Planescape: Torment PC

9.3

1. JohnR
    Jun 9, 2008
    Planescape : Torment is philosophy for the video-gamer and undoubtedly has the best story ever to grace any computer game, Deus Ex included. You will have to be prepared to do a lot of reading in order to enjoy this profound tale. If you've ever come across the ideas of Nietzsche, Heidegger or Plato (and others, including Eastern philosophy and mysticism) you'll be spooked out Planescape : Torment is philosophy for the video-gamer and undoubtedly has the best story ever to grace any computer game, Deus Ex included. You will have to be prepared to do a lot of reading in order to enjoy this profound tale. If you've ever come across the ideas of Nietzsche, Heidegger or Plato (and others, including Eastern philosophy and mysticism) you'll be spooked out when you play this game. It is text heavy and in this respect plays much like an old-fashioned text-adventure but otherwise it plays the same as the other (also brilliant) Infinity Engine games : there's a fair amount of combat plus plenty of quests and some of the weirdest and most wonderful locations, NPCs and enemies you're every likely to come across. The level of interaction which is possible between party members and other NPCs is still unparalleled today. The artwork is wonderful and if you can muster the patience to get involved in the deepest game you will ever play you won't notice that it's all in low resolution. There is a widescreen mod available for this game, I believe. My co-favourite of all time along with the two Baldur's Gates. Expand
  2. Aug 15, 2010
    This game is just hard to forget. Ten years has passed since I've been playing for the first time, and the impressions, emotions are still with me. Those who had sad that it has a far greater story than Deus ex, are, as far as I am speaking for myself, correct. It needs that kind correction though, that the story in fact is a amazing book story, superior, to *any* game story, we have seenThis game is just hard to forget. Ten years has passed since I've been playing for the first time, and the impressions, emotions are still with me. Those who had sad that it has a far greater story than Deus ex, are, as far as I am speaking for myself, correct. It needs that kind correction though, that the story in fact is a amazing book story, superior, to *any* game story, we have seen so far: including original Mafia story, or any good crpg, like Baldur's Gate. It is far greater too, than a few good books, I ve been reading. But, eventually, it is not ony history told so good, but also the mechanics of the game, ideas hidden here and there, make this game, the best one out there. Everything if perfectly balanced.
    Well, it would be great to se a another game taking place in Planescepe environment someday. Let's just hope it is possible.
  3. Jan 2, 2014
    This game has among the best story/setting among video games. There's a great amount of attention given to setting details, and strong characterization from all of the party NPCs. Not everything gets explained to you all the time, and it leaves you with the feeling that you're one person in a larger world that's moving along with or without you.

The downsides of the game are that,

The downsides of the game are that, considering that the game is largely about dialog options and how you talk to people and so forth, the game itself won't tell you most of the time when your stats have given you a special dialog option, or your lack of stats have prevented you from picking an option. You have to read a guide to know any of that. Special dialog options being labeled didn't really become popular until some later RPGs that came after this one.

Also, the game is an Infinity Engine game, so naturally you have to vaguely understand the 2nd edition ADnD rules to get what's going on some of the time (same as Baldur's Gate or Icewind Dale). Ehhhh. I know how the combat system works from playing the table-top game and Baldur's Gate, so it doesn't bother me too much, but I could easily see how it might hold back someone who was otherwise unfamiliar with it and just wanted to play an RPG with a strong story element.

If you like RPGs that go in the direction of grinding for levels and stat building and so on, then this game isn't gonna be your thing. A few fights are hard, but most of the time if you just fight things that show up then you can just get through everything that's a fight without much trouble. The game doesn't even have much in the way of fights compared to most other RPGs. There's a lot of talking and doing stuff "in town" instead of "in dungeons".

