7.2

1. Jan 28, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Telltale Games Nice try...

Well I love Texas Hold'em Poker and this was a decent try from Telltale Games. It's fun to cure boredom but that is mostly it, The comments from Max (Sam & Max), Strong Bad, Heavy Weapons Guy (TF2) and Tycho are funny as hell, but only for the first 2 tourneys, then you have heard them all about 20 times and you find yourself right clicking constantly to skip the chatter, Even setting the Chat settings lower doesn't seem to help.

Also the game mechanics and AI poker skills aren't really steady , One game an AI will play super tight and the next tourney that same AI plays every hand and goes all in with cards like 5,8 Off suite before the flop...

What I am getting at is that it's a fun game for when your internet is down and you are bored but don't buy it expecting it to be the WOSP.

My Rating - 1/5
  2. Jan 4, 2014
    If all you care about is TF2 unlocks then this game is a 10 out of 10 as it can be found for as cheap as 99 cents. Yay! (Okay you can stop reading now)

If you are also interested in the actual game itself then feel free to read on.

Poker Night consists of You, Max, Strong Bad, Tyco, and the TF2 Heavy sitting at a table playing Texas Hold'em poker. There are some rather pointless
    cosmetics unlocks (tables and in-game card decks) and of course the all so tasty TF2 items (which I'll get to later).

From a game standpoint the graphics and sound work are good. Production value is right up there too as we get dramatic camera angles and sound bites during the tense moments. And of course lots of banter from the AI players that keep things interesting for a bit.

But, invariably with a game like this the lines are limited. After and hour or two the AI will have to start repeating the same quips over and over which will become more of an annoyance than a positive. You can turn down the chatter setting to the lowest, but it won't matter two hours tops and you've heard almost everything. There is no way to mute them so be prepared to have to constantly speed click through their conversations for the rest of your play time.

Progression wise the game tracks how many hands you've played and won; how many all-ins successfully won-lost, number of players you have knocked out, and of course your overall winnings. Nothing special. Why they don't track second, third, or fourth place finishes or reward you for it is beyond me... instead its an all or nothing affair that more often than not will result in you tracking your progress by your ever increasing negative bank account debt. Hooray?!

But, the true real reason I give this game a 7 is the TF2 items. Its the reason most people buy this game and its what gives the game its re-playability as its the only goal worth achieving. Unfortunately, Tell Tale made it annoying as fk to unlock them. Maybe once in every 8 tournaments one of the AI players will throw in their item and the only way you can win it is by knocking that specific player out. Its pure coincidental luck for this to happen rather than any form of skill. You have to have better cards than that player, have more money than him, then get him to go all in. At any point another AI can knock the guy out and the item goes away. A more sensible fair skill-based solution to unlocking these items would have given the winner of that tournament the prize, but Tell Tale wanted to be annoying a-holes apparently.

Anyways, if you want these items you'll basically have to constantly restart the matches until an AI throws in the item. Then don't bother playing for real... just wait, hope you have more money than him, then go all in whenever he does no matter how crappy your cards are and pray for luck. Its really stupid.

As for unlocking the items legit? Good luck. I've been playing legit for over 8 hours now and haven't unlocked a single TF2 item. Getting so annoying I'm either going to start up the constant restart ALT+F4 bull**** or try and see if The Achievement Manager works. Sure hope they changed the TF2 unlocks in Poker Night 2 cause this system is pointlessly dumb
  3. Dec 31, 2013
    Upon playing this game, I am left with an existential question: who likes facials so much that they'd play this? And then the sequel? Because that's what this is, a giant facial... But it's not the high class, good facial gangbang scene with A-listers that gets you off: it's Tycho, Sam or Max from Sam and Max, Strongbad, and the Heavy. Let's choose the four people from gaming history with absolutely no history or personality, throw a poker game on it that depends on the charms of characters, and sell it to people. Seriously. What the hell am I playing? And why the hell am I playing it?

If you are one of the six people who love Tycho, Strongbad, the Heavy, and Sam (or Max?) alongside poker, this is a solid buy. Otherwise, it's an poor-to-average hold'em game without the ability to skip dialogue or make hands faster, so there's very little reason to play this over something worthwhile... Unless you like streams of digital cum on your face. And even if you do enjoy streams of digital cum upon your face, there's no in game way to bet on it, so you'd be better off playing something else.

