7.0

1. Dec 24, 2012
    This game is just amazing. But he is killed by his community. In fact, on my server 85% of Terran use hack. More than, cheat engine is available on all server, it is very stupid and destroy the game. Maybe 1 month for this game if nothing happen...
  2. Dec 24, 2012
    Don't play unless you're willing to shell some real cash, game is a true 'pay to win' game, and is very unbalanced. The game also renders poorly causing enemies to at times vanish or fail to render at all. Planetside is also very crash prone, It will crash at startup, it will crash while in game frequently, and will crash out half your squad at the same time. I've even had the launcher crash continuously forcing a re-install

Short: Don't Play.
  3. Jan 3, 2013
    This game lures everyone in with it's free-to-play style only to force (to stay competitive) the spending of money for "side-grades". Which are really either useless or a significant upgrade to give an advantage over new players. With the lack of good item descriptions or a community wiki the stuff you pay for may or may not be what you expected, not too mention most purchases fair greater than $7.00 which is outrageous. If you were to buy everything in this game you would end up spending nearly $350 doing so. The subscription feature at $15 month is barely worth it as well, you get a priority que, 500SC and some xp and resource boosts. Your money would be better spent on blackjack and hookers.

The game is constantly changing and still feels like a beta. As long as "x" amount of the community complains to Smedley and friends, there tends to be a change in the upcoming patch just for them. The hacking is apparent within the first 10 minutes of jumping into the game. The combination of free-to-play and the ability to simply use throwaway email accounts without the need for any other authentication attracts trolls from all bridges inside the internet.

The worst part of this game? There is barely any story or character development. It's almost as if someone spent an hour at most thinking about the lore and story of this game and decided that's what will be released. There is very little point to the game as well, let me summarize this. Launch game>>pod into somewhere>>farm xp>>farm xp>>farm some more xp>>about a day or two later>>unlock item>>rinse and repeat for months>>unlock all items>> ???. You'll quickly find out (especially in voice chat) how obsessive people become about unlocking the ultravortexcannon3000 for their hoopty that really the only thing that keeps people playing is the need to unlock more and more just to try and be the "best" or have the higher advantage. The game preys on the player's materialistic mindset. No one seems to care about base captures or defending, but rather KDR and just plain out kills and XP. Even capturing an entire continent (somehow the community's self-created climax of the game) feels completely pointless. The developers continue to produce more weapons and items (again "side-grades") to keep the players into the never-ending gotta catch em all mentality. Outfits, or guilds or clans or whatever you want to call them... Yes they can fix some of the above problems, but they can also create some of their own. Most tend to shy away from fun and get a little too serious. You'll find that out quickly when 15 old Billy gets home from the school and and logs into his squad leader account only to turn into a complete power-hungry douche. Billy will then give your squad orders to go defend the bottom corner of the map that hasn't seen action since the release of the game for hours on end. Oh and don't you dare question his authority or he'll make sure to start yelling "clear coms" as he's trying to talk to his dad about what their neglected mother is making for dinner. Who says "clear coms" anyways? "Standby" sounds a million times better and that's coming from someone who works with communications and radio on a day to day basis.

The community for the game as a whole really just tends to complain to oblivion. You can see this by logging into any of the popular message boards and half of any given page will start out with the titles "Suggestion", "Bug", "Why", "When" or "PSA"... Hell look at me, I was part of the community for the last three months and all I do is complain now. Prime example. Good day.
  4. Jan 5, 2013
    Soo many hackers. every big battle has atleast one hacker. You can even find live streams of them, it's rediculous. The game feels so bland too, all people do is spawn kill and capture and recapture the same **** all day.
  5. Jan 3, 2013
    Planetside 2 is essentially an unfinished game that is still in Open Beta and it retains none of the spirit and iconic features and game-play of the original. It is poorly optimized and still has a myriad of bugs, some of which are game-breaking, to put up with. Compounding these issues is the fact that SOE has the gall to charge money for side-grades/ monthly memberships for something that is essentially a COD/Battlefield clone. Also the game-play is repetitive and boring, and as for tactics, the zerg is the meta-game. Its a huge step back from what should have been a huge step forward, especially considering all of Planetside 1's good points, none of which where improved upon/implemented in Planetside 2. My verdict is that PS2 = fail. Expand
  6. Jan 5, 2013
    This game is dying very fast ... servers had very high population and every map was full of people and epic fight. Now every server is medium to low and only epic fights are on INDAR ( one map). AMERISH is always empty and ESAMIR almost too...
    Faction are very unbalanced and population is another topic... this game has a very bad problems in population and vehicle/weapons balance...

