9.4

1. JohnR
    Jun 9, 2008
    Planescape : Torment is philosophy for the video-gamer and undoubtedly has the best story ever to grace any computer game, Deus Ex included. You will have to be prepared to do a lot of reading in order to enjoy this profound tale. If you've ever come across the ideas of Nietzsche, Heidegger or Plato (and others, including Eastern philosophy and mysticism) you'll be spooked out Planescape : Torment is philosophy for the video-gamer and undoubtedly has the best story ever to grace any computer game, Deus Ex included. You will have to be prepared to do a lot of reading in order to enjoy this profound tale. If you've ever come across the ideas of Nietzsche, Heidegger or Plato (and others, including Eastern philosophy and mysticism) you'll be spooked out when you play this game. It is text heavy and in this respect plays much like an old-fashioned text-adventure but otherwise it plays the same as the other (also brilliant) Infinity Engine games : there's a fair amount of combat plus plenty of quests and some of the weirdest and most wonderful locations, NPCs and enemies you're every likely to come across. The level of interaction which is possible between party members and other NPCs is still unparalleled today. The artwork is wonderful and if you can muster the patience to get involved in the deepest game you will ever play you won't notice that it's all in low resolution. There is a widescreen mod available for this game, I believe. My co-favourite of all time along with the two Baldur's Gates. Expand
  2. Aug 15, 2010
    This game is just hard to forget. Ten years has passed since I've been playing for the first time, and the impressions, emotions are still with me. Those who had sad that it has a far greater story than Deus ex, are, as far as I am speaking for myself, correct. It needs that kind correction though, that the story in fact is a amazing book story, superior, to *any* game story, we have seenThis game is just hard to forget. Ten years has passed since I've been playing for the first time, and the impressions, emotions are still with me. Those who had sad that it has a far greater story than Deus ex, are, as far as I am speaking for myself, correct. It needs that kind correction though, that the story in fact is a amazing book story, superior, to *any* game story, we have seen so far: including original Mafia story, or any good crpg, like Baldur's Gate. It is far greater too, than a few good books, I ve been reading. But, eventually, it is not ony history told so good, but also the mechanics of the game, ideas hidden here and there, make this game, the best one out there. Everything if perfectly balanced.
    Well, it would be great to se a another game taking place in Planescepe environment someday. Let's just hope it is possible.
  3. Sep 24, 2013
    If you said this is the best game ever made, I would not argue with you. It is hard to name a better game. This game reminds us of a time when developers cared about games like they were works of art (now, they make games designed to extract money by microtransactions and DLC). Play this game.
  4. Jun 30, 2014
    The apex of RPG writing. There is no other game where your decisions matter so much, where the world is so rich, where the characters are so compelling... I have been a pretty serious gamer for my entire 30 years and I am hard pressed to think of a game that has stuck with me the way Planescape: Torment has. If I tried to name what I think is my favorite game of all time from allThe apex of RPG writing. There is no other game where your decisions matter so much, where the world is so rich, where the characters are so compelling... I have been a pretty serious gamer for my entire 30 years and I am hard pressed to think of a game that has stuck with me the way Planescape: Torment has. If I tried to name what I think is my favorite game of all time from all genres... that's a difficult question, but this is certainly the best Single-Player RPG I have ever played, and I have played many. Expand
  5. Aug 5, 2014
    The deepest, most mature, most complex and the most incredible story ever told in a game? This is one of those titles that felt like something much more than a game, a piece of art. Greatest works of literature are running away in shame when they see Planescape: Torment. The unique world and characters are just so special, they give you the experience you will never forget and plant aThe deepest, most mature, most complex and the most incredible story ever told in a game? This is one of those titles that felt like something much more than a game, a piece of art. Greatest works of literature are running away in shame when they see Planescape: Torment. The unique world and characters are just so special, they give you the experience you will never forget and plant a question inside your head, that you will be thinking about even decades later - What can change the nature of a man? 10/10 Expand
  6. Dec 4, 2013
    What can change the nature of a man?
    This game throws the standards out the window. What is the usual end of your journey in any rpg related game? Death. That is not the case at all here, in fact you cannot die!
    That, however, doesn't mean a free ride through the game. Storytelling at its finest. Planescape: Torment is not just a game. It's a journey into a whole new universe. It is so
    What can change the nature of a man?
    That, however, doesn't mean a free ride through the game.
    Storytelling at its finest. Planescape: Torment is not just a game. It's a journey into a whole new universe. It is so unique, it doesn't get repetitive at any point, although its hack&slash combat style is very simple, it's still fun, and very story-connected. I'm rooting for the sequel to meet the expectations, and resuscitate the D&D RPGs. There has not been a game with story so memorable since.
    Hats off to Mr. Avellone for giving us this title.
  7. Sep 9, 2014
    The peak of storytelling in video games. A truly immersive, beautifully crafted, emotionally engaging adventure set in the Planescape D&D universe. My favorite game of all time.
  8. Oct 25, 2014
    welcome to Sigil the city of doors.... best city, best story, best mood, best game ever... true old school rpg with choices that actually matters. just give it a chance you will not regret it..
  9. Oct 27, 2014
    The best RPG ever. Still my favourite game after all these years. Not for everyone as the game is really wordy. There's always an alternative but it'd be much less fun if you're not inclined to read and explore the game much.
  10. Jan 2, 2014
    This game has among the best story/setting among video games. There's a great amount of attention given to setting details, and strong characterization from all of the party NPCs. Not everything gets explained to you all the time, and it leaves you with the feeling that you're one person in a larger world that's moving along with or without you.

