the game is very grindy/time consuming in terms of repetition. ie: farming alts/jewels/fusing for 6L chest piece. Trading is very very very painful and I tend to stay self found/trade with friends, it sorely needs an Auction House. But for a free game, you can't be too pissed off with that! A major Act4 expansion will be arriving soon and I await this with glee! Expand
  6. Feb 13, 2015
    É um bom jogo, realmente da pra se diverte com muito prazer proporcionando muitas horas de pura diversão ao jogador, não mais que umas 20 hs, mas o jogo da o que falar, experimente e comprove, a unica coisa que infelizmente não tem no jogo, é o idioma Brasileiro, não precisaria dublagem, mas só a legenda. afinal nem todos falam inglês.
  7. Feb 9, 2015
    It's 2015, and I still play this game. True, I am not playing with the same intensity as I did back in 2013, but from time to time I allocate some time to finish a high level map with old characters.

Why ? It's fun, and playing the game on Hardcore (permanent death) gives you a feeling of pressure and attachment to your character. Others have said this is the spiritual successor of

Others have said this is the spiritual successor of Diablo 2. I do not agree. There are too many innovations and mechanics that are original and specific to PoE, that's hardly a D2 clone. The only things that can remind of you D2 are the graphics which are gloomy and less cartoonish than for example Torchlight and D3.

What I love about the game:

- The skill tree : in theory it's immense. Unfortunately you won't be able to pick everything you like, so in order for your build to be viable in the end game you will need to make "sacrifices" and "decisions", for example sometimes you need to sacrifice a little bit of your damage in order to increase your life.

- Items: There's a nice synergy between the items and the skills. Basically you can have builds that only work if you posses a specific Unique item(s). Also there are builds that can be augmented by possessing items with certain stats. So when you create your build you need to think in anticipation.

- Crafting: The game currency in the game are Orbs (there's no money in the game). Orbs can be used to augment your items: add new properties, increase the number of sockets in your items, etc.

- End game: This is one of the few RPGs that have a nice end-game: Maps. I won't explain in detail how Maps works, but trust me, they add a lof of content after you will finish all the chapters in the game.

There are a lot of things that make PoE shine, but I let you discover them.
  8. Jan 30, 2015
    Pros:
    + Many ways to build a character
    + Tons of available skills and items to build around + Some very complex and deep game mechanics not seen in other popular RPG titles + The gameplay is fun and gambling with RNG can be very addictive + Regular updates with new content, races and cool prizes + Free to play Cons: - Graphics and effects can feel a bit dated compared to some
    Pros:
    + Many ways to build a character
    + Tons of available skills and items to build around
    + The gameplay is fun and gambling with RNG can be very addictive
    + Regular updates with new content, races and cool prizes
    + Free to play

Cons:
    - Graphics and effects can feel a bit dated compared to some other RPGs
    - Don't expect a breathtaking storyline with interesting dialogues and character development. This game is about building a character and hacking through piles of brainless monsters as efficiently as possible.
    - Playing the same character gets boring after a while - once you acquire your end-game gear and level all your skills gems, there is not much left to do but farm maps and try to acquire more wealth.
    - The level of micro-management and skill that is required in the combat is comparatively low (exceptions are a few end-game bosses).
    - The RNG of drops or crafting luck can sometimes feel unfair
    - Desync problems can be very punishing for some people

The pros in my opinion outweigh the cons. Definitely a game you should try if you like old school hack and slash RPGs such as Diablo 2 and its various clones. For me it took 2 years of playing to finally get bored and move on to something else.
  9. Jan 27, 2015
    This is the best ARPG since Diablo II. This is actually the spiritual successor to D2, since Blizzard didn't bother to try with D3. The passive skill web is brilliant, the active skills are incredibly customizable, the game mechanics are rock solid. The only thing wrong with this game is the desync. Yeah, you'll die to some desync. Minus a quarter point for that, but that leaves this gameThis is the best ARPG since Diablo II. This is actually the spiritual successor to D2, since Blizzard didn't bother to try with D3. The passive skill web is brilliant, the active skills are incredibly customizable, the game mechanics are rock solid. The only thing wrong with this game is the desync. Yeah, you'll die to some desync. Minus a quarter point for that, but that leaves this game at a solid 10.75/10. Oh yeah, and it's free. Expand
  10. Jan 12, 2015
    A worthwhile ARPG, definitely worth trying if you're a fan of the genre.

Complex skill systems, lots of different builds to create, varied loot with different ways to upgrade items. You can even make health potion flasks with differing stats. There are races/ladders, a thriving economy with constant trading, and pvp. The devs update content and are engaged. POE can be difficult,
    A worthwhile ARPG, definitely worth trying if you're a fan of the genre.

POE can be difficult, you have to make correct decisions regarding your character build. If youre looking for an optimal character your first play through, you may want to read up on game mechanics and builds. Also, at some point you're probably going to have to do some trading if you want great gear.

Desync is unfortunately an issue. Occasionally the game client and the server don't communicate correctly. This did not effect me at all, for some people it's a legit hindrance.

It's free to play with a cash shop full of cosmetic stuff and frills. You can't pay for more powerful characters, or max level characters, or experience boosts, or any of that garbage. The game is not pay to win.

I played POE for a while and then moved on, but I may be back some day. It's a cool game from a small but dedicated team.
  11. Jan 5, 2015
    I'm a long time rpg and hacknslash gamer, and PoE is one of the best - it's what D3 shoulda and coulda been if ActiBlizz had done things right.

The game is free, and only need to spend money on 'fluff' if you choose to do so. The most impressive thing about the game is the skill tree. It's an information design work of art, imho. There are tons of skills to choose from, arranged in a

The most impressive thing about the game is the skill tree. It's an information design work of art, imho. There are tons of skills to choose from, arranged in a interconnected, weblike series of links. Because of this and a lack of class specific weapon and armor restrictions, you can customize your character anyway you like. You can have a heavily armored-bow wielding ranger, or a robe wearing warrior wielding a huge axe, and a minion-zombie army. It's all up to you.

Give this game a try, it's free to download!!
  12. Dec 27, 2014
    This game is simply an awesome find! It is the game you wanted diablo 3 to be! The skills tree is amazing! Make sure you play for an hour to get the feel of it. The skills tree offers so many possibilities and directions to take your character. Equipment is cool and the levels do not all look the same like diablo. I gave this game a 10 because if you like diablo style game this is the realThis game is simply an awesome find! It is the game you wanted diablo 3 to be! The skills tree is amazing! Make sure you play for an hour to get the feel of it. The skills tree offers so many possibilities and directions to take your character. Equipment is cool and the levels do not all look the same like diablo. I gave this game a 10 because if you like diablo style game this is the real deal. I would be embarrassed and ashamed if I were blizzard because these guys totally out did blizzard and blizzard is a big company. Some of the bosses are really powerful and a blast to try and bring down. To top it all off the game is awesome free! Expand
  13. Dec 14, 2014
    I spent with this game probably nearly 1000hours already and I must say it's best in genre right now. So short review:

Cons: - Server-client communication is one of the worst I've seen, there is desync issue and it's the first thing you need to learn, how to play around it and minimize it. Pros: - fair f2p (only cosmetic microtransactions) - advanced mechanics with huge passive tree

Pros: - fair f2p (only cosmetic microtransactions) - advanced mechanics with huge passive tree and skill gems with altering gems (called support gems) bring lots of builds and combinations so you always can play something new
    - a gameplay with learning curve, where you have to adapt to certain mobs and bosses by knowing mechanincs. Each mob has unique abilities as well as randomly added mods, so you can never be sure what you will encounter, you see mods of a mob - you need to instantly react accordingly.
    - end-game randomized difficulty zones (called maps with mods which increase difficulty, but also reward)
    - good seasons system (leagues and races)
    - frequent content updates (zones, events, skills, unique items)
    - interesting itemization, especially unique items which are very build defining in most cases.
    - interesting currency system (barter system) - it's currency and crafting tool at the same time
    - good crafting system after recent addition of forsaken masters.

Overall, desync is the only real issue, but can learn how to reduce it and make less frequent and you can enjoy depth of this game
  14. Dec 10, 2014
    Path of Exile is just how Diablo 3 would be if its original team would made it, accepting the lack of the offline mode and all what it implies (since play whenever you want to have mods), but neither Diablo 3 have it, right? The fact is that this game is best than Diablo 3 in each feature: dark gothic ambient with realistic adult graphics; a fair rewarding loot system; bigger and randomlyPath of Exile is just how Diablo 3 would be if its original team would made it, accepting the lack of the offline mode and all what it implies (since play whenever you want to have mods), but neither Diablo 3 have it, right? The fact is that this game is best than Diablo 3 in each feature: dark gothic ambient with realistic adult graphics; a fair rewarding loot system; bigger and randomly generated maps; 7 epic characters absurdly customizable by an endless constellation of passives and exchangeable actives; a worthy crafting system leading barter as the only economic system in which there is no money! To resume, each feature feels as the real evolution of Diablo 2 in straight opposite way from Diablo 3, all of this in a true free game... Are you still reading? Go for this masterpiece and if you like it buy some stupid cosmetic to contribute to a well thought ARPG! Expand
  15. Nov 28, 2014
    This game is very complex and customizable, which requires good planning and strategy. The more you play the more you find it enjoyable. You can play however you like, there is little to no restrictions your personal style, if you wan't to play an archer Witch, you can. If you want to make personal build, why not? A lots of new content updated every month. The developers of this game isThis game is very complex and customizable, which requires good planning and strategy. The more you play the more you find it enjoyable. You can play however you like, there is little to no restrictions your personal style, if you wan't to play an archer Witch, you can. If you want to make personal build, why not? A lots of new content updated every month. The developers of this game is very friendly and listens to the community closely. Do not let the learning curve/game mechanics hold you down! Expand
  16. Nov 25, 2014
    This is... a stunning game! Really. Great climate, fantastic graphic (yep, for me it is, cause it fits AWESOME this title) and a lot of stuff to learn, discover. The truly Diablo's 2 child. But with more complex skill tree, more complex items system... more complex everything! And with the same dark climate. Even darker than Diablo's one. I felt in love with this game and can't stop playing.
  17. Nov 24, 2014
    Path of Exile is clearly a labour of love. It's a wonderful game with some fresh ideas and good mechanics that breaths some more life into the traditional ARPG format.

It is similar to Diablo 3, Torchlight 2 and Titan Quest in general gameplay. All your standard things such as levelling up, loot, random levels and monster slaying are here. Where it differs from the aforementioned games is the skill and level-up system, which is an interesting change. As you level up, you gain passive skill points to spend on things such as damage, armour, critical chance etc.

You gain your active skills from a variety of different gems, which can be freely plopped into items you find - and taken out without a fuss. This allows you to quickly swap skills in and out - completely changing your play-style in a matter of seconds. These gems also level-up with you and become more powerful. You can create powerful combos by linking support gems with active skills to augment your favourites.

This balance between "permanent" passive skills and changeable active skills is actually really good and works well together. You can still build a character to exactly what you want - and the passive skill "tree" is absolutely huge.

