PlanetSide 2 PC

7.0

1. Dec 9, 2012
    I love the concept of the game but the implementation is sorely lacking. First and most important for any online game. LAG. The game is just lag ridden. I understand there is always going to be some lag in games but when I can play Battlefield 3 on ultra with no lag, I should at least be able to play PlanetSide 2 on low with no lag. NOPE. It is a great concept, an ongoing war between 3I love the concept of the game but the implementation is sorely lacking. First and most important for any online game. LAG. The game is just lag ridden. I understand there is always going to be some lag in games but when I can play Battlefield 3 on ultra with no lag, I should at least be able to play PlanetSide 2 on low with no lag. NOPE. It is a great concept, an ongoing war between 3 factions. It is like a futuristic ARMA without going overboard on the realism. If not for the lag I would rate the game much higher. As it is, it is almost unplayable if you are interested in actually aiming. Expand
  2. Dec 8, 2012
    (Forewarning; I apologize for the inevitable slaughter of my format by Metacritic, huge walls of text are the only option :c) The PROS:

+The game has the largest battles to be found in any game, ever. Barring very special cases in certain strategy games (Namely, Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance and Total War) you will never see larger battles. It simply dwarves all contemporary games in sheer scale.

+Many of the mechanics from the original game (PlanetSide) have been completely revamped and/or replaced. It is no longer a chore to play. In fact, the gameplay is VASTLY improved, featuring full hitboxes, well-defined class roles and strategic thought simply not present before. Quite simply, its a blast

+The futuristic setting is very interesting visually and audibly. The lighting, draw distances, shadows and SFX are stunning. I especially enjoy when you fight at night, as it is one of the only modern games where the dark of night is... dark. I have a feeling you will enjoy looking at the immense star and moonscapes in awe, they're spectacular.

+ The game is Free to Play! In case you didn't know, "F2P" means "Free to Play"; Huzzuah! + There are three teams per server, as opposed to the regular two-sided fights that are the norm. This introduces an interesting dynamic with three-sided battles. Extremely fun.

+ While the factions share several things in common, notably certain vehicles and the classes, they each have a unique set of strengths and weaknesses that give you incentive to play as all three. While the lore is not particularly strong (This is an MMO after all), I suspect you will choose your first faction based on their backstory. I prefer the Vanu, being a transhumanist scum in real life.

+As goes naturally with the large player counts, the maps are enormous; expect to travel in various gunships and APC's more than on foot when trying to get from place-to-place.

The CONS:

- My primary concern with the game is the system requirements; you will require a very powerful rig to run the game at a level of 30 FPS or higher. Lower-end computers or older ones will have some problems, most notably in the larger battles. I had no problems with this, as I very recently constructed my own computer with high-end parts, but for the majority of people performance will be a factor.

- There are quite a few bugs and glitches int he game as-is; friendly tanks running you over push you into geometry, muzzle flash sometimes continues even when not firing,You spawn from a "slanted" perspective... You know, pretty typical stuff.

- Game-enders; Every now and then, you will have a CATASTROPHIC crash that may require you to disable/reset your router and modem, or at least restart your computer. These are very infrequent (I've had it happen once) but keep this in mind.

-There are some balancing issues, most relating to the MAX quasi-class/mech and to the power of air vehicles/Anti-Air weaponry.

- The "Certification" system in the game allows you to purchase weapons and other gear/perks with in-game experience. You "buy" them with things called "Certs" (Short for certifications) which are earned in gameplay for doing essentially everything. The number of Certs you need to buy some things (Notably weapons) is huge, and you earn them very slowly. I place huge emphasis on "slowly" . You can, optionally, circumvent this problem by directly buying things with real money through microtransactions, or buying a $15/month subscription (Which isn't mandatory in any way!) to increase the rate at which you earn things.

- I mentioned the lighting effects, particle effects and such earlier? Those are great, but the actual TEXTURES in the game are not particularly good, on-par with the industry standard five years ago. This is for the sake of game performance, a necessary evil, but it is still a definite weakness.

-Tutorials are very weak, you are simply thrust into the game for lack of a better term. I suggest watching youtube videos to get a grasp of the game before you play

CONCLUSION:

PlanetSide 2 is FILLED with great times to be had if you have a decent computer, all for the low, low price of $0. Keep in mind the game is somewhat hindered graphically and in terms of performance by the large player counts and huge maps, but simultaneously remember the good vastly outweighs the bad!

It gets an 8/10 - The game is superb with several minor problems and one somewhat big one. I expect the developers will support the game for years to come, so I will likely amend my score to 9/10 in the future as the performance is boosted and the bigs patched. You have nothing to lose by downloading it, just do it!
  3. Dec 8, 2012
    what's wrong with the critics?? this game is painfully dull and pointless. fps on a mmo scale? great idea except for the massive lagg which kills the whole zergfest. even being free this does not worth the bandwidth to download
  4. Dec 7, 2012
    Game is incredible. Ever battle is massive and scales hundreds of players. People giving it low scores have crappy computer or internet. This is the game of the future and requires a decent computer. I have laptop with nividia gforce 200m series graphics card and 6Gs of ram at college and this game runs fine. If you want an awesome game that blows battlefield out of the water ,and makesGame is incredible. Ever battle is massive and scales hundreds of players. People giving it low scores have crappy computer or internet. This is the game of the future and requires a decent computer. I have laptop with nividia gforce 200m series graphics card and 6Gs of ram at college and this game runs fine. If you want an awesome game that blows battlefield out of the water ,and makes call of duty look sad...THIS IS FOR YOU Expand
  5. Dec 7, 2012
    There are some amazing, inventive ideas in this game, its whole brilliant concept being something rarely if ever seen before (except in the previous title in the series, of course). Unfortunately, that sweet center is tucked away inside a crispy shell of pure manure: The actual gameplay is thoroughly rotten. With clumsy, awkward movement and dull, bland gunplay, Planetside 2 is only asThere are some amazing, inventive ideas in this game, its whole brilliant concept being something rarely if ever seen before (except in the previous title in the series, of course). Unfortunately, that sweet center is tucked away inside a crispy shell of pure manure: The actual gameplay is thoroughly rotten. With clumsy, awkward movement and dull, bland gunplay, Planetside 2 is only as good as its weakest link: Not good at all. The amazingly lazy visual design that ensures new players won't have the slightest clue what anything is without looking up in the wiki helps make it even worse. But at least you can buy yourself more hit points and other advantages with cash, right?

Unless you're already a Planetside veteran, or have the patience of a saint and absolutely no money to pay for a real game, don't bother.
  6. Dec 6, 2012
    Well after hours and hours of frustrating gameplay from the beginning of beta to the games launch I can honestly say Planetside 2 is the best continent simulator I've ever played. You don't know thrill until you have driven on a shaky ATV 4000 meters to a frontline only to get instantly killed and repeat the process. My framerate has been consistently bad on this game because it has 0Well after hours and hours of frustrating gameplay from the beginning of beta to the games launch I can honestly say Planetside 2 is the best continent simulator I've ever played. You don't know thrill until you have driven on a shaky ATV 4000 meters to a frontline only to get instantly killed and repeat the process. My framerate has been consistently bad on this game because it has 0 optimization for amd users. They released the game far too early and it is still riddled with strange bugs. I'm afraid this awful piece of crap software is going to melt my computer. I've known about this game for a long time and was a supporter of this amazing idea. Then I got into beta and realized that the devs do not know how to make a game and it's the same pay 2 win style of tribes ascend but with slow agonizing gameplay. At best this game is you charging up a hill and taking out as many of the enemy as you can with a grenade. At worst this is you sitting at a checkpoint trying to capture it for 15 minutes only to get sniped by a sniper who you LITERALLY cannot see because the game hasn't generated them yet because of some bug or something. No wait the worst moment is walking outside a spawn facility and getting shot by the 20 Vanu that are milking the place for kills and having NO way to stop them. Oh wait no the worst part is walking outside and getting killed by an overpowered tank. NO NO the worst part is that the heavy class that kills you in 2 shots after you fire a whole clip into them. WAIT NO the worst part is this game had such amazing potential and failed so badly. Planetside 2 is literally indescribable, it's like a whole new category of crap games. My experience in the beta is that the devs didn't listen and were aiming for a target audience that does not exist. They ignore the veterans, screw the noobs, and pander to the rich. I once stepped on a nail barefoot and had to walk 100 meters over rocky ground. That was a better experience than this game and was more friendly. Maybe if the devs had listened to the intricate 10 page posts some fanatics posted. Maybe if capturing bases wasn't a pain in the a**. Maybe if performance was good. Maybe if everytime I got killed it didn't feel completely unfair.

Listen heres my advice. If you have 10 friends with good gaming rigs and high end processors you should get a hold of them and go play this game with them. Now for the rest of the population. Go play this game to waste your time and see how truly bad it is. If you like getting in a tank dominating for 4 minutes and then waiting 15 minutes to be able to spawn it again than you'll love this game. I give this game a 1 out of 10 because it is a good way to kill an hour when you first download it.
  7. Dec 6, 2012
    PAY TO WIN...YOU ARE WARNED

PAY TO WIN...YOU ARE WARNED

I give this game a 3 out of 10 only because they created a f2p MMOFPS on a massive scale...but that's it. The gameplay feels cheap, the controls feel clunky and the combat is not as exciting as they make it out to be. I agree with a lot of the other reviewers here, most people are being blown away by the sheer size of the game and the fact its f2p. Well, just because a big budget game and f2p, does not make it a 10 out 10 blockbuster game. This game has pay2win all over it. It takes a hell of a long time to earn anything in the game and the teams are horribly unbalanced... every time i log in, my team is pushed back to furthest corner on the map and we have no chance of pushing back. It seems as if most gamer's jump ship to the winning faction and call it a day. For the last two weeks, we have been stuck in the same corner trying to fight our way out and we are not making any progress. If your looking for that next mmo/fps hybrid, look past this one. Great idea, poorly executed. Hey SOE, maybe you should of created some sort of cap or auto balance for the teams. The fact that anybody can join the wining and steam roll the entire map is BS. And why on earth would you make it so hard to actually earn better weapons?? It does not sucker people into buying your premium crap, it turns people away from the game. Look at what GW2 did right and learn from them. I suspect this community if going to die real quick. Especially with the release of Firefall coming soon. You guys need to get over the fact that you can create huge worlds, you need to work on balancing, gameplay mechanics, combat, and..well...just about everything else in the game. Huge worlds do not cut it anymore. The game is boring... FAIL
  8. Dec 6, 2012
    This is the best free FPS I have ever played. If your looking for a shooter and your tired of COD and BF3 you should definitely give this game a try. : )
  9. Dec 6, 2012
    I'd give the game a 7.5 out of 10 just because the game seems rushed and unfinished. It has a lot of potential later on, but I don't see the game doing very well unless they start working hard to fix the numerous problems in the game. From ridiculously poor optimization, bugs, lack of a tutorial, borderline pay2win, no story or lore to dig into for your factions, it makes this game hardI'd give the game a 7.5 out of 10 just because the game seems rushed and unfinished. It has a lot of potential later on, but I don't see the game doing very well unless they start working hard to fix the numerous problems in the game. From ridiculously poor optimization, bugs, lack of a tutorial, borderline pay2win, no story or lore to dig into for your factions, it makes this game hard to recommend to anyone in it's current state. Expand
  10. Dec 6, 2012
    "OMG it has bugs! And my computer sucks!" Seriously? This game is miles ahead of every first person shooter on the market right now and people nitpick it? It has flaws, the render distance needs to be increased and there are a couple of balance issues, and there are aformentioned bugs...... but did I mention its a 3 faction all out war on a miles wide map with hundreds of people?
  11. Dec 6, 2012
    amazing game! best fun you can ever have :)

been playing it for 2 days , very addictive, great graphics, wonderful game play through out.

best online experience I've ever had
  12. Dec 5, 2012
    Casting aside forgiveable minor bugs and unforgiveable CTD-problems, PS2 is fun for some time. The game ultimately fails due to what makes it special: large scale warfare lacks focus. Don´t expect all-out adrenaline experience such as Tribes:Ascend or Battlefield series offer. If some system which attracts all the three factions to compete for the same battlefied objectives at theCasting aside forgiveable minor bugs and unforgiveable CTD-problems, PS2 is fun for some time. The game ultimately fails due to what makes it special: large scale warfare lacks focus. Don´t expect all-out adrenaline experience such as Tribes:Ascend or Battlefield series offer. If some system which attracts all the three factions to compete for the same battlefied objectives at the same time was applied, the atmosphere would rise greatly. Also, the BOs (buildings, locations etc) lack imagination. They should have taken Halo series as model & inspiration, not Supreme Commander. My fav multiplayer scifi-shooter is BF2142. It has less of everything, but its heart is bigger. Expand
  13. Dec 4, 2012
    If you like futuristic FPS with setting in 27th century, somewhere in the space, with unrealistic projectile weapons and unguided missiles like from WW2 then this game will suit your needs. You may even try flying a machine which seems to have an antigravity engine but is controlled like biplane. If you like hugely unbalanced challenge with one side designed to win and one to loose thenIf you like futuristic FPS with setting in 27th century, somewhere in the space, with unrealistic projectile weapons and unguided missiles like from WW2 then this game will suit your needs. You may even try flying a machine which seems to have an antigravity engine but is controlled like biplane. If you like hugely unbalanced challenge with one side designed to win and one to loose then feel free to try it as you really don't have to pay for extra content which gives your opponents extreme boost.

