9.4

1. Mar 20, 2013
    This game is a masterpiece. One of the best CRPGs of all time (if not the best). The setting is very original. The story is just great. All the characters are memorable and unique. The quests are good as well. The game is still awesome since it came out in 1999, every new walkthrough opens some new details about the story. So if you are into CRPGs you MUST play this!
  2. Feb 16, 2012
    Some people choose super mario as their nostalgic game of choice, some people sonic, others some obscure nes game. Me? Planescape torment is up there, right next to the original deus ex. And it even holds up today. Why? It has a truly unique world, populated with truly unique characters. And while this can be said about fallout - for instance, this stands alone. It is, and was - truly it's own inspiration. Original ideas are rare, and when you back them up with a game of supurb depth and length - and you are left with nothing but praise and awe. Better than dragon age origins and baldur's gate 2 both of which I consider masterpieces. That's how good planescape torment was, and is even today. And while deus ex remains a game I enjoyed more - this comes very close to taking every crown there is. 10/10, 100/100, 999/1000 Expand
  3. Sep 24, 2013
    If you said this is the best game ever made, I would not argue with you. It is hard to name a better game. This game reminds us of a time when developers cared about games like they were works of art (now, they make games designed to extract money by microtransactions and DLC). Play this game.
  4. Oct 8, 2011
    Planescape Torment is a masterpiece of work in RPG video game genre. The characters, individually, are among the best you will encounter in a game and all are with deep backstories and interesting personality and The massive amount of dialog used to present its story. Dialog trees stretch sometimes up to 10+ options, each with several subcategories, and with several more sub-sub categories. Those dialog lines often will take quite some time to absorb which is why this game is not as popular as Baldur's Gate series. The story in this game is incredibly good. You play the game as a character that can never be killed and nameless. What you do in the game is to discover who you were, why things are happening, and what to do next, so you are truly role play a Character as you want to be. Although it did a tremendous job on story telling, the gameplay in this game falls a bit short. The pacing in this game is too slow and since you can not die, it really take a lot fun from the game itself. So overall it's a 9 out 10, I like Baldur's Gate 2 better Expand
  5. Mar 18, 2011
    What is there to say about this game except that it was a tragedy that it was not a commercial success. It is, simply put, the best RPG ever made. It is by no means for everyone; it is a gamer's game. It is for people who want to think...even meditate...about their gaming experience. There is no shoot-em up. There are no friends for you to play with it. There is no world to save. It contradicts just about everything that modern gaming has become. It is a masterpiece. Expand
  6. Sep 30, 2011
    Replayability is the major issue for me with games. Unfortunately this game does not have a great deal of it and I can't give it a 10, but it's still a very close run thing. Astounding. Unforgettable. Hypnotic. Exhilarating. The amnesiac storyline sounds cliched but this amnesiac storyline is so different, so well told, so deeply described that the game is more than forgiven for it. There are not many joinable NPCs, one of them is hard to find and another does not appear until near the end. But these NPCs have, individually, more personality than shelfloads of games than I could mention, so again, the game is more than forgiven. There are more than a few bugs. But this game is so engrossing that you don't really care. Game absolved again. From the constant thud thud in the Lower Ward to the very inspiring fighting music in Curst, the sounds in this game make it unforgettably atmospheric. This game does not have many areas, does not last very long and has been accused of having an unsatisfactory ending. But no other game has such a plethora of memorable characters, stimulating dialogues, great music, spell visuals and moments of great hilarity in such a short space of time. It just shows what can happen when people's motivation is belief and pride in what they are doing and a love for it too, as opposed to purely making money. As far as I know, there are two valid endings which occur about half way towards the accepted ending (and one other a lot closer). I can think of no other game which dares to do that. An exceptionally enduring masterpiece. Expand
  7. Jaz
    Feb 23, 2013
    Along with Baldurs Gate 2, this is the pinnacle of cRPGs. Better story than BG2 but less combat/exploration. All time classic. As i said in BG2, wish they still made games like this...
  8. Jan 8, 2012
    Finished. It was great. I still can't believe I haven't heard of it before. The story was incredible, the only game that has a story like PST is The Witcher 2, and that's it. Though the combat could be stupid at times, the dialogues and the story far make up for It.
  9. Aug 11, 2011
    This game is still on my list of best games I have ever played. The game is near perfect and the ending will stay with you forever. Only game that brought a tear to my eye. Ever. such a wonderful and thought provoking game.
  10. Jan 19, 2011
    To be sincere... never played it! But my boyfriend is a big fan (in fact is his favourite game)... so... I can say (instead of him) that the game looks pretty good and the story interesting. Well... I was not talking in his words... he'd say TOTALLY RECOMENDED... AMAZING... THRILLING... of course if you're the kind of person who loves reading even if the story takes you 1h and a half... you'd love this one. Expand
  11. Dec 25, 2012
    Either this game or Fallout 2 is THE BEST RPG EVER MADE! Talk about a game that lacks nothing! No matter how many times you complete it - you still want more!
  12. Jul 29, 2013
    I'll make this a very short review just so I can avoid going in depth with the story and gameplay so new players will be surprised when they discover such things on their own. This is merely an encouragement to those unsure of this game's high appraisal.