The downsides of the game are that,

The downsides of the game are that, considering that the game is largely about dialog options and how you talk to people and so forth, the game itself won't tell you most of the time when your stats have given you a special dialog option, or your lack of stats have prevented you from picking an option. You have to read a guide to know any of that. Special dialog options being labeled didn't really become popular until some later RPGs that came after this one.

Also, the game is an Infinity Engine game, so naturally you have to vaguely understand the 2nd edition ADnD rules to get what's going on some of the time (same as Baldur's Gate or Icewind Dale). Ehhhh. I know how the combat system works from playing the table-top game and Baldur's Gate, so it doesn't bother me too much, but I could easily see how it might hold back someone who was otherwise unfamiliar with it and just wanted to play an RPG with a strong story element.

If you like RPGs that go in the direction of grinding for levels and stat building and so on, then this game isn't gonna be your thing. A few fights are hard, but most of the time if you just fight things that show up then you can just get through everything that's a fight without much trouble. The game doesn't even have much in the way of fights compared to most other RPGs. There's a lot of talking and doing stuff "in town" instead of "in dungeons".

If you like character based RPGs with lots of story, this game is exactly what you're looking for. A party full of interesting characters, and nice setting and quests that are a little unusual for fantasy, but not so unusual that you can't follow along with what's happening.
  11. Sep 3, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. *know* that this game will change everything. After you play it there is no going back, your standard for CRPGs, RPGs and games as a whole. This is the test, if you can't finish it, don't give it a bad review for your lack of taste. Expand
  12. Jan 27, 2015
    This is true cRPG. In my books, the best one of perhaps 10 games that deserve the name. Oh, and if you would like to play it on modern machine, do yourself a favor and follow a modding guide on GOG.
  13. Mar 1, 2015
    It is my dream to forget everything about this game and play it once again. The best story ever in games. I wish another game like this would be born one day.
  14. Apr 6, 2015
    Strong, unique narrative and a few interesting philosophical concepts, but it's not quite enough to totally overshadow the lame combat system and poor balancing of character attributes.

Pros: -Story, a lot of depth, perspective varies depending on player actions -Dialogue trees -Several joinable factions, and a number of alignments based on player actions -Artwork, setting Cons:

Pros:
    -Story, a lot of depth, perspective varies depending on player actions
    -Dialogue trees
    -Several joinable factions, and a number of alignments based on player actions
    -Artwork, setting

Cons:

-Combat is pointless and uninteresting (also rare)
    -Game is unbalanced... Strength, dexterity and constitution attributes are useless. Wisdom unlocks most dialogue options, with a few options being unlocked by intelligence and charisma. Mage class is 10000x stronger than your other options due to the above reasons
    -A few bugs, most can be fixed with unofficial patches, but a couple quest-breaking bugs persist
  15. Mar 31, 2015
    This game is a piece of art. I've never played in anything with similar depth in my life, and I've been playing games since 1992. Anyone looking for a remarkable experience should play it.
  16. Oct 23, 2014
    Honestly, I have yet to find a game that does what Planescape Torment did better. And it's been almost 20 years of searching. It will probably never happen,but if that day comes, it will be glorious.
  17. Jul 29, 2013
    I'll make this a very short review just so I can avoid going in depth with the story and gameplay so new players will be surprised when they discover such things on their own. This is merely an encouragement to those unsure of this game's high appraisal.