Great concept of MMO FPS and design of the game world are two reasons I give it 2.
  14. Dec 4, 2012
    So.... When I first looked at Planetside2, it was being described as an RTS/FPS, which made me slightly curious how something like that could be pulled off on the scale this game was being done in. Turns out, it's actually just an MMOFPS that takes the MMO part VERY seriously. Really, there are other games out there that call themselves MMOFPS, but aren't on the sort of scale thatSo.... When I first looked at Planetside2, it was being described as an RTS/FPS, which made me slightly curious how something like that could be pulled off on the scale this game was being done in. Turns out, it's actually just an MMOFPS that takes the MMO part VERY seriously. Really, there are other games out there that call themselves MMOFPS, but aren't on the sort of scale that Planetside2 is. That alone was enough to make me want to stick around and play the game, being in a shooter where there aren't arena like battlefields that you have to let load up first, but a persistent world where there is always a battle happen some where that you can just jump right into!

It's a concept I'd never seen done for a shooter before, and I love it! It of course, isn't without a few gripes that I have despite obviously liking this game. To start, the game probably would have been even bigger and more epic if it was made on a megaserver, like how a game such as Eve Online is done, rather than being split up into different regional servers, but that's ultimately just nitpicking compared to my next point. There isn't a tutorial or training mode.

Some people might think this isn't a big deal since it's a shooter, but think about this. Planetside2 has ALOT of things happening in it at all times, and there are a few options you have, even when on foot, that you might not think about being able to do, since most other shooters only ever give you the options of, "walk, run, shoot, throw grenade, use that other thing your carrying". Planetside2 has that, and also adds in, "use the OTHER, other thing your carrying, whip out your squad command gear, oh, and we have other things to so you can practically micromanage your equipment! =D" and it's like that for the vehicles too! Now, that's all fine and dandy, it's always nice when a game gives you options, but if you don't know how to use those options then you've got a problem.

For those out there like myself who had never played the original Planetside, we're going into this totally blind. While it's good that the people running the game went out of their way to make some "training videos" for the game, unless someone actually knows they exist and are looking for them, then it's not going to help them much. From what I understand, the original game had a VR training mode that you could go into any time you wanted to dick around and experiment with what was available to you, so you could get a better feeling for the game, so why doesn't Planetside2 have this? What was so hard about putting the VR system in the new game? I proved a quick study for this game and was able to get down almost everything it had for features, but there are still people in the game that are as clueless as I was going in, and questions that in most other MMO style games that would be common sense and immediately flamed if asked, I can't really fault anyone for asking in this since the game tells you nothing about what you can do. It needs some kind of training mode... BADLY.

My other gripe is that I'd heard there would be some kind of mission system for the game to make the gameplay more diverse. Again, awesome thing! So... Where is it Planetside2? As much as I enjoy running raids against enemy buildings, or running defense against a raid on one of the buildings my people control, that can only hold my attention for a couple hours at a time at most without something more varied to do when the straight up combat isn't something I want to dive into. No recon work? Patrol missions? Escorts? Nothing? I don't know for sure if what I heard is true, but that is something I really want to see happen for Planetside2 as well.

My gripes about it aside though, this game has proven itself capable of impressing me with what it does have, and since the game is an MMO, it can stand to reason the some of the things I've heard will be in the game, or things that the game needs, will be put in at a later date, so for now, I'll have my fingers crossed that it will happen, and just enjoy the mayhem that presently exists.
  15. Dec 4, 2012
    An MMO-shooter, which is good concept, but needs to be thought out more. Imagine playing WoW, but instead of starting at lvl 1 and going through questing zones and learning your class, you start at lvl 20, and are dropped into BattleGrounds and told "figure it out" while all the veterans farm you for points. And this is the beginning, middle, and end of the game. I played this game forAn MMO-shooter, which is good concept, but needs to be thought out more. Imagine playing WoW, but instead of starting at lvl 1 and going through questing zones and learning your class, you start at lvl 20, and are dropped into BattleGrounds and told "figure it out" while all the veterans farm you for points. And this is the beginning, middle, and end of the game. I played this game for about 4-5 hours, disliking it the whole time, but I assumed that I just hadn't found the delicious chocolate center inside this harsh, unwelcoming game. But once I realized that there was no such center, I stopped playing. So try it, it's free, but you better play with friends on skype/vent who know what's going on, or you'll be lost, confused, and free food for all the other people on skype/vent. Expand
  16. Dec 4, 2012
    As of now, i have played it for about 6-7 hours. I like the graphics, i like the big maps. What i dont like is the gameplay and the difficulty. I was trown into the game with absolutely NO idea what to do. I ran around trying to find people to shoot, did not find anyone because i did not even know where my teammates where. When i finally found someone to kill, i got some points andAs of now, i have played it for about 6-7 hours. I like the graphics, i like the big maps. What i dont like is the gameplay and the difficulty. I was trown into the game with absolutely NO idea what to do. I ran around trying to find people to shoot, did not find anyone because i did not even know where my teammates where. When i finally found someone to kill, i got some points and immidiatly went to buy and air vehicle, which took me about 10 minutes to find a place to buy it, and then crash into the ground a second later. Overall, i like the idea, but the fact that it is so very hard to know what to do, i found a game that just trew me into the unknown Expand
  17. Dec 3, 2012
    Let my start by saying that if you don't like this game, you suck, PS2 is the best F2P FPS I have ever played in my life. Even a lone wolf could destroy with a sniper and some creativity, best of all you can not camp or cheat. Sony also does not seem to have any reason to make this game pay to win and so far, none of the paid unlocks are really that good. Its a well rounded game thatLet my start by saying that if you don't like this game, you suck, PS2 is the best F2P FPS I have ever played in my life. Even a lone wolf could destroy with a sniper and some creativity, best of all you can not camp or cheat. Sony also does not seem to have any reason to make this game pay to win and so far, none of the paid unlocks are really that good. Its a well rounded game that destroys its competition with its new ideal and MMO style. Great fun for all players. Expand
  18. Dec 3, 2012
    I read the first negative review I saw (from bi0mech81) and quite frankly everything the said has no bearing... Im sorry your terrible at playing a average difficulty FPS/MMO but the game cant help you there. Snipers are not a real problem, go heavy and thrown on a shield expose them and kill them. Tanks are what they are for power... they cost an ingame currency to buy to keep playersI read the first negative review I saw (from bi0mech81) and quite frankly everything the said has no bearing... Im sorry your terrible at playing a average difficulty FPS/MMO but the game cant help you there. Snipers are not a real problem, go heavy and thrown on a shield expose them and kill them. Tanks are what they are for power... they cost an ingame currency to buy to keep players from repeatedly spawning tanks to use. If you spawn in the middle of tank fight as a new person, SPAWN ELSEWHERE since it is actually impossible to have a spawn point ONLY in a battle as every team has a "safe zone" area so you cant be "pushed off" the map. This game is HUGE with thousands of players in a map, if a medic could heal a heavy and keep him alive under fire the game would be incredibly imbalanced. As a medic healing will ALWAYS get you xp if you sustain it to do the other player any good just flashing them a quick heal with your heal gun doesnt help them and hence wont reward you. When I started this game I did spawn into a battle and died a few times but quickly figured most things out. To start my game I went with a heavy player since they have a large clip and a shield to further increase tanking ability. The game is incredibly fun and open, the weapon/armor/vehicles can all be customized with different attachment etc to a depth even better than battlefield. There is a learning curve, it took me probably 3 hours or so to get all of the major gameplay aspects down and I would consider myself an average FPS guy, far from expert. Part of the beauty of a game like this is the sheer numbers required to make big differences in the game, sometimes in a large battle you will get killed with little you can do to prevent it (save hiding) just due to the number of crosshairs pointing back at your large group of soldiers assaulting a particular location. No single player of any skill level can capture a defended zone by himself because the game is so big everything significant will require a sustained effort from many individuals and that makes this game a hell of alot of fun in my opinion. Expand
  19. Dec 3, 2012
    Incredibly beautiful and breathtaking game. The map designs are brilliant. At the moment there are only 3 maps (continents) but each of them are huge. You never feel it getting monotonous or boring unlike BF3 or other modern military shooters. The Dev's have put a lot of thought into the design of this game and at no point do you feel its aspects being unbalanced. Every tank zerg or airIncredibly beautiful and breathtaking game. The map designs are brilliant. At the moment there are only 3 maps (continents) but each of them are huge. You never feel it getting monotonous or boring unlike BF3 or other modern military shooters. The Dev's have put a lot of thought into the design of this game and at no point do you feel its aspects being unbalanced. Every tank zerg or air brigade can be countered with a little bit of team work. The only criticism would be its current level of optimization and slow certification progress, which the devs are working on. Again, unlike said mms shooters devs, these guys have listened to the community and changed a lots of aspects of the game for the better since beta. You can play this game by yourself and appreciate its beauty as the day night cycles go on but it truly shines when you are playing with a group of friends or with a platoon of people working together. Highly recommend watching some tutorials on youtube though as it can be confusing for completely new players. Once you get the hang of it though you will enjoy this game immensely. Expand
  20. Dec 3, 2012
    This game is EPIC, massive battles, medium and small skirmishes in 3 different continents. If you liked any of the Battlefield saga games you will love this one. It takes some time to get used to the mechanics of the game but now there are hundreds of videos showing the basic features/gameplay.. The game gains a lot if you play it along with some friends, up to 12 players in 1 squad. YouThis game is EPIC, massive battles, medium and small skirmishes in 3 different continents. If you liked any of the Battlefield saga games you will love this one. It takes some time to get used to the mechanics of the game but now there are hundreds of videos showing the basic features/gameplay.. The game gains a lot if you play it along with some friends, up to 12 players in 1 squad. You can join 4 squads to create a platoon so there's enough room for everyone. The unlock system it's a little bit slow, so it's important which upgrades/unlocks you pick, decide carefully. The game requires a good connection and a decent pc. Probably one of the best shooters of the year. Expand
  21. Dec 3, 2012
    Not the best performance but iam sure they fix it later. The graphic is ok the landscape is acceptable. After 10h of playing Planetside 2 its not a game i can play every day. Its a Battlefield 3 in the future with more players, up 2000 players on one map. There is a great reward-system so you get much thinks to unlock. And its also Free to Play. Just test this game its worth.
  22. Dec 3, 2012
    Incredibly addictive. Just as I thought I'd finally "grown up" and stopped playing PC games for good, Planetside 2 comes out and I find myself completely immersed in the gameplay. This game takes advantage of my decent PC hardware, so I am able to max out all settings and WOW the game really does look incredibly beautiful. At night, playing as Vanu, I see my empire mates' tank shells flyIncredibly addictive. Just as I thought I'd finally "grown up" and stopped playing PC games for good, Planetside 2 comes out and I find myself completely immersed in the gameplay. This game takes advantage of my decent PC hardware, so I am able to max out all settings and WOW the game really does look incredibly beautiful. At night, playing as Vanu, I see my empire mates' tank shells fly and they cast a blinding bright light that itself casts shadows as it wheezes by. I do have a deep concern about this game, though, which is why I've lowered my score from 10 to 8. It's addictive today, it'll be addictive tomorrow, .. but unlike some other sci-fi MMOs like, say, EVE Online, Planetside 2 really has absolutely no depth. There's no point in the chaotic fighting, except to just fight. After seeing my empire capture entire continents now four or five times since the game's launch (this review comes just a week or to after launch) I'm certain I'm going to get bored by the fact that there really is no point. Capturing a continent gets you bonus spending "money" for vehicles and aircraft, but there's no other real point. There's certainly no real story; I've come across a couple hack story ideas (some from Sony) on forums and blogs but there really is no story within the game, you're just out there fighting and respawning, ad nauseum.

There's also no real point in which empire you choose other than favorite music and colors. They're all pretty much the same. Oh, there are variations in vehicle speeds and power, but Sony played it very safe here on the balancing act and trying to keep all factions equal.