Yes, this game is every ounce as good as people say. It's well written, well executed, and also manages to be enthralling and fun all
    at the same time. It's debatable whether this is the best role playing game in the medium, but I find on par with the likes of Baldur's Gate II.

So, if you have never played Planescape: Torment, do so. I promise you will feel like it was worth it once you start playing.
  13. Jun 11, 2013
    PST is possibly the greatest game of any genre ever made, and aside from the Baldur's Gate Saga, it's the best RPG bar none. The game unfortunately suffered from lack of publicity upon its release, so it didn't get the recognition it truly deserved.

Let loose in '99, many people are just learning about this masterpiece. I can't understand anyone giving this game a negative score, but as
    I've said before in my reviews, you cannot please everyone, and all are entitled to their opinion. I for one however cannot give this game anything lower than a perfect 10, and if I could rate it higher, I would without ado.

PST was way ahead of its time, and it shows in every aspect of the game. The story is one of the best I've ever experienced in any game, ever. To think you wake up in a morgue not knowing who you are or how you got there is creepy and intriguing. Then little by little, you have to piece the puzzle together. This game will make you laugh, make you cry and maybe even give you nightmares. It's that good.

Despite there is just TNO (the nameless one) as the main protagonist, the game has a lot of replay value. This is mostly due to the multiple ways in which you can complete quests, how you treat people through dialogue, and of course the alignment modifier. You can be good, but treat enough people poorly, and you could end up chaotic or even evil. TNO starts as a fighter, but you have choices later to become a mage or a thief, and even switch back and forth as much as you wish (not recommended). There are also factions you can join, tattoos, romance, the list goes on and on. Probably the greatest part of PST is TNO cannot die. He's immortal. Oh sure, he can still be killed, but the final death can never take him. That's a huge plus in my book. No more loading a saved game just because your character got whacked.