ZERGS.... WTF is this ? If you go with zerg it will be boring and easy mode for noobs.... if you go with small group you will be killed by enemy ZERG :D really?.
    Less and less people play this game every day and this game is all about mass fights with many people. But if this game doesnt have people, it will not have mass fights and everybody will return to BF3/COD ...
    This game will play only fanboys who say as always :" its a great game"... NO IT ISNT.
    This game has a great potentional but if devs dont fix all this problems they will lose a lot of people and money of course.
    I have played this game many many hours and spend a lot of money on it... and I can give you a advice... try it, have some fun and leave it if they will not fix it... DONT SPEND MONEY
  7. Jan 5, 2013
    So for whatever reason I can run BF3 on nearly high settings, but this game won't even run on the lowest. The devs did not optimize this game very well at all. FTP should also not be the future of PC gaming.
  8. Jan 5, 2013
    This game is dying. Steam stats show a near 50% decrease in users over the last month. One month ago it read out 19,299 peak Planetside 2 now it reads 11,299 peak Planetside 2. Its obvious as to why all the players are leaving. The game is not worth spending even $15 on. The servers are becoming increasingly smaller and some are just plain out unplayable.
  9. Jan 7, 2013
    When I first heard about Planetside2 I was beyond psyched for the release. I was a die-hard fan/junkie/addict of Planetside 1 and the thought of a new, up-to-date version of what I would have considered to be one of the most groundbreaking FPS games of my generation gave me goose bumps. I was fortunate to get into late beta and played for the final 3 weeks of beta through release. I've currently logged well over 300 hours of post release play time.

That being said. I really wanted to like this game. Every time I log into the game I don't think, "this game is so awesome". I think, "Man, I really miss Planetside 1". The truth is that the developers, Sony Online Entertainment, took what was an amazing original game and essentially threw it away. This is NOT a sequel to Planetside 1. It is a dumbed down, watered down, shallow ghost of the original. They managed to turn what was an amazing online shooter with a rich degree of depth and character into little more than a large scale COD-like fragfest with virtually no strategy or depth of play and where everyone is focused on K/D instead of teamwork and strategy. Combine this with massive in-game vehicle and infantry balance issues and the fact that that the development team has very little interaction with the player base and you have a recipe for low population of players on most servers where the term "Massive" is starting to become a bit of a stretch.

Planetside2 was clearly released to market way too soon. The game should have stayed in Beta for at least another 4 months. There are many bugs in the game and way too many balance issues at this time to retain a strong player base. At its core I think its clear that the folks in charge of this title (with such amazing potential) at SOE are the wrong people for the job and are basically steering this title into the ground.
  10. Jan 6, 2013
    PlanetSide's development team doesn't seem to understand what the game needs anymore, and the wrong people (those bridge-dwelling pieces of feces) seem to be the ones changing the balances to favour themselves.

Once upon a time (Beta) I had faith that this would be an extremely successful game with some optimization that could keep the game from looking like **** on any standard
    non-gaming devoted PC.

I think I started losing that faith when SOE introduced a weak store and jacked up prices. Not to mention that people started to realize that certs were taking way too long to acquire than before. It seemed like the devs' new idea of balance was a system that involved making aspects of the game much too expensive to even bother unlocking for most people. The slow xp gain rate seems to have been made to keep players hooked due to a lack of content.

I understand this is F2P, but doesn't anyone remember when Higby talked about how the gap between grinders/payers and casuals would be removed? Can anyone really say that's the case now? I don't believe so.

