7.0

1. Jun 5, 2013
    The sheer scale and organization of PlanetSide 2 really overwhelms a new player, the thrill of running along with hundreds of teammates, doing large scale operations, is just one of a kind.
    Not to mention that its graphics are basically god-tier, up there with Crysis and Battlefield for sure.
  2. Jun 5, 2013
    The game is definitely not pay to win: I play for free and I'm doing great. If you want to upgrade every class and every vehicle, it's going to take some time though. Excellent game overall, with an extremely dedicated dev team very close to the community. They are doing great work.
    The game is very rough CPU wise though.
  3. Jun 6, 2013
    Without a doubt the best and most rewarding strategic FPS out there today. There is nothing that matches its scale and excitement and I recommend it wholeheartedly.

The first thing that's worth noting is that many of the reviews on this page (including possible this one) are very dated, and vast amount has changed since then, so do try and ignore the most outdated, as many of the
    comments are no longer relevant.

The learning curve is still relatively steep but I think this is in PS2s favor when the alternative in the generic dumbed down FPS we're all used to. With that in mind definitely make sure you give yourself long enough when you play to get to grips with things before forming an opinion, as the pure scale of the environment and battles can be overwhelming.

The best fun, especially early on, is had when playing with a friend or ideally a group, or an outfit. As you gain experience lone wolfing is very enjoyable too, but remember the game is designed with team play at the forefront. Also playing with friends definitely helps smooth out the learning curve.

The free to play model is fair with anything that you can buy for money for the most part being sidegrades so you can still have a great time playing for free. That being said I think it's important to remember that someones gotta pay the bills and a subscription or occasional SC purchase if you can afford it will pay off and reward the devs for their hard work.

What's more I think SOE are earning their keep in terms of patching issues with the game, adding new content and promoting a community. The game isn't perfect but its always improving and so I feel happy that I'm getting my money's worth committing the time and the subscription fee.

If you're a fan of FPSs that have a great deal of strategy, depth, scale and variety then you owe it to yourself to give PS2 a try!
  4. Sep 11, 2013
    Three distinct factions, fighting on three huge continents for the supremacy on the planet. Many classes to choose from with a detailed and durable character growth system. There is no need to spend money to be competitive. Deep, immense and fast-paced: PlanetSide 2 is a MMOFPS that played in a group offers hours of pure fun. Unfortunately it still lacks of a solid outfit system and it's bad optimized for most personal computers. Expand
  5. Jul 7, 2014
    Once you get into this game it if a fantastic amount of fun. The battles are on such a massive scale. Graphics are not as good as some other shoot em up platforms but am sure its done like that to be able to run massive servers.
  6. Jan 10, 2014
    Funny but beyond of a masterpiece.
    It's not pay per win but you must play for a few months just to get 1 decent weapon with attachments for a class and basic gear to not die in seconds with tanks and aircraft.
  7. Mar 24, 2014
    I've played this game since beta... even played planetside 1 which I enjoyed(the base fights were awesome!). This game is never fun... here are some reasons:

1) you spend 99% of the time bored, running in vast empty lands just to get to a fight. running 20 mins to get to a 5 min fight is not my idea of "epic".

2) Almost all spawns are dependant on other players deciding where to
    deploy. So your left with extremely fustrating options...(see my previous point)

3) Game is 100% pay to win/avoid grinding. 7.50$ to buy each gun... that's a ripoff and it ruins the gaming experience. So unless your spending 300$, you are essentially not enjoying the full experience of this game.

4) The bases are extremely bland and boring. It amounts to nothing but a copy paste of the same pixels

5) Everyone is forced to squad/platoon together and this is not fine when your gaming revolves spending your time camping empty bases with no enemy's to kill "just because" it's the team objective. YOU HAVE NO OPTIONS, this is the gameplay, follow the zerg or DO NOTHING.

6. The bases and fights are incredibly bland. Nothing special about them... there's no epic element about the MMO aspect.... after 2-3 hours you'll realise the first 10 mins is exactly like your 50th hour.

7. Everyone wants to play a tank or vehicle class. The problem is it only takes 1 or 2 of these to paralyze 50+ infantry. Why is this bad? Basically, this game has NO INFANTRY battles... almost all fights are just zergfests between Vehicles killing each other. You never actually duel other "soldiers".

I keep reinstalling the game, reminding myself how stupid of an idea it was.

After 10 mins, I get fustrated and log off...
  8. Feb 27, 2014
    It's a great game in all but they love to screw over their customs as much as possible few nerfing weapons and to deleting times/remaking it with a different features. So I am not very happy on how the deal with customer loyalty.
  9. Apr 11, 2014
    This game is fantastic. In my opinion, it's better than EA's garbage child - BF4. I actually played this game awhile back. Back when it was in it's **** condition. You know, poor optimizations and stuff. I hopped into it again, and was surprised on how much the performance improved. Which is amazing! Now I can enjoy the game fully.

THIS GAME IS BETTER THAN BF4 OR BF3!
  10. Mar 26, 2014
    >Frustrating and not fun describes my initial reaction to this game This guy said it best in his review bi0mech81 Frustrating and not fun describes my initial reaction to this game. First and foremost is the learning curve. from the start you spawn in the middle of a fight with nothing telling you what your objectives are, or even where your teammates are. Should you be unfortunate enough to spawn in the middle of a tank fight (as was my first experience) you feel helpless as you die, respawn, and die again as soon as you respawn. An in-game "Newbie" area, some kind of zone where you go only when you first start a character would be greatly appreciated as throughout my first hour of gameplay I was consistantly pitted against players of level 38 or higher. The extremely large playing area makes snipers and tanks gods on the ground. I have not been able to fly any of the aircraft, yet because everytime I spawn an air vehicle it is destroyed immediately. I'm not an avid FPS player by any stretch of the means- I grew up on Doom, Quake, and UT, and I manage about a 1:1 Kill to death ratio in CoD, and tend to play support roles in TF2. On average I have 2 kills and over 50 deaths in planet side due to spawn camping. spawning at a point that is distant from the battle just means I get to run for 10 minutes to die from a sniper that I can't see. Playing a supporting role in PS2 is down right rage-inducing. Healing a friendly player may or may not reward XP, and unlike TF2, you cannot heal a heavy to keep them up while they sustain gunfire. Reviving fallen players is fairly pointless unless they died less than 2 seconds in front of you. The Engineer's turret is too inaccurate for the distances at which forces are regularly engaged in. The tanks are done well- and in many cases are over-powered. many of the bases are designed so you can just snipe away at the enemy generator with your tank and destroy it without worry of being engaged by the defenders. Running over your own teammates results in a suicide for them, and no penalty for yourself- great if you just want to troll your own team, as is often the case. What this game direly needs is level segregation of some form- whether it's designated levels for zones where as you out level the zone you do less damage, or you cannot respawn into a zone you are out leveled for, something needs to give a new player some fudge-factor to learn how the game works besides dropping you straight into a fight that you are grossly under leveled for.

I completely agree with everything he said, it's like he was reading my mind.

Uninstalled after 2 hours of playing and I was even with my brother which should have helped the overall fun factor.
    >overrated
    >walking simulator
    >friendly fire
    >poor balance
    >no level separation
  11. Jun 5, 2014
    Oh Planetside 2. How you fail to grasp the concept on what "Fun" is. Did your community trick around in the game engine and found some cool looking glitch that had no chance of being used practically whatsoever? Ban & Remove it.

Did your veteran fans have the audacity to contact you in order to perhaps get on an unannounced & not planned double SC weekend at Saturday 00:01 as they
    bought SC at regular value at Friday, 23:59? Tell em to go f*ck off.

Then again, people should have known better than to spend valuable money on people that have no idea on how to run a business, and even less so, develop a video-game. As of today with only 3,000 players left from 10,000-30,000, Planetside 2 and Sony Online Entertainment are the leading prime-examples on how to not run a business.
  12. Jul 17, 2014
    Planetside 2 dwarfs other games, at least in terms of shear size and capability. You can find yourself fighting in battles ranging from only a few players to hundreds, perhaps even thousands of players. However, Planetside 2 being so big comes at a price: Performance.

Let me say, right off the bat, you need a good PC to play this game. Even some top of the line rigs can have trouble
    playing this game on the lowest of settings. However, recently, SOE has been working specifically to improve overall game performance, but still don't expect to play this game on your grandmothers laptop.

