7.0

1. Mar 27, 2014
    I sincerely hope this game is a joke. The lack of balance here is ridiculous, and the free to play model here is so pay-to-win that it's fairly impossible to win without a significant amount of players who have payed for the game. In fact, it's difficult to win without a decent amount of people on your team at all. The game is a total steamroll, and a luck based one at that, for the amount of players on your team is totally random. The lack of killcam promotes camping, and there's no strategy required once you've found a corner to spam from. The entire game feels unfinished and soulless, only play this if you're a call of duty fan with no regard for well-crafted game design. Expand
  2. Mar 26, 2014
    >Frustrating and not fun describes my initial reaction to this game This guy said it best in his review bi0mech81 Frustrating and not fun describes my initial reaction to this game. First and foremost is the learning curve. from the start you spawn in the middle of a fight with nothing telling you what your objectives are, or even where your teammates are. Should you be unfortunate enough to spawn in the middle of a tank fight (as was my first experience) you feel helpless as you die, respawn, and die again as soon as you respawn. An in-game "Newbie" area, some kind of zone where you go only when you first start a character would be greatly appreciated as throughout my first hour of gameplay I was consistantly pitted against players of level 38 or higher. The extremely large playing area makes snipers and tanks gods on the ground. I have not been able to fly any of the aircraft, yet because everytime I spawn an air vehicle it is destroyed immediately. I'm not an avid FPS player by any stretch of the means- I grew up on Doom, Quake, and UT, and I manage about a 1:1 Kill to death ratio in CoD, and tend to play support roles in TF2. On average I have 2 kills and over 50 deaths in planet side due to spawn camping. spawning at a point that is distant from the battle just means I get to run for 10 minutes to die from a sniper that I can't see. Playing a supporting role in PS2 is down right rage-inducing. Healing a friendly player may or may not reward XP, and unlike TF2, you cannot heal a heavy to keep them up while they sustain gunfire. Reviving fallen players is fairly pointless unless they died less than 2 seconds in front of you. The Engineer's turret is too inaccurate for the distances at which forces are regularly engaged in. The tanks are done well- and in many cases are over-powered. many of the bases are designed so you can just snipe away at the enemy generator with your tank and destroy it without worry of being engaged by the defenders. Running over your own teammates results in a suicide for them, and no penalty for yourself- great if you just want to troll your own team, as is often the case. What this game direly needs is level segregation of some form- whether it's designated levels for zones where as you out level the zone you do less damage, or you cannot respawn into a zone you are out leveled for, something needs to give a new player some fudge-factor to learn how the game works besides dropping you straight into a fight that you are grossly under leveled for.

I completely agree with everything he said, it's like he was reading my mind.

Uninstalled after 2 hours of playing and I was even with my brother which should have helped the overall fun factor.
    >overrated
    >walking simulator
    >friendly fire
    >poor balance
    >no level separation
  3. Mar 16, 2014
    Alright so this is the garbage that can be produced by 30+ million dollars, the game seemed to look decent at best but it seems these developers are absolutely clueless on how to make a proper game its been over a year and literally all they have to show for it is a bunch of generic or op weapons that a player whom has brain damage could use. To top it off its networking code is horrendously bad and they seem to want to buy the cheapest possible servers and think they can get away with it. Instead of doing any real content to maps the edit old ones since they seem completely incompetent towards making a new map. I wouldn't recommend this game to anyone but my 6 year old son but oh wait he doesn't even like it because he knows its no better than a glorified tdm, and he actually would prefer to play cod since he can even tell that its networking code is better. Expand
  4. Feb 27, 2014
    It's a great game in all but they love to screw over their customs as much as possible few nerfing weapons and to deleting times/remaking it with a different features. So I am not very happy on how the deal with customer loyalty.
  5. Feb 23, 2014
    Heard about this from a friend. 'Yeah its more fun if you have some friends to play with.' he said. Little did I know how right he was. If there's one thing I've learned over the years its that the phrase "If its too good to be true, it probably is." and this phrase fits PlanetSide 2 PERFECTLY. Most of the information on the official website is half lies, outdated information, or flat out lies.

For example:

"PlanetSide 2 features incredible continent maps with dozens of square kilometers of seamless gameplay space; every inch of which is hand-crafted, contestable space. With the territorial control meta-game, landmass has intrinsic value."

The continents' layouts are about as bland as can be. Yet another victim of "symmetry = balance" as if planets are supposedly symmetrical in nature. In reality its more of copy pasted a third of a continent then rotated and add some unique name. Literally. The same mountain you just past there's another two more somewhere. They honestly thought that because of the size you wouldn't notice it. Its noticeable. Most of the special points (such as biolabs or domes or whatever they call it) are exactly the same as they are on other continents. Just a different tileset. Then there's the 'massive' part of the game. It states there can be up to 1000's of players in a battle. Remember: the players are spread out over these large continents. So the actual saturation of players is fairly low except at one or two points.

"...PlanetSide 2 battles can last for days or even weeks, and finally taking control of the base means it's yours until someone can take it back. Working strategically as a team to capture key tactical positions such as power plants and ammo depots have long-lasting effects that can shift the tide of battle. Victory requires strategic teamwork and a quick trigger finger to survive the massive battles."

Do they mean the war for the continent or the battle for a territory? The territorial battles could last anywhere from about 3 minutes (its just you sitting around waiting praying some resistance) to a couple of hours (very rare). The amp stations (power plants), bio-domes and tank factories (I forget their names) don't do as much as the site makes you want to believe. The only incentive you have to capturing these are: 1.) you get more experience for capturing it. 2.) Each of these special points gives you a mediocre bonus: the bio-domes add a really minor regeneration to your health, the tank factories allow you to acquire main battle tanks outside of your warpgate and the amp stations increase the time it takes for a turret to overheat by about 1 second or so (when if you pause for a couple of seconds just before you overheat you'll be fine). I believe they don't even stack.

Then we have the supposed 'victory'.

So after running around capping one point after another for some experience and certs, you get the continent capped. Victory right? Wrong. You don't even get a message let alone any sort of reward. There's absolutely no reason why you should hold a point or cap a point except for experience for capping it. The only thing you get for completely capturing a continent is a puny cost decrease to aircraft, infantry stuff, or vehicles (a whole 10% or 15%!). That's it. Not even an anti-climatic "your empire has captured the continent of ___." No experience reward, no congratulations, no climatic battle. Then as soon as you leave the enemy empire you now warpgated just captures the territory back.

What they don't tell you:

- It takes you an absurdly long time to get any of the 1000 cert weapons (upwards of 1 month) without paying for a subscription. Once you hit battle about rank 37, it takes literally ages to get to the next rank without a subscription.

- The guns are absurdly overpriced (normal guns are about (US)$5.75 (or is it 7.50) for a 500 or 250 cert one and ~$10.00 for a 1000 cert one. Then for the golden guns they're $20.00 or so. Remember: 100 SC = $1.00.

- Everyone says its "Not pay-to-win" they are correct in one way: you pay, but you can't win (there's no victory objectives outside of capture a point move on to the next). You start off horribly ill equipped compared to people who've been playing and need months to get better equipped.

- It is horribly optimised. Expect frame rates of less than 15 in big battles or even moderate battles with anything less than a mid-range PC.

- You WILL be killed every 10 or so deaths by an infiltrator with an SMG that decloaks behind you and kills you in about 3.2 seconds.

- You CAN/WILL be sniped by an enemy you cant even render!

-- The verdict --
    The fun really dies out after you screw around for a little while then only becomes fun with friends. Just don't expect to meet many here. The community is full of trolls and immature kids (LOTS of 10yr olds).

NOTICE:
    Player experience will vary greatly. Try it yourself. Just don't spend a dime until you know you like it and will play it for a long time.
  6. Feb 11, 2014
    I've been waiting for a stellar MMOFPS title. A friend recommended I give Planetside 2 a try, and try it I did. Planetside 2 is massive, as the genre classification would suggest, and offers tons of places to go. But the glaring problem is that PS2 is completely aimless, cheap, and at times ugly in its presentation. There is little rhyme or reason to what you're doing. There is next to zero help in getting started. There are several vehicles which are somewhat appealing but anything in the air is tough to control and requires an insanely high level of precision and mastery to be effective with. PS2 is perhaps the worst FPS experience for newcomers on the market. The graphics always look like they're stuck in beta builds no matter how powerful your graphics card is. I constantly wished for more cohesion amongst players and objectives but was constantly disappointed. The freedom aspect is a nice IDEA that is entirely left undeveloped. If you wish to do anything in this game, you MUST go where the hordes are. Taking bases can be fun but there's a heavy amount of patience required whether you're on offense or defense. PS2 made me long for Guild Wars 2's World vs World PVP, which I felt was a bit too massive and tough to work with. There is a pillar or two upon which Planetside 2 can stand on. It's a free to play game so there's no such thing as a waste of money, only time (but time is money, right?). There is some variation to play styles and classes and, when you finally do get the hang of the game after numerous hours and a terrible learning curve, there is some intense fun that can be had. But the fun is fleeting - coming and going almost in an instant. The best moments tend to be when a smaller pocket of resistance is met where you aren't potentially being targeted by 400 enemies. MMOFPS is a genre that is guaranteed to work, but titles like Destiny or The Division, which are on their way for PCs and consoles in 2014, find better balances and won't force you to constantly play with complete strangers or unorganized factions/guilds. If Planetside 2 could offer some good fun away from the large battles, maybe there would be something special here. But nothing is special, beautiful, reasonable or interesting about Planetside 2. Unless Sony completely overhauls a future title and I receive credible word about this franchise evolving into a complete game experience, I won't even bother with a free-to-play Planetside 3 and beyond. Expand
  7. Jan 25, 2014
    You can easily feel the hate in this game. Hate flows through Planetside 2's community. When you jump out of a "plane" that is going to be blown up and live, your earlier pursuers will find you and blow you up with rockets. Most weapons are really inaccurate. Graphics and shadows suck. Don't play this game, it'll just make you frustrated and sad.
  8. Jan 18, 2014
    Good premise, and false promises.