It's been nice participating in this game's (d)evolution.
    I wish you well Sony Online Entertainment.
    Perhaps I'll come back when you guys sort your shyte out, but then again, I might come back only to find empty servers and lost potential.
  11. Jan 6, 2013
    Hackers are everywhere. So far, I've seen Teleporters, Flash Gordons, Shoots Through Walls Man, Sees Through Walls Man, Magic OSHS(carbine) Engineer/Light Assault Guy, Invincible Man, the classic aimbotter, etc. I really regret spending money on this game considering hacking isn't going away. PS2 doesn't even have any anti-chest software, they ban solely on reports and stats. And sometime it takes a week for someone to get banned. Plus they only IP ban and we all know that isn't going to stop anyone from making a just new account with a different IP. Expand
  12. Jan 7, 2013
    This game had potential, but SoE's pay structure ruined it. Anyone with skill who doesn't want to spend money on the game can't enjoy the game because it's a struggle to level. While children with equally childish player names who spent their allowance on Station Cash sky rocket to level 30+ and then commence to harass anyone with unearned levels. Games with pay structures that affect direct purchase of gear and leveling just don't work and won't last. Expand
  13. Jan 12, 2013
    Spawn camping is a major problem and essentially shuts down almost any battle regardless of size. Nobody enjoys being hit by a liberator or tank round the second they leave the spawn. It greatly limits a factions ability to defend a base and makes capping significantly easier. Defending and resecuring bases is punished while attacking is significantly more rewarding. The meta game simply is not rewarding enough or important enough to even convince people to leave Inda. Low population servers. People bailing out of vehicles the second before they explode. (This is something that has just been annoying not really to big a problem) Expand
  14. Jan 13, 2013
    I wouldn't bother with this game, but chances are you will try it just due to all the hype.
    Let me start with the main problem with planetside - It is far too graphically demanding. Even some of the top end PC's and gaming laptops struggle to make this game run smoothly and it may cause you to buy better software and still discover the game cannot run. "But wait!" I hear you cry "My PC is
    amazing!" Then go play a far more enjoyable Free to play FPS such as Team Fortress. There is nothing unique about planetside other than its large scale gameplay, and if MAG taught us anything it's that this simply doesn't work. Combat is frantic and guns have no attachment to the player since they all feel generally similar and scenarios often involve two players meeting and the one winning being the one who clicks first. After a while this just gets boring and repetitive.
    Lastly, although it is beneficial for the creators to advertise this game as "Free" it is a micro transaction game, meaning if you really want to get anywhere with it your going to have to fork out.
    To conclude, I'd just say it's shocking how some people would rather play this than decent FPS' like battlefield or Halo.
  15. Jan 21, 2013
    Hackers. Hackers everywhere. Now the new hack added to all the regular ones is to somehow mess with the collision in the game to send you flying from the spawn half way across a continent to fall and die. This game is riddled with bugs and hackers everywhere.
  16. Jan 25, 2013
    Game is broken. Full of cheats and hackers - they can even teleport other players to their death now. Bugs - lots and lots of bugs, like falling through the floor, the ground, gun turrets that sometimes work and sometimes don't. I could sit and list all the bugs in the games, but I just don't care. SOE doesn't care - why should we care.
  17. Jan 25, 2013
    Lol at this game "becoming" an esport. The dev's made a terrible decision in this route. The game is far from competitive in the sense that there is absolutely no accomplishment in winning or losing. It is more of a marketing campaign than an actual competitive campaign.
  18. Jan 26, 2013
    A game should be fun, not a tedious grinding experience. In general it's an abusive environment with absolutely no immersive content. It's filled with hackers and players exploiting the unoptimized engine. There is absolutely no reason to spend any amount of money on this game and certainly is not worth the disk drive space on your PC.
  19. Jan 26, 2013
    John Smedley failed with SWG sinking it into the ground. Within one year he took a game with 1,000,000 copies sold down to nearly 10,000 subscribers still playing, then lied to the public on his failures. Why anyone let him be in charge of Planetside 2 is beyond me..
  20. Jan 26, 2013
    This game tries to be a bit of everything, and everything of nothing. The game is mostly over-hyped and doesn't live up to its reputation at all. Frustrating game mechanics make some very weird deaths. Like being killed by your own spawning turret, spawning under a Sunderer (mobile spawn truck) and getting killed by it, or getting killed because your tank couldn't push away a stack of crates. The money mechanics is basically terri-bad. You spend a large sum of "certs" only to unlock a weapon nearly identical to your default in terms of stats and looks.

Battles are somewhat interesting but not rewarding in the slightest sense of the word. Captured bases are only to be found retaken back by the enemy 3 minutes later. The entire continent you play on seems like a big deja vu, every base has the same structural features as the previous one.

All in all, if you come from the Battlefield franchise, you will be very disappointed in the game.
  21. Feb 2, 2013
    Oh god when will the bugs end? I've put up with it since release, but I'm done now. After the most recent game update the game has become unplayable for me. I highly regret the money I've spent on this game as things continue to grow worse. In large battles I'm lucky to get 4-10 fps when a month ago I was getting 30-40. I have a Phenom II 960T and a 6870. It's ridiculous.
  22. Feb 11, 2013
    Bad: Buggy, hackers, counter intuitive if you've played a lot of FPS games, over hyped, terrible hit registry, waste of time, download speeds are terrible.
    Good: it's free, it's good for pointing out BF3's failings, might be passable if you social life purely exists online.
  23. Feb 13, 2013
    The cheaters are out of control. The game is pretty boring. Every battle not at The Crown ends up being the more populated faction spawn room camping the less populated faction. There is little to no metagame. There is no reason to really play this game for more than a week or two. I like to call this a FTP throwaway game. Try it, toss it, go onto the next FTP game.
  24. Feb 17, 2013
    Free to play? lol. More like free to hack. Have fun spending $50+ dollars on items that are bound to a single character to get you your competitive edge, only to have a hacker spawn kill you for 10 minutes. This game is the most overrated game I have ever had the displeasure of playing. There are no active GMs, there is no anti-cheat detection. The only method SOE uses is reports from players followed by stats tracking. Sometimes it will take days to ban a hacker. Oh, but the game is FTP so what is stopping the banned hacker from just creating a new account? Nothing. Expand
  25. Mar 7, 2013
    This is nothing more than a laggy spawn camp. Really not worth the time to bother downloading it. Go play just about any other shooter for a better experience.
  26. Mar 26, 2013
    Purely idiotic game design. As you spawn into the game, you have no idea what you are doing. Distinguishing enemies from friendlies is a pain in the ass (some classes had similar body colours as the enemy team). And the best thing ever your weapons get if you accidentally shoot some idiot on your team. The only reason this cesspool of a game exists is because it is "free".
  27. Apr 7, 2013
    When I first started playing this game I actually enjoyed it. However, I started quite late and after a while I started to find this one of the most frustrating and unfair first person shooters I have ever played. New players are thrown into a battle as a level 1 and are mostly against lever 20s, not to mention the countless level 40s and even level 70s. They have much better weapons than you and even if you get the first shot you can almost bet your life that if they start shooting back its over. They also have better armour. The snipers in this game are ridiculous, yielding very powerful semi-automatics at a higher level. Eventually I found myself aiming to get one kill for every spawn in a battle because it was inevitable that either I will get shot to pieces by an experienced player or picked off instantly by a sniper.