If you like character based RPGs with lots of story, this game is exactly what you're looking for. A party full of interesting characters, and nice setting and quests that are a little unusual for fantasy, but not so unusual that you can't follow along with what's happening.
  4. Sep 2, 2013
    This game is the second best game of all times(after Baldurs Gate 2).And it also has the best scenario and the most impresive philosofical questions that you can find in any game or in any book.And I say that after I have read a lot of books of Plato,Xenophon and Aristotelis so I know what I am talking about.Life and Death,Ideology and Social Views,Love and Friendship,Hope andThis game is the second best game of all times(after Baldurs Gate 2).And it also has the best scenario and the most impresive philosofical questions that you can find in any game or in any book.And I say that after I have read a lot of books of Plato,Xenophon and Aristotelis so I know what I am talking about.Life and Death,Ideology and Social Views,Love and Friendship,Hope and Despair,Wisdom and Madness all fight an eternal war for the soul of the protagonist.If you have a computer that can play the game without bugs play it.It will be the experience of a lifetime for you. Expand
  5. Apr 6, 2015
    Strong, unique narrative and a few interesting philosophical concepts, but it's not quite enough to totally overshadow the lame combat system and poor balancing of character attributes.

Pros: -Story, a lot of depth, perspective varies depending on player actions -Dialogue trees -Several joinable factions, and a number of alignments based on player actions -Artwork, setting Cons:

Pros:
    -Story, a lot of depth, perspective varies depending on player actions
    -Dialogue trees
    -Several joinable factions, and a number of alignments based on player actions
    -Artwork, setting

Cons:

-Combat is pointless and uninteresting (also rare)
    -Game is unbalanced... Strength, dexterity and constitution attributes are useless. Wisdom unlocks most dialogue options, with a few options being unlocked by intelligence and charisma. Mage class is 10000x stronger than your other options due to the above reasons
    -A few bugs, most can be fixed with unofficial patches, but a couple quest-breaking bugs persist
  6. Mar 8, 2011
    I'll start by saying this is my favorite video game of all time. The story in unarguably the best out of any video game, and better than the average stories in many other medias. The game does have its faults, mostly in slow combat / gameplay and bugs. But they are all negligible once you get engrossed in the story and characters, which are truly great. Every quest has multiple ways ofI'll start by saying this is my favorite video game of all time. The story in unarguably the best out of any video game, and better than the average stories in many other medias. The game does have its faults, mostly in slow combat / gameplay and bugs. But they are all negligible once you get engrossed in the story and characters, which are truly great. Every quest has multiple ways of beating it, and its one of the few RPGs that allow you to play a mostly passive character if you wish (with only a handful of 'required' battles in the game.) This game does require a lot of reading, so if your in the mood for fun gameplay look elsewhere. But if youre looking for a truly remarkable role playing experience, you would be hard pressed to find any better than this. Expand
  7. Mar 23, 2011
    It's stupid to write another review but it's a generally well-known fact that I am a very stupid man so here we go: play this game, you dork. It's much better than the crap you're currently spending time on.
  8. Feb 16, 2012
    Some people choose super mario as their nostalgic game of choice, some people sonic, others some obscure nes game. Me? Planescape torment is up there, right next to the original deus ex. And it even holds up today. Why? It has a truly unique world, populated with truly unique characters. And while this can be said about fallout - for instance, this stands alone. It is, and was - truly it'sSome people choose super mario as their nostalgic game of choice, some people sonic, others some obscure nes game. Me? Planescape torment is up there, right next to the original deus ex. And it even holds up today. Why? It has a truly unique world, populated with truly unique characters. And while this can be said about fallout - for instance, this stands alone. It is, and was - truly it's own inspiration. Original ideas are rare, and when you back them up with a game of supurb depth and length - and you are left with nothing but praise and awe. Better than dragon age origins and baldur's gate 2 both of which I consider masterpieces. That's how good planescape torment was, and is even today. And while deus ex remains a game I enjoyed more - this comes very close to taking every crown there is. 10/10, 100/100, 999/1000 Expand
  9. Apr 3, 2011
    A timeless classic, and one of the pinnacles of gaming (not to mention the RPG genre). I played it many years ago, but I still remember how I was deeply impressed and moved by many of the situations the game managed to throw at you during your quest of self-discovery in an alien, highly allegorical world. The Sensate, for example, where one of the most interesting and well thought factionsA timeless classic, and one of the pinnacles of gaming (not to mention the RPG genre). I played it many years ago, but I still remember how I was deeply impressed and moved by many of the situations the game managed to throw at you during your quest of self-discovery in an alien, highly allegorical world. The Sensate, for example, where one of the most interesting and well thought factions in a PC game, and the fact that the Planescape source material was extremely strong and imaginative surely helped. The characters were a sight to behold, with extremely detailed personalities and many ideological conflicts between them cleverly used by the game to furtherly emphasize the setting's nuances. Expand
  10. May 21, 2011
    Definitely the best RPG of all time. The only negative point I can find is the combat, although it isn't horrible. That one negative point does not manage to drag anything else down. Do not get it if you don't like reading at all.
  11. Dec 16, 2011
    You either quit playing this game after the first hour or get sucked into the planes. From the technician's point of view it's quite awful game. The story and characters are undoubtedly best of all video games ever made. Give it a shot. Maybe do not try to treat it as a video game, think of it as a story or even a "book".
  12. Oct 22, 2011
    To me Planescape: Torment is pinnacle of storytelling in gaming. It has funny, personal and powerful story of identity, memory and redemption. It lacks in sheer playability and smoothness, but these do not cripple its might at all. To me Dak'kon of Skrathlor, Morte, The Transcendent One and others just as important characters than Tifa, Barret or Sephiroth.