^^
  4. Dec 26, 2013
    Maybe this doesn't have as much content as your typical video game, but for the game it is trying to be it is very, very good. For a poker game it is very impressive.
  5. Aug 22, 2013
    Poker night at the inventory has funny dialogue and funny interactions between the characters. But to be honest you'll probably play it legit for a bit, then do some system to get the items(that is, not playing properly not actually a cheat but yeah). If you're in to TF2 and want the items then I can recommend it but otherwise unless you're an avid poker fan, give it a miss.
  6. Aug 9, 2013
    This game delivers way more than asks (8 bucks). It's a nice time killer. It's great to see our favorite characters out of their games and kinda interact with them,
  7. Jul 20, 2013
    If you are looking at this game, odds are you are looking at the Team Fortress 2 items it unlocks as you progress through the game. And really, that's the main concept behind the game. That doesn't necessarily mean the game is "bad", just not worth replaying. Telltale does provide us with some humorous commentary from the franchises involved such as Sam & Max and Team Fortress, this keeps the game from wearing out quicker than it usually does. The poker itself is pretty unremarkable, but the dialogue keeps it going. As you beat your opponents and unlock items for TF2, the dialogue does start lose its humor and becomes repetitive. And once you do collect the last item, there's really no reason to play again, and it seems that was Telltale was going for in this game. Unless you play TF2 (and care about cosmetic items) or are die-hard fans of the franchises, there's no reason to purchase this game. Despite this, the game is worth the price tag of $5 for the funny commentary and items you receive as you play. Expand
  8. AWG
    Jun 17, 2013
    Poker Night at the Inventory is just another poker game but with its original style: you'll play against characters from other video games. Wow! Great ideas! Too bad no one really cares about these characters (Tycho Brahe from Penny Arcade, Max from Sam & Max, Strong Bad from the eponymous series of adventures, Heavy from TF2). Also, their witty and funny lines are witty and funny only the first three times you listen to them. And you'll get to listen them again, and again, and again... Expand
  9. Jun 1, 2013
    This game could be fun if it had a multi-player component. it gets pretty dull just playing single-player with a bunch of computers.
  10. Apr 27, 2013
    This game is even steeper first chasti.bolshe modes of 2.Zaochki can buy various backgrounds and more drugoe.Omaha Hold'em and this is the first kruto.Eto steeper chasti.Tut can win items for TF2 and borderlends 2.A I have made ​​a pre-order and I was given the first part and there identity as cool. Only here for more vozmozhnostey.Luchshy poker all the time of my life!
  11. Mar 28, 2013
    Lately people have been tending to play casual Texas Hold ‘Em Poker games on several website’s, including Facebook and Telltale Games had seen the increase of regular people wanting a go at casino games and took the opportunity to make something out of it. This is where Poker Night at the Inventory jumps in.

While I generally don’t tend to spend any money on games like Poker Night at
    the Inventory, the fact that it has four different character from different games certainly did the trick for me. In the game itself, you get to play Texas Hold ‘Em Poker with Max from Sam and Max, Strongbad from homestarrunner, Heavy Weapons Guy from Team Fortress 2 and Tycho from Penny Arcade each of these characters are completely the opposites from each other which leads to various and hilarious conversations during the games. However, once you end up playing against one character because the rest is busted out the conversations tends to dry out as every few rounds the same will be said over and over again. A downside is that you cannot create your own character which could have brought slightly more diversion in the game as they could have added a few characters which you could choose from and gave them their own voices and lines.

The game-play is what you should expect from a typical card game, you get to see the cards in your hand and when it’s your turn, the buttons will appear for you. In the meantime the characters are all jabbing at each other or telling stories. However, the longer you play, the more known you will become at the way the character plays and you will be able to read from their faces wether or not they have good cards or are simply bluffing. One thing you should know is that there is no multiplayer option in Poker Night at the Inventory, nor is there an option to invite your friends. While I do understand that there are multiple players who prefer to play alone, I’d rather play some fun games with friends from time to time as well. Another downside of the game is that there is no option of changing a few rules or even playing some of the games that are inside the Inventory. A few mini-games could have been added to change the scene from time to time but you’re stuck with playing Texas Hold ‘Em Poker.