Despite the performance issues, Planetside 2 is a very enjoyable game, once you get the hang of it. You may find that the first couple hours you play the game, you might find yourself frustrated. But once you learn some of the basic tactics/strategies, you can become a very good player. But even after you get the hang of it, the learning curve is still quite large, and you may find yourself playing the game for a REALLY long time. I have been playing Planetside 2 for over a year and a half, and I am barely halfway through. However, assuming you can get past that, I'd definitely recommend giving Planetside 2 a shot. It still has plenty of growing room, (I think the developers have a 10-year development cycle!) and as is, there are plenty of great features to be explored.
  13. Jan 12, 2013
    Perfect thrilling game! You only must learn to fight in this game and then everything will be all right. For a newbie this game will be difficult but when you fight together with your brothers-in-arm, when you step by step will study how to win the enemy then you will receive a lot of pleasure playing this game.
  14. Dec 19, 2012
    Free to play alone sells this game, but add to it high production values, massive maps, huge player counts, one of the most complex perk upgrade systems in any game i've seen, good graphics... the only real weak spot of the game is floaty controls but other than that, it's a must have for any PC gamer.
  15. Aug 30, 2013
    I played planetside 1 for many years and looked forward to PS2 in 2012. But on release I hated so much about it that I walked away (back to BF3). Roll on several months to June 2013 and I decided to give it another go and I'm sooooo glad I did. PS2 is now fantastic fun. It feels very polished and there is a huge amount of varied fun to be had. Interestingly in PS1 I played in an outfit throughout but for PS2 I play solo as heavy assault my k/d is nearly 2:1 and contrary to other reviewers I find it very easy to have fun without joining a squad. However I do recommend you walk away from battles which are clearly unwinnable. I'm having so much fun that the ps4/xbox one choice became simple for me PS4 simply because it will have PS2 on it. Expand
  16. Dec 6, 2012
    This is the best free FPS I have ever played. If your looking for a shooter and your tired of COD and BF3 you should definitely give this game a try. : )
  17. Dec 3, 2012
    I read the first negative review I saw (from bi0mech81) and quite frankly everything the said has no bearing... Im sorry your terrible at playing a average difficulty FPS/MMO but the game cant help you there. Snipers are not a real problem, go heavy and thrown on a shield expose them and kill them. Tanks are what they are for power... they cost an ingame currency to buy to keep players from repeatedly spawning tanks to use. If you spawn in the middle of tank fight as a new person, SPAWN ELSEWHERE since it is actually impossible to have a spawn point ONLY in a battle as every team has a "safe zone" area so you cant be "pushed off" the map. This game is HUGE with thousands of players in a map, if a medic could heal a heavy and keep him alive under fire the game would be incredibly imbalanced. As a medic healing will ALWAYS get you xp if you sustain it to do the other player any good just flashing them a quick heal with your heal gun doesnt help them and hence wont reward you. When I started this game I did spawn into a battle and died a few times but quickly figured most things out. To start my game I went with a heavy player since they have a large clip and a shield to further increase tanking ability. The game is incredibly fun and open, the weapon/armor/vehicles can all be customized with different attachment etc to a depth even better than battlefield. There is a learning curve, it took me probably 3 hours or so to get all of the major gameplay aspects down and I would consider myself an average FPS guy, far from expert. Part of the beauty of a game like this is the sheer numbers required to make big differences in the game, sometimes in a large battle you will get killed with little you can do to prevent it (save hiding) just due to the number of crosshairs pointing back at your large group of soldiers assaulting a particular location. No single player of any skill level can capture a defended zone by himself because the game is so big everything significant will require a sustained effort from many individuals and that makes this game a hell of alot of fun in my opinion. Expand
  18. Feb 22, 2013
    Most of the people that gave this game a poor score have not a PC that manages to run it properly. This is a fact. You need a high-end machine to appreciate this awesome MMOFPS to whom I can't find any real lack, a part a bit of lacking content. Its gameplay is fun and immersive and it just needs more development. Since it is fullt free to play I cannot give it anything less than a top score.
  19. Dec 2, 2012
    It is a shame that it is released too quickly, you can definitely spot a lot of thing that are wrong with the game at this point, but whatever the case, i feel like this game deserves to do well, i wasn't sure if an FPS and MMO mixed together would work, but i was luckily very wrong, it's so good,
  20. Feb 23, 2014
    Best scale of warfare on the market, NOT P2W,100+ players in a single battle with tanks, gunships and other vehicles. Has some problems because of its F2P nature like really slow progression if you don't want to pay, but is definitely not P2W, more like Pay-2-skip-some-grind, or purchase cosmetics. GOOD Huge scale makes you really feel like participating in a battle, with tanks bombarding enemy base, fighters flying over your head in deadly dogfights and infantry charging.

Great customization of classes, vehicles and equipment, many many weapons and gadgets to suit your playstyle (but very slow progression if you don't pay).

Map is huge (split between 3, and soon 4 continets) and has decent variety, while it may get repetetive it makes you really feel the epic scale when you see your faction advance or lose ground, giving the battles a nice touch of consequence for win/loss

Game heavily supports playing with an outfit (clan) making coop very satisfying (while at the same time lone wolves have it harder).

Constant patches with new content from SOE makes the game interesting and even if you get bored there's typically more goodies in a few months to come back to and check out

BAD

Extremely slow progression to force you into paying for micro transactions is annoying and makes the game grindy and repetetive

Not really a game for lone wolves, you can do very little impact on your own, which makes the game a bit more boring

Total lack of destructible terrain and ragdoll physics makes it kinda static, even after an hour-long battle battlefield looks exactly the same ruining the illusion

Cheaters ! Due to F2P nature and lack of reliable banning mechanics there are many cheaters with aimbots and other idiotic things that try to ruin your experience, and SOE is not really capable of handling them properly

OVERALL
    I recommend this game to fan of large-scale warfare like Battlefield, this game is rather similar to it, but anyone who likes good FPS should try it, it's free so it's worth trying for everyne.
  21. Mar 9, 2013
    My journey with this game started with frustration, I've installed game from Steam, wanted to fly, but joystick didn't work back then.. I came back few months later, and... everything worked great. I don't play a lot games, and I didn't play multi-player except for Starcraft 2 which was uber frustrating. But. after 80+ hours of play I can say that Planetside 2 is unique and very addictive With great number of classes, vehicles, tactics, and ways to develop your character gameplay is one of the best I've seen in my whole life. So, play, play, play and see you on the The Crown shouting "your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries" Expand
  22. Nov 28, 2012
    If you are a new player, go google some tutorials and look on the website before hopping into the action.

Now, Planetside 2 is an AMAZING MMOFPS IF you have the machine to run it, if not, then I feel bad because you are missing the most wonderful modern gaming experience today. Even if playing alone, the breathtaking large-scale battles are extremely enjoyable to participate in, and the
    customization allows you to modify your character to your own playstyle. DOWNLOAD NOW Expand
  23. Nov 27, 2012
    Planetside 2 is a game that has unbelievable polish for what is a free game. while i admit that it has lag issues and bugs there are moments in this game that are absolutely spectacular. Plus its FREE so go play it for yourself
  24. Dec 10, 2012
    The game is fun none the less but has fllaws.. Graphics: + Phsyx is in this game (but currently turned off) + The environment and changing of day and night is a nice touch - blurry/low res areas - Not really something special compared to other games but due to the size of the planet... its good Gameplay: + The game is a nice futuristic game and plays out well and is much more exciting than halo 4
    + It really draws you into the war feeling since there is a lot going on
    + Vehicles are fun and useful
    + You can upgrade basically anything you want to and use the classes you like the best or all of them
    - When you are cornered the game feels like a repetitive camp fest where the other team wont back off and you continuously die BUT if you spawn elsewhere there isn't really any helping the team fight at all.
    - bugs, bugs , bugs, bugs, and more bugs... Some people with lag or bad computers teleport and go through walls... some people can be looking 1 way on your screen and actually be looking at you on yours.

Sounds:
    + Nice in game music (AT TIMES)
    + Have their own sounds for guns
    - You can randomly hear people talk on their mic that aren't in your squad - Not really the best "killed by" screen..

Other:
    + You can buy skins, etc. to pimp out your characters/vehicles
    - You can buy weapons, etc. instead of saving up to purchase them with in game currency so in a way it's too easy for some to have much better weapons.

