9.4

1. Aug 15, 2010
    This game is just hard to forget. Ten years has passed since I've been playing for the first time, and the impressions, emotions are still with me. Those who had sad that it has a far greater story than Deus ex, are, as far as I am speaking for myself, correct. It needs that kind correction though, that the story in fact is a amazing book story, superior, to *any* game story, we have seen so far: including original Mafia story, or any good crpg, like Baldur's Gate. It is far greater too, than a few good books, I ve been reading. But, eventually, it is not ony history told so good, but also the mechanics of the game, ideas hidden here and there, make this game, the best one out there. Everything if perfectly balanced.
    Well, it would be great to se a another game taking place in Planescepe environment someday. Let's just hope it is possible.
  2. Sep 27, 2011
    Simply one of the best games ever created... there are no rpgs today that reach the level of depth of this game... This is one of the game that you have to play before you die!
  3. Jan 19, 2011
    To be sincere... never played it! But my boyfriend is a big fan (in fact is his favourite game)... so... I can say (instead of him) that the game looks pretty good and the story interesting. Well... I was not talking in his words... he'd say TOTALLY RECOMENDED... AMAZING... THRILLING... of course if you're the kind of person who loves reading even if the story takes you 1h and a half... you'd love this one. Expand
  4. Dec 26, 2012
    The short version is that it's the best game ever made.

The long version... it's an Infinity Engine game, which means 2D graphics in isometric view, similar to Baldur's Gate, and very low resolution. It also means that it is difficult to get this game to run on a modern machine. Do some googling for fan-made patches (which can also fix the low resolution), but even with those the game
    is finicky.
    It's a role-playing game based on Dungeons & Dragons 2nd Ed., in the Planescape setting (which WotC later abandoned), but the producers intentionally set out to break every role playing game cliche in the book. Stay your hand, talk to people, even creatures you'd in other games kill without a second's hesitation - in *this* game it might be a lost friend with clues to your past.

Planescape: Torment is something as unusual in gaming as a tragedy: you guide a small band of remarkable but ragged and broken individuals in the hard and unforgiving Planes, you watch friendship and love grow, but as the iron logic of the story unfolds you, the player, soon realize that there can be no happy end to this tale. However, while tragedies don't have happy endings, they do pack massive emotional punch and grant the viewer catharsis - and Planescape: Torment is an oh-so-very good tragedy.

