Payday 2 PC

3.5

1. Oct 16, 2015
    This game was one of the gems on Steam even a year ago. The atmosphere and challenge have become more and more diluted by power creep in DLC ever since however, and the developers have now decided instead of fixing that problem they want to embrace and monetize it. The entire system has been rebalanced with a massive nerf to player weapons/setups (This is arguably somewhat good), EXCEPTThis game was one of the gems on Steam even a year ago. The atmosphere and challenge have become more and more diluted by power creep in DLC ever since however, and the developers have now decided instead of fixing that problem they want to embrace and monetize it. The entire system has been rebalanced with a massive nerf to player weapons/setups (This is arguably somewhat good), EXCEPT for the DLC and new microtransaction system where players can gamble for skins like in CS:GO (Sometimes to unlock skins for guns in DLC you haven't bought yet), but these skins give added benefits so you can boost your guns back to pre-nerf. The original developers of Payday are a dying breed, and the few who remain have turned it fully into a "Pay for the game, so you can pay for a chance to pay to win".

If you're thinking about getting into it - you're too late for the party. We're all just getting out.
  2. Oct 16, 2015
    It used to be a decent game.
    Developer flooded the game with DLC-s. Some of these DLC-s are collaborations (advertisements) with other movies and video games. These DLC-s does not show coherency with the original game and its atmosphere, therefore making the game bigger, but not better.
    The game does not punish cheaters, only identifies them. Despite the developer promises,
    It used to be a decent game.
    The game does not punish cheaters, only identifies them.

Despite the developer promises, micro-transactions has been implemented to the game, which give weapons better stats. These can not be acquired without micro-transactions.
  3. May 25, 2015
    Payday 2 is profoundly frustrating. There are some cool ideas in there, sure. But most of the game is poorly thought out. The gunplay is horrific, and the curve for unlocking weapons and tools will force you to endure it over and over. It takes too long to get the means to complete any heist efficiently. A lot of time is wasted sitting around if you "go quiet" (as the game oftenPayday 2 is profoundly frustrating. There are some cool ideas in there, sure. But most of the game is poorly thought out. The gunplay is horrific, and the curve for unlocking weapons and tools will force you to endure it over and over. It takes too long to get the means to complete any heist efficiently. A lot of time is wasted sitting around if you "go quiet" (as the game often encourages), because the developer has locked a bunch of essential gear away until you meet an arbitrary amount of time played. Going "loud" is also awful due to the aforementioned gunplay and the bullet sponge enemies. Couple this with ammo limitations, weak guns and poor gun handling, and you have one of the worst games on Steam. Expand
  4. Oct 16, 2015
    Payday 2 used to be my favorite game until overkill software decided that on their second birthday celebration they were going to add these wonderful things known as micro-transactions and they have officially ruined the game. they promised us free content and we micro-transactions. they said payday 2 would ever have micro-transactions but I guess they lied
  5. Oct 16, 2015
    This game was great from the start.
    Once I started seeing all the DLC's being pumped out, I was iffy, but I kept on going, because this game was amazing. The multiplayer, music and the general atmosphere.
    This game was great from the start.
    What is not OK is the recent crimewave update. Overkill promised us no microtransactions, and here we get them. The things you can buy aren't purely cosmetic. You get stat increases. That's what makes this different from CS:GO and TF2.
  6. Oct 16, 2015
    The game has p2p multiplayer (no dedicated servers).

It also has more dlc than you can shake a stick at and with the latest patch they made it pay2win by adding gambling boxes that contain stat boosting weapons. (and to add insult to injury they initially sold the game on the promise that they would never add stat boosting microtransactions or dlc, to gain goodwill from the community)
    The game has p2p multiplayer (no dedicated servers).

Even before the patch dlc weapons were already pretty much a requirement to be able to complete the harder missions (good luck without explosive ammo on certain enemies) but now they're simply gone all the way.

My advice is to play literally any other multiplayer game out there, it's going to be hard to do worse than payday 2.
    Payday2 is just a bottomless microtransaction pit.
  7. Oct 16, 2015
    Developers said "they'd be no microtransactions" and straight up lied to us.
    This game was great at first, but it's slowly been becoming a DLC fest to where it is now. Plus overkill let PD2Stats and Goonmod die, no respect for those who made your game better.
    I wouldn't gift this to my worst enemy. Stay far away!
  8. Oct 16, 2015
    he developer promised NO MICROTRANSACTIONS
    What they do? micros for content that gives you stats and turning it in a pay to win game. And this was released during an event that was suppose to release free stuff.
    I'm done with it.
  9. Oct 16, 2015
    Once upon a time this was a great game, but with the recent microtransactions addition many casual players will find themselves priced right out of the market. In addition to the potentially hundred of dollars in dlc to complete the game experience this game and it's developers have really lost sight of things.
  10. Oct 16, 2015
    This is what happens when the developers break their more important promise... And now they are on the recieving end of the **** I'm glad, they have been threating their fanbase like **** it's time to return the favor.
  11. Oct 16, 2015
    Too much P2W. Don't bother. They promised they wouldn't, they did, yadda yadda. I have 700+ hours and I can't recommend this because of shady practices from OVERKILL.
  12. Oct 16, 2015
    Once upon a time, this was a good game. However, we've reached the point where the game costs $130 dollars to buy the base game, plus all the DLCs, and Overkill has the audacity to add microtransactions, going back on a promise where they said they would never include microtransactions.
    Congratulations Overkill, you managed to surpass both EA and Ubisoft scumbaggery in the span of a day
  13. Oct 16, 2015
    Payday 2 was fun, enjoyable and a great game for coop. Now after the newest updates, it's more like a pay2win. Same like CS:GO or TF2. Hopefully they'll revert the updates they did. If not it's a disaster.
  14. Oct 31, 2013
    When this game was first released it was fantastic! Sure there was not a whole lot of content, but there was a promise of more and what they had was good. Then they changed how some things worked, like they added finite numbers to things which made the game even more playable and fun.

Unfortunately with the numbers came the arbitrary artificial difficulty spike in the game. Suddenly armor didn't seem to matter and even the best armor in the game would get 2 shot within a second, and there are places that you CANNOT stealth with this mechanic implemented. The stealth is par at best with certain aspects being incredibly aggravating like sound being heard from suppressed weapons across rooms and through a few walls. But all this could be made up for since it's a co-op game and could have a good community...riiiggghhhttt?

This game has a terrible community and overkill poorly supports it. It is hard to find good connections to games and when you do if you're low level don't expect to stay. Overkill tries to "help" the community by censoring it. As an example just look at their statement on cheating. In a nutshell it states that if you even mention the word cheating anywhere on their forums even if it would be beneficial towards the community to know what to look for expect an immediate ban from their forums and possibly of anything overkill related and them reporting you to valve as if that does anything.

I can't even go to their forums anymore for fear if I say anything negative I won't be able to play anything of their's ever again. Hell, I don't know if I'm safe even here. If they look at this review and find me on steam then they may do the exact same thing.