The shooter side of the game is solid, if sometimes a little bit plastic. Usually not, but sometimes I feel like I'm using a toy gun from Wal-mart. Sometimes the sound is weak and damage effect is light. The sniper rifle and the shotgun, for example, have no oomph, I suppose the sound engineers must not have very good speakers because I have studio monitors and these feel thin.

Overall, this is a fun game and being free it's definitely worth a shot. I would compare it best to Tribes: Ascend but on a much, much larger map scale in a persistent universe of equally absent meaning.
  23. Dec 2, 2012
    This game is massively overrated, this game is rushed as hell, giving the devs less time to weave out the massive imbalances and bugs. The RPGs are equivalent to Nerf Water guns, the Max is unfair to play as and against, players are complete **** it's just a mess. Though the maps are nice, and what is does well, it does really well, not to mention it's a guilty pleasure.
  24. Dec 2, 2012
    Pros:
    - Beautiful graphics
    - Vehicles CONS = - No win condition. You fight over bases for Cert points. There's no other point. It seems like the whole game revolves around high Cert prices for items so players will be enticed to spend Station Cash on items instead. - Persistence does not matter. The game play is thus: Merry-Go-Round, Whack-A-Mole. It's like logging into a round of
    Pros:
    - Beautiful graphics
    - Vehicles

- Persistence does not matter. The game play is thus: Merry-Go-Round, Whack-A-Mole. It's like logging into a round of BF3 Conquest with an Infinite score limit.
    - Sluggish weapon feel. There isn't any crispness here. If you're used to CS, COD, or BF, prepared to be disappointed.
    - Abysmal base design. Bases are indefensible and are designed as simple TDM maps with a few Sabotage elements.
    - Unoptimized. ATI users suffer the most.
    - Boring and unappealing weapon unlocks. While listed as specific weapons most are copy/paste with a slight variation in stats and change to allowed accessories or firing modes. I.E.: Gun1 has burst, Gun2 has full auto.
  25. Dec 2, 2012
    Sorry but having to pay $7 for a single weapon for a single class that doesn't even look unique but is only a complete copy design-wise just isn't acceptable.
  26. Dec 2, 2012
    It is a shame that it is released too quickly, you can definitely spot a lot of thing that are wrong with the game at this point, but whatever the case, i feel like this game deserves to do well, i wasn't sure if an FPS and MMO mixed together would work, but i was luckily very wrong, it's so good,
  27. Dec 2, 2012
    Planetside 2 is an ambitious FPS. Unfortunately it suffers from a high system requirements (don't even bother unless you have a 64 bit OS), laggy servers and unfriendly user interface. The lack of tutorials will hobble new players and the demanding system requirements will hamper your gameplay. If you do have a 64 bit OS on the other hand, it is fun...when the servers work. If you have aPlanetside 2 is an ambitious FPS. Unfortunately it suffers from a high system requirements (don't even bother unless you have a 64 bit OS), laggy servers and unfriendly user interface. The lack of tutorials will hobble new players and the demanding system requirements will hamper your gameplay. If you do have a 64 bit OS on the other hand, it is fun...when the servers work. If you have a 32 bit OS, avoid. Expand
  28. Dec 1, 2012
    I had low expectations for this game because it was free to play. First impressions were 'damn this is hard...'. There's a steep learning curve and no tutorial as such, just jump in and fight to survive. And I died a lot. My next reaction was the indoor environments are kinda bland, although outdoors it's quite picturesque. I reckon I need better graphics card than the GTX 260 SLI I haveI had low expectations for this game because it was free to play. First impressions were 'damn this is hard...'. There's a steep learning curve and no tutorial as such, just jump in and fight to survive. And I died a lot. My next reaction was the indoor environments are kinda bland, although outdoors it's quite picturesque. I reckon I need better graphics card than the GTX 260 SLI I have to enjoy this game. Another thing is that there is no engaging storyline that I've grown to expect from these sort of FPS games. You are just dropped into the action and left to deal with it. However where this game outstrips every other sort of FPS in terms of scale. The maps are huge and battles can involve 2 to 100 individual units, from infantry to heavy armour, to air all in the scene at once. This is a phenomenal technical achievement. Additionally the squad command facilities are better than those I've seen in previous games. As a result stories form organically, and battle scenes that would be scripted in a COD game, evolve in Planetside out of the natural process where a group of humans have to complete an objective, defined by their platoon leader, like defend a base or capture a point. There's massive potential here for more to explored in terms of player coordinated squad based gameplay and Planetside has barely scratched the surface but has given us a taste of what things could be like. Expand
  29. Dec 1, 2012
    The first few hours you play this game, you'll most likely be very frustrated. Once you figure out where things are, and how the world works. You'll have a great time, and It's unbelievable how well this game handles mass scale battles (300+ people in a small area).

Getting is a squad/platoon of people who actually communicates, and work together, can make for some insanely fun online times.
  30. Dec 1, 2012
    Planetside 2 has epic scale. It is great for team play so I would recommend looking for an outfit. It has lots of potential and will grow as a game. There is no pay 2 win, as other have suggested, as all weapons can be purchased with XP. As such, the cash shop allows people to get stuff faster. Graphics are nice for an MMO and they are pro-actively fixing bugs which are only minor.
  31. Dec 1, 2012
    Frustrating and not fun describes my initial reaction to this game. First and foremost is the learning curve. from the start you spawn in the middle of a fight with nothing telling you what your objectives are, or even where your teammates are. Should you be unfortunate enough to spawn in the middle of a tank fight (as was my first experience) you feel helpless as you die, respawn, and dieFrustrating and not fun describes my initial reaction to this game. First and foremost is the learning curve. from the start you spawn in the middle of a fight with nothing telling you what your objectives are, or even where your teammates are. Should you be unfortunate enough to spawn in the middle of a tank fight (as was my first experience) you feel helpless as you die, respawn, and die again as soon as you respawn. An in-game "Newbie" area, some kind of zone where you go only when you first start a character would be greatly appreciated as throughout my first hour of gameplay I was consistantly pitted against players of level 38 or higher. The extremely large playing area makes snipers and tanks gods on the ground. I have not been able to fly any of the aircraft, yet because everytime I spawn an air vehicle it is destroyed immediately. I'm not an avid FPS player by any stretch of the means- I grew up on Doom, Quake, and UT, and I manage about a 1:1 Kill to death ratio in CoD, and tend to play support roles in TF2. On average I have 2 kills and over 50 deaths in planet side due to spawn camping. spawning at a point that is distant from the battle just means I get to run for 10 minutes to die from a sniper that I can't see. Playing a supporting role in PS2 is down right rage-inducing. Healing a friendly player may or may not reward XP, and unlike TF2, you cannot heal a heavy to keep them up while they sustain gunfire. Reviving fallen players is fairly pointless unless they died less than 2 seconds in front of you. The Engineer's turret is too inaccurate for the distances at which forces are regularly engaged in. The tanks are done well- and in many cases are over-powered. many of the bases are designed so you can just snipe away at the enemy generator with your tank and destroy it without worry of being engaged by the defenders. Running over your own teammates results in a suicide for them, and no penalty for yourself- great if you just want to troll your own team, as is often the case. What this game direly needs is level segregation of some form- whether it's designated levels for zones where as you out level the zone you do less damage, or you cannot respawn into a zone you are out leveled for, something needs to give a new player some fudge-factor to learn how the game works besides dropping you straight into a fight that you are grossly under leveled for. Expand
  32. Dec 1, 2012
    Okay, for a free to play its a masterpiece, but thats not saying anything now is it. Lets see here, its a bit of a free to play, the physics are BLEH (First time I bought a tank... i moved 3 feet, then fell out the world, and a few other players did the same). The gameplay consists mainly of finding where the action is, and when you find it, the game starts to open up and you see theOkay, for a free to play its a masterpiece, but thats not saying anything now is it. Lets see here, its a bit of a free to play, the physics are BLEH (First time I bought a tank... i moved 3 feet, then fell out the world, and a few other players did the same). The gameplay consists mainly of finding where the action is, and when you find it, the game starts to open up and you see the beautiful flour that is Plantside 2, and it is beautiful. But when the action stops, you notice what a smelly flour the game is. The UI is complicated like all F2Ps, the flight controls are dumbed down, the exact opposite of a simulator, meaning your jet (that looks like a box with jet engines on the side of them) flys tight, so tight that it makes flying boring and dull. I did say the graphics are good, but the textures are bad when you look at them closely. The world is large, true, but its filled with nothing besides a few out posts and 3 massive structures for the main spawn. While we are on the spawn, spawn camping is a bit of a problem, you can have a firing squad outside your spawn and you cant do much about it besides pushing and grinding your way past. And while we are on grinding... this game is a grinding simulator, you need to spend hours and hours just to get a scope for your **** weapon. The bolt action sniper rifle is a 2 hit kill... whats wrong with that you might ask? Simple, it takes about 3 seconds to rechamber a round, and by then your opponent will be behind cover, rendering the rifle relativly useless for the player jumping into the game. This game deserves a 6. What the game can improve on is the physics, balancing, and optimization. My 7970 can run bf3 on ultra and have an average of 60 fps. In this I get an average of 50 on high... if I put everything on low... I get 53... so it needs tweaking. Go play it since its free, there really isnt anything interesting holding you there besides waiting for the next epic battle so you can watch your frames plumit Expand
  33. Dec 1, 2012
    Planetside 2 falls short of Planetside 1 in about every category, but it's still a lot of fun and the best recent shooter out there. Be advised it's poorly optimized at the moment with some netcode issues, but hopefully when those are ironed out it will be fun for everyone.

Their customer service team is responsive and fast. Haven't run into any obvious hackers yet.
  34. Dec 1, 2012
    This game is far from being completed and will likely be added to for years. What they have already is amazing, and they are constantly patching and adding more stuff. If you are not working with a group, the game is not the same honestly. If you have a full platoon of 48 people all working together? Oh my god the feeling is unmatched. The feeling of turning the tide of a major battleThis game is far from being completed and will likely be added to for years. What they have already is amazing, and they are constantly patching and adding more stuff. If you are not working with a group, the game is not the same honestly. If you have a full platoon of 48 people all working together? Oh my god the feeling is unmatched. The feeling of turning the tide of a major battle involving hundreds of players? It is amazing! Orders are given and things get done and it is one of the most rewarding feelings I have ever had in any game ever. The game still needs a ton of work, but it is getting better daily. It is also free to play so really, there is no reason not to try it. Expand
  35. Nov 30, 2012
    I'm giving this game a 10 to counter balance all the scorers who have given it a 0 cause their machines suck. That being said in reality this game is a solid 8, it has its faults, and can be glitchy at times, but if you are an FPS fan you will get an experience in PS2 that no other game in this generation will be able to touch. It is also NOT pay to win, some the the upgrades in theI'm giving this game a 10 to counter balance all the scorers who have given it a 0 cause their machines suck. That being said in reality this game is a solid 8, it has its faults, and can be glitchy at times, but if you are an FPS fan you will get an experience in PS2 that no other game in this generation will be able to touch. It is also NOT pay to win, some the the upgrades in the planes may be a little OP or need a tune, but this isn't anywhere close to being pay to win, so Ignore those idiots as well. Plus how can you give a 0 to something that is FREAKING FREE! Expand
  36. Nov 29, 2012
    This game is amazing, the environment, the vehicles, the battle, just everything is great. I am not going to say that the game is perfect, but it is pretty friggin' close. You do have to have a semi decent machine to run it at a decent frame rate, but you do not need the newest tech out there. Of course there are still some bugs, but one can easily overlook them when in the heat of aThis game is amazing, the environment, the vehicles, the battle, just everything is great. I am not going to say that the game is perfect, but it is pretty friggin' close. You do have to have a semi decent machine to run it at a decent frame rate, but you do not need the newest tech out there. Of course there are still some bugs, but one can easily overlook them when in the heat of a massive, and i do mean truly massive, battle. I love this game, since it is free to play, I would say at least give it a shot. Expand
  37. Nov 29, 2012
    The game is phenomenal. Its restored my faith in MMOs. There's nothing quite like shooting at a rational target for a change over NPC mobs with deterministic AIs. Player driven content is the future.
  38. Nov 29, 2012
    In my opinion this is what Battlefield should have aspired to be. This is a multiplayer FPS that goes beyond your normal COD rip off. The game is huge but navigable, the classes are fun to play and you actually feel like you are taking part in a real war not put in a sand box arena for 20 minutes to shot at each other. Other developers should take note, this is the future of FPS. AndIn my opinion this is what Battlefield should have aspired to be. This is a multiplayer FPS that goes beyond your normal COD rip off. The game is huge but navigable, the classes are fun to play and you actually feel like you are taking part in a real war not put in a sand box arena for 20 minutes to shot at each other. Other developers should take note, this is the future of FPS. And as an added bonus its FREE (which actually bumped my review score up). The game isn't perfect. There should be a system where more experienced players get to allocate objectives for platoons and squads to follow with incentives for people to follow them, I've kind of been spoiled by MAG in this respects and miss it in all games now, but the shear scale and confusing nature of capture points in this game actually warrants some kind of top down, overall control. I can see the game getting a bit stale after playing for a long time, especially after maxing out all the upgrades, so I hope to see some updates in the future (new weapons, classes, vehicles etc). I might even be prepared to pay for them. Expand
  39. Nov 29, 2012
    Many other reviews will have more detail on the maps (huge), lack of goals (none), mouse sensitivity (need a gamepad or game-mouse, standard mouse will be too sensitive), graphics (high settings for me, looks fine, the grey-blue hue planet is not great, I much prefer the green/desert one, but not bad either way, would prefer forests and lakes myself for a smaller map size). And it has toMany other reviews will have more detail on the maps (huge), lack of goals (none), mouse sensitivity (need a gamepad or game-mouse, standard mouse will be too sensitive), graphics (high settings for me, looks fine, the grey-blue hue planet is not great, I much prefer the green/desert one, but not bad either way, would prefer forests and lakes myself for a smaller map size). And it has to get a 6 simply because it is free to play, and is fun for an hour or 2 at a time. Although it is free, in actuality you will need to spend money to do well at it, or be prepared to grind for days and days to get upgrades. The question is, I've paid for items in other MMOs, so would I pay for anything here? No, not at this time. If a future version came out that had the following, I would, but for now, it's the lack of these the make the game passive only: 1) Goal setting on a map scale. For example, an omnipresent general says I need 10 teams of 10 players to take this goal now, hit X to join. Once you start, the opposite omnipresent general tells his side, I need all players in sector N to close up and defend this point. This goal quest is every 15 minutes or so per sector. If I want a war feel, that means including generals making and delivering orders. 2) A fixed price that gets me everything, even if I have to build up XP in a reasonable time to unlock it all. 3) Smaller but more beautiful scenery. 4) Better MMO guild and team management, perhaps outside of the battle. 5) Better backstory. Whilst logging in, show the overall faction stats, what can be done next to increase faction reputation, how many are doing it, and how to join. (for example, if we take sector X, we get a 5% bonus to blah). 6) lastly, Item upgrades for XP and for how many specific quests (points 1 & 5) you join. With all these, I think we'd have a great game that I would pay for, but for now, I'll enjoy my f2p hour a day. Expand
  40. Nov 29, 2012
    I love it in every single way, the maps are beautiful, the factions are balanced, the scale is massive, and it requires more than just a quick trigger finger to be good at. I've only played for a few hours and it's all been massively entertaining. If there's any game I would've wanted for Christmas, it would have been this, but it's free.

