7.0

1. Dec 1, 2012
    Okay, for a free to play its a masterpiece, but thats not saying anything now is it. Lets see here, its a bit of a free to play, the physics are BLEH (First time I bought a tank... i moved 3 feet, then fell out the world, and a few other players did the same). The gameplay consists mainly of finding where the action is, and when you find it, the game starts to open up and you see the beautiful flour that is Plantside 2, and it is beautiful. But when the action stops, you notice what a smelly flour the game is. The UI is complicated like all F2Ps, the flight controls are dumbed down, the exact opposite of a simulator, meaning your jet (that looks like a box with jet engines on the side of them) flys tight, so tight that it makes flying boring and dull. I did say the graphics are good, but the textures are bad when you look at them closely. The world is large, true, but its filled with nothing besides a few out posts and 3 massive structures for the main spawn. While we are on the spawn, spawn camping is a bit of a problem, you can have a firing squad outside your spawn and you cant do much about it besides pushing and grinding your way past. And while we are on grinding... this game is a grinding simulator, you need to spend hours and hours just to get a scope for your **** weapon. The bolt action sniper rifle is a 2 hit kill... whats wrong with that you might ask? Simple, it takes about 3 seconds to rechamber a round, and by then your opponent will be behind cover, rendering the rifle relativly useless for the player jumping into the game. This game deserves a 6. What the game can improve on is the physics, balancing, and optimization. My 7970 can run bf3 on ultra and have an average of 60 fps. In this I get an average of 50 on high... if I put everything on low... I get 53... so it needs tweaking. Go play it since its free, there really isnt anything interesting holding you there besides waiting for the next epic battle so you can watch your frames plumit Expand
  2. Jun 25, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Planetside 2 is one of the most disappointing games i've played. Some people think thousands of players battling on one big server is cool, but for me it makes the game laggy and frustrating. i cant walk out of spawn for three minutes without being bombarded with bullets to the point that i need to restart my computer. aside from that, the game is just a slightly hilly plain were snipers pick off everybody that walks out of a building, and if you escape that you find yourself in front of hundreds of enemy tanks and aircraft. There is no auto balancing of any kind that allows for players to face equally skilled foes. instead you spawn in, the game tells which button shoots and pushes you straight into battle. No vehicle piloting or aiming, what your enemies even look like. Another thing is that there is no way to earn better weapons other then buying them with real money, not in game credits or something. so unless you want to spend $500 on a game you haven't even really seen yet just so you don't die every two seconds, DON'T DOWNLOAD THIS GAME!

one more thing I forgot to mention is that when you try to log off it turns your screen black for about an hour and a half then just restarts the launcher. Its more of adware or some sort of troll virus then a game really.
  3. Dec 22, 2013
    Alright so where to start I'm an avid gamer and I gotta say planetside 2 I am a shamed to say I put a sum of money(200$+) and 1 year and almost 1 month later all I have to see for it is this -tons generic guns -Low to no skill gameplay -1 new vehicle -a engine -massive amount of flaws and bugs SOE really messed up and I really hope if you read this you don't put money into that terrible game. Expand
  4. Dec 30, 2013
    Game is riddled with bugs and balance issues, the community is infested with trolls and ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥s and the amount of time you have to sink in till you have gear to compete with the rest of the players in the game is huge.
    The game is more about being fair then accuracy. Small arms fire can destroy a tank in a few seconds and aircraft in even less time. They have these wonderfully high end
    weapons that you can purchase with real money and when you get them into the game they unmodifiable compared to their counterparts as to be obsolete immediately. To keep things real fair anything you spent hard cash and not game certs on has little to no ability to hit most targets unless they are conveniently standing still. An assault rifle has better effective range and does more damage then a sniper rifle of the same type with a a better scope. The effective rang of most of your weapons is close range or beyond what the games render distance will allow you to see, and there fore lock onto and hit. This does not stop players who use (supposedly illegal and banned) add ons to hit you beyond ranges you can effectively return the favor. There is no combat and tactics just the almighty zerg push. One side gets enough players together and rolls over anything in their way.
    Until they redesign the unlock progress for weapons, fix a lot of major bugs that cause crashes or other frustrating issues and finally fix the balance problems between the 3 empires. than it's worth trying out till than ignore the game, don't let it suck you in so you don't end up being surrounded by and trolls all day. For what is supposed to be a future based game many of the game toys and tools are amazingly primitive and difficult to use

I only play the game because there's nothing else to play, every other Multilayer game I ahve tried multiple times is somehow even worse and even more boring than Planet side 2, i guess that's the only good thing i have to say about PS2, it's at least not as bad as Battlefield,Call Of Duty or the new horrible Team Fortress 2 aka Hat Fortress 2 called nowadays.
  5. Jan 18, 2014
    Good premise, and false promises.

