Planescape: Torment PC

9.2

1. Apr 2, 2017
    Possibly the greatest RPG game ever. Amazing story, great characters, outstanding writing. 17 years later, i'm still playing this game from time to time. Classic.
  2. Mar 13, 2017
    This game is seriously awesome. It has probably the best story i've ever seen in a game, which is partly due to the fact that the hero isnt your typical make the sun shine and everyone hold hands and sing at the end type of guy. If you're looking for an rpg with some originality, great humor, and one hell of a story, pick this up.
  3. Mar 4, 2017
    Planescape: Torment is an amazing game and the first CRPG I have ever played. The world is magical. It has the atmosphere that reminds me the cyberpunk genre. The game is not very hard, it was challenging at times but in the end I always beat the encounters when I think of a strategy. It has been a year since I completed the game but I still now every character and plotelement, and everyPlanescape: Torment is an amazing game and the first CRPG I have ever played. The world is magical. It has the atmosphere that reminds me the cyberpunk genre. The game is not very hard, it was challenging at times but in the end I always beat the encounters when I think of a strategy. It has been a year since I completed the game but I still now every character and plotelement, and every aspect is amazing of it.

The game's main flaw is probably it's combat. I would call it clunky, it's not gamebreakingly bad but it can be frustrating to play with it.

The music, composed by Mark Morgan, fits the atmosphere very well and is in my opinion very good.

The graphics are of course outdated since this game is from 1999, but again, I think it fits the atmosphere and creates some sort of enigmatic experience.
  4. Mar 2, 2017
    Good:
    -It still has the best story ever written in the last thirty years
    -Unbelievable party's characterization
    -Unforgettable world
    -Best dialogues ever
    **** up side quests
    -Good soundtrack
    -Long

Bad:
    -Man, those fights suck!
    -The section between Ravel and Trias is too much umbalanced

5. Mar 1, 2017
    If you haven't played Planescape: Torment yet, I envy you. It's Alice in Wonderland of video games - a stunning work of art, a journey you'll never forget, and a timeless classic that every intellectual gamer must be familiar with.
  6. Feb 15, 2017
    Without doubt, the best RPG and most deep, complex and engaging story ever crafter for a video game!
    Super characters.
    Captivating setting.
    Emotional connection to your companions
    Morte!
  7. Feb 2, 2017
    A spectacular classic of story telling and proper, immersive single player role playing. Every choice truly matters and every dialogue commands your attention. Although the setting feels very unique it is really the tabletop universe the game is set in that is unique. But because Torment is the only CRPG to date which has been set in this universe it truly is unique in this medium.
    For a
    For a quick intro, the plane of existence known as Sigil floats above a pillar in what is apparently a giant fog. There are no suns, moons or anything at all we would consider normal, but instead portals all over the place to all the other planes of existence. As you can imagine, Sigil is quite the place.
    And the main character, the Nameless One, is no less strange, being among other things immortal, covered in scars and tattooed messages to himself from his last existence. He is frequently afflicted by post-reanimation amnesia you see, so post-it notes to oneself from past lives is apparently a good idea. Yet he is perfectly humdrum and normal compared to some of the other NPCs he will be recruiting. Morte is a flying skull and the early bodyguard of the main character while Ignus is a pyromaniac wizard who is illuminating and heating a local pub by way of having been turned into a portal to the fiery realms as punishment for his crimes. And there are several more weirdos to recruit as well. With this motley flange of grotesques the protagonist must find a way to discover his past and thereby his true nature. It is just all wonderfully odd and nothing like it has been made before or since.

Pros:
    - Story telling. A 1000 page classic fantasy novel made interactive.
    - Setting. 100% original in the computer medium.
    - Graphics and sound. Although dated, both still do an admirable job of setting the tone and creating the appropriate atmosphere.
    - Character development. All the NPCs in the game are carefully scripted, with virtually endless interactions available for the player. The same conversation will change as your intelligence and charisma increases etc. If there are any holes or inconsistencies in the swarm of dialogue trees in this game, I have not found them. But above all the playable NPCs are astonishingly well written, each with his or her own agenda, abilities and potential.
    - Interface. Nice and clean, plus less heavy on the AD&D fanaticism. Combat is not the main focus of this game and it shows everywhere.
    - Role playing. Unlike the other Infinity games produced by Black Isle, Torment is a true role playing game. For the most part you are free to choose whether to fight your way through something, talk your way through something or sneak past it. Only in rare situations are you really forced by the game into one course of action or the other. Instead exploring each location, each dialogue and each object carefully is usually the best way forward. It is almost closer to being a point&click than a CRPG sometimes.

