9.2

1. Oct 27, 2014
    The best RPG ever. Still my favourite game after all these years. Not for everyone as the game is really wordy. There's always an alternative but it'd be much less fun if you're not inclined to read and explore the game much.
  2. Matt
    Nov 7, 2006
    The very best game I have ever played, bar none. I've beaten it 4 times, and plan on playing it 4 more.
  3. NickJarvis
    Jun 5, 2009
    This game is awesome, and my only problem with it is that it tends to get a little bit...Icky. The mortuary with its half-dissected corpses everywhere and all that. But it remains one of the best single-player RPGs of all time, and it's a classic for a reason. Seriously, play it.
  4. JonK.
    Oct 18, 2003
    A very solid game, attracted me into a genre that I had always been (and still am) reluctant to play around in. The story and atmosphere make this one well worth a play.
  5. WeevilB.
    Aug 20, 2004
    Best RPG ever.
  6. IanC.
    Feb 25, 2005
    One of the best role-playing games of all time, if not one of the best games. Must have.
  7. eeganrac
    Jul 31, 2006
    Great game, i wish somebody would pick up the license and make a sequel.
  8. Mrbanjo
    Sep 26, 2006
    It's 2006 and it's still the best game I've ever played. Will always be my favourite.
  9. SkipSkip
    Apr 24, 2007
    By far the best story a game ever had. i've played a lot of games, but none gave me such amazing experience like Planscape Torment. a game every gamer HAS to try.
  10. Zac
    Apr 18, 2005
    By far the strongest storyline in any game I have played.
  11. HristoU.
    Jul 17, 2006
    My personal BEST, along with BGII and Fallout.
  12. MehmetT.
    Nov 29, 2007
    This game is one of the few examples that represents the pinnacle of RPGs to this date. A masterfully told unique story, memorable characters, beautifully done isometric graphics and memorable music. Oh there is combat too, it's just that the game puts much more emphasis on dialogue and solving quests than combat, which might be a turn off for action junkies or people who like a lot This game is one of the few examples that represents the pinnacle of RPGs to this date. A masterfully told unique story, memorable characters, beautifully done isometric graphics and memorable music. Oh there is combat too, it's just that the game puts much more emphasis on dialogue and solving quests than combat, which might be a turn off for action junkies or people who like a lot of action in RPGs. I was tempted to give this game a 10, but a 10 implies perfection. One reason for its less-than-perfect nature is that there are only three character classes to choose from for the protagonist, whereas other games that use D&D rules have much more variety. But nevertheless, anyone who considers themselves an RPG fan, or any one who wants to play a meaningful RPG should look no further than this game. Expand
  13. Feb 7, 2016
    Although the combat gets a bit stale and its doesn't look nearly as nice as modern day games there is an incredibly depth to Planescape: Torment that has not been reached by any video game since its release. Now its more than 15 years old but the excellent writing contained in this game still can captivate players today. As the first example I can think of for video games as "ART" thisAlthough the combat gets a bit stale and its doesn't look nearly as nice as modern day games there is an incredibly depth to Planescape: Torment that has not been reached by any video game since its release. Now its more than 15 years old but the excellent writing contained in this game still can captivate players today. As the first example I can think of for video games as "ART" this game should be played by anyone with even a passing interest in video games as a medium of communication, or just people who want to have an intellectually satisfying time. Get it on Good Old Games, its like 5 bucks and it has more depth than the past 50 Triple-A "Masterpieces" that have graced us recently. Expand
  14. Jimi
    Mar 27, 2006
    The best game I've ever played. The combat is a bit distracting at times, but the story and the dialogue more than make up for it.
  15. MareusK.
    Mar 23, 2008
    One word... INCREDIBLE! MAGNIFICENT! GREAT! FANTASTIC!!!... Ok, thats more than one word, but i couldn't help myself. Unfortunately they don't make the games like that anymore. Just graphics nowadays i guess
  16. Jun 18, 2015
    The best story ever in a game, that simple. Takes the Planescape setting from Advanced DnD (IMO the best setting) and uses it to make some weird-ass interesting locations.
  17. Jun 3, 2015
    For me, as a gamer and a bookworm at the same time, playing this game was a revelation. Up to the point of The Witcher 3 release, there was no game that was able to tell me a story that immersive, touching and interesting at the same time. Story-wise, this is my all time favorite, maybe ex aequo with The Witcher 3 at the moment.
  18. Jun 1, 2015
    Probably the best RPG ever made. This game is unique, quality of story, comrades and world creation is legendary. This is the game to which all true RPG (no hack&slashes, or single player mmo games like Skyrim) are compared. If you tell that you love RPG and didn't here of it, then you know nothing.
  19. Oct 5, 2015
    I played BaldurĀ“s Gate when it was delivered, and I enjoyed it very much. I tried Planescape Torment (a friend had it) in 2000, and due to the complex english, I played only few hours. The last year I decided to give it a new oportunity thank to a traduction to spanish done by Clan Dlan.