The Nameless One (YOU) wakes at

The Nameless One (YOU) wakes at morgue. Its labourers are are rotten undead and your only guide about anything is snarky skull. So you set out to Sigil (city everywhere and nowhere) in quest to find about yourself. And you can't die, so something must be amiss. And it is and in matters you (PLAYER) can only imagine. AND IT IS AWESOME.

This game is great. Story about amnesiac immortal breaks down all cliches of genre and in addition it is covered with beautiful graphics, magnificent sound and completeley adequate playability. This game was not designed not to be fighting, but more about searching, learning and finally accepting what is true. Voice-acting has skilled names doing awesome roles and characters they play are real. Even snarky skull Morte is more than it seemsa, but he still is snarky skull. And in addition to this lovable coward you face zerth Dak'kon, succubus (she is chaste, prim and proper) Fall-From-Grace, tiefling Annah with most sexy scottish accent and insane Ignus- living and ecstatic conduit to Plane of Fire. All these and several more weirdos are just gravy on top of story, which ends in thoroughly epic (and nively smoothly played) Grande Finale.

Planescape: Torment is not about great AI of party members, smooth combat against hordes of goblins or about facing insane madman who just happens to be King of Highland. Planescape: Torment is great novel told in despised format of gaming and delivers sheer Art. Even though it is crude as game, it is amgnificent as story. In my eyes encounter between The Nameless One and The Transcendent One is just as epic as any other final boss.