Cons:
    - Combat. The main negative in this game but something that must be mentioned because of just how bad it actually is. If you are expecting the same stuff as in the original Baldur's Gate you will be highly disappointed. Animations are clunky, collision detection is appalling, path finding nonexistent, the actual combat simplistic and enemies very unimaginative, both in design and behavior. On my last playthrough the main character also absolutely refused to properly animate any movement to the right. Instead he would walk backwards every time I moved to the right, and even turn his back to enemies if they were on his right side while hacking at them in the wrong direction. It is all just absolutely horrible, so do not buy this game if you're only interested in exciting combat and crisp character controls.
    - Limited/weird/useless loot. Not as big of a problem and logical enough considering that Torment is not primarily a combat oriented RPG. But you will find lots and lots of useless trash to fill your inventory and lots and lots of weird things you're not going to know what to do with. Some of the loot is really cool, like the Nameless One being able to equip different eyeballs and Morte (the floating head) different teeth with which to bite the enemies. There are also tattoos, ear rings and of course more normal things like weapons. But it is all fairly perfunctory and very unlikely to excite anybody.
    - Plenty of reading required. Not a problem for me because I grew up before the internet burned all the books. But for the smartphone troglodytes it might be challenging.
  8. Dec 14, 2016
    The game play in terms of combat system and the graphics are average at best. Where this game shines though, and hence the high score, is the story line and writing. A highly compelling narrative with genuine options to make.
  9. Oct 20, 2016
    One of the best rpg games ever (probably the best). Original, imaginative, complex, deep, intelligent, unforgettable.

You simply must play Planescape: Torment.
  10. Aug 30, 2016
    Let's make things clear: this is the best RPG I have ever played. Yes, other games have improved on its flaws ever since, because it does have flaws (otherwise I would rate it at 10,) but it was the game changer when it was released and, being one of the very few games I replay once in a while, it is still more enjoyable than 90% of whatever has been released since.

First, and not

First, and not foremost, the writing is simply superb. I have been playing Dungeons & Dragons since the 70s (yes, even old farts can enjoy video games,) and if there ever was one universe that left me completely indifferent in AD&D, that was the Planescape universe, which on paper sounded like the epitome of what I would dislike. PS Torment brilliantly showed me an example of what terrific atmosphere I could extract from this very unusual setting.

More relevantly, because not based on P&P experience but compared to the computer games of the time, Torment was the first RPG that made it worth playing a wise or charismatic character. Before that, every RPG expected you to play a physical character, i.e., a warrior with high Strength and Endurance. Until then, nobody knew what to do with other traits.

Maybe it sounds like I'm saying it was the best RPG and that the rating is dated. Well, there might be some truth in it, and I reply it still is a valid rating on that sole basis, but you know what ? It hasn't changed that much. Take the modern Fallout franchise, pretty good games if you ask me, but all they do is reverse the trend. In Fallout 3 or NV, or (outside of Fallout) Wasteland 2, or whatever, the stat you really want to raise is your Intelligence if you care about numbers and optimising your build. That's nice and all, but if 1 stat is more important than the others, at the end of the day, this is what you had before PS Torment. So yes, even by today's standards, the stats mechanics are seldom matched. I have played Torment as a stupid barbarian, and it still was great fun. Very few games have pushed that envelope since then.

Okay, so groundbreaking mechanics, broadened play styles and terrific writing. That should be enough, right ? But don't forget the interface of the IE engine. That interface was one of the best at the time, and still stands the test of time. It is the model that has been built upon. RPGs felt so clunky before. Take the main competition of the day, Fallout and its sequel. True, they are in any way as creative and enthralling as Torment, but what good is it when their interface is so hopelessly bad that playing them becomes a chore ? You do need both to reach greatness, and PS Torment did have both. Still has, seriously. Play it today, it didn't get old.