The game is only starting to deliver one year after launch, but expect it to be open beta until at least mid 2014, until then you can still have simple-minded fun on the biggest team deathmatch ever made.
  6. Feb 11, 2014
    I've been waiting for a stellar MMOFPS title. A friend recommended I give Planetside 2 a try, and try it I did. Planetside 2 is massive, as the genre classification would suggest, and offers tons of places to go. But the glaring problem is that PS2 is completely aimless, cheap, and at times ugly in its presentation. There is little rhyme or reason to what you're doing. There is next to zero help in getting started. There are several vehicles which are somewhat appealing but anything in the air is tough to control and requires an insanely high level of precision and mastery to be effective with. PS2 is perhaps the worst FPS experience for newcomers on the market. The graphics always look like they're stuck in beta builds no matter how powerful your graphics card is. I constantly wished for more cohesion amongst players and objectives but was constantly disappointed. The freedom aspect is a nice IDEA that is entirely left undeveloped. If you wish to do anything in this game, you MUST go where the hordes are. Taking bases can be fun but there's a heavy amount of patience required whether you're on offense or defense. PS2 made me long for Guild Wars 2's World vs World PVP, which I felt was a bit too massive and tough to work with. There is a pillar or two upon which Planetside 2 can stand on. It's a free to play game so there's no such thing as a waste of money, only time (but time is money, right?). There is some variation to play styles and classes and, when you finally do get the hang of the game after numerous hours and a terrible learning curve, there is some intense fun that can be had. But the fun is fleeting - coming and going almost in an instant. The best moments tend to be when a smaller pocket of resistance is met where you aren't potentially being targeted by 400 enemies. MMOFPS is a genre that is guaranteed to work, but titles like Destiny or The Division, which are on their way for PCs and consoles in 2014, find better balances and won't force you to constantly play with complete strangers or unorganized factions/guilds. If Planetside 2 could offer some good fun away from the large battles, maybe there would be something special here. But nothing is special, beautiful, reasonable or interesting about Planetside 2. Unless Sony completely overhauls a future title and I receive credible word about this franchise evolving into a complete game experience, I won't even bother with a free-to-play Planetside 3 and beyond. Expand
  7. Apr 22, 2013
    The TTK or "time to kill" is absurdly low; 0.49 for most guns. That's crazy for a laggy game like Planetside 2. If you don't discover the person first then you'll be dead. There isn't any time to react. This is what brings Planetside 2 down. Not to mention the fact that using the Auto Join Squad feature puts you in squads that clans use who then proceed to kick you from said squad. Crappy UI mechanics also bring Planetside 2 down. Expand
  8. Mar 3, 2013
    If you like being frustrated and annoyed, play this game. If your sadomasochistic, spend money on this game. What I find most frustrating is the huge potential of this game, SOE just doesn't have what it takes to make this game into what it could have been, it's a shame really. I have been playing and waiting for it to deliver since the game first came out, but I have given up on PS2 and SOE.
  9. Feb 19, 2013
    Instructions: none. Tutorial: none. Upgrades after 4 hours of gameplay unnoticeable. Constant prompting to buy cert points via cash shop: annoying. Hacks: prominent. Maps poorly designed: windows everywhere in buildings. Support classes: easy targets. Spawn in middle of rocket blast: instantly dead. So many glaring issues: will not pay to play.
  10. Jun 18, 2013
    This game is a waste of time if you don't have a $2000 system. Please don't support this game at all, don't play it. Although yes it is fun at times. It never stops lagging unless you have a newer NiVidia graphics card or a high end processor.
  11. May 26, 2013
    What are the good things? Well, no one buys their way in like in most F2Ps, and the class system is pretty good. The rest is sketchy at best. It is I guess supposed to be a little like Battlefield where you join a squad to complete an objective, but that objective never works. Your squad mostly attacks the tanks (which can spawn way too cheaply) and die, go the wrong way and die or just suck and die. The reason? There is way too much going on for the game's own good. I get they were trying to stay away from the conventional FPS where one man wins a war, but when 2500 players from three teams are fighting all the battles are are air strikes and kamikazes and nothing ever gets done. Picture MW with unlimited Harrier Strikes. The concept of huge scale war makes sense, but doing it in badly organized squads doesn't work. And don't try doing anything by yourself, getting nice weapons or rewards for anything is impossible. Expand
  12. Mar 25, 2013
    Planetside 2 is one of those games that drops you in the battlefield without any experience or knowledge over what to do and how to do it. You're often wondering where the action is going on, and when it's there you're powerless. I had to give it a three because, for a free to play game, it looks stunning, but it's a dead hamster hidden in a beautiful box.
  13. Mar 5, 2013
    Pointlessly overcomplicated Noob killing fest. Let's start, that my experience on online shooters ranges from the early-early Desert Combat games, all the way to BF3. I'm not really into the MMORPG, but for this review, doesn't need any.
    So, let's start with the positives. I like the idea. I like the ambitious effort and pushing the envelope to make online shooters progress to new,