This game is not a masterpiece. It is The Masterpiece. And I took no pleasure in its appearance.
  13. Feb 14, 2012
    People are still reviewing this? Good. Because this is not a game for ignoring, this is a game to be revelled in, to be celebrated. There is not much to add to what's already been written. I have to mention the characters in this game though - they are truly wonderful. I can still quote from all of them and it's about 4 years since I played. Recalling the music isn't a problem either. HowPeople are still reviewing this? Good. Because this is not a game for ignoring, this is a game to be revelled in, to be celebrated. There is not much to add to what's already been written. I have to mention the characters in this game though - they are truly wonderful. I can still quote from all of them and it's about 4 years since I played. Recalling the music isn't a problem either. How many games that you've played have that effect on you? Not many I'd guess. This game stands alone. Absolutely. Brilliant. Expand
  14. Mar 30, 2012
    I haven't come across a game with more depth. The number of characters and the length of their dialogues are incredible. Laconic, touched, witty, smarmy and demented replies are all accepted, but not always given good marks. Your incarnation of The Nameless One, one of a vast number of permutations to make his way through the Planescape, meets other lost or downtrodden wanderers, amiableI haven't come across a game with more depth. The number of characters and the length of their dialogues are incredible. Laconic, touched, witty, smarmy and demented replies are all accepted, but not always given good marks. Your incarnation of The Nameless One, one of a vast number of permutations to make his way through the Planescape, meets other lost or downtrodden wanderers, amiable or suspicious enough to accompany him on his journey. Even these characters have vast ideologies and backgrounds to explore and will often grant you boons in return for your interest. The attributes system grants points to each character as they gain experience. These points are allocated among traits: Strength, Dexterity, Constitution, Intelligence, Wisdom and Charisma. Each character will limit him/herself in various aspects: ability to wear armour types or wield weapons, carrying capacity, capability of combat styles, magical knowledge, casting adeptness, dialogue choices and persuasiveness. It's up to you to decide how useful or fitting these abilities are to fighters, mages, thieves or priests. The items picked up, stolen or crafted range from bog-standard to fantastical: weapons, armor or profound tattoos, that grant certain individuals additional attributes when worn; staple potions, radical medical curatives and pica chews; obscure artifacts, works of art and religious icons, usable only by certain theological alignments. Trying to comprehend how the game was written absolutely boggles the mind. A collection of interwoven worlds with plenty of obscure, tangential areas. Enough to stretch the length of gameplay to absurd levels. Expand
  15. Feb 17, 2012
    Planescape: Torment was one of the first RPGs I played. And sadly, it ruined the genre for me. "WHAT? How can such a classic ruin the genre for you! You complete numpty!", you might be thinking. Well, it didn't ruin RPGs for me because it was bad. Quite the opposite in fact. Torment is simply so good, that every RPG afterwards has been rather hum-drum in comparison. I'm sure that part ofPlanescape: Torment was one of the first RPGs I played. And sadly, it ruined the genre for me. "WHAT? How can such a classic ruin the genre for you! You complete numpty!", you might be thinking. Well, it didn't ruin RPGs for me because it was bad. Quite the opposite in fact. Torment is simply so good, that every RPG afterwards has been rather hum-drum in comparison. I'm sure that part of the reason is that Torment was one of my first forays into the wonderful world of (W)RPGs, but the game really is one of the classics.

The main reason is that the story, the setting, the characters and the atmosphere of the game are all unparalleled. This is not a tale of kings and queens, of lands that need to be saved or of damsels that need to de-stress after their distress. You're not the saviour, not the chosen one and, most of the time, not much of a hero either. This tale is a personal tale. It tells the story of an apparently immortal man who has no idea who he is, where he is or how he ended up not being able to die. In his journey for answers you meet a host of rather interesting characters and companions (a talking skull, an empty suit of armour and a chaste succubus among others) and you slowly discover hints about your past and why you ended up the way you did. An amnesiac main character isn't very original, (how many books and films have employed the same trick? I can't remember. Hmmm) but it is the way the story is told that makes it so engaging. The game implies instead of explains and leaves the player to fill in blanks, which makes the tale all the more engaging. The setting is delightfully weird and a breath of fresh air for people sick of the enormous deluge of RPGs set in a faux-medieval, faux-european faux-fantasy land. In this game, no elfs in sight! No dwarves either, not even when you look down! The game takes place, for the most part, in the city of Sigil, the city of Doors and the centre of existence. Here you can take portals to all the known and unknown planes. If you can find the right key, that is. Belief is power in the City of Doors and the power of belief manifests in reality. Get enough people to belief in your idea and see it come to pass, lose the belief of your people and even Gods might as well be dead.

