Penny Arcade Adventures: Episode Three PC

7.3

1. Jun 27, 2012
    Review:
    This game will scare quite a few people after both the general change in graphic since the 2 first games, as well as being an homage to the older days. It's indeed fixated on a smaller group of people that one will normally see, in other words, either Penny Arcade fans or JRPG fans of the older titles, more specifically, Final Fantasy V - VI, Grandia etc.
    This should by all means
    Review:
    This should by all means not scare one away from this humorous voyage with Tycho and Gabe, which is surprisingly fresh beat and modern, despite its roots. The game is based around a modern day JRPG turn based combat system, which in many ways feels as fresh as the combat did in Final Fantasy XIII. Gone is item management, having to rest after a fight and a grand penalty for loosing a fight. The fights are not as much tactical, as a puzzle, where you just have to fit in the right pieces to pierce your enemies defense and finish him in a timely fashion, before the bonus power overwhelms your own heroes. This will of course hurt some older fans, as it also removes much of the grinding approach to the game (Though it's still possible to grind both XP and Gold through various mechanics in the game), making it a more streamlined game with higher focus on the story. And here is where the game shines even more brightly. The story seems to have gotten a much higher focus than it had in the previous incarnations of the Penny Arcade franchise. The story and writing is humorous to say the least and will have most people giggle or even laugh out loud at times (or simply making me facepalm for the sheer stupidity, not saying that's a bad reaction though). The story does sadly break the pacing of the games at times as you're easily sitting in a state where you wanna continue with the fights and see what the next group of enemies brings, but don't wanna skip in the dialogue, given it's here all important notes and hints are given. The general pacing is sadly very much based around if you like Penny Arcades quirmy humor or not, as it will downgrade the gaming experience by a small amount. That said, even if one don't find Penny Arcade to be entertaining, the games story is still well versed and put together and will keep the all fantasy fans entertained and enthralled in the world of New Arcadia. Which brings us to the last point. Never have I seen the sheer amount of creativity and detail that went into the enemies as in Rain-Slick 3. The amount of enemies is amazing in sheer numbers and you're rarely left fighting the same enemies for hours. They each have their own little quirks and tactics you're often forced to learn in the heat of battle and adapt to, rising the pace and entertainment value.

+ Points:
    Entertaining combat system which has evolved with time
    Amazing class/job system, which a huge array of tactics and combinations to satisfy even the most hardcore gamer
    Well thought out and at times extremely entertaining story and dialogues
    Insane creativity and amount of enemies in the game, rivaling that of even newer FF games in sheer size, even with its much shorter story
    Good price for an entertaining piece of game history

- Points:
    Music ends up repetitive and is generally too short, ending in too much looped music
    Gameplay can end up repetitive and is only saved by the sheer number of classes.
    Lack of more modern tools in games, like auto save function, voice acting etc.
    Rather short length (6 - 10 hours of story gameplay, depending on speed)

Verdict:
    Presentation - 10 (Well thought out world, with well written dialogue which is both deep and entertaining)
    Graphic - 8 (True to its roots with well made pixel art which resembles that of FFVI)
    Sound - 6 (Music is well written, but sadly ends in a lot of looping, due to missing longer numbers. Without voice acting and a limited amount of ingame sounds, it becomes very repetitive after 5 hours)
    Gameplay - 10 (Surprisingly modern and class system will keep most entertained for hours to come)
    Replaybility - 9 (The game does give at least another playtrough solely for its entertaining difficulty, but this is mostly based on its short cost aswell, making it a fairly lasting appeal)

Verdict - 9

Closing Notes:
    The game is well thought out and at an amazing price. People should not be scared by the retro look but delve into this insane and well made adventure which will take most people back to the roots of the early SNES days. Playing Rain-Slick 3 quickly end with a one way trip to play the old classics aswell, where one is easily surprised by the amount of attention to detail Zeboyd Games have given to this little treasure of theirs. No-one should be cheated from this game and with promises of DLC arriving to the game, free of charge, it's like christmas in June.

Reviewer has completed the game on Hard difficulty before writing this review
  2. Jun 26, 2012
    There's been a lot of hate flying around for this game because of the new graphics style and gameplay mechanics, but I'm going to judge this based on what it is, not what it isn't. Of course, it's very different in terms of gameplay from episodes 1 and 2, and the previous engine offered a more immersive experience, but episode 3 maintains the most important feature: the writing. It'sThere's been a lot of hate flying around for this game because of the new graphics style and gameplay mechanics, but I'm going to judge this based on what it is, not what it isn't. Of course, it's very different in terms of gameplay from episodes 1 and 2, and the previous engine offered a more immersive experience, but episode 3 maintains the most important feature: the writing. It's placement of insanity in an otherwise mundane setting and dialogue, the ingenious writing that is both crude and razor-sharp at the same time, left me wanting to keep on playing just to see what the characters said next. Few games have managed to achieve this.