Even if you're good at first person shooters don't expect that you will do just as well in this game. I guarantee that when you experience your first battle you'll be instantly killed with a few shots from a more experienced player with a much better gun than you. I stopped playing after I realised I was only re-spawning to be killed again. This game is unfair, unrewarding, frustrating and simply not fun. As other people have said, it's just a complete mess.
  28. May 21, 2013
    Let me preface this review by saying that I've been playing this game since the beta stage.
    The game is amusing, but highly overrated. It's fun for a bit and then you realize that you've accomplished absolutely nothing and you've been killed every 30 seconds by someone who has everything upgraded for their character. Even when you manage to take an entire section of the map you rarely
    have a sense of achievement.
    The maps are huge and pretty, but spawn points are obnoxiously far away which results in lots of time spent traveling from place to place. God-forbid anyone kill you along the way because then you'll have to start over.
    Weapons are insanely imabalanced, the Vanu's guns are about as strong as marshmallow shooters compared to the other two factions' weapons. Anyone who can gain a few points (which isn't hard at all) can then get a MAX suit or a tank, which are super overpowered for their prices. It varies depending on the time and server, but the New Conglomerate usually have way more people playing at once than the other two factions do.
    The game shows absolutely no mercy towards new players, you're thrown in with everyone else on the server and usually end up with the short end of the stick in every fight. There is no place for newer, underequipped players to go and work their way up to play with the higher leveled players. Newbies are dropped in the middle with everyone else.PS2 doesn't count running someone over as a teamkill, so trolls will often do that resulting in a "suicide" for you which has a longer respawn counter than usual.
    Lastly, the game is pretty but poorly optimized at the moment.; very buggy with its fair share of glitches. I've got a decent gaming rig: quad core CPU 3.4Ghz, 8GB RAM, & Geforce GTX 550Ti and I can't play the game smoothly unless everything is off or on low with a reduced render distance and 0% render quality.

Tl;dr Game is overrated, surprisingly imbalanced, NC are the zerg, noobs are doomed, glitches ahoy!
  29. Jun 5, 2013
    I would love to like the game more, but I feel like the more chances I give them to address the issues that bug me the more I am let down. A few things to note about the game off the bat: 1) Hit detection is client side. 2) The game is HEAVILY CPU bound. 3) It is free to play, and you could theoretically play without paying anything..but that would take ages. 4) Most vehicle weaponry costs 700 station cash (7 USD if you buy it straight up with no station cash sales).
    5) There are 3 factions, yet only two of them have any kind of face representing them on the dev team and one of the factions is heavily favored in the dev team.

So going down the list.

1) Hit detection being client side means the game has had droves of cheaters exploit that fact, and they have a hard time dealing with them. They have GMs announce their presence when they login so people can get cheaters dealt with a little faster, but these GMs are sporadic at best. And you have to either remember their name or hope you can scroll back to get it when you run into a cheater. Admittedly the cheating has gotten less rampant, but anytime there's a "special" XP event they come out of the woodwork and the GMs are never to be seen.

On the topic of cheaters, there are players who exploit the game or exploit the spirit of the EULA, get banned for a week or two...but get to keep all of their ill gotten XP with a slap on the wrist. Many of them being pretty well known players. You'll notice a few of them were BR 100 (max level) weeks, maybe months ahead of the everyone else. With whacked out stats that seem impossible as hell on their stats page. SOE claims to not condone this behavior, yet it does nothing to discourage aside from a week long ban.....it's a stupid policy and just asks for people to abuse it.

2) CPU Bound performance, Intel CPUs are the favored here. You want a higher clock speed rather than more cores as this game does not utilize cores very well. And often you will find your performance has dropped each game update. GPU matters, but not as much as it should.