The game is fun, new, frustrating at times, and buggy. Basically it evens out although it still needs some polishing and the performance isn't really the best I've seen but that's okay since it just came out.
  25. Jul 2, 2014
    I didn't really like this game so I'll just focus on the bad points in order of most annoyances.
    1) Big **** mindless open world pvp, strategy and tactic is hard to pull off when you need either 100 people cooperating or your up agaisn't 100 enemies. Just so very mindless unless you hit low populated areas. 2) Certs are extremely slowly rewarded, frustrating stuck with starter weapons and
    bored. 3) Pay2FastTrack game (another form of P2W) want to try lots of things and have fun? If you could Pay $60 to unlock everything (likes a normal game) that would be an absolute bargain in PS2, but you know they are greedy. 4) Yes it's a large scale game, but those graphics are ugly as hell, nothing stands out its just dull unless you are flying. 5) Overall ok game to start with but how you play you realise there are better games out there to play instead, on a side note Sony will kill H1Z1 if it has anything like a PS2 item shop. Expand
  26. Dec 13, 2012
    An addicting and and pleasant surprise to the MMO genre in short. The impressive draw distance coupled with impressive graphical fidelity for such a massive game does give the good impression of a massive, persistent open world. While the landscape and locations are decently varied from location to location somewhat less care was given to player assets such as weapons and vehicles. Roughly half of the vehicles available to each race are the same as the ones available to the others. As well as the vast majority of the weapons are shamelessly visual copy and pastes with very minor changes if any at all, only having changes in their stats. Despite this each race has a unique look and style that works for them. The game play is the old tried and true class based multi-player first person shooter. Each class has their own special abilities and equipment that can be upgraded using "certs". This is where the balance issues start to glare at you. Acquiring certs is paced like dragging a 1000 pound bag of sand down an endless road through 2 feet of snow, stopping every ten miles to receive a dollar to put towards a million dollar sleigh to help you pull the bag faster. What I'm trying to say is that it's a free to play game, but it's pay to win. The people who choose to invest in the game will stand head and shoulders above those who actually want a free to play game. This obvious issue turns certain players into bullet sponges while leaving others as glass tissues on the battlefield. While you're given bonuses for investing larger amounts in the game, the cost of weapons in the game probably lies between 6 and 7 dollars on average. Given that there are hundreds of things to buy, and certs and spent money don't carry over to other characters you create, this is a huge problem. I might be focusing a lot on this, but it really is a glaring issue. If you can find the time to acquire enough certs however you'll find a functional and enjoyable FPS that offers massive battles on a scale that we haven't seen in games since the total war franchise. The levels are laid out on a honeycomb gird that shows territories that are fought over by the three factions. The levels have varying terrain with strong holds and towns dotting the landscape. There's a unique feel to each of the continents you fight on, and each base type have a different strategy required to take control. While the actual bases and building are going to start to seem familiar to frequent players it's the area around the bases that creates a new and distinct feel at each location. A strange bit of poor design, being a little richer due to better environmental design. Overall, I give PlanetSide 2 a 7 out of 10. Expand
  27. Apr 30, 2013
    Let me start out by telling what Planetside 2 gets right. The maps are large and made to feel like what a war zone should be like, and the sheer fact that the game is actually an constant everlasting MMO-FPS like promised is something mind-boggling. That alone deserves praise from people all around, whether you like the game or not.

But about right there is where the good times stop,
    very abruptly. You spawn in for the first anywhere: you don't get to choose. You could end up lucky and spawn at a deserted base, or you'll get completely screwed over and spawn in the middle of hell with enemy fire hitting you from all directions. Either way though, you're still practically a sitting duck because you'll immediately have to go through the controls to learn how to PLAY the game. I don't care who you are, a tutorial is ALWAYS a good idea for those that are new to the series and have no clue what the hell they're doing.

Another major problem is that it is as repetitive as every single modern shooter with very little to no change. The only change you may see is that you've been blown up by five tanks instead of five rocket launchers. Go to this base, shoot this guy, die because he's played more, go to that base, shoot that guy, die again, get in a "plane," crash because you weren't given a tutorial on how to fly, and then wait for another spawn, and so on, and so on until you get bored or until your computer mercifully crashes to save your sanity.

The third problem of the game is it's major lack of story. Yes, there are three factions, yes it's on another planet, but which planet the game's on nobody knows. Why the three factions are warring is a question only people majorly invested in learning the cannon know. Or who leads any of the factions is left to speculation as far as I'm aware. The game has less story than a game that doesn't look like it needs one (i.e. TF2).

But the major, overall problem with almost every SOE Free2play MMO is their incessant love for in-game currency or real-money in-game purchases for better weapons. In other words, the game is a pay-to-win system where the rich get to use fancy weapons and hi-tech gear that can kill any player just by looking, while the new player just sits back and repeatedly slams his head into a wall because it's more entertaining.

Overall, the game is a grand promise of grandeur and amazement marred by horrible design choices, a pay-to-win system, multiple glitches, hackers, and spawn campers, and NO story at all. As far as a F2P game goes, I would recommend anything from Team Fortress 2 to Warframe. Yet, as it is a F2P game, you won't lose any money off of playing, so... test it...? Maybe you'll like it, but I sure as hell wouldn't even begin to call this game good, let alone call it an MMO of the year.
  28. Dec 16, 2012
    After experiencing more than 3 hours of Planet Side I have to take back my previous review. Starting out you are going to get owned. You have to climb a huge wall just to become good enough where you have a good chance of killing someone without dying 5 times. You will rage (maybe break a keyboard like I did) but once you get passed this "introduction period" you will enjoy yourself like no other game has ever provided. Fighting along side 20-100 other people in 1-5 hour attacks on a single base is amazing and by playing this I now realize how much **** other fps are. The only thing that can come close is BF3. Planet Side 2 is just bigger, better, and more compared to other games. If you really want to feel like you're in a war this game will satisfy and more. Just be willing to sacrifice a keyboard or 2 for that fun (Luckily I had a spare). Expand
  29. Feb 15, 2013
    The good... Maps are amazing, sound is great, grafics are good for a game of this scale, it's free. The bad... bugs, no in-game tutorials, hard learning curve, pay-to-win. And more importantly... you fight for nothing. The last point is what annoys me the most about this game. I would have given it a good 8 or even 9, but i have to be honest. You virtually fight for nothing. The continent is persistent and each faction has a safe zone near their gate that cannot be conquered. This means that no empire can trully conquer a continent, and thus you have no solid goals in this game. You managed to expend the control of your empire on the continent? Pointless, log-in the next day and you'll need to conquer them again. Over and over and over... This is a big flaw in my opinion. But if you don't mind killing stuff for no reason, this game is just for you. Dust 514 is more promissing i think. Sure it has a smaller scale, it's on the PS3 only, grafics are good but not on par with PS2. BUT... you fight for something, what you do has consequences. And that alone my friends makes Dust a much better game. Expand
  30. Dec 22, 2012
    Probably my favorite game of all time. Alot of people say it's pay-to-win but it's really not, the base weapons are better than the ones you can buy. The weapons you can buy though do cost quite a bit I won't lie but like I said the base weapon is usually the best out of them all. Certs can be slow to make to but if you want quick certs I just repair turrets after a battle, most of the time you will be the only one repair (because everyone scatters to the next area) and it can get boring and long but you'll make a good amount of XP and certs.
    Lastly, you can play this game with a lower end PC but do note that you will have to play on the lowest settings (like me) even on the lowest settings I tend to crash every three or four hours. But that doesn't bother me at all. So yeah, I suggest a higher end PC to have the best experience.
  31. Jan 26, 2013
    There is a lot of people who write that the game is riddled with bugs and hackers. But that's a straight up lie. I play on lithcorp EU and have only experienced minor bugs, that's it.

The good part is the massive battles, solid gameplay, the good graphics and faction difference.
    If you play in a squad or in a outfit you will have the most fun, coordinating attacks and executing squad
    strategies. it's a awesome sight when a horde of soldiers is pushing trough a chockepoint, or a zerg of tanks is rolling trough the indar desert devestating the opposition. That feeling is not found in any other game. The Bad part: many of the weapons look and feel similar, the unlock prosess feel a littlebit grindy, some minor bugs, some balance issues (smal ones) and a steep learningcurve (no tutorial and explanation for what's going on).
    You CAN ulock everything (not cosmetic items) just by playing, but it will take alot of time.
    And the starting weapons and loadouts are very good, it's almost all skillbased how good you will do in the game.
    So it's a OK Microtransactions system, but time-consuming if you don't want to spend a dime.

Download and try it for yourself, You have nothing to loose since it's F2P =)
  32. Jan 28, 2013
    It's hard to describe how I feel about this game. It goes from hot to cold so quickly, and infantry combat feels so secondary to tanks and aircraft. But when you're in a big battle, it's the most fun and exciting thing every conceived. It's like you're in a Star Wars movie. So much is happening all around you, it's just so intense. I can't say it's for everyone, but it's free, and worth the time to try it and see for yourself. Expand
  33. Jan 9, 2013
    Fun to play, missing prone / vault though and weapons could be cheaper for ingame currency, other than that like i said before: Planetside 2 offers alot of EPIC fun for a free game, dont hesitate to try it, its free!
  34. Dec 30, 2012
    I'll be clear, if you are a person who wants a game easy to win, then this game is not for you go play world of warcraft or something for the average player. This game is amazing, in graphics and game play, battles of 200vs200 in one zone is great, you have to use tactics and learn from your errors. join a squad to be coordinated, I started to play this game and died ALOT I got used to the easy FPS games like COD or BF, but this is not easy and makes you want to be better everyday, and is NOT pay to win, you can get everything with game points, the only things you cant buy with game points are just visual nothing else. It's like league of legends. If you don't know how to play find an Outfit, log in the forums, ask for help, look the planet side 2 wiki google it! you will learn. Expand
  35. Dec 26, 2012
    One thing i like is how everyone giving it a bad review complains about dying instantly and stuff being overpowered. I think some people just got owned too hard and wants to go back to easy call of duty.
    This game is really addictive and amazing, with good graphics. They are coming out with regular updates and bug fixes so i dont see why people are complaining. You have access to
    everything that other people do even if you dont pay for the game. Maybe not the comestic stuff but weapons, and vehicle weapons, you just have to earn up certification points which is quite easy once you actually play good. One problem with the game is the infantry render distance. They are not rendered when you are far away which is hard for jets and snipers. But that is being fixed in the next patch.