The game is only starting to deliver one year after launch, but expect it to be open beta until at least mid 2014, until then you can still have simple-minded fun on the biggest team deathmatch ever made.
  9. Dec 30, 2013
    Game is riddled with bugs and balance issues, the community is infested with trolls and ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥s and the amount of time you have to sink in till you have gear to compete with the rest of the players in the game is huge.
    The game is more about being fair then accuracy. Small arms fire can destroy a tank in a few seconds and aircraft in even less time. They have these wonderfully high end
    weapons that you can purchase with real money and when you get them into the game they unmodifiable compared to their counterparts as to be obsolete immediately. To keep things real fair anything you spent hard cash and not game certs on has little to no ability to hit most targets unless they are conveniently standing still. An assault rifle has better effective range and does more damage then a sniper rifle of the same type with a a better scope. The effective rang of most of your weapons is close range or beyond what the games render distance will allow you to see, and there fore lock onto and hit. This does not stop players who use (supposedly illegal and banned) add ons to hit you beyond ranges you can effectively return the favor. There is no combat and tactics just the almighty zerg push. One side gets enough players together and rolls over anything in their way.
    Until they redesign the unlock progress for weapons, fix a lot of major bugs that cause crashes or other frustrating issues and finally fix the balance problems between the 3 empires. than it's worth trying out till than ignore the game, don't let it suck you in so you don't end up being surrounded by and trolls all day. For what is supposed to be a future based game many of the game toys and tools are amazingly primitive and difficult to use

I only play the game because there's nothing else to play, every other Multilayer game I ahve tried multiple times is somehow even worse and even more boring than Planet side 2, i guess that's the only good thing i have to say about PS2, it's at least not as bad as Battlefield,Call Of Duty or the new horrible Team Fortress 2 aka Hat Fortress 2 called nowadays.
  10. Dec 22, 2013
    Alright so where to start I'm an avid gamer and I gotta say planetside 2 I am a shamed to say I put a sum of money(200$+) and 1 year and almost 1 month later all I have to see for it is this -tons generic guns -Low to no skill gameplay -1 new vehicle -a engine -massive amount of flaws and bugs SOE really messed up and I really hope if you read this you don't put money into that terrible game. Expand
  11. Dec 18, 2013
    The game started off fantastic but like any SOE game, SOE's habit of ruining a good thing through updates has happened once more. Balance is horrid, updates are nearly always lopsided adding almost absurd advantages/disadvantages for factions, vehicles or weaponry.

While that's to be expected perhaps with any SOE game, given that the game relies on a certification point system that is
    earned over time, it's infuriating to spend your precious certs on items, vehicles or classes only to have those choices irrevocably nerfed or broken without any way to get a refund on the certification points you spent.

The ability to refund/re-certify has been on their development plan for far over a year at this point but continues to be pushed off while huge, untested and bug-ridden patches are put out in odd succession.

Let alone that the game itself has 3 continents, each in a different stage of development making the game lopsided and uneven, the game suffers horribly from a fourth faction issue (where you can make alts for each faction and swap immediately to whatever faction is winning) has been a known issue since launch and unfixed despite that it makes the game a contest of who can swap to the winning side first.

Avoid at all costs. The game is now in a stale development cycle as SOE looks to launch it on PS4 and the latest update (PU2) has once again brought the servers down for the last 2-3 days.
  12. Nov 29, 2013
    I played this game for over a year, I've seen it's ups and downs, it's failures and successes. Let me tell you that I had some truly epic moments that immersed me in the world and that I will remember forever. But that's not the kind of thing the game promotes, you see, SOE has a very unclear goal for this game. It started of as a game that seemed to take itself pretty seriously, there were clearly defined factions, lots of robust lore, and it at least made an attempt to immerse the player in it's world.

Since then Planetside 2 has been on a downward spiral. with SOE needing more funding they turned to sillier and sillier ways of milking people for money. It started off fairly tame, a couple hockey masks and a skull mask as cosmetics. But it just kept going and going, eventually ending at to the point where it is today. There are ridiculous camo options ranging from palm tree to zebra stripes, there are fireworks launchers, evil laugh horns, confetti C4, MLG decals, overt promotions, etc.

Don't expect to get immersed enough to enjoy the game after the novelty of big battles wears off and reveals the abhorrent money grubbing underneath.
  13. Nov 14, 2013
    Often a 1v1 close encounter will result in whoever gets a head-shot or who is a Vanu. If you use aim-down sights, your strafing ability is wrecked (even with the guns which only cut it by 50%), if you use hip fire you'll probably be lucky to get a head-shot which gives you an annoying choice where one is rarely better than the other and you regret not doing it the other way. No sniping would encourage more infantry since sniping is the reason why you wouldn't play infantry at all. No headshots and you could keep sniping because then you couldn't pin down any inferior number of infantry. Knifing is awesome though. This game is totally the opposite of traditional FPS and it's such a shame because without all the modern features and mechanics it would be amazing. Sometimes it's obvious you should play World of Tanks/Planes when you actually want to play infantry other than Infiltrator. Vehicle and air play is really good but if you're not into it, you'll really tire of waiting to invade the enemy base only to find they give up really fast and you sit around for 3-10 minutes for capture because you cannot move on to take the next base. Stealth-killing is risky but it doesn't really suit this game since it is very anti-rush and there should be power in numbers and should not reward luck. Cloak is easy to spot and triggering it on/off is very audible. Any class can be stealthy but with a lot of open areas and places to snipe, sometimes the game becomes incredibly frustrating. Engineers have to be vulnerable to repair vehicles which doesn't really make sense when you're using a damn gun to repair stuff, a lot of fights are just explosives blowing up everything and driving back to try and push towards the enemy base. The choice of armors is pretty much either reduced bullet damage or reduced explosive damage, but even with flak armor, you can get 1 shot by rockets fired by infantry (it's still useful though (just not much)). Nanoweave is a necessity if you're interested in close/mid-range infantry combat. Often a nade/c4 or air fire will likely result in you being useless anyway. Sadly the game is not very well optimized and has some crash problems. Then there's the issue where you cannot pre-load areas you are going to deploy to which means less action! Instant action sometimes doesn't work and honestly there is zero sense to this feature since drop podding into an enemy base and pod-crashing air units is very unfair. By the way I can fly a plane into another one and mine will blow up while the other continues on it's merry way with no damage taken. Instant action is for solo players and PS2 is NOT for solo gamers. Killing people...it's fun but not rewarding in the context of credits...objectives are the most important thing which I feel is a bit silly since taking over bases with a big group is rarely fun (usually the numbers are heavily one-sided). PS2 had potential but got some of the fundamentals wrong. Smaller worlds with less paths to go through would result in more intense battles and less running around. More corridors would encourage confrontation rather than waiting for more players and limit the usefulness of vehicles. Instead it's scrap battles everywhere and a platoon of players who stomp one place, while one of your platoons stomps some other place which is absolutely boring, most of the problem is that there are THREE worlds and when you're losing in one world, you go to another world. I don't know why, but this is a fatal flaw in PS2, I've seen it ruin other games. Expand
  14. Nov 9, 2013
    I have nothing against games that are free to play in fact I quite like them, however I would appreciate it if they said pay to win instead of free to play when that is the case, Planetside2 is an example of pay to win. Yes items are obtainable via game play if you have 100 years to spare... You are fighting to achieve nothing, you can't win your contribution doesn't matter because there is no goal there is no aim just shooting, anything you capture would have swapped hands by the time you log back on again. So yeh mindless shooting without achieving anything this game is simply for those who like shooting. Expand
  15. Oct 28, 2013
    The game is not newbie friendly, you cannot accomplish anything, solo. While I realize it is meant to be a huge battlefield game, there are limits. The shop is intended to make people, including people with a subscription, to spend extra money on an inferior game.

Planetside 1 had a whole host of issues... planetside 2 has almost all of the same issues, but is free to play. Take my
    advise, go buy a battlefield game, save for titanfall, etc. This is not worth the hard disk space. How it has an overwhelmingly positive review is far beyond me.

I can see some good in it but it cannot overshadow the bad. Takes a thousand and one anti-vehicle weapons to take out a friggin BUGGY!!! AN ARMED CAR!!!! Let alone a tank... There are so many things that could have made this game, one of the BEST SHOOTERS, in history, but they just took it the wrong direction. I realize this is an opinion but at least make it so infantry can KILL TANKS WITHOUT HAVING TO HOSE IT DOWN WITH A THOUSAND ROCKETS!!!! ESPECIALLY SINCE THERE CAN BE SEVERAL HUNDRED IN AN AREA IN AT A GIVEN TIME!!!! Oh sure, you can justify that it has a long cooldown before you can order another but... by the time its destroyed most drivers will have spent around 30+ minutes in one...

The health/shield system is appalling, it makes halo's system look bloody brilliant! The starter weapons are akin to pellet guns. Try taking on more than 3 at a time when you are alone? Doesnt work, does it? Nope you just die instantly... What is the point of playing a game where you cannot 'feel like you are making a difference' in a persistent universe. 1v1, about who can aim, 2v1 you will die unless you are lucky, 3v1 you are dead. They do not reward skill! While I realize this is not one of those types of games it does not do the shooter genre any justice.
  16. Oct 22, 2013
    Terrible terrible. No real feel of accomplishment, flying is impossible, or using any vehicle really. Everything dies in about 2 seconds, and your respawn timers are 20 seconds for inf, 15+ minutes for vehicles. Its dreadfully boring and you are forced to play infantry. Only the elite get to play with vehicles. And even then the Elites are stopped from playing because pleb guns like lock on rocket launchers literally shoot a rocket out that goes directly to the closest enemy vehicle u were looking at and hits it. People spend about 1000 hours of playtime to be able to fly and brand new players need about an hour to get lock on rockets and ruin everyone's fun.

It's interesting at first, but play it for more then a week with at least 2 hours a day playtime and you will realize getting any new weapon from earning certifications is impossibly elongated. This is due to the Free To play model that it has. Which also forces SOE to make weapons/vehicles over powered when they first release them, so that they sell better, which they then nerf to the ground, wasting your money or time you have spent. Everything is about seven dollars each, a gun, a camo, a hat, you name it. And most of the time you will accidentally realize what you bought was a waste, due to not exactly understanding how precisely the weapon or game works.

In this game you can level up. There is no point in leveling up, you get nothing for it, and when you cap to 100 you still get nothing. People don't even acknowledge it in the game. Even the people who are lvl 100 don't really like the game, because they too know all of the above and have just exploited it against other players.

Go play battlefield 4.
  17. Oct 14, 2013
    Could have been a good game but the pay to win structure of the game ruins it. Don't bother trying to earn anything by actually playing the game unless you're willing to blow a week or more just to get a gun. I found the more I played it the more futile any efforts towards progressing became. Frustrating and not fun.
  18. Oct 10, 2013
    When it launched, I thought PlanetSide 2 was going to be THE Game that was going to make me delete all my other ones. Huge maps with lots of enemies to fights, colorful graphics, lots of weapons, vehicles and other unique features. But after playing for a while I realized the game has no goal at all. It is a neverending deathmatch where no team can really win the game. I still log on once in a while and I find that there are less and less players on the servers, and those that remain are hardcore gamers with 1000's of hours played who have already reached the maximum level (makes it hard for noobies to get started). There appear to be a lot of balance issues between factions and vehicles vs infantry. In conclusion, the game has lots of potential but really lacks some very important features that would keep the players interested. Expand
  19. Oct 6, 2013
    This is a Free2Play game and I still feel like I got ripped off. It's THAT bad. Great concept, absolutely terrible execution.
    1) Better have a high end PC or it's a no-go for playing.
    2) It's not a steep learning curve, it's a learning wall. One that you will pound your head against for hours upon hours.
    3) Vehicle controls...They are so bad that I have to wonder if SoE deliberately
    made them difficult or if they are actually THAT incompetent.
    4) This game is PAY TO WIN. Anyone saying different is LYING to you.