At first, I felt bad for the backlash their community gave them for some things. Now that they have taken the lower ground I feel no shame in saying that their decisions with the game so far are terrible and I don't see a bright future for it.
  15. Oct 16, 2015
    Lying developers, they say no microtransactions, BAM microtransactions, then they try to brush it off with the next update. In the road to crimefest event, it was said that the rewards would be free, but i dont think paying for skins is a free reward
  16. Oct 16, 2015
    A long time ago there was a company which made pretty awesome game. Bunch of crooks, lots of cops, guns to shoot, people to rob. Plain and simple. Yet enjoyable and i've spent about 300 hours on it. And then the second game was announced. More heists, guns and everything. Of course, i preordered it. And, unlike what Eric Cartman said, i didn't get a huge ♥♥♥♥ in my mouth. I got a game thatA long time ago there was a company which made pretty awesome game. Bunch of crooks, lots of cops, guns to shoot, people to rob. Plain and simple. Yet enjoyable and i've spent about 300 hours on it. And then the second game was announced. More heists, guns and everything. Of course, i preordered it. And, unlike what Eric Cartman said, i didn't get a huge ♥♥♥♥ in my mouth. I got a game that still needed working on. Fix this, add that and it'd be even greater than the first part. But instad we, the players were like a Pavlov's dog or a maid in a hotel. The bell rang and she came. The dlc comes out and we buy it. At first we calmed ourselves:"Just a little dlc. Rather cheap. Devs have to eat too." But then the bell rang more and more, slowly succumbing to buying more ♥♥♥♥. And the ♥♥♥♥ it was. "New guns, melee, masks" were, in fact, just another piece of either useless (because of OP guns) or owerpowered guns that made no sense in using others. Anyway, the guns were a lot, the heisters were a lot, the melee was a lot and the heists not a lot. But, more importantly, despite all dlcs nothing changed ingame. We could count on one hand's fingers the times we had to do something that didn't include tossing bags all over tha map. But as of recent times, dlcs began to be even ♥♥♥♥♥ier, meaningless than you'd imagine. And then the striking blow we got. Brutus finally stroke us in the back with the blade of microtransactions (which are not totally them, but still it's ♥♥♥♥ed up mechanic). Buying useless skins for a cost of few dlc's. And that's while there are entire mod communities that made skins, weapons and suits for the characters for free. But nooooo. Now you have to buy the game itself, dlcs, weapons skins and all that nonsense. I think developers should be remembered that this is a game of ROBBERY, HEISTS and not golden guns, pink masks and greeny-blacky-redy-blue **** as melee. And your common "DON'T BUY IF U DON'T WANT IT, MOIT" does not work here. Because would you like to eat an entire cake? Or only oranges that cake includes, apart from other ingridients (which are quite a lot).

To be short: game was good, then became worse, and now it's like a money-eating vacuum cleaner.

DO NOT BUY
  17. Oct 16, 2015
    Microtransactions , thanks a lot overkill. This was a neat game , but the developers decided to continually add really idiotic things like swords and shields (I am not kidding). This game has turned into a big ****
  18. Oct 16, 2015
    The developers promised on multiple occasions that there would be no microtransactions n the game at any point. There are now mictrotransactions. These microtransactions can increase the stats of your weapons, a big no-no in any game. This was also released at the beginning of an event that was explicitly stated to be 'free content for everyone'.

I think the game itself is quite good.

I think the game itself is quite good. But broken promises and pay 2 win garbage ruin it all for me.
  19. Oct 16, 2015
    No, just no - Payday 2: This time CS:GO rip off time.
    CrimeFest - free items, if you have the steam funds to pay...
    Their bad business practises cannot be endorsed, i'm sorry payday - they ruined you...
  20. Oct 16, 2015
    No Microtransactions ! Almir and Ovk team gg and bb ! You wanted our money ? You wont get it ? This was one of my favorite games. Pre-order Payday 3 in future ? No thanks. Buy Payday 3 with 75-90% discount in future ? NO thanks ! Buy OVK the walking beard ? You know..
  21. Oct 16, 2015
    Overkill managed to gather 30k+ users to play at the same time in order to beat a challenge, now the same strategy is being used against Overkill because they implemented skins boxes (that affects stats) that required to buy a key with real money to unlock.

Ironic results are ironic.
  22. Oct 16, 2015
    8=====D Hey Overkill, you're a worthless braindead inbred cancer causing HIV infected failed abortion. Screw you and you're disgusting microtransactions. Why can CS:GO/TF2 have microtransactions, but not you're drunk, inbred, failed abortion of a child, Payday 2? It's because thoses games are free to play, cheap and don't have $130 worth of DLC jammed up it's butt. 8=====D
  23. Oct 26, 2015
    All the guns are nerf down to make you buy the new weapon skins at 2.50 a drill to open a safe to try get skin stats weapons boost. This include any DLC you buy you need get skin for it becuase even DLC weapons been nerf to make room for this new boost skin stats.
  24. Oct 16, 2015
    I honestly cannot believe the gall of Overkill. The community worked hard for free content and updates and they slap us in the face with micro-transactions. Enough is enough Overkill. The game was choked with D.L.C. in the first place and, honestly, I'm tired of your greed. Until you actually start listening to the community, I'm done. It's over.
    Thievery is supposed to be kept in the
    Thievery is supposed to be kept in the game. Good luck picking up the pieces of this disaster.
  25. Jul 13, 2015
    This review is based on the single player experience - Basically, it has little to no working single player elements. The bots do not do anything to help the player, many of the missions are practically impossible because of it, because lets face it - the Payday franchise was always crafted around the multiplayer co-op.

If you purchase this game thinking its got a viable solo player,

If you purchase this game thinking its got a viable solo player, you're going to be heavily disappointed. Now lets go to the Multiplayer side of the game, I don't deny the game is fun and fast paced, however the community is extremely toxic, the community makes even the worst Call of Duty griefer clans and trolls look good by comparison. The other major problem is DLC DLC DLC-

Payday 2 is best purchased these days when its heavily on-sale, and you've got alot of friends who are willing to run you through the game as such. Do not play with randoms...ever. Also, if you don't intend to play co-op then avoid this series, the single player barely functions at all - consider it a tutorial, a crappy one at that.
  26. Oct 16, 2015
    WELCOME TO PAY2WINDAY: GLOBAL OFFENSIVE!!! Microtransactions ad skins that give your guns stat boosts. Oh did I mention pistols do more damage than shotguns. Do our best to like this game after the new update because even Payday vets are dropping this. Te entire community is in a uproar with good reason. I loved this game so much, damn shame to see what it`s become.
  27. Oct 16, 2015
    False advertising. NO MICROTRANSACTIONS . screwing us on the first day of crimefest while the community worked so hard to get the challenges. day one reward: MICROTRANSACTIONS
  28. Oct 16, 2015
    I will change this review when Overkill alters their latest changes to my satisfaction.

My main problem with the latest change is the cost to get into the game and to use this new change fully. On top of that, some bad decisions and behavior on Overkill's part have come to light as a result of all of this. Keeping the modding community out of the loop is shameful, and not being transparent with everyone until the day you implement changes is even more so.
  29. Oct 16, 2015
    #IAmNotAWallet ....................................................................................................................... ...............................................
  30. Oct 16, 2015
    Others will have said it better. Some will have said it with less "tact". The point is the same, the game may well be in a swan dive at this point. I only joined this community during the last free weekend, but within a couple of days, I felt my investment had been made back and then some. I can say what Overkill are doing has undone that, but nor can I say I'd have felt the same way aboutOthers will have said it better. Some will have said it with less "tact". The point is the same, the game may well be in a swan dive at this point. I only joined this community during the last free weekend, but within a couple of days, I felt my investment had been made back and then some. I can say what Overkill are doing has undone that, but nor can I say I'd have felt the same way about this game had I picked up now, as I did then.