A word of warning however... The game is very dialogue intensive. This may be the reason some don't like it, but its necessary for the story. PST is a game to take your time with and not rush. If you do, you'll miss out on a lot. Talk to everyone, search every nook and cranny, be patient and have fun. 10/10.
  14. Sep 2, 2013
    This game is the second best game of all times(after Baldurs Gate 2).And it also has the best scenario and the most impresive philosofical questions that you can find in any game or in any book.And I say that after I have read a lot of books of Plato,Xenophon and Aristotelis so I know what I am talking about.Life and Death,Ideology and Social Views,Love and Friendship,Hope and Despair,Wisdom and Madness all fight an eternal war for the soul of the protagonist.If you have a computer that can play the game without bugs play it.It will be the experience of a lifetime for you. Expand
  15. Aug 28, 2012
    I played this Game in the year 2012. This is game is amazing. If i should rate this game on release date it would be a 11 but now im giving it a 10. if you like rpgs with cool characters, a very nice story and your focus is not on combat. dude GET THIS!!
  16. Mar 23, 2011
    It's stupid to write another review but it's a generally well-known fact that I am a very stupid man so here we go: play this game, you dork. It's much better than the crap you're currently spending time on.
  17. May 22, 2012
    An absolute masterpiece, hands down the best computer RPG made so far. Intricate story and dialogue that easily surpasses most fantasy novels. Probably still makes writers of this recent Dragon Age type garbage rock in a fetal position and cry. Personal and complex characters, great atmosphere. A desktop & iOS remake seems likely now with Baldur's Gate: EE coming 2012 and hopefully this undervalued diamond will get the attention it deserves. Expand
  18. Oct 17, 2012
    I played this game for the 1st time in 2012.....13 years since it was released. I can easily say this the best story in video games i have experienced and it even matches up to some pretty great stories in famous books. With memorable companions,intriguing plot, believable n fully fleshed NPCs and an amazing protagonist, this is a epic story for the ages. Gamers who like high amount of action in games may not like this one as it involves a lot of reading, but those who invest in the story and have patience will derive unparalleled joy. Planescape: Torment - My favourite game forever. If eligible for the Oscar's you would have swept most categories. I salute the developers and thank them for creating this masterpiece. A Timeless Classic Expand
  19. Feb 14, 2012
    People are still reviewing this? Good. Because this is not a game for ignoring, this is a game to be revelled in, to be celebrated. There is not much to add to what's already been written. I have to mention the characters in this game though - they are truly wonderful. I can still quote from all of them and it's about 4 years since I played. Recalling the music isn't a problem either. How many games that you've played have that effect on you? Not many I'd guess. This game stands alone. Absolutely. Brilliant. Expand
  20. Sep 27, 2011
    Simply one of the best games ever created... there are no rpgs today that reach the level of depth of this game... This is one of the game that you have to play before you die!
  21. Ume
    Nov 3, 2013
    If I had to pick the best example of video game art, this is it. Truly unforgettable! One of the best narratives in gaming, intriguing setting, wonderful soundtrack and atmosphere, very well developed characters that one cannot help but empathize with them and their struggles. What can change the nature of a man? Not only is the journey to find the answer to this of great importance to TNO, the themes and philosophical questions make it so for the player as well. Expand
  22. Dec 26, 2012
    The short version is that it's the best game ever made.

The long version... it's an Infinity Engine game, which means 2D graphics in isometric view, similar to Baldur's Gate, and very low resolution. It also means that it is difficult to get this game to run on a modern machine. Do some googling for fan-made patches (which can also fix the low resolution), but even with those the game
    is finicky.
    It's a role-playing game based on Dungeons & Dragons 2nd Ed., in the Planescape setting (which WotC later abandoned), but the producers intentionally set out to break every role playing game cliche in the book. Stay your hand, talk to people, even creatures you'd in other games kill without a second's hesitation - in *this* game it might be a lost friend with clues to your past.

Planescape: Torment is something as unusual in gaming as a tragedy: you guide a small band of remarkable but ragged and broken individuals in the hard and unforgiving Planes, you watch friendship and love grow, but as the iron logic of the story unfolds you, the player, soon realize that there can be no happy end to this tale. However, while tragedies don't have happy endings, they do pack massive emotional punch and grant the viewer catharsis - and Planescape: Torment is an oh-so-very good tragedy.