    uncharted territories. I like the idea of giant battlefields and mixture of doing different things at once. I also like the seems to be endless upgrades and making the players progress somewhere, let that be new weapons, outfits, vehicles and higher ranks. All these are all present but a diamond in a rough form in Planetside 2. Here comes my rant. I can understand the fact, that after a while everyone gets a grip of what is going on and how to read the map and figure out how to upgrade etc. But I'm afraid, it may be too late by then, since the immediate impression will turn off many, before they would start become interesting. Lacking any tutorials, or perhaps off-line maps with bots would help a lot. Almost all games we play including shooters- has some sort of an introduction into the mechanics and/or a walk through in real-time (not youtube videos!) In other words The game is making every newbie UNWELCOME. 1. Sign up; choose your passwords; pick a class; pick a side
    2. Get dropped into the battlezone and get shot dead.
    3. Try different things; run around the map; be confused about many things, get shot dead within a few minutes. 4. Rinse and repeat step 2 and 3 for a while. ...
    Problems right off from the first impression: I. The mini map is utterly confusing and pointlessly over complicated to a point, where it isn't even functioning as a map. Congested and displaying all sorts of stuff not really useful, or just simply too much. I'm not sure if it can be customized or not, I haven't found the option yet, which I would assume most newbie neither. II. The whole design of the large deployment map. I'm trying to figure out, if there are any differences between the middle; the corners and between, regarding what buildings/terrain/objectives variations there are, but after 9-10 hours of gameplay, it all looks like a photoshop pattern of basically repeating features and buildings. Actually, giving in a thought, they could have used 1/4 of the size of the maps, since it doesn't really matter when you get dropped into the fight zone, you know exactly what buildings you gonna find and you just gonna follow to find the power generators and the capture points. There isn't a memorable location, since you won't be able to memorize much, but you will know exactly what is what. III. Upgrades. There seems to be unlimited number of upgrades, but they all seem to be unreachable for those, who doesn't want to spend a bucket load of money. I leave that right there.
    IV. Balance. Many game in similar category gives the players the chance to familiarize themselves with the game, so they usually give the option of servers, based on experience level. We could have novice, intermediate and pro servers, just for this purpose. They could have made the game, that a newbie could enjoy a pro-server, but count on being the cannon fodder, but perhaps reward his bravery by making him gain exp. points faster, than on a noob server. Same deal in reverse. Pro player joining with high hopes of mass murdering the noobs, would end up not gaining much, perhaps revoke their super-duper maxed out equipment and make them fight with the basic given weapon and outfit. Or perhaps "ship" the pro players to a new planet or continent, where they face off similar high-level pro players. But no. Instead pro players seem to be mass-r.ping the newbies to gain more exp. points. Basically the game rewards those, who rather play like bullies, while leaving the newcomer in the dust. It may sound fun, if you got the equipment, but eventually it will destroy the game on the long run. Why? Because new people won't be joining, and old pro-players may just move on to whatever newer game come out in the near future. Eventually the servers will be abandoned to a point, where you gonna have these giant maps and only 10-20 people playing instead of 100. V. No real rewards. Weapons, outfits, masks, optics, extra ammo all sounds great, but what's the point? You gonna be doing the same thing with them over and over! What happened to rewards given to teams? Or what about giving rewards for platoons and factions, who conquered half of the map? What's good about having 3/4 of the map conquered compared to only half or 1/4 of it? Nothing. There should be team/platoon/squad based experiences given. How about a tactical nuke, or ability to call in airstrikes, indirect/direct artillery or orbital strike? Just some ideas. As of right now, this game is still just a newbie-hostile beta test, with missing objectives and limited real feel of progress.
  14. Mar 7, 2013
    This is nothing more than a laggy spawn camp. Really not worth the time to bother downloading it. Go play just about any other shooter for a better experience.
  15. May 11, 2013
    I played this game for four hours and this game is insanely overrated. Have fun figuring out what to do given the fact that if your new the servers population doesnt give a sh*t about you. I couldnt even find enemys in my four hour game time do to the fact i kept getting team killed by players who just thought it was hilarious to spawn kill all of thier team mates coming out of the teleporters. There is little to no weapon balance as begginer players will get destroyed ans stand no chance until the rank up and your crazy if you want me to play for 12+ hours to just be on even ground. So overall if your not a fan already, ignore this garbage. Expand
  16. May 16, 2013
    Based off my personal experience with this product it wouldn't be too far fetched to say Planetside 2 is used to torture political dissidents in Iranian prisons.
  17. Feb 23, 2014
    Heard about this from a friend. 'Yeah its more fun if you have some friends to play with.' he said. Little did I know how right he was. If there's one thing I've learned over the years its that the phrase "If its too good to be true, it probably is." and this phrase fits PlanetSide 2 PERFECTLY. Most of the information on the official website is half lies, outdated information, or flat out lies.