Different classes start the game at different points in the skill tree, meaning they can gain access to abilities that suit them best earlier than other classes, but it also means, with a bit of work, you can turn pretty much any class in the game to do something different. It's unique and very well rounded.

As a free-to-play game, it's a must try for anyone that likes the format. It's a great game, made even better by being free to play. At no point does it feel like you *have* to pay to get the most out of it, like some other FTP games I have tried in the past.

Go on, give it a whirl, it's free!

Jimbo Rating: 7/10
  18. Nov 14, 2014
    I wish I could dish out 10's, but I can't.

In a perfect world I would be totally content with the content of this game. Of course I am not. But hey. Bluntly. There is no 10. People play a lot of games and they either enjoy them a great deal, or they do not. I have enjoyed this game for a better portion of a thousand hours. Path of Exile is, in all honesty, the Diablo 3 we were
    I wish I could dish out 10's, but I can't.

Path of Exile is, in all honesty, the Diablo 3 we were waiting for. It reinvigorates the whole genre by introducing a plethora, almost sickeningly a though through set, of game mechanics that will suck the player in to the wicked and, oh so twisted, world of Wraeclast.

The game introduces a marvelous blend of old and new, in a way that you would really expect on the basis of an older game such as Diablo 2.

However, the game is quite complicated to say the least, and it can prove to be fatal to a newcomer. But still we would not have it any other way. It is simply worth the time investment. The more you learn, the more you get into the gist of it.

I really cannot recall a day in the last two years where I did not at some point contemplate some cool build that I would really want to try out.

Do watch out. It is addictive and good.

One word: Bravo.
  19. Nov 8, 2014
    BEST ARPG ever made:
    1. Insane character development, can start with a witch ending with whatever you want according the path you decide trough a configurable active skills, support, and... look at that passive skill tree! Is a damned constellation!
    BEST ARPG ever made:
    2. Cleaver economy based on barter in which there is no such thing as inflation like the "gold base " economy in most games, you trade with currency that are useful to most things in game, so currency preserves it value.
    3. Useful craft: one of the few online games in which crafting is useful! Yes, you will be at maximum level and still using that nice armor you've crafted at very low level (that is what makes currency be worth).
    4. Useful common drops, same as described above: crafting made yellow items almost as useful as legendary even at higher levels.
    5. A fair learning difficulty curve that forces you to be constantly developing your character to progress. Even with high level characters "carrying you", can't beat the game without an idea of your goals.
    6. Not Pay 2 Win. Unlike most "so called F2P" games, this is 100% free and 24 characters per account. With micro transactions you'll be able to buy only aesthetical complements or more space to inventory.
    7. The deeper environment in the straight line with Diablo 2. You will feel fear in one occasion, guaranteed.

Except for one point:
    8. The only whim I have is that is only online. This game would be awesome offline to play without lag and even better to have mods...

So this game is ALMOST perfect, only the unfair "DRM online MMO system" is why I can't give it a 10, I cannot fully enjoy a game that I don't own, for example, servers of Sacred, Dungeon Siege or Titan Quest was shutdown long ago but I still playing those incredibly ARPGs and with mods! I don't know how much this game would be available and that bothers me in direct proportion to what I like it...
  20. Nov 8, 2014
    A true isometric RPG. Fans of the Diablo series will find much to like in Path of Exile (PoE). A vast skill tree, unique armors and weapons, a great gem system, and the ability to play without paying.... all combine to make this a great game. Stop reading this review and go download PoE now.
  21. Nov 3, 2014
    This game has average graphic, average sound quite bad story and GODLY gameplay.
    By that I mean that the gameplay is SO good that you forget anything about story, graphic or anything else.

The game takes diablo 2 key features and expands them creating a unique gameplay with almost infinite possibilities. The setting (world, skill, characters) is dark and scary and this, combined with the actual fear of dying, gives a unique experience.

Sadly desync is "part of the game", you have to take desync in consideration while slashing mob hordes because if you don't, you probably end up dead.
    Graphic is not an eye candy like most commercial games but I won't say there's any impact on enjoyment.
    About game's music I have to say only a few background music themes are good, most of them are not really enjoyable (unlike Diablo II for example). I wrote myself an utility that replaces most game's musics with Diablo I / Diablo II ones and it was awesome, almost another game.

Finally, the game is free to play and not pay to win, there are no boost microtransactions, only visual effects. Game support is fast and precise.

So, just be careful, this game is addicting, a lot.
  22. Oct 29, 2014
    There are too many things that ruin the game:

1.Trading: No trading system, items are offered via trade chat (about 100 per minute). Impossible to compare offers for a single item you are looking for. Furthermore, about 95% of these items are pure junk and overpriced. 2. Leveling: Leveling up a character becomes boring if you have to repeat the same areas 3 times before you
    There are too many things that ruin the game:

1.Trading:

2. Leveling:

Leveling up a character becomes boring if you have to repeat the same areas 3 times before you attempt what they call "end-game content".

3. End game and rewards:

That is running maps (with map levels from 66 up to 79) with a Bossmonster at the end of the map.That looks fine because we all know that Bossmonsters hold special rewards like cool Uniques or currency or even more maps. In fact, they drop crap. I ran lvl 77-78 maps with a guildmate who had an 400% increased chance to get rarer items for almost a week and got nothing valuable.

4. Partying:

see performance and technical issues

5. Performance and technical issues:

There are too many things ruining gameplay and have not been adressed as of now, one of the worst is desync. Loosing hours of playtime you have spend because your character dies and suffers a 10% XP penalty becaus the servers loose the exact position of your character and sends you back to a place where you had been a few seconds before isn't really fun. The official game forum is full of players complaining exactly this. And now, something funny: GGG declares this as a feature to prevent cheating.

Partying sounds like fun, if you like dia-shows.Too many skills and character builds cause even high-end computers to drop down to a few frames when playing in a group.
    The last mini expansion "The Forsaken Masters" made it even worse.With this expansion players can have their own personal hideout, a place to rest or sort things in your stash, nothing special because this hideout is only a small tileset with a few objects like bricks or a wall or a few trees. Guess what happens to your framerate when entering your or other players hideout? But hey........you can
    decorate your personal hideout with hundreds of objects (of course you can buy them from GGG, but there are also free ones)....guess again what happens to your framerate and loading time ?
    I forgot weather effects. Yes, weather effects have been implemented to more and more areas over the last months although many players complain about framedrops in these areas.Instead of adding a chance to turn weather effects off via the options menue, they add even more.
    Opening the box....surprise, surprise......whats in the box? While running around you may find kind of a chest box, called strongbox.Introduced in the "Ambush league" a few months ago, you'll get ambushed by monsters when opening these boxes.Sounds funny, but.............many computers freeze for 1-2 secs while the game is loading the monsters. Click the Resurrect button and take the 10% XP penalty.

All in all this game is an ambitious project, but GGG failed in too many aspects.
  23. Oct 16, 2014
    Quite a good, enjoyable game. Fun for a while. But like with usual hack and slash games, I got bored with it after a while, just feels a bit too repetitive and only about loot and not much else.
  24. Oct 2, 2014
    There have been ARPGs that charge a full retail price of $40 that don't come close to the quality of Path of Exile. If you like Diablo and other Hack n Slashers, look no further. I honestly would vote this as the closest competitor to Diablo since Diablo's release.
  25. Sep 29, 2014
    looks realy old, and should have offline mode, skilltree is little to big, they could have moved str int dex somevhere else, i would recomend titan quest, dablo 3, grim dawn and torchlight
  26. Sep 21, 2014
    Purely luck based.

Purely luck based.

POE is the "unofficial successor" to the eminently respectable Diablo 2. And while it has inherited some good points it also inherited all the bad things. To bring it to the point: This game is completely luck based. Player Skill and the skilling itself (called passives here) are more or less irrelevant compared to the items. In this game you have to find the right items, the right number of sockets in these items, the right color of sockets, the right skills and so on. If you run out of luck on just one of these you hit a wall at lvl 50 that you cant pass.
    Of course in order to give the player a chance you can use "orbs" to change the properties of an item, but that is also purely luck based. You can use one orb to get the desired result, or you can use 1000. I wanted to change the number of sockets on one item in order to use a skill with the needed amount of linked support skills. For that I used up ALL orbs I found in the game so far (like 50 hours) and I didnt get one step closer to the needed amount of sockets (wanted to change it from 3 to at least 4, never got more than 3 even though up to 6 are possible).
    Like in Diablo 2 the good items are only possible to find in areas where you wont be able to get without having luck in the first place, which turns this game into a stupid grind game (half of the party lobbies are farming lobbies with people running around in the same area for hours cause they cant continue the real game without a lucky drop). that may have been ok 12 years ago (in Diablo 2), but today thats just bad. Therefore this game is only for die hard fans of Diablo 2, who want to get the same game with better graphics. Those who want to play a game thats "up to date" should play Torchlight II instead.
  27. Sep 17, 2014
    Great game. Fresh new ideas for the ARPG genre, lots of game play. Grinding gear Games seems to listen to the player community, and the development is very active. Racing and season rewards are great.

Its too good for a F2P game. But it is not completely perfect. There are some lag and desync issues still.
  28. Sep 13, 2014
    Probably the best free game ever produced, definitely the best free game I've played. It is also in the top-tier as far as Action-RPG or Hack n Slash titles go along with the Diablo franchise, Torchlight, and Sacred.
  29. Sep 9, 2014
    This game is a better successor to D2 than D3 was.

Pros: The bartering-currency system, interesting skill tree, free to play, not pay to win, lots of new content every ~6 months.
    Cons: Horrible desyncing issues, poorly optimized
  30. Sep 3, 2014
    Infuriating. Monsters posi-glitch all the time. Impossible to play seriously unless you have very good ping. Once you finish the three difficulties and begin maps, you'll just be playing the crafting and trading game. Maps aren't made to level in and all the rares you find will be useless. It's at this point the game stops being remotely fun and is more of a chore. If you're not tanky itInfuriating. Monsters posi-glitch all the time. Impossible to play seriously unless you have very good ping. Once you finish the three difficulties and begin maps, you'll just be playing the crafting and trading game. Maps aren't made to level in and all the rares you find will be useless. It's at this point the game stops being remotely fun and is more of a chore. If you're not tanky it requires constant focus for PvM with no rewards. PoE suffers from the exact same problems it did the last time I played and the same things made me quit again. Expand
  31. Aug 25, 2014
    I tried to like it, I really did. But; the game play is clumsy, the graphics are painful, I do not enjoy spamming 1 spell over and over, most of the skill tree is useless, the lag/desync is outrageous... I am all about liking the concept, but this was poorly done.

I realize that there is a fan base that holds this game as the true sequel to Diablo 2. I whole heartedly disagree. I think Diablo 2 is vastly superior in every way except graphics.