3) & 4)

If you were to buy station cash right now to pay for something in game, it'd be 1 dollar for 100 station cash. They have deals where you can get double or triple station cash meaning 1 dollar would be 2x100 or 3x100. Or deals with places like Walmart where a 15 dollar game card 2000 station cash (20 dollar equiv) and can be doubled or tripled on the special deal events. But their prices normally are 7 dollars for any weapon worth having generally. Aesthetic items go from 100 to 2000 (different colored pistols being the highest priced item atm).

There are membership subscriptions, XP boosters, and many other things to buy for the game. All to speed up your XP gain which means more certs. Which certs are used to upgrade or buy weaponry. You can not buy aesthetic items with certs. It is much more time efficient to buy the weaponry with station cash that you buy on one of the 2x or 3x deals and use the certs to upgrade stuff only.

I will say I am a little under $100 bucks into the game at this point, and I used 2x/3x deals to buy the majority of it and bought a lot of my items in bundles or on daily deals (half off regular price for the day) to stretch out what I got. But on average I'm still paying 2-3 dollars per item.

Now this wouldn't be so incredibly bad IF the items were not constantly screwed around with and nerfed to make room for the "new" guns to come out to get people to buy it for the latest and greatest.

This is probably the primary reason I feel like the game is a sham right now, because they have to sell items to keep the doors open...so instead of making new interesting items, they keep reducing the effectiveness of existing weapons and pumping out similar items with old mechanics but better numbers.

I'd say I easily have 40 dollars worth of weaponry that I don't even bother trying to use because it's pointless to even waste time with it since they've ruined it. I will direct your attention to any HE turret, not only did they lengthen it's reload time to crazy times, but they also lowered it's ability to damage to vehicles and players significantly since the game has been released. You are better off using any other turret than the HE unless you are shooting from super far off at infantry. There are plenty of examples in every weapon type of this game where items were just made completely useless through constant intentional and unintentional nerfs.

5) It won't be a popular subject, but I play TR. I see that VS and NC are represented quite vocally on the dev team, NC especially with Higby. I'll just leave it at that, but I recommend picking NC if you want to be kept happy.

I am reviewing this the day Game Update 10 was released. I am not a happy player or customer with the direction this game is going and how slow they are to address things.
  30. Jun 22, 2013
    Game came out and was pretty solid out of the gate. In the last two months (writing this in June 2013), the development staff has made a ton of stupid decisions that have butchered what could have been a great game.

The Creative Director, Matt Higby, came out last week talking about why he's instating these inane "gameplay rules" and the necessity of them, but the changes show nothing
    but a lack of imagination and critical thought.

While in minor cases, they listen to the community at large, they seem to ignore what the playerbase is asking for a majority of the time. As time goes on, it becomes more and more apparent that this is just a money grab and not even remotely F2P.

The game becomes more P2W with every update and gets less fun to play every day. I'm sorry I spent a dime on this game and I hope others will think twice before they do.
  31. Jun 25, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Planetside 2 is one of the most disappointing games i've played. Some people think thousands of players battling on one big server is cool, but for me it makes the game laggy and frustrating. i cant walk out of spawn for three minutes without being bombarded with bullets to the point that i need to restart my computer. aside from that, the game is just a slightly hilly plain were snipers pick off everybody that walks out of a building, and if you escape that you find yourself in front of hundreds of enemy tanks and aircraft. There is no auto balancing of any kind that allows for players to face equally skilled foes. instead you spawn in, the game tells which button shoots and pushes you straight into battle. No vehicle piloting or aiming, what your enemies even look like. Another thing is that there is no way to earn better weapons other then buying them with real money, not in game credits or something. so unless you want to spend $500 on a game you haven't even really seen yet just so you don't die every two seconds, DON'T DOWNLOAD THIS GAME!

one more thing I forgot to mention is that when you try to log off it turns your screen black for about an hour and a half then just restarts the launcher. Its more of adware or some sort of troll virus then a game really.
  32. Aug 7, 2013
    This game was just bad honestly its a game where you can be terrible and win. The reason being is grab lock ons against vehicles. The client side programming means two major league bad things should you have a really bad connection you can go to town on people and they cant even see you. Also like 90% of the games files are on your pc thus making it extremely easy to patch and modify your game files; hence all the hackers found it the game(many are sneaky about it now however its still a huge problem). While your at it why not just buff one faction above the others time and time again without any consideration of balance or skill based weaponry. Oh and just to put the cherry on top of the cake they will ban you should you do good, don't believe me get a K/D of 20+ and you will shortly. As for the bugs planetside 2 is FULL of them LITERALLY most of which have been around since the alpha days. such as; falling through the ground being killed but being able to move around and look at people but not die when shot, graphical errors, floating buildings. And then the bugs that they think helps balance the game such as lock ons going right through walls, infantry not even rendering in many cases, huge de-sync problems when in a harasser. As for the content added--I don't think SOE knows the meaning of that because all they do is add generic guns and buff lock on rockets consistently. If you don't believe me look at the patch notes since the beta all they added was change around the warpgates(new only two times) the latus system(Which is horrendously worse then the system before) the harasser that is riddled with bugs and glitches to this day. Now speaking from a knowledgeable programmers perspective you know that SOE could not be dumber in using dx9 vs dx11 and also trying to make they're own engines just to save a little amount of money. Just to top it all off they released a TESTING server that what do you know they don't even USE TO TEST THINGS BEFORE RELEASE! I give this game a rating of 1 just for the sake that they tried to make the first game of its kind but they blew it so hard that I regret playing in the alpha/beta testing phase because that game was better when it was in testing phase otherwise it would be a solid zero. Expand
  33. Oct 6, 2013
    This is a Free2Play game and I still feel like I got ripped off. It's THAT bad. Great concept, absolutely terrible execution.
    1) Better have a high end PC or it's a no-go for playing.
    2) It's not a steep learning curve, it's a learning wall. One that you will pound your head against for hours upon hours.
    3) Vehicle controls...They are so bad that I have to wonder if SoE deliberately
    made them difficult or if they are actually THAT incompetent.
    4) This game is PAY TO WIN. Anyone saying different is LYING to you.