Game looks great on the surface. Just don't look to closely or you'll see all the cracks (that happened to be filled with crap)
  20. Sep 20, 2013
    Game was good in the beginning months now it's on it's last dying legs. Extremely bad management and design. They took out everything that was good about the game and threw it out the window. Recent SOE layoffs have resulted in the road map being completely abandoned. By the time they release Hossin everyone will already be playing Battlefield 4. There's nothing free about this game, they just want your money. SOE even threaten players with banning if they dare criticize the game on social media. Beware avoid this atrocious pure excuse for a game and company at all costs as you will regret it later. Expand
  21. Sep 18, 2013
    A decent free-to-play team based shooter with elements and influences taken from a variety of sources but a game completely ruined by pay2win mechanics. Disappointing.
  22. Aug 7, 2013
    This game was just bad honestly its a game where you can be terrible and win. The reason being is grab lock ons against vehicles. The client side programming means two major league bad things should you have a really bad connection you can go to town on people and they cant even see you. Also like 90% of the games files are on your pc thus making it extremely easy to patch and modify your game files; hence all the hackers found it the game(many are sneaky about it now however its still a huge problem). While your at it why not just buff one faction above the others time and time again without any consideration of balance or skill based weaponry. Oh and just to put the cherry on top of the cake they will ban you should you do good, don't believe me get a K/D of 20+ and you will shortly. As for the bugs planetside 2 is FULL of them LITERALLY most of which have been around since the alpha days. such as; falling through the ground being killed but being able to move around and look at people but not die when shot, graphical errors, floating buildings. And then the bugs that they think helps balance the game such as lock ons going right through walls, infantry not even rendering in many cases, huge de-sync problems when in a harasser. As for the content added--I don't think SOE knows the meaning of that because all they do is add generic guns and buff lock on rockets consistently. If you don't believe me look at the patch notes since the beta all they added was change around the warpgates(new only two times) the latus system(Which is horrendously worse then the system before) the harasser that is riddled with bugs and glitches to this day. Now speaking from a knowledgeable programmers perspective you know that SOE could not be dumber in using dx9 vs dx11 and also trying to make they're own engines just to save a little amount of money. Just to top it all off they released a TESTING server that what do you know they don't even USE TO TEST THINGS BEFORE RELEASE! I give this game a rating of 1 just for the sake that they tried to make the first game of its kind but they blew it so hard that I regret playing in the alpha/beta testing phase because that game was better when it was in testing phase otherwise it would be a solid zero. Expand
  23. Aug 1, 2013
    This is the worst gaming experience I have ever experienced. I play BF3 on high settings with under 50 ping, but in PS2, players are teleporting everywhere with the worst lag I've ever seen in a multiplayer game. This is why I stay clear of free to play games. Awful, just awful.
  24. Jul 26, 2013
    Honestly, I like the concept and the gameplay. I really do. I love the advancement system and the many options of guns, apparel and accessories. But the reason I scored this game so low is because in it's current state, it is broken. I have a high-end PC that runs the game at a steady 60fps even in really big battles. But there is this server-lag that happens ALL THE TIME that makes the game unplayable. First off you have this lag where all players are constantly disappearing and reappearing and popping in and out of the world. it's impossible to shoot or kill anyone. When this isn't happening there is another sort of server lag where no matter how many times you shoot someone the hit does not register. They can be 2 feet in front of me and I cannot get a hit marker for anything. Now, I would be okay with this if it happened once in a while. This happens ALL THE TIME. Last night I played for an hour and 45 min. out of the hour these problems existed. The game was only playable for 1/4 of my time played. Tonight I also played an hour and it was the SAME THING. The game would work fine for 5 or 10 minutes but then I would have 30 minutes of this horrible server lag. Even other people in chat were talking about it so I know it's not my computer. Again, I have a high end system that runs more graphic intensive games than planetside just fine. ARMA 2 and ARMA 3 are two of those games. I wish I could give this game an 8 or 9 I really do. But in it's current state I would stay away from it. I have only been playing the game for a week but I am very discouraged and do not want to touch it again until it's fixed because it is a waste of my time. I'm not going to play a game for hours of my time when only 1/4th of it it's actually playable. I advise anyone looking to spend money on it or use HD space to wait until SOE does something about this because the game is literally broken. I think this game is too big for their britches and there's too many players for them to handle. Again, I really wish I could give it a better score because it is a great game but in it's current state... BROKEN! This is my honest review and opinion. Expand
  25. Jul 9, 2013
    Overall a pretty bad game. It runs so awful it is not even funny. It will finally be getting multicore support when it comes to the Playstation 4. Why? More money. Their resource system is quickly turning into a pay to win model. SOE seems hellbent on making sure there is always a huge nerf/buff cycle almost every major patch. The development team for the most part, seems unable to properly do their job. Bad game. Expand
  26. Jun 29, 2013
    This is a pay to win game so it is more relevant to comment on the business model because pay to win games are just that and nothing more.

It's almost unreal but then cheating in games has been around for like forever now you just buy the cheats from the source itself; the developers.
    This is how simple is really is by the way; Weak wheals will pay big bucks to win! Whoa simply
    brilliant!

What makes this business model tasteless tho is that they encourage cheating in games played with other people as a cool thing all while denying that they are in fact selling cheats; anyone making money on this model will jump through hoops telling you that you are not buying the win; this is of course annoying as any fairly sensible person that's not completely self-deluded will just by the use of there own common sense know better.

Words you should associate with pay to win games;
    caveman, loudmouth, villain, doofus, nut, cheat, birdbrain, dope, half-wit, imbecile, brat, nuisance, pest, rip-off, gimmick, trick, hoax, humbug, phony, charlatan, quack.
  27. Jun 25, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Planetside 2 is one of the most disappointing games i've played. Some people think thousands of players battling on one big server is cool, but for me it makes the game laggy and frustrating. i cant walk out of spawn for three minutes without being bombarded with bullets to the point that i need to restart my computer. aside from that, the game is just a slightly hilly plain were snipers pick off everybody that walks out of a building, and if you escape that you find yourself in front of hundreds of enemy tanks and aircraft. There is no auto balancing of any kind that allows for players to face equally skilled foes. instead you spawn in, the game tells which button shoots and pushes you straight into battle. No vehicle piloting or aiming, what your enemies even look like. Another thing is that there is no way to earn better weapons other then buying them with real money, not in game credits or something. so unless you want to spend $500 on a game you haven't even really seen yet just so you don't die every two seconds, DON'T DOWNLOAD THIS GAME!

one more thing I forgot to mention is that when you try to log off it turns your screen black for about an hour and a half then just restarts the launcher. Its more of adware or some sort of troll virus then a game really.
  28. Jun 24, 2013
    Oh dear. I don't think I've come across any shooter that's so cumbersome. When you make a game free to play, the point is for it to be as simple as possible, since you're going to have a lot of people just trying it out casually. What's embarrassing is how PlanetSide 2 makes the simplest of genres a first-person shooter- far too complicated. The tutorial is pointless it just tells you how to move and shoot. The controls are good and graphics are decent for an F2P game but the game makes a horrible first impression. It's got to be the least intuitive, user-friendly shooter experience ever created. The map, the spawn, the objective, the vehicles etc. are given zero explanation. Any game which requires someone else to teach you how to play at even the most basic level is garbage and seriously needs to rethink its design or at least implement some game modes to divide the experience up into small learning experiences rather than dumping you into a map the size of the moon and having no idea what you're supposed to do. Expand
  29. Jun 22, 2013
    Game came out and was pretty solid out of the gate. In the last two months (writing this in June 2013), the development staff has made a ton of stupid decisions that have butchered what could have been a great game.

The Creative Director, Matt Higby, came out last week talking about why he's instating these inane "gameplay rules" and the necessity of them, but the changes show nothing
    but a lack of imagination and critical thought.

While in minor cases, they listen to the community at large, they seem to ignore what the playerbase is asking for a majority of the time. As time goes on, it becomes more and more apparent that this is just a money grab and not even remotely F2P.

The game becomes more P2W with every update and gets less fun to play every day. I'm sorry I spent a dime on this game and I hope others will think twice before they do.
  30. Jun 22, 2013
    After playing this game from Alpha, sinking a couple hundred Smed Bucks and spending a great deal of time playing the original Planetside, I'm incredibly disappointed in the sequel. The dev's are too obsessed with making new cosmetic items to milk the dwindling population, instead of making PS2 into the great game it should be.

The business model is completely warped. When they should
    be addressing fundamental issues, they're busy buggering up the balance with new OP weapons (which are nerfed as soon as they hit their sales target).

Honestly, if the dev's put as much time into developing the gameplay experience as they do generating cash items, the player base would be ten times as big. And the game would be so much more profitable than it is now.

The main issues:

1. Lack of Meta-game. It's just massive TDM at the moment, there's no real sense of goals or achievements and it's really stale. There's been a number of great ideas floating around since release (NTU's/Caverns/Cont. Locking), but they've not been integrated, and the game is fundamentally boring.

2. No real MMO character development. There's no real individual character development found in other MMO's, just a constant grind to earn 'certs', which means you can basically upgrade everything. There's no individual roles, as you can change class at whim. I can see how this is difficult in an FPS, but PS1 had an excellent system whereby a player would really have to think about a finite number of cert's, before locking them into a role for a set period of time.

3. Performance. I currently own a £2k 1 year old gaming rig, and I have to run this game on low settings to get decent FPS. Sorry, but this really has gone on long enough, and needs sorting.

4. Constant balance changes. Nerfing and buffing with every update undermines player confidence in purchasing weapons, and the development team. So, air was OP when the game was released the solution? Nerf air, buff all AA and introduce new AA weapons. Where any one of those options would have been sufficient, all three have destroyed the air game. Players who like to fly feel alienated. Balance is delicate, and SOE seems to deal with changes like a bull at a gate.

5. New weapons affect on balance not thought through. In their quest to milk the population, new weapons are rushed and not tested properly. A good example of this? ZOE. Players cried that it was ridiculously OP when it was on test and all of this feedback was ignored. So ZOE goes live, and lo and behold, it's crazy OP and destroy's the game in favour of one fraction for 2 3 weeks before SOE smacked it with the nerf bat. Then we have players who certed into ZOE complaining about the amount certs they dropped in it! IDEAS AND CHANGES NEED TO BE THOUGHT THROUGH.

6. Minor bugs that have been in since Alpha still aren't fixed. Seriously, why the hell do ESF wheels STILL stay out on spawn until you land. It's the little things that make a great game. Unfortunately, bugs which should NOT be in a game are still present. It makes the whole game feel somehow 'sloppy'.

7. New players are not eased into what's quite a complicated game. There needs to be a bunch of IN GAME tutorials and missions which give new players an overview of what the games all about, and give them a fighting chance. As it is, you have heavily experienced players flattening the new players. The experienced players feel bad, the new players leave. It's not a good system.

8. Outfits. This game is about team play, but as a new players there's no incentive to join an outfit, or any outfits welcoming enough for new players (depending on the server). You should automatically be signed up to a large fraction outfit, with players dedicated to getting new players into the battle fast.

9. No CR (command rank). Players in PS1 had to earn squad leader status through well, leading squads, which earns a player command ranks. There's no leader development, so it's a bunch of idiot's trying to command the battlefield with no experience. At least with CR you had to earn the right to command.

I won't go on, although this list could go on forever.