So, i suggest people giving the game a bad review. Go back to something easier, more casual. Because you cannot handle Planetside 2.
  36. Aug 6, 2013
    This game is halo/battlefield on steroids, and surprisingly its free. I use a weapon that has the highest RPM in my faction. So I win most close to mid range encounters and I only paid 250 creds for it, so the game is not pay to win. The only down side is the story line is simple, and the game takes a while to get used to because the tutorial is crap. In conclusion, it is probably the best fps I have played in a long time, and that is mainly because of the enormity of the battles and number of players involved is something to be seen to be believed. Expand
  37. Nov 25, 2012
    Game was not ready for launch there is rendering distance issues, server lag issues, and many other things that the beta testers made them aware of that they ignored. All unlocks bought with cash only stay on 1 character and are non transferable which they do not make clear when you purchase. Devs pretend to listen to the community but do nothing about the complaints so far. They just take the giant threads asking for them to change something broken and move them to the back corner of the forums and ignore them. Maybe it will get better and hey its F2P just don't bother spending any real money on it. Expand
  38. Nov 27, 2012
    Ok so everyone who has been saying the game is terrible, it's free. Why is everyone complaining? For a free game, the graphics are incredible. The reason there are glitches and bugs is because it JUST came out and the game itself along with the maps are MASSIVE. Yes, of course there is an issue with unbalanced weapons due to people who pay. Why does it matter? Suck it up and enjoy the game for what it is. The game is amazing. The battles are huge, usually 100 people per team. The scenery is so well done with the atmosphere of the game that it's just... Beautiful. If played alone, the game is fun. If you play it with a squad of 12 people where there's a very good squad leader (the way I play) the game is unbeatable. Imagine sneaking behind enemy lines with a single Sunderer (the vehicle that allows people to spawn on it) and hiding it under an enemy base two territories over, then taking the massive base with 12 people, while the enemy doesn't even notice you're there until it's too late. Planetside 2 is the definition of teamwork and it's the type of game I and a lot of my friends have been looking for. Sony did an amazing job with this game. Yes, glitches do exist and can get quite annoying. Hit detection isn't the best. There have been times where I shot 50 rounds into someone's chest at point blank and didn't get one hit marker. But my team was there to kill him, so it's ok. Vehicles can be over powered at times, but all you need to do is shoot them with a rocket launcher a few times and it's all good. The Certification system is kind of like most other F2P games, but still a great concept and executed very well. If everyone would just stop complaining about stupid things like the people who pay 15 dollars a month to play to get overpowered things, and maybe look at the gameplay part of it, maybe everyone would enjoy it! That's those people's choice to pay 15 bucks a month to play. You don't have to, so why complain? The game is amazing and it's free, which makes it even better. Yea it's not the best polished game out there, and maybe Sony could've waited a month or two to fix all of the glitches and bugs, but it's FREE. You don't need to pay 60$ for it. I've already put 55 hours into the game and I'm still playing. I love it, and it's just perfect. I over analyze everything. But I seem to just stop caring about any negative things about the game and just enjoy it's pure awesomeness. It's free. Download it and try it. I always say gameplay is completely based off of opinion, which is very true, but this game is just amazing. If you like FPS, you need to at least try this game. Don't give up in the first 5 minutes because it's confusing. Play it for a few hours until you at least have an idea of what you're doing. Remember, ITS FREE. Expand
  39. Dec 13, 2012
    The best part about about PS2 is the epic scale of combined arms warfare. It still takes my breath away to watch dozens of tanks exchanging fire in the field while aircraft and bombers blaze in the sky above and hundreds of infantry blasting each other in a beautiful persistent world ALL AT THE SAME TIME. You just can't get that with any other game out there today. POSITIVE: It's free to play. The developers are actually talking to the players and changing the game based on player suggestions which is very rare these days. Just a few days ago a patch got released which added lots of new content that players were asking for.

NEGATIVE: Having played through the whole beta, I was very disappointed that a lot bugs and faction balance issues are still not fixed in the live version. A lot of continents and weapons from the original Planetside 1 didn't make it to launch. However, it's free to play so I don't have to waste money until they fix the problems . You also will need a decent PC to play the game until performance optimization will be adjusted in future patches.

I was going to give PS2 a 9 score but the game got released way too early for obvious SOE $$$ reasons so I bumped the score down to 7. I'm confident that the game will only get better over time.
  40. Dec 1, 2012
    Planetside 2 has epic scale. It is great for team play so I would recommend looking for an outfit. It has lots of potential and will grow as a game. There is no pay 2 win, as other have suggested, as all weapons can be purchased with XP. As such, the cash shop allows people to get stuff faster. Graphics are nice for an MMO and they are pro-actively fixing bugs which are only minor.
  41. Dec 3, 2012
    Incredibly beautiful and breathtaking game. The map designs are brilliant. At the moment there are only 3 maps (continents) but each of them are huge. You never feel it getting monotonous or boring unlike BF3 or other modern military shooters. The Dev's have put a lot of thought into the design of this game and at no point do you feel its aspects being unbalanced. Every tank zerg or air brigade can be countered with a little bit of team work. The only criticism would be its current level of optimization and slow certification progress, which the devs are working on. Again, unlike said mms shooters devs, these guys have listened to the community and changed a lots of aspects of the game for the better since beta. You can play this game by yourself and appreciate its beauty as the day night cycles go on but it truly shines when you are playing with a group of friends or with a platoon of people working together. Highly recommend watching some tutorials on youtube though as it can be confusing for completely new players. Once you get the hang of it though you will enjoy this game immensely. Expand
  42. Dec 3, 2012
    Let my start by saying that if you don't like this game, you suck, PS2 is the best F2P FPS I have ever played in my life. Even a lone wolf could destroy with a sniper and some creativity, best of all you can not camp or cheat. Sony also does not seem to have any reason to make this game pay to win and so far, none of the paid unlocks are really that good. Its a well rounded game that destroys its competition with its new ideal and MMO style. Great fun for all players. Expand
  43. Dec 6, 2012
    "OMG it has bugs! And my computer sucks!" Seriously? This game is miles ahead of every first person shooter on the market right now and people nitpick it? It has flaws, the render distance needs to be increased and there are a couple of balance issues, and there are aformentioned bugs...... but did I mention its a 3 faction all out war on a miles wide map with hundreds of people?
  44. Feb 8, 2013
    Great MMOFPS. It requires team-play and concentration. Although it has solid graphics, there are way to many bugs. Shooting, sound, the ideas and the maps are great. This game is Pay2Win that sucks But, you don't have to pay a dime to be pro at it.
  45. Feb 24, 2013
    Never played a first person shooter to this extent, with team work that comes into play, which makes this great. A lot of different ways to play the game, but its not as fun if your not in an outfit or team with friends. IT IS VERY DEMANDING, in terms of the amount of time it takes to earn enough points to get a new gear, but keep in mind its possible and unlockable, except for cosmetics which you need to pay. I've played MANY hours then i did with any game. ONLY negatives i like to bring out is that the game feels like a BETA, still a lot of bugs and aren't managed well. Playing this game on high or ultra graphics look outstanding with the amount of players this game holds though. Just keep in mind, MOST of the people complaining are the ones that refuse to pay a dime. Although i do agree if you dont have much time, then it can perhaps get frustrating not having what others already have. Overall though, very great game, just give it sometime, afterall its free. Expand
  46. Dec 17, 2012
    PlanetSide2 is an amazing game, unique and normal at the same time. How things look is what strikes you first as you enter the huge world of Auraxis, the game is free2play and still has stunning graphics. The game is a ton of fun to play and keeps you interested because of their level system and the fact that it's so interactive. You have to play as much as possible to take over as much as possible, after all you don't want to let your faction down. Expand
  47. Dec 25, 2012
    Well, I'll be short here. As soon as I figured out what to do and where to go, I fell in love with this game. Maybe the graphics and model movement are not the most vivid thing in Planetside 2, but somehow the atmosphere of massive fights take my breath away as I fly into the battle with my Scyth (Fighter Jet). This is yet my favorite game till Planetside 3, that's for sure!
    I gave this
    game 12/10 but took 2 points for indoor graphics. Bio Labs look poor from inside, so as many other buildings.

Definitely going to recommend this game to everyone in the world!
  48. Dec 19, 2012
    Planetside 2 certainly has flaws. The game will drop you into combat without any real direction. You can spend the first few hours dying constantly, leaving you with a sense of frustration. Which is understandable, because those first few hours are frustrating.

I stuck with the game and after a day found myself grinning from ear to ear. The scale of the battles is what keeps me
    coming back. I still die all the time and my kill-death ratio is a horrendous .4, yet I keep logging back in. The scene of a dozen tanks and aircraft vying for supremacy alongside dozens of infantry is just...stunning.

Unfortunately, there is a bit of Pay2Win in the game. The game is F2P, and you can unlock all the weapons in time without paying a dime, provided you're willing to spend several years at it. The certification points accrue slowly. After several days of game play I've managed to reach 255, just over 25% of what's necessary to unlock one of the better weapons.