For example:

"PlanetSide 2 features incredible continent maps with dozens of square kilometers of seamless gameplay space; every inch of which is hand-crafted, contestable space. With the territorial control meta-game, landmass has intrinsic value."

The continents' layouts are about as bland as can be. Yet another victim of "symmetry = balance" as if planets are supposedly symmetrical in nature. In reality its more of copy pasted a third of a continent then rotated and add some unique name. Literally. The same mountain you just past there's another two more somewhere. They honestly thought that because of the size you wouldn't notice it. Its noticeable. Most of the special points (such as biolabs or domes or whatever they call it) are exactly the same as they are on other continents. Just a different tileset. Then there's the 'massive' part of the game. It states there can be up to 1000's of players in a battle. Remember: the players are spread out over these large continents. So the actual saturation of players is fairly low except at one or two points.

"...PlanetSide 2 battles can last for days or even weeks, and finally taking control of the base means it's yours until someone can take it back. Working strategically as a team to capture key tactical positions such as power plants and ammo depots have long-lasting effects that can shift the tide of battle. Victory requires strategic teamwork and a quick trigger finger to survive the massive battles."

Do they mean the war for the continent or the battle for a territory? The territorial battles could last anywhere from about 3 minutes (its just you sitting around waiting praying some resistance) to a couple of hours (very rare). The amp stations (power plants), bio-domes and tank factories (I forget their names) don't do as much as the site makes you want to believe. The only incentive you have to capturing these are: 1.) you get more experience for capturing it. 2.) Each of these special points gives you a mediocre bonus: the bio-domes add a really minor regeneration to your health, the tank factories allow you to acquire main battle tanks outside of your warpgate and the amp stations increase the time it takes for a turret to overheat by about 1 second or so (when if you pause for a couple of seconds just before you overheat you'll be fine). I believe they don't even stack.

Then we have the supposed 'victory'.

So after running around capping one point after another for some experience and certs, you get the continent capped. Victory right? Wrong. You don't even get a message let alone any sort of reward. There's absolutely no reason why you should hold a point or cap a point except for experience for capping it. The only thing you get for completely capturing a continent is a puny cost decrease to aircraft, infantry stuff, or vehicles (a whole 10% or 15%!). That's it. Not even an anti-climatic "your empire has captured the continent of ___." No experience reward, no congratulations, no climatic battle. Then as soon as you leave the enemy empire you now warpgated just captures the territory back.

What they don't tell you:

- It takes you an absurdly long time to get any of the 1000 cert weapons (upwards of 1 month) without paying for a subscription. Once you hit battle about rank 37, it takes literally ages to get to the next rank without a subscription.

- The guns are absurdly overpriced (normal guns are about (US)$5.75 (or is it 7.50) for a 500 or 250 cert one and ~$10.00 for a 1000 cert one. Then for the golden guns they're $20.00 or so. Remember: 100 SC = $1.00.

- Everyone says its "Not pay-to-win" they are correct in one way: you pay, but you can't win (there's no victory objectives outside of capture a point move on to the next). You start off horribly ill equipped compared to people who've been playing and need months to get better equipped.

- It is horribly optimised. Expect frame rates of less than 15 in big battles or even moderate battles with anything less than a mid-range PC.

- You WILL be killed every 10 or so deaths by an infiltrator with an SMG that decloaks behind you and kills you in about 3.2 seconds.

- You CAN/WILL be sniped by an enemy you cant even render!

-- The verdict --
    The fun really dies out after you screw around for a little while then only becomes fun with friends. Just don't expect to meet many here. The community is full of trolls and immature kids (LOTS of 10yr olds).

NOTICE:
    Player experience will vary greatly. Try it yourself. Just don't spend a dime until you know you like it and will play it for a long time.
  18. Mar 30, 2013
    Uninspired levels, horrid sound, boring bland weapons, lag lag lag lag and altogether wasted untapped potential that is just a few of the things that planetside 2 suffers from. Don't waste you're time with this atrocity until the developers pull up their pants, sew their heads back on, lace up their work boots and realise that just because you make it free it doesn't mean that you can spoon feed people crap and that you actually still have to make an effort... Expand
  19. Apr 25, 2013
    I would like Planetside 2 alot but theres one problem the damn P2W (Pay 2 win) style of gameplay.