I wish I could actually find another Diablo 2. Diablo 3, while fun- falls short of the mark. It's more of an action game. And PoE was just a painful experience. Maybe call it PoS?
  32. Aug 15, 2014
    One of the best games I ever played. This have has everything that diablo 3 didn't have. Starting from huge passive tree there you can build your character in any way you want , interesting and unique currency system and finishing with end game content which is by the way most awsome thing I ever seen.
  33. Jul 19, 2014
    If you're a fan of ARPGs like me then you'll really enjoy this game. The game mechanics, leveling system, passive tree, and gem system is a huge breath of fresh air. The only thing I'm still getting used to is the currency system, but that comes with time, and a couple of YouTube videos, I guess. I'm glad the story has a gap (film term) because I really feel like I've been exiled and IIf you're a fan of ARPGs like me then you'll really enjoy this game. The game mechanics, leveling system, passive tree, and gem system is a huge breath of fresh air. The only thing I'm still getting used to is the currency system, but that comes with time, and a couple of YouTube videos, I guess. I'm glad the story has a gap (film term) because I really feel like I've been exiled and I have no idea what's going on. The story is not predictable for me. Graphics and music are awesome - diggin' the grittiness. Also, I think this is the only free to play I've actually enjoyed. I feel bad this is free because it's really good.

If you grew up with Diablo 1, 2, and LOD then I highly recommend this to you. Diablo 3 didn't really do anything for me after a few hours into it. The other ARPG you should play is Torchlight 2 (230 hours) - probably my favorite. Happy clicking!
  34. Jul 19, 2014
    Path of Exile along with DotA 2 are the best F2P games I've ever played. Content-wise there's really nothing to complain about.
    As an ARPG, it isn't as fluid and beautiful as Diablo 3 - but it has that oldschool feeling and gameplay that facilitates user interaction, very similar to Diablo 2.

The complaints I have about this game would be that it's somewhat rigid, unstable difficulty scaling and that the current desync problems make it a game unfit for Hardcore or certain builds.
  35. Jul 18, 2014
    I've logged about 200 hours with this game and gotten couple characters to final stages of merciless difficulty, and had mostly a good time.

The game picks up slow at the start, but quickly gets going. You smash foes collect loot, and develop your character. The character development is unforgiving, forcing you to think what skills to pick, a glass cannon with massive dps might sound

The character development is unforgiving, forcing you to think what skills to pick, a glass cannon with massive dps might sound cool and it will even work on normal and up to cruel difficulty levels, but beyond that it will be very hard to be advancing with such a build, so if you want to go the distance you have to sacrifice dps in favour of survivability. This is all very good in my opinion and for new players there is no need to be afraid of the massive skill tree, you'll be navigating it in no time.

The journey up to about mid merciless difficulty is a lot of fun, and can be done by most build with self gearing. At about lvl 65+ is where the grind starts to set it and the game becomes very much an elitist affair.

Because there are so many mods on a given piece of equipment, a good combination of these is very rare, and you need good equipment to be doing merciless difficulty without too much frustration. So there really two choices, grind the same map over, and over and over again, in hopes that one of those rares that drop are actually worth anything, or sell your soul and trade for some gear with other players.

I like steady progression with these kinds of games and there is literally an artificial block put in place in Path of Exile. One of my character is doing Piety and Dominus runs because they are the best bosses for low tear end game gear, but those are same bosses on the same maps populated by the same monsters. And after doing this for a week, with xp bar craaaaaawling slowly forward I must say the game got really boring.

XP bar crawls forward a bit faster in maps, which are random areas with high lvl monsters, but even there, there is only so much to see and do. While Grindin Gear Games doesn't charge you to play the game, most other players at high levels will, for allowing you the privilege of joining them on a high lvl map run.

Well to make long story short the game stops being fun at later stages, but definitely worth playing though. Oh and if you are playing for any significant amount of time, remember the game is free, but devs definitely deserve a reward for making a good game, don't be a cheap skate, spend some cash in their "cosmetic stuff only" shop.
  36. Jun 6, 2014
    With tons of ARPGs active these days it can be difficult to stand out, but Grinding Gear Games does a very good job in making a unique play experience.

The Positive: A bartering currency system that doubles as a crafting system is a great idea. Vendors can be used to set a maximum/minimum value of currency exchange. (if you can vendor 1X for 2Y then Y isn't ever going to inflate higher

The Positive:
    A bartering currency system that doubles as a crafting system is a great idea. Vendors can be used to set a maximum/minimum value of currency exchange. (if you can vendor 1X for 2Y then Y isn't ever going to inflate higher then X) I for one never really like the idea of digital "gold/platinum/credits/gems/etc", if you aren't a trader then you just need them to fill currency sinks and it can feel grind-y without adding anything to game play. Adding a value to the currency beyond what an NPC or Player will give you for it makes spending or using it a more meaningful interaction.

New 4 month leagues with different rule sets for standard and hardcore always bring back players and keep things interesting. In addition to testing new features and additions to be added to permanent leagues.

Races are a very unique and fun take on the traditional ladder system, often vastly changing the play experience and offering some nice rewards for people willing to put in the effort.

The amount of customization for builds and skill choices is simply unrivaled. There are some builds that are more popular/easier to use and not everything is suited well to endgame content. But there is absolutely no one who has "done it all"

The Negative:
    Due to the developers preference in game play mechanics the net code suffers a bit. Stuttering and de-syncing are common enough its not unusual for most players to use a /OOS (Out Of Sync) macro to make sure the play experience isn't interrupted by a disagreement between client and server, which could potentially endanger hundreds of hours of hard work on a hardcore character.

Races as mentioned are a super fun experience I would recommend anyone who wishes to play this game try at some point, but sometimes are few and far between. Especially if you wish to participate in a particular rule set that doesn't make the rotation as often. Hopefully this will be alleviated somewhat when they introduce player run "paid" custom leagues.

New players are often overwhelmed with decisions on how to build their character. The community has done a lot to alleviate this with build forums, dedicated build websites, and even GGG having a build of the week segment. Ultimately though, this isn't a game you can fully enjoy as a fresh player by sitting down and throwing skill points around willy-nilly. You have to be willing to sacrifice several characters of trial and error to see what is viable or put in the time to research a build before hand (Which I would recommend)

A lot of people experience burn out after creating many characters and playing through the story several times. It isn't an issue for everybody, I had experienced this somewhat after rolling nearly 30 characters and getting some into map content (endgame). I will say that new content like in Ambush with strongboxes guarded by more enemies but containing valuable loot (some times) and Invasion with its increased mob variety and extra hard additional bosses on every map certainly did a lot to fix that issue for me. They also had a charity race which included both and many people actually had so much fun doing it the regular game became boring when it ended and they are waiting for the new 4 month leagues to start.
  37. May 30, 2014
    Great, deep action RPG marred by netcode issues. Pure free to play without any pay to win elements, and race and league events serve both as a testing ground for new features and a way to keep the game fresh. Well worth checking out.
  38. May 23, 2014
    This game is focused on too much to be like D2 in artstyle and character builds, it just lacks fun.
    Embeding skills into gear is just a ridiculous idea.
    Giant skill tree seems good at first but lose your way in midway and you have to go get some help from community at some point. There are no ragdoll physics or anything, and animations are a little bit rough around the edges. But it's
    Embeding skills into gear is just a ridiculous idea.
    There are no ragdoll physics or anything, and animations are a little bit rough around the edges. But it's acceptable for a f2p game I guess.

I couldn't finish the game, it just got too boring.
  39. May 21, 2014
    What I was most surprised about, and the reason I tried the gam, is the completely honest and ethical item store. There is no way to gain an advantage over other players with money in this game nor will it help you finish the game faster (with the possible exception of the shared guild stash although it does not directly influence gameplay). The publisher and developer have chosen to putWhat I was most surprised about, and the reason I tried the gam, is the completely honest and ethical item store. There is no way to gain an advantage over other players with money in this game nor will it help you finish the game faster (with the possible exception of the shared guild stash although it does not directly influence gameplay). The publisher and developer have chosen to put gameplay and the gamer above corporate greed and that alone should make you want to try the game out.

Path of Exile is a Diablo 2 clone through and through and iIf you played Diablo 2, you'll no doubt get a familiar feeling while playing PoE. The story line isn't half as epic but all the dialogue is spoken and the game never burrows you in lore.

The difference lies mostly in the way skills are handled. You gain "active" skills by finding gem stones and inserting these in your equipment. You can unequip these skills and they level up by slaying enemies. Even skills that aren't used, increase in power as long as they are equipped.

There is also a passive skill tree which mostly influences statistics and the way certain skills handle. If you go for a summoner-class character, you can spend points on increasing the pool of minions that you can march around with but most passive skills influence health, mana, attack speed and other statistics.

All passive (and active) skills are usable by every character in the game but each character starts at a different point in the passive skill tree which means that certain classes have quicker access to certain passive skills than others.

Other than that most elements found in Diablo 2 make an appearance in Path of Exile. You can form a party with up to 6 other players and there is a loot system that allows for some flexibility when it comes to assigning items.

When you die in hardcore mode, you are demoted to the softcore league. There is no corpse to loot.
    PVP should not kill you in hardcore mode but I have yet to verify this.

Grinding is made easy in this game because holding control and clicking on a location on the map resets the instance completely,

If Diablo 3 let you down and you're looking for your Diablo 2 fix without actually playing Diablo 2, PoE is an excellent choice and for the price of zero dollars you can't really feel cheated should you decide to not enjoy it.
  40. May 19, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Don't fall for this game's tricks! When you first start playing, it seems awesome because you're fighting skeletons on a scary beach. The monsters are something you can relate to, and the environment is well-themed. Lightning, dark caves, skeletons, and ghosts await you at every turn. But by Act 3 that experience dissipates into a mockery of what the game built its roots on.

You end up fighting fire beetles. Yes, tons and tons of beetles, and the Act 2 end boss amounts to a giant can-opener or something ridiculous. Then instead of cool, classic monsters, you'll be fighting ribbons. Yes, I said ribbons. And these weird, ridiculous monsters that don't use their claws on you, but try to leg-sweep you for reasons unknown, like some sort of mentally challenged ninja.