One of the strongest aspects of Payday 2 is it's community. Coming in, I was told it was hardcore and difficult to drop into at this late stage. I refute everything about that. If you are a level-headed and polite, the community would embrace you, and not let you drown. The game is brilliant because of it's community, secondary to the, then, superb developer's, who responded to community feedback. The latter changed, and as a result, the former is dissolving.

Until Overkill make this community whole by restoring ethics and a "community first" approach to their development of this game, I cannot recommend to get in now. You may well find yourself out of pocket, on a sinking ship. You can't even get yourself a coke, and you're about to drown. That is what Overkill has done. Ensured you drown, thirsty.
  31. Oct 16, 2015
    Is this game good? Well, the answer is... it WAS. The problem is that the game contains microtransactions THAT CHANGE YOUR STATS when they first promised not to have it. Sure, there are DLC, but those are guarantee to have. The new system, which is akin to TF2/CSGO (but with stat changing skins) tip the balance of the game.

Also, for those that say having stat changing skins will not

Also, for those that say having stat changing skins will not affect your game play, say that again when you get kicked from a majority of games, due to people dislike it. So your money is not well spent.
  32. Oct 16, 2015
    It was all fun and games until they added microtransactions...

Skins with stats? Who the hell thought that was a good idea!? You pay a base game, and if you want more heists or have more weapons (even ammunition for shotguns) you have to pay dlcs...well all base heists and weapons are great, and i love it...and i dont complain about the dlcs...but adding microtransactions its a bit
    It was all fun and games until they added microtransactions...

Skins with stats? Who the hell thought that was a good idea!?

You pay a base game, and if you want more heists or have more weapons (even ammunition for shotguns) you have to pay dlcs...well all base heists and weapons are great, and i love it...and i dont complain about the dlcs...but adding microtransactions its a bit too much, dont you think?
  33. Oct 16, 2015
    Payday 2 was ok until developers start adding microtransactions in a retail co-op game. it's not even MMO - all the game network mechanics is based on peer-to-peer. It looks stupid and money grabbing scheme - stay away. even other titles which has microtransactions have way to get items not spending a real money and those titles hosted on developers servers.
  34. Oct 16, 2015
    Loved the game before, gameplay is still solid, but recent changes have made me want to deter from purchasing dlc's and content in the future. I played the game from the start talks of free updates and future heists were a very attractive feature making me want to see the game succeed. Then dlc's came and free updates were a thing of the past and it has gotten to the point of basicallyLoved the game before, gameplay is still solid, but recent changes have made me want to deter from purchasing dlc's and content in the future. I played the game from the start talks of free updates and future heists were a very attractive feature making me want to see the game succeed. Then dlc's came and free updates were a thing of the past and it has gotten to the point of basically paying a monthly fee just to keep up with game changing weapons and perk decks to ensure you and your crew do well on each heist. So after 500 some odd hours i took a break from the game seeing as i didn't want to pay a monthly fee for games. I decided to take it back up with persuasion from friends, start getting into it again and give in and buy a few of the dlc's, start doing all the goals with the community to unlock more crimefest rewards and come to find out there has been a weapon 'rework'. Seeing the skins with stats on it just to make them viable guns in the game is sad. If the stats were taken off and had just cosmetic skins, it would be acceptable but it seems with many of the negative reviews you have displeased the community. Expand
  35. Apr 6, 2015
    bad graphics look like from 2001.
    bad audio.
    too much dlc.
    dlc too expensive.
    bad game.
  36. Oct 16, 2015
    Growing mountain of DLC that locks a ever expanding section behind a aditional paywall. And now microtransactions, which means the promise that Payday 2 would never contain microtransactions was a big fat lie.

Stay clear, seriously stay clear. The game is in a complete swan dive and completely content in seemingly trying to nickle and dime you every step of the way to the bottom in such an extent it puts games like Evolve to shame. A game that got particularly slammed for the extensive DLC

Stay clear, for the love of god stay clear.
    Save your money.
  37. Oct 16, 2015
    Gamespot.com asked if Overkill Software anticipated putting microtransactions in the game, Goldfarb bluntly stated, "No. No. God, I hope not. Never. No."
    What a deception.
  38. Oct 16, 2015
    The game was fun once. Unfortunately, the devs added micro-transactions after saying they would never do so. This is a bad business practice. They also nerfed some weapons into near-uselessness and added weapon skins that add bonuses to the weapon stats to sell what is basically the original weapon back to you. They don't care about their community. So, thanks Overkill for showing otherThe game was fun once. Unfortunately, the devs added micro-transactions after saying they would never do so. This is a bad business practice. They also nerfed some weapons into near-uselessness and added weapon skins that add bonuses to the weapon stats to sell what is basically the original weapon back to you. They don't care about their community. So, thanks Overkill for showing other devs how to conduct poor business and butt you out of the market. Expand
  39. Oct 16, 2015
    Can't trust the devs anymore. They once cared for their game, now they only want money.
    Stop contradicting yourself OVERKILL, give us good content, not **** excuses for DLC and microtransactions WHICH YOU ONCE SAID WON'T MAKE IT INTO THE GAME.
  40. Oct 16, 2015
    The game is $30. There is over $100 of DLC weapons. Many DLC weapons are REQUIRED to play the game. On top of this the latest update also added pay-to-win micro transaction in the form of stat boosting weapon skins. The latest update also 'rebalanced' every gun, making most useless. The same update added $2.50 a try gambles at getting the skins to correct the guns to how they wereThe game is $30. There is over $100 of DLC weapons. Many DLC weapons are REQUIRED to play the game. On top of this the latest update also added pay-to-win micro transaction in the form of stat boosting weapon skins. The latest update also 'rebalanced' every gun, making most useless. The same update added $2.50 a try gambles at getting the skins to correct the guns to how they were before. They disabled every mod for the game, specifically the ones that allow skins and UI customization, with the same update. The Developer then has remained silent other than 1 tweet claiming the unprecedented community backlash was just us being uncivilized. 48 hours of terrible decisions have ruined the game they spent 3 years making. No matter the actions they take now, the community has spoken and most have left for good. Payday 2 is a multiplayer only game, so a community that is either rioting or leaving means there is no reason to ever buy this game. Expand
  41. Oct 16, 2015
    A few days ago I would have given this game somewhere around an 8 and recommended it. But now Overkill decided to "reward" it's loyal playerbase that spent the last 2 weeks doing in game challenges by implementing a Stat-boosting weapon skin system shamelessly copied from CS:GO. Despite promising not to implement microtransactions 2 years ago. Don't buy this game until theseA few days ago I would have given this game somewhere around an 8 and recommended it. But now Overkill decided to "reward" it's loyal playerbase that spent the last 2 weeks doing in game challenges by implementing a Stat-boosting weapon skin system shamelessly copied from CS:GO. Despite promising not to implement microtransactions 2 years ago. Don't buy this game until these microtransactions are removed. Expand
  42. Oct 16, 2015
    The devs are massive liars introducing microtransactions even when they told everyone they would not. **** this game and **** its devs. Never believe anything Almir Listo says
  43. Oct 16, 2015
    This was a great game in 2013. It's been all downhill since the end of 2014. Note the reviews. Positive ones in 2013, negative ones around the beginning of 2015 and then tank in October 2015. Mostly related to unfulfilled promises and tanking the stats of hard earned weapons to encourage a pay to win model.
  44. Oct 17, 2015
    20€ for the base game (open your heart).