The gameplay evolves upon Cthulhu Saves the World and Breath of Death VII, offering a more diverse selection. The combat system is reminiscent of the old final fantasy games, as are the graphics, and it give the proper respect it deserves. It's fun, engaging and, most importantly, is capable of offering an actual challenge.

It'll last maybe 6 to 8 hours on normal difficulty, and is quite a bit more entertaining than most AAA games, so at it's current price, mortal means do not allow me to express how much I recommend buying this game.
  3. Jun 27, 2012
    I very much enjoyed the first two Games, With the exception of the omission of Catsby and Twist. The new 16-bit style was a bit of a shock even after a month's advanced notice and screenshots. I the game feels like an exceptional value. The Gameplay is very reminiscent of the 16 JRPG "Glory Days" but with several striking improvements. With Health regen being complete after everyI very much enjoyed the first two Games, With the exception of the omission of Catsby and Twist. The new 16-bit style was a bit of a shock even after a month's advanced notice and screenshots. I the game feels like an exceptional value. The Gameplay is very reminiscent of the 16 JRPG "Glory Days" but with several striking improvements. With Health regen being complete after every fight, and Items being on a "uses per battle" they managed to make a Game very "JRPG" in feeling, but without the Grinding, and the risk management inventory. Those features make this game hit the nostalgia pleasure center in the brain without reminding some of us of the parts we didn't like about JRPGs: Like the 12 hour Grinding sessions for money, or Realizing the Thief will simply never be good in FF 1, right after You finish lighting up the fourth orb. The Writing is excellent, the humor is still true to the source material, and the character combinations are a scream. I am a firm believer in getting the Value out of every purchase, and for the money, I feel I did several times over. Your Mileage may of course Vary, but I can assure you that you will find the Value. Think About (Insert $50-$60 dollar game you purchased) and what a disappointment it was. Heck, I got a free Copy of Dragon Age 2 and I still feel like I overpaid. In Conclusion, It is a well put together Game that is easily worth the cost, and is fun to play. Expand
  4. Nov 8, 2012
    I really love this game series and I have played all three of these games through and through. But this game is just too different from the last two, and unfortunately, it's not a very good thing. The biggest and most major difference is the style of the game. I actually loved the comic look style that the last two games had, but this game takes form of a 16-bit style game. As much as II really love this game series and I have played all three of these games through and through. But this game is just too different from the last two, and unfortunately, it's not a very good thing. The biggest and most major difference is the style of the game. I actually loved the comic look style that the last two games had, but this game takes form of a 16-bit style game. As much as I don't have a problem with this sort of style, its been really overdone. On top of that, this game is no where near as funny as the last two games. Not once did I even chuckle at the ridiculousness of the story. In fact, I don't even remember the story at all. I barely even remember playing the game, because I just kept thinking to myself "please let this end soon." Even despite all these problems, the game is still somewhat fun to play and shows some interesting mechanics, it just gets old really quick. And I mean, really quick. If your a big fan of the series then go for it, but otherwise just ignore this title. Expand
  5. Jul 5, 2012
    As a fan of old school Final Fantasy / Dragon Warrior style RPGs, I had a blast with this game... all and all it lasted me about 11 hours of game play (which is decent for a 5$ game), not a moment of which I didn't enjoy. They took the best aspects of the old games (thinking about what an enemy might be weak against, tweaking classes and equipment, etc) and removed some of the garbageAs a fan of old school Final Fantasy / Dragon Warrior style RPGs, I had a blast with this game... all and all it lasted me about 11 hours of game play (which is decent for a 5$ game), not a moment of which I didn't enjoy. They took the best aspects of the old games (thinking about what an enemy might be weak against, tweaking classes and equipment, etc) and removed some of the garbage (having to stop and heal after EVERY fight... having to constantly re-purchase consumables... etc).