Now let's spend a minute with the real competition, Baldur's Gate, which also aged very well (At least BG2. BG1 isn't bad but is quite boring if you ask me.) BG improved on the companions. It also introduced romances, which are just fluff to me, but important for many players. That's it. Torment has the best story and protagonist by far. Also less cosmetic the choices. Also just plain awesome. I'm being pedantic anyway: if you like any one of the IE engine games, try all of them.

Very unusual that I spend so much time on a game's qualities, when flaws are so much easier to point at. All right, here is one, common to all IE games: combat isn't great, and comes in nonsensical quantities. Actually, today's games still do that, which means that someone, either players or devs, expect it. Anyway, few battles are memorable. On the other hand, many tactics are completely valid, even cheesy ones, so there is still a lot of fun to be had there.

A groundbreaking masterpiece. And if you don't care about ancient ground breakers, you still have a masterpiece.
  11. Jun 29, 2016
    What can be written that has not been said a hundred times before me (777 to be precise).
    The game explores fundamental questions that we as humans oftentimes dare not explore ourselves. Instead, you are sent on a plague-ridden, hardship-sown adventure of finding yourself and your identity. During this journey, you will explore the depths of your own fragility -or in that regard, indestructibility-. Experiences such as I have never faced in my life have happened to me during playing this game. One of them involved falling down from a chair in utter shock; I felt shaken to my core (readers familiar with a certain old man with a staff might know what I am hinting at); absolutely befuddled, and charmed beyond reprieve. As my 10 years younger brother stated once he finished the game: "Planescape Torment is not a game, it is a literally masterpiece." I do not disagree...
    The game faces the fundamental question: "What can change the nature of a man?"
    I have to tell you: I don't know the answer to this question, but one thing I know for sure: Planescape Torment can.
  12. Jun 8, 2016
    The best story line that was ever created and best RPG all the time, deep, philosophical inducing to thinking and this is my real love, love of my life
  13. May 9, 2016
    Planescape: Torment deserves its place on the top, or very near the top, of every best RPGs list. Black Isle Studios, the titans of Dungeons & Dragons CRPGs, turned convention on its head when they crafted this Planar adventure. There are no more typical fantasy races, morality is not defined, or is at least mutable, and every character attribute is tied to conversations and out of combatPlanescape: Torment deserves its place on the top, or very near the top, of every best RPGs list. Black Isle Studios, the titans of Dungeons & Dragons CRPGs, turned convention on its head when they crafted this Planar adventure. There are no more typical fantasy races, morality is not defined, or is at least mutable, and every character attribute is tied to conversations and out of combat actions. It’s a game of philosophy and discovery rather than a monster slaying adventure.

“What can change the nature of a man?” is the question at the heart of Planescape: Torment. The Nameless One is an immortal amnesiac, living many lives, doing deeds terrible and great, changing the lives of those around him, often for the worst. Waking up on a mortuary slab, the mystery of his past propels the Nameless One through the Multiverse, one of the most bizarre settings of any RPG, where he deals with Gods, zealotic factions – like the Dustmen, a faction that believes life is a fleeting precursor to the ultimate existence: death - and mazes both mechanical and magical.