150€ for all the dlc (open your wallet)

∞€ for pay to win micro-transactions (open your ass)

EA isn't looking so bad now is it?
  45. Oct 16, 2015
    Great Game, Awful Company.

Great Game, Awful Company.

I've always liked Payday 2, so much so that I could recommend it even with Overkill, its greedy husk of a developer, actively tearing it to shreds. First they started oversaturating the DLC tab, then splitting up what WAS one pack into two separately priced packs, then they started strongarming us into buying DLC with new and ridiculous enemies like the SWAT turret van. Nothing, though, can keep me recommending it now.

They're trying to actually introduce skins. Yes, P2W skins that completely unbalance the already crippled checks and balances of the weapons in this game. Do NOT buy this game, nor any game from this disgusting developer. The people who made Overkill good are gone, all that's left are disgusting frauds who are simply in this to steal your cash.

The irony of a game about robbery trying to rob us blind is too much for me to handle. Avoid this, avoid OVERKILL's Walking Dead, avoid any games by this disgusting developer. You've been warned.
  46. Oct 16, 2015
    Just another game that fell into the micro-transactions pit.. It was fun for the time when it was an honest game, but that time is long gone. I suggest trying to get a refund if you currently have it. Steam will willingly refund it, considering the company lied about it's game and the criminal practices it's company is currently taking part in.
  47. Oct 16, 2015
    The game costs 20$. There are 17 DLC at 5$ a pop. The game just got "rebalanced", aka all weapons nerfed into the ground and skins with stat boosts added that you also must pay for. This game is now just a money making machine for the developer. It was good when it come out, but they have subsequently ran it into the ground with their shoddy dlc and nickel and diming tactics. This has to stop.
  48. Oct 26, 2015
    Game itself is one of the best game I have played, most fun with friends. Too bad that OVERKILL (game developer) is too greedy.
    Lot's of overprised DLC's, game itself includes microtransactions.
    All community was loud and clear that microtransactions should be removed, and when we asked that they should remove "Blackmarket update", answer was: "From an economical standpoint however,
    Lot's of overprised DLC's, game itself includes microtransactions.
    "From an economical standpoint however, completely based on statistics, we can already see that the Black Market update is working as we intended," he wrote. "Right now, things are looking pretty great."

Game itself (without that update) 10/10, but I must give 0 rating because Overkill is too greedy and does not listen community at all.
  49. Sep 9, 2013
    Do NOT ignore all the negative reviews that only talk about technical issues. If a game does not work, then you cannot play, and a game that works is always better than one which does not work. Would you rather a pacman arcade or Crysis running at 5 FPS? And this game essentially requires multiplayer, with all its connection issues. The AI assisting you are dumb, the AI for the enemies areDo NOT ignore all the negative reviews that only talk about technical issues. If a game does not work, then you cannot play, and a game that works is always better than one which does not work. Would you rather a pacman arcade or Crysis running at 5 FPS? And this game essentially requires multiplayer, with all its connection issues. The AI assisting you are dumb, the AI for the enemies are dumb, about the only seemingly not dumb AI are the ones who are supposed to press the panic buttons. But back to technicals. I have a generation one i7 with a GTX 580 and I can't run this on full HD. Maybe I have old drivers or I heated them too much you say, okay perhaps that explains the low FPS, but it certainly isn't causing the mouse lag. Look it up. It's a retarded problem I've never seen happen in any other game. If I lower resolution to 1600 900 its workable but anything higher and the mouse is not crisp. Thankfully the AI are dumb so it's like playing a zombie game when you're shooting but this carries over to the menus. Like, really? There's a host of other technical problems too, including the game crashing when you attempt to accept a friend invite to a game. Which you basically have to because the lobby system in this game is garbage.

And it has to be, because otherwise it'd be all too clear that this game has 0 content. Starting a mission requires you to look at what appears to be a map of a city, and then there are random dots that show up here and there. You aren't allowed to just pick a certain mission or a certain difficulty, you have to wait for it to pop up. It's not even in predictable locations; you'll find the exact same mission spawn on two entirely different points on the map. The maps have slightly different spawns totally to maybe five variations tops on each mission, but overall its the same stuff. This randomness is also in equipment: you can buy your base guns, but every single mod and every single mask component has to be obtained through random draw at the end of missions through this pick a card thing. Oh, and you still have to pay for them.

And every single mission briefing or ending there are people talking about the "story" in the background.

And that's the game. What did I pay 30 bucks for again? This is an "Action RPG"? Where's the action and where's the RPG? Maybe RPG stands for Random Player Game, because even the player's own equipment can only be obtained through lottery.

If you always have 3 friends playing with you then perhaps going full stealth every time inserts a little strategy and coordination into it, but just playing by yourself or with pubbies will always just turn it into Zombies: Stealing Cash With Clown Masks Edition.
  50. Oct 17, 2015
    They added micro transactions when they said they wouldnt.
    Overkills devs are liars
    The skins have stat boosts that basically make the game Pay 2 Pay 2 Win
  51. Oct 16, 2015
    PAYDAY 2 already have a lot of DLCs, now they introduced micro-transactions. Who speaks is a person that played that for 5 hundred hours.
    It's not OVERKILL, it's OVERGREED.
  52. Oct 16, 2015
    Once proud franchise destroyed by microtransactions. $200 for the entire game, all the DLC for the right to buy even more stuff in game. Chests you can't open without spending $2.49 each.
  53. Oct 16, 2015
    I had to buy the Review DLC for $4.95 to write this, so here goes.

Payday 2 is a 4-player co-op viral marketing ploy that has recently decided to abandon its core fan base and has gone down the path of introducing microtransactions as a method of squeezing more money from its playerbase. If you are a fan of questionable business ethics and enjoy opening crates with expensive keys,
    I had to buy the Review DLC for $4.95 to write this, so here goes.