If you can overlook the bugs and the fact that you'll be blown up by some guy who just dropped $100 on his aircraft then you'll be happy. I certainly am. If you're looking to be competitive without spending any money? Yeah, that's not happening.
  49. Dec 20, 2012
    Planetside 2 is a MMO First-Person-Shooter, published and developed by SOE. The player can choose from three different Factions which fight over control of the Planet. The Game world consists of three different continents and each of them has a few dozens of areas that can be controlled through conquering certain key points. The player is given the task to increase the influence of his faction by fighting for control
    of the areas. For this purpose you can choose from about half a dozen classes and vehicles per faction, which all can be customized even further. It makes sense to organizing in squads
    to increase the success rate in the battles and i highly recommend doing so, since playing alone
    makes no fun in the long run.

Planetside 2 has beautiful graphics and looks really polished, however the areas repeat themselves a lot and there are no real highlights, which is acceptable considering the sheer amount of players taking part in fights and the game still running fluid.
    What really makes the game unique are the gigantic battles with hundreds of players participating, which sets the game apart from most other game of its genre which play all alike.

Planetside itself is free to play, so everyone who has interest in playing, can do so
    without paying. It finances itself through an real-money shop in which you can buy additional
    weapons and visual adjustments for your classes and vehicles.
    Even though you can buy equipment for money it doesn't give u an advantage, because the weapons everyone gets for free are pretty much all-around weapons and bought stuff only widens the repertoire.

I can only recommend everyone who enjoys playing shooters at least once in a while to try
    out Planetside 2, for this is one of the best games of the year and by far the best free game of the last years.
  50. Dec 21, 2012
    I've been playing Counter-Strike 1.6 since I the day I got internet. Friends from school were talking about that game whole day long and it directly was my favorite game on day one. I have never played such a great game after it...untill now... PlanetSide 2 is perfect. I'm playing this game since the first day of the beta and I have never played Counter-Strike again. The multiplayer experience is amazing, the graphics are very nice, the developers are very helpful and friendly and it's free to play! I am sure that i'm going to play this game for many years to come. Simply said: It's the best game EVER. Expand
  51. Dec 21, 2012
    really great game. i played the beta so had a head start on others in terms of knowing how to play that does take a little while but its good fun. use the map to drop yourself into hotspots (big battles) then experiment with classes and join the fight, dont worry about setting up spawn locations etc more experienced players will do that for you. if you are confused by objectives etc just youtube tutorials or join a squad in game (i think its f11) and fight with them. need to put in a bit of time to learn everything the is to know but once you know that its easy. its basically a massive domination map with 2000 players per continent. just download it and play for yourself, i highly recommend. Expand
  52. Dec 23, 2012
    This is the best F2Pfps on the web. Just due to the size of the maps and battles. Not very good to a person who has never played a fps on a pc. If you have played and of the fps games it will catch on quick. The vehicles take practice. Very realistic flight/battle UI. Sign up and step right in to an epic experience.
  53. Dec 23, 2012
    some people are so insanely stupid that they forget to consider that this game is free...even though it suffers from a pay-to-win disease that is not something new to free to play games and especially the fps genre the game is quite balanced...and to be honest you have no reason to buy new weapons (excluding the rockets and machine guns that you can buy for the vehicles) since all of them look the same and almost all of them are well balanced...this game can get pretty boring only when you are not playing the game correctly and you keep dieing like me ...one drawback of this game is the certs (ingame currency) you have to use them for talent trees for each class individually,for each vehicle individually,for buying weapons for your classes and for your vehicles individually...and all that for only 1 out of the 3 characters you can create.. if you also consider the fact that certs are acquired in a slow rate and an assault rifle (for example) can have a price of 1000 and simple talents can reach more than 100 certs then this is a very very big drawback.Overall this game is quite fun but it still needs a few changes such as cert prices decrease or faster rates of cert acquirement..also some servers are either laggy or my pc needs a big update since im playing on low graphics and im still lagging... Expand
  54. Dec 24, 2012
    When I installed this game, my only intention was to relay how well it ran on my machine for a friend. What I didn't know, was that I was going to have 100 hours logged in less than two weeks of playing it. Planetside 2 is an MMOFPS which boasts servers of up to 2000 players, waging a three way war, in a constant world containing a variety of astounding environments. And the best part is... it actually works. With no NPC's, players alone fuel the intensity and environment that are immediately there when you log in. Some of my favorite stories are simply about how immersive the game is. Like when our Galaxy (aircraft) gets taken out of the sky, and I bail, landing in the midst of an entire enemy army getting prepared to seize The Crown. And with nothing but camouflage and my sniper rifle, I single-handedly cut off a majority of the reinforcements they might have had, while remaining unseen for almost an entire half hour. The game manages to stay on par with FPS's such as Battlefield and Call of Duty, while hosting the elements of an MMO that are enormous in scale. And while I do have my fair share of complaints about the game, SOE has done a great job making sure they listen to their players, and fix what might be wrong. My last words to those of you who are on the fence about playing this game: bring a friend, join an outfit, and prepare for the most engaging experience in online gaming to this day.
    Oh, and it's free.
  55. Dec 26, 2012
    PS2 get tops marks for innovation, something that is rare in today's market. They also get pretty good marks for execution. This is war on a grand scale. It's hard to pick faults. The game itself is free. Despite what some people say it doesn't feel like a play to win model. Yes the certs (ingame reward currency) take a long time to accumulate to unlock items but apart from guns, there is not actually that much that can be bought to make a real difference on the battlefield and nothing that you couldn't eventually unlock with certs anyway.

For a game that has just launched the balance feels excellent (apart from rocket pods decimating infantry too easily *shakes fist*). I've seen the odd aim botter but when you spot them it's very obvious and you can /report them.

This game really shines when you find a good squad, with a leader who is setting objectives and even some voice communication and coordination going. There is nothing like a few squads supported by air and amour assets rolling into a bio lab to crush the opposition.

Give it a whirl.
  56. Dec 26, 2012
    This game is Amazing its amazing what technology has brought us, but wow did Sony go the extra mile this game is fun if you can actually run it, the developers tried to make it to nice and in turn made one of the most advanced games requiring a fairly new graphics card and a bit more ram than typical these days, most games require 2-4 gigs of ram the recommended ram for this game is a whopping 8 gigs or was. But all in all if you can actually run this game you will have a fun time with the large map and constant battles for continents. Expand
  57. Dec 27, 2012
    Ich finde das Spiel einfach klasse. Toller MMO FPS der sich super flüssig spielt auf riesiegen Maps und 100erten von Spielern und das völlig kostenlos. Bin begeistert und kann Planetside 2 jedem empfehlen der auch gerne Battlefield spielt.
  58. Dec 28, 2012
    Planetside2 has taken the next logical step for an FPS. There truly is not another game like it out right now. If gamers would like to see something new, check it out. In response to some of te negative reviews, I'll touch on a few points. First, the game is not pay to win. I have a buddy that has spent zero cash on this game and has far more weapons and gear unlocked than me. He plays a ton more than I do however. The store is for people like me. People that have a little cash to spend but can't play the game for hours on end. People that would rather spend a couple bucks to unlock some great gear that would require more time to unlock than they're willing to spend. It allows casual gamers to have access to gear they can't get with their limited play time. Next, this game really shines when you're playing in a group. So do yourself a favor and find a decent outfit. PS2 is at it's best when coordinating tactics and actions with a large group. If you're having trouble finding a good group on the Mattherson server, come by Supertroopersps.com. We have a great outfit and have a lot of fun. Last, the game is always evolving. The new content is rolling out consistently as a result of player feedback. So if you don't like something, don't quit. Speak your mind. The more people report bugs, and voice what they like and don't like, the faster the problems get addressed. Expand
  59. Dec 29, 2012
    This game will change it everything, not more generic Call of Duty, in Planetside you will see the most EPIC and MASSIVE battles ever, maybe its not very good optimised but un January SOE say that they will be make a LARGE patch to optimise the game, this game is in TOP 10 in the best games of 2012, just look at the amount of prices it has!!
  60. Dec 29, 2012
    For people that feel that the game could use improvements they are righ for the most part. like with certs, though i dont feel like it is such a big issue, but that just me.For people that spend 30 hour and only get about 100 certs try to find a outfit that you like, that you have fun. that when the game get fun. true they should spen a small amount of time to make new player feel like they are helping the team and getting the use to the game. just like many people are saying with lag and the fps i usally alt tab out the game and just go to task manager and find planet side 2 in the 2end tab and right click it then set the priority i think it is and set it to high and that should help some though it might not Expand
  61. Dec 30, 2012
    this game is a total 10 out of 10 if you play the game as its intended.