The bottom line. Avoid for another 6 months (if it lasts that long). If the dev's shape up and really start looking into the above issue's then this game will be unbelievably good. As it stands, it's not worth the time, and if you're a PS1 vet like me, you'll feel let down and betrayed.
  31. Jun 21, 2013
    This game is utter trash. Its a fun idea ruined by alienating new players, rewarding pay to win, and confusing and bad game controls, mechanics UI and a waste of in game time doing nothing.

The fun idea
    A large actively changing map where all three factions fight for total dominance of the planet. With 3 large maps, it fills a niche I've yet to experience and thought would be really
    fun.

alienation
    This game's tutorial consists of showing you how to play a generic first person shooter then throws you into combat without knowing what objectives are, and how to interact with other players. Hell you don't even get taught about vehicles. This isn't a FPS with a campaign mode, if it did It wouldn't need to tell me a thing. But it does because without any nice tut, I am lost.

pay to win
    striaght forward, pay money, get an advantage. Better armor, better weapons, more upgrades. This is what we call ignoring game balance. The devs obviously just wanted a quick dollar. In the long run they may have money, but I will never play a game from these people, and certainly not this one.

CONFUSION
    Lets have 3 factions: red, blue and purple. Now let us make allies show up blue in the UI and enemies in red... So red team has blue allies who are red and blue enemies who are red. Orange and green and yellow also exist..

The best part is the spawning system. Instead of having variable induvidual spawn points within a base or outpost, everyone is spawned in safe buildings within those areas. In other words Prime spawn camping material. 2 tanks and a location is ready to spawn camp. Then reinforcements come and the defending side tries to poke their heads out and fire rockets hoping they don't die and can save their base. While the offensive are simply aiming at the doors hoping to react fast enough to shoot an enemy to death. Not like it matters, you can die inside a safe spawn anyhow or life for a moment outside of it. Then often times the spawn locations are hundreds, sometimes past a thousand Kilometers from any enemy location/combat region. This means(I kid you not) about 5-60 minutes of aimless or monotonous walking and running to actually start playing the game. Good thing is there is an orbital drop spawn! Sadly though, you only get to use it every 15 minutes or so.

The UI is atrocious, nothing about it makes sense. The minimap only randomly shows you structures and enemies, its not clear at all what causes something to show up on the map. Often snipers or vehicles kill you before you hear, see or detect them on the minimap unless you are scouting ahead with a sniper rifle.

menus are a joke. These devs seem to think words are a sin. I click on one of several icons without words. You have to hover over them for a few seconds to see what they are. By this time, you forget what one icon was and are constantly searching until you memorize everything.

No clear objectives. While you see icons in the distance it isn't clear what you are supposed to do, what it does, or why you might want to go there. Good thing the game doesn't let you know you can't capture a point if it is land locked by enemy territory. Why that is a rule is beyond me. This game is nothing like real combat, its just a chaotic mess with no one telling anyone what to do, and the game certainly doesn't care to tell you what you should do.

Waste of time
    Just plain and simple. When you spend more time traveling than you do fighting, you know you should be spending your time elsewhere. I was hoping to play a game, not walk it.

If you have $100 you don't care about and no goals in life, this is the game for you. It will eat your time and money and make you feel right at home. However, like most people, I cherish both my time and money and my dignity. I won't be fooled by this puke garbage. This is the result of people who wanted money and had no passion at all and who have never played an FPS in their lives.
  32. Jun 19, 2013
    4/10 has potential but is just frustrating. No orientation or clear objective, nothing to acclimatize the player to the controls or HUD, just pick a class and shoot things. My experience of the game consisted of being killed by massively over-levelled players with better equipment who I couldn't even touch because starter equipment I had did as much damage as a water pistol. Constantly re-spawning and dying is not my idea of fun, thanks. Expand
  33. Jun 18, 2013
    This game is a waste of time if you don't have a $2000 system. Please don't support this game at all, don't play it. Although yes it is fun at times. It never stops lagging unless you have a newer NiVidia graphics card or a high end processor.
  34. Jun 17, 2013
    I am not sure if it is my failure or there's but I had technical issues with this game across several machines which I never resolved. This had the effect of having a rather basic looking graphical experience.

In terms of the game play I never understood what the fuss was about. Extremely mediocre.

Personally, I found it extremely buggy, poorly supported and not worth the effort
    to work through the bugs because the game is just not good enough. Expand
  35. Jun 5, 2013
    I would love to like the game more, but I feel like the more chances I give them to address the issues that bug me the more I am let down. A few things to note about the game off the bat: 1) Hit detection is client side. 2) The game is HEAVILY CPU bound. 3) It is free to play, and you could theoretically play without paying anything..but that would take ages. 4) Most vehicle weaponry costs 700 station cash (7 USD if you buy it straight up with no station cash sales).
    5) There are 3 factions, yet only two of them have any kind of face representing them on the dev team and one of the factions is heavily favored in the dev team.

So going down the list.

1) Hit detection being client side means the game has had droves of cheaters exploit that fact, and they have a hard time dealing with them. They have GMs announce their presence when they login so people can get cheaters dealt with a little faster, but these GMs are sporadic at best. And you have to either remember their name or hope you can scroll back to get it when you run into a cheater. Admittedly the cheating has gotten less rampant, but anytime there's a "special" XP event they come out of the woodwork and the GMs are never to be seen.

On the topic of cheaters, there are players who exploit the game or exploit the spirit of the EULA, get banned for a week or two...but get to keep all of their ill gotten XP with a slap on the wrist. Many of them being pretty well known players. You'll notice a few of them were BR 100 (max level) weeks, maybe months ahead of the everyone else. With whacked out stats that seem impossible as hell on their stats page. SOE claims to not condone this behavior, yet it does nothing to discourage aside from a week long ban.....it's a stupid policy and just asks for people to abuse it.

2) CPU Bound performance, Intel CPUs are the favored here. You want a higher clock speed rather than more cores as this game does not utilize cores very well. And often you will find your performance has dropped each game update. GPU matters, but not as much as it should.

3) & 4)

If you were to buy station cash right now to pay for something in game, it'd be 1 dollar for 100 station cash. They have deals where you can get double or triple station cash meaning 1 dollar would be 2x100 or 3x100. Or deals with places like Walmart where a 15 dollar game card 2000 station cash (20 dollar equiv) and can be doubled or tripled on the special deal events. But their prices normally are 7 dollars for any weapon worth having generally. Aesthetic items go from 100 to 2000 (different colored pistols being the highest priced item atm).

There are membership subscriptions, XP boosters, and many other things to buy for the game. All to speed up your XP gain which means more certs. Which certs are used to upgrade or buy weaponry. You can not buy aesthetic items with certs. It is much more time efficient to buy the weaponry with station cash that you buy on one of the 2x or 3x deals and use the certs to upgrade stuff only.

I will say I am a little under $100 bucks into the game at this point, and I used 2x/3x deals to buy the majority of it and bought a lot of my items in bundles or on daily deals (half off regular price for the day) to stretch out what I got. But on average I'm still paying 2-3 dollars per item.

Now this wouldn't be so incredibly bad IF the items were not constantly screwed around with and nerfed to make room for the "new" guns to come out to get people to buy it for the latest and greatest.

This is probably the primary reason I feel like the game is a sham right now, because they have to sell items to keep the doors open...so instead of making new interesting items, they keep reducing the effectiveness of existing weapons and pumping out similar items with old mechanics but better numbers.

I'd say I easily have 40 dollars worth of weaponry that I don't even bother trying to use because it's pointless to even waste time with it since they've ruined it. I will direct your attention to any HE turret, not only did they lengthen it's reload time to crazy times, but they also lowered it's ability to damage to vehicles and players significantly since the game has been released. You are better off using any other turret than the HE unless you are shooting from super far off at infantry. There are plenty of examples in every weapon type of this game where items were just made completely useless through constant intentional and unintentional nerfs.

5) It won't be a popular subject, but I play TR. I see that VS and NC are represented quite vocally on the dev team, NC especially with Higby. I'll just leave it at that, but I recommend picking NC if you want to be kept happy.

I am reviewing this the day Game Update 10 was released. I am not a happy player or customer with the direction this game is going and how slow they are to address things.
  36. Jun 5, 2013
    Loads of potential crippled by the engines inability to address multi core CPU's, hyper-threading or use more than 50% of your GPU. DirectX 9.................

This game has so much potential that gets gimped at every turn because of the poor choice of engine development. As it sits currently you will be netting about 30 fps in a firefight on two GTX780's in SLI and a I7 overclocked to
    5 GHZ. The total lack of any game optimization, it's inability to properly address multui core CPU's or perform hyper-threading, or take advantage of multi GPU setups really hinder the games play-ability and overall enjoyment level.

The game is solid, the devs are working tirelessly on balance issues but the core looming issue has gone unaddressed for so long i now have to believe it is simply technologically impossible for this game to ever play at acceptable fluid frame rates for a modern day gamer. It really really puts a sour taste in most gamers mouths that can become too large of a pill to swallow.

If you value your frame rate, have a 120 hz monitor or own high end hardware this game is not for you, you wont last long before the frustration sends you packing back to your old friend because 30 FPS were simply to painful to bear with for more than a few hours.
  37. May 30, 2013
    Free to play pay to win Air vehicles are useless since 80 of the servers are running with max.s with unlocked Anti air guns , Really poor optimised cant run well on my i5 2500k & 6970 radeon Sides are unbalanced as hell Red guys are the best since they have most fastest fire rate Blue guys weapons hit hard but have high recoil & slow rpm making them worst in game . Draw distance kills this game Flew bomber plane with 3 seats and unlocked some nice stuff to it AA cannon at the rear is useless against skilled fighter pilots and you are just free score Draw distance comes into play when flying you see enemy AA max when you are like 50 meters away from him and he can see you from 200-300 meters away GG rly .

TLDR Overrated game pay to win unbalanced was fun for the first 20-30 hours.
  38. May 26, 2013
    What are the good things? Well, no one buys their way in like in most F2Ps, and the class system is pretty good. The rest is sketchy at best. It is I guess supposed to be a little like Battlefield where you join a squad to complete an objective, but that objective never works. Your squad mostly attacks the tanks (which can spawn way too cheaply) and die, go the wrong way and die or just suck and die. The reason? There is way too much going on for the game's own good. I get they were trying to stay away from the conventional FPS where one man wins a war, but when 2500 players from three teams are fighting all the battles are are air strikes and kamikazes and nothing ever gets done. Picture MW with unlimited Harrier Strikes. The concept of huge scale war makes sense, but doing it in badly organized squads doesn't work. And don't try doing anything by yourself, getting nice weapons or rewards for anything is impossible. Expand
  39. May 21, 2013
    Let me preface this review by saying that I've been playing this game since the beta stage.
    The game is amusing, but highly overrated. It's fun for a bit and then you realize that you've accomplished absolutely nothing and you've been killed every 30 seconds by someone who has everything upgraded for their character. Even when you manage to take an entire section of the map you rarely
    have a sense of achievement.
    The maps are huge and pretty, but spawn points are obnoxiously far away which results in lots of time spent traveling from place to place. God-forbid anyone kill you along the way because then you'll have to start over.
    Weapons are insanely imabalanced, the Vanu's guns are about as strong as marshmallow shooters compared to the other two factions' weapons. Anyone who can gain a few points (which isn't hard at all) can then get a MAX suit or a tank, which are super overpowered for their prices. It varies depending on the time and server, but the New Conglomerate usually have way more people playing at once than the other two factions do.
    The game shows absolutely no mercy towards new players, you're thrown in with everyone else on the server and usually end up with the short end of the stick in every fight. There is no place for newer, underequipped players to go and work their way up to play with the higher leveled players. Newbies are dropped in the middle with everyone else.PS2 doesn't count running someone over as a teamkill, so trolls will often do that resulting in a "suicide" for you which has a longer respawn counter than usual.
    Lastly, the game is pretty but poorly optimized at the moment.; very buggy with its fair share of glitches. I've got a decent gaming rig: quad core CPU 3.4Ghz, 8GB RAM, & Geforce GTX 550Ti and I can't play the game smoothly unless everything is off or on low with a reduced render distance and 0% render quality.