If you are a fan of questionable business ethics and enjoy opening crates with expensive keys, purchased for real money, then this game is for you! Salute!
  54. Aug 23, 2013
    Falsely advertised with "17 heists, 30 stages and 6 escapes" and "5 times the missions of Payday: The Heist" several times before release. This was a blatant lie which was confirmed today by Overkill Almir. The only reason me and any of my friends bought this game (and the CCE at that) was based on those lies. The people behind this game are nothing more than scammers and deserve the sameFalsely advertised with "17 heists, 30 stages and 6 escapes" and "5 times the missions of Payday: The Heist" several times before release. This was a blatant lie which was confirmed today by Overkill Almir. The only reason me and any of my friends bought this game (and the CCE at that) was based on those lies. The people behind this game are nothing more than scammers and deserve the same respect WarZ gained, which is a big fat nothing. Stay clear of this trash game and company. You've been warned. Expand
  55. Oct 16, 2015
    Had a lot of fun with this game for a long time. This is the only reason I can give as high a rating as a 4 based on what Overkill has recently done. Adding microtransactions to your game is one of the very best ways to say piss on your veteran players, and to give the impression you only care about making money and new players. Overkill you are terrible and should feel terrible.
  56. Oct 16, 2015
    Broken promises and overbearing and toxic monetization methods. Weapons are incredibly imbalanced and the developers treat the community as whales rather than as proper consumers.
  57. Aug 23, 2013
    Many bugs as stated earlier, since beta release most of people experience networking isuess, dropping connections, and worst of all LACK OF CONTENT. This game was released with 5 maps and developer wait 11 days, holding their customer in suspense about future content. Then it all turned out to be finished project. Game has placeholders for future dlc from day 1! They was prepared to suckMany bugs as stated earlier, since beta release most of people experience networking isuess, dropping connections, and worst of all LACK OF CONTENT. This game was released with 5 maps and developer wait 11 days, holding their customer in suspense about future content. Then it all turned out to be finished project. Game has placeholders for future dlc from day 1! They was prepared to suck you dry. Basic came is nothing more than framework with few demo maps where you can simply buy additional full content later!
    I was pretty sure EA days of milking people are over but now i can see not for overkill studio. OVERMILLK!
  58. Aug 23, 2013
    Even after a very large beta the game is still riddled with glitches and game breaking bugs, some skills just flat out don't work, and the development team is working on fixing things that aren't even urgent instead. The amount of content is EMBARRASSING and significantly less than what was advertised for the launch version, instead opting to hold back high tier and endgame missions forEven after a very large beta the game is still riddled with glitches and game breaking bugs, some skills just flat out don't work, and the development team is working on fixing things that aren't even urgent instead. The amount of content is EMBARRASSING and significantly less than what was advertised for the launch version, instead opting to hold back high tier and endgame missions for upcoming DLC considering the game had already began turning a profit before it even released. False advertising is the name of the game with Payday 2 as the advertised number of missions likes to count the same mission up to 5 or 6 times because of extremely minimal variations. The amount of content is pitiful and is held up by the crutch that is the game's RNG loot system which encourages farming and excessive play on the the tedious and short missions. to ensure maximum playtime. It's a Frankenstein of a game comprised of flatout broken mechanics and skills, unfulfilled promises, significantly sub-par missions (both quality and quantity wise) and I extremely regret paying 30$ for it. Overkill won't be getting another dime from me, and if you're smart you won't give them anything, either. Expand
  59. Aug 19, 2013
    Will attempt to keep this brief and to the point, but more important truthful. Payday 2 is an excellent purchase if you simply go for the $30 version and understand what you're getting. It will provide a generally enjoyable experience for up to 4 people in a party style casual game for up to 30-40 hours, which is a really great value. The majority of the issues with the game long term areWill attempt to keep this brief and to the point, but more important truthful. Payday 2 is an excellent purchase if you simply go for the $30 version and understand what you're getting. It will provide a generally enjoyable experience for up to 4 people in a party style casual game for up to 30-40 hours, which is a really great value. The majority of the issues with the game long term are a result of Overkill's misrepresentation of the product. To put it simply, it is not a $50 product nor should it be considered in the same league as other AAA products. You're essentially paying for an upgraded mod...

Cons:

- Repetitive heists that are often recycled. There is NOT 30 heists! No matter how you add up the levels, mathematically it doesn't come to 30 heists so ignore any interviews you read or see from Overkill stating otherwise. Additionally, they reuse many of the same maps with slight variations and call it an entirely new heist. They were either short staffed or extremely lazy, but you'll spot assets reused repeatedly on every level.

- Skill system was a great idea, but executed poorly. Certain skills are a complete waste while others are extremely overpowered. You are able to mix and match which skills you want among all 4 trees so people simply pickup the best ones, which leaves everyone the same and defeats the entire point of a skill system.

- The AI in this game is by far the worst AI I have ever experienced in any title I have played both for the opposition and teammates. There are no words to describe how bad the AI actually is. If you enjoy mindlessly shooting poorly scripted bots then it isn't as dire as I make it sound.

- Engine is extremely outdated. It would be tolerable if the game play was vastly superior to other titles, but it simply is not.

- Mission selection tool known as Crime.net is a colossal failure and will no doubt be used as a demonstration tool in courses as an example of what to avoid during your design phase. You sit around with 3 other friends waiting for the game to let you play the mission you all want to play. How this design got past being written down on paper much less implemented into the game is beyond comprehension.

- Horrible support and customer service. Almir, a developer at Overkill is often seen crying on the forums about people being negative. Negative about a product they purchased....Although I don't agree with customers acting like spoiled 12 year old infants I also find it professionally shameful to have an employee speak to the customer base in the manner in which he does. They're also too lazy to purchase and maintain their own official forums and use the Steam game forum to fill this void. The result is what you'd expect...

In closing, if interested purchase the $30 version and expect to get about 30-40 hours out of it. It's fun, but you can't take any of it seriously as it lacks any kind of depth. You're purchasing a MOD!
  60. Sep 13, 2013
    Deceptive sales practices are unforgiveable. This game lists itself as a single-player or multi-player game. It is not, in any way, possible to play this game single-player. It is impossible. This game is only, 100%, designed for co-op multiplayer. AI companions can not interact with anything, and it is necessary (not optional) to interact with things...like picking up loot, orDeceptive sales practices are unforgiveable. This game lists itself as a single-player or multi-player game. It is not, in any way, possible to play this game single-player. It is impossible. This game is only, 100%, designed for co-op multiplayer. AI companions can not interact with anything, and it is necessary (not optional) to interact with things...like picking up loot, or cracking a safe. There are other problems too, from a lack of content to unreasonable enemy AI (cops are superheroes who can see through walls and absorb hundreds of bullets). But lying about a single-player experience to trick people into buying the game is evil, and should be illegal. Expand
  61. Aug 23, 2013
    Great idea, would be tons of fun if... The game was not let down by the *worst* server browser (Crime.NET) ever made. A horrible XP curve that makes grinding very painful to level up. Loot system that makes you tear your hair out trying to get unlocks. And the worst of all, the devs keep patching the game to make grinding and missions longer with less rewards. The game is lacking inGreat idea, would be tons of fun if... The game was not let down by the *worst* server browser (Crime.NET) ever made. A horrible XP curve that makes grinding very painful to level up. Loot system that makes you tear your hair out trying to get unlocks. And the worst of all, the devs keep patching the game to make grinding and missions longer with less rewards. The game is lacking in content and features that were promised but then later "clarified" to be something different than advertised. Stealth is near worthless as the AI can detect through walls. Overall stay away from this game. Expand
  62. Aug 19, 2013
    Since developers are not answering on the bug reports pages and not fixing big issues like:
    - crashing steam
    - crash to desktop due to LUA unhandled exceptions
    - sound bugs
    - permanent connection issues for a lot of people at rush hour (you can't play more than 5 minutes, sometimes even 20 sec)

Well I guess a big negative score on metacritic will do the trick, simcity style.
  63. Aug 15, 2013
    so after dropping 30 bucks for this game i've learned that overkill hates improvement

a ton of the gameplay showed that payday 2 was a rushed out the bum game, things from the older game were removed like cloakers and some weapons,some customization not in the game, and worst of all a problem that haunts me and wants to make me go back in time to prevent myself from buying it the

the online didnt work for ****
    every single game i join either they cant connect to me or i cant connect to the host. overkill sure love using some peer 2 peer horse**** for its online making connection impossible
    AI is bat**** awful and i cant stress this enough, if your going to stealth then turn off ai because they are so stupid and dumb that they will do things such as shoot civillians, kill hostages, and ruin your stealth run by firing a bullet

IN ALL YOU PROBABLY SHOULDN'T BUY THIS GAME EVEN IF YOU THINK IT WILL RUN ON YOUR GODDAMN COMPUTER
  64. Oct 24, 2015
    Very fun game with loads of contents, all though after playing a long time it can be repetitive. If that happens get yourself 3 nice friends and have loads of fun running the heists co-op.