Also, the maps in Act 3 become horrifically boring and way over-sized, so you'll have to spend hours upon hours just finding way-points unless you don't want to save your progress. I played with a friend of mine and we raved about how great the game was at first, but Act 3 destroyed the entire experience and we quit playing it. It was a depressing letdown and I felt like crying.
  41. May 11, 2014
    This game has poor optimization, it's laggy, outdated graphics for a 2013 product and on top of that isn't fun, stopped playing after a little time.
    Five points only because it is "free" (microtransactions inside).
  42. May 4, 2014
    La verdad no soy un amante de los rpg pero este juego me a gustado muchisimo Unos graficos bastante buenos una jugabilidad tambien muy buena personalizacion de personajes y ese pequeño toque de mundo abierto que tiene lo hace muy bueno Ami me gusto mucho.
  43. Apr 30, 2014
    I installed this game building new comp for my friend, and as I played games for last 30 years, its just biggest disappointment. This game is boring, I needed couple of cups of coffee to carry on playing, and I will never return to this game again. Diablo 2 is excellent game, Torchlight 2 is great, Diablo 3 has its flaws but this????
    As I played witch game relies on spamming your
    As I played witch game relies on spamming your skills...no cooldowns and checking your mana stat.
    I have to give some credit to guys from New Zealand for their passion to make this game but definitely "this is not Diablo 2" successor its just boring game as hell
  44. Apr 22, 2014
    This is a diablo-like, but this is not definitely not Diablo, the combat are so slowww, i feel like hitting a piece of butter with a plastic fork. the graphics are ugly...some people will say "it's dark, not like diablo", well it's not dark for me, it's ugly, everything is static, nothing lives in this game.
  45. Apr 18, 2014
    Game is fun for a couple of weeks, but like a lot of these games suffers from bad loot, incoherent nerfs, meaningless stats, bad scaling, useless dodge/defense mechanics and extremely limited game-play. There is no trading system. Pretty clear the developer is lost with this one.
  46. Apr 15, 2014
    I absolutely love the skill tree aspect of the game which gives it incredible individuality, yet as i play more and more it feels lacking in attachment, that may just be me. Yet for someone looking for a game that is free to play and great for an RPG fix this is for you.
  47. Apr 14, 2014
    PoE is really what I expected as a successor to Diablo 2. The game is a bit late to the scene and did not have enough advertisement to make it what it should/could have been. However it is amazing in it's own right.
    Things it does right:
    - Story line (The story line is complex and gives the character motivation for moving place to place) - Intuitive design (it is very similar to most of
    Things it does right:
    - Intuitive design (it is very similar to most of the games in it's genre including the popular Diablo line)
    - Skill tree (There is only one skill tree, each class begins at a different place, and there are many many choices and paths to take)

Things I'm not content with:
    -the trade system (it is not coin based, each item is worth a type of base magic item [ident. scrolls, teleport scrolls etc.] and items are purchased from the vendor in the same sort of barter, it makes it difficult to flat purchase items and limits trade considerably, but this may have been their intent)
    -The Grouping System (I feel it is a little clunky but if more players were to use it, it would be manageable, but the player base is not what it could have been)
  48. Apr 5, 2014
    I remember the days when I used to play a variety of games, this abruptly stopped when I really got into POE. I have spent a great deal of time with this game, thousands of hours I am sure, and even though it has flaws(some that make you want to break things at times), it is still the most addictive game I have ever played. You can view my profile to see my gaming history, I feel myI remember the days when I used to play a variety of games, this abruptly stopped when I really got into POE. I have spent a great deal of time with this game, thousands of hours I am sure, and even though it has flaws(some that make you want to break things at times), it is still the most addictive game I have ever played. You can view my profile to see my gaming history, I feel my opinion here is pretty valid. I can't really explain the depth with PoE, you will have to play it for a while to experience it, but this is definitely a game for hardcore gamers in the ARPG field. The way items drop, how the economy works, and crafting, all make for a wonderfully challenging and time consuming experience. The skill tree is of course incredible and the amount of builds are endless.

This is the first 10 I have given in a long time but I do feel it is necessary to say that this game is not perfect. I give it a 10 because although it is not perfect, the amount of entertainment (play time) I have received is beyond any other game and it has all been for free. In the future I hope to see improvements with the servers in general, including lag, disconnections, and desync. There also needs to be more end-game content, I have consistently ranked in the top 20 on ladder seasons but grinding the same four maps is getting a little stale ;x

All-in-all though if you are an ARPG or Diablo fan this game is a must try!!!!!! Collapse
  49. Apr 5, 2014
    Path of Exile combines lush atmospheres and an original setting with deep mechanics for character customization and solid, satisfying ARPG gameplay. It is a title of so-called AAA quality that is completely free to play and lacking in any pay-to-win elements. Grinding Gear Games regularly adds new content patches, and runs daily 'race' league events that provide additional variety andPath of Exile combines lush atmospheres and an original setting with deep mechanics for character customization and solid, satisfying ARPG gameplay. It is a title of so-called AAA quality that is completely free to play and lacking in any pay-to-win elements. Grinding Gear Games regularly adds new content patches, and runs daily 'race' league events that provide additional variety and challenge. The sprawling tree of passive character upgrades allows for robust development of different playstyles, and the skill gem system lets players effectively tweak and craft their own skills and spells. The game is only marred by the occasional occurrence of 'out of sync,' a lag-like problem that pops up when players or enemies begin spamming movement skills. While mildly annoying, it's generally infrequent enough not to be a problem. Expand
  50. Apr 5, 2014
    This game is a pretty good hack and slash game and gives players a good single player and multiplayer experience. However, I do not think this game is to be considered the best hack and slash game. The customization is deep, and the dark, moody setting gives it a "Diablo" feel to it. Oh and lets not forget, ITS FREE TO PLAY.
  51. Apr 4, 2014
    I really don't know which part of game I need to start, cause whole game is outstanding. Replayability, variativity, mix of planning and gambling-like hopes that next item would be treasure for you. Brilliant solution for trading with currency items instead of gold which lose value from start of servers.
    After all it's hardcore and oldschool. Instead of buying DLCs you need to play, to open additional character. Yeah, no expirience boosters and other crap in f2p shop. Only way to success in game - play it! You just can't find other game like this nowadays.
  52. Mar 30, 2014
    Best ARPG there is at the moment, only negative points would be the story if you are into this ( i dont care at all in an ARPG) and there are some desync issues, but you can work around them most of the time if you know what you are doing
  53. Mar 27, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Poe is classic "diablo game".Even its lack atmosphere from D1 it still offers a good game experience lets say differently.I have to admit developers for progressive aproach to the game. Well its not like starcraft 1 and 2 - u dont give new units graphics and thats it .. Sure its diablo clone - but with some new brave ideas, new gameplay systems.. lets see pluses and minuses of the game

+ Character customization it was never so complex in any other diablo clone game - skill three is so huge u will **** bricks and is biggest in diablo clone games so far.
    + Skills as gems this system is really revolutionary you can create your own skills - with complex skill tree that`s really kick-ass!
    + Currency system and crafting with orbs
    + it`s free completely
    + Constant updates from game developers side
    + Race modes where u can compete with other players usualy who gets faster experience

- Desinc problem , well this is one of big issues of the game, you can die easy because of this lag and thats big problem for players who want to play hardcore mode
    - Leveling skills dosent feel rewarding especialy for weapon skills
    - Monsters dosent have a personality usualy u see them as hit points to get rid off no special tactics is needed maybe little on highier difficulties.Also u have to face skelletons just with more hit points and damage even in act 3, well thats quite bad cause u want that feeling what will be there when beat boss at end of act 2 and u see skeletons hmm...
    - 3 dificulty settings - well i know its diablo clone but cmon this is not the best way to increase game length i hoped for something better with such progressive atitude
  54. Mar 25, 2014
    this game is free to play so i gave it a try after being disappointed with diablo 3. I like the fact that it has a very complicated skill tree and it is really fun especially when you play with party members. Only downside is that there is a 1 second delay sometimes and it gets really annoying.
  55. Sok
    Mar 23, 2014
    Very solid ARPG with a complicated skill tree that has no limits. Want a Ranger with a 2 handed sword? Want a Marauder with a bow? Go ahead! This game is free & not pay to win. I think that alone is a win win.
  56. Mar 20, 2014
    POE é um dos melhores RPG de ação que já joguei. No melhor estilo de Diablo, são horas de jogo em um mundo sombrio e macabro que ainda é possivel jogar com os amigos ou com qualquer pessoa do mundo.
  57. Mar 20, 2014
    If you are a Diablo fan, this is your holy grail. If you are after more of an RPG, this is your grave. This is a standard ARPG (which I pretty rather like to call as "Character Building Game" instead) with one of the deepest character building system ever. That's just about where all the fun is. There is next to no story, no choice but a linear world through which you senselessly killIf you are a Diablo fan, this is your holy grail. If you are after more of an RPG, this is your grave. This is a standard ARPG (which I pretty rather like to call as "Character Building Game" instead) with one of the deepest character building system ever. That's just about where all the fun is. There is next to no story, no choice but a linear world through which you senselessly kill everything that moves regardless of what it actually is and how it actually fights. All monsters are really just hollow graphics that are nothing more than target practise for your character and your character is just another souless look-alike with no customizable face so everyone of the same class looks the same... clones everywhere. I would like to give it a 6 rather than a 7 but the fact that it is a good representation of a arpg, I won't pull it down that much. All in all, they should have given such a deep character building game more soul. Expand
  58. Mar 20, 2014
    POE is Epic, Actually Best Action RPG. And it's for 100% TRUE free.
    IF you stay 10-20 minutes thinking about your abilities and equipment before continue you have a game that's not only hack and slash but a REAL RPG.
    Lot of abilities and it's always your decision. (If you haven't done..look "POE skill tree") Supported, big, deeper and with a solid community. Lot of equipment, no
    POE is Epic, Actually Best Action RPG. And it's for 100% TRUE free.

Lot of abilities and it's always your decision.
    (If you haven't done..look "POE skill tree")
    Supported, big, deeper and with a solid community.
    Lot of equipment, no gold only exchange.
    Big and difficult enough. (Random areas and dungeon)
    Graphic is good, something real style not cartoon.

If you wanna a RPG game where you have to think, this is the game.

In a Generation of games made only for profit someone give us a Real Game for gamers.
  59. Mar 10, 2014
    I'm so fully committed to Path of Exile that I've spent a bit of coin myself, and my witch is only one of many wayfarers I intend to guide through Wraeclast. Many mysteries still await me, even in the savage regions I've already charted.
  60. Mar 9, 2014
    This game is boring. No, i mean REALLY BORING. The only reason people play it, is to say "im not diablo3 fanboy, look i play better game". Ah and its free, schoolboys like to grind not work to buy game.
    But meanwhile there is no game at all. Only excel skill planing. Gameplay is boring rightclick like 1000 times before.
    The plot sometimes interesting, but can you write down any NPC name
    The plot sometimes interesting, but can you write down any NPC name after you finish it? Nope.

How fanboy see it: thousand builds
    In real world: 3.5 actual builds, other is weak and unplayable / playable only with gear grinded 500 hours.

How fanboy see it: SOOOO MUCH PASIVESS!!!!
    In real world: 99% of nodes are same as "put 5 points in str/agi/int after lvlup".

How fanboy see it: free game, no pay to win, no money auction
    In real world: bots in every league, black market = same money auction but some people dont know / dont wanna use it

etc. etc. etc.

Overrated game. 4.
  61. Mar 3, 2014
    Path of Exile is an excellent game and I make that statement at 100+ hours played. It isn't without its flaws, so the bad news first:

-I've had a few issues with de-sync, but it isn't so consistent to detract from the game. -There's also a bit of a learning curve figuring out the skill tree and currency system, but I honestly enjoy that in a game. Though to some this is a big

-There's also a bit of a learning curve figuring out the skill tree and currency system, but I honestly enjoy that in a game. Though to some this is a big detractor.

-The game is also for all intents and purposes a clone of Diablo. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but a redesign of the health/mana globes and potion belt are long overdue.

-This is a grind for gear game just like all the other titles in the genre, so don't expect it to break the mold in that respect.

