Pineapple Smash Crew PC

7.5

1. Feb 5, 2012
    This game is very, VERY good. It is one of the best top-down shooters I have ever played. The game's core mechanics involves grenades. When you level up via collecting experience cubes found in boxes, you get to choose between two random grenades. Each time you play through and each time you level up, your choices for grenades will be different. The mechanic for grenades involves throwingThis game is very, VERY good. It is one of the best top-down shooters I have ever played. The game's core mechanics involves grenades. When you level up via collecting experience cubes found in boxes, you get to choose between two random grenades. Each time you play through and each time you level up, your choices for grenades will be different. The mechanic for grenades involves throwing it, then detonating it afterwards. Some grenades require you to aim them, others might give you an advantage instead of harming the enemy, etc. Although beating the game takes only a couple of hours, the fact that all levels are randomly generated adds to the replayability. Each time you beat a level, you get to pick from a set of 3-5 other levels. You can pick only the easiest levels to breeze through or only the hardest for a challenge. If one of your mercenaries dies, you get a new, lower level merc at the end. The game punishes you by losing not by completely ending the game, but by making it harder to progress. On the level where that merc died, you will lose one grenade slot as well as the firepower he provided. Furthermore, your new merc will start at level 0, making him weak and therefore more likely to die. It is also worth mentioning that not only is this game made by a single person (alias: RickMakeGame) but it is also his debut game in the indie setting. The soundtrack is also amazing. All in all, since it's only 9.99$ on Steam, I highly recommend this game. Expand
  2. Feb 10, 2012
    Brilliant. Simply brilliant. Don't even bother reading a long review, just get this game now. Everything about it is perfect. Great game, great price, made by a single man, what's not to love?
  3. May 23, 2015
    I thing this is one of the good cheap games. I really have fun when i play this game, its : easy, funny, and nice soundtrack included in Pineapple Smash Crew. 10/10
  4. Nov 4, 2015
    OVERALL = 9 :
    The dynamics in the game work, the game is pleasing to play, and the gun play and weapons work together surprisingly well to create an engaging and rewarding top down shooter from the 16 bit era which is fast and frantic(As another reviewer rightfully describes it as). The Music is also excellent.
    For what this game is, it is really good! A couple of let downs are in
    OVERALL = 9 :
    For what this game is, it is really good!

A couple of let downs are in the game design, but these are not really an issue as the main game has plenty to bring to the table to make an engaging and pleasant (and not too time consuming(compare 'turn based strategy' as the opposite as a 'time consuming experience')) experience.

Graphics = 7 :
    For an indie game, this does look very pleasing. It looks like a Snes version of the 16bit era game "Phantasy Star 2" as a top down shooter rather than a RPG... Though there could be a little more variation, perhaps my criticism stems from game design rather than Anything else( i.e Most of the game is in a ship of some type); it's pretty decent though for what it is.

Sound = 7 :
    Sounds are ok and do the job, nothing more. However, it doesn't sound unfinished either, its decent.

Music = 10 :
    Cyphus is a legend for a reason , I could crack this on my mp3 player with other electronica and perhaps metal I listen to...

Game-play = 10 :
    This is a simple but very effective and addictive game(When you have gotten into it). I would say 8 but it feels nice and a pleasure to play for starters : i.e. 8, however, you cannot ignore how well the simpler mechanics come together to make this a great experience (i.e. the maps, the timing system, the mobs(and there are quite a lot of them) and the weapon types(simple as they are, they work well together).

Its also worth mentioning that the Game difficulty appears to offer a challenge in the later hours of play. Simple changes in various dynamics have created a decent challenge that keeps the game engaging and does not allow you to play the same game you played on easy. Good Game-play is why I play games!

I will add that my opinion stems from wanting to play the game that Pineapple Smash Crew has presented to me: the idea of running through massive levels and trying to keep my team alive before the radiation leak starts, to me works well with the flow of the game: the weapons and fighting, as well as the navigation; and this is why I enjoyed it.

Game design = 6 :
    This works, go into ship then leave, go into then ship leave. However, a lot more could have been done and it seems like the developer left out some content and I can understand that to some people that some levels seem 'Samey'. I personally think that I cant say the game suffers too much...

However, If it set out to do more than it did for an indie development then this would be a real Gem that beats AAA releases. But Ambitiousness could have has left the dev feeling bewildered and it disallowed them to complete their plan.

Retrospective of this though, the dev chose wisely to make a game that had a few solid and well done elements, rather than making a larger game with many mediocre elements (which it is not).whcih I will add is very much like many industry games are like today.
  5. Feb 10, 2012
    Wow. Just... wow. There is nothing this game does poorly. Nothing at all. Plus, it was made by just one person, AND it was his debut game. It only makes the game so much better.
  6. Apr 3, 2012
    The only real complaint I have about this game is the gameplay gets a little repetitive. Aside from that, the gameplay is very smooth, Syphus made a solid soundtrack, and the game is generally well done. There is a leveling-up system as well. I'm surprised the critic reviews were less favorable, but I highly recommend this to those who enjoy arcade-style shooters, or retro games like Gauntlet.
  7. Apr 25, 2012
    Rich games brings forth a well executed arcade title. The music is decent and the gameplay entertaining, even though it is kind of repetetive. So you just blast your way through random generated spaceships. Yes, it is pretty short but you have to take it as what is is: An arcade title. Also there wil be updates, as mentioned by Rich Games. It is worth a look anyways.

1. Apr 28, 2012
    Indie-game Pineapple Smash Crew tries to be a bit too old-school, and therefore lacks innovation and an interesting or challenging gameplay experience.
  2. Apr 16, 2012
    Pineapple Smash Crew's weapons are by far its strongest point, an arsenal well engineered enough to support a much more intense game. Here they're wasted on a shooter that starts slowly and never speeds up, with solid foundations but nothing on top.
  3. PC Gamer
    Mar 21, 2012
    If you like to set your own goals and don't need a high-score table to know you're having fun, then Pineapple Smash Crew is well worth the $10. [May 2012, p.81]