Yeah, yeah, the game spins a grand tale. We get it! How about the rest? The nitty-gritty, the meat and potatoes? In short, the combat? Well, the setting, story and characters are really the main strenghts of the game. This is a game to play if you like a good story, a different world and if you enjoy reading. Do your preferences lean more towards the combat side of games, then this title is not for you.
    There is combat in the game, reminiscent of games like Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale, but it feels sluggish and gets boring quickly. The combat spell effects are rather special though, so playing as a mage will give you some graphical satisfaction during combat.

Graphically, the isometric 2D view works well for the game, and the detailed and colourful backgrounds are beautiful, even more than ten years later. The music and sound effects have also held up well and add to an already impressively atmospheric game.

In short, Planescape:Torment is an absolute classic for its storyline, setting and atmosphere and deserves to be played by anyone interested in a story-driven game. Combat is not the game's strong point, so action fanatics may pass this one up. Well, you should still try it just so you can say you played it, but you probably won't like it all that much.
  16. ChaiK.
    Jun 14, 2008
    After so many ears i still easily find myself loading up my saved games just to bring up certain interactions between the characters. I must have at least played the game 5 times now. It is one of those story that will stay with you even after many years, sort of like cult classics such as Highlander 1, Back To The Future Trilogy, Batman Begins etc. Its a shame that the newer graphic After so many ears i still easily find myself loading up my saved games just to bring up certain interactions between the characters. I must have at least played the game 5 times now. It is one of those story that will stay with you even after many years, sort of like cult classics such as Highlander 1, Back To The Future Trilogy, Batman Begins etc. Its a shame that the newer graphic cards do not support certain part of the game such as spell-casting. Expand
  17. UK_John
    Feb 1, 2007
    Planescape Torment, if it were a film, ut would be Citizen Kane or Ben Hur. If it were a book, it would be War and Peace, or something by Shakespeare. It is, by far, the most artistic, mature, creative story ever penned in any media. It has characters that have the deepness of life-long friends, it has more emotion than a Rocky film and does all this in a way that makes reading enjoying Planescape Torment, if it were a film, ut would be Citizen Kane or Ben Hur. If it were a book, it would be War and Peace, or something by Shakespeare. It is, by far, the most artistic, mature, creative story ever penned in any media. It has characters that have the deepness of life-long friends, it has more emotion than a Rocky film and does all this in a way that makes reading enjoying again, with immersion that takes you to another world like no book or movie has done before. It is a work of art and will be remembered for as long as anyone who has played it is still alive on this planet. It is, of course, the greatest game ever published, on any format. If you have not bought this game, do so, challenge yourself, stretch your mind. You will never be the same person again and you will know yourself better than you did before playing it. It is that profound an experience to play. Expand
  18. IvanM.
    Aug 14, 2007
    The best game I have ever played in twenty years of computer gaming, bar none (and I have played a LOT of games). Eight years on I can still recall how profoundly that game gripped me, and I am not an overly emotional person. You will care about the characters, you will be moved, you will make choices that tell you more about yourself. It sounds trite, I know, but it really is that good. The best game I have ever played in twenty years of computer gaming, bar none (and I have played a LOT of games). Eight years on I can still recall how profoundly that game gripped me, and I am not an overly emotional person. You will care about the characters, you will be moved, you will make choices that tell you more about yourself. It sounds trite, I know, but it really is that good. If only someone would make more of these...insightful, intelligent, devastatingly creative. Fallout is the only RPG to come close. A word of warning: You MUST read all the text, explore all the dialogue options, if you are to gain the most from the game. A decent intelligence and wisdom score is recommended.....although so is a decent score in everything else....the game does the best job of making usually superflous statistics genuinely useful that I have ever seen. Still very much worth playing. Expand
  19. Richard
    Nov 29, 2005
    Easily the finest, most engrossing, most brilliant conceived game ever made. Flawless, and almost painfully intelligent.
  20. Mar 8, 2011
    The best story ever told.The most influential RPG ever.The best RPG ever.The most intriguing main character to play with.The most interesting NPC character stories ever told.Enigmatic atmosphere and beautiful musical background done by Mark Morgan made this game specific and flawless.But the most important thing that makes this game unique is novel-like conversation system.Which gives thisThe best story ever told.The most influential RPG ever.The best RPG ever.The most intriguing main character to play with.The most interesting NPC character stories ever told.Enigmatic atmosphere and beautiful musical background done by Mark Morgan made this game specific and flawless.But the most important thing that makes this game unique is novel-like conversation system.Which gives this game soul,and distinction from other games.There's only One,not Many.Not Baldurs Gate,nor Fallout,nor Icewind Dale,nor Morrowind,nor DIablo or any other.There's only One.And i qoute:'' What can change the nature of a man?'' Expand
  21. Mar 28, 2011
    This is the best written computer game. Story, setting, and DnD character and alignment system blend perfectly. Everything is connected the world of this game. After I played Planescape: Torment, my ability to enjoy other, inferior, RPGs was severely diminished. Infinity engine combat system was flawed, but with the importance the game places on dialogues dominating the importance ofThis is the best written computer game. Story, setting, and DnD character and alignment system blend perfectly. Everything is connected the world of this game. After I played Planescape: Torment, my ability to enjoy other, inferior, RPGs was severely diminished. Infinity engine combat system was flawed, but with the importance the game places on dialogues dominating the importance of combat, flaws of combat can be neglected. Expand
  22. May 18, 2011
    Stop playing your Dragon Age 2s and your Call of Duty 17s, with the Pokemon and the jello pudding, and PLAY THIS GAME.