However, there are still a lot of glitches,

However, there are still a lot of glitches, especially clipping after death animations, and even sometimes falling through the map. Also, the fact that only one person can drive a vehicle is slightly aggravating, especially when your teammate is an idiot......

But Why am I complaining? IT'S FREEEEEEEEEEEE
  41. Nov 29, 2012
    Huge scale battles and absolutely no game crashes or bugs. Huge scale battles and absolutely no game crashes or bugs. Huge scale battles and absolutely no game crashes or bugs. Huge scale battles and absolutely no game crashes or bugs. Huge scale battles and absolutely no game crashes or bugs. Huge scale battles and absolutely no game crashes or bugs.
  42. Nov 29, 2012
    This is a great concept. poorly implemented. Pay to win feel but that's typical of F2P shooters. Biggest complaint is that battles are too large. Great idea in large scale battles, but cutting the maps into a 4th of their size would make combat more consistent. Instead you get a long period of firefights followed by monotonous base capturing without resistance because the other team is offThis is a great concept. poorly implemented. Pay to win feel but that's typical of F2P shooters. Biggest complaint is that battles are too large. Great idea in large scale battles, but cutting the maps into a 4th of their size would make combat more consistent. Instead you get a long period of firefights followed by monotonous base capturing without resistance because the other team is off doing something else. Capturing bases also feels way too long sometimes, my whole team stood at an enemy free base to capture it. Took 15mins of us standing around. The shooter mechanics are cool, but some of the classes feel strange. Only the heavy assault and medic feels right, all the others feel underpowered and the Max is way too beefy. Definitely worth a try, and I love how ambitious the developers were. Still, Blacklight and even Tribes:Ascend are better, albeit less original, F2P FPS games. Expand
  43. Nov 28, 2012
    If you are a new player, go google some tutorials and look on the website before hopping into the action.

Now, Planetside 2 is an AMAZING MMOFPS IF you have the machine to run it, if not, then I feel bad because you are missing the most wonderful modern gaming experience today. Even if playing alone, the breathtaking large-scale battles are extremely enjoyable to participate in, and the customization allows you to modify your character to your own playstyle. DOWNLOAD NOW
  44. Nov 28, 2012
    Planetside 2 is a game that showed great promise. 2000 player servers in a FPS game seems too good to be true, and this game appears to have done just that. However, once past the first impression, you cant really ignore the game's problems. Unbearable fps (15 fps on a gaming rig, really?) means you will be looking at a slideshow most of the time. Terrible balance, 50 vs 5 players isPlanetside 2 is a game that showed great promise. 2000 player servers in a FPS game seems too good to be true, and this game appears to have done just that. However, once past the first impression, you cant really ignore the game's problems. Unbearable fps (15 fps on a gaming rig, really?) means you will be looking at a slideshow most of the time. Terrible balance, 50 vs 5 players is common here. The spawn rooms seem just thrown on the map, and many times only one exist which means it will be well camped. They also seem to be designed to be easily camped. Sometimes the spawn place will be so far from any place of tactical value, that defending a base is virtually impossible. Even something as simple as the colours can work against you here. The game's bluish buildings means the blue and violet teams are well camouflaged compared with the red team, which in addition has a lot of red minimap icons obscuring the (wait for it) red enemy indicators. But ultimately it is the lack of reward that ruins this game for me. When waiting 10 minutes to capture a region with seemingly no enemy players whatsoever , I can't help to feel bored and useless, because , after all, I am. The game does not reward teamplay, it is not balanced when it comes to vehicles, it is not balanced map-wise,It runs worse then the latest games with much, much worse graphics, it is full of bugs, and it takes a very, very long time to do anything useful, or fun, or, most of the time, neither. As one PS2 developer put it, when talking about the game's poor framerate: "If you hear someone saying it's easy, have them show you their game with hundreds of people and dozens of vehicles within a single 100 meter firefight. I'd happily accept their advice. *grin* ". Expand
  45. Nov 28, 2012
    Its a great game and I would recommend it to any of my friends looking for a good fps to play.

The game has its fair share of bugs and problems but most should be fixed soon seeing as the game hasn't even been out for a month yet. Once you get started in the game and find a good outfit you'll find yourself sinking hours and hours of time into this game.
  46. Nov 28, 2012
    Key points ~ It's a shooter, and a persistent world. You can play any class at any time and optimize as you see fit . It has ground vehicle/infantry/aircraft mixture. It is a strategy game, caveat being it's largely MMO shooter based .. so can tend be be fairly random as to it's nature. Sometimes this emergence is fun, sometimes it's frustrating and defeating.

This is not a pay to win

This is not a pay to win game. This is not a free to play game either in a sense of fairness, there are basic weapons you will want to buy.

this is a grind game, so in the initial start for instance very few .. very very few have even optimized a single class the way they see fit. You have to grindand even a scope may take you a couple hours to work toward. Advatage unanimously goes to the game whales, this means people paying money will be better off buying farmed characters than paying for gold (I don't recommend either the game is actually fun). The most disconcerting thing in this game is the sheer rockface of farming that ust happen to achieve, it is likely to create a very selective player base .. which has nothng to do with "what" type of game they prefer .. but what a couple hoursof your freetime a night will profit an average player.

This game is a descendent of tanarus and then planetside 1 both of which came out over 10 years ago.
    The strategy and fun is still there even while farming for weapon upgrades ect. But the whales will have a significant advantage maybe 20% over the new guy .

I give this game an 7- 8 (going with 8 for now under benefit of doubt) for 2 reasons mainly ~ too many indistinguishable hacks/glitches, and 2 much farming. Otherwise I would give this game a 9 for it's creative / sandboxy feel and gameplay. This is also a very difficult game, in the sense a new player is going to have a rough time trying to get their feet in~ which is fine. But because it's bot farmy and difficult I think 2 strikes will not attract new players .. but rather only game abuses.
  47. Nov 28, 2012
    Planetside 2 is truly a groundbreaking idea - however the current state of the game could be better described as open beta rather than a final release. Although the game is extremely fun in the odd chance it is running without problems you will often find yourself frustrated with extremely buggy gameplay, a horrid framerate, and unstable servers. You will find your jet packs not working,Planetside 2 is truly a groundbreaking idea - however the current state of the game could be better described as open beta rather than a final release. Although the game is extremely fun in the odd chance it is running without problems you will often find yourself frustrated with extremely buggy gameplay, a horrid framerate, and unstable servers. You will find your jet packs not working, or you will find yourself dying from taking an innocent boost to a landing pad, or nobody will be moving and you will get shot through walls due to lag and extrapolation, or you will find tanks floating in mid air, or your VOIP won't work like it does not work for a big population of players, or you will find your current generation super computer can't pull more than 20fps in big battles. With all these problems this game does not deserve a positive score, no matter how much I would like to give it one.

I will revisit this review in two months by when hopefully this game will leave the open beta stage.
  48. Nov 28, 2012
    I have no clue what people are talking about this is the best f2p game of all time no questions asked. Play it on a decent pc then come back complaining. There are no lag or bugs or whatnot people are complaining about.
  49. Nov 28, 2012
    Large battles featuring up to 2000 players per continent and is a complete blast, never had so much fun with an online FPS in my whole gaming-life PlanetSide 2 is awesometacular
  50. Nov 28, 2012
    It's fun. But be warned: you need a RIG to play this. On low settings with a good PC you'll still be at 20-30 fps. If your PC is outdated don't bother. The minimum requirements for this are not even close. ...As far as the game, It's just TDM. There's nothing really epic about it. --It'll feel epic at first. Give it a week though.
  51. Nov 28, 2012
    Game is basically chinese grind fest. Amount playtime required to unlock even crappiest upgrades is horrendous. Game lacks auto balance, anti-cheat software and has somewhat unbalanced factions. In servers 3 sides means 1 is getting ass handed by 2 factions. So even when you get exp bonus those are worthless experience is not equivalent to bonuses you get by controlling large area of map.Game is basically chinese grind fest. Amount playtime required to unlock even crappiest upgrades is horrendous. Game lacks auto balance, anti-cheat software and has somewhat unbalanced factions. In servers 3 sides means 1 is getting ass handed by 2 factions. So even when you get exp bonus those are worthless experience is not equivalent to bonuses you get by controlling large area of map. Game is just ripoff from working first person shooters like battlefields doesn't really add anything new to genre. Expand
  52. Nov 28, 2012
    I hate it when I see people try to compare games like this to black ops or halo. We live in an age where people want to be great at a game from the start, instead of investing time into a game that requires some skill. I wonder what these people would have rated such classic games such as Team Fortress Classic, which had such a high skill curve that beginners would be demolished for aI hate it when I see people try to compare games like this to black ops or halo. We live in an age where people want to be great at a game from the start, instead of investing time into a game that requires some skill. I wonder what these people would have rated such classic games such as Team Fortress Classic, which had such a high skill curve that beginners would be demolished for a couple of weeks before learning some of the more difficult ways of moving around. When I first started playing I was so happy that the game lacked the super accurate Iron Sights of COD, that the scale of the game was massive, and that each faction was unique. Sure, there isn't a great tutorial, and at first the game is can be confusing and frustrating. After an hour or two of playing, you will quickly figure out where you should be, and get the gist of the classes. Pay to win exists to an extent in this game, but skill really will triumph in most cases. With any game of this scale, you can only expect it to improve with time, and SEO has stated mentioned some plans for the future. As it stands now, the game is a solid 8 and it looks to improve. Don't listen to the naysayers, the game offers a lot of good reasons to play, and as people get it better, it will only continue to offer a great MMOFPS experience. Expand
  53. Nov 28, 2012
    This game is a ripoff of the Battlefield franchise if it was to be turned into a MMO. You can get the MMO feeling every second you play this game. This game suffers from low production quality and poor optimization. Also I personally believe that the mircotransaction system is extremely tedious and annoying. I would rather pay the 110$ I payed for BF3 (+ premium) than waste my preciousThis game is a ripoff of the Battlefield franchise if it was to be turned into a MMO. You can get the MMO feeling every second you play this game. This game suffers from low production quality and poor optimization. Also I personally believe that the mircotransaction system is extremely tedious and annoying. I would rather pay the 110$ I payed for BF3 (+ premium) than waste my precious time on a game that is a huge uninspired world that has no goal and purpose to exist. Expand
  54. Nov 28, 2012
    NEW PLAYERS: There ARE tutorials on the game's website. They are terrifically helpful. Anyway, this game is certainly not for casual gamers. It is intense, complicated, and most importantly, requires strong teamwork skills. Also, a mic is practically a must. The graphics, while colorful, are very low res in the environment, though player models look decent., and the lighting is beautifulNEW PLAYERS: There ARE tutorials on the game's website. They are terrifically helpful. Anyway, this game is certainly not for casual gamers. It is intense, complicated, and most importantly, requires strong teamwork skills. Also, a mic is practically a must. The graphics, while colorful, are very low res in the environment, though player models look decent., and the lighting is beautiful at times. The controls are playable, though players seem to have a slower movement speed than in most FPSes out there. This is compensated by vehicular movement and combat, which can take place at blistering speeds, especially air combat. The most stand-out feature of this game is that it is first and foremost a strategy game played at the FPS level. While you can certainly run around aimlessly shooting bad guys, that behavior is very unlikely to aid in victory. I have been in 48-player platoons as the platoon leader, ordering squads around and reading the map while trying to determine the most tactically advantageous strategy for my platoon to take to secure its objective, and had a blast. Most people follow orders well; it is not like Call-of-Duty, where no one works together and mics stay silent. It is closer to Battlefield, but with way more consistency and no time limits or spawn limits - in other words, supremely tactical. It is not about how many kills you get, it's about whether or not you can successfully attack or defend a position against enemy forces. ******* For those concerned with the micro-transaction method: Of course people who put money into the game are going to have small advantages. The game is free to players, but it certainly was not to the developers. Games don't come out of thin air, and they have to make their money somewhere. I have no problem ponying up some dough to say thank you to the game studio, and neither should anyone else. Show some gratitude with your wallet. ******* Expand
  55. Nov 28, 2012
    Thoroughly fun and well executed game. You are a soldier allied to one of three factions partaking in massive battles across three large continents. There are various air and land vehicles you can drive, as well as several different classes of infantry. The combat is pretty solidly implemented with only minor changes necessary to certain aspects (such as the Infiltrator infantry class).Thoroughly fun and well executed game. You are a soldier allied to one of three factions partaking in massive battles across three large continents. There are various air and land vehicles you can drive, as well as several different classes of infantry. The combat is pretty solidly implemented with only minor changes necessary to certain aspects (such as the Infiltrator infantry class). The game looks good and I have had no performance problems on a high end i7 dekstop PC; which I am honestly very impressed with as MMOs traditionally have huge problems with lag at launch.