As for the graphics, they are certainly not bad for a game that purely focuses on the card game itself and the conversations being held. However, Tycho seems to be out-of-place as he is more cartoonized than the other characters. The building and the room itself are decent enough as well and when a character is busted out from the game, you can see them running around in the room or playing other games which certainly gives some depth to the room you’re in. Even if you will be paying more attention to the cards being dealt.

This review can be found on my blog: http://titangamereviews.wordpress.com/
  12. Jan 24, 2013
    Fun...Easy to play...gets boring after a few hours of playing. I believe most people have bought it because TF2 stuff...which i think its worthless because it does not enhance anything in that game.
  13. Jan 24, 2013
    Not the most ground-breaking game and the graphics engine is a bit creaky, but this game is so funny, that you'll forgive it. Poker is a classic game and this is one way of playing it without taking it to the level of genuine gambling. I heartily recommend Poker Night at the Inventory.
  14. Jan 10, 2013
    For what it's supposed to be, it's great and certainly worth the cheap price it sells for. Graphics are cartoony and fit the style of the game perfectly. It's simple, it's just poker with funny game characters. And if that's all you expect and want, you'll want to play this game at least a couple times and then abandon it because this doesn't feel like a game you could play all day every day.
  15. Nov 5, 2012
    The AI is really bad, there is plenty of free poker games that easily surpass this one. Some of the lines are funny, but they get repetitive very quickly. Only really worth purchasing for the TF2 loot, but you have to suffer through a bunch of bad poker games and stale jokes to get them.
  16. Jul 21, 2012
    This game is hilarious, not to mention stuff you'll get on TF2 for playing this game, which is another awesome game. However, it would be nice if the game had more features, such as more kinds of poker. Overall, the game is nice, but it could definitely expand.
  17. Jul 21, 2012
    I really enjoy this game. I think I got it for the TF2 items, to be honest, but I seem to play it from time to time even though I already have the items! Some critics say the dialogue can get boring. Sure, if you play for hours at a time, and only eliminate the same person over and over. If you take breaks, maybe vary your gameplay, the dialogue is hilarious! I've had the game for months, I've played over 30 hours, and STILL I hear new phrases every so often!

Definitely recommended.
  18. Jun 30, 2012
    This game is my ultimate time-killer. But it doesn't just kill time. It stabs it to death, destroys its innards, dumps it into a landfill, and dumps recycled aluminum all over it. To put it slightly less gruesomely, I love this game.

Graphcs: 9 out of 10.
    The graphics are some of the best I've ever scene out of Telltale Games. The lighting is very '30s nightclub, and the effects and
    textures are very high quality. The animation on the models are very smooth. Most lip-syncing is very top-notch but some lip movements are of in comparison to the dialogue. The game is not without its graphical glitches, though. I've seen cards floating over the Heavy's head, chips moving to the middle by themselves, among others. They are funny, so it's nothing to worry about, unless you worry about that sort of thing.

Gameplay: 9 out of 10.
    This game is a point-and-click simulated poker game. The controls are very simple using buttons and a slide to bet, raise, call, check, and fold. If you don't know anything about that stuff, look it up.

Controls: 9 out of 10.
    The mouse pointer and buttons work perfectly. There's not much else to say.

Audio: 10 out of 10.
    The game's audio is the pearl in this clam. The cast includes William Kasten as Max, Gary Schwartz as the Heavy, Matt Chapman as Strong Bad, Roger Jackson as the Host, and Tycho Brahe's first ever and hopefully permenant voice actor, Andrew "Kid Beyond" Chaikin. All characters have a boatload of dialogue and can interact with each other in rib-hurtingly comical ways. Conversations between characterscan be interuppted, though, so anticipate a few bugs. But for the most part, the system works well. The dialogue is funny and will keep you laughing for hours. The music consists of jazz remixes of music from Sam & Max, Homestar Runner, and Team Fortress 2 media. The remixes are catchy and top-notch. Overall, you should buy this game just to hear these guys talk to each other.