Yes, this game is every ounce as good as people say. It's well written, well executed, and also manages to be enthralling and fun all at the same time. It's debatable whether this is the best role playing game in the medium, but I find on par with the likes of Baldur's Gate II.

So, if you have never played Planescape: Torment, do so. I promise you will feel like it was worth it once you start playing.
  18. Jul 29, 2013
    Best RPG! It has very deep story and characters, intresting gameplay. Sad, that today RPG like that a very rare (Wither 1-2). Bad that this setting is closed.
  19. Sep 2, 2013
    This game is the second best game of all times(after Baldurs Gate 2).And it also has the best scenario and the most impresive philosofical questions that you can find in any game or in any book.And I say that after I have read a lot of books of Plato,Xenophon and Aristotelis so I know what I am talking about.Life and Death,Ideology and Social Views,Love and Friendship,Hope andThis game is the second best game of all times(after Baldurs Gate 2).And it also has the best scenario and the most impresive philosofical questions that you can find in any game or in any book.And I say that after I have read a lot of books of Plato,Xenophon and Aristotelis so I know what I am talking about.Life and Death,Ideology and Social Views,Love and Friendship,Hope and Despair,Wisdom and Madness all fight an eternal war for the soul of the protagonist.If you have a computer that can play the game without bugs play it.It will be the experience of a lifetime for you. Expand
  20. Nov 2, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The game was entertaining and well written. Sadly, it wasn't without problems. While I spent countless hours playing the game, trying to make a better world for the people in it, I was distraught at the ending. All your choices did not matter when you reached the ending and it left much untold. It saddened me after all that work, I couldn't do anything to change my characters fate. Expand
  21. Oct 5, 2014
    It is the first true epic game and an instant classic. But it is not without its flaws.
    First of all, it has way too many fedex type quests. It is too boring. That's -0.5.
    And then its combat is royally broken. So that's another -0.5.

But then again, as I say again, it's the first true epic game, so I give it +1 bonus, that it's 10.
  22. May 3, 2015
    Strength lies in *knowing* oneself. Best computer RPG ever written without a shadow of a doubt, and so far the only game in which I've felt repulsed from the evil options - I simply couldn't be a dick to Dak'kon.
  23. Mar 8, 2011
    I'll start by saying this is my favorite video game of all time. The story in unarguably the best out of any video game, and better than the average stories in many other medias. The game does have its faults, mostly in slow combat / gameplay and bugs. But they are all negligible once you get engrossed in the story and characters, which are truly great. Every quest has multiple ways ofI'll start by saying this is my favorite video game of all time. The story in unarguably the best out of any video game, and better than the average stories in many other medias. The game does have its faults, mostly in slow combat / gameplay and bugs. But they are all negligible once you get engrossed in the story and characters, which are truly great. Every quest has multiple ways of beating it, and its one of the few RPGs that allow you to play a mostly passive character if you wish (with only a handful of 'required' battles in the game.) This game does require a lot of reading, so if your in the mood for fun gameplay look elsewhere. But if youre looking for a truly remarkable role playing experience, you would be hard pressed to find any better than this. Expand
  24. Mar 23, 2011
    It's stupid to write another review but it's a generally well-known fact that I am a very stupid man so here we go: play this game, you dork. It's much better than the crap you're currently spending time on.
  25. Apr 3, 2011
    A timeless classic, and one of the pinnacles of gaming (not to mention the RPG genre). I played it many years ago, but I still remember how I was deeply impressed and moved by many of the situations the game managed to throw at you during your quest of self-discovery in an alien, highly allegorical world. The Sensate, for example, where one of the most interesting and well thought factionsA timeless classic, and one of the pinnacles of gaming (not to mention the RPG genre). I played it many years ago, but I still remember how I was deeply impressed and moved by many of the situations the game managed to throw at you during your quest of self-discovery in an alien, highly allegorical world. The Sensate, for example, where one of the most interesting and well thought factions in a PC game, and the fact that the Planescape source material was extremely strong and imaginative surely helped. The characters were a sight to behold, with extremely detailed personalities and many ideological conflicts between them cleverly used by the game to furtherly emphasize the setting's nuances. Expand
  26. Oct 22, 2011
    To me Planescape: Torment is pinnacle of storytelling in gaming. It has funny, personal and powerful story of identity, memory and redemption. It lacks in sheer playability and smoothness, but these do not cripple its might at all. To me Dak'kon of Skrathlor, Morte, The Transcendent One and others just as important characters than Tifa, Barret or Sephiroth.