Some don't like the slow pace, the bizarre setting, the reams of text or the clunky combat, but if you're lucky and can immerse yourself in this game, then you're in for an experience which will stay with you for the rest of your life.
  5. Mar 8, 2011
    The best story ever told.The most influential RPG ever.The best RPG ever.The most intriguing main character to play with.The most interesting NPC character stories ever told.Enigmatic atmosphere and beautiful musical background done by Mark Morgan made this game specific and flawless.But the most important thing that makes this game unique is novel-like conversation system.Which gives this game soul,and distinction from other games.There's only One,not Many.Not Baldurs Gate,nor Fallout,nor Icewind Dale,nor Morrowind,nor DIablo or any other.There's only One.And i qoute:'' What can change the nature of a man?'' Expand
  6. Mar 28, 2011
    This is the best written computer game. Story, setting, and DnD character and alignment system blend perfectly. Everything is connected the world of this game. After I played Planescape: Torment, my ability to enjoy other, inferior, RPGs was severely diminished. Infinity engine combat system was flawed, but with the importance the game places on dialogues dominating the importance of combat, flaws of combat can be neglected. Expand
  7. Mar 8, 2011
    I'll start by saying this is my favorite video game of all time. The story in unarguably the best out of any video game, and better than the average stories in many other medias. The game does have its faults, mostly in slow combat / gameplay and bugs. But they are all negligible once you get engrossed in the story and characters, which are truly great. Every quest has multiple ways of beating it, and its one of the few RPGs that allow you to play a mostly passive character if you wish (with only a handful of 'required' battles in the game.) This game does require a lot of reading, so if your in the mood for fun gameplay look elsewhere. But if youre looking for a truly remarkable role playing experience, you would be hard pressed to find any better than this. Expand
  8. Mar 23, 2011
    It's stupid to write another review but it's a generally well-known fact that I am a very stupid man so here we go: play this game, you dork. It's much better than the crap you're currently spending time on.
  9. Sep 28, 2011
    Best role playing game...ever! The incredible story is unrivaled by most RPGs except the few elite ones out there. I played this game back when it was released and it was overshadowed by the more combat oriented Baldur's Gate series (amazing game as well). You have to experience this game to realize how good it is. Graphics are dated but the wonderful artwork coupled with mods that improve resolution make this game still a beautiful game to play.Worth for players that never experience non-3D graphics. Expand
  10. Feb 14, 2012
    People are still reviewing this? Good. Because this is not a game for ignoring, this is a game to be revelled in, to be celebrated. There is not much to add to what's already been written. I have to mention the characters in this game though - they are truly wonderful. I can still quote from all of them and it's about 4 years since I played. Recalling the music isn't a problem either. How many games that you've played have that effect on you? Not many I'd guess. This game stands alone. Absolutely. Brilliant. Expand
  11. Jun 19, 2012
    The world of Planescape: Torment can capture the imagination like few others. The intricate, well thought out philosophical/political landscape brings the city of Sigil to life and the developers put as much thought into what it means to have a protagonist who is immortal. If you are a fan of Neverwinter Nights, Baldur's Gate, or other pen and paper inspired RPGs this is a must play. If you've never played Dungeons and Dragons this could be the game that sparks a new hobby Expand
  12. Mar 18, 2011
    What is there to say about this game except that it was a tragedy that it was not a commercial success. It is, simply put, the best RPG ever made. It is by no means for everyone; it is a gamer's game. It is for people who want to think...even meditate...about their gaming experience. There is no shoot-em up. There are no friends for you to play with it. There is no world to save. It contradicts just about everything that modern gaming has become. It is a masterpiece. Expand
  13. Jan 8, 2012
    Finished. It was great. I still can't believe I haven't heard of it before. The story was incredible, the only game that has a story like PST is The Witcher 2, and that's it. Though the combat could be stupid at times, the dialogues and the story far make up for It.
  14. Feb 16, 2012
    Some people choose super mario as their nostalgic game of choice, some people sonic, others some obscure nes game. Me? Planescape torment is up there, right next to the original deus ex. And it even holds up today. Why? It has a truly unique world, populated with truly unique characters. And while this can be said about fallout - for instance, this stands alone. It is, and was - truly it's own inspiration. Original ideas are rare, and when you back them up with a game of supurb depth and length - and you are left with nothing but praise and awe. Better than dragon age origins and baldur's gate 2 both of which I consider masterpieces. That's how good planescape torment was, and is even today. And while deus ex remains a game I enjoyed more - this comes very close to taking every crown there is. 10/10, 100/100, 999/1000 Expand
  15. Apr 3, 2011
    A timeless classic, and one of the pinnacles of gaming (not to mention the RPG genre). I played it many years ago, but I still remember how I was deeply impressed and moved by many of the situations the game managed to throw at you during your quest of self-discovery in an alien, highly allegorical world. The Sensate, for example, where one of the most interesting and well thought factions in a PC game, and the fact that the Planescape source material was extremely strong and imaginative surely helped. The characters were a sight to behold, with extremely detailed personalities and many ideological conflicts between them cleverly used by the game to furtherly emphasize the setting's nuances. Expand
  16. Apr 14, 2011
    I don't see how anything can surpass this game. The combat and the UI are both less than stellar, so I can see why some would complain though I myself didn't find it that bad. The story however, along with the characters and to a lesser extent the setting, is enough to raise it above every other game I've played. I just hope they never try to remake this!
  17. May 18, 2011
    Stop playing your Dragon Age 2s and your Call of Duty 17s, with the Pokemon and the jello pudding, and PLAY THIS GAME.