Now for the good news.

+It's completely free. No catch. No advertisements, no pay to win, no trial run. This should be THE model that free games follow. You can show your support for the game by purchasing weapon particle effects, non-combat pets, and alternate spell animations from the website. There's also supporter packs that give you real world goods like hats and shirts.

+The leagues and ladders are an interesting way to keep the game fresh. Joining a league server means you're entering a fresh game economy. Each league also adds different challenges for the player to overcome.

+I also really enjoy the twist on game mechanics. The skill tree, refilling potions, and the use of skill gems are all interesting variations on the style.

+Though story always takes a backseat in this type of game, there is one being told. It's nothing earth shattering, but I've enjoyed the pieces of story put into the game. I also love the voice actors for the game.
  62. Mar 3, 2014
    I can't say enough about how good this game is. I love how the passive talent point system works to diversify your character from other players and how according to what gems you slot bases what abilities you have. I'm an old Diablo fan boy myself and Diablo 3 was some what of a let down for me. That's why I'm glad I discovered this title it actually does what D3 was supposed to do.I can't say enough about how good this game is. I love how the passive talent point system works to diversify your character from other players and how according to what gems you slot bases what abilities you have. I'm an old Diablo fan boy myself and Diablo 3 was some what of a let down for me. That's why I'm glad I discovered this title it actually does what D3 was supposed to do. For those seeking a challenge it has plenty. For those who like it casual it has that too. All things you purchase on the Market are mostly cosmetic character effect and vanity pets. This will be one of the best games you've ever downloaded and it won't cost you a Dime to play. I have yet to buy anything myself but as much as I love it that'll probably change. Expand
  63. Feb 26, 2014
    What d3 should have been.. and it's free.

What d3 should have been.. and it's free.

Exile is but a beautifully crafted story that is compelling and immersive embellished with intriguing and well crafted dialogue. Appreciatively on my part, you'll find no irrelevant "go fetch 20 carrots" or "fritter away 5 minutes of your life by running between locations to collect bottles of goo" for no apparent reason quests we've become accustomed to from our RPG dosage. Instead, each mission is both thoughtful and purposeful, and drives along the story at a gratifyingly pace.

The gameplay mechanics are somewhat innovative especially in terms of character development and offer a grand scope of possibilities. The music compliments to it's eerie atmosphere.

My only qualm with Path of Exile is the fleetness of its existence, that leaves you pining for just a little bit more. Perhaps though this is the best legacy for what is a good solid and memorable RPG.
  64. Feb 23, 2014
    Pros:
    1. Best itemization of any ARPG. Hands down.
    2. Build diversity is incredible 3. The game is very deep and complicated which leads to really rewarding decisions and tons of diversity and excitement 4. FREE 5. Currency/crafting system is very innovative and fun 6. Endgame is very varied and as fun as an ARPG's endgame can be. 7. Developers are seriously amazing. This
    Pros:
    1. Best itemization of any ARPG. Hands down.
    2. Build diversity is incredible
    4. FREE
    5. Currency/crafting system is very innovative and fun
    6. Endgame is very varied and as fun as an ARPG's endgame can be.
    7. Developers are seriously amazing. This point can not be stressed enough. They often speak directly to the playerbase. They are very transparent with their goals, are very open to feedback, and work with the community as a team better than any other game that I've seen.
    8. Ethical microtransactions, no pay to win.
    9. Very fun combat, especially in the late game.
    10. Replayability is very high due to the build diversity and RNG.
    11. Game rewards players for having a high level of knowledge and strategy. Learning and applying the mechanics and strategy can be very rewarding.
    12. Community is really helpful and there are tons of community created tools and guides.
    13. Atmosphere is very dark and fits the hardcore vibe of the game. You don't rush out of the game screaming and killing everything. You have to work your way up in a world that is out to kill you.
    13. Changes and new feature come so often that the game never gets stale. Things are always being added, tweaked and perfected. Just when you thought the game couldn't get better, another big patch comes and reinvigorates your passion for the game. The 4 month leagues add tons of replayability and allows for the game to not grow stale and get dissected min-maxed to tedium.

Cons:
    1. Desync. It's not always noticeable or a big deal but when it is a big deal it will kill you if you do not do something fast. Developers are constantly combating it but it is one of the big flaws of the game
    2. Early game can be a little boring combat-wise. Skills are augmented by support gems and that is when combat get's more fun. In the early game without support gems most skills can be kind of underwhelming. There is something to be said for the atmosphere of the game being but that doesn't mean that GGG couldn't do something to make the early game more exciting.
    3. Pretty damn complicated. Your first character will probably fail, especially if you don't read any tips about how to build your skill tree.
    4. Since trading is a big part of the game, people who prefer to play self-found will have a pretty hard time. I find trading rewarding but not everyone feels that way. You can meet some really cool people when trading and people will give you stuff for really good deals or for free sometimes. Other times a trading partner might be really un-ideal and will piss you off.
    5. It's a hardcore game. This can be good or bad depending on who you are. If you don't want to invest time and thought into a game and you don't want to learn how to trade then you aren't going to experience a lot of the most fun parts of the game imo.

Overall this is the best ARPG on the market. It is a harcore game made by hardcore gamers. The developers are amazing. The community is great. The gameplay is deep and exciting. The loot is sexy. You can get lost in the breadth of this game and it only keeps getting better.
  65. Feb 19, 2014
    I consider this far and away the best game ever made, I will try give some insight into how this has come to be an opinion I would defend to the death.

I consider hardcore to be the only real way to play the game and cannot recommend strongly enough playing in the current 4 month leagues. The standard and hardcore leagues are essentially dumping grounds for old characters and gear, a showcase for old legacy items but not a good reflection the current state of the game. If you only play the standard league you are missing out on all the best features. This is to start from scratch, beg barter and steal your way to power, and do so without a single death or a stash full of currency earned over the months, start from scratch leave the competitors in the dust.

Firstly, it is a game made FOR hardcore PC gamers looking for an ultra deep, ultra challenging game made BY hardcore PC gamers looking for an ultra deep, ultra challenging game. The game here is the game that the developers dream of playing, it is not made to shift units, pump micro transactions or attract a crowd of COD kiddys following their favourite youtube personality. It is made to fill a void that has existed for a very long time, if not forever, in the serious PC gaming market.

Their are no compromises in the games difficulty at any point, the developers have vowed never to make the game easier, only harder.

The beauty and entertainment this game offers is not on a platter, your first character will suck, your second character will suck, you will be a failure at races, you won't understand how leagues work, you will not be able to get any hard to attain items or craft anything worthwhile, for months. But the tools to doing well at the above are not earnt through grinding, they are skills you as a player develop by acquiring knowledge about the games systems.

The time you invest as a new player driven by intrigue and determination rewards you thousandfold not through items, skills or currency but by developing your own skills as a gamer and honing your understanding of how to progress, acquire wealth and create characters.

When a new four month league starts every player who makes a character in it has no access to any items they have acquired previously, non of the characters, or skills (ala D2's ladders). Everyone has a fresh start at the same time, and only your knowledge of how to level quickly, acquire loot and stay alive that keep you in the running.

The game is patched on a bi-weekly basis, the server downtime is usually a matter of seconds, less than 30 seconds. The bi-weekly patches tend to have a couple of new unique items, a new skill, some new vendor recipes and end game maps. Every 4 months a "mini expansion" is released, this coincides with the start of new 4 month leagues, new areas, challenges (very difficult league specific achievements) items and modifiers to the game are introduced and essentially tested here.

I cannot explain how great this game is in 5000 characters, I could talk about it for hours, and hours and hours, but my lunch break is over and I better get back to work. If you have dabbled in this game and did not enjoy it due to "dysync" "sluggishness" "bad/dark graphics" it is truly your loss, the more time and effort you put into this game the more it will give you back, but it is simply too vast and too complicated to be instantly rewarding, yes your characters skills may initially be feeble and sluggish, but this is a world apart from fully developed endgame characters which are capable of destroying 100s of enemy's in a minute in ways that you upon the first beach cannot even begin to imagine.
  66. Feb 13, 2014
    This game is what Diablo 3 should have been like. I played Diablo 1 when it first came out and for the next several years if anyone asked me what my favourite game was - I would have answered without hesitation - "Diablo". And then the sequels came out, neither one of which could compare to the original. Path of Exile takes what was great about the original Diablo and actually uses it,This game is what Diablo 3 should have been like. I played Diablo 1 when it first came out and for the next several years if anyone asked me what my favourite game was - I would have answered without hesitation - "Diablo". And then the sequels came out, neither one of which could compare to the original. Path of Exile takes what was great about the original Diablo and actually uses it, unlike its sequels, while at the same time adding cool new features.
    It's a pretty short game, experienced players can go from start to finish on the first difficulty level in 2-4 hours. That is a bonus in these types of games because it contributes to replayability - you can easily try out different character builds while not wasting 10 hours going through the game. Some other games try to solve this by letting you completely re-spec your character, and well - those games I will not be replaying, since there is no motivation to do so. And remember - in this type of game the gameplay IS mostly character customization, since there isn't exactly an amazing story or skill and precision-required combat like in action-adventure or fps games. It's all about the combination of abilities you pick and your inventory.
    The best aspect of this game is, of course, the skills and abilities. This is where Diablo 3 failed, and Path Of Exile very much succeeded. Giant passive abilities tree, every class has access to every other class' skills. Some people complain that the freedom is illusionary and you're still stuck within your class boundaries if you want to make a playable character - and that's not true. If you're playing casually and are not trying to make a hardcore character to last all 3 difficulty levels - you can make viable builds of all kinds and still have fun. Combining skills with other skills is an amazing feature too, and is something I really wish I saw more of in other games. I'm still finding new fun combinations using skills I've overlooked in the past, (spell totem + spark + multiple projectiles + fork = you got your own mini boss from one of the areas!).
    At a first glance this game appears to have the same "trash" problem as Diablo - useless (non magic) items all over the ground that you'll never bother picking up. Except this issue has actually been addressed in Path of Exile. There are skills that let you use up non-magical weapon and armor items lying on the ground to create a companion, who actually inherits the properties of those items (for example, if one of those items had energy shield - the companion will have it too). And these items can also be converted to magical if one so desires, for example in case of an optimal socket configuration (which sometimes is impossible to find).
    Music and art assets are good too. I read in someone's review that "music was crap" and honestly have no idea what they are talking about. (they probably don't either).
    Unlike any other game of this genre, Path of Exile also has end-game content: once you reach a certain level you start finding "maps" that give you access to stand-alone high-level areas.
    The one thing I would not praise is the story, but then again this is not the right genre to expect a great story from, (that's what Bioware RPG's are for).
    Although of course, if you're one of those people who will hate on this game just because it's a Diablo clone and/or doesn't have a Blizzard stamp on it - then don't bother playing it, because no matter how good the quality of the game is you'll blindly hate it anyway.
  67. Feb 11, 2014
    this game is overhyped garbage by far. It does alot right, but it does alot oh so wrong. The first complaint I have is the fact that this game forces the character to be a certain sex or character for each class they want to play. the game is a repetitive grindfest from the minute you end up on shore. I fealt like after a few "reskinned" areas, painstakingly messing around with my pretendthis game is overhyped garbage by far. It does alot right, but it does alot oh so wrong. The first complaint I have is the fact that this game forces the character to be a certain sex or character for each class they want to play. the game is a repetitive grindfest from the minute you end up on shore. I fealt like after a few "reskinned" areas, painstakingly messing around with my pretend "unique" character, I fealt like I had already seen the game. the skill tree at face value looks like a innovative potential but a few ten levels and you notice no matter where you build you are going to end up with the same build regardless. there is no freedom in the skill tree. the trade system is piss poor, gold currency was made for a reason. the team finding system is piss poor. nobody answers chat, it is such a hassle to find the correct team. in a game that relies on heavy teamwork this game fails at creating teams. I spent alot of time being bored out of my mind than advancing in the game. what the game does right is blighted out but I will list it anyways. this game does materia and it does it well. even though the combat system is stale and borderline BORING MASH FEST, I find some of the magic fresh towards this stale series. the fact that it is free tells how bad it is, if I had to pay for this game I would be pissed. Expand
  68. Feb 10, 2014
    Take a game good for casual gamers, add desync problems and one of the most immature community... Congratulations! You got Path of Exile!