I only can say that it is the best game that I have played, the story, the party, the conversations, ... All in this game is perfect and I only can recomend that you play it. To enjoy more the game, give high scores to inteligence and wisdom.
  20. Oct 18, 2015
    Most complicate story,deep,philosophy,outstanding,romance game have you ever seen. If you want RPG game with alive world response from your active this game is number 1 of whole game.
  21. Nov 2, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The game was entertaining and well written. Sadly, it wasn't without problems. While I spent countless hours playing the game, trying to make a better world for the people in it, I was distraught at the ending. All your choices did not matter when you reached the ending and it left much untold. It saddened me after all that work, I couldn't do anything to change my characters fate. Expand
  22. Apr 29, 2013
    This game is fun but I have never been able to get into it like I had hoped. The characters are great and the story is good, but the controls and combat are slightly frustrating.
  23. Oct 28, 2015
    I love Baldurs Gate 2, Morrowind, Fallout and all the other classic RPGs and dont like the action action "RPG"s from today...I was very interesting and motivated for PS:T, but I was really dissapointed. The combat mechanics and the gameplay mechanics overall are so simple. The level up is boring. So in the core, the most interesting part is reading the dialogues, which are really great,I love Baldurs Gate 2, Morrowind, Fallout and all the other classic RPGs and dont like the action action "RPG"s from today...I was very interesting and motivated for PS:T, but I was really dissapointed. The combat mechanics and the gameplay mechanics overall are so simple. The level up is boring. So in the core, the most interesting part is reading the dialogues, which are really great, but far too much.
    Of course this game offer great elements: The setting is amazing, it is sad, that there are not so many studios, that are really creating new worlds like PS:T.
    But overall I quit the game after 2/3 more or less, what happens very rare. This game is like reading a book instead of playing it. Therefore BG2 is still my king.
    Edit: The ratings here are manipulated btw. look at all the average scores, they re getting bad rates and the many 10s with only good ratings
  24. Dec 17, 2012
    is it me or is the combat in this game horrible...I heard this has an amazing story line but i just couldnt get past the clunky combat...characters move so awkwardly, you are fighting enemy and you arent even hitting it and it is somehow dying. I played Baldurs Gate II, trying some of these older D and D games and prefer that one over this one. The characters are almost moonwalkng in theis it me or is the combat in this game horrible...I heard this has an amazing story line but i just couldnt get past the clunky combat...characters move so awkwardly, you are fighting enemy and you arent even hitting it and it is somehow dying. I played Baldurs Gate II, trying some of these older D and D games and prefer that one over this one. The characters are almost moonwalkng in the version I played..it was like bad nintendo platform at times..not to mention the musack you have to listen to. Expand
  25. Jun 8, 2016
    The best story line that was ever created and best RPG all the time, deep, philosophical inducing to thinking and this is my real love, love of my life
  26. Apr 26, 2015
    The story and the story-telling in this game are second to none. True, the combat system is not that great, but this is more than compensated for by the depth of the world, and the game, that you find yourself in.
  27. Feb 2, 2017
    A spectacular classic of story telling and proper, immersive single player role playing. Every choice truly matters and every dialogue commands your attention. Although the setting feels very unique it is really the tabletop universe the game is set in that is unique. But because Torment is the only CRPG to date which has been set in this universe it truly is unique in this medium.
    For a
    For a quick intro, the plane of existence known as Sigil floats above a pillar in what is apparently a giant fog. There are no suns, moons or anything at all we would consider normal, but instead portals all over the place to all the other planes of existence. As you can imagine, Sigil is quite the place.
    And the main character, the Nameless One, is no less strange, being among other things immortal, covered in scars and tattooed messages to himself from his last existence. He is frequently afflicted by post-reanimation amnesia you see, so post-it notes to oneself from past lives is apparently a good idea. Yet he is perfectly humdrum and normal compared to some of the other NPCs he will be recruiting. Morte is a flying skull and the early bodyguard of the main character while Ignus is a pyromaniac wizard who is illuminating and heating a local pub by way of having been turned into a portal to the fiery realms as punishment for his crimes. And there are several more weirdos to recruit as well. With this motley flange of grotesques the protagonist must find a way to discover his past and thereby his true nature. It is just all wonderfully odd and nothing like it has been made before or since.