right as you log in, go straight to the social button, and join a full squad then press dat insert button.
    youll drop into large COORDINATED battles with your 12 man squad - which can go upto a 48 man platoon. leads up to very fun large scale combat. Game is very balanced for the new people and is f2p.
    Man if you
    wanna actually feel the adrenaline rush of war play this game it does a great job that no other game was able to do. there were glitches but most of them are quickly being patched. and if you run triple screen just use 720p. not recommend for console kitties/lone wolves. Collapse
  62. Jan 8, 2013
    One greatest MMOs out there. It makes you feel like an absolute badass when you roll out with an army of tanks and obliterate the bases. I also am deeply in love with the creators of this game, because they aren't money-sucking whores like most MMO creators. It's pretty simple to get the currency needed to buy stuff, this game is the only true free-to-play game around probably. But anyway, this game is all-round really fun. Expand
  63. Jan 10, 2013
    Great game altogether, but if it wasn't for those moments where you get into large battalions of tanks, aircraft, and infantry, the lack luster gun play would bring this game down, not to mention its many issues/bugs. But hey, its a Free-2-Play game that deserves to get more gratitude then most AAA titled games that will rip $60 and soon after lose its luster
  64. Jan 8, 2013
    Best suited to people with a lot of friends, i got this game from the steam free to play section as i thought i would try it out, and found it very enjoyable, there is a huge map and you are constantly in the heat of the action all the time, whether on foot besieging control points, or in tanks and planes destroy vehicles for your huge army to move up with. This is a very good game and something i had always dreamed of playing in my younger years. The UI and HUD is a bit clunky and the races have nothing to deter themselves from each other, in terms of weapon stats etc. every class race has a machine gun, rifle, LMG etc. a tad disappointing but still nothing to be knocked, and hey, its free Expand
  65. Jan 8, 2013
    Amazing game. You need a new computer to run it though. Hard core battles with a mix of armor, troops and air. Highly addictive! You will spend hours and many bases or just one depending on the size of conflict and how important the base is. Yet to play a better game.....enjoy!
  66. Jan 13, 2013
    This game has freemium written all over it.
    For starters, the game looks pretty good.
    Another great aspect is that this game is very strategic; provided there are these kinds of people online.
    It's true that this game just throws you into battle but this is to make sure you don't meander your way into battle. Your thrown in and go.
    The three factions are also well balanced with
    benefits given if your side has less people.
    People are both a benefit and a drawback to this game. More people = more fun. Less people = less fun. This is very much an MMO.
    One of the biggest drawbacks for Planetside 2 is the store. Everything just costs too much and it doesn't seem worth giving actual money to because no real advantage is given; just a few perks here and there.
    This game is still very much not finished so it would be best to keep an eye on it but no necessarily get it.
    This is a game I recommend with an asterix the size of the moon and you should consider carefully, even if it is free, whether this is for you.
  67. Jan 13, 2013
    Planetside 2 is pretty dang good. Here are some pros and cons: PROS - 1) Huge maps with tons of bases, outposts, and facilities to capture. 2) Awesome graphics (I have a high end pc so I can't speak for everyone). 3) Combat on a HUGE scale. I've been in battles with 80+ players. 4) Constant tweaking, patches, and bug fixes. Sony Online Entertainment (SOE) is constantly improving and fixing imbalances and glitches. And the developers actually listen to and engage with the Planetside 2 community. 5) It's free. The in game shop is only for aesthetic items (there aren't any hats, sorry) or to unlock weapons early, which you can unlock with certification points you get pretty easily in game - which means you never have to spend a cent to get the full experience. 6) The sound effects are awesome. It really feels like a battle. 7) Faction rivalries. Just a small part of the game and community but extremely entertaining. CONS - 1) There are some inbalances between factions, but nothing serious. 2) You will die. A lot. It's an online, first person shooter. There will be many players better than you or with better performing pc's than you. 3) Vehicles, especially aircraft, make mincemeat of infantry. It's hard when you first start out, but as you get more experience, learn how to fight against vehicles (if you're not in one) and learn to play better (and learn that dying only means a 5-10 second respawn) the game becomes much more fun. 4) You will die a lot. 5) It can be frustrating to play if you're not in an organized group like a squad or outfit. There are many squads and outfits out there. Go join one and see why. Way more fun to cooperate and get tactical. 6) You will die a lot. 7) The maps really are HUGE. It can take a while to get place to place unless you hitch a ride or drive yourself somewhere. 8) You will die a lot. Hopefully you're used to that by now. Don't let it bother you. You won't be an elite spec ops pro soldier on day one.

tl;dr

Get it. Play it. It's free. Don't get frustrated by dying a lot.
  68. Jan 24, 2013
    I'm a veteran FPS'er and have enjoyed several MMO's, and though it's not the first of its kind, PlanetSide 2 is by far the best MMOFPS I've ever played. I'm hooked and know I will enjoy this for a very long time. Free. Beautiful. Stable. Active population. Great mechanics/physics.

Give it a chance. Ignore the learning curve. Join a big platoon with a headset (and listen to the squad
    leaders). Drive some vehicles. Shoot some guns. Take it in. Epic battles await.

Only suggestion would be a little more social interaction and maybe out-of-combat activities (skills, crafting, etc.). That would just grow the user base that much more. But even without, this game is great.
  69. Jan 25, 2013
    The scale of the game and the sheer excitement of being in an epic battle will have you smiling ear to ear. Fantastic game, great graphics and well balanced. Way more fun if you are playing with friends though and my only gripe is that I played it about 15-20 hours and felt a bit burnt out after and have yet to go back to it. Its F2P though so it honestly deserves a chance from everyone who enjoys shooters. Expand
  70. Feb 14, 2013
    Planetside 2 is one of the more enjoyable multiplayer FPS games I have spent time in. Better than Blackops 2 in many respects. The combat is solid and I feel competitive even against veteran players. I do die a lot, but I get killed repeatedly in every FPS game I play. The land mass is huge and I have a lot of fun flying, riding vehicles, or just running between capture points. The game excels when a epic battle occurs. I have had some spectacular battle scenes containing seemingly hundreds of people fighting to capture a point. Of course, there are flaws. You die fast and it can take a significant amount of time to level. However, the negatives are very similar to those in Blackops or Modern Warfare in general (fast death, re-spawns, lack of real objective other than leveling, unlocks can take a lot of patience). The game has a cash shop which is a plus and a minus (you can get just about everything free if you are patient enough). I liked the game enough to purchase in game currency for a few appearance items, and a experience buff. Overall, I think the huge world, vehicles, and large scale multiplayer set the game apart from the competition. Expand
  71. Jan 27, 2013
    This game is amazing. I've never played a game that would allow such dynamic and explosive battles. If you've played battlefield 3, this game will feel like a extended futuristic version with much more guns, vehicles, and players. Although I should mention that Planetside 2 can be very frustrating to people that can't deal with being out manned or outgunned. Planetside 2 isn't about fairness, but about strengths and weaknesses: classes/vehicles often specialize against a certain type of enemy. This means that squads of players have to use their different classes to work together in order to fight the various types of enemies. This forces players to have to switch their vehicle/class to meet the situation at hand. Also, because the maps are contentment sized, the disbursement of enemies are never equal and you can find yourself outnumbered 10-1 in one area, but find no enemies in other areas. Fortunately the spawning system makes it easy to re-spawn near by or at another battle on the other side of the continent, making it easy to find a good fight. The best part of the game is the hardcore community of players that play the game like it's a sport. Everything in the game is player fueled, meaning that objectives are created with purpose and a human intelligence behind it. You can easily find how a squad of 12 can change the tide of battle between hundreds. Expand
  72. Jan 28, 2013
    this game is so fun, i must say that saying this is not a pay to win game is pushing it for vehicles but infantry you don't need to pay. the scale of battles is unmatched by other games. playing alone is not the best you will need to get into an outfit or have a couple of friends in a squad to feel like you have a massive impact in the game. most bugs have been fix and i don't see many hacker has most people say there is. it has the worst tutorial i have seen has you are throw into the battle field. you will need to have a really good computer to run this on high with no fps drop. but through all the bad this is a good game. Expand
  73. Feb 14, 2013
    Downloaded the game today, HOLY it was awesome, massive battles, air, sea, land everything!, this game is like a dream, it's so epic, it's what games should be like. AND FOR FREE!!!
  74. Feb 4, 2013
    If you have someone to play this with or a group of people than its one of the most enjoyable games, however if your caught alone game-play gets a bit repetitive. On a side note there's no real tutorial or way to learn the game, unless you have a friend that plays it. It basically forces you to use vehicles outside the bases because of all the tanks that normally roam around.
  75. Feb 7, 2013
    The negative reviews I'm seeing are quite agitating, because most of them are negative reviews about those people sucking at the game. It's not the games fault you suck at an FPS. Just sayin'. The learning curve, is being fixed, they are creating a tutorial area, if you took the time to read the forums instead of complaining, you'd know that. This game, is unlike any other. I mean that, there simply is NO game like this one. I have yet to run into any serious glitches that made game-play debilitating, the worst ones I saw were in Beta, but they weren't even that bad. You could get into other teams warpgates, but by that time players were invincible in warpgates. So no harm done. I'm able to play this game on max settings with a decent FPS on a laptop, fairly impressive if I may say so. Now, on another note, the developers, have done nothing but RESPOND to the community, and give them EXACTLY what they want. Seriously. They go through the popular threads, and see what people want, and give them that. How bad can a game be if that's what the devs are doing? I have no lag issues. Bugs that are discovered by others are usually fixed right away. Servers go down at a reasonable time to do so. People keep saying this is like any other FPS, class wise. Which honestly, no, it's not. The certification system is pretty unique. And what really makes this game unique, is the actual point of the game. Massive battles. And by massive I mean massive. Hundreds of players, three factions, fighting at one place. Those are the battles that make your heart pound and get you all excited. It creates this in-depth atmosphere personified by your brethren all around you, and allows for this truly unique combat experience. The game, isn't that complicated. A circle with a vehicle in it pops up on your screen when you're in a base, go to the vehicle, that's where you get vehicles. My pet monkey could figure this out. It's truly not this complicated. It's sad to see the new gaming generation. You know, it's normal in most games to have a learning curve, for it to take a few times of playing to understand. Not everything is Call of Duty, extremely linear and simple. I mean come on. Expand
  76. Feb 8, 2013
    MMO/FPS Planetside gets you in never ending war between three factions. You must choose your factioand server n in the begining and you cant swich sides as you could i Battlefield. Game is free to play, which means oh yes you guess it, mictrotransactions. This game is simply pay to win, sometimes less, sometimes more but you have to accept it. Your character gains experience for killing, capturing bases, assist kills, healing, repairing etc. With experience you level up and gain certification points that unlocks you better abilities (better armor, more ammo, grenades, faster repair etc). But you will gain them pretty slowly, you will spend alot of time with basic equpment (if you dont want to buy them for and you will be crushed by players who does spend Your player skill means nothing when you meet enemy with top-notch equipment, he will hammers you with his worth equipment. If you are tough and endure this, you can offcourse get the same equipment without spending but it will be a realy hard work when you will spend more time on the deploy map when in the game. This counts not only for infantry, but also for aircraft and tanks. There are squads you can join, but mostly not cooperating together, or you can join a guild its called outfit here) But you have to be lucky that first thing you ever hear from your outfit leader wont be "spend some god damn dollars on equipment or go away" But the game itself is solid, often patched, player base is strong, servers are stable, atmosphere of the battle is awesome, graphics is awesome so the game is silod experince for every FPS player. Expand
  77. Feb 8, 2013
    I played the original Ps1 for many hours and found this game to be very enjoyable. PS2 doesn’t yet quite live up to the standards I had hoped for the sequel, its just a core game at the moment with all the extra parts needed in the metagame missing. However this is a rolling development game with developers taking on board players preferences and they have a monthly plan for updates. A lot more to be added within 6months.