The ambition of Planescape: Torment would have been for naught were it not for the superb writing that accompanied it. Chris Avellone and Co penned a tale saturated with nuance and memorable characters that, even 14 years on, stands the test of time and has yet to be outdone. It’s the only RPG where you'll find yourself searching through the protagonist’s organs to find an important item, or where you may allow an NPC to kill you so that she could experience what it would be like to murder somebody. And all the while you'll wrestled with philosophical conundrums and questions of identity. If that all sounds a bit grisly and esoteric to you, then fret not, as the Nameless One is also accompanied by a floating, talking skull who is an unrepentant flirt and have a thing for zombies, so it’s not all serious.
  14. Feb 7, 2016
    Although the combat gets a bit stale and its doesn't look nearly as nice as modern day games there is an incredibly depth to Planescape: Torment that has not been reached by any video game since its release. Now its more than 15 years old but the excellent writing contained in this game still can captivate players today. As the first example I can think of for video games as "ART" thisAlthough the combat gets a bit stale and its doesn't look nearly as nice as modern day games there is an incredibly depth to Planescape: Torment that has not been reached by any video game since its release. Now its more than 15 years old but the excellent writing contained in this game still can captivate players today. As the first example I can think of for video games as "ART" this game should be played by anyone with even a passing interest in video games as a medium of communication, or just people who want to have an intellectually satisfying time. Get it on Good Old Games, its like 5 bucks and it has more depth than the past 50 Triple-A "Masterpieces" that have graced us recently. Expand
  15. Jan 5, 2016
    There's simply nothing that matches this game in terms of the story and characters. I've spend last 5 days playing this game, what a ride! I'm thinking to give it another play through soon. I'm wishing this game HD remake or something. of course you can play it with mods widescreen bug fixes etc... all good. But this game deserve overhaul. I'm not old school rpg baldur's gate icewind daleThere's simply nothing that matches this game in terms of the story and characters. I've spend last 5 days playing this game, what a ride! I'm thinking to give it another play through soon. I'm wishing this game HD remake or something. of course you can play it with mods widescreen bug fixes etc... all good. But this game deserve overhaul. I'm not old school rpg baldur's gate icewind dale fan, and i'm telling you this game is amazing, but if you are, this will probably fit you even more.
    You deserve to play this game, this game deserve to be played, that is the nature of this game!
  16. Dec 24, 2015
    any review below 7, is a sign of skyrim players trying to play a real rpg
    best story of a video game
    you read more than a book
    combat is not good, except if you are using a mage
  17. Dec 14, 2015
    This is one of the best RPGs ever with a unique and very interesting story. However, the controls and battle mechanics are not as polished as, say, in Baldur's Gate 2 from the same developer. I never really finished it, mostly because of the poorly designed quest log (which was improved in BG 2): if you take a few days off, it's impossible to recall again which NPCs wanted what, and theThis is one of the best RPGs ever with a unique and very interesting story. However, the controls and battle mechanics are not as polished as, say, in Baldur's Gate 2 from the same developer. I never really finished it, mostly because of the poorly designed quest log (which was improved in BG 2): if you take a few days off, it's impossible to recall again which NPCs wanted what, and the info in the log is too generic. So, unless you take a full week and play it non-stop, you will find yourself re-starting it again and again, like I did :) I hope I will finish it some day :) Expand
  18. Nov 28, 2015
    Wow - what a ride! I was not ready :)
    A friend recommended me this and i was not ready.
    It was truly a revolutionary game with a deep phantasmagorical story, involving complex characters, and pretty damn good RPG gameplay!
    Swit Son!
  19. Nov 2, 2015
    Hands down the best story of any video game ever. I kinda want to say of any book I have ever read as well but it was interactive so I guess it just doesn't fall into the category though it borderlines it as well. Planescape: Torment is my favorite video game of all time and literally the only game to ever invoke an positive emotional response beyond that was awesome or cool. At the end IHands down the best story of any video game ever. I kinda want to say of any book I have ever read as well but it was interactive so I guess it just doesn't fall into the category though it borderlines it as well. Planescape: Torment is my favorite video game of all time and literally the only game to ever invoke an positive emotional response beyond that was awesome or cool. At the end I was literally so happy about how well the game played and about the ending I had a tear to my eye. Literally the only piece of media I have experienced in my life that has ever evoked a tear from the mix of sadness and happiness.