Pros:
    - Story telling. A 1000 page classic fantasy novel made interactive.
    - Setting. 100% original in the computer medium.
    - Graphics and sound. Although dated, both still do an admirable job of setting the tone and creating the appropriate atmosphere.
    - Character development. All the NPCs in the game are carefully scripted, with virtually endless interactions available for the player. The same conversation will change as your intelligence and charisma increases etc. If there are any holes or inconsistencies in the swarm of dialogue trees in this game, I have not found them. But above all the playable NPCs are astonishingly well written, each with his or her own agenda, abilities and potential.
    - Interface. Nice and clean, plus less heavy on the AD&D fanaticism. Combat is not the main focus of this game and it shows everywhere.
    - Role playing. Unlike the other Infinity games produced by Black Isle, Torment is a true role playing game. For the most part you are free to choose whether to fight your way through something, talk your way through something or sneak past it. Only in rare situations are you really forced by the game into one course of action or the other. Instead exploring each location, each dialogue and each object carefully is usually the best way forward. It is almost closer to being a point&click than a CRPG sometimes.

Cons:
    - Combat. The main negative in this game but something that must be mentioned because of just how bad it actually is. If you are expecting the same stuff as in the original Baldur's Gate you will be highly disappointed. Animations are clunky, collision detection is appalling, path finding nonexistent, the actual combat simplistic and enemies very unimaginative, both in design and behavior. On my last playthrough the main character also absolutely refused to properly animate any movement to the right. Instead he would walk backwards every time I moved to the right, and even turn his back to enemies if they were on his right side while hacking at them in the wrong direction. It is all just absolutely horrible, so do not buy this game if you're only interested in exciting combat and crisp character controls.
    - Limited/weird/useless loot. Not as big of a problem and logical enough considering that Torment is not primarily a combat oriented RPG. But you will find lots and lots of useless trash to fill your inventory and lots and lots of weird things you're not going to know what to do with. Some of the loot is really cool, like the Nameless One being able to equip different eyeballs and Morte (the floating head) different teeth with which to bite the enemies. There are also tattoos, ear rings and of course more normal things like weapons. But it is all fairly perfunctory and very unlikely to excite anybody.
    - Plenty of reading required. Not a problem for me because I grew up before the internet burned all the books. But for the smartphone troglodytes it might be challenging.
  28. Nov 28, 2015
    Wow - what a ride! I was not ready :)
    A friend recommended me this and i was not ready.
    It was truly a revolutionary game with a deep phantasmagorical story, involving complex characters, and pretty damn good RPG gameplay!
    Swit Son!
  29. Dec 14, 2015
    This is one of the best RPGs ever with a unique and very interesting story. However, the controls and battle mechanics are not as polished as, say, in Baldur's Gate 2 from the same developer. I never really finished it, mostly because of the poorly designed quest log (which was improved in BG 2): if you take a few days off, it's impossible to recall again which NPCs wanted what, and theThis is one of the best RPGs ever with a unique and very interesting story. However, the controls and battle mechanics are not as polished as, say, in Baldur's Gate 2 from the same developer. I never really finished it, mostly because of the poorly designed quest log (which was improved in BG 2): if you take a few days off, it's impossible to recall again which NPCs wanted what, and the info in the log is too generic. So, unless you take a full week and play it non-stop, you will find yourself re-starting it again and again, like I did :) I hope I will finish it some day :) Expand
  30. Feb 15, 2017
    Without doubt, the best RPG and most deep, complex and engaging story ever crafter for a video game!
    Super characters.
    Captivating setting.
    Emotional connection to your companions
    Morte!

1. Yet another astounding title out the doors of the Black Isle factory.
    Torment boasts a thoroughly enjoyable story line, and I can pretty much guarantee you won't be guessing how it all ends up with any degree of accuracy. This game has very few weaknesses, and predictability is certainly not one of them!
    Torment's graphics and sound are paradise. Gorgeous, hand-drawn backgrounds look sumptuous, even if they're overcome with dark, moody, colors.