It's a steep learning curve, expect to die a lot and be adaptable or you will find yourself frustrated! Not everything is just handed to you on a plate like other mindless FPS games and you will need to team up with an outfit to get the most from this game.

The game requires a good PC preferably using an I5 Nvida 560ti and above min for medium/high settings.

Once you take part in some of the larger 3 way battles between factions, it’s hard to stop playing it becomes addictive you actually feel immersed in the combat.
  78. Feb 11, 2013
    This game, Planetside 2 is hands down the best free to play game I have ever played. It is an amazingly huge game with astonishingly large landmasses and varied lands and environments to wage all out intense, thrilling, and immersing war in. You can play as one of three factions all with their own quirks. The game play has a lot of depth, and it may take a while to get used to. You can take control of many different kinds of vehicles. From light and agile air crafts to strong and bulky tanks. There are three continents you will wage war over, with a total of two thousand soldiers on a server. There are no matches or loading screens, how power fluctuates is dependent on how well your team fights. Oh, did I mention the graphics for this game are simply amazing? If you're skeptical, you should just download and try this gem. It is free to play so you have nothing to lose. Beware of the learning curve though. The game takes getting used to, so I suggest looking up some tutorials on Youtube. Expand
  79. Feb 11, 2013
    Decent game for a Free FPS.

The good:
    FREE
    Decent class balance
    Small and large battle can be really fun
    Tactics and team work over brute force. (for the most part)

The bad:
    A little on the slow side.
    learning curve for new players (go watch a bunch of youtube vids before starting)
  80. Feb 15, 2013
    Completely fantastic and satisfying experience. In FPS games I tend to die a lot. My kill/death ratio is most often near the bottom or smack dab in last place usually. Planetside 2 manages to not make me feel bad about that fact. It's about the team, the push, the rush and every death you experience feels like a few feet gained for your team towards whatever the goal is. Feeling like a contributor is what sets this game apart and keeps me sitting there for hours at a time hooting and cheering at the screen when a ship comes tumbling out of the sky in flaming pieces. Great fun. Expand
  81. Feb 16, 2013
    Planetside 2 is a really good simulation of a massive multiplayer war that just never ends although there are some things that do need fixing. The first major issue is the lack of a tutorial, it's just a 2-3 minute video and then the game just drops you right in the middle of the fight before you can change any of your settings for try to figure out what's happening. Second issue is that you unlock certification points really slowly and it's pretty much pay to win. But the gameplay makes up for all of the games flaws. Planetside 2 is worth playing and it's absolutely free. 8/10 Expand
  82. Feb 18, 2013
    I just dont understand why someone would give this a negative rating, besides being mad because their pc cant run the game half-decently or because they're jealous cod players.
  83. Feb 18, 2013
    i writed a long page but managed to delet it :(
    but this is the best online multiplayer shooter mmo coop game in all time and its F2P. and no its not a P2W cuz you start with one of the best weapons! have never felt like "oh my god i die cuz they had bether gun" thats just and you cant buy sights for you weapon or uppgrades to your char with SC youneed to earn it ingame. this gets
    98/100 it could be easier to get the in game cash, But SOE said they will make it easier. So 100/100 if they fix that! You got every thing to win if you try this out! Expand
  84. Feb 21, 2013
    An absolutely great game, that still has its problems. Weapons cost incredibly much, damage of standard weapons are ridiculously low, way too much snipers, population issues on servers and performance problems. BUT the devs put a lot of effort into working together with the players and every update increases the game experience a lot. When all issues will be removed (and I believe in the game to get there) it'll definitely be a 10/10. Expand
  85. Jun 7, 2014
    I need to start this review informing you that I HATE free to play games.

But, this is the only one other than league of legends that I find somewhat fair in their model. - My only gripe about this game is when they release a new weapon.. they make it super awesome so everyone buys it.. then after a week and the sales start to slow down.. NERF! .. ask anyone when the shotgun first came
    out compared to now.. or the phoenix rocket launcher.

For the game play, 10/10... Love it!

Battles are legendary! The sheer size and scale of the armies that siege your fortress or bio-lab are amazing!

Guns are pretty balanced and each faction has unique art styles and few play styles that differentiate them for the others.

I like the pace of combat way more than COD and battlefield and the system of how you can upgrade your gear is a nice touch.

overall, I will be playing this game for many years to come.
  86. Jul 3, 2013
    I love this game. I have been playing for about 3-4 months now. I have become a subscriber, and joined the SturmGrenadier outfit for the Mattherson Server.

If you want to have fun, join an Outfit! This game can be very hard and overwhelming for newcomers. Once you get through the growing pains, this game provides you with moments no other comes close to.

It's as if Halo met
    Battlefield with 2000 people. Simply amazing. Expand
  87. Xel
    Mar 5, 2013
    This needs to be made clear to everyone up front, this game is not a solo COD style of FPS... if you want infantry based COD go play COD otherwise welcome to Planetside were massive ground and air vehicle battles take place that require team work and communication. This is a MMOFPS that like practically EVERY MMO out there will require to your grind your character's weapons and upgrades. If you don't want to do that don't play it. It is clearly not pay to win as the less informed seem to write since everyone cane unlock the exact same weapons. It is pay to not grind. Game updates and patches are being released on a weekly basis to fix issues and add content on a regular basis. This game is also played on a large scale with lots of vehicles, team play and coordination if you are not interested in those things you are going to have a bad time (like I said if you want solo COD style of play this game is not for you). Expand
  88. Jul 18, 2013
    Planetside 2 is what I as a shooter and wargame lover has been dreaming about since childhood. If you were one of those who played the first battlefield 1942 and got blown away by the scale of the conflict prepare to be so again. With a persistent battle going on 24/7 across 3 different continents (maps) each sporting an area over 64 square kilometers in size, with up to 2000 simultaneous players going at each other this is insane! And in the first game I have played where actual organization of soldiers take place become part of a greater battle for control over the planet. It is a true combined arms game where you can run as many classes of infantry, pilot aircraft or a multitude of ground vehicles. Just plain epic.

I have been playing this game since it came out and I't still going strong.

PS. If you want to join a good EU outfit (ingame clan) hit up Trident on the Cobalt server playing for the Vanu Sovreignty faction.
  89. Mar 26, 2013
    Purely idiotic game design. As you spawn into the game, you have no idea what you are doing. Distinguishing enemies from friendlies is a pain in the ass (some classes had similar body colours as the enemy team). And the best thing ever your weapons get if you accidentally shoot some idiot on your team. The only reason this cesspool of a game exists is because it is "free".
  90. Mar 27, 2013
    Hands down, the best Online FPS around. All the negative user feedback can be attributed to the fact that, in the beginning, its a little hard to understand how things work, but watch this video "http://youtu.be/Tx_xeRFlNTA" (about the basics of navigating the world), and you'll be prepared to have a lot of fun. Great game, and the way Free-2-Play games are supposed to be made
  91. Mar 30, 2013
    Many people complain about this game's lack of fair balance or that it feels rushed to them. I'm sorry, but did you expect this to be a CoD game? And as for the learning curve, this is war for crying out loud, not a training camp! They do have tutorial videos linked in the game's launcher, and yes, the learning curve needs fixing, but then again, it's a bit better than going through yet another hand-holding, navi-esque tutorial isn't it? Planetside 2's 2 main blessings are it's adaptability and the teamwork the game encourages. Since it's not a box release, few can realistically expect that the game would be perfect right from the start. If a problem arises or a bug is discovered, it gets fixed in the next update. Teamwork is EVERYTHING in this game, you should never expect to succeed as a lone-wolf unless you play as an infiltrator and know when to fight and when to not. No one person can single-handedly change the tide of a battle or the war, you are always working with other players to accomplish a goal.