The bad parts of this game that I feel worth mentioning are the actual cost if you want all the bells and whistles, minor class problems (as previously mentioned), the continent system and vehicle zergs. Regarding the cost, if you want to buy everything it will cost you a large chunk of money. A lot of items are merely cosmetic, however, I wouldn't go so far as to say they all are (as SOE has claimed in the past). The continent system often leads to each faction dominating a continent each because people have swapped to the winning location. This means you don't get epic battles as often as you should, a lot of the time you are either being steamrolled or steamrolling. During peak times vehicles can become a little too numerous, forming massive groups that blow everything to shreds.
  56. Nov 27, 2012
    With all due respect, this is honestly a great game, with great mechanics, and a fantastic atmosphere. In other words - it was a success.

However, in many areas - it falls short. Please note I have not played the original planetside, so this review is unbiased to the previous game. Where does this game succeed? In scale. The sheer scale of planetside 2 is enough to make you play it,

Where does this game succeed? In scale. The sheer scale of planetside 2 is enough to make you play it, it is highly addicting - and wtih a group of friends can be very fun. Coupled with modern day gunplay mechanics, this game seriously sets itself up to be a great game. However, aside from the good mechanics, and addictive gameplay - there are a few places where planetside 2 falls very very short.

First of all, the game does not feel rewarding to me. This is a subjective opinion - but I did not save up one thousand certs to buy a gun that looks nearly - if not exactly, the same as my default gun. While the guns are well rounded function wise, LMG's on the same faction - will have remarkable resemblance to each other. In other words - the design in some areas is very bland and uninspired.

I would also like to mention balancing issues, the TR as a whole, are an overpowered bullet spraying killing machine. To put it mildly TR vs NC. The TR can afford to miss, while the NC simply can't. However, there are always trade offs - so I do believe personally, that I am just nitpicking.

Other than menial balancing issues, the game is incredibly buggy, and there are dozens of exploits. (Such as getting the health of a max suit on your light assault class.) I will not mention them all - but that is just the gist of many problems.

Furthermore, the game lacks any sense of depth. The reason is that it is almost impossible to use even tactics to take an enemy base. The game heavily relies on zerg rush tactics. So all you can do is kill kill kill until one team or another overcomes eachother. (Or more likely quits.) I really wish, that there was another way to manage spawns even at smaller bases. (There used to be SCU's at smaller bases during early beta, which was a good addition - however, now they've been taken away. They need them back. Camping spawns is a stupid idea for spawn suppression! The devs should be ASHAMED of themselves!)

However on a positive note, the game is still a very solid game. And will surely improve over time content and functionality-wise. Initial release for most MMO games is bland, so let us hope this one comes a long way. The game gets a solid 8 out of 10 in my opinion. Anymore would be overrated, any less would be bashing it.
  57. Nov 27, 2012
    AS a PS1 player it wasn't hard for me to get into PS2, and its by far a better game from the get go. The game runs pretty smooth for me and its got to be one of the most beautiful games to date, especially for how many players can be active at one time. It tops all multiplayer games in epicness. Its got its issues, but what new game doesn't, especially in the mmo department. The vehiclesAS a PS1 player it wasn't hard for me to get into PS2, and its by far a better game from the get go. The game runs pretty smooth for me and its got to be one of the most beautiful games to date, especially for how many players can be active at one time. It tops all multiplayer games in epicness. Its got its issues, but what new game doesn't, especially in the mmo department. The vehicles could be better but I feel I cannot judge them as you have to unlock so much potential which leaves me to this: I would rate it a 10/10 if it weren't for the FTP system. I think this game should have had a price tag and FTP system for cosmetics, but the unlocks take far to long to unlock and I'm not a fan of spending cash on items I don't even know if I will like. But for the base free game, spend a few dollars and you can have a butt load of fun in battles larger than anything you will see in that **** COD game. Expand
  58. Nov 27, 2012
    I am loving the game so far, it is the only game of it's kind out there for FPS's. The game shines at large combined combat with you Oufit and faction. The down side I think it needed a few more map for launch, example home continents and a bases that link continents from your home one like the first game. I now this in coming but I have to take some off for the early launch.
  59. Nov 27, 2012
    Ok so everyone who has been saying the game is terrible, it's free. Why is everyone complaining? For a free game, the graphics are incredible. The reason there are glitches and bugs is because it JUST came out and the game itself along with the maps are MASSIVE. Yes, of course there is an issue with unbalanced weapons due to people who pay. Why does it matter? Suck it up and enjoy the gameOk so everyone who has been saying the game is terrible, it's free. Why is everyone complaining? For a free game, the graphics are incredible. The reason there are glitches and bugs is because it JUST came out and the game itself along with the maps are MASSIVE. Yes, of course there is an issue with unbalanced weapons due to people who pay. Why does it matter? Suck it up and enjoy the game for what it is. The game is amazing. The battles are huge, usually 100 people per team. The scenery is so well done with the atmosphere of the game that it's just... Beautiful. If played alone, the game is fun. If you play it with a squad of 12 people where there's a very good squad leader (the way I play) the game is unbeatable. Imagine sneaking behind enemy lines with a single Sunderer (the vehicle that allows people to spawn on it) and hiding it under an enemy base two territories over, then taking the massive base with 12 people, while the enemy doesn't even notice you're there until it's too late. Planetside 2 is the definition of teamwork and it's the type of game I and a lot of my friends have been looking for. Sony did an amazing job with this game. Yes, glitches do exist and can get quite annoying. Hit detection isn't the best. There have been times where I shot 50 rounds into someone's chest at point blank and didn't get one hit marker. But my team was there to kill him, so it's ok. Vehicles can be over powered at times, but all you need to do is shoot them with a rocket launcher a few times and it's all good. The Certification system is kind of like most other F2P games, but still a great concept and executed very well. If everyone would just stop complaining about stupid things like the people who pay 15 dollars a month to play to get overpowered things, and maybe look at the gameplay part of it, maybe everyone would enjoy it! That's those people's choice to pay 15 bucks a month to play. You don't have to, so why complain? The game is amazing and it's free, which makes it even better. Yea it's not the best polished game out there, and maybe Sony could've waited a month or two to fix all of the glitches and bugs, but it's FREE. You don't need to pay 60$ for it. I've already put 55 hours into the game and I'm still playing. I love it, and it's just perfect. I over analyze everything. But I seem to just stop caring about any negative things about the game and just enjoy it's pure awesomeness. It's free. Download it and try it. I always say gameplay is completely based off of opinion, which is very true, but this game is just amazing. If you like FPS, you need to at least try this game. Don't give up in the first 5 minutes because it's confusing. Play it for a few hours until you at least have an idea of what you're doing. Remember, ITS FREE. Expand
  60. Nov 27, 2012
    Planetside 2 although it has potential, is fun and addictive (when it works) has many issues, bugs, glitches that ruin the game.

The lag issue sees enemy infantry turn invisible or teleport around your screen making it impossible to get a shot off. The terrain bug making the world invisible can be a minor issue (restart game or mess with full screen/windowed mode to fix) but is an issue that should not happen in a "release".
    The games graphics look better on low than high and have less issues, why even have settings in the first place.
    Balance I can't say much about since I have only played 1 faction but weapons are far from equivalent, and they are all far overpriced, this game gives a large advantage to people willing to pay for a free to play game.
    The trial period so that you can use a weapon/mod is helpful in making a choice to buy a specific weapon but if you cannot compare weapons (8 hour cooldown between trials) then how useful of a tool is it really for comparisons, it is simply so you can see what that specific weapon is like, not to help you make a choice between multiple unobtained weapons. It might be better designed to give you the ability to trial all weapons for a short period so that you can compare your choices.
    Anti-Spawn Camping Barriers allowing people to shoot out but not in, this is just reversing the grief in places that the offensive faction wants to get past. The offensive side if smart can still grief by just sitting just out of line of sight until they exit the barrier, yes they can run back inside but will likely not get that chance with 10+ people waiting for that free kill.

This game is NOT"polished" or even close to it yet, with the free to play model I would doubt it will ever be a priority to make the game what it could be, it seems much more likely that it will fix the major issues with time make some money and not worry about ever "polishing" the game.