The only good thing - to imitate - is the micro-transactions system. No P2W here.
  69. Feb 10, 2014
    Pros : Diablo Like

Cons: Heavy Grinding without real reward. Trading is necessary All the time Desync problems and the devs dont give a **** about it. Not newbie friendly Skills are copy paste nothing new. Worst currency system ive seen so far. 6 ppl party almost unplayable coz of many laggy builds. Feels like a single player game but u will lagg / desync Poor game optimization
    Pros : Diablo Like

Cons: Heavy Grinding without real reward.
    Trading is necessary
    All the time Desync problems and the devs dont give a **** about it.
    Not newbie friendly
    Skills are copy paste nothing new.
    Worst currency system ive seen so far.
    6 ppl party almost unplayable coz of many laggy builds.
    Feels like a single player game but u will lagg / desync
    Poor game optimization
    Devs dont really pay attention to the suggestions / feedbacks (only if its positive)
    After lvl 80 it takes ages for a small upgrade in gear.
    Many build are unplayable on Hardcore coz of desync.
    Events are for NOLIFERS

I guess thats all , it worth a try but after few days / weeks it gets booring as Torchlight2.
  70. Feb 3, 2014
    Left this game long ago when I got muted for selling in global chat. I do not know what the big deal is. Everyone there is like a report lover. I understand that they are trying to crack down on botters, but seriously. The community is like a bunch of immature pool turds that do not want to mind their own fu**ing business. I blame all the moderators who are there for this to happen. I knowLeft this game long ago when I got muted for selling in global chat. I do not know what the big deal is. Everyone there is like a report lover. I understand that they are trying to crack down on botters, but seriously. The community is like a bunch of immature pool turds that do not want to mind their own fu**ing business. I blame all the moderators who are there for this to happen. I know many people who feel the same way. I give 0 to this game because they have lousy moderators. My reason is that if I cannot play, then I cannot enjoy the game. I would say the game has potential for a higher score from me only if they allow me to trade freely, fix the chat system, or add a trade platform for easier trades. The game moderators should go to hell. Expand
  71. Feb 2, 2014
    If you enjoyed Diablo 2, this game will feel like a true sequel, i can see myself playing for years, definitely try it out.

It is free to play, with a really fair micro-transactions!
  72. Feb 2, 2014
    One of the company's moderators are **** I was trying to trade my rares in the chat rooms and was muted. I think the moderators need to go out and get a life. Maybe that moderator is a wannabe police geek. It makes me laugh that games are nowhere near competitive sports, and you get penalized from gamer nerds. These moderator nerds and geeks need to get out from behind their screens soOne of the company's moderators are **** I was trying to trade my rares in the chat rooms and was muted. I think the moderators need to go out and get a life. Maybe that moderator is a wannabe police geek. It makes me laugh that games are nowhere near competitive sports, and you get penalized from gamer nerds. These moderator nerds and geeks need to get out from behind their screens so that real men can confront them. Probably they would get pounced out and hide like cowards. If the moderators are reading this, they should really back off of players who are trying to just play and chat game related stuff. These moderators are losers for sure. I give this game 2 points only because I play this free game called Dota 2. I can talk smack all I want and I do not even get penalized. Haha. Expand
  73. Feb 1, 2014
    A 1 out of 10 for me! Ok. I do not like the support moderators in the game. I do not like the players who constantly report you for doing nothing. I do not like the lack of freedom. I do not like how there is not sort of formal trade system because chat trading gets tiresome.

I do like this game being pretty different from some of the games being released today. Seems I have more negative thoughts than positives. That's it, so bye!
  74. Jan 31, 2014
    Hi support! I am writing this review because of you guys. One of the main support guys is named Michael. He is a fu*king shi*! Oh...and also...the other moderators are also fu*king shi*s. I was banned for constantly posting what I wanted to say and all they do is ban people for disruption? Well, my money is going to this new game called Grim Dawn. The support staff at the company areHi support! I am writing this review because of you guys. One of the main support guys is named Michael. He is a fu*king shi*! Oh...and also...the other moderators are also fu*king shi*s. I was banned for constantly posting what I wanted to say and all they do is ban people for disruption? Well, my money is going to this new game called Grim Dawn. The support staff at the company are cowards and they know this. They cannot even take hate posts on the forum, so they have to make up a new rule to prevent hate posts. They also try to ban your IP if they do not like you. Talk about abuse there. Well, it seems as though this game is losing players fast and I am happy to hear that. A dead game means a dead community and that means the company is bad. Wait, the support team is bad and one of the worst customer service groups I have ever met in my whole gaming career. Shame on them coward losers!

George L.
  75. Jan 31, 2014
    This game is the very definition of such. First it is a rip off of Diablo and has all of the faults of that game plus the faults of being an on-line game. The worst feature is that the atmosphere is mono-chromatic, depressing and just plain boring. Frankly after killing undead for hours I found myself identifying with them. The next worst feature is that you play through an area, but haveThis game is the very definition of such. First it is a rip off of Diablo and has all of the faults of that game plus the faults of being an on-line game. The worst feature is that the atmosphere is mono-chromatic, depressing and just plain boring. Frankly after killing undead for hours I found myself identifying with them. The next worst feature is that you play through an area, but have to leave and when you come back you are at home base. You have to do the same old boring stuff all over again. Yes it has a huge amount of upgrades and customization but you have to be willing to pay the price of being bored to tears to get to a point where others say the game becomes interesting. Frankly there are games out there that are loads more fun from the beginning. Expand
  76. Jan 31, 2014
    Almost giving it a 7, semi hard core to hard core players please read on for perspective.
    Way too many posters here did not level past 60.
    8 for concepts Would be 9.5 out of 10 but the huge exception of crafting. For end game be prepared to farm for endless hours to attempt to upgrade gear. Imagine farming thousands of crafting items and maybe not get premium item upgraded. And it
    Way too many posters here did not level past 60.

8 for concepts
    Would be 9.5 out of 10 but the huge exception of crafting.
    For end game be prepared to farm for endless hours to attempt to upgrade gear. Imagine farming thousands of crafting items and maybe not get premium item upgraded. And it took thousands of drops and crafting items to get there. Now you can trade but there is no formal trading system. If you want a 2nd and 3rd part time job well this is your bread and butter. Want to somewhat gear a few characters past 70, good luck. It is better if you trade constantly for marginal gains, but imagine logging on and spamming trade chat every day getting your for sale equipment listed on 3rd party sites instead of playing.

5 for Connectivity
    DESYNC will kill you. If you like to use skill at the margins in stead of power spamming be prepared to be annoyed. There are really cool races for points for a few mediocre items that are enjoyable but the better I do at these races is most correlated to managing desync. Hardcore leagues you have to really spec defensively and or group. If you play casual for end game a death costs you 10% of a level of experience although it won't drop you a level.

I paid up because I feel like supporting the direction of game design they tried, but they would be much better off as a division of Blizzard getting some bandwidth, proper PR and support charging a few bucks a month. The free to play unless you want cool visuals or reasonable inventory space is weak for long term viability. The made huge leaps from D2 and yet made some rookie mistakes all at the same time.

I can only pray someone comes along and learns from their mistakes. Happily ready to pay 10-20$ a month for that privilege.
  77. Jan 31, 2014
    Amazing Diablo clone, with some amazing new innovative features added. It offers a great gaming experience,
    as well as being FREE!!! It is not pay to win, the only micro transactions in the game are purely cosmetic.
    Except for buying more slots in your stash/guild stash. Play it, try it, love it!

Did I mention that it is FREE???
  78. Jan 31, 2014
    To be honest i expected a lot from this game, but i ended up playing with a bad copy of diablo 2.5
    Not saying that this game is crap, I'm saying that it needs a lot of improvement, after reading in the loading screen that this game has been developing for 7 years, well... I can't help myself thinking "7 years and that's all you got ?"
    Overall the graphics and the effects are good, but

Overall the graphics and the effects are good, but the game has some major problems with fps (FYI, I'm running a mid-high end pc) I got coninuous fps spikes and this occurred not only when the map was crowded and I were spamming stuff, but also while running around alone.
    Also, I don't understand the decision of not having a single player or, even better, an offline mode, we all know that guns don't kill people, but lag does.
    Another aspect I don't like is the active skill system, an original idea overall, but poorly fulfilled, a good old skill tree would have been better and less confusing imho.
    The passive skill tree, however, is a real gem, although is the copy of Final Fantasy X skill tree, but still, is nice, you have to plan in advance what you will become and choose wisely your path, I couldn't wait to level up just to look at the tree and place my skill point.
    But let's go back to another unpleasant aspect of the game, the story, is there one? I don't know what to say, honestly, I think it is almost invisible, you just play to reach the next map, that's all, I didn't have the feeling of going on a quest to kill the "evil enemy", just... killing stuff, dropping stuff, having lag/fps spikes, I didn't even finish the game due to boredom.
  79. Jan 29, 2014
    This is a great game (similar to Diablo gameplay) but what's with the region locked!!!??? I was playing from Australia and need to travel out of country to work for months. After I have updated my Steam Client, it has locked me out from continuing. Please update the system to trace the user profile and not the network IP!!!!!