Game looks great on the surface. Just don't look to closely or you'll see all the cracks (that happened to be filled with crap)
  34. Oct 10, 2013
    When it launched, I thought PlanetSide 2 was going to be THE Game that was going to make me delete all my other ones. Huge maps with lots of enemies to fights, colorful graphics, lots of weapons, vehicles and other unique features. But after playing for a while I realized the game has no goal at all. It is a neverending deathmatch where no team can really win the game. I still log on once in a while and I find that there are less and less players on the servers, and those that remain are hardcore gamers with 1000's of hours played who have already reached the maximum level (makes it hard for noobies to get started). There appear to be a lot of balance issues between factions and vehicles vs infantry. In conclusion, the game has lots of potential but really lacks some very important features that would keep the players interested. Expand
  35. Oct 22, 2013
    Terrible terrible. No real feel of accomplishment, flying is impossible, or using any vehicle really. Everything dies in about 2 seconds, and your respawn timers are 20 seconds for inf, 15+ minutes for vehicles. Its dreadfully boring and you are forced to play infantry. Only the elite get to play with vehicles. And even then the Elites are stopped from playing because pleb guns like lock on rocket launchers literally shoot a rocket out that goes directly to the closest enemy vehicle u were looking at and hits it. People spend about 1000 hours of playtime to be able to fly and brand new players need about an hour to get lock on rockets and ruin everyone's fun.

It's interesting at first, but play it for more then a week with at least 2 hours a day playtime and you will realize getting any new weapon from earning certifications is impossibly elongated. This is due to the Free To play model that it has. Which also forces SOE to make weapons/vehicles over powered when they first release them, so that they sell better, which they then nerf to the ground, wasting your money or time you have spent. Everything is about seven dollars each, a gun, a camo, a hat, you name it. And most of the time you will accidentally realize what you bought was a waste, due to not exactly understanding how precisely the weapon or game works.

In this game you can level up. There is no point in leveling up, you get nothing for it, and when you cap to 100 you still get nothing. People don't even acknowledge it in the game. Even the people who are lvl 100 don't really like the game, because they too know all of the above and have just exploited it against other players.

Go play battlefield 4.
  36. Dec 22, 2013
    Alright so where to start I'm an avid gamer and I gotta say planetside 2 I am a shamed to say I put a sum of money(200$+) and 1 year and almost 1 month later all I have to see for it is this -tons generic guns -Low to no skill gameplay -1 new vehicle -a engine -massive amount of flaws and bugs SOE really messed up and I really hope if you read this you don't put money into that terrible game. Expand
  37. Nov 29, 2013
    I played this game for over a year, I've seen it's ups and downs, it's failures and successes. Let me tell you that I had some truly epic moments that immersed me in the world and that I will remember forever. But that's not the kind of thing the game promotes, you see, SOE has a very unclear goal for this game. It started of as a game that seemed to take itself pretty seriously, there were clearly defined factions, lots of robust lore, and it at least made an attempt to immerse the player in it's world.

Since then Planetside 2 has been on a downward spiral. with SOE needing more funding they turned to sillier and sillier ways of milking people for money. It started off fairly tame, a couple hockey masks and a skull mask as cosmetics. But it just kept going and going, eventually ending at to the point where it is today. There are ridiculous camo options ranging from palm tree to zebra stripes, there are fireworks launchers, evil laugh horns, confetti C4, MLG decals, overt promotions, etc.