The game is playable most of the time and I would still recommend it to people who are looking for something to do that is free for a few hours a day but there are much better games out there to spend money on, especially when you can buy and own a game instead of just 6 or so weapons.
  61. Nov 27, 2012
    Planetside 2 is a game that has unbelievable polish for what is a free game. while i admit that it has lag issues and bugs there are moments in this game that are absolutely spectacular. Plus its FREE so go play it for yourself
  62. Nov 27, 2012
    While any attempt at a massively multiplayer FPS is an ambitious one, Planetside 2 does a fair job of executing. By far the worst part of the game is the community. Whiny, self-appointed video game "experts" with an unfounded sense of individual entitlement love to cry about balance issues or that it's "pay to win". These players completely miss the point of the game. I guess this is to beWhile any attempt at a massively multiplayer FPS is an ambitious one, Planetside 2 does a fair job of executing. By far the worst part of the game is the community. Whiny, self-appointed video game "experts" with an unfounded sense of individual entitlement love to cry about balance issues or that it's "pay to win". These players completely miss the point of the game. I guess this is to be expected in a F2P model though. The best part of the game, for me at least, is the massive power that can be acquired through organizing or becoming a part of an outfit, platoon or squad. There is no other game that can make you feel quite as powerful (or powerless). For example, there's nothing like watching fully loaded, 12-person Galaxy dropships headed right towards the outpost you're trying to defend. This is one of those "holy sh*t" moments when you can FEEL the inevitability of the situation ahead of you. It's quite amazing to be able to wield that kind of power to change the course of a large-scale battle. The challenge is getting organized. "Skills" in this game are much less focused on the individual, as in most other FPS games. Nor is there much character skill variation, even among the higher ranked players. A rank 1 player can take out a rank 20 player fairly easily. The real skill involved here is effective communication, organization and strategy. You'll have lots of communication tools at your disposal, and in this respect PS2 is a successful (and fun) game. Expand
  63. Nov 27, 2012
    Planetside 2 is a genuinely enjoyable experience that combines the elements of a number of FPS games that I prefer. I enjoyed battlefield 1942 the first time I played it, primarily because I enjoyed the "epic feeling" that the game had to it; Planetside 2 simply brings this to a whole new level. It's a massive game, and the combat's scale is unrivaled. The factions are balanced, andPlanetside 2 is a genuinely enjoyable experience that combines the elements of a number of FPS games that I prefer. I enjoyed battlefield 1942 the first time I played it, primarily because I enjoyed the "epic feeling" that the game had to it; Planetside 2 simply brings this to a whole new level. It's a massive game, and the combat's scale is unrivaled. The factions are balanced, and easily distinct with their own unique play-style. The combat itself is really good, easily comparable with the best FPS's on the market to date. Expand
  64. Nov 27, 2012
    Epic. It's a word that is thrown around quite a bit, but it perfectly describes what Planetside is. Many other games have "epic' scripted events to make you feel like you are part of something massive. In Planetside 2, those events happen organically and often and with real players. The massive scope of this game is literally not found in any other fps game. While you will need a top ofEpic. It's a word that is thrown around quite a bit, but it perfectly describes what Planetside is. Many other games have "epic' scripted events to make you feel like you are part of something massive. In Planetside 2, those events happen organically and often and with real players. The massive scope of this game is literally not found in any other fps game. While you will need a top of the line computer to get the most out of this game, it is still very playable on my computer with is 3 years old (some parts are even older). To me, this means the game will age well and still look great years from now.

The game is certainly free2play but definitely not pay2win. I have not dropped a single penny into the game and I have never felt at a disadvantag. Everything that is not cosmetic can be purchased using in-game experience. You never have to spend a penny to get any weapon or attachment that a paying player can have.

While the game is certainly more fun playing in groups, I've had a great time just exploring the game by myself. However, the community is very open and friendly so joining an outfit is easy and rewarding.

I have already had experiences in this game that I have never had before in any other game, and there is still so much left for me to explore. This is a game I've been waiting my whole life for, and I can see myself playing this game for years to come.
  65. Nov 27, 2012
    Gameplay wise the game is great. Sure there may be some balance issues especially concerning the infantry vs vehicles part, but in general it plays very nicely. Battles lasting through day and night cycles are something I've personally enjoyed the most. But there are some problems not related to the gameplay itself that prevent the game from being truly good. The first one is the last ofGameplay wise the game is great. Sure there may be some balance issues especially concerning the infantry vs vehicles part, but in general it plays very nicely. Battles lasting through day and night cycles are something I've personally enjoyed the most. But there are some problems not related to the gameplay itself that prevent the game from being truly good. The first one is the last of ANY tutorial, lack of ANY explanation of what all the icons means, lack of ANY objective information for the player which left me simply disoriented for first few hours. Sure, once you figure it out, the game becomes much better, but seriously I'm probably not the only one with this problem considering a very small subset of players who actually follows the objectives rather than mindlessly shoot each other. The second, and in my opinion - much more important - issue is the F2P model. The game was being advertised as not being Pay2Win game, which after a couple of hours becomes an obvious lie. Everything in game starting with abilities, weapons, mods, vehicle stuff, cosmetics, etc. is unlocked with a single currency you gain while playing the game. Now the problem is that on average you make about 25-30 credits per hour (about 1 credit per 4 kills) and upgrading a single perk to max level costs about 1500 credits - that's about 60 hours of gameplay for one perk on a single class on a single character. New weapon? No problem, 700-1000 credits + 200 credits for the mods. As you can see fully unlocking a single class takes about an eternity. This means that you end up buying weapons for 7-9$ each which is yet another misunderstood implementation of the MICROtransactions model. If this was a $60 priced title it would score at least 8 (because of the lack of initial tutorial and some game balance issues), but thanks to the greedy, falsely advertised payment model the rating does down to 3. Expand
  66. Nov 27, 2012
    This is a very addictive game and one that is well thought out although the execution is rough. It is a bit rushed and there are some HUGE balance issues (objective data has been assembled showing a massive advantage to the VS over the TR - slightly - but especially over the NC being in the basement in terms of Infantry and vehicles - particularly in the time to kill ratings) but thisThis is a very addictive game and one that is well thought out although the execution is rough. It is a bit rushed and there are some HUGE balance issues (objective data has been assembled showing a massive advantage to the VS over the TR - slightly - but especially over the NC being in the basement in terms of Infantry and vehicles - particularly in the time to kill ratings) but this game is MUCH more about team work. If you try to Rambo this game and run and gun like any idiot in BF3 you will find you are killing your team mates, getting weapon locked and being hated by your side. In this game - friendly fire WILL kill you and no there are no servers where you can turn that off. The action is intense and the coordination required is at times mind blowing. The biggest issues in the game currently are technical followed by the need to better balance the factions. But this is an amazing game. You can be very effective with base equipment, but if you are like me and have a particular way you like to play, you will need to unlock a gun or two and some features for your vehicles. Realistically I would say that you could invest $25 and be set. The membership is only needed if you don't like standing in a queue. Expand
  67. Nov 27, 2012
    It seems most of the poor reviews are by people who have technical trouble. As someone with a decent gaming computer, I have no such issues and I'm thoroughly enjoying Planetside 2. As an Australian I find it an extra positive that theres a local server. The only negatives to me are the slowness of gaining certification points if you're a free player, and the lack of in game tutorials -It seems most of the poor reviews are by people who have technical trouble. As someone with a decent gaming computer, I have no such issues and I'm thoroughly enjoying Planetside 2. As an Australian I find it an extra positive that theres a local server. The only negatives to me are the slowness of gaining certification points if you're a free player, and the lack of in game tutorials - the game is a little overwhelming at first if you don't spend the time to watch the tutorial videos.

These negatives are far outweighed by the sheer joy of joining a huge tank convoy and rolling across the map, or doing tactical air drops into strategic points and paving the way for your armor to roll in, or flying air support for airborne transports, or simply operating an anti aircraft turret.
  68. Nov 26, 2012
    The game has a great deal of potential. However in my opinion it falls flat on its face because of the horrendous lag that's encountered whenever there are huge battles. It's a shame, but until they get this sorted out it's strongest selling point is a huge disappointment. You can't play an fps when everyone is warping around the place and your screen starts to flicker after thirty minsThe game has a great deal of potential. However in my opinion it falls flat on its face because of the horrendous lag that's encountered whenever there are huge battles. It's a shame, but until they get this sorted out it's strongest selling point is a huge disappointment. You can't play an fps when everyone is warping around the place and your screen starts to flicker after thirty mins of play. Expand
  69. Nov 26, 2012
    I was extremely excited for planetside 2 after hearing so many great things about it and watching all the videos, after playing it for roughly 10 hours excitement turned into disappointment. First thing players will notice is the massive scale of the game, 3 huge continents with hundreds of players battling over bases is amazing, the graphics are also quality and will require a powerfulI was extremely excited for planetside 2 after hearing so many great things about it and watching all the videos, after playing it for roughly 10 hours excitement turned into disappointment. First thing players will notice is the massive scale of the game, 3 huge continents with hundreds of players battling over bases is amazing, the graphics are also quality and will require a powerful rig to even play the game at medium settings, but in the gameplay is where the game falls short. For starters there is no tutorial, the game already has a steep learning curve and the lack of help is enough to turn players off from the get go. The mouse sensitivity is way to high and even after turning it all the way down makes it difficult to aim, since it requires persistent aiming rather than COD style twitch aiming, the poor hit detection, shoddy animations and the fact that you have to hit a player 10-15 times to kill them makes the game extremely annoying and takes away the fun that could be had with it. The guns also feel floaty and seem like they do very little damage. The developers also claim this is a free to play game which is not true, players that pay have a clear advantage over non-paying players as they can buy better guns, gear and armor and those that subscribe have bonus perks like extra xp and cert points; which is the games currency. Playing without paying could take a huge amount of time to unlock a new gun or even weapon attachments making the game even less fun. The game could have been brilliant, the scope is massive and unseen before, giving the player land and air vehicles, skills, huge amount of customizable weapons and objectives. But going up against players that shed money is frustrating considering they are much better equipped than you are. If you are curious to find out for yourself i recommend trying it considering the game is free to download, but if you are after a solid team based shooter for a one off payment giving you everything at your disposal, stick to battlefield 3.

Pros:
    + massive scale with hundreds of players
    + massive maps with heaps of bases to fight over
    + looks amazing on a powerful machine
    + large amount of weapons, vehicles and items Cons:
    - play to win
    - very slow gameplay
    - frustrating aiming and shoddy hit detection
    - lack of tutorial and steep learning curve will turn off gamers
    - takes too long to unlock gear without paying
    - weak gun play and weapons feel wake and similar
  70. Nov 26, 2012
    A truly epic game. BF3 on a massive scale, and whether your preference is flying, tanking or infantry, you will immense fun. All 3 playstyles are well implemented, and have a significant role to play in the game. There are myriad guns, explosives, and weaponry to choose from, and customizing your trooper / vehicle is a lot of fun. These can be trialed for 30 mins before you spend yourA truly epic game. BF3 on a massive scale, and whether your preference is flying, tanking or infantry, you will immense fun. All 3 playstyles are well implemented, and have a significant role to play in the game. There are myriad guns, explosives, and weaponry to choose from, and customizing your trooper / vehicle is a lot of fun. These can be trialed for 30 mins before you spend your cash/cert points too Expand
  71. Nov 25, 2012
    This game is amazing capturing immersion and epic sense of war no matter what gamer you owe it to yourself to download it. It can make you rage but the pros far out ways the cons
  72. Nov 25, 2012
    The Game:

Planetside 2 has the potential to be a great game marketed as a Freep2Play game there are a huge number of issues and if you really want every weapon you will have to shell out a whopping 400 USD for every weapon + subscription that costs you 15$ a month. Air: huge pay2win advantage (People who pay real money get rocket pods and AA rockets which are both overpowered hard)
    The Game:

Tanks: mild pay2win (Regular tanks are hugely competetive and pay2win is almost non existant here.)
    Infantry: mild to high (Free2play guns are super effective but you do gain some advantages with paid guns)

All in all i won't be playing this for a long time because it's based on such a blatant model,I mean seriously 7$ for a gun.

The GamePlay: Planetside 2 has it's charm,it's a fun game I admit but there's a big number of glitches,none of the game-breaking just annoying at times.The class system is well thought out and the upgrades are reasonable.The maps are huge and it's fairly balanced with some discrepancies here and there.

Conclusion:

All in all a descent game 7/10 but with the pay2win model it's really not the game for the intermediate-hardcore gamer this is a game for 9-5 person who has 2-3 hours to play and a lot of spare cash (kids,job people)
    As a hardcore gamer I can say this is not a game for me,but I recommend you to try it and if you have an extra 400$ over a year to really enjoy it. I prefer my games in the 50$ area.
  73. Nov 25, 2012
    Planetside 2 is a very good game. the graphics are phenomenal, the controls feel tight and the sheer scale of the game is just astonishing. it's like playing 30 battlefield 3 matches at once in an area part of a gigantic continent in the world of Auraxis. The hit detection is also remarkable and the gunplay is very tight which would make any FPS fan squeal with joy. But since the gamePlanetside 2 is a very good game. the graphics are phenomenal, the controls feel tight and the sheer scale of the game is just astonishing. it's like playing 30 battlefield 3 matches at once in an area part of a gigantic continent in the world of Auraxis. The hit detection is also remarkable and the gunplay is very tight which would make any FPS fan squeal with joy. But since the game requires a lot of teamwork, i felt that finding friends could've been more simpler. Also, the game feels a bit unfinished, for example, the "Basic training" tutorial videos should've been part of the game instead of being only on their youtube channel which is inconvenient because the game is very complex and it makes you think that the developers were just lazy and didn't think about the newcomers for Planetside 2. But overall, Planetside 2 is an uncut diamond, it's not perfect and it feels a bit unfinished but if the developers shape it and polish it, then everyone will see the real beauty of Planetside 2. Expand
  74. Nov 25, 2012
    It's a decent shooter. Has a sense of Battlefield 3 injected with armored steroids with it. The factions are somewhat balanced: I played all three factions during the beta and kept a stable K:D for all of them. The New Conglomerate guns do a little bit of work though. Large scale battles allow you to choose from multiple sites to play from, and you have a variety of vehicles to fightIt's a decent shooter. Has a sense of Battlefield 3 injected with armored steroids with it. The factions are somewhat balanced: I played all three factions during the beta and kept a stable K:D for all of them. The New Conglomerate guns do a little bit of work though. Large scale battles allow you to choose from multiple sites to play from, and you have a variety of vehicles to fight with, if that's what you prefer. There are three major problems in my opinion: 1) It's not player friendly. There is no handson tutorial that shows you what to really do. You are literally dropped onto the middle of the battlefield hoping you know what to do and who's who. 2) The cert grind (which allows you to unlock new weapons) is a big grind. An average player can get around 50-80 certs per hour if they're in active battlefields, but you need to play a few of those hours to unlock one weapon. You also have the opportunity cost of saving those certs and just buying Station Cash, each weapon costing $3-$7. That's not a bad price compared to other games where perm weapons are $25+, but this is per character only so caveat. 3) The biggest problem of them all: THE STABILITY. There are times where your whole screen flashes rapidly, risking problems prone to seizure. The stability of the servers during peak hours are horrible. Players will jump around and phase in and out, making it almost impossible to actually hit them. There have been reports on some large servers that grenades, vehicles, and explosives dont actually explode. Abilities won't work. Granted, this game just came out and it's been pretty popular so far, but it really needs some work on the stability side. Outposts are currently being worked on to have a more defensive fortress type layout instead of "whack-a-mole" location system, so that's another plus. Expand
  75. Nov 25, 2012
    The core gameplay is fun, albeit with a few annoyances. The epic scale with smooth gameplay is very impressive. The game is addicting and causes time to fly by.