There has been loads of controversy around this game after the 4th Crimefest (Overkill makes an event of every year Payday2 has it's birthday) With microtransactions being added to the game as locked safes for weapons skins. These safes needs a key (drill) to open. That wouldn't be a problem for most people, but there is also stats boosts to these skins. Now how ever you feel about that this is a PVE game the stats boosts does not in anyway destroy your game. The stats boosts does not make you a god in anyway.

Overkill has since also backed down a bit on the microtransaction skins, and you now can also get the drill as a reward after a heist the same way you get the safe.

Now then would i recommend this game, i have played 1000 hours hell yes i would. In a group of friends it is one really fun co-op game.
  65. Aug 18, 2013
    The only reason why I'm giving this game any points at all is because its not 100% broken. This game crashes constantly in the middle of missions, has a horrible mission select screen which forces you to wait for hours for one mission to appear, has a community of brain-dead morons, and gets pretty boring after you realize that just about every mission has one of two objectives: Find bagsThe only reason why I'm giving this game any points at all is because its not 100% broken. This game crashes constantly in the middle of missions, has a horrible mission select screen which forces you to wait for hours for one mission to appear, has a community of brain-dead morons, and gets pretty boring after you realize that just about every mission has one of two objectives: Find bags and load them into a van or wait for a drill to finish and return to the van. This is an complete waste of money and I strongly advise you steer clear of this unfinished excuse of a game. Expand
  66. Aug 14, 2013
    The graphics aren't amazing, and it still lags a ton even in 800x600, and the same computer runs almost every game in at least 1280x768 with all settings high and no lag at all.
    I love Payday, but this game is just so optimized that I can't even play it.
    Still giving it a 1 because it LOOKS like a fun game.
  67. Aug 23, 2013
    Being a massive fan of the original and racking up 140 hours on it. I have to say that 40 hours into payday 2 and I have become very bored.
    I took part in the beta and was over the moon thinking this was a taste of things to come but unfortunately that was it (pretty much).
    The 'finished' game lacks the 17 heists that were promised (more like 10) and these heists can be done in a few minutes for the most part.
    The loot drop system is terrible if you want mods you have to grind to get any.
    The character progression practically stops dead at level 39 since you have unlocked everything in the game but the level cap is 100.
    In short just don't buy it.
    I know I wont be spending money on the 'dlc' yet another game company that likes to milk us gamers for every last penny.
  68. Aug 13, 2013
    Unfortunately connection drops too often, a problem for many players. We'd play offline, but the AI doesn't even carry the bags so you get shot down in mere seconds. The connectivity issue is a similar one to Payday 1.
  69. Aug 13, 2013
    Great game too bad its unplayable to its early release,cant join friends, cards lost after payday what a joke I have 8 guys on my teamspeak of which only 2 can play the game, everyone else is plagued by error after error. The release was pushed FORWARD 2 WEEKS and this is what happened, i would rather be in the beta still. wait until the cops come through the walls
  70. Aug 13, 2013
    An awesome game that gives a great experience that i had never felt for ages. Game has lots of replay value and can't wait for the DLC to come out! Game is great if you got some friends to play with.
  71. Aug 13, 2013
    Payday 2 is without a doubt a large improvement on the first game, it does everything better but still falls short out of being a real standout shooter that the concept should be.

The content is there, you have roughly 30+ mission to complete with AI or other players, a huge amount of guns and upgrades to unlock, customizable masks, talent trees, a hideout to decorate and several difficulties to choose from.

The missions have far greater variation, from bank jobs to attacking rival gangs, assassinations, cooking meth or escaping the FBI after an ambush in the getaway, none feel the same.

You can tackle most missions differently to suit your playstyle, you can try to be sneaky or go in all guns blazing and the success of each approach is can be affected by your loadout and talent choices, thankfully you can reset your talents at any time.

The biggest let down and real atmosphere killer are the visuals. The world is completely static, there is no movement in trees, no objects have physics, the engine feels dated,I can't help but imagine how amazing this game would be on the Cryengine.

The audio does it's job well, the music is once again excellent, creating tension and thrills where it is needed. The SFX are good but lack the quality of other FPS.

Is payday 2 worth it? If you're a fan of the first one then it is a big YES, if you're new to the payday franchise then it is just yes.
  72. ERB
    Aug 13, 2013
    An absolutely excellent game.The story is great,the graphics look good,and especially the game play or the shooter is awesome.This game is a lot of fun.I mean I played this game 4 times in a row and still I keep playing this because it is addicting and fun.So far this year this is one of the best games I played this year.So this game really deserves a high score.Good game!I like it.
  73. Aug 13, 2013
    Payday 2 is a massive improvement in every way over it's predecessor. This game is an absolute thrill when played cooperatively, with loads of content, especially when you consider it's reduced price tag. Make no mistake, this game is in NO WAY a single player game, and it doesn't even warrant to be reviewed as such. There is a single player aspect that was not originally intended to bePayday 2 is a massive improvement in every way over it's predecessor. This game is an absolute thrill when played cooperatively, with loads of content, especially when you consider it's reduced price tag. Make no mistake, this game is in NO WAY a single player game, and it doesn't even warrant to be reviewed as such. There is a single player aspect that was not originally intended to be added into the game, but was added due to fan feedback. Reviewers have bashed this optional component, which I feel is incredibly unwarranted. If this game were single player, it would receive a very low score, as the bot AI is mostly useless. Do NOT play this game for the Single Player. It's a fantastic game when played the way it was intended cooperatively. Expand
  74. Aug 13, 2013
    You are probably reading this to find out if you should buy this game or not. For the people who don't like to read, let me give you a quick answer: YES, you should buy it, unless you don't have internet acces.

Now let me explain you why I highly recommend this game: - Very well crafted, very ambitious, lots of content. - Cheap (30 euro), this game could easely go for the full

Now let me explain you why I highly recommend this game:

- Very well crafted, very ambitious, lots of content.
    - Cheap (30 euro), this game could easely go for the full price.
    - A studio who actually listens to the community, which noticeably improved the game compared to Payday: the heist.
    - Incredibly rewarding. It just feels really good getting rewarded for doing something bad (stealing). Lots to unlock and customize.
    - Highly replayable. Randomized levels and situations.
    - Great potential for DLC packs in the future. Which they already announced to release in the future.
    - EVERYTHING has improved compared the first Payday title.

Buy it, and support this title, I feel the studio deserved it.
  75. Aug 13, 2013
    Crazy cool game!! Game sounds crazy good and the rattle of a rifle when the robbery goes to hell makes me feel like I was in the final scene in the movie Heat. Buy it and discover just how fantastic a video game can be.
  76. Aug 13, 2013
    An awesome co-op game, was a really long time since I had this much fun co-op. It looks, feels and plays very well. Starbreeze has really stepped up their game with this game and brothers, who knows what the future holds.
  77. Aug 13, 2013
    So much fun coop. Huge improvement on the first one and the replay value is insane with the map changing geometry, I got 40 hours clocked up on just the 6 heists that are in the beta! For the price you pay you cant go wrong!
  78. Oct 17, 2015
    Added microtransactions on top of lots of dlc. Can't recomend it. We supported PD2 with dlc and loyalty for a long time but this is the drop that filled the glass OVK, failed promises of not adding this business model is as far as the comunity goes.
  79. Oct 26, 2015
    I have been playing PayDay 2 for about more than a year. Not obsessed, but I did enjoy it. Over, it was a fun coop heist game.