Tl;dr Game is overrated, surprisingly imbalanced, NC are the zerg, noobs are doomed, glitches ahoy!
  40. May 16, 2013
    Based off my personal experience with this product it wouldn't be too far fetched to say Planetside 2 is used to torture political dissidents in Iranian prisons.
  41. May 11, 2013
    I played this game for four hours and this game is insanely overrated. Have fun figuring out what to do given the fact that if your new the servers population doesnt give a sh*t about you. I couldnt even find enemys in my four hour game time do to the fact i kept getting team killed by players who just thought it was hilarious to spawn kill all of thier team mates coming out of the teleporters. There is little to no weapon balance as begginer players will get destroyed ans stand no chance until the rank up and your crazy if you want me to play for 12+ hours to just be on even ground. So overall if your not a fan already, ignore this garbage. Expand
  42. Apr 30, 2013
    Let me start out by telling what Planetside 2 gets right. The maps are large and made to feel like what a war zone should be like, and the sheer fact that the game is actually an constant everlasting MMO-FPS like promised is something mind-boggling. That alone deserves praise from people all around, whether you like the game or not.

But about right there is where the good times stop,
    very abruptly. You spawn in for the first anywhere: you don't get to choose. You could end up lucky and spawn at a deserted base, or you'll get completely screwed over and spawn in the middle of hell with enemy fire hitting you from all directions. Either way though, you're still practically a sitting duck because you'll immediately have to go through the controls to learn how to PLAY the game. I don't care who you are, a tutorial is ALWAYS a good idea for those that are new to the series and have no clue what the hell they're doing.

Another major problem is that it is as repetitive as every single modern shooter with very little to no change. The only change you may see is that you've been blown up by five tanks instead of five rocket launchers. Go to this base, shoot this guy, die because he's played more, go to that base, shoot that guy, die again, get in a "plane," crash because you weren't given a tutorial on how to fly, and then wait for another spawn, and so on, and so on until you get bored or until your computer mercifully crashes to save your sanity.

The third problem of the game is it's major lack of story. Yes, there are three factions, yes it's on another planet, but which planet the game's on nobody knows. Why the three factions are warring is a question only people majorly invested in learning the cannon know. Or who leads any of the factions is left to speculation as far as I'm aware. The game has less story than a game that doesn't look like it needs one (i.e. TF2).

But the major, overall problem with almost every SOE Free2play MMO is their incessant love for in-game currency or real-money in-game purchases for better weapons. In other words, the game is a pay-to-win system where the rich get to use fancy weapons and hi-tech gear that can kill any player just by looking, while the new player just sits back and repeatedly slams his head into a wall because it's more entertaining.

Overall, the game is a grand promise of grandeur and amazement marred by horrible design choices, a pay-to-win system, multiple glitches, hackers, and spawn campers, and NO story at all. As far as a F2P game goes, I would recommend anything from Team Fortress 2 to Warframe. Yet, as it is a F2P game, you won't lose any money off of playing, so... test it...? Maybe you'll like it, but I sure as hell wouldn't even begin to call this game good, let alone call it an MMO of the year.
  43. Apr 25, 2013
    I would like Planetside 2 alot but theres one problem the damn P2W (Pay 2 win) style of gameplay.

Many of you might say it's not a P2W game but in reality it is P2W game because they made collecting in-game money really slow and weapons costs way too lot that you can buy by in-game money.
    Also i found that theres some huge balance problems that in some faction have lots of players and
    other don't on server where you are playing.

About the P2W thing ithat those don't by weapons and items for real money it takes very long to get them unlike people that buys weapons and items for real money they can get really good stuff on low lever that helps alot.
    For example, if there 2 players on 1 VS 1 and both low level players on same class, the other guy have the basic weapons and items that you can get from start of the game and other guy buys weapons and items for real money from start, the guy that buys weapons and items for real money owns the guy that don't buy weapons and items for real money unlike the other guy with starting weapons and items don't have any chance to kill that guy.
    So it force you buy weapons and items for real money to win 1 VS 1 fights other then that you need always have 1-3 teammates with you even fights turn out be 2-4 vs 1.

But there was something good about this game and that was 2000 players each server, really big maps, really good looking graphics for F2P game, Controlls are almost perfect.

Also not forget that sometimes the server balance is so bad you end up fighting like 20 enemys at same time own base where is only 2-5 own team mates and sometimes you and up fighting all 20 enemys alone.

After i found Planetside 2 be alot pay 2 win style of game then i just stoped playing it and not waste of my time for collecting in-game money that you can collets very long time for single weapon.
  44. Apr 22, 2013
    The TTK or "time to kill" is absurdly low; 0.49 for most guns. That's crazy for a laggy game like Planetside 2. If you don't discover the person first then you'll be dead. There isn't any time to react. This is what brings Planetside 2 down. Not to mention the fact that using the Auto Join Squad feature puts you in squads that clans use who then proceed to kick you from said squad. Crappy UI mechanics also bring Planetside 2 down. Expand
  45. Apr 12, 2013
    i have no problem with the game it runs well, 40 fps in large battles, nice optimization but the f problem is that at times it doesn't work at all, this is worse than WOW phasing, i don't know what development team they have but you FREAKING SHOOT 50 BULLETS AT A PERSON 1 YARD IN FRONT OF YOU AND YOU DO 0 DAMAGE, YEAH THAT'S RIGHT THE FUTURE FPS THEY CAN SHOOT YOU BUT YOU CAN'T!, i point this 8 weeks ago and still isn't fixed, all they care is about selling weapons and other but fixing this god damn game doesn't matter to them. THIS GAME IS WORSE THAN WAR Z AT LEAST YOU CAN PLAY THAT Collapse
  46. Apr 7, 2013
    When I first started playing this game I actually enjoyed it. However, I started quite late and after a while I started to find this one of the most frustrating and unfair first person shooters I have ever played. New players are thrown into a battle as a level 1 and are mostly against lever 20s, not to mention the countless level 40s and even level 70s. They have much better weapons than you and even if you get the first shot you can almost bet your life that if they start shooting back its over. They also have better armour. The snipers in this game are ridiculous, yielding very powerful semi-automatics at a higher level. Eventually I found myself aiming to get one kill for every spawn in a battle because it was inevitable that either I will get shot to pieces by an experienced player or picked off instantly by a sniper.

Even if you're good at first person shooters don't expect that you will do just as well in this game. I guarantee that when you experience your first battle you'll be instantly killed with a few shots from a more experienced player with a much better gun than you. I stopped playing after I realised I was only re-spawning to be killed again. This game is unfair, unrewarding, frustrating and simply not fun. As other people have said, it's just a complete mess.
  47. Apr 6, 2013
    For new players this game is the worst. There is no learning area, you are thrown into battle without a clue and put up against the games seasoned p2w players and just killed at will. The game offers no path to learn the game. I can not stress how this is the worst game to start as a new player. The vendor greed is totally shown and knows no bounds. The frustration can not be described. It's enough that I don't even think I try anything Sony puts out again nor anything else with the Sony name on it. I can't get over the greed of this vendor to start asking for money before you can play or even see how to play. The frustration is beyond words. That aside, the game also froze twice adding even more to the frustration. Expand
  48. Mar 30, 2013
    Uninspired levels, horrid sound, boring bland weapons, lag lag lag lag and altogether wasted untapped potential that is just a few of the things that planetside 2 suffers from. Don't waste you're time with this atrocity until the developers pull up their pants, sew their heads back on, lace up their work boots and realise that just because you make it free it doesn't mean that you can spoon feed people crap and that you actually still have to make an effort... Expand
  49. Mar 26, 2013
    Purely idiotic game design. As you spawn into the game, you have no idea what you are doing. Distinguishing enemies from friendlies is a pain in the ass (some classes had similar body colours as the enemy team). And the best thing ever your weapons get if you accidentally shoot some idiot on your team. The only reason this cesspool of a game exists is because it is "free".
  50. Mar 25, 2013
    Planetside 2 is one of those games that drops you in the battlefield without any experience or knowledge over what to do and how to do it. You're often wondering where the action is going on, and when it's there you're powerless. I had to give it a three because, for a free to play game, it looks stunning, but it's a dead hamster hidden in a beautiful box.
  51. Mar 22, 2013
    Terrible performance issues i wont ever go near this game again.
    Tested it out and it runs appaling how on earth can you expect people to play this garbage it runs like a slide show on high end gear.
    What mess cya
  52. Mar 9, 2013
    What a joke at the dumb reviewers saying this game is way better than any battlefield or any other fps game out there.. and giving this game a 10 out of 10. If you think a broken, bland, pointless, game like planetside 2 is better than any other mutliplayer shooter out there then you have either never played 1 single damn game besides this, are 10 years old, or you have the worst taste in gaming that I have ever seen. About the game, all i can really say is, devs dont have the common sense to help out newbies so people get turned away from the game so less player base, and HOW can anyone say this is a better game than battlefield when all you do in this game is capture 1 base at a time with unbalanced classes and vehicles and you do nothing else.... at least in battlefield you can play many different game types, play with friends, better control of vehicles, more rewarding system, better scaling, just about everything is better in Battlefield besides the map is bigger in PS2.... BOOHOO Expand
  53. Mar 7, 2013
    This is nothing more than a laggy spawn camp. Really not worth the time to bother downloading it. Go play just about any other shooter for a better experience.
  54. Mar 6, 2013
    At first glance, Planetside 2 looks like what FPS fans would describe as a perfect FPS. Heaps of guns, huge maps, people running everywhere, vehicles and just generally massive scale warfare. Sadly, it is far from it, it could have been, but isn't. Planetside 2 is a game plagued with bugs that haven't been fixed, pay to win business model, especially when it comes to vehicles, optimization easily the worst I have ever seen (20-30 fps on my high end machine with every setting on dead low), disgusting textures (1997ish textures on low, impossible to play it higher), hackers everywhere with no solid attempt to overcome them (even though it is impossible to get rid of them in a F2P shooter so why bother i guess), awfully confusing UI, so bad that it actually causes performance issues, horrifically slow progression (after playing 70 hours I have unlocked 1 weapon which is the cheapest ones). Balance is pretty bad, players will never be able to be a pilot without spending money to unlock the must have items for the aircraft, and tanks can be improved as the default machine gun that most of the vehicles have are god awful. The price of the items are ridiculous, as usual with all free to play games, $15 subscriptions basically get you nothing and guns are like $7-10 dollars. Seriously, has any company actually tried selling their products at an acceptable price? Perhaps they would be more successful if they catered to people who aren't rich or have no sense of value with currency.