Pros: Massive scale, very fun, extremely team oriented. VOIP communication is critical for tactical gameplay. Play the way you want. Support classes are totally viable. Air combat is amazingly fun. Cons: The business model.

Cons: The business model. Free to play, but takes 6 months at 25 hours a week to max just one infantry and one vehicle. Subscribers who have bought a few weapons and boosts can do that in 3 weeks. Costs maybe $50 + $15 a month. Simply put, infrequent free players are going to be at a disadvantage. The game is definitely designed to sucker people into buying station cash. I have already spent $180 on the game and have a moderate advantage over new players, but hopefully that advantage will fade after 6 months or so.

The graphics do not appear to be state of the art because the ultra setting was removed from the game at the very end of beta due to stability issues. The game is not multithreaded, which is a big problem for people with slower CPUs or even high end AMD CPUs. i5 and i7 CPUs are required to have satisfactory framerates on high settings. CPU clock speed directly affects framerates (GPU not so much), so overclockers benefit a lot.

The annoyances to which I was refering are the invulnerable shield spawn locations where stalemate battles may continue for often 30 minutes at a time. I find these annoying and they are the epitome of spawning camping. You can literally die 20 times in 5 minutes to spawn camping. Some people like this, but I hate it.
  76. Nov 25, 2012
    Game was not ready for launch there is rendering distance issues, server lag issues, and many other things that the beta testers made them aware of that they ignored. All unlocks bought with cash only stay on 1 character and are non transferable which they do not make clear when you purchase. Devs pretend to listen to the community but do nothing about the complaints so far. They justGame was not ready for launch there is rendering distance issues, server lag issues, and many other things that the beta testers made them aware of that they ignored. All unlocks bought with cash only stay on 1 character and are non transferable which they do not make clear when you purchase. Devs pretend to listen to the community but do nothing about the complaints so far. They just take the giant threads asking for them to change something broken and move them to the back corner of the forums and ignore them. Maybe it will get better and hey its F2P just don't bother spending any real money on it. Expand
  77. Nov 25, 2012
    ...seriously just an "OK" game. Mostly a place for spam players and campers. Playing as a team or solo, you feel useless. If you're a fan of Black Ops, Modern Warfare, or the old Counter-Strike, this isn't the game for you.
  78. Nov 25, 2012
    Not the best game, but definitely the most fun game. Actually I take that back, it's the best game.

Where is the 9.5 rating? I'll take away .5 for somewhat limited meta-game and vehicle options at release; however this is coming as the devs stated.

Massive battles.. nothing like it. All PC gamers need to give their time/money to this fantastic game.
  79. Nov 25, 2012
    I've paid 60 dollars for games that were less polished, less graphically pretty, less entertaining, less technically brilliant, and balanced worse than this totally free game. Under normal circumstances I might resent the cash shop, but given that the majority of what actually makes you a superior player needs to be unlocked via play and cannot be purchased, and given the fact that theI've paid 60 dollars for games that were less polished, less graphically pretty, less entertaining, less technically brilliant, and balanced worse than this totally free game. Under normal circumstances I might resent the cash shop, but given that the majority of what actually makes you a superior player needs to be unlocked via play and cannot be purchased, and given the fact that the cash shop is the only way that the developers are making money, I have absolutely no qualms. The gameplay is deep and the scale truly massive. Persistent war with hundreds of people fighting over territory in a never-ending battle across three huge continents using infantry as well as ground and air vehicles. They have create an enormous amount of content and made all of it relevant, available to everyone regardless of how much they paid, and crucial to gameplay. When I saw that this game was absolutely free I had my doubts about how deep the gameplay could be, or how much of it would be locked away behind a cash shop, but they really did go above and beyond, providing an experience that many triple-A premium-priced titles fail to deliver without segregating the paying players away from the free players.

I don't know how they did it. But they have managed something brilliant here, and I wish them great success. Not only for breaking new ground and taking a risk on giving their game away for free, but I would love to see more quality titles that follow in their footsteps.
  80. Nov 25, 2012
    The things Planetside 2 does are astounding, the scale is almost unbelievable. And to think that they have an Ultra graphics setting which isn't even released yet...this game proves by itself that PC gaming isn't dead by a long shot. No console could do what Planetside 2 is doing. The development team is one of the best I have ever seen at worrying about what the players want. I'm saddenedThe things Planetside 2 does are astounding, the scale is almost unbelievable. And to think that they have an Ultra graphics setting which isn't even released yet...this game proves by itself that PC gaming isn't dead by a long shot. No console could do what Planetside 2 is doing. The development team is one of the best I have ever seen at worrying about what the players want. I'm saddened by the amount of negative reviews of people that want a totally free game. The game is fun when playing by yourself but if you join an outfit and have a teamspeak or ventrilo server going it suddenly unfolds into one of the best games you've ever played. The sheer amount of strategy and communication needed to dominate the battlefield makes this game more of a military simulation than any other on the market. The room for growth for this game is unimaginable too, SOE isn't even close to done. If you write this free to play game off you are going to regret it. Don't be phased by all the people that just want a free ride and don't want to support the development team at all. Expand
  81. Nov 25, 2012
    Free-to-play and MMOs are not my thing. I'm not able to invest much time in the game to get all the fancy stuff. And I do not want to spend money on the fancy stuff either. The game is not for casual gamers who want to shoot stuff for an hour or two and who do not like to get ripped apart by players who can invest more time. You always depend on finding an organised group so you have atFree-to-play and MMOs are not my thing. I'm not able to invest much time in the game to get all the fancy stuff. And I do not want to spend money on the fancy stuff either. The game is not for casual gamers who want to shoot stuff for an hour or two and who do not like to get ripped apart by players who can invest more time. You always depend on finding an organised group so you have at least some effect on the battle. The massive scale of the battle makes you feel insignificant unless your team does everything right. Finding such a team is hard and unexperienced/casual players are more likely to get kicked from a well organised squad. And there is no real objective - no goal to achieve for casual gamers other than to fight for sectors and resources. Capturing an entire continent takes days. So this game is not for me. And I hope, the Battlefield series will continue to offer me a better home. Expand
  82. Nov 24, 2012
    Great potential, that unfortunately falls flat. The graphics aren't amazing, but that's not surprising considering the scale they were going for. The biggest problem I have with this game is how much the game mechanics encouraging Team Killing. Seeing your supposed allies killing Sunderers (Mobile Spawn Points) so they can deploy one of their own in it's place in order to collect the expGreat potential, that unfortunately falls flat. The graphics aren't amazing, but that's not surprising considering the scale they were going for. The biggest problem I have with this game is how much the game mechanics encouraging Team Killing. Seeing your supposed allies killing Sunderers (Mobile Spawn Points) so they can deploy one of their own in it's place in order to collect the exp just ruins any enjoyment I had in the game. Expand
  83. Nov 24, 2012
    If i was one of the lovely people that gave this game a negative review, I COULD have said something about how the game doesn't run at top speed on my non-gaming computer. I COULD have poked at the fact that it's not the most noob friendly at times. But if I did that, i would be forgetting the part where the game has a) an extremely large map for a shooter b) some sense of teamwork that noIf i was one of the lovely people that gave this game a negative review, I COULD have said something about how the game doesn't run at top speed on my non-gaming computer. I COULD have poked at the fact that it's not the most noob friendly at times. But if I did that, i would be forgetting the part where the game has a) an extremely large map for a shooter b) some sense of teamwork that no other multiplayer shooter has and c) pvp battles in a scale that has never before been seen in any game. Really, a few weeks ago i got in a tank battle that had at least 1000 people duking it out across an entire valley. If 'modern shooter' means '20 person death match' to you, then you can keep your modern shooter. I'll take this instead. Expand
  84. Nov 23, 2012
    Excellent free 2 play game. Factions (and overall gameplay) are extremely well balanced . Skill always wins over $$. Graphics and performance are good. Epic scale. This is my favorite hardcore mp shooter on the market. Well worth learning how to play if you are up for a challenge.
  85. Nov 23, 2012
    i have to give props to sony online entertainment for actually trying to make a triple-A MMOFPS title AND doing a great job at it!!!!!! most FPS games that come out now have a story mode and an online mode, while i believe that it should be one or the other (story mode OR online mode). if you love online FPS, you're gonna love planetside 2!!!!!!
  86. Nov 23, 2012
    Personally so far with the game it is great. The game is rough around the edges but for what it is its very good. The first game sacrificed so much to have what it had and yet people say its better, the shooting was horrible. This game has fixed that, the devs listen to the community. And so many people also complain about technical difficulties, that's not really a game flaw. If youPersonally so far with the game it is great. The game is rough around the edges but for what it is its very good. The first game sacrificed so much to have what it had and yet people say its better, the shooting was horrible. This game has fixed that, the devs listen to the community. And so many people also complain about technical difficulties, that's not really a game flaw. If you actually searched for the problem you would find it is most likely the render distance option. The lack of in game tutorials is mostly solved by the fact that there are lots of people willing to help you, the game automatically puts you in a squad so you can just ask them. But is it really hard to point and shoot at the people in different colours? My experience with the game was great, seeing huge battles last for days and finally after lots of work taking that continent and then dropping over to another to fight there. I love the game, and for a free game it beats any others I know of. Expand
  87. Nov 23, 2012
    When I first saw the trailer for Planetside 2 I thought "wow" this game must be awesome... and I am sure it has a great potential, so I am not going to talk about what others praise here about it, instead I'd like to tell you about my own experience with the game. Ok first of all I am aware there are video tutorials for this one, but I'm telling you get ready to suffer because the game isWhen I first saw the trailer for Planetside 2 I thought "wow" this game must be awesome... and I am sure it has a great potential, so I am not going to talk about what others praise here about it, instead I'd like to tell you about my own experience with the game. Ok first of all I am aware there are video tutorials for this one, but I'm telling you get ready to suffer because the game is not newbie friendly , so the first time you play you are launched in the middle of the field with nothing more but a small message like "good luck and kill your enemies" thing, so you are in this space pod falling down from above and the first thing that you will face as soon as you touch the ground is death... I thought to myself in disbelief "holly crap are there people camping spawn spots? how is this allowed on first place", btw something to notice is that I was killed by "generalfart" so that will also give you an idea of the kind of community thye are cooking there, I should have known better...so I started all over again and same bs... once you manage to get into an ally base you are not told what to do and whatsoever so this game sucks, is not fun to play , after all what did you expect from SOE and a freemium game, if you are into that sort of games (cashshop included) maybe this one is for you, otherwise move along and don't waste your time downloading and hd space installing this piece of crap Expand
  88. Nov 23, 2012
    Bad attempt to make awesome multiplayer. First this game have one of uglier graphics this year, but this is not crucial for multiplayer game anyways. But, game fail in all other aspects. Glitchy, bad spawn points ruining the action, bad shooting are only few of bad thins this game bring to the table. Only good thing is free to play because if they charge for this would be really cheating.
  89. Nov 23, 2012
    Planetside 2 has battles of epic scale and decent gfx but the gameplay is lacking and their F2P system went P2W even before the launch throwing everything balance related out of the window. Several bugs and lag issues along with the P2W factor make the game nearly unplayable.