Combat's not perfect but IDGAF the rest of the game from music to customization outshines it. The combat is even somewhat unnecessary and yet it still has all the character building available should you choose to go that route. I think it is impossible to to be disappointed by this game.
  20. Oct 28, 2015
    I love Baldurs Gate 2, Morrowind, Fallout and all the other classic RPGs and dont like the action action "RPG"s from today...I was very interesting and motivated for PS:T, but I was really dissapointed. The combat mechanics and the gameplay mechanics overall are so simple. The level up is boring. So in the core, the most interesting part is reading the dialogues, which are really great,I love Baldurs Gate 2, Morrowind, Fallout and all the other classic RPGs and dont like the action action "RPG"s from today...I was very interesting and motivated for PS:T, but I was really dissapointed. The combat mechanics and the gameplay mechanics overall are so simple. The level up is boring. So in the core, the most interesting part is reading the dialogues, which are really great, but far too much.
    Of course this game offer great elements: The setting is amazing, it is sad, that there are not so many studios, that are really creating new worlds like PS:T.
    But overall I quit the game after 2/3 more or less, what happens very rare. This game is like reading a book instead of playing it. Therefore BG2 is still my king.
    Edit: The ratings here are manipulated btw. look at all the average scores, they re getting bad rates and the many 10s with only good ratings
  21. Oct 18, 2015
    Most complicate story,deep,philosophy,outstanding,romance game have you ever seen. If you want RPG game with alive world response from your active this game is number 1 of whole game.
  22. Oct 5, 2015
    I played Baldur´s Gate when it was delivered, and I enjoyed it very much. I tried Planescape Torment (a friend had it) in 2000, and due to the complex english, I played only few hours. The last year I decided to give it a new oportunity thank to a traduction to spanish done by Clan Dlan.

I only can say that it is the best game that I have played, the story, the party, the conversations, ... All in this game is perfect and I only can recomend that you play it. To enjoy more the game, give high scores to inteligence and wisdom.
  23. Aug 25, 2015
    One of the best RPGs ever made.
    The story is really great, you will have some wtf moments but it will keep you hooked until you complete the game.

My top 3 in no particular order.
    Planescape Torment, Fallout & Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines
  24. Jul 1, 2015
    The video game Planescape: Torment is one of the best books you will ever read .Masterpiece of art 10/10 I love this game. My favourite RPG by far. What can change the nature of a man?
  25. Jun 18, 2015
    The best story ever in a game, that simple. Takes the Planescape setting from Advanced DnD (IMO the best setting) and uses it to make some weird-ass interesting locations.
  26. Jun 3, 2015
    For me, as a gamer and a bookworm at the same time, playing this game was a revelation. Up to the point of The Witcher 3 release, there was no game that was able to tell me a story that immersive, touching and interesting at the same time. Story-wise, this is my all time favorite, maybe ex aequo with The Witcher 3 at the moment.
  27. Jun 1, 2015
    Probably the best RPG ever made. This game is unique, quality of story, comrades and world creation is legendary. This is the game to which all true RPG (no hack&slashes, or single player mmo games like Skyrim) are compared. If you tell that you love RPG and didn't here of it, then you know nothing.
  28. May 3, 2015
    Strength lies in *knowing* oneself. Best computer RPG ever written without a shadow of a doubt, and so far the only game in which I've felt repulsed from the evil options - I simply couldn't be a dick to Dak'kon.
  29. Apr 26, 2015
    The story and the story-telling in this game are second to none. True, the combat system is not that great, but this is more than compensated for by the depth of the world, and the game, that you find yourself in.
  30. Apr 6, 2015
    Strong, unique narrative and a few interesting philosophical concepts, but it's not quite enough to totally overshadow the lame combat system and poor balancing of character attributes.

Pros: -Story, a lot of depth, perspective varies depending on player actions -Dialogue trees -Several joinable factions, and a number of alignments based on player actions -Artwork, setting Cons:

Pros:
    -Story, a lot of depth, perspective varies depending on player actions
    -Dialogue trees
    -Several joinable factions, and a number of alignments based on player actions
    -Artwork, setting

Cons:

-Combat is pointless and uninteresting (also rare)
    -Game is unbalanced... Strength, dexterity and constitution attributes are useless. Wisdom unlocks most dialogue options, with a few options being unlocked by intelligence and charisma. Mage class is 10000x stronger than your other options due to the above reasons
    -A few bugs, most can be fixed with unofficial patches, but a couple quest-breaking bugs persist

1. Yet another astounding title out the doors of the Black Isle factory.
    Torment boasts a thoroughly enjoyable story line, and I can pretty much guarantee you won't be guessing how it all ends up with any degree of accuracy. This game has very few weaknesses, and predictability is certainly not one of them!
    Torment's graphics and sound are paradise. Gorgeous, hand-drawn backgrounds look sumptuous, even if they're overcome with dark, moody, colors.