Planetside 2 could have easily been that amazing MMO-FPS game that fans are really wanting, but with all these horrible issues that still haven't been fixed, or even improved upon after I returned to playing Planetside 2, I am quite skeptical that this game will ever be worth your time.
  55. Mar 5, 2013
    Pointlessly overcomplicated Noob killing fest. Let's start, that my experience on online shooters ranges from the early-early Desert Combat games, all the way to BF3. I'm not really into the MMORPG, but for this review, doesn't need any.
    So, let's start with the positives. I like the idea. I like the ambitious effort and pushing the envelope to make online shooters progress to new,
    uncharted territories. I like the idea of giant battlefields and mixture of doing different things at once. I also like the seems to be endless upgrades and making the players progress somewhere, let that be new weapons, outfits, vehicles and higher ranks. All these are all present but a diamond in a rough form in Planetside 2. Here comes my rant. I can understand the fact, that after a while everyone gets a grip of what is going on and how to read the map and figure out how to upgrade etc. But I'm afraid, it may be too late by then, since the immediate impression will turn off many, before they would start become interesting. Lacking any tutorials, or perhaps off-line maps with bots would help a lot. Almost all games we play including shooters- has some sort of an introduction into the mechanics and/or a walk through in real-time (not youtube videos!) In other words The game is making every newbie UNWELCOME. 1. Sign up; choose your passwords; pick a class; pick a side
    2. Get dropped into the battlezone and get shot dead.
    3. Try different things; run around the map; be confused about many things, get shot dead within a few minutes. 4. Rinse and repeat step 2 and 3 for a while. ...
    Problems right off from the first impression: I. The mini map is utterly confusing and pointlessly over complicated to a point, where it isn't even functioning as a map. Congested and displaying all sorts of stuff not really useful, or just simply too much. I'm not sure if it can be customized or not, I haven't found the option yet, which I would assume most newbie neither. II. The whole design of the large deployment map. I'm trying to figure out, if there are any differences between the middle; the corners and between, regarding what buildings/terrain/objectives variations there are, but after 9-10 hours of gameplay, it all looks like a photoshop pattern of basically repeating features and buildings. Actually, giving in a thought, they could have used 1/4 of the size of the maps, since it doesn't really matter when you get dropped into the fight zone, you know exactly what buildings you gonna find and you just gonna follow to find the power generators and the capture points. There isn't a memorable location, since you won't be able to memorize much, but you will know exactly what is what. III. Upgrades. There seems to be unlimited number of upgrades, but they all seem to be unreachable for those, who doesn't want to spend a bucket load of money. I leave that right there.
    IV. Balance. Many game in similar category gives the players the chance to familiarize themselves with the game, so they usually give the option of servers, based on experience level. We could have novice, intermediate and pro servers, just for this purpose. They could have made the game, that a newbie could enjoy a pro-server, but count on being the cannon fodder, but perhaps reward his bravery by making him gain exp. points faster, than on a noob server. Same deal in reverse. Pro player joining with high hopes of mass murdering the noobs, would end up not gaining much, perhaps revoke their super-duper maxed out equipment and make them fight with the basic given weapon and outfit. Or perhaps "ship" the pro players to a new planet or continent, where they face off similar high-level pro players. But no. Instead pro players seem to be mass-r.ping the newbies to gain more exp. points. Basically the game rewards those, who rather play like bullies, while leaving the newcomer in the dust. It may sound fun, if you got the equipment, but eventually it will destroy the game on the long run. Why? Because new people won't be joining, and old pro-players may just move on to whatever newer game come out in the near future. Eventually the servers will be abandoned to a point, where you gonna have these giant maps and only 10-20 people playing instead of 100. V. No real rewards. Weapons, outfits, masks, optics, extra ammo all sounds great, but what's the point? You gonna be doing the same thing with them over and over! What happened to rewards given to teams? Or what about giving rewards for platoons and factions, who conquered half of the map? What's good about having 3/4 of the map conquered compared to only half or 1/4 of it? Nothing. There should be team/platoon/squad based experiences given. How about a tactical nuke, or ability to call in airstrikes, indirect/direct artillery or orbital strike? Just some ideas. As of right now, this game is still just a newbie-hostile beta test, with missing objectives and limited real feel of progress.
  56. Mar 3, 2013
    If you like being frustrated and annoyed, play this game. If your sadomasochistic, spend money on this game. What I find most frustrating is the huge potential of this game, SOE just doesn't have what it takes to make this game into what it could have been, it's a shame really. I have been playing and waiting for it to deliver since the game first came out, but I have given up on PS2 and SOE.
  57. Mar 3, 2013
    Sadly my review will mostly echo the main criticisms I've seen on here of the game. The learning curve is relatively steep, and though you won't generally get endlessly flamed by your teammates (one individual's failure, on average, can be a drop in the bucket given the sheer scale of combat in the game), unless you are EXTREMELY dedicated and or very very good, don't expect to be upgrading your character's certs with any sort of regularity without dropping some cash on the game. I had some extra Station Cash from my EQ2 F2p days and dropped them on some starting guns, but even that small initially boost was not enough to alleviate the utter curbstompering I experienced at the hands of the most modestly geared opponents. Add to that the insanely high system reqs (to be expected when there's a couple hundred people in one warzone), and you have a very frustrating gaming experience with very, very little payout in terms of seeing your "character" progress. Expand
  58. Feb 22, 2013
    A brilliant game at it's core with potential unlike any other. But as with all games, they're only as good as their worst. In Planetside 2's case, this is the controls, gun accuracy, SoE's illegal billing department, laughable iron crosshairs that miss like the gun of your barrel is bent, abundant vehicle HP and overall balance between the three different factions. As it was with P1, Terran is still the most overplayed faction to date with no xp consequences, allowing the one with an advantage achieve even greater boosts through zerging tactics. But one of the flaws that stands out the most to me is the Terran guns. All of them have an insane rate of fire which either brings out two frequent scenarios: 1. Your gun shoots so fast to the point that the server cannot keep up and 2-4 of your bullets will not be affected by the initial recoil, leaving a gun that would normally not be able to hit anything past 3 yards suddenly gain the accuracy of a sniper rifle. Or. 2. Your gun shoots so fast that the proper amount of bullets is either increased or lessened, often with a rubber-band effect, causing a yoyo effect in one's DPS. Stack these along with the constant overall lag with hitboxes and hackers (which is to be expected in a game such as PS2) and your shooting experience will be ruined most of the time. Going back to balancement, in the beta, MAX units could effectively take down aircrafts with dual AA gun attachments if they came too close or didn't spontaneously move. What did they do to resort this? Remove the weapon completely from the entire beta, relaunch a 80% hamstered version into the release and only allow 1 per arm which you'll now have to purchase for an insane amount of in-game money. All because of a whining community on the forums, crying that their ultralight scouting airplane got shot down as it was flying a few meters above enemy towers. The situation is currently much the same, Sunderers for example, a transport/spawn vehicle require roughly 6-8 rocketlauncher hits before dying and it has no weakspots, be it rear or flank. A heavy assault unit can only carry 4-5 rockets at a time (with upgrades which also require you to pay for) which means if you happen to run into an enemy Sunderer, you will not be able to take it down without an ammo-refill, even with no opposition. The game is poorly thought through&executed and even more poorly managed. Even so I hope one day they will actually confront these issues and iron them out, not just leave them to fester like in P1 but alas, SoE has not gained the reputation of being massive incompetent cu nts for nothing. R.I.P, PS2. Expand
  59. Feb 19, 2013
    Instructions: none. Tutorial: none. Upgrades after 4 hours of gameplay unnoticeable. Constant prompting to buy cert points via cash shop: annoying. Hacks: prominent. Maps poorly designed: windows everywhere in buildings. Support classes: easy targets. Spawn in middle of rocket blast: instantly dead. So many glaring issues: will not pay to play.
  60. Viy
    Feb 19, 2013
    This game is free to play as a spectator, If you want to help your team or be anything other than cannon fodder then you have to spend money. I was looking for a game to play that I wouldn't mind paying some money for a couple extras, but, being defenseless and building my char around my credit card, terrible.
  61. Feb 17, 2013
    Free to play? lol. More like free to hack. Have fun spending $50+ dollars on items that are bound to a single character to get you your competitive edge, only to have a hacker spawn kill you for 10 minutes. This game is the most overrated game I have ever had the displeasure of playing. There are no active GMs, there is no anti-cheat detection. The only method SOE uses is reports from players followed by stats tracking. Sometimes it will take days to ban a hacker. Oh, but the game is FTP so what is stopping the banned hacker from just creating a new account? Nothing. Expand
  62. Feb 15, 2013
    I would like this game. If it wasn't so much pay to win. Say, you want a gun so you play for 5 hours straight and then you get it (only if you play good) BUT if you have the money, you buy expensive credits and get the gun instantly. Game should be called Pay 2 Winside 2
  63. Feb 13, 2013
    The cheaters are out of control. The game is pretty boring. Every battle not at The Crown ends up being the more populated faction spawn room camping the less populated faction. There is little to no metagame. There is no reason to really play this game for more than a week or two. I like to call this a FTP throwaway game. Try it, toss it, go onto the next FTP game.
  64. Feb 11, 2013
    Bad: Buggy, hackers, counter intuitive if you've played a lot of FPS games, over hyped, terrible hit registry, waste of time, download speeds are terrible.
    Good: it's free, it's good for pointing out BF3's failings, might be passable if you social life purely exists online.
  65. Feb 10, 2013
    Countless bugs, almost no friend/foe ID unless you mouse over for 5 seconds, so by that time, if it was a foe, you are dead. Also, you die in 3 hits unless your armor is built up. Another free to play, free to die, pay to win, pay to survive game. Don't waste your time on this one.
  66. Feb 4, 2013
    This game has a great premise, but unless you wanna shell out money in the cash shop, you'll never get anywhere... I'm all for pay2play, but not pay2win. Plus, getting team killed by frustrated beginners or douchey vets its a pain in the ass; and don't even get me started on the lag... It's not horrible... but it feels like a game thats still in beta.
  67. Feb 2, 2013
    I used to think Battlefield 3 was bad, wait till you play Planetside 2, you can’t even compare the two as Battlefield 3 is miles ahead of this piece of garbage. Gameplay sucks, there is not much gameplay here it’s a big spam fest where supposedly 100s of players are working as part of a team to attack a base, there is no team work involved its everyone for themselves as a so called platoon leader screams down the microphone saying how he will kick those who do not follow orders and on top of that its pay to win, its a huge cert grind where all the weapons are overpriced and it takes you weeks to unlock a single weapon without spending any money on XP boosts. Graphics suck,yes they suck nothing new here plenty of other games have better graphics than this game even in 2004 doom 3, half life 2 had better graphics and lower system requirements than this. The community sucks, on the forums you see people “talking about the game” when they barely hit 20 hours in gameplay, I spent 600+ hours on this and regret it all especially now as soon as you begin climbing the leader boards every player you kill starts reporting you and telling their whole outfit to report you accusing you of cheating and making other false accusations when they barely play the game at all. I regret getting suckered into this game with the false advertising, because frankly this game is pointless to play there is no sense of achievement there is no metagame, all you do is run to capture a base which the opposing faction captures 10 minutes later, so you repeat the same thing all the time, as sony thought that grinding certs in order to unlock weapons would be a brilliant metagame. Feels like I’ve been to hell and back.Thank heaven there is Battlefield 3 it sure felt like a huge relief returning to a traditional shooter such as Battlefield 3, where I pay money for a finished product. Not this free to pay monstrosity that is attempting to sucker in the Average Joes money so that they buy a new weapon, yes last point to make, every single base, every single weapon, it all looks exactly the same. What did you expect from a pay to win lazy developer to give you? Better spend your money on a traditional retail game, even Black Ops 2 is money better spent. Never again will I spend money in a free to play cash cow. Expand
  68. Feb 2, 2013
    Oh god when will the bugs end? I've put up with it since release, but I'm done now. After the most recent game update the game has become unplayable for me. I highly regret the money I've spent on this game as things continue to grow worse. In large battles I'm lucky to get 4-10 fps when a month ago I was getting 30-40. I have a Phenom II 960T and a 6870. It's ridiculous.
  69. Jan 29, 2013
    Oh. God. The. Bugs. 2/4 times I have played this the game glitches on respawn, the whole world becomes this half transparent mess were you can no longer see buildings or cover and requires a complete computer restart to fix. When the game does run it still has major problems. I managed to get enough cert points for the longest range sniper scope in the game. Turns out its completely unusable because the world draw distance is shorter then distance the scope zooms to making the scope completely useless. Iv been in fights were I see our teammates dieing, I zoom in on my scope from the rear of the fight and see absolutely nothing. but when I move to the front of the fight suddenly an entire army appears. An army I should have easily been able to see from my elevated snipeing spot behind our lines. Iv played Alpha Builds that had less bugs then this "finished" game. Expand
  70. Jan 29, 2013
    You play for 4 hours to capture or defend a base, next day its lost again. yes the battles are epic but it all seems so pointless. Air dominates, spawn camping gets frustrating. pay 2 win scheme. it was fun for a week but i'll be moving on to games with actual progress
  71. Jan 26, 2013
    This game tries to be a bit of everything, and everything of nothing. The game is mostly over-hyped and doesn't live up to its reputation at all. Frustrating game mechanics make some very weird deaths. Like being killed by your own spawning turret, spawning under a Sunderer (mobile spawn truck) and getting killed by it, or getting killed because your tank couldn't push away a stack of crates. The money mechanics is basically terri-bad. You spend a large sum of "certs" only to unlock a weapon nearly identical to your default in terms of stats and looks.