Many of you might say it's not a P2W game but in reality it is P2W game because they made collecting in-game money really slow and weapons costs way too lot that you can buy by in-game money.
    Also i found that theres some huge balance problems that in some faction have lots of players and
    other don't on server where you are playing.

About the P2W thing ithat those don't by weapons and items for real money it takes very long to get them unlike people that buys weapons and items for real money they can get really good stuff on low lever that helps alot.
    For example, if there 2 players on 1 VS 1 and both low level players on same class, the other guy have the basic weapons and items that you can get from start of the game and other guy buys weapons and items for real money from start, the guy that buys weapons and items for real money owns the guy that don't buy weapons and items for real money unlike the other guy with starting weapons and items don't have any chance to kill that guy.
    So it force you buy weapons and items for real money to win 1 VS 1 fights other then that you need always have 1-3 teammates with you even fights turn out be 2-4 vs 1.

But there was something good about this game and that was 2000 players each server, really big maps, really good looking graphics for F2P game, Controlls are almost perfect.

Also not forget that sometimes the server balance is so bad you end up fighting like 20 enemys at same time own base where is only 2-5 own team mates and sometimes you and up fighting all 20 enemys alone.

After i found Planetside 2 be alot pay 2 win style of game then i just stoped playing it and not waste of my time for collecting in-game money that you can collets very long time for single weapon.
  20. Mar 9, 2013
    What a joke at the dumb reviewers saying this game is way better than any battlefield or any other fps game out there.. and giving this game a 10 out of 10. If you think a broken, bland, pointless, game like planetside 2 is better than any other mutliplayer shooter out there then you have either never played 1 single damn game besides this, are 10 years old, or you have the worst taste in gaming that I have ever seen. About the game, all i can really say is, devs dont have the common sense to help out newbies so people get turned away from the game so less player base, and HOW can anyone say this is a better game than battlefield when all you do in this game is capture 1 base at a time with unbalanced classes and vehicles and you do nothing else.... at least in battlefield you can play many different game types, play with friends, better control of vehicles, more rewarding system, better scaling, just about everything is better in Battlefield besides the map is bigger in PS2.... BOOHOO Expand
  21. Mar 22, 2013
    Terrible performance issues i wont ever go near this game again.
    Tested it out and it runs appaling how on earth can you expect people to play this garbage it runs like a slide show on high end gear.
    What mess cya
  22. Apr 12, 2013
    i have no problem with the game it runs well, 40 fps in large battles, nice optimization but the f problem is that at times it doesn't work at all, this is worse than WOW phasing, i don't know what development team they have but you FREAKING SHOOT 50 BULLETS AT A PERSON 1 YARD IN FRONT OF YOU AND YOU DO 0 DAMAGE, YEAH THAT'S RIGHT THE FUTURE FPS THEY CAN SHOOT YOU BUT YOU CAN'T!, i point this 8 weeks ago and still isn't fixed, all they care is about selling weapons and other but fixing this god damn game doesn't matter to them. THIS GAME IS WORSE THAN WAR Z AT LEAST YOU CAN PLAY THAT Collapse
  23. Mar 3, 2013
    Sadly my review will mostly echo the main criticisms I've seen on here of the game. The learning curve is relatively steep, and though you won't generally get endlessly flamed by your teammates (one individual's failure, on average, can be a drop in the bucket given the sheer scale of combat in the game), unless you are EXTREMELY dedicated and or very very good, don't expect to be upgrading your character's certs with any sort of regularity without dropping some cash on the game. I had some extra Station Cash from my EQ2 F2p days and dropped them on some starting guns, but even that small initially boost was not enough to alleviate the utter curbstompering I experienced at the hands of the most modestly geared opponents. Add to that the insanely high system reqs (to be expected when there's a couple hundred people in one warzone), and you have a very frustrating gaming experience with very, very little payout in terms of seeing your "character" progress. Expand
  24. Apr 6, 2013
    For new players this game is the worst. There is no learning area, you are thrown into battle without a clue and put up against the games seasoned p2w players and just killed at will. The game offers no path to learn the game. I can not stress how this is the worst game to start as a new player. The vendor greed is totally shown and knows no bounds. The frustration can not be described. It's enough that I don't even think I try anything Sony puts out again nor anything else with the Sony name on it. I can't get over the greed of this vendor to start asking for money before you can play or even see how to play. The frustration is beyond words. That aside, the game also froze twice adding even more to the frustration. Expand
  25. Jun 5, 2013
    Loads of potential crippled by the engines inability to address multi core CPU's, hyper-threading or use more than 50% of your GPU. DirectX 9.................

This game has so much potential that gets gimped at every turn because of the poor choice of engine development. As it sits currently you will be netting about 30 fps in a firefight on two GTX780's in SLI and a I7 overclocked to
    5 GHZ. The total lack of any game optimization, it's inability to properly address multui core CPU's or perform hyper-threading, or take advantage of multi GPU setups really hinder the games play-ability and overall enjoyment level.