One last thing I should mention, this game is only $5! All the quality you get is well worth more than $5, but this MSRP makes this game irresistable for any poker enthusiast or comedy lover. Get it now!
  19. May 19, 2012
    A decent poker game which is honestly just massive fanservice, but manages to remain fun and engaging with the four different characters you can play against. This and the Team Fortress 2 items are the primary reasons most people buy this game.
  20. Apr 27, 2012
    As a new Telltale advocate I may say it's surprising to see how much the experience of a game changes when your script is not onomatopoeic. Not being a fan of poker games and not expecting much from a poker game i was happily surprised. They actually achieved a group game experience in a game which nature could be totally dry. Impressed may i say. Good fun, some laughs and elemental poker.. plus some items for TF what more can u ask for such a small price? Maybe a patch with extra characters and more dialog (wouldn't mind paying some bucks for other items and extra content for this game)... beyond that... surprisingly great! Expand
  21. Apr 22, 2012
    Love poker games ? Would you like to play with some of the biggest characters of gaming history ? Get this game then and enjoy the night at the inventory while the participant get more and more into the competition spirit.
  22. Dec 19, 2011
    When you play poker with famous video game characters you know something interesting is going to happen, that's the case with this game, the hilarious conversations between the characters shown in this game are just great and winning Team Fortress 2 items is also great. This game is supposed to be a poker game though, at that this game is good but not great. there is only one game mode and there is not much more into the gameplay apart from changing card decks and tables. The price of five dollars is a great price if you want to get distracted and laugh for a couple of hours and if you want to get free Team Fortress 2 items. It's a great game to buy for a low price and some good gameplay. Expand
  23. Oct 22, 2011
    Lets be honest, you are only intrested in this game for the TF2 loot.... and maybe a few funny lines from the familiar characters (but those will run out veeery quickly, and then you will hear same ones, over and over again). As a poker game, its mediocre at very best, the AI doesn't act very much like real poker players would (not to mention bugs, which are plenty). Overall, its a good deal for this price, but as i said, for the loot and humor, not for the poker. Collapse
  24. Aug 24, 2011
    There wasn't much to this game but it wasn't necessarily a bad game. It's basically how the description made it out to be. It is basically a poker game with cameos from other characters from other games. It basically makes you feel like you are playing poker with them.
  25. Jul 22, 2011
    I do like Poker....... But in order for you to succeed as a player pro tip: FORGET EVERYTHING YOU KNOW ABOUT POKER!! Here's another pro-tip: Bet high regardless of what you've got and pray they don't call you - these characters bottle it WAAAAY too easily. And prepare to be annoyed as the game cons you out of virtual money, and gives you the worst cards this side of the moon - I folded 15 times one round, I could only play one hand which was Ace-King, got a full house and ended up losing to a straight which came out of NOWHERE!! And last time I checked, a straight was lower, lower no-less than a full-house. How does that make any sense Tell-tale?? I lost the Iron Curtain over that!

Seriously, good game and all but it's a no-good-cheating game, and minus the heavy and iron curtain you very quickly grow to hate the characters...specially Strong-Bad, what a dick!
  26. Jul 4, 2011
    This game would be worth the time to download it if it were free. The AI knows what cards will be in play ahead of time, consistently going all in with absolutely nothing and pulling out a straight when the final card has been played. I thought I could just buy the game and get the items for TF2 without playing this piece of **** but that is not the case.
  27. Jun 22, 2011
    This is outright the best poker game that I have ever played. The reasons are numerous: the conversation is humerous, the AI is challenging (and will learn your strategies if you play the same way over and over again), and the graphics are entertaining in themselves (you'll see a strange incorporation of 2-bit characters with the visually pleasing graphics akin to Team Fortress 2; a strange combination that somehow is blended very well).

For $5, this challenging poker experience with the promise of TF2 items - should you earn them - is well worth the low cost. The impressive AI, which is divided according to each character's personality and which can learn the player's strategies, makes this a poker game worth the price in itself. That is to say that if you like poker, then this game is worth the buy, but don't buy it just for the promise of items (because they are not necessarily easy to get) or just because of the commentary, because it will eventually start looping though that will take about 5 hrs to really happen a lot.