Battles are somewhat interesting but not rewarding in the slightest sense of the word. Captured bases are only to be found retaken back by the enemy 3 minutes later. The entire continent you play on seems like a big deja vu, every base has the same structural features as the previous one.

All in all, if you come from the Battlefield franchise, you will be very disappointed in the game.
  72. Jan 26, 2013
    John Smedley failed with SWG sinking it into the ground. Within one year he took a game with 1,000,000 copies sold down to nearly 10,000 subscribers still playing, then lied to the public on his failures. Why anyone let him be in charge of Planetside 2 is beyond me..
  73. Jan 26, 2013
    A game should be fun, not a tedious grinding experience. In general it's an abusive environment with absolutely no immersive content. It's filled with hackers and players exploiting the unoptimized engine. There is absolutely no reason to spend any amount of money on this game and certainly is not worth the disk drive space on your PC.
  74. Jan 25, 2013
    Lol at this game "becoming" an esport. The dev's made a terrible decision in this route. The game is far from competitive in the sense that there is absolutely no accomplishment in winning or losing. It is more of a marketing campaign than an actual competitive campaign.
  75. Jan 25, 2013
    Game is broken. Full of cheats and hackers - they can even teleport other players to their death now. Bugs - lots and lots of bugs, like falling through the floor, the ground, gun turrets that sometimes work and sometimes don't. I could sit and list all the bugs in the games, but I just don't care. SOE doesn't care - why should we care.
  76. Jan 24, 2013
    For me, this game is frustrating, not fun, and essentially pointless. I suppose part of the problem is the learning curve. You start out just thrown into the map somewhere, with no clear assistance in figuring out where you should go, what you should do, why you should be doing it, or how to succeed. In my experience, I just ran towards some apparent objective getting murdered over and over again. Either that, or I just ran around the humongous map with no one at all anywhere near me. The whole experience was just terrible. I pored several hours into this, but just couldn't find the motivation to stick it out to see if things would get better. Expand
  77. Jan 21, 2013
    Hackers. Hackers everywhere. Now the new hack added to all the regular ones is to somehow mess with the collision in the game to send you flying from the spawn half way across a continent to fall and die. This game is riddled with bugs and hackers everywhere.
  78. Jan 17, 2013
    Never played PlanetSide but heard wonderful things about it. Gave this a try while seeking something to replace Tribes Ascend. Needless to say the game did not live up to the hype. The gorgeous sprawling environments do not make up for a complete and utter lack of direction as it pertains to basic objectives within the game. Having logged a few hours I can say with reasonable certainty that I have no idea who is on what team, why they're all shooting at each other, or even if we are winning. Confusion of this level is only compounded by the terrible vehicle controls, counterintuitive interfaces at terminals, and frustrating lack of instruction regarding basic class advantages and disadvantages. I have no doubt that all of this will see its way into a future patch (should the game survive long enough) but one has to wonder why PlanetSide 2 was released at all as it is so obviously unfinished. Expand
  79. Jan 17, 2013
    My rig can play all the F2P games with no issues, except for this game. The FPS is so bad I could not be bothered to finish the training level. Optimization for this game is typical for many PC titles very poor as usual.
  80. Jan 16, 2013
    The game is only free to play if your intentions are dying to spawn campers and the constant feel of losing. The game ultimately feels like a massive grind-fest if you do not give into their high priced bonuses and items.
  81. Jan 13, 2013
    I wouldn't bother with this game, but chances are you will try it just due to all the hype.
    Let me start with the main problem with planetside - It is far too graphically demanding. Even some of the top end PC's and gaming laptops struggle to make this game run smoothly and it may cause you to buy better software and still discover the game cannot run. "But wait!" I hear you cry "My PC is
    amazing!" Then go play a far more enjoyable Free to play FPS such as Team Fortress. There is nothing unique about planetside other than its large scale gameplay, and if MAG taught us anything it's that this simply doesn't work. Combat is frantic and guns have no attachment to the player since they all feel generally similar and scenarios often involve two players meeting and the one winning being the one who clicks first. After a while this just gets boring and repetitive.
    Lastly, although it is beneficial for the creators to advertise this game as "Free" it is a micro transaction game, meaning if you really want to get anywhere with it your going to have to fork out.
    To conclude, I'd just say it's shocking how some people would rather play this than decent FPS' like battlefield or Halo.
  82. Jan 12, 2013
    Spawn camping is a major problem and essentially shuts down almost any battle regardless of size. Nobody enjoys being hit by a liberator or tank round the second they leave the spawn. It greatly limits a factions ability to defend a base and makes capping significantly easier. Defending and resecuring bases is punished while attacking is significantly more rewarding. The meta game simply is not rewarding enough or important enough to even convince people to leave Inda. Low population servers. People bailing out of vehicles the second before they explode. (This is something that has just been annoying not really to big a problem) Expand
  83. Jan 9, 2013
    This game looks good; that's about the only good thing about it. There's no backstory or reason why these factions are fighting each other. There's a 30 second intro video and then you get dropped into battle. The first couple hours of me playing was me trying to look for a fight (playing at midnight) and when I did, I instantly got killed. High learning curve. Also, in a fight, you'll mostly be trying to get outside of your base because there's constant spawn camping. I REALLY REALLY tried to enjoy this game, but I couldn't. There's nothing to pull you in. This game isn't necessarily hard; it's more annoying or frustrating. Expand
  84. Jan 7, 2013
    This game had potential, but SoE's pay structure ruined it. Anyone with skill who doesn't want to spend money on the game can't enjoy the game because it's a struggle to level. While children with equally childish player names who spent their allowance on Station Cash sky rocket to level 30+ and then commence to harass anyone with unearned levels. Games with pay structures that affect direct purchase of gear and leveling just don't work and won't last. Expand
  85. Jan 7, 2013
    When I first heard about Planetside2 I was beyond psyched for the release. I was a die-hard fan/junkie/addict of Planetside 1 and the thought of a new, up-to-date version of what I would have considered to be one of the most groundbreaking FPS games of my generation gave me goose bumps. I was fortunate to get into late beta and played for the final 3 weeks of beta through release. I've currently logged well over 300 hours of post release play time.

That being said. I really wanted to like this game. Every time I log into the game I don't think, "this game is so awesome". I think, "Man, I really miss Planetside 1". The truth is that the developers, Sony Online Entertainment, took what was an amazing original game and essentially threw it away. This is NOT a sequel to Planetside 1. It is a dumbed down, watered down, shallow ghost of the original. They managed to turn what was an amazing online shooter with a rich degree of depth and character into little more than a large scale COD-like fragfest with virtually no strategy or depth of play and where everyone is focused on K/D instead of teamwork and strategy. Combine this with massive in-game vehicle and infantry balance issues and the fact that that the development team has very little interaction with the player base and you have a recipe for low population of players on most servers where the term "Massive" is starting to become a bit of a stretch.

Planetside2 was clearly released to market way too soon. The game should have stayed in Beta for at least another 4 months. There are many bugs in the game and way too many balance issues at this time to retain a strong player base. At its core I think its clear that the folks in charge of this title (with such amazing potential) at SOE are the wrong people for the job and are basically steering this title into the ground.
  86. Jan 6, 2013
    Where to even begin? Well, it's buggy, laggy, poorly optimized, and completely imbalanced.

"Oh, it's got it's problems, sure," the other reviews say. "But it's all worth it for the huge glorious battles!" Those don't happen. Sure, you'll have ~100 people one one side of the battle, attacking in a giant convoy of vehicles. And they'll dominate the half a dozen brave souls who try to
    defend, rather than joining their attacking teammates. Who are on another continent. Because enemy numbers are lower there.

See, the whole "huge world" thing sounds good on paper, but in actuality it just encourages most people to take the path of least resistance. Battles are always lopsided, and the attackers always win because they have more people.

Now, ignoring all that, let's assume for the moment that this is actually a good game, rather than a bad game. A good game does deserve to be paid for, even if it's a free-to-play that borders on pay-to-win. However, Planetside 2 goes far beyond pay-to-win; it's more like "pay-a-substantial-amount-to-be-good-at-a-single-class-or-vehicle."