Would highly recommend this to anyone who grew up on NES/SNES RPGs. Well worth the price of admission.
  6. Sep 3, 2012
    Penny Arcade's On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness franchise has faced problems in the past, add into the fact that the game's development has now been passed on to a different company and you have yourself an interesting predicament. The major differences from Penny Arcade's On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness 3 to the rest of the games in the franchise is going from a 3DPenny Arcade's On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness franchise has faced problems in the past, add into the fact that the game's development has now been passed on to a different company and you have yourself an interesting predicament. The major differences from Penny Arcade's On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness 3 to the rest of the games in the franchise is going from a 3D adventure RPG to classic style, 16-bit era console RPG. Unlike the previous two games, you, as a player do not directly participate as a character, as you did the last two games. The graphics are "good" for the game, anyone knows that at the end of their life span, the Super Nintendo put out some truly mesmerizing 16-bit RPGs, some of the best art I have ever seen in that era of gaming. Unfortunately this game isn't one of them, it's a mix between Final Fantasy 5 and Final Fantasy 6. The art isn't terrible, but it could have been a lot better. It kind of reminds me of those cheap RPG Maker games. The combat is generally slow and tedious, I constantly find myself wishing there was a way to fast-forward though the fights. They try to make it more interesting by adding random rules to some fights, like double damage, or "everyone starts off with 7 mp", but in the end, it doesn't really add to the gameplay.

The game has shops in this version, but everything is so expensive, you won't find yourself going there very often. Unlike a lot of RPGs in the era they are trying to replicate, there are very few items. Many classic RPGs in the early and late 90's had tons of items to collect, buy and sell. In this one, you get, a dozen, at best.

There is a class system, but I find myself using the same classes over and over again. They try to be funny and unique with their concept of classes, but a lot of the times, I find myself just asking "why?". A lot of the character classes are really almost non-functional. You level up in this game, but not as the characters. Your base stats stay the same, instead you level up classes as you progress through the game by collecting experience points, this unlocks new skills and abilities. In order to actually enhance base stats at all, you have to collect items, which are few, far between and crazy expensive. It gives the feeling of character growth a very slow and tedious task.

The game is also really, really linear. There are a very few sparse spots where you can travel off the beaten path, for a few moments, but it all quickly leads back to the main game. I feel like I am being forced at gun point to progress the main story and just get it over with. Does anyone else remember the engrossing games of the 16-bit era with multiple stories, multiple endings, and all of the extra stuff you could do?

In the end, it's a pretty basic RPG, they try to do some things to spice the game up, but it just isn't doing it for me. In trying to replicate the concept of a classic 16-bit RPG, they actually emulated the bottom of the barrel RPGs, they did a mediocre job and produced a mediocre RPG. They could have done a lot more with it, they just didn't.
  7. Jul 14, 2012
    For $5 this game is an absolute steal. It comes with two other (very similar) games also. Old-school JRPG fans should find this to be a novel take on the genre. If you are not into JRPG then this may be a bit weird. The writing is freaking HILARIOUS, although at one point in the plot near the end I became utterly lost. Won't spoil anything but there was some kind of twist that I stillFor $5 this game is an absolute steal. It comes with two other (very similar) games also. Old-school JRPG fans should find this to be a novel take on the genre. If you are not into JRPG then this may be a bit weird. The writing is freaking HILARIOUS, although at one point in the plot near the end I became utterly lost. Won't spoil anything but there was some kind of twist that I still don't comprehend what happened or why.

Gameplay-wise, compared to other JRPGs this is especially slow. EVERY fight, even minor ones, seemed to involve tons of build up. Unlike other games, you don't start with a big pool of MP you then use to cast spells. Instead, you start with 0 MP (by default), and earn 1 MP at each round start. So basically you have to save up MP if you want to cast big spells. Interesting system, but it severely slows the early game (beginning of battles I mean) in favor of REALLY INCREDIBLY over-powering you in the end-game (end of each battle). By the time all your preparations in the early game pay off, the fight becomes completely trivial and dull.

Nevertheless, this game is still better than most modern RPG's in my opinion.

For the price, I would not pass this up.
  8. Jul 3, 2012
    I was surprised at how much I am enjoying this game. The retro graphics and JRPG gameplay are very fun, and the improvements they have made to cut back on item micromanagement makes the the game keep a smooth pace. I love having my party auto heal after every battle, and I love the items being used on a per battle basis. The writing is entertaining. I'm about 3-4 hours in and am happy toI was surprised at how much I am enjoying this game. The retro graphics and JRPG gameplay are very fun, and the improvements they have made to cut back on item micromanagement makes the the game keep a smooth pace. I love having my party auto heal after every battle, and I love the items being used on a per battle basis. The writing is entertaining. I'm about 3-4 hours in and am happy to have picked this up. Expand
  9. Jul 30, 2013
    This game is a classic Japanese-style turn-based RPG featuring writing from the creators of Penny Arcade. You control 20's-style detective versions of Tycho and Gabe as they solve the latest paranormal mystery.