Seeing as how every review before me has already said this, I will redundantly add that this is *the* best RPG (re: game of any kind) that has ever been made. Make this game *known* to you. I will would literally spend my entire fortune and kill a homeless person to see a developer take up the monumental task of remaking of this game for the 21st century. WHY ARE YOU STILL READING THIS? BUY THIS GAME.
  23. AlexanderS.
    Mar 7, 2003
    Torment is THE game for any person who gain any enjoyment from philosopical, theological and deeply horrifying thoughts. That is, any person with any intelligent thoughts what-so-ever. Play this game and if you are not one of the stupid people in this world you will, and must, LOVE this game.
  24. MirkoB.
    Sep 17, 2009
    Simply astonishing, totally unmatched experience. ten years after the release some of the interface and mechanics could leave a feel that there could be improvements, but the game IS the story and the characters, and that are still fantastic!
  25. GaupepasserS.
    Jun 17, 2007
    Intellectually sating, emotionally riveting, totally immersive and immensely atmospheric. Game creators, take heed! This is the stuff that dreams are made of.
  26. K.P.
    Apr 14, 2007
    The best RPG to have come out, and still 8 years later as deeply etched in one's very soul as to bring a lump in my throat just thinking about how great it is. Lovable, affectionate characters, a dark, emphatic storyline and a tremendously philosophical, imaginative storyline - it is, in my mind, unchallenged at the very top, though some games have tried for the new top dog. If you The best RPG to have come out, and still 8 years later as deeply etched in one's very soul as to bring a lump in my throat just thinking about how great it is. Lovable, affectionate characters, a dark, emphatic storyline and a tremendously philosophical, imaginative storyline - it is, in my mind, unchallenged at the very top, though some games have tried for the new top dog. If you like games that really immerse you in every sense of the word, you will love this one for the rest of your days. Expand
  27. Feb 26, 2012
    I made account here just to give 10 to this masterpiece. One of the best games ever made. I prefer BG II to Planescape, but in my opinion PS:T has better story. What is the nature of man? Immortal lover, immortal killer, neverending pain and torment - this game is a philosophical masterpiece.
  28. May 29, 2012
    I've never seen another game like this after I first played it. The closet I ever got was Fate Stay/Night and other Japanese visual novels with English subtitles.