Don't expect to get immersed enough to enjoy the game after the novelty of big battles wears off and reveals the abhorrent money grubbing underneath.
  38. Dec 30, 2013
    Game is riddled with bugs and balance issues, the community is infested with trolls and ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥s and the amount of time you have to sink in till you have gear to compete with the rest of the players in the game is huge.
    The game is more about being fair then accuracy. Small arms fire can destroy a tank in a few seconds and aircraft in even less time. They have these wonderfully high end
    weapons that you can purchase with real money and when you get them into the game they unmodifiable compared to their counterparts as to be obsolete immediately. To keep things real fair anything you spent hard cash and not game certs on has little to no ability to hit most targets unless they are conveniently standing still. An assault rifle has better effective range and does more damage then a sniper rifle of the same type with a a better scope. The effective rang of most of your weapons is close range or beyond what the games render distance will allow you to see, and there fore lock onto and hit. This does not stop players who use (supposedly illegal and banned) add ons to hit you beyond ranges you can effectively return the favor. There is no combat and tactics just the almighty zerg push. One side gets enough players together and rolls over anything in their way.
    Until they redesign the unlock progress for weapons, fix a lot of major bugs that cause crashes or other frustrating issues and finally fix the balance problems between the 3 empires. than it's worth trying out till than ignore the game, don't let it suck you in so you don't end up being surrounded by and trolls all day. For what is supposed to be a future based game many of the game toys and tools are amazingly primitive and difficult to use

I only play the game because there's nothing else to play, every other Multilayer game I ahve tried multiple times is somehow even worse and even more boring than Planet side 2, i guess that's the only good thing i have to say about PS2, it's at least not as bad as Battlefield,Call Of Duty or the new horrible Team Fortress 2 aka Hat Fortress 2 called nowadays.
  39. Jan 18, 2014
    Good premise, and false promises.

The game is only starting to deliver one year after launch, but expect it to be open beta until at least mid 2014, until then you can still have simple-minded fun on the biggest team deathmatch ever made.
  40. Feb 23, 2014
    Heard about this from a friend. 'Yeah its more fun if you have some friends to play with.' he said. Little did I know how right he was. If there's one thing I've learned over the years its that the phrase "If its too good to be true, it probably is." and this phrase fits PlanetSide 2 PERFECTLY. Most of the information on the official website is half lies, outdated information, or flat out lies.

For example:

"PlanetSide 2 features incredible continent maps with dozens of square kilometers of seamless gameplay space; every inch of which is hand-crafted, contestable space. With the territorial control meta-game, landmass has intrinsic value."

The continents' layouts are about as bland as can be. Yet another victim of "symmetry = balance" as if planets are supposedly symmetrical in nature. In reality its more of copy pasted a third of a continent then rotated and add some unique name. Literally. The same mountain you just past there's another two more somewhere. They honestly thought that because of the size you wouldn't notice it. Its noticeable. Most of the special points (such as biolabs or domes or whatever they call it) are exactly the same as they are on other continents. Just a different tileset. Then there's the 'massive' part of the game. It states there can be up to 1000's of players in a battle. Remember: the players are spread out over these large continents. So the actual saturation of players is fairly low except at one or two points.

"...PlanetSide 2 battles can last for days or even weeks, and finally taking control of the base means it's yours until someone can take it back. Working strategically as a team to capture key tactical positions such as power plants and ammo depots have long-lasting effects that can shift the tide of battle. Victory requires strategic teamwork and a quick trigger finger to survive the massive battles."

Do they mean the war for the continent or the battle for a territory? The territorial battles could last anywhere from about 3 minutes (its just you sitting around waiting praying some resistance) to a couple of hours (very rare). The amp stations (power plants), bio-domes and tank factories (I forget their names) don't do as much as the site makes you want to believe. The only incentive you have to capturing these are: 1.) you get more experience for capturing it. 2.) Each of these special points gives you a mediocre bonus: the bio-domes add a really minor regeneration to your health, the tank factories allow you to acquire main battle tanks outside of your warpgate and the amp stations increase the time it takes for a turret to overheat by about 1 second or so (when if you pause for a couple of seconds just before you overheat you'll be fine). I believe they don't even stack.

Then we have the supposed 'victory'.

So after running around capping one point after another for some experience and certs, you get the continent capped. Victory right? Wrong. You don't even get a message let alone any sort of reward. There's absolutely no reason why you should hold a point or cap a point except for experience for capping it. The only thing you get for completely capturing a continent is a puny cost decrease to aircraft, infantry stuff, or vehicles (a whole 10% or 15%!). That's it. Not even an anti-climatic "your empire has captured the continent of ___." No experience reward, no congratulations, no climatic battle. Then as soon as you leave the enemy empire you now warpgated just captures the territory back.

What they don't tell you:

- It takes you an absurdly long time to get any of the 1000 cert weapons (upwards of 1 month) without paying for a subscription. Once you hit battle about rank 37, it takes literally ages to get to the next rank without a subscription.