Now that has changed. Overkill was making more and more shady DLCs and now implemented micro-transactions into the game as part of a free reward. There were promises that this would never happen (check all this for yourself - plenty of stuff on this matter around).

Because of all this, I cannot recommend this game any longer. If you choose to still play this game and support Overkill, keep in mind that they will require more and more $ for each coming DLC (and without those you will feel more and more nerfed).
  80. Oct 26, 2015
    The game itself is fun, but now you need to mod it in order to return it to its old glory. Overkill sadly felt endless DLC wasn't making enough money so they went back on their word and added microtransactions. A broken promise would have been tolerable, but they also made it so that the items from said microtransactions added stat boosts, and at the same time they rebalanced all weapons,The game itself is fun, but now you need to mod it in order to return it to its old glory. Overkill sadly felt endless DLC wasn't making enough money so they went back on their word and added microtransactions. A broken promise would have been tolerable, but they also made it so that the items from said microtransactions added stat boosts, and at the same time they rebalanced all weapons, making many of them barely useful. You can even get a skin for a weapon you don't own.
    All this happened during a yearly event dedicated to free content.

I can't recommend this game anymore.
  81. Oct 26, 2015
    The developers are no longer trustworthy. Their business practices as of late have been atrocious. They contradicted themselves several times during the recent AMA. If they decide to apologize to the community and remove the pay-to-win aspect in some way, then maybe I will return this game and recommend it to others, but I foresee the business practices of the developers getting shadier asThe developers are no longer trustworthy. Their business practices as of late have been atrocious. They contradicted themselves several times during the recent AMA. If they decide to apologize to the community and remove the pay-to-win aspect in some way, then maybe I will return this game and recommend it to others, but I foresee the business practices of the developers getting shadier as time passes on. Expand
  82. Oct 26, 2015
    You so know why, might delete if it's change. It was great in the past. Put a lot of money on the DLCs, but randomized microtransaction is **** let the sink begins.
  83. Nov 13, 2015
    Microtransactions and then the damage control you go for is making those microtransactions result in skins that not only stat-boost, but now provide XP and money boosts? Get out of here with that **** You won't ever see another cent from me.
  84. Oct 26, 2015
    This game is a piece of trash and so is Overkill. They are a group of downright scumbags who bring shame to the entire industry and deserve to go bankrupt and force their employees to go down a different career path in life, for the benefit of humanity.
  85. Nov 12, 2015
    so ye they lied about microtransactions i guess they not making any money with all those dls that have come out **** u **** i guess they dont care about us
  86. Nov 13, 2015
    I started playing around June, played almost everyday for 2 months and had a great time. Game wasn't the best, a 7 at most, but it could still be fun as hell. Then the microtransactions came. I had not played the game by then for 2 weeks but that gave me the reason to uninstall, I dropped all the support for Overkill but I could see why people still played it, my personal score dropped toI started playing around June, played almost everyday for 2 months and had a great time. Game wasn't the best, a 7 at most, but it could still be fun as hell. Then the microtransactions came. I had not played the game by then for 2 weeks but that gave me the reason to uninstall, I dropped all the support for Overkill but I could see why people still played it, my personal score dropped to 3.
    Now they add XP and $ boosts like those you'll find in games like Warframe. Why is this bad? Because we're talking about a game that has over $100 worth of DLC's, which are often necessary to play the game because the default weapons are obsolete. Adding microtransactions that affect stats to a game that already have DLC's that affect stats and cost $15, to further add more microtransactions and pay2win boosts means only one thing: Overkill is blinded with greed, and for this exact reason players should let them drown in it. I won't tell you to stop playing the game, but don't buy anything else from them.
    I don't like extremely greedy companies, hence my personal score.
  87. Nov 12, 2015
    wait so we supposed to ignore u saying microtransactions would never be in the game? Is releasing dlc every week not making u enough money.
    It was a good game, put alot of hours into it. yet another company who couldent give a ****
  88. Nov 12, 2015
    shove your microtransactions up your fat lying ass. this was a good game think i put in like 150 hours. the 200 million dlc wore a bit thin buy hey atleast no micro transactions........ ye not any more
  89. Nov 11, 2015
    micro transactions have killed the game I once loved,now its full of spoilt kids spending their parents money and overgreed think its the way the game should go.
  90. Nov 12, 2015
    I spent 170$ on DLC and copies for my friends. I spent 400 hours playing this game, it was worth it then.

Now, it is pay to win and the game has been ruined for me and all of my friends. Don't bother with this game.
  91. Nov 13, 2015
    "We've made it clear that PAYDAY 2 will have no micro-transactions whatsoever (shame on you if you thought otherwise!)"

Well, who is to be ashamed now?
  92. Nov 13, 2015
    You are paying for the game , you are paying for the unlimited number of DLCs and then you pay for microtransactions aswell... Nope , stay the hell away from it!!
  93. Nov 13, 2015
    Do not buy this game.... is a scam.... we paid 20 dollars for a dlc that was a scam (COP)....also they promised not to put microtransactions in the game.... was a lie, because they did... Payday 2 was a good game....
  94. Nov 13, 2015
    The biggest pile of shonk I have ever had the displeasure of playing -- The game itself is rather fun but the business practices are a prime example of the dangerous trends that should never be able to be active in the gaming industry. Avoid this, avoid the 5000 DLCs tied to it and definitely avoid the stupid half-baked ugly ass skins.
  95. Nov 13, 2015
    It's astounding how the developers could simply state that they would never have any microtransactions and then do a 180 and give the middle finger to the fans who have been supporting them throughout the entire life cycle of their first and second game. I tried waiting throughout this crimefest storm, thinking that they would fix it or that they would go back and remove this terribleIt's astounding how the developers could simply state that they would never have any microtransactions and then do a 180 and give the middle finger to the fans who have been supporting them throughout the entire life cycle of their first and second game. I tried waiting throughout this crimefest storm, thinking that they would fix it or that they would go back and remove this terrible microtransaction system. And then they released the Completely Overkill pack (content we've waited for almost a year for) and what is it? MORE SKINS. So I'm done, and this game is officially dead to me. Expand
  96. Nov 9, 2015
    So here's the deal. The game has some cool stuff going for it. Lots of guns, great soundtrack, really satisfying shooting and an awesome heist movie aesthetic that really tickles my jimmies. The first few games with friends or with strangers are going to feel really cool and immersive. But the cracks really start to show fast and repetition sets before long. Make no mistake: this is a gameSo here's the deal. The game has some cool stuff going for it. Lots of guns, great soundtrack, really satisfying shooting and an awesome heist movie aesthetic that really tickles my jimmies. The first few games with friends or with strangers are going to feel really cool and immersive. But the cracks really start to show fast and repetition sets before long. Make no mistake: this is a game about grinding, and is designed to encourage it in every way.

The scale of time versus reward when playing on a moderate difficulty or just playing less rewarding heists is stupidly low, so it quickly becomes a game of identifying the best levels to grind and playing nothing but those. Equipment variety is tossed out the window if it doesn't help you complete those specific heists faster, and the community expects you to be on board with this. Sure you're not required to grind, but you'll find that not only are fewer people willing to play with you, it takes an agonizingly long time to acquire what you want.