Seeing as how every review before me has already said this, I will redundantly add that this is *the* best RPG (re: game of any kind) that has ever been made. Make this game *known* to you. I will would literally spend my entire fortune and kill a homeless person to see a
    developer take up the monumental task of remaking of this game for the 21st century. WHY ARE YOU STILL READING THIS? BUY THIS GAME. Expand
  18. May 21, 2011
    Definitely the best RPG of all time. The only negative point I can find is the combat, although it isn't horrible. That one negative point does not manage to drag anything else down. Do not get it if you don't like reading at all.
  19. Oct 15, 2012
    One of my all time favorites, if you want a unique RPG with a great story, this is for you. The protagonist is unforgettable , the NPCs are some of the best of all time (up there with BG/BG2), and the environment is amazing. The graphics are dated even with recent patches to increase the resolution, but it's absolutely worth playing.
  20. Dec 16, 2011
    You either quit playing this game after the first hour or get sucked into the planes. From the technician's point of view it's quite awful game. The story and characters are undoubtedly best of all video games ever made. Give it a shot. Maybe do not try to treat it as a video game, think of it as a story or even a "book".
  21. Aug 11, 2011
    This game is still on my list of best games I have ever played. The game is near perfect and the ending will stay with you forever. Only game that brought a tear to my eye. Ever. such a wonderful and thought provoking game.
  22. Mar 30, 2012
    I haven't come across a game with more depth. The number of characters and the length of their dialogues are incredible. Laconic, touched, witty, smarmy and demented replies are all accepted, but not always given good marks. Your incarnation of The Nameless One, one of a vast number of permutations to make his way through the Planescape, meets other lost or downtrodden wanderers, amiable or suspicious enough to accompany him on his journey. Even these characters have vast ideologies and backgrounds to explore and will often grant you boons in return for your interest. The attributes system grants points to each character as they gain experience. These points are allocated among traits: Strength, Dexterity, Constitution, Intelligence, Wisdom and Charisma. Each character will limit him/herself in various aspects: ability to wear armour types or wield weapons, carrying capacity, capability of combat styles, magical knowledge, casting adeptness, dialogue choices and persuasiveness. It's up to you to decide how useful or fitting these abilities are to fighters, mages, thieves or priests. The items picked up, stolen or crafted range from bog-standard to fantastical: weapons, armor or profound tattoos, that grant certain individuals additional attributes when worn; staple potions, radical medical curatives and pica chews; obscure artifacts, works of art and religious icons, usable only by certain theological alignments. Trying to comprehend how the game was written absolutely boggles the mind. A collection of interwoven worlds with plenty of obscure, tangential areas. Enough to stretch the length of gameplay to absurd levels. Expand
  23. Oct 22, 2011
    To me Planescape: Torment is pinnacle of storytelling in gaming. It has funny, personal and powerful story of identity, memory and redemption. It lacks in sheer playability and smoothness, but these do not cripple its might at all. To me Dak'kon of Skrathlor, Morte, The Transcendent One and others just as important characters than Tifa, Barret or Sephiroth.

The Nameless One (YOU) wakes at
    morgue. Its labourers are are rotten undead and your only guide about anything is snarky skull. So you set out to Sigil (city everywhere and nowhere) in quest to find about yourself. And you can't die, so something must be amiss. And it is and in matters you (PLAYER) can only imagine. AND IT IS AWESOME.

This game is great. Story about amnesiac immortal breaks down all cliches of genre and in addition it is covered with beautiful graphics, magnificent sound and completeley adequate playability. This game was not designed not to be fighting, but more about searching, learning and finally accepting what is true. Voice-acting has skilled names doing awesome roles and characters they play are real. Even snarky skull Morte is more than it seemsa, but he still is snarky skull. And in addition to this lovable coward you face zerth Dak'kon, succubus (she is chaste, prim and proper) Fall-From-Grace, tiefling Annah with most sexy scottish accent and insane Ignus- living and ecstatic conduit to Plane of Fire. All these and several more weirdos are just gravy on top of story, which ends in thoroughly epic (and nively smoothly played) Grande Finale.

Planescape: Torment is not about great AI of party members, smooth combat against hordes of goblins or about facing insane madman who just happens to be King of Highland. Planescape: Torment is great novel told in despised format of gaming and delivers sheer Art. Even though it is crude as game, it is amgnificent as story. In my eyes encounter between The Nameless One and The Transcendent One is just as epic as any other final boss.

This game is not a masterpiece. It is The Masterpiece. And I took no pleasure in its appearance.
  24. Feb 17, 2012
    Planescape: Torment was one of the first RPGs I played. And sadly, it ruined the genre for me. "WHAT? How can such a classic ruin the genre for you! You complete numpty!", you might be thinking. Well, it didn't ruin RPGs for me because it was bad. Quite the opposite in fact. Torment is simply so good, that every RPG afterwards has been rather hum-drum in comparison. I'm sure that part of the reason is that Torment was one of my first forays into the wonderful world of (W)RPGs, but the game really is one of the classics.

The main reason is that the story, the setting, the characters and the atmosphere of the game are all unparalleled. This is not a tale of kings and queens, of lands that need to be saved or of damsels that need to de-stress after their distress. You're not the saviour, not the chosen one and, most of the time, not much of a hero either. This tale is a personal tale. It tells the story of an apparently immortal man who has no idea who he is, where he is or how he ended up not being able to die. In his journey for answers you meet a host of rather interesting characters and companions (a talking skull, an empty suit of armour and a chaste succubus among others) and you slowly discover hints about your past and why you ended up the way you did. An amnesiac main character isn't very original, (how many books and films have employed the same trick? I can't remember. Hmmm) but it is the way the story is told that makes it so engaging. The game implies instead of explains and leaves the player to fill in blanks, which makes the tale all the more engaging. The setting is delightfully weird and a breath of fresh air for people sick of the enormous deluge of RPGs set in a faux-medieval, faux-european faux-fantasy land. In this game, no elfs in sight! No dwarves either, not even when you look down! The game takes place, for the most part, in the city of Sigil, the city of Doors and the centre of existence. Here you can take portals to all the known and unknown planes. If you can find the right key, that is. Belief is power in the City of Doors and the power of belief manifests in reality. Get enough people to belief in your idea and see it come to pass, lose the belief of your people and even Gods might as well be dead.