The Nameless One (YOU) wakes at

The Nameless One (YOU) wakes at morgue. Its labourers are are rotten undead and your only guide about anything is snarky skull. So you set out to Sigil (city everywhere and nowhere) in quest to find about yourself. And you can't die, so something must be amiss. And it is and in matters you (PLAYER) can only imagine. AND IT IS AWESOME.

This game is great. Story about amnesiac immortal breaks down all cliches of genre and in addition it is covered with beautiful graphics, magnificent sound and completeley adequate playability. This game was not designed not to be fighting, but more about searching, learning and finally accepting what is true. Voice-acting has skilled names doing awesome roles and characters they play are real. Even snarky skull Morte is more than it seemsa, but he still is snarky skull. And in addition to this lovable coward you face zerth Dak'kon, succubus (she is chaste, prim and proper) Fall-From-Grace, tiefling Annah with most sexy scottish accent and insane Ignus- living and ecstatic conduit to Plane of Fire. All these and several more weirdos are just gravy on top of story, which ends in thoroughly epic (and nively smoothly played) Grande Finale.

Planescape: Torment is not about great AI of party members, smooth combat against hordes of goblins or about facing insane madman who just happens to be King of Highland. Planescape: Torment is great novel told in despised format of gaming and delivers sheer Art. Even though it is crude as game, it is amgnificent as story. In my eyes encounter between The Nameless One and The Transcendent One is just as epic as any other final boss.

This game is not a masterpiece. It is The Masterpiece. And I took no pleasure in its appearance.
  27. Feb 14, 2012
    People are still reviewing this? Good. Because this is not a game for ignoring, this is a game to be revelled in, to be celebrated. There is not much to add to what's already been written. I have to mention the characters in this game though - they are truly wonderful. I can still quote from all of them and it's about 4 years since I played. Recalling the music isn't a problem either. HowPeople are still reviewing this? Good. Because this is not a game for ignoring, this is a game to be revelled in, to be celebrated. There is not much to add to what's already been written. I have to mention the characters in this game though - they are truly wonderful. I can still quote from all of them and it's about 4 years since I played. Recalling the music isn't a problem either. How many games that you've played have that effect on you? Not many I'd guess. This game stands alone. Absolutely. Brilliant. Expand
  28. Feb 16, 2012
    Some people choose super mario as their nostalgic game of choice, some people sonic, others some obscure nes game. Me? Planescape torment is up there, right next to the original deus ex. And it even holds up today. Why? It has a truly unique world, populated with truly unique characters. And while this can be said about fallout - for instance, this stands alone. It is, and was - truly it'sSome people choose super mario as their nostalgic game of choice, some people sonic, others some obscure nes game. Me? Planescape torment is up there, right next to the original deus ex. And it even holds up today. Why? It has a truly unique world, populated with truly unique characters. And while this can be said about fallout - for instance, this stands alone. It is, and was - truly it's own inspiration. Original ideas are rare, and when you back them up with a game of supurb depth and length - and you are left with nothing but praise and awe. Better than dragon age origins and baldur's gate 2 both of which I consider masterpieces. That's how good planescape torment was, and is even today. And while deus ex remains a game I enjoyed more - this comes very close to taking every crown there is. 10/10, 100/100, 999/1000 Expand
  29. May 21, 2011
    Definitely the best RPG of all time. The only negative point I can find is the combat, although it isn't horrible. That one negative point does not manage to drag anything else down. Do not get it if you don't like reading at all.
  30. Mar 30, 2012
    I haven't come across a game with more depth. The number of characters and the length of their dialogues are incredible. Laconic, touched, witty, smarmy and demented replies are all accepted, but not always given good marks. Your incarnation of The Nameless One, one of a vast number of permutations to make his way through the Planescape, meets other lost or downtrodden wanderers, amiableI haven't come across a game with more depth. The number of characters and the length of their dialogues are incredible. Laconic, touched, witty, smarmy and demented replies are all accepted, but not always given good marks. Your incarnation of The Nameless One, one of a vast number of permutations to make his way through the Planescape, meets other lost or downtrodden wanderers, amiable or suspicious enough to accompany him on his journey. Even these characters have vast ideologies and backgrounds to explore and will often grant you boons in return for your interest. The attributes system grants points to each character as they gain experience. These points are allocated among traits: Strength, Dexterity, Constitution, Intelligence, Wisdom and Charisma. Each character will limit him/herself in various aspects: ability to wear armour types or wield weapons, carrying capacity, capability of combat styles, magical knowledge, casting adeptness, dialogue choices and persuasiveness. It's up to you to decide how useful or fitting these abilities are to fighters, mages, thieves or priests. The items picked up, stolen or crafted range from bog-standard to fantastical: weapons, armor or profound tattoos, that grant certain individuals additional attributes when worn; staple potions, radical medical curatives and pica chews; obscure artifacts, works of art and religious icons, usable only by certain theological alignments. Trying to comprehend how the game was written absolutely boggles the mind. A collection of interwoven worlds with plenty of obscure, tangential areas. Enough to stretch the length of gameplay to absurd levels. Expand
  31. Feb 17, 2012
    Planescape: Torment was one of the first RPGs I played. And sadly, it ruined the genre for me. "WHAT? How can such a classic ruin the genre for you! You complete numpty!", you might be thinking. Well, it didn't ruin RPGs for me because it was bad. Quite the opposite in fact. Torment is simply so good, that every RPG afterwards has been rather hum-drum in comparison. I'm sure that part ofPlanescape: Torment was one of the first RPGs I played. And sadly, it ruined the genre for me. "WHAT? How can such a classic ruin the genre for you! You complete numpty!", you might be thinking. Well, it didn't ruin RPGs for me because it was bad. Quite the opposite in fact. Torment is simply so good, that every RPG afterwards has been rather hum-drum in comparison. I'm sure that part of the reason is that Torment was one of my first forays into the wonderful world of (W)RPGs, but the game really is one of the classics.