The game is solid, the devs are working tirelessly on balance issues but the core looming issue has gone unaddressed for so long i now have to believe it is simply technologically impossible for this game to ever play at acceptable fluid frame rates for a modern day gamer. It really really puts a sour taste in most gamers mouths that can become too large of a pill to swallow.

If you value your frame rate, have a 120 hz monitor or own high end hardware this game is not for you, you wont last long before the frustration sends you packing back to your old friend because 30 FPS were simply to painful to bear with for more than a few hours.
  26. Jun 5, 2013
    I would love to like the game more, but I feel like the more chances I give them to address the issues that bug me the more I am let down. A few things to note about the game off the bat: 1) Hit detection is client side. 2) The game is HEAVILY CPU bound. 3) It is free to play, and you could theoretically play without paying anything..but that would take ages. 4) Most vehicle weaponry costs 700 station cash (7 USD if you buy it straight up with no station cash sales).
    5) There are 3 factions, yet only two of them have any kind of face representing them on the dev team and one of the factions is heavily favored in the dev team.

So going down the list.

1) Hit detection being client side means the game has had droves of cheaters exploit that fact, and they have a hard time dealing with them. They have GMs announce their presence when they login so people can get cheaters dealt with a little faster, but these GMs are sporadic at best. And you have to either remember their name or hope you can scroll back to get it when you run into a cheater. Admittedly the cheating has gotten less rampant, but anytime there's a "special" XP event they come out of the woodwork and the GMs are never to be seen.

On the topic of cheaters, there are players who exploit the game or exploit the spirit of the EULA, get banned for a week or two...but get to keep all of their ill gotten XP with a slap on the wrist. Many of them being pretty well known players. You'll notice a few of them were BR 100 (max level) weeks, maybe months ahead of the everyone else. With whacked out stats that seem impossible as hell on their stats page. SOE claims to not condone this behavior, yet it does nothing to discourage aside from a week long ban.....it's a stupid policy and just asks for people to abuse it.

2) CPU Bound performance, Intel CPUs are the favored here. You want a higher clock speed rather than more cores as this game does not utilize cores very well. And often you will find your performance has dropped each game update. GPU matters, but not as much as it should.

3) & 4)

If you were to buy station cash right now to pay for something in game, it'd be 1 dollar for 100 station cash. They have deals where you can get double or triple station cash meaning 1 dollar would be 2x100 or 3x100. Or deals with places like Walmart where a 15 dollar game card 2000 station cash (20 dollar equiv) and can be doubled or tripled on the special deal events. But their prices normally are 7 dollars for any weapon worth having generally. Aesthetic items go from 100 to 2000 (different colored pistols being the highest priced item atm).

There are membership subscriptions, XP boosters, and many other things to buy for the game. All to speed up your XP gain which means more certs. Which certs are used to upgrade or buy weaponry. You can not buy aesthetic items with certs. It is much more time efficient to buy the weaponry with station cash that you buy on one of the 2x or 3x deals and use the certs to upgrade stuff only.

I will say I am a little under $100 bucks into the game at this point, and I used 2x/3x deals to buy the majority of it and bought a lot of my items in bundles or on daily deals (half off regular price for the day) to stretch out what I got. But on average I'm still paying 2-3 dollars per item.

Now this wouldn't be so incredibly bad IF the items were not constantly screwed around with and nerfed to make room for the "new" guns to come out to get people to buy it for the latest and greatest.

This is probably the primary reason I feel like the game is a sham right now, because they have to sell items to keep the doors open...so instead of making new interesting items, they keep reducing the effectiveness of existing weapons and pumping out similar items with old mechanics but better numbers.

I'd say I easily have 40 dollars worth of weaponry that I don't even bother trying to use because it's pointless to even waste time with it since they've ruined it. I will direct your attention to any HE turret, not only did they lengthen it's reload time to crazy times, but they also lowered it's ability to damage to vehicles and players significantly since the game has been released. You are better off using any other turret than the HE unless you are shooting from super far off at infantry. There are plenty of examples in every weapon type of this game where items were just made completely useless through constant intentional and unintentional nerfs.

5) It won't be a popular subject, but I play TR. I see that VS and NC are represented quite vocally on the dev team, NC especially with Higby. I'll just leave it at that, but I recommend picking NC if you want to be kept happy.