I also agreed with some comments on the chat system - the

I also agreed with some comments on the chat system - the chat screen is way too big which block a big area of your screen.....
  80. Jan 28, 2014
    I will give this game a 5 out of 10. Why you ask? Well, 5 points for a fun game. Minus 5 points for not being able to trade in global chat. I tried to sell my end game gear in global chat and was warned by the moderators not to post them in global chat. Well, suck my motherfu*king co*k! So, that is why I gave the game a 5 out of 10.
  81. Jan 28, 2014
    Just starting playing this hyped game called Path of Exile. I noticed that you cannot trade until level 25. When I got to level 25, I started to trade some stuff in one of the chat rooms. What happened there was a shame. I got people reporting me and I got some staff harassing me about trading. I just started and was having the greatest fun of my life! Unfortunately, the community and theJust starting playing this hyped game called Path of Exile. I noticed that you cannot trade until level 25. When I got to level 25, I started to trade some stuff in one of the chat rooms. What happened there was a shame. I got people reporting me and I got some staff harassing me about trading. I just started and was having the greatest fun of my life! Unfortunately, the community and the staff are the worst of all. Because of this, I give this game a rating of 0 out of 10. Of all the games I played that were free to play, this is the first time my account got muted for something that the game actually allows you to do. Why would you enable a feature that you want players not to do? The worst company and worst staff. If you want a good game, just go buy the Diablo expansion coming out in March and spam and trade all you want in the chat rooms. This company and the staff is a shame. Also, the game is somewhat outdated in relations to recent games. If the company and their staff are going to continue to be as*holes, I am going to refer my friends out of this game and tell other people not to play this game. Expand
  82. Jan 27, 2014
    Path of Exile is one of the finest of its action RPG genre to date. The depth and complexity of gameplay ramps very smoothly over time, but by the end, you're dealing with multiple overlapping and complex special abilities on enemies which you need plenty of tricks in your bag to overcome. The frequent special events are also quite a draw, and the amount of attention paid to the communityPath of Exile is one of the finest of its action RPG genre to date. The depth and complexity of gameplay ramps very smoothly over time, but by the end, you're dealing with multiple overlapping and complex special abilities on enemies which you need plenty of tricks in your bag to overcome. The frequent special events are also quite a draw, and the amount of attention paid to the community and the frequent updates are definitely a huge plus when compared to other F2P games! Expand
  83. Jan 25, 2014
    For a free game, the developers deserve as much credit as they can from fans of arpg's as this game is not only beautiful to look at, but is addicting as well as fun to keep you coming back. Remember it is free!
  84. Jan 20, 2014
    Having played a lot of hack & slash - lots'o'loot games namely Diablo 2 & 3, Torchlight 1 & 2, Van Helsing, Titan quest and a few more - Path of Exile is one of the better ones. The classes are fun, the passive tallents and the way you can create any build is simply unique and amazing as well as collecting gems and leveling them up as your skills. And to top it all off... IT'S FREE! TheirHaving played a lot of hack & slash - lots'o'loot games namely Diablo 2 & 3, Torchlight 1 & 2, Van Helsing, Titan quest and a few more - Path of Exile is one of the better ones. The classes are fun, the passive tallents and the way you can create any build is simply unique and amazing as well as collecting gems and leveling them up as your skills. And to top it all off... IT'S FREE! Their microtransactions is not pay to win and they don't hold any content back. One play through from level 1 on normal mode should give you about 25 to 28 hours. Expand
  85. Jan 19, 2014
    I want to tell everyone how disappointed I am with the moderators of this game. The moderators are scum because they mute you for trading global chat. I played so many free to play games and bought so many pc games that I never been muted for something so absurd like what the moderators do in this game. That is the downside to this company. They cannot even provide a fix to this and whatI want to tell everyone how disappointed I am with the moderators of this game. The moderators are scum because they mute you for trading global chat. I played so many free to play games and bought so many pc games that I never been muted for something so absurd like what the moderators do in this game. That is the downside to this company. They cannot even provide a fix to this and what they do is they mute player accounts. It is not even funny because when you are muted, you basically cannot enjoy the multiplayer experience. Its like playing offline mode, but they make the game an online game. This game is far from being the best and with such a scum moderator team, I am giving this a 1 out of 10. The one point is for a fun run through with the game. Other than that, bad moderators, and that means bad company. Go play Grim Dawn everyone! Its much better. Expand
  86. Jan 16, 2014
    Everyone, my name is Marcus. I played this game called Path of Exiles one day and it seems really fun with complex mechanics. The downside is that it does not seem to be a high-end game. The other downside is that the players seem to complain about not being able to freely trade in chat rooms. I agree completely with this. I blame the support team of moderators at the company calledEveryone, my name is Marcus. I played this game called Path of Exiles one day and it seems really fun with complex mechanics. The downside is that it does not seem to be a high-end game. The other downside is that the players seem to complain about not being able to freely trade in chat rooms. I agree completely with this. I blame the support team of moderators at the company called Grinding Gear Games. I think their supervisor is this guy called Michael. His group are the worst of the worst when it comes to account disables. I know many people who were muted and even locked out of their account for simple chat issues. This sort of a lack of freedom and abusive behavior at the company is what caused me to rate this game at the lowest. I know other companies do not really care about what you do as long as you buy their game. But for Path of Exile, its different. They offer a free to play method and also a pay to play method. I know many players who have been victims of these moderators and are waiting for the Diablo expansion for 2014. I recommend you not support them if their support staff continues to be anal about chat room posts and what not. They also try to cover up the negative truth. That is why I recommend the upcoming Diablo expansion which comes out this year and not Path of Exiles. Fair gaming experience, but bad company and bad support team. Expand
  87. Jan 16, 2014
    For the longest time I've been awaiting an RPG adventure like this. Having to read the reviews on Diablo III and hear the many disappointments Blizzard incorporated into their franchise, Path Of Exile breathes new life into the genre.

You get to choose your character and the level of difficulty. The customization stop there, though. The class you pick already has a predetermined male or female role. If you can't get over that and enjoy the game, you'll be missing out on an adventure.

You don't have to go it alone. Once you get the basics down, which takes no time at all, you can either take the game on alone or quick join a party. Or, if you're stuck, create your own. You'll notice that your party will like to run through the level pretty quickly. So try not to fall behind.

The story is nothing new and nothing surprising. This is another downfall of PoE. My guess is if the story were worse, players wouldn't care. Truly, the game can stand alone lacking a story.

The environments are lush and detailed. The darker areas feel foreboding with a sense of danger at every turn. The music and environmental effects are rich. Headphone users will not be disappointed. Usually games I play, I turn off the music and play my own, but the score here is really well done.

The replay is nice. You can keep playing the game again with tougher foes, though expect to die a lot if you don't party up at this point.

Grinding Gear games also made this game FREE. People have the option to buy custom skins, but they can't buy anything that gives them a leg up over other players, making the PvP arena fair game.

This is truly one of the best titles of 2013 and I look forward to see what Grinding Gear Games comes out with next.
  88. Jan 14, 2014
    Diablo is my all-time favorite PC game, and I've logged thousands of hours into Diablo 2. In my opinion, Path of Exile is the best Dungeon Crawler ever created because it is took everything I loved about Diablo 2 and improved on the formula, took everything I disliked and removed it, and left me with nothing but near-flawless gameplay. The developers are absolutely top-notch, they could beDiablo is my all-time favorite PC game, and I've logged thousands of hours into Diablo 2. In my opinion, Path of Exile is the best Dungeon Crawler ever created because it is took everything I loved about Diablo 2 and improved on the formula, took everything I disliked and removed it, and left me with nothing but near-flawless gameplay. The developers are absolutely top-notch, they could be huge one day if they continue like this.

Incredible game. Worth every penny -- oh wait. IT'S FREE.
  89. Jan 13, 2014
    Hi, since Diablo 2, I never found a game where I can have that deep instinctual desire to play and a feeling of well-being in a hack and slash world of dark fantasy (just because the game is so perfectly giving you that thrill). I'm not an emotional person by nature, but by discovering Path of Exile, I lost a lot of nostalgia related to my childhood. After playing hundreds of online games,Hi, since Diablo 2, I never found a game where I can have that deep instinctual desire to play and a feeling of well-being in a hack and slash world of dark fantasy (just because the game is so perfectly giving you that thrill). I'm not an emotional person by nature, but by discovering Path of Exile, I lost a lot of nostalgia related to my childhood. After playing hundreds of online games, I give Path of Exile, for the moment, a score of 10/10.
    Thank you very much founders of the game.

I'm lvl 37. But also I know how to recognise talent !
    Few people complains about that it is hard to find good items in the League ("Ladder"). For the "hard to farm items part" I don't know for you but in Diablo 2 I had to do Mephisto runs for maybe more than 5 months to compete in pvp with good gears (in the patch 1.10+). So it depends of the player to have a negative or positive point of view (it depends how much you are used to work in a game maybe). If you want easy items anyway don't go "Ladder".

It is very easy to enjoy the content while the atmosphere is so perfect, the hack and slash very good, the party system very good and the game is free too. THE SKILL TREE IS AWESOME!

Give it a try, you won't regret it unless you are a troll.
  90. Jan 10, 2014
    I just played this for a couple of hours and it CREEPED ME OUT.
    The overall setting is so unnerving it makes you want to quit. Some might even do so.
    But after a few hours you're gonna be turning your PC on again. The graphics are a pleasant surprise -- or not. If you're faint hearted, avoid using Corpse Explosion. The game does not hesitate to show these gruesome moves as they should
    I just played this for a couple of hours and it CREEPED ME OUT.
    But after a few hours you're gonna be turning your PC on again.
    The graphics are a pleasant surprise -- or not. If you're faint hearted, avoid using Corpse Explosion. The game does not hesitate to show these gruesome moves as they should be -- and sound: SPLOTCH.
    Extremely satisfying visuals (in contrast to other games that "hold up" on their best spell effects to use them on the max lvl skills) combined with harrowing scenery, hindered vision and relatively high skill cap, make for a game that can make you starve in your living room.

If you want proof of how in-depth it is, take a look at its Passive skill layout. The sheer size of it is mind boggling. o_o
  91. Jan 8, 2014
    I found this game by chance and so far it's being amazing.
    I found this game by chance and so far it's being amazing.
    I kept playing Diablo 2 in my life way, way past normal people stopped with it, I tried my hand with many Diablo clones, I never entered in Diablo 3 because I'm blessed by a divine force, protecting me from all the evil in this world (sometimes these evils take the name of Blizzard or EA) who only want money from my pocket and then... I found Path of Exile and I'm playing it non-stop.
    I loved the skill system, which is pretty similar to the open point system of Final Fantasy X, I loved the fact that there isn't a proper currency but spendable orbs, and I'm loving how the art of the game is realistic and dark in the same vein as the first Diablo and Starcraft of the 90's instead of the childish tone game nowdays took, and as someone who never buys game and always pirate, except if it's from Paradox or some very obscure creative developer, I love their market model.
    Maybe I'm so excited because like another reviewer said "You didn't reach endgame yet", maybe the game is good in the end.
    I only hope their add more content in the future
  92. Jan 7, 2014
    For starters, I don't understand how so many of these reviews are 10.. 10 means a perfect or epic beyond epic game.. either you people work for GGG or you are willfully ignorant to the many flaws this game has.. why is a mystery to me, but this game is nowhere near a 10. To say this game is the deepest or best RPG ever made is laughable.
    Clearly these people have not actually played this
    Clearly these people have not actually played this game for any substantial amount of time, otherwise they would not be giving it a 10 or even an 8.
    Tough to take this site seriously at all with such ridiculous ratings..

Now to the game.