The main reason is that the story, the setting, the characters and the atmosphere of the game are all unparalleled. This is not a tale of kings and queens, of lands that need to be saved or of damsels that need to de-stress after their distress. You're not the saviour, not the chosen one and, most of the time, not much of a hero either. This tale is a personal tale. It tells the story of an apparently immortal man who has no idea who he is, where he is or how he ended up not being able to die. In his journey for answers you meet a host of rather interesting characters and companions (a talking skull, an empty suit of armour and a chaste succubus among others) and you slowly discover hints about your past and why you ended up the way you did. An amnesiac main character isn't very original, (how many books and films have employed the same trick? I can't remember. Hmmm) but it is the way the story is told that makes it so engaging. The game implies instead of explains and leaves the player to fill in blanks, which makes the tale all the more engaging. The setting is delightfully weird and a breath of fresh air for people sick of the enormous deluge of RPGs set in a faux-medieval, faux-european faux-fantasy land. In this game, no elfs in sight! No dwarves either, not even when you look down! The game takes place, for the most part, in the city of Sigil, the city of Doors and the centre of existence. Here you can take portals to all the known and unknown planes. If you can find the right key, that is. Belief is power in the City of Doors and the power of belief manifests in reality. Get enough people to belief in your idea and see it come to pass, lose the belief of your people and even Gods might as well be dead.

Yeah, yeah, the game spins a grand tale. We get it! How about the rest? The nitty-gritty, the meat and potatoes? In short, the combat? Well, the setting, story and characters are really the main strenghts of the game. This is a game to play if you like a good story, a different world and if you enjoy reading. Do your preferences lean more towards the combat side of games, then this title is not for you.
    There is combat in the game, reminiscent of games like Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale, but it feels sluggish and gets boring quickly. The combat spell effects are rather special though, so playing as a mage will give you some graphical satisfaction during combat.

Graphically, the isometric 2D view works well for the game, and the detailed and colourful backgrounds are beautiful, even more than ten years later. The music and sound effects have also held up well and add to an already impressively atmospheric game.

In short, Planescape:Torment is an absolute classic for its storyline, setting and atmosphere and deserves to be played by anyone interested in a story-driven game. Combat is not the game's strong point, so action fanatics may pass this one up. Well, you should still try it just so you can say you played it, but you probably won't like it all that much.

1. Yet another astounding title out the doors of the Black Isle factory.
    Torment boasts a thoroughly enjoyable story line, and I can pretty much guarantee you won't be guessing how it all ends up with any degree of accuracy. This game has very few weaknesses, and predictability is certainly not one of them!
    Torment's graphics and sound are paradise. Gorgeous, hand-drawn backgrounds look sumptuous, even if they're overcome with dark, moody, colors.