Yeah, yeah, the game spins a grand tale. We get it! How about the rest? The nitty-gritty, the meat and potatoes? In short, the combat? Well, the setting, story and characters are really the main strenghts of the game. This is a game to play if you like a good story, a different world and if you enjoy reading. Do your preferences lean more towards the combat side of games, then this title is not for you.
    There is combat in the game, reminiscent of games like Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale, but it feels sluggish and gets boring quickly. The combat spell effects are rather special though, so playing as a mage will give you some graphical satisfaction during combat.

Graphically, the isometric 2D view works well for the game, and the detailed and colourful backgrounds are beautiful, even more than ten years later. The music and sound effects have also held up well and add to an already impressively atmospheric game.

In short, Planescape:Torment is an absolute classic for its storyline, setting and atmosphere and deserves to be played by anyone interested in a story-driven game. Combat is not the game's strong point, so action fanatics may pass this one up. Well, you should still try it just so you can say you played it, but you probably won't like it all that much.
  25. Feb 26, 2012
    I made account here just to give 10 to this masterpiece. One of the best games ever made. I prefer BG II to Planescape, but in my opinion PS:T has better story. What is the nature of man? Immortal lover, immortal killer, neverending pain and torment - this game is a philosophical masterpiece.
  26. Mar 21, 2012
    Over a decade later, and I can safely say this for role-playing games (and perhaps all games): they just don't make them like they used to. I played Planescape: Torment when I was much younger and could not grasp much of its complexity. I return to it now and see that it is, without a doubt, the best RPG I have played so far. The story is profound and mind-bending, as are all the characters in it. Through many a dialogue did I feel genuinely moved, awed, or chilled to the bone. What's more, the gameplay is open-ended and relies on you being resourceful. It does not hold your hand, it does not walk you through tutorials--NO! Like the Nameless One, you wake in a cold, dark world with nothing, not even your memories, and you must go forth to solve the mystery of YOURSELF using your wits and what few scraps you have. Combat is the same way. It forces you to constantly change your strategies and take advantage of the many spells, skills, and items you acquire along the way. At the same time, you are required to concentrate on the dialogue in order to puzzle out the various clues you collect throughout your journey. Torment is so well-written, however, that it unfolds like a darkly poetic novel. Ultimately, if you put enough thought and energy into Planescape: Torment, it comes to life in an extraordinary way. Few games (if any) can compare. It was definitely worth the hours of finagling it took to get this old masterpiece running on my modern desktop. Expand
  27. May 22, 2012
    An absolute masterpiece, hands down the best computer RPG made so far. Intricate story and dialogue that easily surpasses most fantasy novels. Probably still makes writers of this recent Dragon Age type garbage rock in a fetal position and cry. Personal and complex characters, great atmosphere. A desktop & iOS remake seems likely now with Baldur's Gate: EE coming 2012 and hopefully this undervalued diamond will get the attention it deserves. Expand
  28. Nov 25, 2012
    "What can change the nature of a man?" That's the question the protagonist must ultimately answer. Thus begins a journey into the strange, profound, and heart-wrenching. I played this as a teenager and the story still haunts me to this day. If someone makes a sequel, I sincerely hope they will treat it with the utmost respect as homage to the original.
  29. May 29, 2012
    I've never seen another game like this after I first played it. The closet I ever got was Fate Stay/Night and other Japanese visual novels with English subtitles.

The story, as described by others, is phenomenal. The characters are bonded to the protagonist, and thus to the player. True role playing, not in the sense that the player gets to decide to write up a backstory that the CRPG
    doesn't even know exist, but to role play as the protagonist in a story someone else write especially for this CRPG. The graphics in a lot of ways is aesthetically more pleasing than Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, and Neverwinter Nights. You can see a lot of details and each character has a large enough sprite slot that the animation is smooth and the combat actions are true. In BG, half of your characters look the same and have no "artistic identity". But here, there is a pure difference between all the NPCs and the main protagonist. Expand
  30. May 20, 2013
    Chances are you didn't land on the page of Torment Planescape by coincidence, not in 2013. And you probably know what kind of game type it is. So just try this game.

And good news if you like it, a new Torment game got funded and is under development^^

1. Yet another astounding title out the doors of the Black Isle factory.
    Torment boasts a thoroughly enjoyable story line, and I can pretty much guarantee you won't be guessing how it all ends up with any degree of accuracy. This game has very few weaknesses, and predictability is certainly not one of them!
    Torment's graphics and sound are paradise. Gorgeous, hand-drawn backgrounds look sumptuous, even if they're overcome with dark, moody, colors.