In short: complete garbage with no redeeming characteristics. I have nothing good to say about this game.
  87. Jan 6, 2013
    Hackers are everywhere. So far, I've seen Teleporters, Flash Gordons, Shoots Through Walls Man, Sees Through Walls Man, Magic OSHS(carbine) Engineer/Light Assault Guy, Invincible Man, the classic aimbotter, etc. I really regret spending money on this game considering hacking isn't going away. PS2 doesn't even have any anti-chest software, they ban solely on reports and stats. And sometime it takes a week for someone to get banned. Plus they only IP ban and we all know that isn't going to stop anyone from making a just new account with a different IP. Expand
  88. Jan 6, 2013
    PlanetSide's development team doesn't seem to understand what the game needs anymore, and the wrong people (those bridge-dwelling pieces of feces) seem to be the ones changing the balances to favour themselves.

Once upon a time (Beta) I had faith that this would be an extremely successful game with some optimization that could keep the game from looking like **** on any standard
    non-gaming devoted PC.

I think I started losing that faith when SOE introduced a weak store and jacked up prices. Not to mention that people started to realize that certs were taking way too long to acquire than before. It seemed like the devs' new idea of balance was a system that involved making aspects of the game much too expensive to even bother unlocking for most people. The slow xp gain rate seems to have been made to keep players hooked due to a lack of content.

I understand this is F2P, but doesn't anyone remember when Higby talked about how the gap between grinders/payers and casuals would be removed? Can anyone really say that's the case now? I don't believe so.

It's been nice participating in this game's (d)evolution.
    I wish you well Sony Online Entertainment.
    Perhaps I'll come back when you guys sort your shyte out, but then again, I might come back only to find empty servers and lost potential.
  89. Jan 6, 2013
    - Pay to Win - Endless Grinding for Cert. Points - Takes up a butt-load of Disk Space and Processing Power - Minorly infested with Speedhackers and Aimbots As a new player, the only thing you can do is merely run towards an enemy, kill him if you are lucky, and then die. You rinse and repeat through this process because you mainly can't even see who is friend and who is foe that early into the game. You die yourself through the game.
    Pick a Sniper - you take like 10 shots to kill somebody, while some enemy Sniper just takes one shot to kill you.
    Pick Light Assault - Enemy's Machine Gun is always better and you die like in 2 shots.
    Pick Heavy Assault - Fire a Rocket right next to the Enemy, no damage. Enemy's Rockets are like Atomic Nukes.

Most negative part about the game is of course, IT IS PAY TO WIN.
    All the guns you can get for Cert. Points? Yeah, you can buy them with Cash.

Planetside 2 is a horrible garbage game that has no intention of ever improving and is just merely a cash-cow for Sony.
  90. Jan 5, 2013
    This game is dying. Steam stats show a near 50% decrease in users over the last month. One month ago it read out 19,299 peak Planetside 2 now it reads 11,299 peak Planetside 2. Its obvious as to why all the players are leaving. The game is not worth spending even $15 on. The servers are becoming increasingly smaller and some are just plain out unplayable.
  91. Jan 5, 2013
    So for whatever reason I can run BF3 on nearly high settings, but this game won't even run on the lowest. The devs did not optimize this game very well at all. FTP should also not be the future of PC gaming.
  92. Jan 5, 2013
    This game is dying very fast ... servers had very high population and every map was full of people and epic fight. Now every server is medium to low and only epic fights are on INDAR ( one map). AMERISH is always empty and ESAMIR almost too...
    Faction are very unbalanced and population is another topic... this game has a very bad problems in population and vehicle/weapons balance...

ZERGS.... WTF is this ? If you go with zerg it will be boring and easy mode for noobs.... if you go with small group you will be killed by enemy ZERG :D really?.
    Less and less people play this game every day and this game is all about mass fights with many people. But if this game doesnt have people, it will not have mass fights and everybody will return to BF3/COD ...
    This game will play only fanboys who say as always :" its a great game"... NO IT ISNT.
    This game has a great potentional but if devs dont fix all this problems they will lose a lot of people and money of course.
    I have played this game many many hours and spend a lot of money on it... and I can give you a advice... try it, have some fun and leave it if they will not fix it... DONT SPEND MONEY
  93. Jan 5, 2013
    Soo many hackers. every big battle has atleast one hacker. You can even find live streams of them, it's rediculous. The game feels so bland too, all people do is spawn kill and capture and recapture the same **** all day.
  94. Jan 4, 2013
    Another great idea with poor making. The Beta hum well this is where one works on bugs. Not this group. Gcard driver problems leaves you looking at a white monitor. The makers should have worked with grapic makes for the game. Another BIG thumbs down it Tking in the game........ You wait all day to build up points to get your lets say tank and then some as....whipe kills you. Maybe they should have asked the so called beta testers what they need in a game... TK FORGIVE or TK PUNISH omg really??? So much more but the key points for me. Yeah I even paid for the year thing. Just another good idea but a bad build.. Expand
  95. Jan 3, 2013
    Planetside 2 is essentially an unfinished game that is still in Open Beta and it retains none of the spirit and iconic features and game-play of the original. It is poorly optimized and still has a myriad of bugs, some of which are game-breaking, to put up with. Compounding these issues is the fact that SOE has the gall to charge money for side-grades/ monthly memberships for something that is essentially a COD/Battlefield clone. Also the game-play is repetitive and boring, and as for tactics, the zerg is the meta-game. Its a huge step back from what should have been a huge step forward, especially considering all of Planetside 1's good points, none of which where improved upon/implemented in Planetside 2. My verdict is that PS2 = fail. Expand
  96. Jan 3, 2013
    This game lures everyone in with it's free-to-play style only to force (to stay competitive) the spending of money for "side-grades". Which are really either useless or a significant upgrade to give an advantage over new players. With the lack of good item descriptions or a community wiki the stuff you pay for may or may not be what you expected, not too mention most purchases fair greater than $7.00 which is outrageous. If you were to buy everything in this game you would end up spending nearly $350 doing so. The subscription feature at $15 month is barely worth it as well, you get a priority que, 500SC and some xp and resource boosts. Your money would be better spent on blackjack and hookers.

The game is constantly changing and still feels like a beta. As long as "x" amount of the community complains to Smedley and friends, there tends to be a change in the upcoming patch just for them. The hacking is apparent within the first 10 minutes of jumping into the game. The combination of free-to-play and the ability to simply use throwaway email accounts without the need for any other authentication attracts trolls from all bridges inside the internet.

The worst part of this game? There is barely any story or character development. It's almost as if someone spent an hour at most thinking about the lore and story of this game and decided that's what will be released. There is very little point to the game as well, let me summarize this. Launch game>>pod into somewhere>>farm xp>>farm xp>>farm some more xp>>about a day or two later>>unlock item>>rinse and repeat for months>>unlock all items>> ???. You'll quickly find out (especially in voice chat) how obsessive people become about unlocking the ultravortexcannon3000 for their hoopty that really the only thing that keeps people playing is the need to unlock more and more just to try and be the "best" or have the higher advantage. The game preys on the player's materialistic mindset. No one seems to care about base captures or defending, but rather KDR and just plain out kills and XP. Even capturing an entire continent (somehow the community's self-created climax of the game) feels completely pointless. The developers continue to produce more weapons and items (again "side-grades") to keep the players into the never-ending gotta catch em all mentality. Outfits, or guilds or clans or whatever you want to call them... Yes they can fix some of the above problems, but they can also create some of their own. Most tend to shy away from fun and get a little too serious. You'll find that out quickly when 15 old Billy gets home from the school and and logs into his squad leader account only to turn into a complete power-hungry douche. Billy will then give your squad orders to go defend the bottom corner of the map that hasn't seen action since the release of the game for hours on end. Oh and don't you dare question his authority or he'll make sure to start yelling "clear coms" as he's trying to talk to his dad about what their neglected mother is making for dinner. Who says "clear coms" anyways? "Standby" sounds a million times better and that's coming from someone who works with communications and radio on a day to day basis.

The community for the game as a whole really just tends to complain to oblivion. You can see this by logging into any of the popular message boards and half of any given page will start out with the titles "Suggestion", "Bug", "Why", "When" or "PSA"... Hell look at me, I was part of the community for the last three months and all I do is complain now. Prime example. Good day.
  97. Jan 2, 2013
    Has great potential but the gun play is completely lack luster, the skill ceiling is incredibly low, and if you want to win just get a tank and spawn camp capture points before moving with the zerg to do more of the same, at the same time the other factions will be doing this elsewhere on the map. If the game was less focused on vehicles and more focused on infantry combat then it would be a step in the right direction, but as it stands at the moment the game is fun for about a week then you realise it completely lacks any depth or skill. A shame, I had high hopes for this game. Oh; I also forgot there is no anti-cheat, and if you do get banned you just make a new account and change your ip, that is right they ip ban you, oh dear as if anybody who doesn't drool on themselves can't get past an ip ban :/ Expand
  98. Jan 1, 2013
    Somewhere between boring and frustrating.

The game throws you right into battle without teaching you anything about what sort of objectives you should be doing or what options are available to you. All of the basics are exactly what you would expect, but it takes a while to learn how to change classes, or logically pick a spawn point, or spawn a vehicle, etc. A simple legend would have
    saved me 20 minutes (the amount of time I played before realize that they weren't about to explain anything about they key in-game systems and I had better look them up).

After watching a few of their videos I learned what some of the objectives were, although some things (like how to cloak) I never really found out. I'm not particularly inclined to. MMOFPS sounds fun but the problem is that battles are silly and one sided. You'll spend a bunch of time taking random bases on the front lines with no resistance, and you'll spend time trying frantically to defend a base from overwhelming resistance. How do 3 guys with rocket launchers stop 50 guys with tanks and engineers and invisible snipers? They don't.

It's boring if you're on the team with 50 tanks. It's frustrating if you're on the team with 3 rocket launchers. After 30 minutes of watching tutorial videos and 3 hours of playing I can say with certainty that they need to rethink the MMOFPS concept before it will be able to create engaging gameplay. There are a lot of low points :airplanes can kill new players with impunity (new players literally have no way to kill aircraft until they unlock heat-seeking rockets by paying real world cash or playing for 10 or 20 hours), spawn points are often humorously far from any objectives you care about (2+ minutes), some of the worst graphical glitches I've had in a few years, and long waits for continent switches (you might need to wait 10 minutes to be allowed to spawn on a continent with enemies).

Despite a lot of sloppy unpolished presentation, I'm not sure the concept itself is even valid. I had a little bit of fun running around doing 1v1 at some remote base or being involved in big team on team battles, but that action is few, far between, and still less compelling than any FPS I have played in this generation or any other.

This is easily the most boring game I have played in a decade. If they ever make some basic "quality of life" concessions and find a way to create compelling combat in the MMO genre this might be worth another look, but as it stands I think the game is about as compelling as the Pinocchio game on Super Nintendo.
  99. Dec 24, 2012
    Don't play unless you're willing to shell some real cash, game is a true 'pay to win' game, and is very unbalanced. The game also renders poorly causing enemies to at times vanish or fail to render at all. Planetside is also very crash prone, It will crash at startup, it will crash while in game frequently, and will crash out half your squad at the same time. I've even had the launcher crash continuously forcing a re-install

Short: Don't Play.
  100. Dec 24, 2012
    This game is just amazing. But he is killed by his community. In fact, on my server 85% of Terran use hack. More than, cheat engine is available on all server, it is very stupid and destroy the game. Maybe 1 month for this game if nothing happen...
  101. Apr 12, 2013