I am reviewing this the day Game Update 10 was released. I am not a happy player or customer with the direction this game is going and how slow they are to address things.
  27. Feb 27, 2014
    It's a great game in all but they love to screw over their customs as much as possible few nerfing weapons and to deleting times/remaking it with a different features. So I am not very happy on how the deal with customer loyalty.
  28. Apr 30, 2013
    Let me start out by telling what Planetside 2 gets right. The maps are large and made to feel like what a war zone should be like, and the sheer fact that the game is actually an constant everlasting MMO-FPS like promised is something mind-boggling. That alone deserves praise from people all around, whether you like the game or not.

But about right there is where the good times stop,
    very abruptly. You spawn in for the first anywhere: you don't get to choose. You could end up lucky and spawn at a deserted base, or you'll get completely screwed over and spawn in the middle of hell with enemy fire hitting you from all directions. Either way though, you're still practically a sitting duck because you'll immediately have to go through the controls to learn how to PLAY the game. I don't care who you are, a tutorial is ALWAYS a good idea for those that are new to the series and have no clue what the hell they're doing.

Another major problem is that it is as repetitive as every single modern shooter with very little to no change. The only change you may see is that you've been blown up by five tanks instead of five rocket launchers. Go to this base, shoot this guy, die because he's played more, go to that base, shoot that guy, die again, get in a "plane," crash because you weren't given a tutorial on how to fly, and then wait for another spawn, and so on, and so on until you get bored or until your computer mercifully crashes to save your sanity.

The third problem of the game is it's major lack of story. Yes, there are three factions, yes it's on another planet, but which planet the game's on nobody knows. Why the three factions are warring is a question only people majorly invested in learning the cannon know. Or who leads any of the factions is left to speculation as far as I'm aware. The game has less story than a game that doesn't look like it needs one (i.e. TF2).

But the major, overall problem with almost every SOE Free2play MMO is their incessant love for in-game currency or real-money in-game purchases for better weapons. In other words, the game is a pay-to-win system where the rich get to use fancy weapons and hi-tech gear that can kill any player just by looking, while the new player just sits back and repeatedly slams his head into a wall because it's more entertaining.

Overall, the game is a grand promise of grandeur and amazement marred by horrible design choices, a pay-to-win system, multiple glitches, hackers, and spawn campers, and NO story at all. As far as a F2P game goes, I would recommend anything from Team Fortress 2 to Warframe. Yet, as it is a F2P game, you won't lose any money off of playing, so... test it...? Maybe you'll like it, but I sure as hell wouldn't even begin to call this game good, let alone call it an MMO of the year.
  29. Mar 26, 2013
    Purely idiotic game design. As you spawn into the game, you have no idea what you are doing. Distinguishing enemies from friendlies is a pain in the ass (some classes had similar body colours as the enemy team). And the best thing ever your weapons get if you accidentally shoot some idiot on your team. The only reason this cesspool of a game exists is because it is "free".
  30. Apr 7, 2013
    When I first started playing this game I actually enjoyed it. However, I started quite late and after a while I started to find this one of the most frustrating and unfair first person shooters I have ever played. New players are thrown into a battle as a level 1 and are mostly against lever 20s, not to mention the countless level 40s and even level 70s. They have much better weapons than you and even if you get the first shot you can almost bet your life that if they start shooting back its over. They also have better armour. The snipers in this game are ridiculous, yielding very powerful semi-automatics at a higher level. Eventually I found myself aiming to get one kill for every spawn in a battle because it was inevitable that either I will get shot to pieces by an experienced player or picked off instantly by a sniper.

Even if you're good at first person shooters don't expect that you will do just as well in this game. I guarantee that when you experience your first battle you'll be instantly killed with a few shots from a more experienced player with a much better gun than you. I stopped playing after I realised I was only re-spawning to be killed again. This game is unfair, unrewarding, frustrating and simply not fun. As other people have said, it's just a complete mess.
  31. May 21, 2013
    Let me preface this review by saying that I've been playing this game since the beta stage.
    The game is amusing, but highly overrated. It's fun for a bit and then you realize that you've accomplished absolutely nothing and you've been killed every 30 seconds by someone who has everything upgraded for their character. Even when you manage to take an entire section of the map you rarely
    have a sense of achievement.
    The maps are huge and pretty, but spawn points are obnoxiously far away which results in lots of time spent traveling from place to place. God-forbid anyone kill you along the way because then you'll have to start over.
    Weapons are insanely imabalanced, the Vanu's guns are about as strong as marshmallow shooters compared to the other two factions' weapons. Anyone who can gain a few points (which isn't hard at all) can then get a MAX suit or a tank, which are super overpowered for their prices. It varies depending on the time and server, but the New Conglomerate usually have way more people playing at once than the other two factions do.
    The game shows absolutely no mercy towards new players, you're thrown in with everyone else on the server and usually end up with the short end of the stick in every fight. There is no place for newer, underequipped players to go and work their way up to play with the higher leveled players. Newbies are dropped in the middle with everyone else.PS2 doesn't count running someone over as a teamkill, so trolls will often do that resulting in a "suicide" for you which has a longer respawn counter than usual.
    Lastly, the game is pretty but poorly optimized at the moment.; very buggy with its fair share of glitches. I've got a decent gaming rig: quad core CPU 3.4Ghz, 8GB RAM, & Geforce GTX 550Ti and I can't play the game smoothly unless everything is off or on low with a reduced render distance and 0% render quality.