The story, as described by others, is phenomenal. The characters are bonded to the protagonist, and thus to the player. True role playing, not in the sense that the player gets to decide to write up a backstory that the CRPG doesn't even know exist, but to role play as the protagonist in a story someone else write especially for this CRPG. The graphics in a lot of ways is aesthetically more pleasing than Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, and Neverwinter Nights. You can see a lot of details and each character has a large enough sprite slot that the animation is smooth and the combat actions are true. In BG, half of your characters look the same and have no "artistic identity". But here, there is a pure difference between all the NPCs and the main protagonist.
  29. SHODAN
    Jan 12, 2008
    In playing Planescape: Torment, it becomes clear that the game is a construct of the ideals and carefully considered philosophies of passionate, hard-working minds. One gets the impression that "Torment" is a product of some irretrievable, perfect circumstance whereby a team of like-minded individuals were free to think and work outside of monetary and publisher constraints. Everything In playing Planescape: Torment, it becomes clear that the game is a construct of the ideals and carefully considered philosophies of passionate, hard-working minds. One gets the impression that "Torment" is a product of some irretrievable, perfect circumstance whereby a team of like-minded individuals were free to think and work outside of monetary and publisher constraints. Everything about the game seems thoughtful and inherently intelligent as well as being masterfully crafted. The stellar, original art and sound direction compliment it's well-written, intricate plot. It is a detailed and subtle world inhabited by believably complex and meaningful characters with their own back stories and motivations. Instead of feeling that I was the center of the world, it seemed like it was all happening around me. I felt that I was killing real people for real reasons. Torment, like other brilliantly designed titles (i.e. Deus Ex, Fallout 2, Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn) forced me to empathize and think. Such things define 'art'. You'll really need to just play it to see what is meant. Expand
  30. Jan 8, 2012
    Finished. It was great. I still can't believe I haven't heard of it before. The story was incredible, the only game that has a story like PST is The Witcher 2, and that's it. Though the combat could be stupid at times, the dialogues and the story far make up for It.
  31. Mar 21, 2012
    Over a decade later, and I can safely say this for role-playing games (and perhaps all games): they just don't make them like they used to. I played Planescape: Torment when I was much younger and could not grasp much of its complexity. I return to it now and see that it is, without a doubt, the best RPG I have played so far. The story is profound and mind-bending, as are all theOver a decade later, and I can safely say this for role-playing games (and perhaps all games): they just don't make them like they used to. I played Planescape: Torment when I was much younger and could not grasp much of its complexity. I return to it now and see that it is, without a doubt, the best RPG I have played so far. The story is profound and mind-bending, as are all the characters in it. Through many a dialogue did I feel genuinely moved, awed, or chilled to the bone. What's more, the gameplay is open-ended and relies on you being resourceful. It does not hold your hand, it does not walk you through tutorials--NO! Like the Nameless One, you wake in a cold, dark world with nothing, not even your memories, and you must go forth to solve the mystery of YOURSELF using your wits and what few scraps you have. Combat is the same way. It forces you to constantly change your strategies and take advantage of the many spells, skills, and items you acquire along the way. At the same time, you are required to concentrate on the dialogue in order to puzzle out the various clues you collect throughout your journey. Torment is so well-written, however, that it unfolds like a darkly poetic novel. Ultimately, if you put enough thought and energy into Planescape: Torment, it comes to life in an extraordinary way. Few games (if any) can compare. It was definitely worth the hours of finagling it took to get this old masterpiece running on my modern desktop. Collapse

1. Yet another astounding title out the doors of the Black Isle factory.
    Torment boasts a thoroughly enjoyable story line, and I can pretty much guarantee you won't be guessing how it all ends up with any degree of accuracy. This game has very few weaknesses, and predictability is certainly not one of them!
    Torment's graphics and sound are paradise. Gorgeous, hand-drawn backgrounds look sumptuous, even if they're overcome with dark, moody, colors.