Entries 1 and 2 in this series were made by a different developer, and from what I've played of Episode 1, I think that this episode is a much better starting place... it's a lot more fun. Zeboyd Games specializes in making classic RPG combat fun again, and this game features another amazing battle system. It's a classic formula that's not only nostalgic to those who have played early Final Fantasy games, but the strategy is a lot deeper. The battles get very repetitive once you've figured out your strategy, though.

The graphics are really well-done, though the sprites are borrowed heavily from FF6. The music is pretty nice, though I would've like a longer battle theme. Though the humor is very strong in this game, the story's a little weak. There's not much actual plot... it's just very drawn out.

If you like classic RPGs, get this game, along with every other Zeboyd Games title. This game's humor is also a great reason to pick this up. If you never cared much for turn-based RPGs in general, then this one probably won't convince you. If this is your type of game, the price is definitely right... there's a lot of content here for $5.
  10. Dec 19, 2012
    As a big fan of 16bit JRPGs this game brought me a lot of joy. It was really a fantastic entry and featured a lot of cool and unique classes (jobs for you Final Fantasy players) which can be mixed and matched for a large number of character/class combinations. This game is also entirely independent of the previous 2 episodes and provides a perfect place for jumping in. The classes are eachAs a big fan of 16bit JRPGs this game brought me a lot of joy. It was really a fantastic entry and featured a lot of cool and unique classes (jobs for you Final Fantasy players) which can be mixed and matched for a large number of character/class combinations. This game is also entirely independent of the previous 2 episodes and provides a perfect place for jumping in. The classes are each very unique, ranging from a "tank" class which allows a character to taunt and draw aggro from enemies while their allies do massive damage, to a class which allows your character to transform in to various dinosaurs. The characters and enemies are all very well designed as well.

On to my gripes; the game is insanely easy for the most part. If you know what you're doing then you shouldn't lose to any boss more than once. If you do get stuck however, there is a problem. There is a finite number of battles, which means you can't grind to higher levels and make the game easier for yourself. Another problem, the game is incredibly linear. If you were looking for a Squaresoft-type world map, then you'll be sorely disappointed, the game is pretty much on rails. Because it is so linear, it is also very short, I finished it in under 11 hours.

That being said, the game is incredibly polished, and if you take it for what it is, it is a fun adventure. The game just got its first DLC (which I have yet to try.) Supposedly the game will continue receiving regular updates, so if you're worried about the short game length, that might change in the coming months. At a 5USD price point, it is well worth it.
  11. Apr 20, 2013
    This game is amazing, it's willing to stand out from the crowd and be something different to other games on the market. This game takes everything RPG's have in the modern world and throws it out the window, and instead of what we would expect a modern RPG to be like, it gives us something a whole world better, The only downside to this game is that it can get repetitive, but all RPGs likeThis game is amazing, it's willing to stand out from the crowd and be something different to other games on the market. This game takes everything RPG's have in the modern world and throws it out the window, and instead of what we would expect a modern RPG to be like, it gives us something a whole world better, The only downside to this game is that it can get repetitive, but all RPGs like this do after a while. Yay for indie games Expand
  12. Jun 9, 2013
    There's something about this game... I just can't stop playing. Retro RPG, funny dialogue, senseless battles... (a dinosaur in a suit, a guy in a walrus)
    For the price it is, it's a experience you should not miss.
  13. Dec 3, 2014
    I was waiting for decades for a good game that will give me a Final Fantasy 6 feeling.This is it.It has also Cthulhu mythology intergrated.The game is fun.I give it a general score of 95 because I reserve the 100 for penny Arcade 4 which is even better.

1. Nov 12, 2012
    If you're at all interested in Penny Arcade, retro RPG's, or tranforming into a dinosaur, it's hard to go wrong with this one.
  2. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Oct 10, 2012
    Devilishly great RPG accessible to everyone – it maybe reminds of the greatest hits back in 90s but its playability is still modern. [Sept 2012]
  3. PC Master (Greece)
    Aug 31, 2012
    Sporting brilliant, nerdcore humor that burns everything, from the Cthulhu mythology to internet fanboyism, a sinister yet pleasantly modernized combat system, a low price and 8-to-10 hours of pure, crazy gameplay, it was made with a sense of dark love for every soul out there, that still has a 20-side die… and is not afraid to use it. [August 2012]