The game itself, isn't exactly pay-to-play, everything is available for purchase with in-game currency, and all of the things that can only be bought with real money are just for looks. Admittedly, you do need to pour a lot of certs into your empire's fighter to get it to it's full potential, but like I said, everything is free: you just have to save up the certs you've earned.

Pretty much the only things you can buy with money in the game that actually gives you any advantage are weapons; everything that gives you a basic edge over everything you encounter (better armor for example) can only be purchased by using the in-game currency.

and on the note of the cert grind, how would you like it if EVERYONE in the game had the best weapons and upgrades after playing for a short amount of time? it'd get bland fast: there would be nothing to look forward to getting.

And face it: in every game you start playing, there WILL be players that are better than you that have been playing longer than you and will pwn you at first

SOE has added a virtual-reality training area that allows you to try out EVERYTHING that you could possibly want, and since all of the weapons are unlocked while you are in the training area, you can just click on the "compare stats" box and have no more need for looking through wiki pages. If all else fails, you can give a gun or an upgrade to one of your vehicles a test run. In conclusion, Planetside 2 may have it's flaws (who/ what doesn't?), but it's sheer scale and readiness to fix any problems that it's players find more than make up for them
  92. Apr 7, 2013
    When I first started playing this game I actually enjoyed it. However, I started quite late and after a while I started to find this one of the most frustrating and unfair first person shooters I have ever played. New players are thrown into a battle as a level 1 and are mostly against lever 20s, not to mention the countless level 40s and even level 70s. They have much better weapons than you and even if you get the first shot you can almost bet your life that if they start shooting back its over. They also have better armour. The snipers in this game are ridiculous, yielding very powerful semi-automatics at a higher level. Eventually I found myself aiming to get one kill for every spawn in a battle because it was inevitable that either I will get shot to pieces by an experienced player or picked off instantly by a sniper.

Even if you're good at first person shooters don't expect that you will do just as well in this game. I guarantee that when you experience your first battle you'll be instantly killed with a few shots from a more experienced player with a much better gun than you. I stopped playing after I realised I was only re-spawning to be killed again. This game is unfair, unrewarding, frustrating and simply not fun. As other people have said, it's just a complete mess.
  93. Apr 18, 2013
    I'd honestly give it an 8 but I'm only giving it a 10 due to the nonsensical 0 ratings here. I was never a fan of FPS although I've tried Battlefield and Call of Duty series for an extended period of time. Planetside 2 is the most epic fun I have had since World of Warcraft: Burning Crusade. I have been addicted to Diablo 3 with the expectation of an epic gaming journey, but soon realized that it was a failure to begin with. The game was difficult to learn, but after about a month, I was hooked. Planetside 2 has definite negatives: occasional server lag, and poor optimization. I had to buy a brand new computer just to play this game on maximum settings. Hackers are always looming around annoying loyal members, but I can tell SOE is doing their best to keep fixing and improving. The game itself is an awesome masterpiece with a good outlook for a long time to come. Expand
  94. Jun 5, 2013
    I've played this game for almost 200 hours now. It is extremely hard to get past the learning curve. It will take you hours, but it's worth it. The vehicles will be worthless to you in combat unless you shell out some money or spend a serious amount of time playing as infantry. There's no story to be found besides the blue and purple guys are stupid and have to die. You have to be a serious player (border-line addicted) to get any sort of progression. There are several balance issues.

All of that being said, it's insanely fun to get into a platoon and follow them around capturing bases and fighting in the large-scale battles. I can spend hours playing, and I do. If you want to engage in gigantic seamless battles as an infantry-man, a sniper, a supporting class (medic and engineer), a tank operator, a part of a gun-ship crew, or a fighter pilot, this is the game for you. Despite all of the negative aspects of the game, I 100% recommend it to everyone to check it out (it is free) and give it some time.
  95. Apr 28, 2013
    This is a very fun sometimes fast paced sometimes slow paced game. I'm giving it a ten to help counter the balance of a hater or two I see that give it little to no credit. Yes the game is essential a beta, but a well done beta and lets be honest how many "beta" testers hate losing their progress when the official game launches? There's a niche for a lot of people from support to piloting and just plain up front fighting. I did play the original Planetside and although I don't feel it's leaps and bounds better than that game it has a lot of the core elements that can be tweaked over time like all games. It's free so play on. Expand
  96. Apr 29, 2013
    I've played this game since release, and there have been many improvements since launch. I've got over 600 hours in, at BR82, with a good sampling of all the factions.

The new player experience has been streamlined significantly. Players can expect to end up in a friendly spawn at a large battle to start things out. The addition of a virtual reality training area, in which all items and
    all attachments can be trialed, is a huge benefit to old and new players you no longer have to guess at how effective an item will be. The VR area also includes vehicles, and all attachments now as well. I feel much more comfortable introducing new players to the game now, as opposed to release.

The action itself has benefited from many recent additions as well. There is now an 'alert system' which gives all the players on a server a territory objective, specific to one of the continents. The expansion of this system will lend itself to more of an 'objective-based' feel as more content is added.

The combat will feel familiar to those who have played Battlefield 3, or the original Planetside. Infantry play forms the core of the Planetside 2 experience during base battles, while vehicle play is most of the non-base combat. Infantry engagements are fairly short-ranged, the only notable exceptions being snipers in open areas, and the New Conglomerate being able to use longer-range infantry weaponry.

The game still has flaws; there are some frustrating mechanics in the form of one-hit kill weapons: shotguns, high explosive tank shells, and high explosive liberator shelling. The devs, however, have been responsive to balancing these issues for a better experience.

Overall, I'd recommend this game to any first person shooter fans who want to experience combat on a huge scale often in the area of 96 versus 96, or more.
  97. Apr 30, 2013
    This game is huge and I found myself immersed in a epic struggle for the domain of territory like I never seen If you like a massive competitive war for the domain of territory this is your game the only down side to it would be that it can get quite frustrating to play alone but so long as you have a group of friends to fight beside you you will have a great time
  98. May 1, 2013
    As for me this game is very fun. After MAG on PS3 I'm looking for a similar game. And I found it. I was really impressed by this game. Someone tells that is bad game, because it compel you to think. If you like to play COD, and don't like to think in game pass by. Others welcome!
  99. May 4, 2013
    Complete turn off for new users in it's current state. I'm not a fan of lame tutorials, but the very minimum one needs for a new game is to check the controls and get some orientation. Every time I spawned and tried to do anything meaningful, I was killed by assorted heavy machinery within seconds. It also felt pretty random compared to PS1 HE fire from all directions don't leave the grunt many choices, especially not one whose experience spans seconds.

Getting rid of certs and allowing instant class switching almost makes it seem like PS2 was intended to be more of an Unreal Tournament than the strategic shooter the first game was.

As a PS1 CR4 I think I will skip this mess.
  100. May 21, 2013
    Let me preface this review by saying that I've been playing this game since the beta stage.
    The game is amusing, but highly overrated. It's fun for a bit and then you realize that you've accomplished absolutely nothing and you've been killed every 30 seconds by someone who has everything upgraded for their character. Even when you manage to take an entire section of the map you rarely
    have a sense of achievement.
    The maps are huge and pretty, but spawn points are obnoxiously far away which results in lots of time spent traveling from place to place. God-forbid anyone kill you along the way because then you'll have to start over.
    Weapons are insanely imabalanced, the Vanu's guns are about as strong as marshmallow shooters compared to the other two factions' weapons. Anyone who can gain a few points (which isn't hard at all) can then get a MAX suit or a tank, which are super overpowered for their prices. It varies depending on the time and server, but the New Conglomerate usually have way more people playing at once than the other two factions do.
    The game shows absolutely no mercy towards new players, you're thrown in with everyone else on the server and usually end up with the short end of the stick in every fight. There is no place for newer, underequipped players to go and work their way up to play with the higher leveled players. Newbies are dropped in the middle with everyone else.PS2 doesn't count running someone over as a teamkill, so trolls will often do that resulting in a "suicide" for you which has a longer respawn counter than usual.
    Lastly, the game is pretty but poorly optimized at the moment.; very buggy with its fair share of glitches. I've got a decent gaming rig: quad core CPU 3.4Ghz, 8GB RAM, & Geforce GTX 550Ti and I can't play the game smoothly unless everything is off or on low with a reduced render distance and 0% render quality.

Tl;dr Game is overrated, surprisingly imbalanced, NC are the zerg, noobs are doomed, glitches ahoy!
  101. Dec 30, 2012
    this game is a total 10 out of 10 if you play the game as its intended.

Man if you