Tl;dr Game is overrated, surprisingly imbalanced, NC are the zerg, noobs are doomed, glitches ahoy!
  32. May 30, 2013
    Free to play pay to win Air vehicles are useless since 80 of the servers are running with max.s with unlocked Anti air guns , Really poor optimised cant run well on my i5 2500k & 6970 radeon Sides are unbalanced as hell Red guys are the best since they have most fastest fire rate Blue guys weapons hit hard but have high recoil & slow rpm making them worst in game . Draw distance kills this game Flew bomber plane with 3 seats and unlocked some nice stuff to it AA cannon at the rear is useless against skilled fighter pilots and you are just free score Draw distance comes into play when flying you see enemy AA max when you are like 50 meters away from him and he can see you from 200-300 meters away GG rly .

TLDR Overrated game pay to win unbalanced was fun for the first 20-30 hours.
  33. Mar 27, 2014
    I sincerely hope this game is a joke. The lack of balance here is ridiculous, and the free to play model here is so pay-to-win that it's fairly impossible to win without a significant amount of players who have payed for the game. In fact, it's difficult to win without a decent amount of people on your team at all. The game is a total steamroll, and a luck based one at that, for the amount of players on your team is totally random. The lack of killcam promotes camping, and there's no strategy required once you've found a corner to spam from. The entire game feels unfinished and soulless, only play this if you're a call of duty fan with no regard for well-crafted game design. Expand
  34. Mar 16, 2014
    Alright so this is the garbage that can be produced by 30+ million dollars, the game seemed to look decent at best but it seems these developers are absolutely clueless on how to make a proper game its been over a year and literally all they have to show for it is a bunch of generic or op weapons that a player whom has brain damage could use. To top it off its networking code is horrendously bad and they seem to want to buy the cheapest possible servers and think they can get away with it. Instead of doing any real content to maps the edit old ones since they seem completely incompetent towards making a new map. I wouldn't recommend this game to anyone but my 6 year old son but oh wait he doesn't even like it because he knows its no better than a glorified tdm, and he actually would prefer to play cod since he can even tell that its networking code is better. Expand
  35. Mar 26, 2014
    >Frustrating and not fun describes my initial reaction to this game This guy said it best in his review bi0mech81 Frustrating and not fun describes my initial reaction to this game. First and foremost is the learning curve. from the start you spawn in the middle of a fight with nothing telling you what your objectives are, or even where your teammates are. Should you be unfortunate enough to spawn in the middle of a tank fight (as was my first experience) you feel helpless as you die, respawn, and die again as soon as you respawn. An in-game "Newbie" area, some kind of zone where you go only when you first start a character would be greatly appreciated as throughout my first hour of gameplay I was consistantly pitted against players of level 38 or higher. The extremely large playing area makes snipers and tanks gods on the ground. I have not been able to fly any of the aircraft, yet because everytime I spawn an air vehicle it is destroyed immediately. I'm not an avid FPS player by any stretch of the means- I grew up on Doom, Quake, and UT, and I manage about a 1:1 Kill to death ratio in CoD, and tend to play support roles in TF2. On average I have 2 kills and over 50 deaths in planet side due to spawn camping. spawning at a point that is distant from the battle just means I get to run for 10 minutes to die from a sniper that I can't see. Playing a supporting role in PS2 is down right rage-inducing. Healing a friendly player may or may not reward XP, and unlike TF2, you cannot heal a heavy to keep them up while they sustain gunfire. Reviving fallen players is fairly pointless unless they died less than 2 seconds in front of you. The Engineer's turret is too inaccurate for the distances at which forces are regularly engaged in. The tanks are done well- and in many cases are over-powered. many of the bases are designed so you can just snipe away at the enemy generator with your tank and destroy it without worry of being engaged by the defenders. Running over your own teammates results in a suicide for them, and no penalty for yourself- great if you just want to troll your own team, as is often the case. What this game direly needs is level segregation of some form- whether it's designated levels for zones where as you out level the zone you do less damage, or you cannot respawn into a zone you are out leveled for, something needs to give a new player some fudge-factor to learn how the game works besides dropping you straight into a fight that you are grossly under leveled for.

I completely agree with everything he said, it's like he was reading my mind.

Uninstalled after 2 hours of playing and I was even with my brother which should have helped the overall fun factor.
    >overrated