I started playing POE in Open Beta and have leveled a dozen or more characters in that time, several hardcore, several in Onslaught/Domination. All my characters have leveled to between 40-70
    In that time I have learned A LOT about this game and all of its systems and nuances, as well as the gear, trading rates, orb rates, etc.

What people need to understand is that this game is decent, but certainly not great. On the surface, its easy to start playing and be enamored with POE. It isn't until you delve more deeply into the game that you see the huge fissures which unfortunately show the game's true colors. In fact for almost every good thing in the game, it has a flipside that is equally, if not more so, negative. There is nothing in the game that is outright amazing, so again, to give it a ten is a silly joke.

I will break down my post into sections.

The Skill System: Overall the vast variety of skills provides a user with options of how to build their character. Support gems further alter the usability of these skills and provide a good amount of variety and customization. What sucks however about these skill gems is that many of these are either underpowered or downright useless. Some are not strong enough on their own until paired with support gems to buff them, and some are just pointless entirely.

Loot: When you find something in this game, there is a feeling of excitement, like any RPG. The problem is that stuff DOES NOT DROP. Take it from me who's put in around 1k+ hours. If I could sum up the game in one word, especially when considering loot, it would be "UNREWARDING". You will feel like you play for lifetimes only to find trash that is worthless and will net you a couple alts at the vendor. Good luck finding any gear that is a direct upgrade for the character you are leveling. By all accounts, unless you get insanely lucky, that AINT gonna happen. You will need to trade for anything you really need in this game, whether it be gems, orbs, or gear.. which leads me to..

Trading: To get anywhere in this game, you need to trade. That is all there is to it. If you prefer to play self-found, run away from this game now.. I've just saved you a lot of time and heartache. Trading is a pain because not only do people overvalue every item they wish to sell, many people do not even set a fixed price on items and instead ask for "offers". If you offer less than what they wish to sell for, its not uncommon for them to set you on "ignore" or reply with vile speak. It takes forever to sell anything and the trade chat is nothing but a wall of spam on every channel.

Crafting: There really isn't any crafting in this game, which to me is a humongous let down. You have all these different base items, with all these different rolls and affixes, and yet to try to craft you need an absurd amount of orbs to do so with any effect. Orb drop rates are pathetic (after leveling now 6 characters in Domination, I have a total of 7 found Chaos Orbs, 1 divine, 3 Gemcutter Prism, and around 10 Chisels) so once again, you need to trade to get orbs. Orbs are more used for currency than for crafting in almost every aspect of the game. The worst part though, is that there is no progression.. you can use orbs on an item, and there is a small chance it will improve, but a better chance it will regress in quality.

Content: The maps are pretty boring after a while. Nobody give a toss about the story, because its unmemorable, and generally its a slow grind with numerous gear checks instead of any real innovative monster skills or mechanics. Its just Up the damage and resistances and implement bosses with single shot capabilities. Graphically, the game is good but nothing amazing.

What makes me laugh the most though are all these reviews saying that this game isn't pay to win. Are you all unaware of the rampant botting and selling of Orbs and other items for real money? There are a slew of RMT sites where you can buy gear for this game and even some high end players have been known to partake. Anyone who thinks it isn't pay to win is kidding themselves or just ignorant.

Also, does a game being free mean its automatically a 10? Apparently that is this game's best quality.. that its free to play. Well, that's not saying much then is it?

Overall, if you have no life and are masochistic, this is the game for you. Otherwise, look elsewhere for an RPG
  93. Jan 7, 2014
    Path of Exile is a great action RPG. It has one of the best free to play models I have ever seen (The only one it could compare to is DotA 2). I personally don't like farming too much, but Path of Exile makes farming very well. It doesn't take too long, but it isn't too little.
  94. Jan 7, 2014
    Has everything Diablo 3 wishes it had. And its free. What are you waiting for? Save your money on other uncertain purchases and download this immediately. It will keep you entertained for ages.
  95. Jan 6, 2014
    Best game of the last 10 years for me.

If you like loot, this game is for you.
    If you played D2, this game is for you.
    If you like unique builds, this game is for you.

Truly F2P, truly amazing.
  96. Jan 3, 2014
    PoE is a highly addictive Diablo-style game. Extremely simple at first glance, it has a surprisingly complex skill and item system, which makes for hours and hours of fun free gameplay. There is no Pay-To-Win in PoE, as all In-game purchases are almost entirely cosmetic with item stash slots as the exception. I bought them mainly to support the developers.
    Kudos to you guys at Grinding
    Kudos to you guys at Grinding Gear Games!
  97. Jan 2, 2014
    This Free 2 play game consists of some excellent and simple gameplay, that will without a doubt keep you entertained for hours on end. It is also worthy of mentioning the game's original skill tree, which lets you decide however you want to play your character. It's a great game that i worth mentioning and free stuff is always a joy.
  98. Jan 2, 2014
    I am a arpg-fan and started out playing Diablo 2 some years after release. Have also played quite a lot of Titan Quest and some others. I also played Diablo 3, but I never got hooked on it.

I think Path of Exile does a really good job as an arpg, better than Diablo 3. It's really fun to level up a character. The fights are fun, with a good variation of mobs, cool boss packs and plenty of good loot. The itemization is really good, with multiple properties being important and you regularily find a good item. For a noob to the game (it's pretty deep with loads of customization options), but familiar to the genre, the game is just hard enough. I died a couple of times and ran around like a headless chicken multiple times. Nothing is as fun as nearly dying, but getting away in a game like this.
  99. Dec 31, 2013
    An ARPG in the spirit of Diablo II with even more depth and complexity and thus infinite replay value. This is a game for people who like to customize their characters, plan out builds and then try them out. Choice matters in this game, you can't just change your mind and alter your build at any point without cost.

This game brings many revolutionary innovations to the genre. The potion

This game brings many revolutionary innovations to the genre. The potion system is brilliant, health and mana potions that replenish charges when you kill enemies. The potions can also have magical affixes that make them gain charges on critical strikes, dispel frozen effects on use or increase armour on use to name a few.

The game has optional special events that run several times each day where characters compete in leveling as far as possible in a set amount of time. These events alernate between different rulesets that keeps them fresh and interesting. The game has no traditional currency system, instead it uses different orbs and scrolls as currency that are used for crafting gear in the game.

Path of Exile is free to play done right, you can not pay real money to become more powerful. You can pay for cosmetic items, pets, weapon effects, spell effects and more stash tabs where you can store items.
  100. Dec 30, 2013
    Path of Exile versus Diablo III

Path of Exile versus Diablo III

Path of Exile has more in common with Diablo III than differences; i.e. game play, view, combat, weapons, leveling, etc... But as much as they are alike, they are also different. Diablo III is a more polished game in the realm of graphics, game play, storyline and ability to trade items and buy items…but you also pay a price. I liked Diablo and would give it an overall B+. The same can be said about Path of Exile, which I would give a B+; but for different reasons.

I like or Love; It is free…no risk. Graphics and story-line for this game are very good, not great, but for a free to play I am pleased enough. Weapon and amour system is similar to everything else, but different enough you find yourself tweaking and tweaking. Cool and abundant character selection with mind blowing ways of leveling up and fighting and spell tweaks. Making your own amour & weapons is fun, easy and interesting, but not so easy that you will get awesome amour or weapons without effort. As I am sure most of you know, the skill tree is huge…but if you take a little time to really study it; I believe you will enjoy the system they developed and ways you can level up. Like the currency system of barter, but it can become frustrating; read below. Great and easy co-op if you want to play with a friend.

I don’t like or hated. Small character inventory which has you running back and forth to town WAY TOO often to unload treasure. I hate having to pick up gobs and gobs of useless stuff, but in order to have plenty of identification and portal scrolls and build up an inventory of needed stones and orbs for later use; you are forced too. The bad part is all they would have to do is add a feature that allowed you to instantly scrap a normal or low level magic item for the required scroll scraps OR to go ahead and hall it back to town if you think it might bring in a better price. This way when your inventory fills up with items worth bartering, you could make the trip back to town; but if you want top dollar for everything, you can still hall everything if you want.

Towards to end of Act II I began to tire just a little, but about that time the difficulty and abilities of amour and weapons changed a little and “support” stones began to make an appearance. This freshened up things a bit and shows they put thought into the long term evolution of your characters…kudos.

Recommendations for a better game:
    Have 10 to 20 percent of the story line quests be some type of problem solving, riddles or Tomb Raider type puzzle; versus just finding the key or killing the next boss.

Fix the inventory system and figure a way you can cut trips to town selling crap by 75%!
    If possible, an auction house similar to eBay’s “Buy it Now” would be awesome, but keep it simple. Each person (free account) can post 5 items for sale and can state what stones, gems etc. they will take for said item.

Final thought. In some ways I feel like this game is a rip off of Diablo III, in some ways better and in some ways worse. But after playing it for 48 hrs, Path of Exile is just different enough and fun enough that I do feel like I am playing a unique game that is just similar to Diablo III and not a copy of it.
  101. Oct 23, 2013
    At first glance, this is the Mecca of ARPGs, with its dark, sombre mood and unforgiving game systems. You will almost certainly have a good time leveling up with your friends. Then you reach endgame.

PoE's map system, which is supposed to reduce the apparent repetitiveness of running the same high-end area over and over again (as in most other ARPGs), is prohibitively costly in terms of in-game currency for anyone but the most dedicated mapping groups. Solo players sadly get completely shafted and are forced to run the same story areas over and over again. Why they couldn't have a less rewarding, free tier of soloing maps is beyond me.

The worst however, is the combat. It is complex, but almost entirely passive; once your skill-tree (or skill-forest as it is more widely known) is in order, the game is little more than a mindless click-fest. This is actually probably a good thing because the game's netcode is so egregious that anything requiring the tiniest bit of finesse can send you into a rage: there's nothing quite like getting one-shot by a boss's mace half a screen away. The developers claim that the problematic netcode is a result of their commitment to minimize the effects of bots and other undesirables, which is laudable, but one has to wonder if in the end it was worth it.

You may also get turned off by the extreme reliance on trading that is a consequence of the frustratingly unrewarding item drops and PoE's annoyingly random orb system (they function as a sort of consumable currency, as there is no gold in this game).

I award the game 6 points because it is pleasant enough to play through the story once. It is remarkably bug-free for a game with such complex systems and, save for the wonky netcode, you shouldn't have any headaches. It's free, so there is no reason not to give it a try if you're not bandwidth-capped.

1. May 9, 2014
    Grinding Gear Games has created something special here, and given it gratis to the world.
  2. Mar 11, 2014
    Hack & slash games are addictive because they follow a simple formula: kill, kill and kill some more. Path of Exile is no different in this regard. During your quest in the perilous continent of Wraeclast you need to slay thousands and thousands of monsters but it never gets boring because there are a plenty of fresh ideas like the very vast skill system and barter-based economy that differentiate it from other similar games. But it's not a perfect game. The story is weak and the difficulty level is too low in the beginning. [Dec 2013]
  3. Jan 13, 2014
    An exceptionally generous free-to-play action-rPG. What it lacks in punch it makes up for in depth and value for money.