With all this said, there are a few things you should be aware of. First off, there is only one type of card game that I have found - Texas Hold 'em. (There are unlocks as you play through the game, but so far all I've found is that they merely change textures, such as giving you TF2 labeled playing cards.) Another thing is that there are only so many characters in this game, so it probably won't be long before you tire of them: though they are funny for at least awhile and you can turn off converstations afterwards. Lastly, you will quickly tire of the music... which is basically one or two tracks played over and over and over again... but if you turn the music off and turn Pandora on you should be fine.

With all of this said, it certainly stands as a good game worth $5 that is a nice break away from just shooting things up. It would be a 9.5 from me, but since I can't give it that, I round to 10.
  28. May 27, 2011
    The guys have got it when they would say that it would be a poker game featuring 4 characters, but that's about it. What I mean is: there is hardly any other casino card games besides Hold 'Em. At least add like stud, draw, Blackjack, or something like that. For five bucks, and as a poor lad, I probably would have gotten something better with my money. And I'm not a big fan of probability simulators, as the odds are the computer wins more often that what they should be. Expand
  29. Dec 27, 2010
    Le doy la mejor nota que pueda dar bueno la mejor que puedo dar es un 10 pero bueno es bueno porque en Team Fortress 2 te dan armas nuevas etc... Es divertido y tiene gracia. Bueno vale la pena comprarlo por su precio tan bajo y porque es bueno.
  30. Dec 19, 2010
    It is the day before I bought Poker Night as part of the STEAM Treasure Sales: I don't know how to play poker. The day after, I know easily how to play poker. The game is also extremely hilarious and definitely worth the money.
  31. Dec 4, 2010
    I preordered Poker Night purely for the items, but found it so much better than expected. Telltale have done a magnificent job in combining multiple video game personalities into a casual environment, and can play a good round of poker too! Despite the high production values, I do have a few irks with the game, particularly the dialogue used. After playing for about 3+ hours, you will probably find that each of the character's general lines tends to repeat - a LOT, especially for Max. ("Can you believe these cards actually smell like detritus?") It can get particularly annoying at times, especially when you have an item buy-in round occur frequently. Also, sometimes the characters may use lines that are out of context, sometimes addressing others when they aren't actually there, which can make things feel a little weird. Dialogue between the characters can be pretty funny at times, most notable lines being from the Heavy and Tycho, though you may have to be fans of Strong Bad's Game..., Sam & Max, TF2 and Penny Arcade to get some of the humor.
    In addition to the whole poker thing, there's... nothing, which isn't really a problem since it is a poker game after all. However there are the aforementioned TF2 items (which are actually just skinned versions of the default items) and unlockable deck and table skins for the game (but for some reason I prefer to stick with the default Inventory deck and table).
    Otherwise, it's a quite enjoyable game, well worth the $5, except maybe for the sometimes overly repetitive dialogue. Recommended, though play in short bursts so you don't get sick of the dialogue too quickly.
  32. Nov 24, 2010
    This is how a Poker game should be, you feel like your playing with Tycho, Max, Strong Bad, Heavy. You feel like they're real people playing with you. You also get TF2 Items and side-stories for the characters, you can't go wrong! (10.0)
  33. Nov 23, 2010
    This game is actually really hilarious. I didnt expect much from 5 dollars but its absolutely worth it. And you cant feel anymore awesome playing poker with the heavy. Plus you get tf2 items! Great poker game.
  34. Oct 22, 2011

1. Jan 26, 2011
    No matter if gamers are a fan of casual PC/Mac poker of just looking for an easy way to score some Team Fortress 2 item upgrades, Poker Night at the Inventory is a great bargain that also happens to be a very good poker game with a most unusual collection of card competitors.
    Popular game of poker mixed up with memorable games-related characters could look stupid at first sight, but it works surprisingly well, even if you are a newbie to high stake games. [Issue#199]
  3. Jan 7, 2011
    Poker Night is weak on the fundamentals of card playing, but it's worthwhile for several hours of comedy dialog. [Feb 2011, p.78]