And this is of course because the drop system is ridiculous and designed to make the game last way longer than it should. Weapon mods are awarded randomly and might not be for the weapon you want. Plus they require cash to attach... and then more cash to attach again if you swap them out for another. Mask customization materials are one-use only and also random. Everything is stretched out and limited that it almost feels like playing a free-to-play game that's nudging you towards microtransactions. More on those later.

But none of this is a deal-breaker for me yet. I don't mind a bit of mindless grinding. It's always been a game I play on the side of whatever else I'm actually playing, something where I don't have to think much and can just pull the trigger a lot. And it does get to be a lot of fun with friends for a while, especially when you're coordinating and pulling things off smoothly, especially the stealth approach, even if the stealth system is silly as hell.

I honestly don't mind a lot of DLC when I like a game. There is some really dumb and overpriced add-on content for sale with this game, and overall it's spread out over way too many different packs, each containing very little, but I've bought most of it anyway to support a game I was enjoying. The DLC situation has got worse and worse over time too, becoming less interesting with each release and coming more frequently. The heists are always fun and impressive, though there isn't a lot of game time with each one, and the weapon packs vary from useful and almost required for high-level play to utterly useless for anything but novelty.

I've shrugged off a lot of crap over the years with this game, still playing it and defending it despite how dumb it acts sometimes. The buggy and unpolished nature, the emphasis on constant grind, the excessive dlc, and of course just how braindead it actually is despite disguising itself as a sophisticated heist simulator. Weapon packs were fine. Character packs were fine. I've been consistently disappointed in the lack of actual upgrades and tweaking for the main game in favour of paid content, but tweaks don't pay the bills, I get it. It's not helped when the developers act obnoxiously "cool" and quote memes while they sell their new DLC and act like everything they do to the game is a huge favour, but I don't have to like the developers to like their game. At least they hadn't fallen victim to any F2P temptation yet.

But they finally did it. Rather than try to maintain the illusion that they were a cool, rebellious little studio that would never give in to mainstream pressures, microtransactions have arrived. Not only that, but they're not simply for aesthetic rewards either, but actually have gameplay effects. Even with the addition of rare free safe drops this has already broken the already very thin goodwill I had left for this company and I am very unlikely to support any of their future projects ever again. They've strung me along nicely so far and wrung money out of me as I continued to come back to their strangely addictive gunwank, but I'm done.

In short, this game was pretty fun for quite a while, but has gradually declined in quality over time. In its current state, there could not possibly be a worse time than now to get into this game if you haven't already. You missed the train and it's not coming back. Just keep moving. Nothing to see here.
  97. Oct 28, 2015
    With Overkill's most recent offense during Crimefest 2015, there was not even a major effort toward a roundabout attempt to cover their tracks with a technicality. They have lied through their teeth.

A symbiotic relationship between a community and developer is possible. A community can provide response, the developer can release content -free or paid- that is based on the community’s interest, and both sides are satisfied. However, it is insulting to think Overkill believes they can continue to get away with such malpractice like they have while maintaining a happy and satisfied community.

This is exactly the problem; they do not care about your satisfaction, reader. They have done nothing to prove otherwise.

A reward system is ineffectual when a developer doesn’t care to meet the community halfway.

Free content given amounts to nothing when its developer’s motives lie at odds with a community’s general interest.

Promises of any type of future are meaningless when promises of the past are broken.

As a final note, I am addressing those responsible for these recent actions when I say: I believe your “free to pay” mentality is toxic. E.g., by participating in community challenges, we as a community are now “free” to “pay” for game affecting upgrades. I wish to see this game succeed, and its community flourish in a healthy way. Because of that, I am also willing to listen to reason. However, you have made it difficult for me to find a single positive aspect of these newest updates. Developers and their communities are one single system. Nevertheless, Overkill's outlook is unsustainable for a healthy developer/community relationship, but you already know this. If you don't understand what I'm implying, I will put it bluntly. You, as a company, are killing yourselves.
  98. Oct 28, 2015
    After +$100 of DLC and numerous broken promises and dreams, Overkill is now happy to introduce the much sought after FREE microtransactions update.

Featuring:
    Steam market introduction
    Weapon crates safes
    One-time use keys drills, for a mere $2.49
    Weapon skins with better stats
    Soul crushing disappointment

Keep that money flowing :(
  99. Oct 28, 2015
    Went back on their word when it comes to microtransactions, then proceeded to paint themselves as the victim while shaming the community for having backlash. Also, weapon balance has been completely ruined with no timeline on when it will be fixed. Speaking of timelines, many features that have been promised, including some that had been promised BEFORE THE GAME EVEN CAME OUT are STILL notWent back on their word when it comes to microtransactions, then proceeded to paint themselves as the victim while shaming the community for having backlash. Also, weapon balance has been completely ruined with no timeline on when it will be fixed. Speaking of timelines, many features that have been promised, including some that had been promised BEFORE THE GAME EVEN CAME OUT are STILL not in the game. While the core gameplay is fun, the experience is greatly enhanced when you have DLC's... of which there is around $120. Do not trust Overkill with your money, or with the fact that they will ever listen to their customers. Because spoiler alert: they won't.

TL;DR
    Overkill has proven time and time again that they are not to be trusted when it comes to promises. They have also proven that they will never listen to their customers. DO NOT trust them with your hard-earned money under any circumstances.
  100. Nov 8, 2015
    To new gamers, it's very important that you disregard any review that's too old, since it won't reflect the actual status of the game, it includes probably all the professional reviews.
    After playing the Payday 2 since launch and see it slowly degrade the game play, that initially was perfect and well rounded, I'm very sad to see what happen to this game.
    In the beginning the game was
    In the beginning the game was about aiming carefully to conserve ammo, stick together to kill the specials and do the objectives, with the DLCs and free updates (explosive ammo, akimbos, critical hits (why do we need criticals on a action game???), snipers, RPGs) the game became just another hack and slash, you'd hardly end up without ammo and only an cloacker would be a threat (kind of).
    The game became unispired and not about the player skills and team play, just about pray and spray or one shot kill tactics, the maps wasn't balanced in the experience rewards, very easy maps like Hoxton Breakout would give way more xp and money than a longer/harder mission like framing frame/firestarter, what transform the game in an infinite repetition of the same job.
    The last nail on the payday coffin was the microtransactions, they are not just about cosmetic items (what I wouldn't like either, but would understand), but items that actually improve the performance.
    As it wasn't enough, my AK rifle with DMR, that before was doing around 100 damage is now in the 180 damage, the skill necessary to play the game is now officially ZERO.

1. Oct 9, 2013
    PayDay 2 is one of the nicest surprises of the year. Overkill Software understands the atmosphere of gangster movies and wisely improves these pieces of gameplay, that might have been disappointing in the first game. The sequel is better in almost every way - you can play a thief and enjoy good character development and shooting systems. I really hope, that PayDay 3 will be even better.
  2. Pelit (Finland)
    Oct 5, 2013
    Payday 2 is an excellent co-op shooter - a vast improvement over the first one. [Sept 2013]
  3. Hyper Magazine
    Oct 3, 2013
    A unique and captivating multiplayer experience that rewards team work over personal glory. But make sure you bring friends for the true experience. [Nov 2013, p.62]