+ Scale
    + Might get better
    + Cant get much worse

- P2W
    - Balance
  90. Nov 23, 2012
    This is a game with a lot of unrealised promise, which suffers at the hands of a new community.
    I love big, class based FPS games, I even loved MAG, but its pretty difficult to love PS2. Its scale is awesome, but you are unlikely to see most of the map given the spawns and hotpoints tend to be at small locations many Km apart. Its gunplay is pretty poor, guns are uninspiring and bland with no impactful feel.

There are youtube guides out there that state that the most important aspect of this game is logistics. This is true, the most useful people are usually the ones flying mobile spawn points but they are far above the action. As such, people rarely fly the mobile spawn points because the most useful part of the game is also incredibly boring.

The other problem this game suffers from is that there is no sense of achievement, even when you capture an entire region of the map.

The community at the minute is still adjusting, so while it may get better in the future at the minute the 10% of people that arent playing snipers are running round wildly with LMGs.

The game is incredibly demanding on PCs due to its scale, and still has a lot of lag and bugs in the EU servers. The concept behind the game is excellent, the execution at the moment is just incredibly bland. In addition, for a game with this much stuff and scale, there is no real tutorial to speak of. A few notes exist in the in the pause/map screen but at the start of the game you are pretty much dropped in a warzone and told 'GO!' leaving you puzzled asking "go where? do what?" until you die.
  91. Nov 23, 2012
    This is the ultimate FPS, taking it to the next level. Have you ever felt the adrenaline rush when about 50 enemy foot soldiers and three tanks are approaching your location and you are all alone? Didn't think so.

I was lost in the beginning, but what would you expect when you get dropped down into the middle of a war zone without any kind of tutorial. I had chosen the Vanu Sovereignty (also known as the VS) due to their futuristic battery powered laser weapons. I soon got the hang of it though, once I died I switched to Combat Medic due to me being a team player and their long(er) range primary weapon. I spawned at the recommended spawn and just went with the flow. Soon I was out at the front lines again.

This game is nothing for casuals, it has friendly fire and you are not going to be able to take damage like in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 for example. Between five and ten direct hits with the Combat Medic's primary weapon will kill you.

I eventually dragged some friends into it and we all joined an outfit. Soon we were all in-game, sitting in a Sunderer (a 12 person vehicle with dual anti-artillery cannons that can be used by two passengers) moving towards the front lines. Once we were there we deployed it, making it a mobile base. The developers have really thought out the team element and playing in a group makes this whole game a lot better.

I haven't had this fun in a very long time.
  92. Nov 23, 2012
    Planetside2 is the epitome of modern FPS games. It belong to the MMO scene and brings a different approach to warfare. Forget about 16,32 or 64 battles. In PS2 2000 players can fight in the same continent creating some very huge and epic battles.
    But the most important thing is that the developers listen the community and bring improvements in regular basis. I haven't seen any other game where the development team participate in the forums and discuss several issues with players. The game is Free to Play so it is very easy to try it and play without giving a dime. It needs some focus in the beginning because of its scale but soon you will understand how to play.
  93. Nov 22, 2012
    I played the original Planetside and tested this one since the tech test. This game is definitely the sequel of the original MMOFPS. Planetside 2 is MASSIVE and unique with thousands of players across three factions playing simultaneously on the same server. The Sony developers took on a behemoth of a job to recreate the feelings of warfare on monumental scale all around you, that familiarI played the original Planetside and tested this one since the tech test. This game is definitely the sequel of the original MMOFPS. Planetside 2 is MASSIVE and unique with thousands of players across three factions playing simultaneously on the same server. The Sony developers took on a behemoth of a job to recreate the feelings of warfare on monumental scale all around you, that familiar feeling from Planetside where at any minute you could be walking, driving, or flying into a three-way faction showdown. The gun play has been brought up to date and feels responsive and tight as a modern first person shooter should they also have new realistic vehicle physics. The game is built around customization and has so many options your head will spin; you can upgrade your starting weapons, purchase new side-grades from the Depot, and even customize your unique solider or vehicle with different armor and camouflage. Everything in game is purchasable with certifications that you unlock during game play which is very rare for 'Free-to-play' games; you can play the whole game and never spend a penny if you wish. The only thing that you must spend money on is personal customization skins for your solider, vehicles, and weapons; which is not needed for advancement. The developers motto is this game will NEVER be 'Pay-to-win' and they have kept their word. The game play mechanics aren't brand new but they are very coherent and are built from the ground up to support team play. The continents are divided by hexagonal bases that can be captured by any of the three factions. Controlling land is very important because different bases give resources that the factions use to purchase vehicles, grenades, personal med-packs, and other personal items needed for war. Planetside 2 also has a brand new meta game that allows a unified faction to dominate a continent and lock-out the other two factions which gives the winning faction unique passive bonuses for their war machine. There is a lot more that this game has in store for it's players and all this is just the beginning! Thank you for reading my review of the game and I hope to see you on the battlefield! Expand
  94. Nov 22, 2012
    The biggest problem with Planetside 2 though is that is commits the cardinal sin of free to play games. Players that pay have a marked advantage over those who don't. Earning enough free credits for basic upgrades is agonizingly slow. If you want to play, expect to pony up some cash up front or be left in the dust.

Now to cover the other problems. Its poorly optimized. The servers

Now to cover the other problems. Its poorly optimized. The servers aren't very good. The game looks bland on max settings. The controls aren't very tight. I've put in about 12 hours now, and every battle ends up being the exact same thing, one team corralling the other team in their base. There's no hope of a mass break out or of winning, yet the game can drag on for hours on end. The lack of any kind of tutorial is frustrating and will surely turn away casual players in droves the first time they're dropped into the middle of an active combat zone.

Players that participated in the beta are at a clear advantage with their knowledge of the maps and classes. New players are mere cannon fodder, which would be fine except for the fact that the learning curve is made steeper by the fact that those players that invested money in the game have an even bigger advantage.

Yes, the scale is impressive, but when it comes to balance and pure fun, Battlefield 3 has it beat hands down. For pure multi-player joy, CoD: Black Ops II is a much better and polished product with moments of grin inducing mayhem. And for those of you PC guys with an Xbox 360, Halo 4 multiplayer stomps PS2.

The game just feels low budget and generic. PS2 would have greatly benefitted if they had simply charged for the game up front instead of nickle and diming players.
  95. Nov 22, 2012
    It's basically Halo + Battlefield 3 on a map that is about 75 km^2. Well balanced, and lots of fun with a good amount of character customization. Plus, it is completely free. If you choose to pay anything, the items you can buy are entirely side-grades and flair, and do not make you a better player. A level 10 that pays will be on equal footing with a level 10 that doesn't pay (notIt's basically Halo + Battlefield 3 on a map that is about 75 km^2. Well balanced, and lots of fun with a good amount of character customization. Plus, it is completely free. If you choose to pay anything, the items you can buy are entirely side-grades and flair, and do not make you a better player. A level 10 that pays will be on equal footing with a level 10 that doesn't pay (not that character level matters too much anyway, a max level character might be ~20% "better" than a level 1 because they can do minor things like add grips to their guns, carry more ammo and repair things quicker). My one complaint would me a lack of a meta-game, as you never get to a point where you "win". You can take over a continent for a brief period of time, but there is never a screen that says "round over, you win!". Only a permanent game over territory control. Capturing a base after a several hour assault still feels good though :P Expand
  96. Nov 22, 2012
    Great game, played since beta. It's one major flaw is that's it's near impossible to unlock anything, even for a free game. You usually start with simple one point certifications, but then the price skyrockets to 100's for a simple bonus. In fact, there is not a single weapon in the game for under 100 certifications.
  97. Nov 22, 2012
    Yeah this game is pretty overhyped. It was a poor choice to take on such extreme graphics for a F2P game. It looks great, but runs like trash. The scaling in reduction of graphical settings is subpar at best. This leaves anyone with a mid to entry level gaming rig excluded from enjoying this game. The gameplay is a whole different story. The map is a **** giving you so much information youYeah this game is pretty overhyped. It was a poor choice to take on such extreme graphics for a F2P game. It looks great, but runs like trash. The scaling in reduction of graphical settings is subpar at best. This leaves anyone with a mid to entry level gaming rig excluded from enjoying this game. The gameplay is a whole different story. The map is a **** giving you so much information you cant process what is going on. There is no clear objective as to where you should be headed or going unless you are in a squad and receiving orders from another player. The scale of the game is questionable at best. The game draws heavily from the Battlefield series, but fails to deliver a controled mechanism for preventing an all out **** to occur. I have found myself kill spawned over and over and over. I have found myself spawning in a group of friendlies only to be pinned down by superior enemy forces. There really is no protection or passive base defenses. Aside from this the battles can last for hours, or dare I say days? This kind of scaling isnt fun for the average gamers, if you cant sit down and accomplish something significant in a 30-60 minute period, than the game development has been designed to accomodate a niche group of hardcore players. All in all Planetside 2 really has some potential for further development. The scale of the game and the sheer rigorous pacing of the game will turn many players off. Expand
  98. Nov 22, 2012
    This game offers everything: action, strategy, graphics, free to play, action, and even more free to play. The game play is amazing and just what a lot of people have been looking for in a game. While most in most games, a lot is 64 people to a server, this game increases all previous limits of game play. The maps are bigger, the player number is bigger, and altogether, it makes it seemThis game offers everything: action, strategy, graphics, free to play, action, and even more free to play. The game play is amazing and just what a lot of people have been looking for in a game. While most in most games, a lot is 64 people to a server, this game increases all previous limits of game play. The maps are bigger, the player number is bigger, and altogether, it makes it seem like any war that would take place in real life. There is almost no way for one person to carry the entire race, no matter how much skill they have. With most games, skill is the most important factor, but with this game, while it still plays its part, strategy and numbers bring themselves in as dominating forces, making the game so much more realistic and exceeding all the expectations that I had for this game. SOE has done a brilliant job, and I hope to see more games like this in the future. Expand
  99. Nov 21, 2012
    At first I was really blown away by the game, then things started to get really boring, seeing as how SOE makes it extremely difficult to get different gear without paying for it. So customization is out the window. There's nothing really much to the game that's different from any other fps, other than the fact that you have very big maps, but even Arma easily covers that area. Then, IAt first I was really blown away by the game, then things started to get really boring, seeing as how SOE makes it extremely difficult to get different gear without paying for it. So customization is out the window. There's nothing really much to the game that's different from any other fps, other than the fact that you have very big maps, but even Arma easily covers that area. Then, I step back even further from the battles, and I see that basically, there isn't much chance of a faction winning an entire map, so it's just an endless war. After playing for approximately 6 hours straight, I'm not really impressed. I'm not shelling out money to enjoy myself. Expand
  100. Nov 21, 2012
    This game is not finished. It feels rushed. I tried playing it but given that there was little to no tutorial I found myself running around and dying repeatedly with no idea what I was doing. My default FPS experience worked fine when I was running and gunning with no real game plan; it was when I tried to play a medic or engineer that the true frustration came in. I'm generally a supportThis game is not finished. It feels rushed. I tried playing it but given that there was little to no tutorial I found myself running around and dying repeatedly with no idea what I was doing. My default FPS experience worked fine when I was running and gunning with no real game plan; it was when I tried to play a medic or engineer that the true frustration came in. I'm generally a support character because I feel that the 13 years olds' are simply better shots than me in my twenties. I like to heal people or repair generators.

My short stint in this game as a medic proved an act of futility. My attempt at reviving downed players resulted in bugs. Revive icons were always lateral to the actual downed player leading to much confusion on the battlefield and 90% of the time the game didn't even register that I was reviving someone! Nothing like standing out in the open with the camera pointing down for precious extra seconds hoping the medic gun would actually connect and I would not only do some good on the battlefield but earn my well deserved XP!

My stint as an engineer led to just as much frustration with the announcer stating there was a generator down without stating what generator or where. There was no tutorial for the HUD map so I had no idea if the generator even had a waypoint nor could I find a legend to speak of to figure it out on my own. Obsessively the announcer would inform me of a downed generator and it likewise being repaired but I gave up trying to find it after wandering aimlessly throughout all of the buildings dying over and over in an attempt to repair it! Finally as a standard, assaulting, run and gun player did I find ANY resemblance of a typical MMO shooter. The sheer number of players was both impressive AND chaotic since death literally loomed over every corner. This is more of a personal preference really since the original game was much the same. I personally think this volume is too much chaos but I can see the appeal.

In conclusion, this game DESPERATELY needs a proper tutorial outside of the gaming community to teach the various aspects of the game. Had I had such a tutorial I feel as though I would have been much more forgiving with the other faults as I could have at least participated in the fray instead of simply dying repeatedly in an attempt to bring myself to a mere novice level.

1. May 10, 2013