Some don't like the slow pace, the bizarre setting, the reams of text or the clunky combat, but if you're lucky and can immerse yourself in this game, then you're in for an experience which will stay with you for the rest of your life.
  23. Apr 3, 2011
    A timeless classic, and one of the pinnacles of gaming (not to mention the RPG genre). I played it many years ago, but I still remember how I was deeply impressed and moved by many of the situations the game managed to throw at you during your quest of self-discovery in an alien, highly allegorical world. The Sensate, for example, where one of the most interesting and well thought factions in a PC game, and the fact that the Planescape source material was extremely strong and imaginative surely helped. The characters were a sight to behold, with extremely detailed personalities and many ideological conflicts between them cleverly used by the game to furtherly emphasize the setting's nuances. Expand
  24. Mar 21, 2012
    Over a decade later, and I can safely say this for role-playing games (and perhaps all games): they just don't make them like they used to. I played Planescape: Torment when I was much younger and could not grasp much of its complexity. I return to it now and see that it is, without a doubt, the best RPG I have played so far. The story is profound and mind-bending, as are all the characters in it. Through many a dialogue did I feel genuinely moved, awed, or chilled to the bone. What's more, the gameplay is open-ended and relies on you being resourceful. It does not hold your hand, it does not walk you through tutorials--NO! Like the Nameless One, you wake in a cold, dark world with nothing, not even your memories, and you must go forth to solve the mystery of YOURSELF using your wits and what few scraps you have. Combat is the same way. It forces you to constantly change your strategies and take advantage of the many spells, skills, and items you acquire along the way. At the same time, you are required to concentrate on the dialogue in order to puzzle out the various clues you collect throughout your journey. Torment is so well-written, however, that it unfolds like a darkly poetic novel. Ultimately, if you put enough thought and energy into Planescape: Torment, it comes to life in an extraordinary way. Few games (if any) can compare. It was definitely worth the hours of finagling it took to get this old masterpiece running on my modern desktop. Expand
  25. Oct 9, 2012
    I still look back on my time with this game as my happiest gaming moments in the era after I was old enough to not like everything. This game changed my mental landscape and the way my imagination works. I want to get addicted to whatever the developers were on.
  26. Jun 19, 2012
    The world of Planescape: Torment can capture the imagination like few others. The intricate, well thought out philosophical/political landscape brings the city of Sigil to life and the developers put as much thought into what it means to have a protagonist who is immortal. If you are a fan of Neverwinter Nights, Baldur's Gate, or other pen and paper inspired RPGs this is a must play. If you've never played Dungeons and Dragons this could be the game that sparks a new hobby Expand
  27. Oct 15, 2012
    One of my all time favorites, if you want a unique RPG with a great story, this is for you. The protagonist is unforgettable , the NPCs are some of the best of all time (up there with BG/BG2), and the environment is amazing. The graphics are dated even with recent patches to increase the resolution, but it's absolutely worth playing.
  28. Feb 26, 2012
    I made account here just to give 10 to this masterpiece. One of the best games ever made. I prefer BG II to Planescape, but in my opinion PS:T has better story. What is the nature of man? Immortal lover, immortal killer, neverending pain and torment - this game is a philosophical masterpiece.
  29. Dec 21, 2012
    They just dont make games like this anymore. It has the BEST story in a videogame of all times. And what makes this game the best is that it is the only one where choice does matter. In other games the biggest choice you have to make is generally being good or evil which is extremly predictable. Here it takes a whole new spin. Here when you start a conversation you dont know where its heading, which talking option is the best. And here stats matter. If you have strength you can intimidate people, if you are dexterous you might catch a npc pickpocketing you, there are also endless options available trough intelligence, wisdom or charisma. No more dump stats as in Baldurs Gate. I am playing baldurs gate 2 now and while it is a great game and the combat aspect is better than planescape is lacks that thrill of the story and the choice.

Probably best videogame ever. Pity it had sold so little back in the day.
  30. Dec 16, 2011
    You either quit playing this game after the first hour or get sucked into the planes. From the technician's point of view it's quite awful game. The story and characters are undoubtedly best of all video games ever made. Give it a shot. Maybe do not try to treat it as a video game, think of it as a story or even a "book".

1. Yet another astounding title out the doors of the Black Isle factory.
    Torment boasts a thoroughly enjoyable story line, and I can pretty much guarantee you won't be guessing how it all ends up with any degree of accuracy. This game has very few weaknesses, and predictability is certainly not one of them!
    Torment's graphics and sound are paradise. Gorgeous, hand-drawn backgrounds look sumptuous, even if they're overcome with dark, moody, colors.