- The guns are absurdly overpriced (normal guns are about (US)$5.75 (or is it 7.50) for a 500 or 250 cert one and ~$10.00 for a 1000 cert one. Then for the golden guns they're $20.00 or so. Remember: 100 SC = $1.00.

- Everyone says its "Not pay-to-win" they are correct in one way: you pay, but you can't win (there's no victory objectives outside of capture a point move on to the next). You start off horribly ill equipped compared to people who've been playing and need months to get better equipped.

- It is horribly optimised. Expect frame rates of less than 15 in big battles or even moderate battles with anything less than a mid-range PC.

- You WILL be killed every 10 or so deaths by an infiltrator with an SMG that decloaks behind you and kills you in about 3.2 seconds.

- You CAN/WILL be sniped by an enemy you cant even render!

-- The verdict --
    The fun really dies out after you screw around for a little while then only becomes fun with friends. Just don't expect to meet many here. The community is full of trolls and immature kids (LOTS of 10yr olds).

NOTICE:
    Player experience will vary greatly. Try it yourself. Just don't spend a dime until you know you like it and will play it for a long time.
  41. Feb 27, 2014
    It's a great game in all but they love to screw over their customs as much as possible few nerfing weapons and to deleting times/remaking it with a different features. So I am not very happy on how the deal with customer loyalty.
  42. Mar 16, 2014
    Alright so this is the garbage that can be produced by 30+ million dollars, the game seemed to look decent at best but it seems these developers are absolutely clueless on how to make a proper game its been over a year and literally all they have to show for it is a bunch of generic or op weapons that a player whom has brain damage could use. To top it off its networking code is horrendously bad and they seem to want to buy the cheapest possible servers and think they can get away with it. Instead of doing any real content to maps the edit old ones since they seem completely incompetent towards making a new map. I wouldn't recommend this game to anyone but my 6 year old son but oh wait he doesn't even like it because he knows its no better than a glorified tdm, and he actually would prefer to play cod since he can even tell that its networking code is better. Expand
  43. Jul 9, 2014
    Played PS2 Beta, worked like a charm.

Played PS2 official release, biggest clusterf*ck broken failure of an FPS I've ever seen in my life.

Played PS2 now two years later with promises of the game being "better than ever", Still a broken-down piece of garbage with dying behind walls and population differences of 10%+.

Just.. F*ck off already, SoE.
  44. Aug 10, 2014
    I'm giving this a 2 only because it was recommended by friends and looked like it had potential.

Upon launching the game you have little to no idea what anything means. You are asked to select a faction and a server, then immediately dropped into a complex deployment screen with zero direction. Given that there's no single player or tutorial of any sort, it's nothing other than a
    blind jump into the action. There's a little help icon in the corner that gives you some vague idea of what things mean, but the word "detailed" definitely doesn't come to mind.

Now I use the term "action" loosely as you had better have a pretty high end system to run this game at anything other than minimal settings (if you want a half decent frame rate). I run an AMD quad core system with 4GB of memory and 2 1GB Radeon HD4850s in Crossfire. Definitely not "new" by any means, but this is the first game I've come across that I haven't been able to run at moderate settings. Not to mention that even at high settings with a horrible frame rate, the graphics are anything but impressive. Being a software developer I feel confident in saying: "This game reeks of rushed development and inefficient code". There are many game engines out there competing to be the best. This one gets a participation award and rides the short bus.

The Gameplay:

After selecting a class and a spawn point that you've convinced yourself is somehow "strategic", you're dropped into either: a) the middle of the fight, or b) "I better grab my hiking boots, granola, and a couple of beers for the trip to the fight". I would recommend going with option 'a' seeing as your n00b level character results in doing it all over again after taking 2 hits (if you're lucky). The controls are jerky and unresponsive, and the limited HUD indicators are so small that they might as well not be there.... That's assuming you know what they mean in the first place. "Blue friend, red foe" I got that much.

The Community:

This was the kicker... Seeing as there is no easy in for new players to this game, you would hope that some of the more experienced players would take pity on you and be willing to show you the ropes. After naming my character "Noob[somethingsomething]", trying to introduce myself, and asking a few beginner questions on chat (to which I received no response), I determined this was not the case. I continued to try and figure things out on my own. After dying a few dozen times, I finally got my first kill! I was playing as the infiltrator class, as sniper is always my default, and finally got an enemy in my sights (before being obliterated by a tank or some other form of heavy artillery). I took the shot. Still not sure if it was the horrible frame rate, the bullet travel delay (which I never determined was actually there or not), or my degraded aim due to my current level of frustration, but I hit and killed... a team mate. Upon respawning, I was immediately killed by said team mate.

In Conclusion:

I say "No thanks". If you're the type that's excited by the prospect of overcoming the frustration and ostracism that goes along with conquering the mastery of a poorly built, elitist, complex MMO with zero direction, this game is for you. If you're looking for a new game to enjoy and play casually; look elsewhere.

1. May 10, 2013